Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#646956 - 01/30/07 09:51 PM How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
J.T. Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Sticks
For several months at a time..... Or even most of a year.

Did it rip your family apart or just make you stronger?

#646957 - 01/30/07 09:56 PM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
It made me have to work even harder for at least another 5 years....just to pay the child support! \:D :banghead:

That is, until I got custody of my son when he was seven.

#646958 - 01/30/07 10:00 PM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: SL.UT
once, quite a few years ago, i was on the road for 53 straight weeks, without a single day off.

that was a bit tough.
i was single, so i just went with the flow.

#646959 - 01/30/07 10:09 PM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
kid-surf Offline
Planeteer

I was on tour for a different reason. Modeling, overseas.

I had a girl, so that was tuff... We ended up getting married, though, so it worked out.

I wouldn't want to tour at this age... but if you have to, you have to.

Good luck...

#646960 - 01/30/07 10:10 PM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Pensacola, FL
I’ve thought about this myself and even talked about it with my wife before we got married. She has always said that she’d be supportive, and I think she wants to be. But we have two kids now in the course of our 3 plus year marriage; so, the truth is that I don’t know the answer to this one. I’d hope that my wife would be supportive if I decided to do that gig. I have zero doubt that I’d fool around or do anything stupid like that, but there are more issues than just trust involved in this scenario for us.

Anyway, I’ve never done that sort of thing. As a single guy I gigged a lot, but never did tours for weeks or months on in. I had friends and bands mates that did, and it was hard enough on those guys—most of whom were single. I know that would take its toll on a family, but if I were making good money at it then I might consider doing it. Otherwise, I’d never put my family through the hardship without knowing theirs some significant financial gain at the end of the rainbow.

mm

#646961 - 01/30/07 10:54 PM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
Brian Roberts Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Department of Inexplicable...
Heh, heh--yeah, I toured for a couple years. Wound up getting divorced. However, I didn't leave the wife behind--she was in the band. (Fortunately, no kids). She ended up getting married to the bass player.

Damn I hate losing a good bass player. :banghead:

Yup--touring is a young single person's game IMO.

"hey, what's a half-step among friends?"
Old songwriters never die...they just decompose. \:p

#646962 - 01/30/07 11:03 PM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I don’t know BR. . maybe I’m delusional, but I tend to think that it can be done. From a spouse’s standpoint I don’t think it would be much different than being married to a military person who often gets deployed. . . some women can handle it and some can’t.

Like Is aid, if I was able to provide significantly well for my family by doing music fulltime and de facto touring for months out of the year I think my wife could probably handle it. Other couples have done it. . so, why not?

mm

#646963 - 01/30/07 11:13 PM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
Brian Roberts Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Department of Inexplicable...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Memphis Monroe:
Other couples have done it. . so, why not?

mm
Hey, Chris--

I'm not saying it's not possible--I would think the farther you are up the food chain in the music industry, the more managable it might be, i.e. if you can fly home for the weekends, or fly your family out to visit you, or if you can dictate to your management and you can arrange your tours to be two weeks or less per outing between times off. Usually that's not the case though for a typical touring group.

But regardless, there is no doubt in my mind that it adds stress to the relationships of people who are not fully cognizant of the implications of lengthy separations.

I don't know if anyone has compiled stats on the odds of civilian marriage failures vs. military marriage failures, but how men military men receive "Dear John" letters while stationed away?

So, again, I'm not saying it can't be done--but I suspect it increases your odds of running into issues "down the road" (so to speak). ;\)

"hey, what's a half-step among friends?"
Old songwriters never die...they just decompose. \:p

#646964 - 01/30/07 11:37 PM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
Monkey Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Kansas City
Two of the three married members of Tool are now divorced (Well Maynard was not married but had the same girl for like 15 years).
Adams wife travels with the band in thier own bus.
Danny left his wife.
Maynards girl friend broke up with him.

I changed shifts every 2 weeks for 20 years or worked graveyard. Only seeing my wife on some weekends and maybe 1/2 hour per day. I think that helped our relationship.

BUT the touring life seems to have taken a toll on the guys in Tool.

#646965 - 01/30/07 11:40 PM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Yeah, I agree BR. . It definitely increases your odds of divorce. . there's no doubt about that.

#646966 - 01/30/07 11:48 PM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

The thing is that I love my wife to death. I think she’d want to trust me, but I know her. She’s very jealous. . red Irish blood through and through. . She has a tempter, and she tends to get carried away with things even if I haven’t done anything. . .women. . I’ve gigged and done local tour type stuff enough to know what that’s like. A lot of good looking women like to flirt and even have flings with rock star band guys. In my single days—which wasn’t too long ago—I took full advantage of that whenever I could. Now, I know myself and I know that I’d never do anything like that to my wife. On some level I think my wife knows that too, but like I said, she’s the jealous type; so rationality goes out the window once she so much as sees a pretty girl eyeing me. \:o

Chris

#646967 - 01/31/07 12:09 AM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
kid-surf Offline
Planeteer

MM -- That's a recipe for disaster...

Your wife needs to get over it. In my modeling days I'd have shoots with half naked girls draped across me, shows where girls (and I) were naked back stage, 'go sees' where I'd have to kiss some random girl for commercials and such. My wife was never jealous. I'd come home and she would be, say, taking a Colin Farell to a premiere. She'd tell me how George Clooney kissed her cheek... whatever else. I wasn't the least bit jealous.

Years later there are still many situations that 'require' each of us be around good looking people away from each other. 

Without trust you ain't got much.

I think your wife needs to get out more... do some things away from you and establish her own interests that don't involve you. Then maybe she won't be so clingy/needy. That's not an attractive quality, IMO.

#646968 - 01/31/07 12:16 AM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
ickalien Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Denver
I toured for six years off and on (mostly on) with about 6 bands. Not one single marriage or relationship lasted. That's..... let's see...... 24 or 26 couples caput! That's not counting the "in-between-bands". You know, the bands you played in to make money until the good band/gig came along.

Young and single was the only way to tour. Several very good musicians lost thier jobs because the lady they brought along on the bus was a huge distraction or problem to the group. Never saw it work except when I was a side-man and the main man had his and his ladies own transport and habitation.

#646969 - 01/31/07 12:40 AM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
ryan stone Offline
Planeteer

Loc: bris aust
I so want right now to be on tour for ever. I would miss my son imeasurably but if it got me away from his mother then great. I will get some time out next week and the week after,that is till I find my own digs elswhere.
Touring was never a prob with her its just when I come home SHEEESH!!!

Ryan Stone (cowboy)

#646970 - 01/31/07 01:56 AM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
I never had a family while playing out, maybe for all that came with it. I was a full tilt musician: a musically obsessive egomanic, carefree and careless, and a sexaholic to boot.

Well, at least I had a job with no benefits or security. \:D

In all, you'd need to have a strong relationship with a strong wife/girlfriend. It would be preferable that she have a good support group (family, etc.)

I would NOT want to miss the growing years of my kids; I don't know what could replace that. What would it take? How much money? How much future security gained? How much time would have to be lost to gain it? If it was necessary to support the family, well....you do whatever it takes.

As for a wife/girlfriend: If she can't support you through that then there are questions IMO. Then again, who am I to say? I could understand the difficulties that could face many relationship/family situations - there are just so many variables; however, trust isn't one of them.......

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#646971 - 01/31/07 01:56 AM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
Ooooppps \:o

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#646972 - 01/31/07 02:08 AM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
fonts Offline
Artist #4
Planeteer

Loc: The North Coast
...I "toured" but fer my day job...years at a time living away from my family...on and off though, several months living alone, then some months of them moving to where I was "gigging"...but never apart for more than a few weeks at its worst..very, very tough, at least for me...

...and, we became stronger because of it...

...we don't take being together for granted \:\) ...

#646973 - 01/31/07 02:44 AM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
I stayed on the road for about two years- got laid WAY more times than I can possibly count, but god almighty, none of those times was with protection. I can't believe that I was able to avoid getting STD's all over the place. Wouldn't do that now for all the tea in China!

Touring (at the level that I did it) is indeed a young man's game. Of course, if Joe Walsh goes tits-up and The Eagles call, then I'd sure consider it. But only if Don Henley would keep his mouth shut \:D

#646974 - 01/31/07 03:25 AM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
strat1376 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: New York, USA
I toured for almost twelve years, but I was married only for the last three and found out right away that I was going to have to make more of an effort to get home as much as I could. When your working that kind of a schedule there are usually times when you can get away for a day or two if your near enough to home. I kind of equated it to driving a truck, If I was within 6 hours of home I would drive home for as long as I could stay. I also agree with mooseboy, touring at that level is a young mans game, the last couple years I hated it and I was only 31 when I gave it up. A "tour" for me now would be a weekend opening a new Walmart or something (as long as someone else did the driving)It did create some, ah , lets say marital "strife" because my daughter was born a year before I quit and women tend to get a little antsy after that happens. So after a few "your a father now, its time to grow up" arguments I got out.

#646975 - 01/31/07 05:02 AM Re: How many here have been on a tour where you have been away from your family?
Liege Maximo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Tx
I spent two summers touring with the English Beat, 7 months touring with a country band from Minnesota, and 2 years with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and she took me back every time.

She pretty much put her foot down 2 years ago. Said she had enough. I signed up for another 2 month orchestra contract on RCCL, and quit after a month. I'm done. Unless it's BIG money I aint goin nowhere.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159765 Topics
1849750 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.