Rob1
(Planeteer)
01/29/19 05:56 PM
1176 plug in

OK, so some may call me out for this I'm sure. I have been using the 1176 plug in in the master room for countless mix downs. I have it patched in line as a stereo compressor. It is only recently that I considered the actual 1176 is a mono unit yet the end result seems fine to me. It seems to be working as a stereo unit. I still have a stereo field and all seems well. Am I doing something wrong?? Why would the image appear to be stereo if the 1176 is acting as a mono unit? It is doing it's job and I still have stereo happening. What, if anything is wrong with this picture? Thanks, Rob

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
01/29/19 07:23 PM
Re: 1176 plug in

Would inserting it in Stereo cause the output volume to be higher, I wonder? Just thinking out loud......

You might try patching it as a mono insert - the benefit should be that you end up with a second instance available - 2 x mono (L/R) - at least that would be the case with the 1680's design, IIRC. I used to use the Dual Compressor plug from the 2-card a lot this way and that's where my thinking is coming from.

Rob1
(Planeteer)
01/29/19 08:11 PM

The thing is, when I insert it in the master room is patches itself in as a stereo effect and upon clicking on the image of the in line effect it doesn't change in the fashion that other effects would if they were inserted on individual channels. It remains looking as though it is stereo and indeed sounds that way. If I even could put it in mono, well, there goes my master stereo mix. I do want a stereo mix. From what I can tell it is behaving like a stereo compressor. That's what puzzles me. I know the 1176 is a mono unit in the real physical world. Am I getting a two for one in this crazy digital world? Is it covering left and right? And in a good way, or am I being manipulated and fooled by graphics into believing this is kosher. Is it behaving as a stereo 1176? Is it just compressing one side of the mix and I haven't noticed?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
01/29/19 09:44 PM

I didn't realize you were using it on the master bus - sorry.

You've asked some good questions.
Maybe you could design a simple test session to see how it behaves on the master bus with only a single mono track - panned hard left or right, then center and then a single stereo track (or two mono tracks panned hard L/R) where the differences between left and right are obvious - a stereo track might use a Ping-Pong delay for instance.
There's probably other ways you could test this, too....... I'm not sure.

Rob1
(Planeteer)
01/29/19 11:36 PM

That's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? Yes. I will do that. Thanks uptildawn. Do you ever get some rest?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
01/29/19 11:41 PM

only after dawn... and in between telemarketer's calls.