BluRdrCarl
(Planeteer)
02/26/15 05:57 AM
2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads?

Hey everybody, longggg time since my last post, lots of great info found here over the years, I am finally getting around to transferring my old tunes of my trusty 1680 into Pro Tools on my PC, Ive got all of the instructions on how to make this happen and well as a USB disk reader for my 1680 disk to allow my to plug it directly into my PC but none of the links for the VS Wave Export software or the VIRdis software seem to be good, theat thegoodlibrary site appears down, can anyone help me out? Thank you! -Carl

bear
(Planeteer)
02/26/15 08:41 AM
Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads?

Check your PM

JoelBrengle
(Space Cadet)
03/08/15 06:04 PM

Hello. I am new here and found this in the process of looking for the VS Wave Export download. Long story short, I'm firing up a new band and pulled out the VS-1680 to record practice and thought it would be nice if I could get the tracks into my DAW somehow. Can anybody help me with VSWaveExport? I had the same results as Carl, every download site I found was down.

Thanks in advance,

Joel

bear
(Planeteer)
03/08/15 06:38 PM

Check Your PM

erik_w
(Space Cadet)
03/26/15 09:58 AM

Hi. This is my first post. I finally got Virtual box and Windows 7 working on my Mac, only to find that I, too, cannot download VS Wave Export to convert my 10 year old VS-890 files. I would really appreciate it if someone could throw me a copy. Thank you very much.

bear
(Planeteer)
03/26/15 10:13 AM

Check your PM

CodyY
(Space Cadet)
04/03/15 04:05 PM

Can anyone help me get the converter?

bear
(Planeteer)
04/03/15 08:23 PM

Check your PM

musheenhed
(Space Cadet)
04/23/15 05:55 PM

Can someone please send me a link for vs wave exporter?
I am unable to locate anywhere. All the links I have tried seem to be dead ends.

bear
(Planeteer)
04/23/15 06:35 PM

Check your PM

Davey54
(Space Cadet)
04/24/15 11:05 AM

Please add me to the latest chorus of searchers for the fabled "VS Wave Exporter" who have tried the link to "The Good Library" - which is evidently now "The Dead Library". I would be quite grateful if someone could point me in the right direction towards this file.

Davey54
(Space Cadet)
04/25/15 07:05 AM

Bear: Thank you so much for that link. This looks like a great program. I can't wait to start using it. But I wonder: why not simply post the download link here in public so people can just download it without bothering you for it? Just wondering. Thanks again!

bear
(Planeteer)
04/25/15 08:43 AM

Last time that was done it ended up corrupted giving trojan messages.

Davey54
(Space Cadet)
04/25/15 11:08 AM

Ah! Well, hopefully there's been enough references here to VS WAVE EXPORTER PROGRAM IS AVAILABLE HERE that a google search will hit this page. Thanks again!

Davey54
(Space Cadet)
04/26/15 12:44 AM

Ok, now for the obvious follow up question. Is there a plausibly simple way to take a collection of WAV files from another DAW and put them back into the VS? I see some discussion here that appears to be very old, that revolves around the use of an external zip drive. But, obviously, if this program, the VS Wave Exporter, can directly read from a VS formatted hard drive (in RDAC format I assume?) then why isn't the reverse also possible? If the specs were actually available for the Wave Exporter to be written (which obviously they were at one point) those same specs should allow a knowledgeable programmer to do the reverse. I'd be willing to take on that challenge if that's the only real option and someone could point me to the specs....

bear
(Planeteer)
04/26/15 02:31 AM

There was never any "spec" for anything. All of this was developed from seat of the pants reverse engineering.

Although perhaps theoretically possible - it is a much harder task to go the other direction. It was never done and probably never will be...

murex
(Space Cadet)
04/29/15 12:21 PM

Hi Bear, I'd also appreciate a link for the Wave Eport tool.

My internal HD is not being recognized by the VS1680 (I'm just being prompted to initialise the drive) so I'm hoping to extract the contents with an IDE to USB adapter.

Thanks

bear
(Planeteer)
04/29/15 02:40 PM

Check PM

Although off hand it sounds like your HD has just gone bad... it may not be possible to read it with an adapter either... good luck

murex
(Space Cadet)
04/29/15 06:47 PM

Thanks for the link bear. I removed the drive and looked at the soldered joints on the HDP88 with a high magnification lens. I could see that there were several pins with dry joints /suspect soldering and others with a dull finish. These pins were for the drive connector - the pins for the board connector were all good with a shiny surface to the solder. I re-soldered the 44 drive pins on the adapter (must admit I don't like such miniature work) and carefully cleaned any small traces of solder away to avoid the chance of bridging. I was very relieved to see the drive recognized !
Still, it's good to have a means to backup the HD.
Thanks.

ChrisAngus
(Space Cadet)
05/02/15 09:19 PM

Hello, everyone =

I, too, am unable to locate a non-malware source for the Cd2Rol & VS Wave Export utilities. Can someone please send me a link(s) for these beaasties?

Mahalo (Thanks!)

bear
(Planeteer)
05/03/15 12:41 AM

Check PM

Ed Ball
(Planeteer)
05/03/15 01:58 PM

Bear,
Could you do the same for me?

bear
(Planeteer)
05/03/15 05:36 PM

Check PM

Keyplayer
(Space Cadet)
05/08/15 06:40 PM

Hi Bear, Could I get that link for the Wave Eport tool? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

bear
(Planeteer)
05/08/15 09:14 PM

Check PM

crate_king
(Space Cadet)
05/14/15 11:21 PM

Hi guys I'm new to the forum I recently got a vs1680 and I'm loving it wanted to know if anyone has a copy of VS WAVE Exporter I tried to download it off there site but my anti virus protection said it looks like it has malware attached to it . Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me .

bear
(Planeteer)
05/15/15 09:29 AM

Check PM

crate_king
(Space Cadet)
05/15/15 04:27 PM

Bear,

Thanks I really appreciate it.

crate_king
(Space Cadet)
05/16/15 07:59 AM

Hi guy's I installed VS Wave Export and it didn't end up working was wondering if it might be because I'm using windows 7 .

bear
(Planeteer)
05/16/15 09:22 AM

Other people have used it on Win7 and it works fine. Probably should be run as admin...

what does "didn't end up working" mean?

Keyplayer
(Space Cadet)
05/16/15 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: bear
Check PM

Thanks a lot! ;\)

crate_king
(Space Cadet)
05/16/15 10:58 PM

Keyplayer,

I got this message when I selected run as admin

The file mscomctl.ocx is either missing or incorrectly installed

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/17/15 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: crate_king
Keyplayer,

I got this message when I selected run as admin

The file mscomctl.ocx is either missing or incorrectly installed

This happens sometimes, as evidenced by the number of google search results: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mscomctl.ocx+

It happened to me on one pc, but I don't recall how I fixed it. I know it was not a big deal though.

Here's one example of what happens and how it can be fixed, if it's just not registered correctly:
http://choorucode.com/2012/09/10/component-mscomctl-ocx-not-correctly-registered/
If you're not comfortable fiddling under the hood, then you should probably seek out a little bit more expertise advice. I just know it's common and easily remedied.

jerry1d
(Planeteer)
06/01/15 12:08 PM

I could use a clean copy of the Cd2Rol & VS Wave Export utilities if you wouldn't mind Bear? The birth of these utilities are a Godsend. It still floors me how through sheer force of will RDAC was cracked by you guys without any help from Roland!

T4c0t0wn
(Space Cadet)
06/08/15 02:32 PM

Hello, I am looking for VS Wave Export as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

bear
(Planeteer)
06/08/15 02:54 PM

check PM

T4c0t0wn
(Space Cadet)
06/10/15 10:16 AM

Thanks again!

manatthewindow
(Space Cadet)
06/16/15 09:17 PM

Is this the long awaited Holy Grail of VS storage? A method of transferring VS audio onto a PC?
Could I also get a PM please,Bear?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/16/15 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: manatthewindow
Is this the long awaited Holy Grail of VS storage? A method of transferring VS audio onto a PC?

Depends how you mean - long awaited and method of transferring...
Neither of which is actually accurate in this case. That certainly doesn't take anything away from how tremendously helpful these tools are (CD2Roland ripper and VSWaveExport). They are truly indispensable for most VS owners at some point or another.

Actually, that would be three tools - there's also the .dll plug-in that works inside of Reaper software daw..... also tremendous!!

These two tools allow a person to "transfer" by means of ripping VS backups from CD-R and then converting the resulting files into .wav form audio tracks, which can then be imported into a software daw for further work, or simply stashed away for safekeeping. They do not preserve the VS backup structure on the PC, however, and cannot be directly re-imported into the VS. It's very important to keep your CD-R discs safely away in case you should ever need to re-load the projects back to the VS, or find the need to re-rip them to the PC.

The "Holy Grail" you refer to may be the long-awaited second version of the VirDis software/hardware package that Bill Casey has been developing... That new version is still in development (Bill hasn't forgotten us), but progress has been repeatedly delayed..... We all grow anxious..... and then we wait some more. \:\)

bear
(Planeteer)
06/17/15 08:58 AM

Check PM

manatthewindow
(Space Cadet)
06/17/15 10:47 AM

Warning, Spoiler:
 Originally Posted By: uptildawn

Depends how you mean - long awaited and method of transferring...
Neither of which is actually accurate in this case. That certainly doesn't take anything away from how tremendously helpful these tools are (CD2Roland ripper and VSWaveExport). They are truly indispensable for most VS owners at some point or another.

Actually, that would be three tools - there's also the .dll plug-in that works inside of Reaper software daw..... also tremendous!!

These two tools allow a person to "transfer" by means of ripping VS backups from CD-R and then converting the resulting files into .wav form audio tracks, which can then be imported into a software daw for further work, or simply stashed away for safekeeping. They do not preserve the VS backup structure on the PC, however, and cannot be directly re-imported into the VS. It's very important to keep your CD-R discs safely away in case you should ever need to re-load the projects back to the VS, or find the need to re-rip them to the PC.

The "Holy Grail" you refer to may be the long-awaited second version of the VirDis software/hardware package that Bill Casey has been developing... That new version is still in development (Bill hasn't forgotten us), but progress has been repeatedly delayed..... We all grow anxious..... and then we wait some more. \:\)

Thanks, UTD.
I have to admit that I'm not even nearly up to speed on this subject. I've been reading through this excellent forum for a while before I registered to join and I can see that I'm well out my depth on the technical stuff.

I bought a VS-880 more or less as soon as it came out and I've always enjoyed working with it. I've never had a dedicated CD-R burner though. (I presume that it connected to the SCSI port?) I used to make back-ups through the immensely tedious and time-consuming process of saving all the data to a DAT recorder. My workspace and schedule in those days meant that I could tolerate that. I'd start saving to DAT when I was going to bed and I'd start checking the back-up when I woke up. Then I'd go and do my gig and when I came home I could start another recording session. All well and good but I can't work that way now.
Like so many others, I changed to PC in due course and mostly used Cubase. I hadn't used the VS-880 for a long time. Meanwhile I also acquired a couple of VS-1680s cheaply along the way because there's just something about working with the VS machines that I like and I've always felt pretty comfortable working with them. In the back of my mind I think I always felt that one day I'll use them a lot when I finally get the space.
But the big drag is still saving any projects that are worth preserving. A lot of stuff that I've recorded on a VS is really just part of my writing process and there's no real need for me to be able to go back to it once I've mastered the 2-track demo (to DAT) so I just erase and start again.

However, I have a project in the offing which involves recording another artist (a folk singer) in live gigs and then using those recordings as the basis for a decent production job. I'd like to use the VS-880 to record the gigs because it's so portable and self-contained. Once I take that home, I was considering connecting the VS-880 to one or both of my VS-1680s just to see how it would work out. However, given that this may lead to the production of several albums worth of material, I'd really like to be able to export the material that's not currently being worked up so that I can concentrate on polishing one track at a time into a well produced finished article and save the data before re-importing the next track.
The idea of doing with this by saving data to DAT might lead to me losing the will to live.

That's why I'm looking here for better alternatives.
Any suggestions will be very welcome.

P.S. Of course, I do realise that in many ways it would make far more sense to do this entire project on a PC but, as I mentioned earlier, there's something about working with the VS machines that simply pleases me. I like the effects, for a start, and I also like the noiselessness of the machine itself compared to the helicopter noises that come from computers. I also dig the simple physical process of pushing faders and pressing buttons, God help me!
And, most important of all, I like the final results that I've managed to get from the VS-880 over the years.

manatthewindow
(Space Cadet)
06/17/15 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: bear

Check PM

Thank you, Bear.

I have to say that I am in awe of the brilliance and helpfulness of some of the posters on this site, yourself included. You're providing a fabulous service.
Cheers!

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/17/15 12:13 PM

Hey Manatthewindow!
I completely relate to your history and feelings about the VS, as I'm sure many here must. I also started with the 880, just months after its release in the US. and quickly acquired a pair of 1680s in the next couple of years.

I've still got one 1680 and the 880 and had the same feelings about using them as you, however I've begun to rely on the convenience of the PC more and more and now barely use the VS recorders for regular duty.

A whole lot of that migration is due to the lack of support for connectivity to the rest of the world - It just should have been part of the natural evolution of these great machines!

I might suggest to you that using the 1680 for these live recordings, instead of the 880, might give you a bit better recording quality, seeing as how the 1680 uses 20 bit A/D converters (A bit better than the 880 - no pun intended). The 1680 also has phantom power on the first two inputs (should you need it), as well as low impedence xlr input jacks.

Personally, and regardless of which machine you choose to use,
I would strongly suggest that you use an external preamp in front of the VS. If you're using more than 2 channels at once, there are plenty of good analog-based 8-channel mic preamps on the market - especially the used market today - that would fill the bill. They'd give you much finer control over your input gain and I think you'd find the end result much better than relying on only the direct input to the VS.

Of course, you could also consider a preamp that has coaxial, or optical spdif digital out (2-channel), which you could input digitally into the VS, bypassing the input preamps altogether for an even more detailed sound (possibly) - I'm a fan of the analog route, myself, having mostly required 8 or more inputs at once for live recording, without submixing to 2 channel output.

I like live recording projects, if you couldn't tell..... I'm always happy to impart whatever experience I've gained from it to anyone who cares.... \:\)

manatthewindow
(Space Cadet)
06/17/15 01:32 PM

>>UTD: Many thanks again for your swift reply and helpful suggestions. \:\)

Perhaps I should tell you a bit more about the project?

I'm currently gigging with KJ, a folk singer who performs mostly Scottish and Irish songs. (I play piano or tenor banjo and sing harmony.) He has a magnificent, rich baritone voice. He also has a huge repertoire, as is often the case with folk singers. He knows literally hundreds and hundreds of songs and in the course of a week of gigs he can quite easily sing over a hundred different songs, (particularly when there are knowledgeable audiences who come up with obscure requests!)
He has previously made two albums which he hates so much that he doesn't even sell them at gigs. There are boxes of them sitting in his garage at home! However, he's still very keen to make recordings that he likes. Recently, an acquaintance of his asked me to make a song out a lyric she'd written and I recorded what I came up with on the VS-880. When KJ heard it, he loved the sound of it and said to me, "That's the quality of backing that I'm looking for." To be honest, that surprised me a bit but I said that I'd be happy to make backing tracks for anything that he wants to record.

Apart from the quality of his voice, he has two other strong attributes - he never goes out of time and he is remarkably consistent. If he performs a song twice in the course of a week, you could almost play the two performances in sync.
On the debit side, he's no musician. He performs with a guitar and he knows exactly nine chords (no 7ths, no barre chords!) Fast songs are strummed, slow ones are finger picked with exactly the same pick on the same five strings, regardless of the chord. \:\)

So. My plan is to use his performances as a template. When I get home, I'll keep his vocal as a guide and build up the backing around that (including replacing his guitar playing) and when that's done, he can then do his vocal again in controlled conditions. At that point, I can add any harmony vocals and sweeteners to the track before mixing. So although the starting point is a live performance, the finished article is really a studio recording built upon whatever he performs live over a series of gigs.

Convoluted, eh? However, I suspect that if this works and he likes the results, a whole series of albums could follow from it. So my provisional plan is to use the VS-880 at the gigs (because of its smaller size and my greater familiarity with it) then sync it to the VS-1680 when I get home. Then I'll 'trace' the performance on the VS-1680 and use that for the rest of the recording for the reasons of quality, etc. which you already mentioned.

Given that I'm likely to be adding piano, bass, 6- and 12- string guitars, mandolin, mandola, tenor banjo, tin whistles, fiddle, accordion, percussion, highland bagpipes, harmony/backing vocals, keyboards and any other sweeteners, I may end up syncing both of the 1680s together so that I can keep an EQ strip and fader available for each track for as long as possible before doing any reductions. (I'm a bit 'old school' that way.) ;\)

That's the plan! And, as I said before, the big problem at the moment is backing up the work as it progresses. I'll definitely want to archive this material for potential reworkings in the future (if the initial CD proves to be successful.)

Thanks again for your input. \:\)

bear
(Planeteer)
06/17/15 03:58 PM

If you do not have a CD burner, it is still going to be hard to get stuff from the VS to the PC... the only thing you can do is pull the harddrive out and hook it to the PC which is a pain.

Which is what UTD was talking about - VIRDIS will allow you to hook to the PC through the SCSI port. But it is not free - it is a hardware and software solution and costs about $300

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/17/15 04:56 PM

Great plan you have, Manatthewindow!
I agree with bear, both how difficult it will be to get your tracks managed - even to get them from the 880 onto the 1680 - without a proper CD burner that will do VS backups, as well as how useful VirDis could be for you (I guess bear didn't actually suggest you should have VirDis) - both in general and as a solution for your current, thoughtful and considered game plan (no matter that it is severely hampered by your reliance upon DAT backups!).

Considering how lucrative this project-relationship might be for you and your friend, KJ (lucrative in any sense of the word), if I were you, I'd be looking at getting VirDis, even in its current state (sort of caught between versions, with a more universal USB version in the works, but long-delayed). Again, if it were me, it would be worth the cost 100x over in saved time, effort, stress, you name it.

You might need to acquire an older PC that still has PCI slots, or at least PCIe, but you only need one of those slots (depending on the version of VirDis you might get) for the hardware SCSI card required.

VirDis could do away with your entire backup dilemma, allowing you to export your 880 live tracks to a VS Song file on the PC, then retrieving it into the 1680 for conversion to a 1680 format.
You could also (at least in my experience with VirDis) record to, edit and mix right on the PC-stored VS Song file (since VirDis makes the VS think it is writing to an external SCSI hard drive).

Now I don't think VirDis can make use of multiple VS machines at the same time, but if you use both 1680s (for instance), you'd likely be adding tracks to the second unit, while using midi to sync operation of the two machines and feeding audio from the second machine into the first (main unit) as a two-track (probably) digital feed for monitoring. In that case, you could probably set up things to record the two-track mix from machine two onto a pair of virtual tracks in your main Song File......

Ooo, seems to me that I'm getting way ahead here.... maybe I should stop and see what you're thinking.
This could be exciting for you!

manatthewindow
(Space Cadet)
06/18/15 08:06 PM

Bear and UTD:

Thanks again, guys, for your great input.

I've been taking into account all you've said and mulling it over for a day. I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that - at least for now - I ought to use the PC to get this project started. The notion of using the VSs is possibly hopelessly romantic at this moment although I'm determined to come back to it at some point. There's just something about using those machines that I really enjoy.
I may still involve the VS because I particularly like tracking things like harmony vocals on it (especially by using the varispeed). I could sync the VS to the PC and when I'm happy with the balance of the mix, record the result into the PC as a stereo pair.
I'll certainly look at VIRdis in the future but, unfortunately, this is not a good time for me to be spending money. Moreover, I'll need to make a start on this project as quickly as possible and initially it's probably better for me to stick to what I know how to handle.

Once again, thanks for your valuable advice. \:\)

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/18/15 09:09 PM

Hey! I know how you feel about using the VS for certain things - I go against the grain here and happen to like the sound I can get from the VS8F-2 FX cards... at least the effects I like to use on those cards.

In spite of how comfortable I've become using the PC for recording, there are still those certain things that seem easier on the 1680 - the vari-speed is one of those things. I also like how the UNDO/REDO works.

Your idea of going the other direction - using the pc for the live events, then using the VS for additional tracks - sounds like a good plan. Best of luck and fortune to you on this venture! I hope it really pans out.

EveofRelease
(Space Cadet)
06/19/15 12:55 PM

Hello, long time VS user but first time poster to VS Planet.. I actually came here looking for the VS Wave Export program to put in my laptop for when I get the new VirDis-2 device I'm on the list to receive, when it's complete.. Every link for the VS Wave Export program on the net is either dead or corrupt, so I was hoping to tap Bear for a copy, if it's not too much trouble.. Thank you for helping all of us old heads who refuse to switch to another DAW.. The Roland VS series is still the Apple of the recording world.. No other system is as integrated or stable as a Roland "Studio in a box".. I hope one day Roland decides to make the VS-3000 just to remind people who the true king of ergonmic and economic recording is. Apple was almost a joke for many years before people realized the perks to having a stable system that just works.. I actually have a PC with Windows 8, but I still know Apple equals stability. Thanks in advance for your help with the VS software!

bear
(Planeteer)
06/19/15 03:04 PM

Check PM

gonzo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
06/24/15 05:30 PM

I need to update my software as well..

soon, i'll be updating my DAW,
and i need to update the virdis and associated software to work with win 8.1

bear
(Planeteer)
06/24/15 10:24 PM

Can't help you with VIRDIS but go to your PM for VSWE download

gonzo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
06/25/15 12:01 PM

cool, thanks bear

stepsimon
(Space Cadet)
06/28/15 03:06 PM

Can anyone help me find a download of VS wave Export, please?

marshallamp63
(Planeteer)
07/10/15 09:44 PM

I am looking for VS Wave Export as well. Thanks

bear
(Planeteer)
07/10/15 11:56 PM

Check PM (both of you)

TroyD
(Space Cadet)
07/17/15 02:55 PM

Bear,

I hope this is the right forum, but I have a VS-1824, in process of getting Reaper on computer so I can utilize my VS files. Looks like I need the VS Wave Export tool?

I'm just transitioning into computer oriented recording so I'm a total novice with this form of recording.

Thanks

bear
(Planeteer)
07/17/15 03:00 PM

Check PM

TroyD
(Space Cadet)
07/17/15 11:34 PM

Bear, thanks for the quick response and link.

I have one question is the link for the .dll plugin (Randygo's Reaper VS Plug-In) in this zip file?

I tried the link but like yours is giving a warning advisory.

I'm looking forward to getting this all up and running and learning how to be able to utilize my VS files beyond just the VS unit.

bear
(Planeteer)
07/18/15 12:00 AM

The zip file I gave you link to has the dll in it along with the vswe program, the cd ripper ad a few misc readmes etc.

TroyD
(Space Cadet)
07/18/15 09:30 AM

Thanks again Bear! I'm going to try and get this up and running today. Appreciate the help.

TroyD
(Space Cadet)
07/18/15 12:01 PM

Bear,

Install, transfer of cd backup files, opening VS song files in Reaper, rendering to .WAV file all worked great! No problems at all there.

However, as I play the song file in Reaper there is a tremendous amount of static. I followed your advice to funkybeat earlier in this thread (pp. 2- 3; many years ago).

In the Reaper preference - audio/device settings mine too was initially the "Wave Out" - "Microsoft Sound Mapper" (input/output). My other audio options that I have tried are: "Direct Sound" with the Realtek (mic/stereo) option; ASIO - no drivers found; "Dummy Audio" - no static but no sound either; WASAPI (Windows 7/8/Vista).

Is there a driver I am missing or need to install? In the ZIP file you sent I only transferred the CD2Roland file and the reaper_vs.dll file to the appropriate files. I noticed in your zip file a RDAC.dll file. Is this also supposed to be with the reaper_vs.dll file?

I have an HP with Windows 8.1
Reaper did install by default into the program files (x86) directory. I tried the 32-bit download again and it still saved to the 86x directory. I read where you said it needed to be the 32-bit. Is there something here I need to change?

I know the solution is either a simple preference change or soundcard install. Any help here would be great.

Thanks

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
07/18/15 01:37 PM

Sounds to me as though you need to raise the size and number of buffers in Reaper, because your soundcard (onboard sound, right?) can't play back properly at whatever settings you have now, although it is attempting to do so.

I run into this all the time when trying to use the onboard sound.

What are your settings now?

For instance, using my old Audigy2 and SAW Studio on this computer requires that I use output settings for buffer size of at least 1024 samples x 4 buffers (Input settings should be the same in most cases, I'm told). On other computers, using just the built-in sound has often required that I up the sample size to double those settings to get distortion-free playback.

I don't have Reaper installed on this PC, but see if you can locate these settings in your Audio Device setup page and raise them until you get rid of the distortion... I'd bet that will work.
You may need to close and reopen the program after each adjustment to get the settings to take hold....... maybe not.....

You should be able to use MS Sound Mapper, by the way.

hottestinstreets
(Space Cadet)
07/18/15 02:30 PM

Hi Bear, can I get a VS Wave Export link over here too *thanks*

Related: currently on e-b-a-y a seller claims to have VS2480 mingling with USB2 via serial cable chain + "driver" disc, can anyone confirm? More info just search e-b-a-y "Roland VS 2480-PC/Laptop via USB2 + Rec Pro Tools audio in/out WAV/file transfer" ... seems too good to be true.

**eagerly waits for VIRDIS II standalone**

bear
(Planeteer)
07/18/15 03:06 PM

Discussion of ebay listing over on 2480 forum... my take - it is a scam... NO WAY a RS232 to USB converter can talk SCSI... it is physically impossible

Check PM for download link

bear
(Planeteer)
07/18/15 03:12 PM

@ TroyD - it sounds like you are trying to use the internal sound on the PC

Reaper REALLY likes ASIO drivers - download ASIO4ALL and try that

TroyD
(Space Cadet)
07/18/15 03:44 PM

UPDATE!!!

Thank you both Uptildawn and Bear for you quick responses!!!!

Bear, I downloaded the ASIO4ALL and is working perfectly. Uptildawn I'll have to look into those settings, I'm not sure at the moment. But with the newly installed ASIO driver I'll have to check. I do know that there is only 16ms of latency, so that's not too bad. Sound wise working great though now.

Here's what I discovered: I went through a song's tracks. The last track seemed to have a very exaggerated wave signal. So, upon closer examination, through a process of muting the other 8 tracks of this song, I found the distorted or static! It was the master track! When I muted and/or removed this track - the sound was perfect! I didn't realize when I made my back up copy that it also copied in the virtual master track as well.

I appreciate all your help and input. I finally feel like after 10+ years with my VS1824 and it's mastering limitations, I can finally start producing some consistent quality mastering. I always got compliments from the sounds & mixes, it was just that transition from mastering to CD that never quite worked with the VS system.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
07/18/15 04:14 PM

Glad to hear you got it ironed out and that ASIO4All is working for you.

If you ever actually do run into the issue I thought you were having here, consider what I suggested about those settings. sometimes, those settings might just be adjusted automatically and you may not be given a choice when relying on WDM driver and Windows mixer for your audio feed to and from.

Patino
(Space Cadet)
07/24/15 09:37 PM

I am looking for the VS Wave Export download. I have a VS-1824 with a lot of recorded material that I'd like to edit in my DAW. Can you help me with a copy of VS Wave Export?

Thanks in advance,

Gerpabo

bear
(Planeteer)
07/24/15 10:11 PM

Check PM

wavelab
(Space Cadet)
08/11/15 06:49 AM

@Bear:
Hi, would you be so kind to PM me the link to the downloadable "VS Wave Export" file?
I would be really grateful!!

Regards.

TreeDragon7
(Planeteer)
08/11/15 07:43 AM

I have a version from 3 or more years ago. has there been any improvements or new v. ?

bear
(Planeteer)
08/11/15 09:30 AM

Check PM

Moquer
(Space Cadet)
08/17/15 05:12 AM

I can't find this download.Can someone help

bear
(Planeteer)
08/17/15 10:06 AM

Check PM

Chris_Malme
(Space Cadet)
09/09/15 10:54 AM

Hi

Another new user here, looking for this. Would appreciate a PM too. Thanks

Chris

bear
(Planeteer)
09/09/15 11:28 AM

Check PM

Heartwaves
(Planeteer)
09/10/15 11:35 AM

Does this work for Mac as well? If not, what does? Thanks!

bear
(Planeteer)
09/10/15 12:19 PM

No Mac - except bootcamped with windows

dkfackler
(Planeteer)
09/12/15 03:31 PM

For Mac, VirtualBox and XP work fine too.

DK

Ramon
(Space Cadet)
09/18/15 11:30 AM

Hello Forum. Been reading VS-planet for years, now a member. Thanks for the great info. Can I get the link to wave export tool as well. I did not see the VSR880 listed but I hope the tool still works with files created on the VSR880. Thanks in advance for creating this excellent tool.

zam
(Space Cadet)
09/24/15 05:13 AM

@Bear:
Sorry to bother with that again !
Could you please pm me the link to the downloadable "VS Wave Export" file ?
Time to dust off some old songs !
Thank you so much...
Zam

bear
(Planeteer)
09/24/15 10:36 AM

Check PM

Jack_Nelson
(Planeteer)
09/24/15 04:14 PM

I have v1.24a....is this still the current version?
If not, dare I ask you to....er.....
Thank you!

ExOrg
(Space Cadet)
10/06/15 02:58 PM

Please add me to the "I need a clean copy of the 'VS Wave Export' file" club. I have an entire LP I recorded with a group in 1999 sitting in my 1680 and an offer to get it mixed and released. Thanks so very much in advance.

bear
(Planeteer)
10/06/15 03:31 PM

Check PM

TreeDragon7
(Planeteer)
10/06/15 04:50 PM

heck , I
'll take on also. not sure if mines up to date

thanks

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
10/06/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeDragon7
heck , I
'll take on also. not sure if mines up to date

thanks

If your works and has not been flagged as containing a virus by your antivirus software, then it's more than likely up to date..... Bear just insists on supplying a known fresh copy to those who ask because they haven't been able to find a clean copy on the internet in some years... especially since the one linked website went down that is in all of the stickies here...

Kwalsh24
(Space Cadet)
12/14/15 02:10 PM

I'm attempting to back up a friend's vs-1680 to his system. Could I get a copy of the backup software? Thanks!

scalo62
(Space Cadet)
12/25/15 02:53 PM

Hello. I'm recording with my band and pulled out the VS-1680 to record practice and i want to get the tracks into my computer. Can anybody help me with VIRdis or VSWaveExport ?

Many Thanks

Steven - Italy

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
12/25/15 03:45 PM

VirDis is something you'll need to buy - is not free.
You can read some about the current version here: http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=12698 and here on the forum, with a search or two.

It can be purchased on ebay, U.S. here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-VS-2480-1680-880-VirDIS-Backup-WAV-transfer-/121572337813

And here is a youtube link to an instructional video made by a planeteer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j9i60YKZhk

VSWaveExport can be supplied to you ONLY by "Bear" (reliably so) at this time. You can PM him, or wait to see if he replies to this post of yours.

Welcome to the Planet, by the way.
I hope you find your way around okay.

scalo62
(Space Cadet)
12/25/15 04:00 PM

Ok thanks.
I wait for the response of Bear for VSWaveExport, otherwise I'll write to him.
Thanks for the welcome. ;\)

bear
(Planeteer)
12/26/15 10:42 AM

Check PM

SticksToYou
(Space Cadet)
04/06/16 11:08 PM

Any way I could get a copy of VSWaveExport? Thanks so much in advance!

Ptr
(Planeteer)
06/30/16 06:59 AM

Hello,

I put my VSR-880 back in action again so would much appreciate a fresh clean copy of VSWaveExport. Thanks in advance!

Best regards

RDO
(Space Cadet)
07/25/16 02:21 AM

Can someone please send me a link for the vs wave exporter?
I am unable to locate anywhere. All the links I have tried seem to be dead ends.

If someone can send it to me I will try to put it somewhere on the Internet so other people don't have to look so darn hard to find it and download it safely! I have about 20 compositions to download to a PC from an old VS880 and have the tracks mastered afterwards. THANKS FOR A LINK OR PM on where to find the vs wave exporter.

Ptr
(Planeteer)
08/16/16 08:44 AM

Send me a PM with an email address, can send v1.25 then. I received that with an OK to further distribute it to people. I assume that'd be fine to have it available online as well, but that's not for me to decide.

Bye

ODK1
(Space Cadet)
09/12/16 01:55 PM

Hello,
I'm new in the VSR world, in 2016 (!), and can't find the VSWave Export...
Can you send me a copy?
Thx
O.

saturnalley
(Space Cadet)
09/19/16 09:52 PM

Hi--do you have the Reaper Vs wave converter? My roland VS converter stopped working despite a total re-installation. Thanks, Dave

Ptr
(Planeteer)
09/20/16 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Ptr
Send me a PM with an email address, can send v1.25 then. I received that with an OK to further distribute it to people.

paterkarma
(Space Cadet)
10/11/16 10:25 AM

Hi dear vsplanet-community!
As many other guys before I am desperately looking for that VSWaveExport-wonderweapon. Me and my dustcovered VS1680 would greatly appreciate it! Thanx a lot in advance...

Ptr
(Planeteer)
10/11/16 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Ptr
Send me a PM with an email address, can send v1.25 then. I received that with an OK to further distribute it to people.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
10/11/16 10:58 AM

Since you mention it in your title, understand that VirDis is not a free software tool, like VSWE (VS Wave Export) is. VirDis is a hardware/software combo tool for PC - it's highly useful for the 2480 and other VS machines that have the ability to import and export wav files - not quite so much, but very useful nonetheless, for those that do not have wav import/export functions (such as the 1680).

If you can get your hands on a cheap/older PC that has PCI and/or PCIe card slots, running Win7 or XP (not sure about other OS) and a couple gigs of RAM, VirDis works fantastically as a means to do VS backups (as Song Copy Playable - as you would from partition to partition, or hd to hd). It also comes with a copy of VSWE, which can be used to export wav files from the track files of the .hdd containers that VirDis uses to store the VS data. The last PC I picked up that easily met the requirements of VirDis cost me a whopping $57.00 (U.S.)... Add your favorite PC-based cheap/free DAW or audio editor and you're set. The options are pretty huge with a setup like that.

As for VSWE as a standalone download - that's pretty tough to come by these days. "Bear" used to be the guy to go to for it and his CD2Roland CD backup ripper tool (as well as the Reaper [daw] VS plug-in) and if he's still available through his PM, he'd be the guy to ask for this stuff. I don't know that he's active on the forum anymore though.....

My own attempts to help people by making a copy of these tools available have run into the same trouble all the sites around and other individuals have found - that for some reason antivirus programs (and cloud sites too for that matter) tag one of the VSWE files as a Trojan, so downloads and cloud storage become unsuccessful (at least that's what's happened to me). So I know of no way to provide you with the files you need at this time. My own copies of these files do not trigger any of my antivirus programs - only when I try to provide them to someone else. I don't understand these things..... Bear apparently does know how to get around this problem, so again - see if you can get him to help you out - or consider getting VirDis. It can be purchased here lately: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-VS-2480-1...4TZM5yegIgxiEYQ

I believe this ebay listing is operated by the developer as well, or connected to him. You might try contacting him via this listing to ask him any questions about VirDis you may have. Be sure to tell him you are using the 1680 (no import/export) and not a 2480.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
10/11/16 11:00 AM

Oh hey! I see the Ptr has a way to provide the VSWE tool..... good news! I'd forgotten that he's gotten the last version 1.25 - Be sure to get ahold of Ptr. (Wish I knew what the trick was to making it available).

Ptr
(Planeteer)
10/11/16 11:10 AM

Oh hey! I see the Ptr has a way to provide the VSWE tool..... good news! I'd forgotten that he's gotten the last version 1.25 - Be sure to get ahold of Ptr. (Wish I knew what the trick was to making it available).

Yes, I kindly received it from a fellow forum-member mutetourettes here, who also expanded its usage to the VSR-880, Very Nice.

So I also happily forward it myself as well (as you know also to you, my pleasure), so for those looking for it, just drop me a PM with your email address. Please allow me a few days to respond, in case I didn't catch the alrt right away.

Might be that after a while I'd kindly ask that other people help distributing it further as well, but then there'll indeed be several more people having it - I'm confident they'll happily assist as well. Might be a decent alternative (by email) iso that potentially troublesome download-method.

Bye

paterkarma
(Space Cadet)
10/15/16 02:03 AM

Hi everybody,

after some problems with my windows 10 i managed finally to run the VSWE-Tool. The problem was a missing MSCOMCTL.ocx file.
Here is how to fix that problem:

http://ridilabs.net/post/2016/05/15/Missing-MSCOMCTLocx-on-Windows-10.aspx

After doing these steps it finally worked. As said before you have to run it at an administrator (right mouse button opens selection). After opening the VSWE my VS1680 Harddisc appeared, and I could select the Projects. I had two of them, one single song, which indeed was easy to export. The Problem was the second Project, which is a long recording session (about 1:40h). When I tried to export the files, the following error was displayed:

Runtime-error '9'
Subscript out of range

Has anyone an idea how to fix this problem?

Thanx!

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
10/15/16 10:22 AM

I don't understand error codes and specifically how to diagnose or fix them... but from what I could gather from a google search, it appears that there could be some file corruption....

I was going to suggest a way that you could trim down the long length of the song in question - and that still might be helpful - but after reading some of the search results (all having to do with Visual Basics and Excel spreadsheets), I don't know that the problem is the length of the tracks.

Still, it might not hurt to chop those long tracks into shorter sections... and it may accomplish the problem with possible corruption at the same time.

I used to deal with pretty long tracks on the 1680 a lot from recording live events - not usually a single recording that was so long as yours is though. hour long tracks were not out of the question for me.

Maybe your project isn't 1.40-long tracks, but maybe takes up an 1.40 in total length - you don't say. You also don't say how large your card is. You may need to delete some stuff to make room, depending on how much free space you have.

I would suggest that you load the project back up in the 1680 and then do one or more of the following to make it more manageable and fix corrupted data at the same time.

1- Use Song Copy Playable to create a second copy of the entire project. In fact, make two copies if you have the space... see #4 below for more details. You probably would have to do this to a different partition, given the 2GB partition size limit of the 1680, but I would make it to a different partition even if that wasn't the case.

2- The copy could also end up pointing to the same corrupted data (or maybe the pointer links themselves are the corruption, if there is any). To try and resolve this issue of data corruption, I would run Drive Check. Drive Check will search for any issues with the data and want to fix them - The scary part of this process is that "fixing" corrupted data to the VS is to delete the corrupted data, so there's a risk that the data deleted may contain important track information - but Roland explains that since the data is corrupted it doesn't matter, because you'd lose it anyway - I don't agree, if it's able to play through the data, because that gives a person the chance to re-record it through bouncing, or to an outboard recorder.... but that's the way the VS handles things.

In my own experience, Drive Check has mostly fixed problems that didn't involve the track data itself, but there have been a few times when I lost a portion of music I actually wanted (sometimes the corrupted track data can be something you've recorded over, but not eliminated from the project).

3- That brings up another possible solution - Song Optimize. If you're pretty sure that you don't need any data that you may have recorded over during the course of the project, assuming that the project was recorded in steps and not all in one giant time period, then for sure do a Song Optimize - in fact do that before you make a Song Copy Playable, if you want. I often leave old track data in my backups because I have found a reason or two to go back through the Undo Levels to pull up that stuff and re-copy it to a spare v-track to add to the last version of the song. But Song Optimize is one sure way to remove any unnecessary data connected to the Song File.

4- Assuming you have made a recording that is indeed 1.40 in length as the result of one long unending session, then use the Song Copy Playable method I mentioned at the top of this to create a total of two shorter sessions. Go to the Copied project file and use Track Cut across all of the tracks at once and cut out everything from Zero to roughly midway through the timeline - using an exact amount can be very helpful here - say, in a 2-hour recording, choosing exactly 1-hour in will assure that your other copy will exactly match after trimming it out too. That would be "01h00m,00s,00f,00 001-1".

The Cut operation will move everything from that time to the end of the project all the way back to Zero, shortening the length of the project by half. Be sure to cut across ALL tracks together, including v-tracks, if there's any chance there could be data on them. Also use your Shift/>> (FF/Song End) button combo to zip to the end of the file to be sure it ends at the end of the recorded tracks and not at some marker out beyond the end, unless the marker is necessary for a fade or something you've planned. If it goes well beyond the end of what you need, then use Track Cut again to delete that unneeded space and delete any Tap Markers that might be past the end of the tracks too.

5- Now go to the second copy, or the original copy, and use Track Cut on this file to chop everything from that previously chosen time to the end of the song.

In both files, be sure to use Song Optimize after you've double checked your edits so that you haven't lost anything you need. Optimize will delete any pointers to unneeded data in those copies and reduce the size of the projects accordingly.

If you actually made two copies of the original, you can leave the original on the card for safe keeping, until you've successfully exported .wav files from the two copies onto the PC. You can re-stitch the full length of the original recording on the PC, once you exported the tracks to .wav files and the edit should be seamless. If for some reason there might be an audible glitch (I don't see why there would be), you can trim that out by zooming into the sample level in the daw you're using and making a precision edit or simply adding a tiny crossfade at the seam.

sorry this is so long. I'm trying to cover anything I can think of.

Maybe somebody else has a shorter, more direct option.

paterkarma
(Space Cadet)
10/18/16 03:55 AM

Thank you for your help!
I tried some of these options, and I think you were right, there was a disk error. I ran Drive Check, it fixed the error. Unfortunately without succes, the runtime error was still there. Song optimize didnīt help either. I cut off the end of the recording session (where I supposed the drive error to be). No chance. Another problem was that there was not enough disc space available, since itīs an 2GB Harddisc. Finally I made the ultimate mistake: I allowed Windows 10, which always complained there was a drive error, to fix that problem. Well, in a way it really solved my problem: The data was unreadable then.

NEVER ALLOW WINDOWS 10 TO REPAIR THE ROLAND FORMATTED DISK!

After that I had to give up all the data. Never mind. I hope in future there will be none such problem anymore.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
10/18/16 08:25 AM

It's a pity you couldn't have tried the main suggestion of cutting the tracks in two (or more) because of your hard drive size. Are you certain that it's only a 2GB hd? I realize that many VS recorders were sold with just such a drive, but it would be a shame to have been limited by such a thing after so many years.

You might want to double check the actual size of your hd, in case you were mistaken - people have also not realized they had more than the one 2GB partition before. The VS-1680 can handle up to 16+GB (2GB x 8 partitions)..... many people would have upgraded their 1680s to hold a 20GB........ but I suppose maybe yours is not one of those (since you mentioned your trusty dustcovered 1680 in your first post and I assume that meant you'd had it for a long time yourself.

In the future, I strongly suggest that you do at least two things:

1- buy at least one more hd of at least 4GB in size (20GB is probably the most available size these days) to keep as a spare - forget about trying to acquire the caddy to hold the drive and just plan on swapping the existing caddy, unless you have been extremely lucky and happen to have more than one on hand.

2- start using an external destination to perform backups, so that you stand a much greater chance of retaining at least one copy of your recordings. The 1680 uses its SCSI port for external devices. For Song Copy Playables (the most useful outside of the CD backups, in my opinion), those options would include

1- an external scsi hard drive enclosure with an IDE/SCSI/SATA hard drive installed (up to 20GB) and the appropriate bridge adapter - getting harder and harder to find at reasonable cost today.

2- An SD/SDHC/CF card solution, with the same availability issues that the hard drive solution has today.

3- VirDis hardware/software kit for PC (PCI and PCIe config. only at this time). This is a great solution for many reasons, but is limited in function with the 1680 - still great for Song Copies and using VSWE to export .wav files. In today's scsi market and its narrow range of useful gear where the VS recorder is concerned, this is certainly a very viable option, cost-wise.

Not preachin', but just sayin' out of concern for your future works.

Lightning64
(Space Cadet)
11/25/16 12:55 AM

Hey all
Been using vs880ex with an sd card for the hard drive. The vs wave converter has been working perfectly. Now I have upgraded to a vs1880. Still using the sd card, and yes new sd card formatted by the 1880. Now the wave converter errors out. an output window pops up and says: Entity...
Interesting I had been getting this error all day long. In one of the posts on here it said there was some kind of error about the song name being to long. I shortened the name to just "Song". Low and behold when I went to check what the error said specifically. It now worked as it should have.
Just throwing it out there. Maybe some one wont have to dig so deep for the answer. Awesome converter! Thanks so much for making it. Is there a 1.25 available?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
11/25/16 08:52 AM

Hey, great news Lightning64!
Do you happen to remember what the error message said that began - Entity...?

You might send a PM to Ptr - http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=sendprivate&User=12309

If he still doesn't mind, he may send you a copy of the VSWE 1.25. He's the only one I know that currently has a clean copy and a way to send it.

Lightning64
(Space Cadet)
11/25/16 07:20 PM

I have tried a few times to recreate the error so I could say exactly what it said. No luck. I can say it was something out of range so it ignored the track. Wish I could have done more.
Thanks

Ptr
(Planeteer)
11/26/16 08:28 AM

You might send a PM to Ptr - http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=sendprivate&User=12309

If he still doesn't mind, he may send you a copy of the VSWE 1.25. He's the only one I know that currently has a clean copy and a way to send it.

I'm fine with that, no problem - just be sure to add an email address to send it to right away, speeds up things.

In addition, for convenience we can try to split the load a bit (and increase response spead; I'm not following this on a daily basis.) So to the people to which I sent it to previously, feel free to forward it as well (I did receive it myself as well, I didn't make that latest version myself) - then we all benefit

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
11/26/16 08:35 AM

I've tried to do that before with the bundle that Bear sent me - even though it was totally 'clean' as far as I could tell (no response at all from multiple anti-virus on my PCs), the bundle would never appear clean to the recipient when I would send it.

I gave up trying to figure out why, or how to work around it.

Ptr
(Planeteer)
11/26/16 08:38 AM

I've tried to do that before with the bundle that Bear sent me - even though it was totally 'clean' as far as I could tell (no response at all from multiple anti-virus on my PCs), the bundle would never appear clean to the recipient when I would send it.

I gave up trying to figure out why, or how to work around it.

I see, something weird going on there. All I do is to forward an email, happy that my machine/email-account doesn't ruin it.

Bye

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
11/26/16 09:19 AM

Good it works for you... maybe I will try the email forward idea. Downloading from a cloud like Bear did hasn't panned out for me.

neutron101
(Space Cadet)
12/29/16 06:29 PM

I'm looking for a copy of CD2Roland.exe that doesn't trigger my antivirus. Can anyone help?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
12/29/16 08:25 PM

Which version do you have? If it's Cd2Rol022 and if you got it originally from bear, then it's clean for almost certain. Isn't it possible to tell your antivirus to make an exception for that particular file?..... I've never done it - I just always thought I remembered other people doing it. Cd2Rol022 has just always worked on my machines and my antivirus has never bugged me about it.

Personally, I think you be better served to just use VSWE and the Cd2Roland that's built into it...... avoids the need for manually setting up the batch file and the whole dos command thing.

VSWE version 1.25 is floating around here someplace..... wish it and CD2Roland and the Reaper .dll were also being hosted along with Frank's Brown Bag manual for the 2480, etc......... maybe whoever is doing that now would consider adding clean versions of these files for download like the good library used to do. Every effort I've made to help in this respect has ended up hurting me - like losing my dropbox privileges.

Don't know what to say about that, because, as I mentioned, my antivirus has never given me any problems over my use of these tools.

neutron101
(Space Cadet)
12/30/16 06:31 AM

Thanks for the reply uptildawn. I was using VSWE (1.24a), but the antivirus (Avast) was flagging up the CD2Roland part as having malware. I last used this version of VSWE about 12 months ago and didn't have a problem then. There is a method of reporting a false alarm in Avast but it needs some detailed information about the program and it's creator. Anyway I took the plunge this morning and temporarily turned off Avast and everything went fine - tracks now ripped and running in Reaper.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
12/30/16 08:56 AM

Glad you figured out how to work around the issue and get your work done.

I'm also still using 1.24a VSWE, as I have for many years, and the antivirus leaves it alone. But I haven't been able to unzip my copy of 1.25. MS Essentials (on this pc) removes the files from the folder as soon as I try to extract from the zipped one.

muzikalgeeneeyus
(Space Cadet)
02/02/17 02:00 PM

Hello, has anyone got a copy of the VS WAVE Export they can kindly send to me. I keep getting a message about it containing malware when I try to download it.

It would be most appreciated, thanks in advance.

Cheers, Planeteers

adriaanhendrik
(Space Cadet)
02/21/18 02:05 PM

Hi there,
I'm in with the fun, since a friend of mine managed to lose his songs during backup to CD action on his VS1680.. I would also like a copy of VSWaveExport to check wether his wav's can be saved to PC. Tomorrow he brings his machine to me so please send me a link.
Best Regards to all,

Ptr
(Planeteer)
02/21/18 03:41 PM

Hi,

There's no download-location, we've been distributing it as an email-attachment. Just send a PM with a valid email address.

Bye

adriaanhendrik
(Space Cadet)
02/23/18 01:52 PM

To all,

Thanks to Ptr for sending me the file. Of coarse my Win7 box complained about MSCOMCTL.ocx not beïng installed. That file is for a Win10 64bit system so I searched online for the 32bit version ---> MSCOMCTL32.ocx

I got VSWaveExport working now but only after copying MSCOMCTL32.ocx in my system32 Folder. I had to open the command line editor as Administrator. Then added the MSCOMCTL32.ocx in the register like this:

type in command line: regsvr32 MSCOMCTL32.ocx

After that I could finally run VSWaveExport.
As soon as i have time i'll try to save the wav's from my friend's VS1680 HD --> PC

I 'll keep you posted

Best Regards to all

riddick789
(Space Cadet)
04/18/18 01:23 PM

hello bear... I am looking for vs to pc program... i want to import my roland vs 2400 back to my daw.. could you please help me? thank you so much!

FlametopFred
(Planeteer)
05/17/18 02:14 PM

Not having any luck at all ... am I missing something?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/17/18 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: FlametopFred
Not having any luck at all ... am I missing something?

Some people swear by a rabbit's foot - other by four leaf clover... maybe you're not using the right talisman?

FlametopFred
(Planeteer)
05/20/18 11:08 AM

ah-ha-ha-ha ... \:\)

seriously though - - I have followed the steps and downloaded all the related files. Can't seem to get things going.

On Windows 7

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/20/18 12:57 PM

Still not sure what you're having trouble with. Which files specifically are you trying to work with?

If you are having trouble getting VSWE to work, have you gotten any error messages? Have you tried following this part of the thread?:
 Originally Posted By: adriaanhendrik
To all,

Thanks to Ptr for sending me the file. Of coarse my Win7 box complained about MSCOMCTL.ocx not beïng installed. That file is for a Win10 64bit system so I searched online for the 32bit version ---> MSCOMCTL32.ocx

I got VSWaveExport working now but only after copying MSCOMCTL32.ocx in my system32 Folder. I had to open the command line editor as Administrator. Then added the MSCOMCTL32.ocx in the register like this:

type in command line: regsvr32 MSCOMCTL32.ocx

After that I could finally run VSWaveExport.
As soon as i have time i'll try to save the wav's from my friend's VS1680 HD --> PC

I 'll keep you posted

Best Regards to all

Are you trying to extract VS data from a backup CD-R using bear's CD2Roland tool?

Are you trying to open a VS backup in Reaper?

You really need to be more specific, or nobody can help you out, Flametop

ANAYV
(Planeteer)
05/20/18 05:49 PM
How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ??

Are you trying to extract VS data from a backup CD-R using bear's CD2Roland tool?

I am \:\)
How do I do this?

Where to obtain CD2Roland tool?
How to use it?

Thanks!!

ANAYV

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/20/18 07:13 PM
Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ??

If you're using VSWE, then the CD2Roland tool is in the Extras menu - Rip from CD (Ctrl+R).

Place the CD backup in the pc's burner tray - make sure that windows doesn't try to do anything with it - close any window that might open and wait for it to stop spinning in the drive.

With VSWE already open, press Ctrl/R, or choose it from the Extras menu.

Make sure your basic file path is right - You can try copying my example here - cd2roland E "D:\Files Audio\Rip0000" - and leaving all the spacing the way it is, only change the drive letters to match your own setup "E" is my burner, "D" is my hd partition label, folder paths are my own choice, but you can use them if you like. The spaces and spacing between text is important - that's why I suggest copying and pasting mine and then modifying the drive letters to suite.

Leave overwrite files each time checked, unless you are ripping a multidisc backup.

Click the Start button - a command window will open showing the progress - if it stops without completing, you won't see a long list of files being written and it either means the backup cd has a problem, it isn't finalized, it isn't a backup cd, or it's in a record mode that the ripper won't rip.

The ripper will rip each song of a multi-song disc into a series of folders with the name SONG1, SONG2, SONG3, etc., according to how the VS has them numbered. It ignores actual song titles, although the title shows up in a txt file inside the folder. In fact, if you hover your mouse over a folder for a second, you will see a short list starting with Eventlist.VR6 (VR6 is a 1680 file - yours may be different), and followed by the Song Title.txt.... and then some others.

Right after I rip a CD, I go to the rip folder and give each SONGx folder its proper name - whatever name I see after Eventlist.VR6. This is important, because you don't want the next CD you rip to overwrite files in folders with the same generic SONG1, SONG2, etc., names.

Once you have a disc ripped, the songs are all displayed in VSWE's main window... with their proper titles listed and record mode. You could also name your rip folders from that list of titles.

Once you have the SONG folders renamed, you can use VSWE to extract wav files and have them drop right into the rip folders that go with their SONG title by simply browsing to the Export To folder you want - in my case, the basic folder I always rip to is: D:\Files Audio\Rip0000\ - I type in the song title I gave the rip folder after that last backslash - in my case I might have ripped a song called DroneGroove, so I would make the export destination folder path as follows:
D:\Files Audio\Rip0000\DroneGroove.

A nice helpful feature also allows you to simply give a title for the last folder that doesn't exist and VSWE will offer to create it for you.

Sometimes VSWE will give you error messages while exporting, or when you highlight a song in the main window list. Basically, all you can do is make a mental note of it, or forget it and proceed. You can check each wav file after the export is completed to see if you detect any problems. Once in a while I would get wav files with zero bytes for size - and there would be nothing to play. I discovered that if/when that happens, I can go back and cherry pick just those tracks and export them again and usually the problem is solved. I also delete the zero byte files before exporting those tracks again, just to safeguard a potential issue in overwriting.

Anyway, this is really long, but I just feel like the process should be made clear to avoid frustration if things go weird.

ANAYV
(Planeteer)
05/21/18 08:24 AM

Thanks for the detailed info Dan!

Don't have vswe. Is that needed too ?
Sorry if dumb question

ANAYV

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/21/18 09:37 AM

Let me look up my notes later today. I will post back when I have some solid info.

FlametopFred
(Planeteer)
05/22/18 10:38 AM

Yes please, and thank you, uptildawn ...

maybe a new set of instructions are needed? Like, do I still need Reaper?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/22/18 05:47 PM

By far, the simple method in my opinion would be to use VSWE to access the CD2Roland CD ripper tool, because all the DOS command stuff is taken care of automatically.

Otherwise, it's possible to create the instructions in the form of a text file (a .bat file) that tells the computer how to search the backup CD and extract the VS data. But it stays in a form that is not useable by Windows. You still either need VSWE to extract .wav files from the VS TAKE files, or you need Reaper and the special .dll file that allows it to open the ripped VS Song file and display the TAKE files as tracks, similar to how the VS does. From there, you either continue to work in Reaper, or you have to render .wav (or mp3) files from each track.

I haven't found my instruction on creating the .bat file yet, but I will when I'm not so tired.

FlametopFred
(Planeteer)
05/22/18 10:06 PM

ok let me try the VSWE method... I think I may have crossed the streams on the two methods ...

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/22/18 10:38 PM

Guess what I found!

Create a BAT ripper file for VS rips

CREATING A .BAT FILE:

1. Open Windows Notepad.

2. Type cd2roland followed by your pc's cd drive letter: For example, if the drive letter is E, type:

cd2roland e

3. Click File > Save As... then type rip.bat and press ENTER. (You just created a .bat file. Now the following is what to do with it.)

4. Place your newly created .bat file in the "test" folder you made earlier.

5. Copy the cd2roland file into the "test" folder along with the bat file. Close the folder.

6. Right click on your desktop and select New > Shortcut. Click "Browse" and navigate your way to the "test" folder and select the "rip.bat" file and press ENTER. Rename the desktop shortcut whatever you like such as, "VS Tracks Ripper."

You're done! You have now created a .bat file and a shortcut to it on your desktop. Put a Roland backup cd in your cd drive and double click on the "VS Tracks Ripper" icon on your desktop and watch the magic begin.

***VERY IMPORTANT*** Be sure to move all files from the test folder (except for the .bat and cd2roland) to a new folder BEFORE starting a new ripping process. Otherwise all your song files will get mixed together and will cause you major problems.

This is the instructions I got about 5 years ago and used for about 6 months, before getting VSWE with the ripper included in it. So, if a person wants to, they can use this .bat file method to simply rip the VS backup CD-Rs onto their PC (no mac).

From there, the idea was probably to use the special plug-in designed to install into Reaper's FX folder, so that the VS Songs could be opened in Reaper and worked on and/or to render .wav or .mp3 files through Reaper.

So there's a possible method a person can use to bypass the missing file message you can get with VSWE....... still need that special .dll file for Reaper, though. I do believe that if the goodlibrary.com link is available, that it should be a clean download and I'm almost certain that .dll file is on that website still.

Another note that should be headed, or at least saved for some future reference is the info I also found tonight about ripping multi-disc backups from the VS. These have been problematic when trying to reload into the VS...... especially for me, but I think it's widely an issue. The ripper can do the multi-discs, but special precautions and procedures need to be followed. Read on:

Multi-Disc Backup Rip:
For multiple disc backups I really suggest running the ripper standalone as opposed to invoking it from VSWE.

Make a directory. Put the cd2roland.exe in it. Make a batch file to invoke it.

Then run the multiple backup set IN ORDER and all from inside this directory. The files will all rip into a SONG folder.

After all discs ripped, you can then open them in VSWE by dragging the SONG.VR1 file into the dialog box.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/22/18 10:43 PM

And if you really want to understand this thing at a deeper level, so as to maybe grasp the complexities involved with these attempts to make the VS compatible with a PC, read this I got in a reply from bear some years back:

The format of the data on the CD-r is a very strange jumble of binary data that has nothing to do with data files or structures or FAT tables or anything - they are just a stream of data bytes. Lucky there are enough ASCII strings buried in it that I was able to figure out where to strip stuff out to make the eventlist and song and take files. Different data blocks inside the data have header fields that link different data blocks that have event info or take info together in a song.

I have never even tried to figure out how you make a iso image of the data needed to import back into the VS. It would be really tough. The cd2roland program makes an image of this data from the cd-r to the harddrive similar to an .iso file - just all the raw bytes in order - then runs an algorithm that searches for certain ASCII text strings in the data that indicate what is in the chunk beiung examined. It then bundles these data chunks into files that a file system on the PC can see. Then the reaper dll or the VSWE program takes the binary data in these files and un-RDACS them and packs them into files with the proper header to make wavs.

A song copied playable to a hard drive has a file structure (using a slightly modified FAT-16 file system) with the eventlist, song and take files, along with several other files that describe the machine routine, efx setup etc. The data from these other files are all on the cd-r also but are not needed for conversion to wav or import into reaper so I don't bother to strip them out. Since these are all in file structures the VS can read them back in.

The .bin files in virdis are images of a FAT-16 file structure, just as if you were doing a song copy to a external drive and so can be accessed both directions, just as if you were looking at a local scsi harddrive hooked to the VS.

The format of the data in the .bin files from VIRDIS are NOT the same as the data on a cd-r.

That's all for now.
It might be a good idea if this information specific to VSWE, the CD2Roland Ripper and probably the Reaper .dll was put in a new sticky with as much current info about the basics of using these tools as possible. I realize it's scattered all around the 880, 1680 and 2480 forums, but it seems that there is no one place where a solid set of install and usage instructions is located - especially with the Funkybeat's thread being more than 16 pages long and most links being no good anymore.

So if somebody reads this that can post sticky threads and cares to follow up, I think it would be worth the effort.

ANAYV
(Planeteer)
05/24/18 05:21 AM

Thanks so much for all this info, Dan!!!
Can't wait to try this out ( this Saturday).

I must say thus.....I was soooo glad when I decided to upgrade my VS1880 to 1824CD...that YOU were still here...and...as usual...still helping so many, like me.

I pray it comes back to you , in good health, peace, joy and making music!

ANAYV

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/24/18 10:19 AM

I appreciate the sentiment and the props!
Hope it all pans out without a hitch on Saturday.

VeePo
(Space Cadet)
05/25/18 06:08 PM

Hey Ptr, just PM'd you with a request for the VSWE file. Thanks!

I've been looking at a pile of VS-880 Zips for years now and just couldn't bring myself to toss them. Now I know why - maybe I'll be able to get the sessions off them!

VeePo

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/25/18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: VeePo
Hey Ptr, just PM'd you with a request for the VSWE file. Thanks!

I've been looking at a pile of VS-880 Zips for years now and just couldn't bring myself to toss them. Now I know why - maybe I'll be able to get the sessions off them!

VeePo

Be really careful with those vs880 zips. Don't know if you're aware of the problems many zip machines develop without warning that can cause your disks to go bad in a flash........ it's referred to as the click of death and there are lots of youtube videos demonstrating the affect it has. I also know from personal past experience, when I happened to buy a second-hand zip drive that had the click (before I knew of the issue). The first disk I put in it became unusable right after I let the machine start it up.

Not trying to scare you, but do guard your 880 disks against this. If using a zip drive of unknown operational state, try a disk that's not needed first. If you hear the click, forget about using that drive.

Fortunately for myself, I still have one scsi zip drive and a scsi pci card for an old desktop pc that I have been able to make use of once in a while - at least it still worked the last time I used it. I will need to remember my own caution next time I find the urge...

VeePo
(Space Cadet)
05/26/18 02:12 PM

Thanks uptildawn! (Boy, been THERE many times! - up til dawn, that is.)

Was aware of the click of death issue but tested the Zip Drive yesterday on a bunch of disks and it worked perfectly.

But I appreciate the reminder to handle the 880 disks with care! Quite excited that I might actually get the sessions off them.

So if you or someone else has the same VSWE file Ptr has, please let me know and I'll PM you my email address. (I see Ptr has been asked for the file many times so might be nice to give him a break.)

Thanks again!

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/26/18 02:46 PM

Every time I've tried to send my own (known to be clean) VSWE, it's been tagged and confiscated by the receiver's own computer for some reason I can not explain, nor have I ever found a solution for.

I can download the VSWE from the good library all day long and unzip/install on my own pc without a hitch.

But, just the other day, Bill Casey sent me a test version of his VirDIS program and that Win7 machine I have VirDIS installed on wouldn't let me unzip the program, claiming there was something harmful in it......... wouldn't even let me decide for myself. Instead, Bill uploaded it himself from our meeting session uploader and it installed without a question....... go figure. Bill didn't have an answer for it either.

I would recommend that you go ahead and pester Ptr with a request. It certainly can't hurt.

VeePo
(Space Cadet)
05/28/18 12:32 PM

re: '... send my own (known to be clean) VSWE it's been tagged and confiscated by the receiver's own computer ...'
Ever tried by WeTransfer? Might work.

re: 'I can download the VSWE from the good library all day long'
Strange indeed. That's the first thing I tried (repeatedly) and I could never get the download link to open properly.

I heard from Ptr! But he had trouble sending it. He's gonna try again later today. (I'll PM you my email address just in case you wanna try yours by WeTransfer.)

Thanks again!
Veepo

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/28/18 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: VeePo
... That's the first thing I tried (repeatedly) and I could never get the download link to open properly.

I heard from Ptr! But he had trouble sending it. He's gonna try again later today. (I'll PM you my email address just in case you wanna try yours by WeTransfer.)

Thanks again!
Veepo

I don't have faith in sending through a cloud - last time I did that, my account was suspended.

VeePo
(Space Cadet)
05/28/18 05:54 PM

Got it from Ptr and gonna try to access the Vs-880 zips tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again!

FlametopFred
(Planeteer)
06/06/18 11:55 PM

can I get in on the PTR action? PM

VeePo
(Space Cadet)
06/08/18 03:20 PM

Just to let y'all know it worked! Ptr sent me the VSWE file and I got all the wav files off the VS-880 Zip disks.

BUT be warned- it was a convoluted journey involving Windows XP (!,)a serial port, a new 25-pin cable, and a few different versions of archaic IomegaTools software.

But best of luck to YOU! And thanks again Ptr and Uptil

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/08/18 04:14 PM

Hey! at least you met the challenge and overcame!! \:\)

peterb2
(Space Cadet)
09/23/19 08:48 AM

Bear,
Hello. I am new here and its 2019. My 1680 arrived from eBay and I have begun the modernization of the unit. With the CF card reader on the IDE I am poised to enter the VS world but just like all here, no software to get the VS tracks. Could you send me the software link? It would be much appreciated. Thanks

BluRdrCarl
(Planeteer)
10/27/19 01:44 PM

Looking fpor download link as well? Help!