frumsapap
(Space Cadet)
01/16/09 05:59 PM
Mastering...

I burned a cd to listen to my song in the car, get a good feel for it, and I had to turn the volume way up to 10 to hear it. What is the deal? Does anyone know how to solve this during Mixing/Mastering? Something I have over looked?

72fender
(Planeteer)
01/16/09 10:25 PM
Re: Mastering...

Originally Posted By: frumsapap
I burned a cd to listen to my song in the car, get a good feel for it, and I had to turn the volume way up to 10 to hear it. What is the deal? Does anyone know how to solve this during Mixing/Mastering? Something I have over looked?

Either your Bounce or MTK (Mastering Tool Kit) record levels were too low.

I know in the manual that it states you should record with levels between -4db & -12db, but you always have record levels closer to 0db as possible.

If you go over 0db, than you have clipping, which will give you distortion.

frumsapap
(Space Cadet)
01/19/09 09:35 PM

Okay, so when I go to bounce all of the tracks onto 11/12 track, then I put my levels as close to 0db as possible, Correct? Thanks. If you have any other advice on the mastering part, let me know.

gonzo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/21/09 06:11 PM

mastering, in it's true form, is a very complicated process.

not in that it's hard to program eq, and compression, and limiting, and stereo enhancement, and low/high pass filters, and peak limiting...

it's complicated in that it takes years and years to get good at it.

then, you always have to question your monitors, unless you have really nice ones, and a treated room to go with it.

i'd suggest googling 'Mastering', and spend quite a lot of time educating yourself as to what it is...

then, you'll have the right questions to ask, specific to your task.

gonzo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/21/09 06:12 PM

in other words, just running levels up to 0 db, is NOT mastering.

frumsapap
(Space Cadet)
02/03/09 04:33 PM

Okay, Mr. Peabody, what is mastering? Let me in on the secret Zen of Masterious of all masters. I can look it up, sure, but I want to hear what your version is. Considering that is about the most vague anyone has ever been explaining something to me. Come now, and tell me the skills yo. You know I am not going to school for this stuff. I have a BR1200, and maybe evetually I'll get something better. But I need an answer to my question, please Sir Knight of the Masters Table.

sloopdawg
(Space Cadet)
02/12/09 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: frumsapap

Don't know if this is any help or not but I had the same problem and after a considerable amount of time spent trying to find out why, I found that I had my headphone level turned up to loud and in turn I was cutting back on the volume of my faders. Really made me feel stupid but it fixed my problem. Sometimes its just that simple. Hope your problem is as simple to fix as mine was.

frumsapap
(Space Cadet)
03/13/09 06:15 PM

Hey, thanks man. I am just getting ready to try and make a whole cd of my music. We'll see how it goes. I will try and do what you are saying. Thanks again.