Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1243248 - 09/12/13 09:36 PM Only hearing mono
DINAHMITE Offline
Space Cadet

When I record, I'm using the ez router and entering the correct info but when I start recording, I only hear a mono sound from my headphones and of course during playback too so I'm obviously doing something wrong. Anyone have an answer?

Also, does anyone else have the frustrating disc memory full that comes up when you are trying to record? Does using the undo rather than trying to record over mistakes help avoid that?

Thanks

#1243257 - 09/12/13 10:29 PM Re: Only hearing mono [Re: DINAHMITE]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Yes, using undo instead of just recording over mistakes absolutely cuts down on the disc memory full messages. Undo keeps the newly recorded region a data to a minimum. Recording over a previous take adds more data and does not delete the old data.

The only time you should be concerned about hearing mono input and playback is when the input signal and/or the recorded playback is in stereo to start with, or you are trying to hear a mono signal, or track that has been panned left or right of center.... hard left and right producing the most detectable results.

Are you recording or playing back something that has a single source, such as one microphone, a standard guitar/bass signal, etc? Or are you recording/playing back a stereo source signal, such as a stereo CD player, stereo keyboard, two microphones picking up two individual source sounds?...... these would all have two cables and be plugged into two jacks and/or recorded to/played back through a stereo (linked) channel pair.

Give us more details about what you're recording/playing back and how it's set up and we can be more direct in our attempts to explain and help you out.

#1243263 - 09/12/13 10:49 PM Re: Only hearing mono [Re: uptildawn]
Wish Administrator Online   content
🌴 VSP Moderator 🌵
Planeteer

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
You can adjust the tracking pan by doing the following.

Hold the shift button and press the track status/vtrack button of the track you want to adjust the pan on, and that will take you to a menu.

Press the down arrow and that should take you to the track cue pan setting menu. Adjust the pan for that track using the dial.

Rinse and repeat for your other tracks.

Welcome aboard.

#1244322 - 09/18/13 05:19 PM Re: Only hearing mono [Re: uptildawn]
DINAHMITE Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer. Initially, I was going out of my laptop with a stereo track (1/8 inch with two quarter inch outs going to track 1 & 2 on recorder and tracked as 1/2 recording to 5/6.

Then, I recorded a vocal by putting mic into 1 and recording to track 3.

Was only hearing both track and vocal in record and playback in one side of headphones. Then I went out from master to CD recorder and still on one side.

Perhaps it's in mix down where the problem occurs although my pan is straight up.

I will do what was suggested and see if that helps and report back.

Thanks all!

#1244598 - 09/19/13 11:14 PM Re: Only hearing mono [Re: DINAHMITE]
Wish Administrator Online   content
🌴 VSP Moderator 🌵
Planeteer

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
The one thing that took me a long time to understand is that there are two separate mixers in the 840.

The main record/playback mixer and then the track cue mixer.

Once I figured that out, it made a lot more sense.

#1268255 - 12/28/13 07:05 PM Re: Only hearing mono [Re: uptildawn]
DINAHMITE Offline
Space Cadet

Sorry it's been so long a time. My usual set up is to take an already produced stereo track done in an outside studio and record it to the machine using a left and right input on either tracks 1/2 3/4 or 5/6.

I then take a mic and usually put it in input 1 and record a vocal. This is where I start hearing mono, but not as much concerned because it's just a mono over the stereo mix. It's when I'm attempting to mix that both the stereo track and the vocal is only ccming through one side of the earphones and ultimately on the transfer to the DVD burner.

i USUALLY DO THE EASY MIX MODE AND MAYBE I'M MISSING SOMETHING IN THAT process.

When I use the easy mix mode should the monitor select area be in a certain position?

When I first got this, I was not having this problem but it's been so long since I've used it, I'm wondering if it's something stupid that I've turned off somewhere.

Anyhoo,,,,,thanks for answering and I promise to check back in sooner.

#1268300 - 12/28/13 08:46 PM Re: Only hearing mono [Re: DINAHMITE]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Are you certain that the stereo tracks you got from the outside studio are indeed stereo? Have you listened to them to confirm that they are in stereo? Are there elements in the recording that would allow you to identify it as a stereo recording..... ie. rhythm guitar only in the left channel, or drums having an obvious stereo image, etc.?

Have you ever just listened to the stereo tracks you've just finished recording into the VS, before doing anything else, to confirm that they have been recorded in stereo and not in mono?

I'm curious as to whether you are possibly recording your stereo studio tracks into a pair of inputs that have been mono summed and thus recorded as dual mono, instead of separated L/R tracks.

The 840 manual seems to constantly suggest easy routing as the way to set up your inputs for recording. Does the 840 have a manual method for setting your track and input routing, as the 1680/1880 and beyond have?... where you can actually see the routing taking place in detail?

A friend of mine used to accidently cross-route stereo inputs, so that he ended up recording L and R signals into both inputs. It's an easy mistake to make in the virtual routing world. Is it possible that that's what's happening in your case?

Until you can confirm that:
1- your studio tracks are actually mono,
2- and the tracks, after being recorded into the VS, play back in stereo, there's really no way to address possible mis-routing further down the signal path.

Could you check these things out for us, so that we can better help you?

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159881 Topics
1851025 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.032 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.