Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1577303 - 07/13/18 06:40 PM Organizing question....
RD Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Michigan, someplace near a swa...
Loving the VirDis for both backup, sometimes main drive, and wav export...

I store whatever I send to VirDis to a file folder we created called wav files...

So, how should I organize things? For example, if I back up the same song again but track 5 is new/changed, how would you suggest we keep things organized?

I'm wondering if I should do a separate folder (within my wav folder?) for each song?

And then, if I'm changing just one track on the song is there a better way to backup just one track? Or, back up the whole song again after each session...

It's got to be an obvious answer for people used to working with computers but honestly, it has me a little stumped as to how to organize the workflow and the files are getting confusing in my wav folder.

Anybody have any ideas as to workflow with stotage and backups?

RD

Edited by RD (07/13/18 06:45 PM)

#1577312 - 07/13/18 08:03 PM Re: Organizing question.... [Re: RD]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
As a basic organizational process for me, when working on the PC.... I always create a main folder for projects and within that folder are each Song or Project folders. Sometimes a large Project may involve many individual Songs...

So far and as I might name things -
1- Audio Projects (the main audio projects folder)
2- Subfolder - 2018 Projects, 2019 Projects, 2020 Projects, etc.
3- Subfolder inside 2018 Projects - CD Project 2018, School Live Concert 2018, etc.
It's at this level that most of my track files will be stored - .wav files recorded in the daw, wav files extracted/exported from VSWE, daw data files, project notes, etc. - These are all unique to each Project folder and must be kept separate to avoid accidental overwriting of files with the same name between projects.

4- Sometimes a certain project will require sub folders, so that would often be to keep individual Songs for a CD project separate and often might be to keep things organized for easier searching down the road, or even to separate bundles of tracks that would be saved as DVD-R backups (before I started storing mainly to hard drives).

So, for me, working with VirDIS and the 1680 projects I want to save, I will do something similar - My habit has been this...

1- Main VirDIS folders for each file type - vHD, vCD, vBckups, etc. (it's expanding as of late with changes Mr. Casey has been working on).
2- Taking just the vHD as an example - every vHD (.HDD) I create is stored in the main folder and given unique names, usually containing major pertinent info - "2016 Bckup MTP 16 Songs 1GB", for example.

3- Usually, I will also create a .txt file for each vHD, using the same name, and store this in the same main vHD folder. This text file will contain a detailed account of each SONG that I've stored in the .HDD, because there's no other method I have for easily recalling what's stored on each .HDD I create, other than to load it into VirDIS and/or into VSWE.

4- For wav files I might export through VSWE, I create a folder for each SONG and give it a unique name to avoid possible overwriting of tracks. I have VSWE export the files to that particular folder and then will often use that folder as the main Project folder that I might use with the PC daw.... or at least I will make a copy of that folder of files to store with my daw Project folders.

5- Another method I've often had to incorporate is to use Bear's ripper (CD2Roland) to extract files from my old CD-R backups. These I can open in VSWE to export .wav files from the VS tracks, just as I do now with the VirDIS .HDD files. I use the same filing method for those CD extracted files, storing them with the VSWE .wav files for each individual SONG.

Sorry this is so long winded!

As for updating changes to the SONGS/Projects...
The method I use most often in the daw is to save a new session name for each major set of changes I make to a project, all stored within the Project folder - So, it might start with "2018 School Concert", then 2018 School Concert Begin Edits, the 2018 School Concert Begin Mix, etc. I hardly ever go backwards to earlier stages, but there have been those times when it's been indispensable. The daw creates its data files by using the unique name of each session, so storing those all together is not an issue.

I suppose to do this with ongoing projects in VirDIS, you might create an .HDD for each Project, rather than for an entire physical hard drive or even partition (like I tend to do with the 1680 SONG backups).
You'd need to anticipate a certain generous .HDD size, based on some estimate of your typical project size???..... It's always been a question of size needed vs size wasted for me......

The size would have to be large enough to accommodate all the tracks you may record, bounce, overdub, import - from inception to completion. You always want to make it a bit larger than you need, too..... allows for data the machines may want to create and for unforeseen changes/additions.

Or you might create one large .HDD to accommodate multiple versions of a single SONG - Session updates to new names, for instance.

That's just my perspective and it's way too long...... sorry for that. I hope it helps a little bit.

#1577323 - 07/13/18 09:19 PM Re: Organizing question.... [Re: uptildawn]
RD Offline
Planeteer

Thanks!! I'm going to digest that slowly! Lots of great methods there...and you nailed every question I have...

I really appreciate your long and detailed directions!

Rick

#1577338 - 07/13/18 11:37 PM Re: Organizing question.... [Re: RD]
RD Offline
Planeteer

I've read your answer multiple times and the light is starting to come on now :-)

#1577354 - 07/14/18 02:07 AM Re: Organizing question.... [Re: RD]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Basically, keep individual projects and/or songs separate from each other. It avoids accidental and sometimes major problems.

That's especially true when using the CD2Roland ripper - even the song folders need to be renamed after ripping a CD-R, unless you want to reassign your main rip-to folder every time. That's a hassle and not as useful as renaming the song folder it ripped the tracks to.

VSWE will name things according to the title of your project/song, so there isn't as much chance of corruption, unless you use the generic Roland titles - InitSong xxx is not a great name to rely on.

And with VirDIS, keeping track of what's in your .HHD, or CD, or whatever bins is the most difficult part of organizing, since the title can only contain so much information.

One other thing - careful about how many subfolders deep you go - maybe do a little online searching for suggestions about how deep Windows likes to let you stack folders. I seem to recall there can be issues, but that info may not be relevant today as it was when I read it.....

Edited by uptildawn (07/14/18 02:11 AM)

#1584705 - 09/13/18 11:53 PM Re: Organizing question.... [Re: uptildawn]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
We create a FOLDER for the client --

under that > we have the YEAR ( since many return years apart )

And then the CD TITLE and finally : follow each with the PROJECT songs.

When the Virdis folder is loaded into the VS 2480 -- we take a photo of all the songs contained .. (since there still is no way to view the songs in the folder over on the VIrDis ) >> that then is transferred to PC folder >> with a well documented title ..

Edited by C Jo Go (09/15/18 08:46 PM)

#1589257 - 10/20/18 02:39 AM Re: Organizing question.... [Re: C Jo Go]
RD Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for that!

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159741 Topics
1849567 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.