Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#12716 - 11/21/06 10:30 AM Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Washington
Here it is - you can now open any SONG.VR6 or SONG.VR5 file directly into Reaper!

Instructions:

1) Get your VS song onto your PC, you should see file names like SONG.VR6, EVENTLST.VR6, TAKE...

2) Install Reaper 1.40 or later.

3) Unzip and place this DLL into C:\Program Files\REAPER\Plugins:

http://www.integrand.com/vs/reaper_vs.zip

4) Start Reaper, choose "Open Project..." from the File menu and select your SONG.VR6 file.

That's it. There is your song!

Currently this plugin has been tested with the VS-1680 at MTP mode only. It should also work with the VS-1880.

Things I plan to do eventually:

- Support VS-2480, VS-840.
- Support MT1 and MT2 modes.

Note: this supercedes my previous reaper_mtp plugin, so be sure to delete reaper_mtp.dll if you plan to use this one.

Cheers,

Randy

#12717 - 11/21/06 10:52 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Houston, TX
Hey Mr. Go,

Once the Song is opened, Does Reaper allow exporting the project as an OMF or BWAVE format? And when Opening the song - does Reaper automatically know where to put the tracks (Track 1 ends up on Track 1, etc)?

I quickly read up on Reaper, and it seems like a fantastic little app - especially considering the motivation behind it.

People like you, Danielo, Bear, and the guy that created Reaper are A#1 in my book. Can't thank you enough for your hard work.

#12718 - 11/21/06 11:06 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

>Once the Song is opened, Does Reaper allow exporting the project as an OMF or BWAVE format?

I don't know the answer to that. You might try the Reaper forums.

>And when Opening the song - does Reaper automatically know where to put
>the tracks (Track 1 ends up on Track 1, etc)?

All virtual tracks used in the project will be laid out as consecutive tracks in Reaper. They will be named by their name known to the VS, like "V.T 1- 1" so they can be easily identified. I thought about creating folders, each containing all the virtual tracks for each track, but decided against that as it seemed clumsy. Currently all tracks come in unmuted, so you may need a few clicks to mute virtual tracks that are not active. When I figure out how to determine the active virtual track from the song, I will mute/unmute on import.

My main goal at this point was to have all the events for eack track laid out at the proper start and end times. This is the most important thing.

Cheers,

Randy

#12719 - 11/21/06 11:21 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

I like your "Mute Unused V-Tracks" idea - very cool indeed.

I DL'd Reaper (It is a FREE application that appears to be a very powerful DAW application for anyone who didn't know) - so I'll play around with it. I'll have to wait until you port this DLL to work with the 2480 VR1 files before I can try it out with a VS Song...

Rock on

#12720 - 11/21/06 01:07 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Boray Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
 Quote:
Originally posted by Randyman...:
I DL'd Reaper (It is a FREE application that appears to be a very powerful DAW application for anyone who didn't know) - so I'll play around with it.
I just did that. After listening to the demo song for about 30 seconds, I pressed an icon named FX on one of the tracks and the whole program crashed. :rolleyes:

#12721 - 11/21/06 02:57 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
nyaben Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Virginia
I downloaded Reaper and have extracted .VR6 and .WAV files from a backup CD via bear's utility. I believe the SONG file is not being extracted however. This seems to be integral to using via Reaper. I'll have to check in with bear to ask about the SONG file extraction in his utility.

#12722 - 11/21/06 03:16 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
nyaben Offline
Planeteer

Looks like he is already working in this direction.

#12723 - 11/21/06 04:45 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
It works great on my first try!!!!

I took my special 1 second clips test vs project, and it brought it into reaper perfectly with all clips at the correct point on the timeline.

Then I rendered all tracks to .wav

These .wavs now all start at time 0 and can be brought into other DAWs.

I tried tracktion and sonar and both came up perfectly with all tracks in correct time relation.....

Randyman - reaper does not seem to support bwav or omf export, but as I said the render creates .wavs referenced to 0 on the time line.....

This is just way cool.....

#12724 - 11/21/06 05:18 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Nathan's Dad Offline
Planeteer

Woohoo!

Way to go Randy, can't wait to try it tonight on my 1880 songs!! I just bought a second Syjet scsi drive for $10 on ebay so I can keep one hooked up to my 1880 and the second one hooked up to my pc scsi interface. Then I can just move the 1.5 gig cartridges back and forth between drives.

:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks!

James
My IAC Page
James 1:17

#12725 - 11/21/06 05:21 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
nyaben Offline
Planeteer

bear, how do you use it with Tracktion? I use Tracktion and it would be great to get everything in order (all tracks sync'd properly).

#12726 - 11/21/06 05:24 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
nyaben Offline
Planeteer

Oh, I reread your post, bear...I think I see...I just have to use Reaper before Tracktion to create the wave files.

#12727 - 11/21/06 05:57 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

Loc: at the wave ranch dressing
Wow. This sounds cool, and sounds like what I was looking for.

Very cool.

uh, one question: where is the Reaper site or forum or doohah?

#12728 - 11/21/06 06:03 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Nathan's Dad Offline
Planeteer

Here you go flametop!

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
My IAC Page

#12729 - 11/21/06 06:29 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

Boray: don't give up on Reaper so easily, I'm sorry it crashed for you but Justin is obsessive about squishing bugs, so please report your problem in the Reaper forum.

Randyman...: Can you please PM me a zipped up EVENTLST.VR1 file from a VS-2480 project? I would like a test file to parse before I finish VS-2480 support in this plugin.

Regarding Tracktion support - I'm not going to do it, and it is probably impossible given the nature of the Tracktion product. A large number of Tracktion users have converted over to Reaper and there are more each day. Reaper has unstoppable momentum at this point - and Justin has so far been willing to open up some of the programming interfaces so things like this plugin are possible.

Thanks,

Randy

#12730 - 11/21/06 06:31 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
@nyaben - yes, for now putting into reaper first is a required intermediate step...reaper can then produce 0 timeline referenced .wavs if you want to work in a different DAW....

If Randygo releases his EDL convertor code, it may be possible to create 0 timeline referenced .wavs directly....it will be wasteful as far as disk storage, but hey disks are cheap these days.

or if tracktion or sonar can be made to use edl files this would work even better....

#12731 - 11/21/06 06:42 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
nyaben Offline
Planeteer

Thanks again bear.

I'll wait for your update to the CD image extractor (for SONG, EVENT files) and test with Reaper (I've installed Reaper and randygo's plug-in).

#12732 - 11/21/06 07:06 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

>(I've installed Reaper and randygo's plug-in).

nyaben, please note that the plugin is still useful even if you don't open the SONG file as a project. You can browse to your TAKEXXXX.VR6 files and audition or drag the media to the timeline.

Cheers,

Randy

#12733 - 11/21/06 07:08 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

>If Randygo releases his EDL convertor code

I do plan to do this eventually, the code is currently a little unruly and possibly embarrassing. I'm going to focus on getting this new VS plugin 100% before I deem it ready to open up completely.

Cheers,

Randy

#12734 - 11/21/06 09:21 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
nyaben Offline
Planeteer

Thanks randygo. I'll check it out when I can. I'm not sure I know what to do but I'll try to figure it out. Thanks much for your efforts.

#12735 - 11/21/06 10:08 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Danielo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Austria
Hi Randy,

I was looking at V0.94 of decode.c and it appears to me that most of the LIMIT_24 statements are not necessary as the decoded value cannot exceed 24 bit.
I also noticed (but im not a c expert) that the performance of the code might be optimized by putting all sequential operations of one array index in series such as:

Code:

out[0]  = MASK_L(in[13], 0x3f, 0); SIGN_EXTEND_6(out[0]); SHIFT_ROUND_6(out[0]);
            out[1]  = MASK_L(in[12], 0x3f, 2) | MASK_R(in[13], 0xc0, 6); SIGN_EXTEND_8(out[1]); SHIFT_ROUND_6(out[1]);

just an idea, i have not tested it.
I've sent you a mail with a 2480 song and eventlist today.

cheers

#12736 - 11/21/06 10:33 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
guitartb Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Over here
Will this work with a project backup disk, or does the playable song file need to be moved to the PC?

I've tried to copy data from backup disks to my PC (XP SP2) and I can't get it to copy. Gives an error message that says windows cannot recognize the file type.

#12737 - 11/21/06 10:57 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

Hi Danielo,

>most of the LIMIT_24 statements are not necessary

You are probably correct. I erred on the side of safety. I'll revisit this when I run out of other things to do.

>one array index in series such as:

That crossed my mind as well, but I thought it would make the code much less clear, but perhaps not.

At this point, I would like to spend some time doing analysis of the generated code before I proceed much further at guessing what the optimizations might be. Sometimes you can actually outwit the optimizing compiler and make the code run worse, when you think it should run better.

As they say, premature optimization is the root of all evil.

I do have an interest in tuning it eventually though, as my Reaper plugin can decode a potentially large number of MTP files in real-time, so every bit counts.

>I've sent you a mail with a 2480 song and eventlist today.

Awesome. I will slap in support for the VS-2480 tonight if I don't fall asleep first.

Cheers,

Randy

#12738 - 11/21/06 11:47 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by randygo:
Boray: don't give up on Reaper so easily, I'm sorry it crashed for you but Justin is obsessive about squishing bugs, so please report your problem in the Reaper forum.
Agreed - Give it a shot. Look at the kind of stuff that is ALREADY being written for it! And it is a free program. Do you think you would ever see Digidesign develop a RDAC Plug-in converter for PT? :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by randygo:
Randyman...: Can you please PM me a zipped up EVENTLST.VR1 file from a VS-2480 project? I would like a test file to parse before I finish VS-2480 support in this plugin.
I don't thnk I can attach a ZIP File in a PM - I'll need your e-mail addy. PM that to me and I'll send it to you...

#12739 - 11/22/06 12:52 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Nathan's Dad Offline
Planeteer

Randy,

I copied the new dll file per you instructions and when I open the SONG.VR5 on one of my 1880 songs REAPER gives an error messages that says:

The file:

G:\SONG0001.VR5\TAKE0C6F.VR6

Could not be found.
My IAC Page

#12740 - 11/22/06 01:31 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

>The file:
>
>G:\SONG0001.VR5\TAKE0C6F.VR6
>
>Could not be found.

Argh... I probably made an error getting the proper file extension. Sorry about that. I'll fix it tonight for you. I don't have a VS-1880, so you will have to bear with me.

The good news is it looks like it is almost there.

I bet if you renamed all your take files to have a VR6 extension that it would work :-). But don't do that, wait for my fix...

Cheers,

Randy

#12741 - 11/22/06 01:44 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Nathan's Dad Offline
Planeteer

Also, now that I tried to open the project in reaper, I have .VR6 take files with the same name as the .VR5 in my song folder on my scsi drive, but they are smaller files.

For example:

TAKE0C6F.VR6.REPEAKS

What's up with that?
My IAC Page

#12742 - 11/22/06 02:30 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

>TAKE0C6F.VR6.REPEAKS
>
>What's up with that?

Reaper, and most other DAWs, build "peak" files to assist in efficient rendering of the waveforms in the track display. By default Reaper places these in the same directory as the media.

You can go into "Options/Preferences.../Media" in Reaper and specify a different directory in which to create these. They can be safely deleted, but will need to be rebuilt if you want to see the waveforms in the track events.

Cheers,

Randy

#12743 - 11/22/06 04:33 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

>I copied the new dll file per you instructions and >when I open the SONG.VR5 on one of my 1880 songs >REAPER gives an error messages that says:
>
>The file:
>
>G:\SONG0001.VR5\TAKE0C6F.VR6
>
>Could not be found.

James,

Indeed, I was missing a string substitution. The new version will fix your problem:

http://www.integrand.com/vs/reaper_vs.zip

Cheers,

Randy

#12744 - 11/22/06 04:42 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Nathan's Dad Offline
Planeteer

Thanks Randy, I will give it a try.

James
My IAC Page

#12745 - 11/22/06 04:59 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Nathan's Dad Offline
Planeteer

Randy,

It works with my 1880 songs!!

You rock!

Thanks

James
My IAC Page

#12746 - 11/22/06 05:07 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

>It works with my 1880 songs!!

Cool! Onto making it work with the VS-2480 then...

Cheers,

Randy

#12747 - 11/22/06 09:52 AM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Danielo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Austria
randy,

got a mail delay msg, see below.
i uploaded the file onto our server now:

http://www.thegoodlibrary.com/VS2480Files.zip

cheers

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

-----
Hi Randy,

Sorry, i forgot to send you the stuff, here it is now, a Songlist File, an eventlist and a screenshot of the projects represented by the songlist. Hope you can use it.
Is that EDL File you create any general format, or reaper specific? my concern with that is, that i think it does not make much sense to go from one 'in the box' format to another 'in the box'...
i'm not experienced much with PC DAW/Mixing Software, so i may stop my project at the track export level.

cheers!

#12748 - 11/22/06 06:35 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Mike_Strat Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Albany, NY USA
Hiya Randygo,

Thank you so much for your efforts! Wunnerful, wunnerful!

Just to verify, I believe that there is no transferring tracks back into the VS recorder from Reaper, right?

Also, would it be possible, after importing VS tracks into Reaper, to then import those tracks from Reaper into another program, say SONAR?

Mike \:\)

#12749 - 11/22/06 07:39 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
randygo Offline
Planeteer

>Just to verify, I believe that there is no
>transferring tracks back into the VS recorder
>from Reaper, right?

Not at the project level using my plugin - its a one-way thing VS->Reaper. It is a much more difficult problem to support the other direction. Besides, I would be worried about corrupting the original VS data in any way.

>Also, would it be possible, after importing VS
>tracks into Reaper, to then import those tracks
>from Reaper into another program, say SONAR?

From Reaper you can save the project as EDL, which Sonar might be able to import. However, as my plugin stands now it handles the MTP RDAC media directly, which Sonar will not understand. I may make a hybrid-mode for my plugin so that it can open the SONG file directly, but refer to WAV media that has been converted from RDAC instead of the RDAC media directly. But this is not of much interest to me. You can always render tracks to WAV using Reaper and then import the resulting track-length WAVs into Sonar. Chews up a lot of disk space though. Depending upon how open and pluggable the Sonar environment is, perhaps someone can write a similar plugin for Sonar once I release the source code. I doubt that Sonar is that open though.

Cheers,

Randy

#12750 - 11/22/06 08:07 PM Re: Open and Play VS Songs in Reaper !
Nathan's Dad Offline
Planeteer

Randy,

So how will this all benefit you? Just curious. You may have already said this before.

Thanks

James
My IAC Page

Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to:
Who's Online
2 registered (jimmyrock, E Beau) and 65 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
fabulousthunderbird
RGR
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
String Jammer
Xenophile
Dave Morris
T57Strat
slotz
GAMBLE
Jammer
Liquidirt
SteveW
JazAddict
motown59
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
160066 Topics
1853815 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.035 seconds in which 0.021 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.