Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1575553 - 06/23/18 08:40 PM All Your Internet Belong to US!!
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

There's a discussion about browsrs. Firefox is my primary browser. Chrome is secondary. But I'm very paranoid about google's data collection. Although I use Gmail, I'm aware that they scan it and collect data to help sell you advertising.

I've heard there is a move afoot to try and rip facebook, google and the internet big-dawgs away from their 'advertising' business model. It may lead to pay-for-access user service. YouTube (google) demands that you at least sit through the first 4 seconds of some ad they think your viewing tendencies make you a prime candidate for. But who likes it? Who actually buys based on net advertising? It's an annoyance for which nobody really benefits.

There's a new online sport - watching video gamers compete. There are nerds who are becoming viral heroes and a whole new arena for adviertisers to market to millions of viewers.

Advertising has always been a necessary evil for free content, on television, radio, roadside billboards... and now the internet ((for example, facebook). Sad to say, it's impossible to live ad free in America.

Advertisers appeal to our base wants and needs, telling us, "You DESERVE our products", "You can be like 'this famous beautiful spokesmodel' if you use our product.

Step back - think about it, what are we teaching our kids? How in hell is this a healthy paradigm for our society?

#1575576 - 06/23/18 11:19 PM Re: All Your Internet Belong to US!! [Re: FatherApe]
moontan Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Sol III
i've started using the Epic browser today.
it's built on Chromium, but with privacy in mind.

https://www.epicbrowser.com/

#1575582 - 06/24/18 12:03 AM Re: All Your Internet Belong to US!! [Re: FatherApe]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
 Originally Posted By: FatherApe
There's a new online sport - watching video gamers compete. There are nerds who are becoming viral heroes and a whole new arena for adviertisers to market to millions of viewers.
And the laughable thing is that they call the competitors "athletes"

#1575590 - 06/24/18 02:14 AM Re: All Your Internet Belong to US!! [Re: Mooseboy]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

Of course - nothing escapes 'Marketing' lingo. Technically, I guess they do have some of the most thumb dexterity going...
#1575597 - 06/24/18 07:32 AM Re: All Your Internet Belong to US!! [Re: FatherApe]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
For anyone that doesn't know: a breakdown of all of the data Google and Facebook have about you.

You can delete much of your info from Google so that it least does not show up on the web. It's supposedly deleting info fro Google, but we know it's backed up. Still good info and how deep this all runs and a way to stop your info from being accessed from a simple web search.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1575602 - 06/24/18 01:27 PM Re: All Your Internet Belong to US!! [Re: MadGuitrst]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

It's extremely disappointing to me. However, not surprising. But even in my early twenties - around 1990 - I began to be hyper aware of and sensitive to intrusive marketing. Of all kinds.

Door to door sales
Landline telemarketing
Billboards and signage
Ads on TV - but then ads on subscription cable TV - and the increase in volume during ad breaks
Mobile phone telemarketing - which is out of control
Branding in music and motion pictures
And now the privatization and mass data collection via the internet

I resent it. Deeply.

#1575605 - 06/24/18 01:41 PM Re: All Your Internet Belong to US!! [Re: Webster]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

I'm with you Webster, and have been since about the same time you becamse aware.

o Browser: Mozilla FireFox
- in Private Browsing mode
- Ad blocker on
o Searches: DuckDuckGo is my default search engine. It doesn't track your searches.

I do used GMail for one of my email accounts, but may look for options on that too.

Your tips and recommendations?

#1575623 - 06/24/18 04:04 PM Re: All Your Internet Belong to US!! [Re: FatherApe]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
Private browsing is not private at all, it only deletes cookies after each session. So, if say at work (or anywhere), you're not hidden.

If you want private, a VPN is probably about the best solution, but even that is not a guarantee.

You can also use Tor Browser, which runs off of Firefox. Basically speaking, Tor changes your ip address and is a kind of wanna be faux vpn.

Also, use one of the safer search engines, like DuckDuckGo, Startpage, or IXQuick. Startpage is supposedly the most Google like in search results, whereas DuckDuckGo isn't Google-ish at all (but that's just be the point), and the search return is relatively limited.

The Epic Privacy Browser that moontan linked to looks very interesting. moon is great at finding/uncovering such things. If it works as advertised, it supposedly has a vpn....and for free.

You'd have to ask moon, though, as I am just getting around to trying it and I was an azzhat to him as I slipped up again.....I am truly sorry moontan.

As for email, afaik, unless it is encrypted it's not private or secure.

With that said, as for functionality, I like web based Microsoft Outlook. It has a suite of the MS products like Word, Excel, etc. The new(er) interface is a bit quirky, but...
Also, I got on early when I could could pick whatever name I wanted. I still use Gmail and think it is good.

Listen, the giants are tracking you everywhere. The only thing to do is try to be smart, safe, and consider erasing your tracks as is listed on the link I posted above. Well, there is one more thing and I think that I am going to try it, and that is a paid service to kinda erase you from the net. Then again, maybe that's the next security breach. In any case, the link I provided has really good info. I only did one thing on one device, but I am going to start doing the three main devices I use for the internet.

Good luck.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159897 Topics
1851341 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.