09/23/07 11:29 AM
VS WaveExport Instructions

http://www.thegoodlibrary.com/VSWaveExport.html

A Just download the WAVEEXPORT APP and UNZIP it to your desktop
B Clik on the unzipped file folder on the desktop
C Clik VS Wave Export to open the app when needed below

1. Put the VS2480 BACKUP disc into your computer drive
2. Open the VSWaveExport app
3. Go to the top left and select EXTRAS pull down menu, youll see RIP from CD-R, click that and then hit start.
4.It will stop, hit ANY key to continue
5.Youll now see a project name listed in the VS WaveExport app
5. Click on the project and youll see the tracks on the right under Selected tracks turn green.
6.You can now click on ANY of those tracks for exporting, they will turn red.
7.In the EXPORT TO box, select where you want to put the files on your harddrive
8.Click EXPORT
9. Open up ANY DAW you want and import the file from that location.
10. Thats it \:D

Thank you boys SO MUCH for this, I love it!!!

Somebody sticky this so we dont have to search for it and NEW USERS will know

shanabit
(Planeteer)
02/13/08 06:37 PM
Re: VS WaveExport Instructions

Trevsonic , here ya go

DAGtunes
(Planeteer)
02/13/08 07:14 PM

Thanks, Shanabit!

I just have one question...

Where's the ANY key located? (Instruction #4)

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Try the veal! ;\)

shanabit
(Planeteer)
02/13/08 07:21 PM

\:p

airproofing
(Planeteer)
02/13/08 07:35 PM

I also made a pdf instruction file with the help of Bear, Danielo, and FunkyBeat awhile back. It might not be up to date. Here it is anyway:

http://www.marahaleymusic.com/collabs/rdac_to_wav.pdf

Bruce

shanabit
(Planeteer)
02/13/08 08:10 PM

Thanks for that

bdorman
(Planeteer)
02/14/08 04:35 PM

Wow, I'm coming in late on this one so please bear with me for a couple of questions...

Does this convert all the v-tracks? If so, how does it name them? (t-1, v-1), (t-1, v-2)?

I assume it doesn't do anything regarding settings (EQ, FX, or automix that hasn't been printed, etc)?

Sounds great, but I might have the wrong impression about what you guys are talking about. It's happened before.

airproofing
(Planeteer)
02/14/08 05:33 PM

bdorman,
It exports all the v-tracks.
You use your VS backup disk and it converts all tracks to .wav format. No EQ, FX, etc, just the tracks as they are recorded.

Works slick.

Bruce

shanabit
(Planeteer)
02/14/08 05:45 PM

bdorman,

Just PRINT your EQ'd/Effected tracks to Virtual tracks.
Now you have both unless Im screwed up LOL

WinyardPro
(Planeteer)
02/14/08 06:02 PM

Please note VS WaveExport software is included in the VirDIS GUI now!

VirDIS Website & Info! Click this link.

VS WaveExport Instructions for VirDIS users:

Doing this in the VirDIS GUI software:

A Just open VS WaveExport from within VirDIS software
B Drop in the .HDD file
C Tracks are ready to convert to .WAV

1. Locate any of the existing .BIN or .HDD VirDIS backup files you wish to use (anywhere on the PC HDDs).
2. Open the VSWaveExport app within VirDIS GUI
3. Drag and drop the .BIN or .HDD VirDIS file into the app.
4. (Skip #4) No need to do this...
5.You'll now see a project name listed in the VS WaveExport app
5. Click on the project and you’ll see the tracks on the right under Selected tracks turn green.
6.You can now click on ANY of those tracks for exporting, they will turn red.
7. In the EXPORT TO box, select where you want to put the files on your hard drive
8. Click EXPORT
9. Open up ANY DAW you want and import the file from that location.
10. That’s it

If required - http://www.thegoodlibrary.com/VSWaveExport.html

Greggy
(Planeteer)
01/29/09 09:49 PM

I'm getting "no created song folders found" when I press start per instruction 3 above in shanabit's first post. I have a VS2400 backup cd in my computer CDR drive. The backup disc is of a song recorded in M24 mode on my VS2400. Am I correct in assuming this only works with the 2480?

EDIT: I fixed it. Had to change the command line to reflect the correct drive letter for my CDR drive. Thanks.

kibret
(Planeteer)
01/30/09 11:34 AM

I'll try it man! I had tried it so many times but was not successfull.

Kibret

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
01/30/09 12:46 PM

airproofing,
Can you or some body else go thru your PDF and see if it still works with the current VSWE software?
Thanks, Frank.

RealityRecordsTheCEO
(Space Cadet)
02/17/09 01:34 AM

Hello, My name is David, Im the owner/ceo of "Reality Records". I just started my record label, my studio, and also making beats all at the same time. Im using a (Roland VS-2480CD) to record, And a (M-Audio Axiom25) to make my beats. The problem is, I just recently got all of this equipment. So im learning how to use it all at the same time. I actually just got the axiom25 yesterday. So if there is anyone out there that know's anything about the (M-Audio Axiom25), and can guide me on how to start making a beat, please help???? And also if anyone knows how to pace hooks using the (Roland VS-2480) that would be a great help as well??? Hope to hear from someone soon, "Until Then" PEACE!!!! And remember, Being real is the only option-"Reality Records"!!!

Visionaire
(Planeteer)
02/17/09 02:34 AM

mistake......edited my post, but couldn't delete it!

mobilguy
(Planeteer)
02/22/09 12:31 PM

It's been a while since I've posted but I have to say this thing kicks butt if you're using VirDis. I mean Holy Moly, this is an impressive piece of work!

I just pulled up VirDis archive copies of 6 live shows of a band that I recorded on a 2480. Each show was 16 tracks each about 3 hours long. The band leader wanted the WAV files so he could have them for "posterity" sake. I said "Sure, no problem, just bring me a 300 gig USB2 drive and you'll have them". It took less than an hour to convert the 6 shows and move about 120GB of 24 bit, 44.1 linear WAV data to his drive. Gawd almighty, 3 years ago this would have taken me a couple of weeks or more to do.

FYI, the VS WavExport app seems to be a bit problematic if you're exporting Stereo linked tracks created in the 'Mastering Room' on the 2480. Anyone else having problems with Stereo Master Tracks?

jazzbassnick
(Planeteer)
02/22/09 01:50 PM

The only thing I've noticed is that ANY stereo tracks come out as individual mono tracks, which isn't a huge deal.

What kind of issues are you finding with the Mastered tracks?

mobilguy
(Planeteer)
02/23/09 03:51 PM

The stereo mastered tracks are not a big deal to me either. I simply noticed that the WavExport app only highlightes one of the two tracks (left side) and when it was exported I got an extremely noisy, clipped track of something that was not worth listening to.

Here again, I'm using the app with VirDis created BIN files so there may be something there, maybe? Aside from the stereo tracks being problematic it otherwise works great so far with VirDis.

I also tried the app on some old CD archives (5-6 years old) and I couldn't get it to do anything. This doesn't necessarily surprise me because the VS2480 itself has a hard time reading them if at all. CDs don't last forever. DVDs are even worse.

jazzbassnick
(Planeteer)
02/23/09 05:51 PM

Ah...interesting. I'm using VirDIS too, but the HD-emulation files are .hdd

mobilguy
(Planeteer)
02/23/09 07:12 PM

Ahhh...cool. I doubt it has anything to do with VirDis. It's more likely I made a mistake somewhere along the line.
I should go give Bill Casey a visit and get my system updated. Believe it or not, I was the guy who worked with Bill extensively helping him develop VirDis and here I am still using my beloved version 1.02b which still calls the files BINs.

jazzbassnick
(Planeteer)
02/23/09 07:23 PM

haha! Yeah - I wasn't using mine enough to really upgrade too often, but when I did I discovered something was broken. He fixed it same day and issue 2.25 (I think..).

stxx
(Planeteer)
03/29/09 07:54 PM

Man, This tool is awesome!!!! Great job!

Homefire
(Space Cadet)
04/09/09 01:52 AM

The command line is
cd2roland D "E:\Rip0000"

The "Export To" is the desktop

My CD drive is "E"

When I hit "Start", I get "The target folder does not exist!
This folder is required. Create it?

Then I get Can not create path E:!

What am I missing?

Bob

jazzbassnick
(Planeteer)
04/09/09 09:34 AM

The "D" in your example should be "E" for you CD Drive.

The path in quotes should be something like "C:\documents and settings\loginname\desktop\RipFolder"

Homefire
(Space Cadet)
04/09/09 11:19 AM

Thanks for the help, but it now tells me:
cd2roland is not recognized as an internal or external command

I am running XP. Perhaps this is the prob?

Bob

jazzbassnick
(Planeteer)
04/09/09 11:32 AM

Sounds like you're not in the same directory as the one that contains cd2roland

You could qualify the path to the executable. Say cd2roland is saved at the base of C:\ - the qualified path would be
c:\cd2roland E [destination path inserted here]

Homefire
(Space Cadet)
04/09/09 12:15 PM

Still getting errors.
Think I'll just export wav's the old way.

Thanks again for your time.

Bob

Homefire
(Space Cadet)
04/10/09 02:01 PM

Finally got it working but they're saved as VRI files.

Lost again.

Bob

martin s
(Planeteer)
05/15/09 12:43 PM

you just need to find the SONG.VR1 & drag it into the
VS Wave Export danielo's program.

from there export the v-tracks to waves.

martin

Homefire
(Space Cadet)
05/23/09 10:30 PM

Works!

Thanks.

fuzzball
(Planeteer)
06/05/09 09:41 AM

I love all the things we can do with the VS. Next I want to try to get the 2480 to work as an audio interface with reaper 3.0.

I use a V-fire.

Tinman
(Planeteer)
06/18/09 11:31 AM

Man It worked like a dream.Thanks great programme.Now I have the best of both worlds!Record on the VS and do the final mix on Software.Thanks.
rob.

Knobs Mc Gee
(Planeteer)
06/20/09 12:32 PM

Okay, so I haven’t checked in at The Planet for quite some time (head hung in shame) and the first thing I see is this cool bit of programming genius. I've been concerned about losing all my archived 2480 and 1680 projects when my 2480 finally goes the belly up but have not found the time or energy to start converting all of those tracks. I've still got a pile of back-ups from my Vestax HDR-6 and 1/4" 8 track reels from my Fostex A-8 that I'll probably never be able to do anything with. I haven't tried VSWE yet but I still find it hard to believe that there are folks out there who are brilliant enough to create such a piece of software and kind enough to share it for free. What's left to say but a heartfelt THANK YOU!

Knobs

WinyardPro
(Planeteer)
06/25/09 09:22 PM

Yep, very cool that you can now drag and drop a VS file directly into the RDAC-WAV Converter and all the V-Tracks are there! Who would have thought? Lots of good people putting lots of hours in just to keep the VS rockin and rolling along...

Zed Leppelin
(Planeteer)
07/14/09 03:57 AM

Very cool.
Time to stop using my VS as a decoration and turn it on.

zorprime
(Space Cadet)
07/16/09 07:17 PM

if one has access to a 2480, cant they "track export" and have their tracks converted to .WAV files?

with that said, that worked last year but it didn't work this year. the "operation failed". Roland gave me 3 options:

1. use Taiyo Yuden cd's then try to "track export", because 99/100 times, its the media.

2. if that doesn't work, the hard drive is destabilizing, and try to just make Back ups. then reformat hardrive.

3. transfer tracks/back ups to an external hardrive via SCSI connection to SCSI control card and harddrive enclosure.

i asked, " can't i use a SCSI to USB adapter and then connect to the hardrive with the USB side...they said, in the Monty Python, french soldier voice, "NO. now go away, or a i shall taunt you a second time!"

is there a way i can transfer tracks to an external hardrive without the SCSI, enclosure and SCSI control card?

Wolfehollow
(Planeteer)
07/16/09 11:19 PM

you can always take the HD out of the box and plug it into your CPU... then just dump the files into the wave converter.

wemccullough
(Space Cadet)
07/17/09 10:25 AM

I gotta tell ya ... I've only been on this forum for about twenty minutes and it's already made my recording life easier!!!
Thanks for all this info guys.

TWC
(Space Cadet)
07/24/09 07:24 PM

I'm having similar problems as some others.

My commandline says:
cd2roland D "C:\Rip0000"

My CD/DVD drive is E.

Following the instructions I get the error:
Run-time error '52':
Bad file name or number
Any help?
Thanks,
Tom
(I'm running Vista Home Premium(64-bit))

WinyardPro
(Planeteer)
08/05/09 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: zorprime
Roland gave me 3 options:

1. use Taiyo Yuden cd's then try to "track export", because 99/100 times, its the media.

2. if that doesn't work, the hard drive is destabilizing, and try to just make Back ups. then reformat hardrive.

3. transfer tracks/back ups to an external hardrive via SCSI connection to SCSI control card and harddrive enclosure.

Or use VirDIS. It is very easy...

Doolang
(Planeteer)
11/10/09 08:11 AM

Im trying to figure out how to rip mastered stereo tracks from my back up. I noticed someone else had problems with this. Also, it's a live show that's 3 DVDs. Do I just load each up then rip? I've tried a buncha stuff..no luck. Any help? I just need the stereo tracks..

Thanks!

the man incognito
(Planeteer)
11/30/09 08:38 PM

Maybe I'm missing something.
The directions say:

"To operate on VirDis Files, drag the *.bin or *.hdd file into the list of Found Roland Drives. After storing a file via VS onto the VirDis, hit F5 in the Wave Export App to refresh the content."

I drag and drop the .BIN file into the the area and nothing happens...any suggestions?

carlsim
(Space Cadet)
12/14/09 10:48 AM
Re: VS WaveExport Instructions problem...

hi all... am new to the forum so hi!
I need some help... i run a music tech course at a college and we use 2 vs2480's for students recording work... i want them to mix in cubase (time issues) and rather than the lengthy process of using the track export function, the 'vs wave export' software looked like the answer to my prayers... until i tried using it... project backs up fine, working at MTP 44.1 format - double checked that in the project list. The cd will rip ok and im left with a folder of vri files... so far so good. When the ripper says - press any key to continue, the project appears in the list, i select all the tracks and go to export and it says 'unknown format' and wont do anything else.
Have double checked and the format on the VS is definately MTP recorded at 44.1...
it does state in the project name:
Project: p\Rip0000/SO,UKN,64000Hz,Folder:SONG9807.VR1
When you select tracks, it warns about overlapping tracks but carrys on happily until you press 'export' and comes back with 'unknown format'...
Im concerned about the 64000Hz reading in the project name... is this the problem???
Can someone help??? Pleeeeeeeeeeease??

Vercom
(Space Cadet)
12/26/09 06:47 AM
VS WAVEEXPORT VS2480 + VS2400 MASTER SLAVE SETUP

Exporting tracks that come from vs2480 and vs2400 are not in sync when I connect my hdd's to my computer en use the waveexport tool.
They are all in sync if i use the built in export to cd tool on the workstations.
Anyone having the same problem ?
How can i solve this ?

JM

shanabit
(Planeteer)
12/30/09 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: carlsim
hi all... am new to the forum so hi!
I need some help... i run a music tech course at a college and we use 2 vs2480's for students recording work... i want them to mix in cubase (time issues) and rather than the lengthy process of using the track export function, the 'vs wave export' software looked like the answer to my prayers... until i tried using it... project backs up fine, working at MTP 44.1 format - double checked that in the project list. The cd will rip ok and im left with a folder of vri files... so far so good. When the ripper says - press any key to continue, the project appears in the list, i select all the tracks and go to export and it says 'unknown format' and wont do anything else.
Have double checked and the format on the VS is definately MTP recorded at 44.1...
it does state in the project name:
Project: p\Rip0000/SO,UKN,64000Hz,Folder:SONG9807.VR1
When you select tracks, it warns about overlapping tracks but carrys on happily until you press 'export' and comes back with 'unknown format'...
Im concerned about the 64000Hz reading in the project name... is this the problem???
Can someone help??? Pleeeeeeeeeeease??

SAME here, its NOT working with Vista Home Premium here and I get the SAME error as you are getting

Project:ip0000/SONG4,UKN,64000Hz,Folder: SONG3634.VR1

bear
(Planeteer)
01/04/10 06:49 PM

Shanabit - this has been identified as the output filename too long problem...

See here...

http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=936332#Post936332

BTW everyone - this sticky is NOT one I read regularly - if you have problems with the ripper, post it in a post asking for me by name in the title and I will be a lot more likely to see it and try to help...

shanabit
(Planeteer)
01/06/10 08:46 AM

Tanks bro

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/10 06:42 PM

H

slotz
(Planeteer)
01/18/10 11:41 AM

I just got a computer to go with my 2480.
Is it best to get the VirDis card or wait for the external?
Is there an advantage to the external?

WinyardPro
(Planeteer)
06/22/10 11:08 PM

Last time I spoke with Bill, I think the Stand-alone External version will support only one VS-2480 but will work on all computer platforms via LAN.

With the VirDIS card the current operating system is Windows XP (recommended) with driver support on the way for Vista/Windows 7.

The External version is being developed primarily to address users with Laptops/Notebooks ONLY. However, it will also work with desktop PC's with LAN.

The VirDIS Card version is for desktops primarily and is system dependant i.e. Windows XP, Vista, 7 and NT. However, for studio owners who use multiple VS2480's and need more than one SCSI PORT to the PC (2 x VS2480's) the cards are the way to go.

Portability and Multi-platform will be the advantages to the Stand-alone External VirDIS.

Multiple Cards is the advantage with the VirDIS Cards - Many years of development behind them and solid performance.

Personally it's a 50/50 split - I currently have two VirDIS cards in a rack mountable Windows XP machine and they work fine.

http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/Take3-4_rack_mount.pdf
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?Type=Mg==&id=Mzg=

I'm sure that anything Bill Casey develops in the future will be stable.

That said, the cards do exist now and the external is under development so this could mean a wait if there are some bugs with the external option.

Also, Bill like to release stuff that works and has been tested unlike some companies that use new product users to test their software release. So he takes as much time as required to make it work right so that he doesn't jerk around his clients.

The cards are now the external is future.

This probably didn't help much... sorry.

CrankyRayHanky
(Planeteer)
07/06/10 02:24 AM

wow, just stubled into this thread...wow, time to come out of my VS cave and play with others!

music project
(Space Cadet)
07/29/10 12:58 AM
extracting audio files from multi-disc backups... can it be done ?

hi there guys.
thanks for this wonderfull application.
i sold my 2480cd a long time ago and now trying to remix some songs.

i have some multi-cd backups and i noticed i cannot extract from the first cd from a series of backups. any solution ?

bear
(Planeteer)
07/29/10 10:46 AM
Re: extracting audio files from multi-disc backups... can it be done ?

Why not? It should work. What does it do when you try?

I don't advise using VSWE for multiple CD backups. Run the ripper stand-alone to get the roland files and then use VSWE or reaper to convert.

To run multi CD backups, rip them IN ORDER and FROM THE SAME directory on the PC. As each CD is ripped, files will accumulate in the SONG sub directories created.

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
10/17/10 10:41 PM

How accurate is the VS Wave Export? Is the conversion identical?

What is the latest version and how can I get this program? Does this work with Windows 7?

Thanks,

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
10/20/10 08:18 PM

anybody like the VS Wave Export??????????????????

jazzbassnick
(Planeteer)
10/20/10 08:27 PM

Couldn't live without it, professionally speaking ;\)

I've only used it on 44.1k and 48k MTP files and, yeah - exactly what I was expecting came out.

Randyman...
(Planeteer)
10/20/10 08:31 PM

It worked for me in XP SP3 and W7-64. I don't have the link , but IIRC the most recent version had an older version of Bear's CD Ripper included - but you can simply download bear's most recent CD Ripper (Jan 2010 IIRC) and replace the older version that's included in the VS Wave Export folder (replace the old CD2Roland with the new one - same file name). Then the VS Wave Export application will use the newer CD Ripper.

If you are pulling fles off a Roland HD - then that is a moot point (only a concern for extracting CD/DVD Data Backups)

There shold be a master thread in the 2480 forum. I remember the HTTP link to the VS Wave Export had "thegoodlibrary" in it or similar...

It took a group of very smart planeteers lots of time to get this together via reverse engineering, etc - Roland could have offered this from day one - but neglected to even ater many requests for such an application \:\( The user community came to the rescue! \:D

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
10/21/10 08:36 PM

Anyone know if CD Ripper (Jan 2010 IIRC) works with Windows 7 64-bit?

I have win 7 pro so I could also use the XP Compatibility Mode. Comments?

Thanks for the help!

Randyman...
(Planeteer)
10/21/10 09:46 PM

Works fine as mentioned above ;\)

Download this:
http://www.thegoodlibrary.com/VSWE/VSWE1.24a.zip

and replace the CD2Roland in that folder with this one (v.022):
http://www.ps139.com/vs880ex/util/Cd2Rol022.zip

I think I ran it as Administrator - but it worked fine in W7-64 and XP SP3...

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
10/23/10 05:21 PM
Best NEW Channel Strip and Preamp for under $1000

I'm look for the best Best NEW Channel Strip and Preamp for under $1000 with a digital output or digital option.

A two input or stereo would unit would be even better.

Thanks,
Steve

Randyman...
(Planeteer)
10/23/10 05:24 PM

I'd start a new thread. This thread is about VS Wave Export ;\)

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
10/24/10 07:53 PM

changed to new thread

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
10/26/10 08:08 AM

1. After you run VS WaveExport will all tracks be time aligned when you load them into Sonar 8?

2. Suppose you do some mixing and adding effects in Sonar 8 and decide you need to re-record some tracks on the VS-2480. What's the best procedure to do this, then bring those tracks back over to Sonar again? Or, what's the best way to work back and forth between the VS-2480 and Sonar as the song progresses?

LakeStone Karl
(Planeteer)
10/26/10 09:30 AM

1) If you export "from Zero", or similar wording. There are two choices, from Zero or Not.

2) I can't help ya there.

Randyman...
(Planeteer)
10/26/10 03:40 PM

If you re-record new tracks in the same 2480 project - then the newly recorded tracks will export the same as the original tracks as long as they are exported from zero as Karl mentioned (they will line up perfectly). You'd simply export the new files, import them into Sonar and continue mixing...

Should be cake...

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
10/26/10 09:56 PM

Thanks Karl, hope you and family are doing well, it's been years.

Randy, thanks for getting me up to date again on this 2480 questions. I think it's been 4 year since I fired it up.

KevinRobb
(Space Cadet)
11/11/10 12:54 PM

Hey, I'm Running Windows Vista, is there a way I can use this program, using a CD-RW backup disc of a project? I've downloaded it, changed the "c:" in the command line to "D:". yet it still appears to not be working. It says the "Target file does not exist. Create it?"

if I say Yes, it tells me " Error, Cannot create path D:!"

If I say No, it tells me " Cannot create Batch file!"

any help would be great!

Randyman...
(Planeteer)
11/11/10 01:19 PM

Try to run the CD2Roland from within the VS Wave Export application. Open VS Wave Export, and click "Extras" and "Rip from CD-R". It will fill in the command line prompt for you. You can change the destination if desired. Also make sure you've replaced the CD2Roland that comes with the VSWE1.24a. See my post above for the link to bear's CD2Roland v0.22...

Might need to be running as Admin as well...

the man incognito
(Planeteer)
01/01/11 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: the man incognito
The directions say:

"To operate on VirDis Files, drag the *.bin or *.hdd file into the list of Found Roland Drives. After storing a file via VS onto the VirDis, hit F5 in the Wave Export App to refresh the content."

I drag and drop the .BIN file into the the area and nothing happens...any suggestions?

Trying to look at this again because its time to make the move off the 2480...
I'm having the same issue.
Nothing happens when I drag and drop the .BIN file created by VirDIS into the 'Found drives and file:' area of the VS Wave Export.
Still looking for suggestions to get this to work.

Mark Oakley
(Planeteer)
01/01/11 08:29 PM

VS Wave Export is a "must have" app for me.

Every Monday I do live sound for a TV show in Toronto. I also record 32 tracks of audio to a pair of 2480's. The turn-around time is crazy: shoot Monday night, have the audio (90 min) ready and delivered to the Video guys Tuesday morning, show airs Friday night. When I get home, I immediately set up the recorders, and by 12 midnite, start mixing.

Around 8 am, I'm finished, so I pull the HD, pop it in my Song Vault external drive, hook it up to my PC, and use VS Wave Export to extract the finished Mastered tracks. With Wavelab, I then turn those .wav files into a 256kb .mp3, and then with YouSendIt, send it off to Hamilton Ontario to the Video guys to lay into the video file.

Without VS Wave Export, I'd have to export the finished Master track to CD (Left side to one CD, Right side to another), and that would take some time (about 90 min.). Total time to export 90 min of 24 bit stereo audio with VS Wave Export? 7-8 minutes. Thanks Danelio.

-Mark

the man incognito
(Planeteer)
01/19/11 07:59 PM

The directions say:

Trying to look at this again because its time to make the move off the 2480...
I'm having the same issue.
Nothing happens when I drag and drop the .BIN file created by VirDIS into the 'Found drives and file:' area of the VS Wave Export.
Still looking for suggestions to get this to work.

Nobody on the forum has anything for me??

bear
(Planeteer)
01/19/11 08:16 PM

Well, I just wanted you to know you are not being ignored...

I don't have VIRDIS so I can't help, but I know it works for some people...

Maybe start a fresh post in the 2480 forum or even the BarandGrill to make sure someone who does have VIRDIS can respond. Have yu tried getting in touch with Bill Casey who developed VirDis?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
01/19/11 09:41 PM

I'm not in this forum very often because I don't use the 2480 and there are too many differences between it and the 1680 I do use for me to be of much use.... but I do use VirDis now and then.

First thing that comes to mind is to ask what recording mode your VS files are in... No problem for VirDis to store in its bin files, but VSWE does not recognize/work with certain VS formats.... LIV formats in particular... Is this a possible source of the problem you're experiencing?

Did you hit F5 with VSWE the active window to refresh it after dropping the bin file into VSWE?

If I think of anything else, I'll certainly be happy to help out.

Calling/writing to Bill Casey is an excellent idea (as bear suggested). Bill isn't too active on the forums (I suspect since I haven't seen him post in a long while), so getting a hold of him directly would be much faster than waiting for him to respond here.

the man incognito
(Planeteer)
01/25/11 06:41 PM

Thanks for both posts...
I don't think its a VIRDIS issue...it creates .bin files that are file. Seems more like a VSWE issue.
None of my songs use LIV formats, so that can't be it.
But something as I read closer

"After storing a file via VS onto the VirDis..."

After storing?

Would be nice if VSWE supplied some sort of visual queues to show if something was working or not..

I haven't tried with a .hdd file yet.
Maybe that will solve my issue...if not, I'll hit Bill up.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
01/25/11 08:51 PM

After storing simply means after saving a VS song to a VirDis virtual drive... probably also have to eject the virtual drive from the VS connection so it's not locked down... not sure what else it could mean.

LakeStone Karl
(Planeteer)
02/16/11 08:38 AM

I used the "PACK" feature, but the resulting .EXE fails.

When I try to run it, I get a "Testing Mode" message box, then a "Path Not Found" message box, then it quits.

Any Ideas??

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/16/11 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeStone Karl
I used the "PACK" feature, but the resulting .EXE fails.

When I try to run it, I get a "Testing Mode" message box, then a "Path Not Found" message box, then it quits.

Any Ideas??

There's your problem. Don't use "PACK".
Not only will you get .wav files, but you'll be able to see VSWE actually showing its progress as it builds the files for you.

I'm just guessing that the Pack mode is designed for something other than building .wav files....... Got no idea what it IS for.... just no reason to use it. sure, it makes the resulting .exe file very small, but it doesn't give you .wav files, which is what we're after here.... right?

LakeStone Karl
(Planeteer)
02/18/11 02:46 PM

I thought the whole idea behind the PACK feature was to place a bunch of WAVS into a self-extracting ZIPfile!!

jazzbassnick
(Planeteer)
02/18/11 02:51 PM

I thought the whole idea behind the PACK feature was to place a bunch of WAVS into a self-extracting ZIPfile!!

Me too! ;\)

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/18/11 09:42 PM

Well, an .exe file is not a zip file... What does the .exe file self-extract into?

So, looking at this pack mode more carefully tonight, I see that what it does is reduce the size of the data cd rip (obviously). I guess that's designed as a convenient way to store bunches of cd rips into a small amount of space.

Ultimately, you must drag the .exe file into VSWE to extract the .wav files... notice that .exe icon is a VSWE icon. The file doesn't self-extract by double-clicking on it, because there's nowhere for it to self-extract. That's why you get the error message... I don't know what "testing mode" means, although I see it as well.

At any rate, to extract the .wav files, you have to drag the .exe file into VSWE.

If you're not concerned about storage space (with terabyte drives for less than $100, it's kinda tough to be stingy on space these days), then just use the Export button instead. You'll get .wav files right away.

jazzbassnick
(Planeteer)
02/18/11 09:57 PM

Admittedly, I haven't looked at VSWE in awhile, but self-extracting zips have been around as long as I can remember with WinZip. I think the original idea was you could zip files to self-extracting exe file then pass the archive to someone who didn't have WinZip installed.

The icon association *shouldn't* mean anything, as it's relatively easy to assign an icon to anything.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/19/11 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: jazzbassnick
Admittedly, I haven't looked at VSWE in awhile, but self-extracting zips have been around as long as I can remember with WinZip. I think the original idea was you could zip files to self-extracting exe file then pass the archive to someone who didn't have WinZip installed.

The icon association *shouldn't* mean anything, as it's relatively easy to assign an icon to anything.

I considered those very valid points as well. My point being that if you're after the .wav files you have to drage the .exe into VSWE to get at them. You can't get them by double-clicking the .exe file, or via a right-click "extract" menu like you can with a program like WinZip.

Maybe the "Testing Mode" message means that the function was still under construction????

LakeStone Karl
(Planeteer)
02/19/11 01:10 PM

Well, I can certainly extract the WAVs myself, then pack them myself, it's not rocket science.

But I thought the PACK button did that *for* me.

Self-extracting ZIPS almost always have a ".exe" extension.

When sharing large files over the internet, ZIPs and SelfExtractors can speed things up considerably.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/19/11 10:07 PM

Yes...... you can certainly use the packed button to have VSWE pack the VS song file for you. I don't think that's in question anymore (especially since I hopefully cleared up any confusion brought on by my own initial confusion). \:\)

Maybe VSWE is THE "self-extraction" program that's required at both ends of the file pack/share scenario. The way that WinZip or Windows compression program is the program used to "self-extract" a compressed folder created with Win...

After all a compressed folder doesn't normally "self-extract" by clicking on it, you must choose to extract it through the right-click menu, or have that compressed folder-type designated in Windows to automatically send it to the compression program.

Maybe you could go into the workings of Windows and assign that file-type to open in VSWE with a simple double-click. I didn't try that, but I did try adding VSWE to the right-click list of programs and all I could get that to do was to open VSWE... It didn't put the .exe file in the VSWE window.

Absolutely... for sharing files, this packed type is great... You just need VSWE at both ends... Simple install... free program... painless.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/19/11 10:22 PM

Oh! I just realized another point you were trying to make that I wasn't understanding...
When you say "self-extracting zip files", you're talking about self-extracting program files! I understand now how you could think that that file with the .exe at the end should self-extract... Unlike a ZIP file, which in my experience never has an .exe extension, but a .zip extension instead.

A self-extracting compressed file with an .exe extension must also have the necessary files included in it in which to self-extract into, correct? Do you know of a way to find out what files are contained within the .exe file created by VSWE?

I did notice the .wav files being created by VSWE before the packed file was completed the last two times I tested... It's the same progress bars I see when I normally extract the .wav files. So, it appears that during the "Packed" operation VSWE extracts/creates .wav files of all the track just as it normally would, but then puts them, along with the other necessary VS song file data into the compressed .exe file.

But what else does it put in there??? Not a copy of the program, from what I can tell.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/19/11 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: jazzbassnick
Admittedly, I haven't looked at VSWE in awhile, but self-extracting zips have been around as long as I can remember with WinZip. I think the original idea was you could zip files to self-extracting exe file then pass the archive to someone who didn't have WinZip installed...

Just another point I'd like clarification on.

If someone were to create a self-extracting file (with an .exe extension) and want to send it via email or otherwise over the net, wouldn't they also first need to contain the .exe file inside a zipped folder? I know I always have to.

LakeStone Karl
(Planeteer)
02/21/11 08:23 AM

utd....a little history....

When ZIP files first were introduced, the program "WinZip" was required both to pack the files and to unpack them.

Eventually, WinZip evolved and made a version where only the sender needed the program. The term "self-extracting ZIP file" refers to an executable file that contains all the instructiuons required to extracts it's contents to a user-selectable location.

So it is very common these days to have a .EXE file that needs no help to extracts it's own contents.

But somehow that functionality is corrupt on my version of VSWE. I was just wondering if it works for anybody??

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/21/11 08:54 AM

Well, then I'd say I've confirmed that it's corrupt on mine as well, since I also receive the same messages as you if I try to simply open it.

Thanks for the info.. there's a lot about computers I simply don't know the history.

headwerkn2
(Planeteer)
05/01/11 01:49 AM

Hi all,

Not sure if this one has been covered yet... nothing mentioned on the VS Wave Export page for dealing with the darned MSCOMCTL.OCX file under Windows 7; a different command is required to register it so the app will start up.

Found a working solution here -> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...cc-9130eb17fdb4

- MSCOMCTL.OCX is a set of 32-bit controls that were provided with the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 programming environment
- FLAC frontend is written in Visual Basic 6.0 (it seems, I do not use FLAC)
- To use 32-bit controls like MSCOMCTL.OCX on a 64-bit version of Windows 7 they have to be installed and registered in: C:\Windows\SysWOW64 to run in the "WOW [Windows on Windows] emulation environment
- On my install of 64-bit Windows 7 I found MSCOMCTL.OCX already present in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory, I am not sure if its there by default or if I installed something that placed it there for me.

- If you go to your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory and see MSCOMCTL.OCX already in there then try this:

Browse to your command prompt shortcut via Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->Command Prompt. Right click on that Command Prompt icon and choose and Run as administrator. Click Yes to tell UAC you really want to run it.

When the black window open with your command prompt type this in:

cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64 - push Enter key

The prompt should change to: C:\Windows\SysWOW64

They type:

regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx - push Enter key

If you get a Window that pops up and says, "DllRegisterServer in mscomctl.ocx succeeded" then click OK and try the frontend install again.

-----

The whole 32/64 bit thing is important... I realised I was running 64 bit Windows 7 virtualised under Parallels on my i3 iMac, the component file needs to go in a different folder so the 32bit program can run in XP emulation mode.

What's the chance of a MacOSX native version of the converter app ever being written/adapted?

Cheers, Ben.

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
05/24/11 09:40 AM

after completing the process of exporting the wav files, all of my wav files are silent? When I look at the properties, they show large file sizes as if there is data there but when I open the wav files there is a straight line where the wafeform should be? Any ideas?

cooljuanv
(Space Cadet)
05/28/11 09:26 PM

Can I use WaveExport on a mac?

headwerkn2
(Planeteer)
09/03/11 09:53 PM

With Parallels or VMware running a Windows install on an Intel Mac, yes. There is no native MacOSX version of the software though.

I'm actually about to begin learning Objective-C and MacOSX development; doing an OSX version would be something I'd love to do if/when I ever get the skills. If the original author would be happy to share the core libraries that make the Roland to WAV conversion possible, please get in touch with me!

Cheers, Ben.

bear
(Planeteer)
09/03/11 10:48 PM

There are two main tasks here (3 if you count CD ripping...)

One is to take the RDAC encoded audio information in a roland TAKE file and convert it to .wav

The other is to decode the information in the EVENTLST file, which has all the timeline information for placing audio at the correct spot in the song timeline.

Danielo handled this by making all wav files start at time 0 and padding with silence.

Randygo handled this in the reaper .dll by presenting internal reaper pointers to indicate start times for all TAKE files.

Neither of these guys have been seen around here for a LONG time. Although I actually emailed Randygo a few weeks ago by accident, and he replied.

Danielo is still available by email through his goodlibrary website as far as I know.

The original RDAC conversion stuff is written in C and I believe I have source for some of the original work archived somewhere. Eventually this was turned into a .dll for other programs to use.

Danielos VSWE was written in VisualBasic - I do not do Visual Basic, but I THINK I have source for ver 1.23. Since I do not have VB I do not know if it complete or compilable.

I never got a copy of Randygo source for the Reaper .dll, so unless he is willing to provide it, and still has it, this is lost code.

Dealing with the EVENTLST is very tricky - much work went into reverse-engineering it.

Actually Randygo and Danielo went about it slightly differently - I haves seen cases where Reaper can deal with backup files that VSWE cannot.

jpmcneil
(Space Cadet)
10/21/11 02:32 AM

Bear and Headwerkn2: Any movement on the above? I have a crashed 2400, and am considering buying a 2480 on ebay...or just bailing from the whole VS thing (like Roland bailed on us). But I got lots of data disks with lots of tracks on em, and nowhere to go. The file for the software link online is corrupted (careful). I would be internally, externally, and e-ternally grateful if anyone can re-create that magical thing. I bet there are others who feel the same. Thanks, JP

bear
(Planeteer)
10/21/11 03:07 AM

jpmcneil - email me - my addy is in my profile - and I will reply to you with VSWE, the ripper and reaper.dll package

Mark_Tokach
(Space Cadet)
02/02/12 06:19 PM

I have a client who brought me 2 hard drives that were from sessions done on a vs 2480. I am not sure of the contents. I mean I'm not sure if songs are saved as back up files or not. Is there a way to back these drives up before I try anything? What is the best way to ensure I don't mess anything up? I don't have easy access to a 2480 at the moment. Will this even work this way? TIA, Mark.

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
02/02/12 06:38 PM

You need to have a VS to do the VS backups. VSWavexport should be able to handle the VS hard drives no problem. That's how it's done, just pull the HD out of the VS and daisey chain it in a PC with WavEx.

Mark_Tokach
(Space Cadet)
02/02/12 07:06 PM

Just to clarify, I just have the drives, no 2480, I read somewhere that you are not supposed to try this with 2480 system drives with out doing backups first. I also read that it can work with non backed up projects from the drive but not backed up projects from the drive, only from the cd.
When you do this does it remove the data from the disks or just copy and convert it? There is a lot of important data on 2 drives. 3 projects worth or so. Also when the process is done, are the files all going to start at the same point in a song? Will they play in sync or does one have to move them? Never had any experience with vs 2480 or the like. Is there any advantage using reaper or is it just another way. I use Cubase 6 by the way. Can I just copy the entire contents of the drives as a backup to be safe? Thanks, worried!

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
02/02/12 07:54 PM

If you don't have a VS, you can't do backups ups first unless you can clone thpose HDs first but I'm not sure what software will clone the VS format files on an HD. Maybe Norton Ghost?

All you need are the drives.
Daisy chain ie, plug the hard drive into the cables the burner is plugged into so it reads as a spare HD in the PC.

Yes the songs will all play correctly from zero etc just like they did in the VS. It will export the raw wav files off the HD. Reaper is great for working with the VS song files, you can just drop them into Reaper and save as .wav or mp3 etc.

Hang around for more info on the rest of your questions.Of coure, if you read thru this VSWavEx post most of your questions will be answered, IMO.
Good luck.

ulank
(Planeteer)
02/06/12 08:01 PM

OK - so without reading 20000+ posts....what gives with exporting stereo wav files?....I've successfully done it with mono wavs, but when I select track export on a linked pair, it doesn't select them both and when it spits out teh wav, the size looks reasonable (twice as big as a mono file) but only has the left side's name and is about 19min long for a 4 min clip....I dumped the tracks from a linked pair to the mastering room in non-CDR format and they are linked in the mastering room, but when I select them for export, I have to choose L and R individually...doesn't seem right....anyway I can do this without downloading this tool and/or playing hard drive boogie?

Mark_Tokach
(Space Cadet)
02/22/12 04:07 PM

Can I use an external enclosure that is usb 2.0 for the vs 2480 drives or must I hook up as IDE to burner?

Mark_Tokach
(Space Cadet)
02/23/12 02:19 PM

Ok I have no success with cd2roland with a drive hooked up via usb to win xp sp2 PC. I guess it only works with backup cd's. Vs wave export now works since I got MSCOM file.I open it with drive connected and can see partitions. How can I tell if the drives are in backup mode or playable only by looking at the contents of drive? This drive is a dear old friend's life work. He has passed and there are a lot of projects on this. It recomends not using main system drive with vs wave export. I want to be very safe here! There are several partitions all in the 10 gb range in size.
Can I use Magic iso on the drives to get them on a dvd?It seems safer to use the other. Or do I need to go to someone that has a vs 2480? It looks like that program will do large files if you buy it. Almost there! Thanks

bear
(Planeteer)
02/23/12 06:23 PM

If you have the actual VS drives hooked to the PC, then there is no need for the CD2ROLAND program. Just use the VSWE program directly to convert the Roland files to .wav.

When you do the convert, specify the destination write of the converted wav files to your PC harddrive NOT the VS drive.

DO NOT write to the VS drive while it is hooked to your PC

Partitions on the VS drive past 4 WILL NOT be visible from normal windows. You MUST use the VSWE program to see them

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
03/23/12 11:51 PM

just checked out this post.... tried to download the VS export App but not getting anything coming up on the link :

is it somewhere else?

Thanks!

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/24/12 12:33 AM

You know, this comes up now and again.

I just used the link you provided and I can access each of the links on the good library page with no problem.

I just wonder if it isn't something set in either your web browser, firewall, or anti-virus that's causing the links to not work.

Sending you a PM.... I hope.

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
03/24/12 12:37 AM

strange.... I keep trying on Fire Fox & Int. Explorer & get nothing ... go figure!

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 12:01 AM

dilemma.... !

this was working great however I was downloading a backup dvd with over 4 gig on it and only had about 3gig left on my internal hard drive. Thus I ran out of space on the disk. I've been trying like crazy to find the files that were downloaded and am coming up clueless. Any idea where these were downloaded to so I can trash them and start over with a smaller backup disk. When I started I thought I was downloading to my big external drive... now I'm just jammed up with no space and can't do much of anything. Where did those files download to???

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 12:32 AM

You mean that you were copying some VS files from a backup dvd over to your PC and ran out of hard drive space on the PC hard drive you were copying to?

Or were you going the other way...... from PC to VS?

Either way, the files must be wherever you told the machine to copy them.

I could think of a couple of ways to search for them on a PC hard drive. I don't know enough about the dtails of 2480-land to suggest ways to search them out on the VS.

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 12:55 AM

was going from backup drive to PC hard drive. files downloaded and stopped at about 50% complete.... I wanted them in my external drive but I guess they are put on the internal drive first? Can't find them at all..... just a full drive!

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 12:56 AM

sorry, backup dvd disk to PC hard drive to be more accurate...

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 01:25 AM

when you rip the files from cd or dvd where do they go on the c drive? I want them on my external drive & not the internal drive... can't find them to trash for shinola !

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 02:06 AM

OK .... working on this for a long time now and found the RIP0000 files that were hiding in another folder in my c drive.... that problem solved!!!

next problem:

I put in a cd backup and ripped it ok , selected the files ok, but when I went to export to my external drive I got a VS Wave Export Window that gave me a message : Run-Time error '6' overflow. not working for me yet... any ideas?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 08:02 AM

I don't know run-time error codes... too deep for my tiny brain.

Maybe the external drive and/or its pathway (old, slower USB, or USB on a hub, maybe?) are too slow to move the data as fast as the VSWE/CD2Roland program wants to move it.

I don't remember anymore, but is there some way that you can pre-define how much of the backup disc is ripped at one time? Seems to me that your best solution might be to free up space on your C drive enough so that you can do the rip to it and then copy the ripped files to your external drive. Then you can delete the ripped files from the C drive and free it up for more rips, or just to move the other files back on to it.... know what I'm saying?

Souds also like you need a larger C drive (or C partition).

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 01:55 PM

I did rip to the c drive successfully.... so your saying I need to export to a folder in the c drive and then copy to the external drive . So basically the VS Wave Export program has to be done entirely within the c drive?

bear
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 04:25 PM

The CD ripper can either have an output path specified, or it defaults to the path where the executable (cd2roland.exe) is stored. Command format is cd2roland [either optical drive letter OR .iso file name] (["output path"] optional)

The VSWE program sets the output path of the RIPPED FILES to c:\RIP0000 but this can be changed to anything you want

The VSWE also allows setting the path to the CONVERTED WAV files to anywhere you like, and it does not have to be the same place as the ripped roland format files

I do not know about the runtime error 6 overflow message. This is an internal Visual Basic error code - it is unhappy with some number somewhere.

If the VSWE is not working correctly with this file, then I would try converting it inside of reaper.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 06:02 PM

What bear said. \:\)

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
03/28/12 09:27 PM

thanks guys.... I'll keep working on it.... let you know what happens next.

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
03/30/12 02:31 PM

hey Bear.... I recently downloaded VLC Media Player & it became the default player... do you think that may have something to do with the error message. The wav files are starting to export in VLC media before I get the error code. I can always trash it?

Poodaddy
(Space Cadet)
04/12/12 08:54 AM

Hello everyone I'm new. I just bought the VS2480 off craigslist. I'm having trouble upgrading it from 2.01 to current OS version. I have a external CD burner that was bought seperate. Pls list me the steps kinda in detail. Here's what I have done already. I have went on roland site to download updates, which was in OSI format and converted it to MIDI files (I guess). Tried pulling it up in 2480, but no results.

jazzbassnick
(Planeteer)
04/12/12 08:56 AM

MODS: Can we get this moved to a new topic?

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
04/15/12 08:30 AM

ok guys ... got this to work on a friends computer as I thought.... worked like a charm !!! Thanks again!

One more question: what is the reaper app you sent me & what does it do uptildawn?

Thanks again.... finally getting over the hurdles!

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
04/15/12 12:45 PM

Reaper is like Sonar, Pro Tools, etc but it works great with VS and VSWavExport!!

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
04/15/12 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikey Mike
ok guys ... got this to work on a friends computer as I thought.... worked like a charm !!! Thanks again!

One more question: what is the reaper app you sent me & what does it do uptildawn?

Thanks again.... finally getting over the hurdles!

The reaper .dll is meant to be installed (just copied) into the Reaper effects folder found in the Reaper program file folder.
Once there, you should be able to open entire VS Songs directly in Reaper if you choose to do so. Reaper then imports all the individual main tracks into corresponding channels and any track layers are imported in parallel channels (as opposed to layer stacks as they are in the VS... unless this has been changed since I last messed with Reaper). Some people find this a worthwhile convenience, as you may if you work with Reaper a lot.

Oh! Glad you got it to work!!

Mikey Mike
(Planeteer)
04/16/12 10:32 PM

thanks man!
huge help!

Elroy
(Space Cadet)
05/14/12 07:47 AM

Is there a Mac download?

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/15/12 10:30 PM

HEY BEAR >> Any secret to getting this file on board ? Having problems with mscomctl.ocx -- loaded several times >> WavExport you loaded says " still missing " guess we should had executed when you were here \:\( ,,, give it one more try.

This is why I don't' record to my PC :-)

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/16/12 12:17 AM

If you were recording direct to a PC, you wouldn't have much call for VSWE, would you?

Found this bit of info about getting to register:

"Component MSCOMCTL.OCX or one of its dependencies not currently registered ...

Sometime certain Microsoft Libraries can become unregistered when installing and uninstalling a lot of software. One very common problem is the MSCOMCTL.OCX.

To correct the error, first search your drive for MSCOMCTL.OCX to see if you have it. If not you can download it from HERE

The file should be placed in your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. Or, if you are C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 if you are using WinXP.

Once it is there click START--> RUN and type "REGSVR32 MSCOMCTL.OCX" (No quotes) in the box.

That should fix the problem. "

The file is located in System32 folder ion my XP computers.

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/16/12 12:24 AM

THanks found that about an hour back >> going to try that later ... drag it into the proper spot

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/16/12 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: uptildawn
If you were recording direct to a PC, you wouldn't have much call for VSWE, would you?

Yeah it would take too many brain cells -- tracking on my PC... Just this little incident > turns me away .. plus to get the automated /recall faders & lots of knobs like the VS >> would be so expensive .

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/16/12 07:33 AM

Originally Posted By: C Jo Go*Crystal Studios*
THanks found that about an hour back >> going to try that later ... drag it into the proper spot

Curious to know if you got it working yet.

JazAddict
(Planeteer)
05/16/12 12:04 PM

I had it working in W7 64 bit....

Might also require some compatibility settings (run as admin, XP SP3 mode or some such nonsense) Its worth dickin' around to get it working. Lemme know if I can help.

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/16/12 08:47 PM

Curious to know if you got it working yet.

Not fully yet ~~~ followed every path >> dropped the file into SYstem32 folder >> did the RUN command ... it registered ~!!

Just the VS WAVE Export will not open > just flashes for a milsec ?? I will restart a dozen times > should come around

Hey, tomorrows another day ,, been without for many years > it will happen by osmosis , eventually :-)

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/16/12 11:24 PM

Just took the PC in for its yearly checkup--updates.......6 years old and virus free from the first day ( since its never connected to the Net around here ) SO : I could take it back over to the helpful boys at Staples xxx

thanks for all your help

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
05/17/12 11:24 AM

... Just the VS WAVE Export will not open > just flashes for a milsec ?? I will restart a dozen times > should come around...

That happened to me once.... but I don't recall at all what the cause was anymore. Odd stuff.

You should be able to double-click the "VS Wave Export.exe" file and it should open up the program without any hesitation, or weirdness. You don't need to have a CD loaded in the tray, or the scsi hard drive hooked up to the PC, or any such thing to open the VSWE program, you know, right?

You can even open it from inside the compressed (zipped) download folder, without extracting it first (although I don't know if it actually works from the compressed folder).

Where did you unzip the program? Maybe try another location? Maybe try re-installing it now that you've got that one file in its proper location in the system32 folder?... not that there's much to install. Just throwing out some ideas.

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/12 11:06 AM

The original came from Bear :: but, I have downloaded the file several times now myself :: will give a try this afternoon.

Probably had complications due to the missing MSCOMCTL.OCX & never really unzipped the program before now ( just installed ZIP & WINRAR programs ) this PC primarily runs Photoshop

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/12 09:33 PM

Software installed ~! Never give up > just load again every few hours or a day ...finally finds its way into its spot in WINdows ..:-)

Now to connect the external HD -- scsi it up and will see if the VS files make their way in the PC >>

Tried loading files ( it was Floppies back then ) in the 880, > WIN fried everything on our FD :0

thanks everyone -- moving closer to the 21st Century > a pseudo Luddite :: never a fear ~only misinformation :-)

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/21/12 09:06 PM

after all this >> finally ~~ http://www.virdis2.com/latestnews.html

Zed Leppelin
(Planeteer)
06/01/12 01:18 PM

Hey Joe,
How are things?
I'll give you a call sometime in the near future.

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
06/01/12 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Zed Leppelin
Hey Joe,
How are things?
I'll give you a call sometime in the near future.

Still recording with the VS -- just hanging out -- waiting for the VIRDIS latest version --- You probably already wrote the code and produced your own "box" :-)

Elroy
(Space Cadet)
06/17/12 11:05 AM

Any way to take wave files from 2480 to Mac? I am using the presonus Studio one on my MacBook.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/17/12 04:27 PM

wav files should be easily readable on a mac. just use the wav export feature of the 2480 to burn them to disc and import them onto your mac from the cd.

Elroy
(Space Cadet)
07/30/12 02:00 PM

I have had no problem with the wave files other than when loading to the mac program it is a read only file and will not allow me to save in the mac program. Is there a way to copy rather than read only?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
07/30/12 04:46 PM

There must be something else going on that I don't understand.
Is it possible that you are not fully copying the .wav files from your CD, but are instead only creating links to the CD files?

I use Sound Forge on a PC to actually extract CD tracks to the computer hard drive to avoid this problem. Maybe your problem is similar?... Or maybe someone else will have a better insight and answer for you.

Elroy
(Space Cadet)
07/30/12 08:23 PM

Thanks for your input, will try again. I am using Presonus Studio one on my mac. I will look a little closer to the wave import procedure in Studio one.

From the Roland I used the track export in the mastering room drop menu on my 2480cd . When I import the wave files to the mac I can work on the song tracks only with the cd wave files actually running. Studio one saves all the mixing and effects settings with out the data.

Will post the results after I try again.

Poodaddy
(Space Cadet)
08/30/12 08:49 AM

Hello everyone, I hear ppl say burn to CD then to input to PC (Mac or PC). Is there another way to do this process, like, if a usb connector with a midi in/out on the other in to be use instead of burning to a CD?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
08/30/12 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Poodaddy
Hello everyone, I hear ppl say burn to CD then to input to PC (Mac or PC). Is there another way to do this process, like, if a usb connector with a midi in/out on the other in to be use instead of burning to a CD?

The idea is to get VS backups to the PC, so only methods that create VS backup format is useable... that means, backup CD, backup to CF or SD card through the proper SCSI adapter set-up, or VirDis direct to PC.

There is no way to output and create VS backups through a midi connection that I am aware of. Midi in the VS world is used for control messages and operating system updates.

dar44
(Space Cadet)
09/03/12 06:40 PM

can`t connect to the goodlibrary.com.website down?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
09/03/12 07:49 PM

This link that I keep bookmarked still works for me.

I can't seem to get there from a google search howeveer.

MJL
(Space Cadet)
09/09/12 12:35 PM

It's been a long time since I've been on this forum. This Export tool is exactly what I've been looking for. My CD drive is F. I created a desktop folder named "Rip Folder" and put the path to that folder in the quotes in the 'command line'. When I hit the any-key I get an error message "No created song folders found"

What do I do?

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
09/09/12 01:21 PM

If youhave a VS2480CD with the built in CD then you can replace it with a DVD burner, Pansonic?matshita UJ-870 DVD combo burner off ebay appx $60 to $80. Here's the guy I buy from...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-VS-2480CD...=item2a0f2359bb
How to do this PDF here...
http://www.rolandvs2480.net/VS2480CD%20t...a%202480DVD.htm

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
09/09/12 01:49 PM

I may have mentioned this before, but it seems to be that there is a problem with creating a destination folder to your desktop. Try creating a folder on your drive that isn't stored in the desktop folder.

Update:

Hmmmm, well I just confirmed to myself that the Ripper will indeed rip a backup to a desktop folder, at least when operated through VSWaveExport. Also, VSWE exports .wav files to the desktop as well.

MJL
(Space Cadet)
09/09/12 02:19 PM

I created a folder directly on the C drive, and used that as a destination folder. I used that path in the "Export to" and command line places and got the same messages. I then created folders with the song names in the destination file and still got the same error message.

Any other suggestions?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
09/09/12 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: MJL
It's been a long time since I've been on this forum. This Export tool is exactly what I've been looking for. My CD drive is F. I created a desktop folder named "Rip Folder" and put the path to that folder in the quotes in the 'command line'. When I hit the any-key I get an error message "No created song folders found"

What do I do?

Checking further on my own system..

You won't get the "any-key" followed by "No created song folders found" messages unless something was wrong that stopped the ripper from doing its job.

When the ripper works right, the info you should see begins with
something like "Drive Type Is Recognized As CDROM/DVD", or to that affect and then follow with something like what you see in the image below, plus you should see it indicate a bunch of "Takes" in the list it generates. It will still ask you to press any key when finished, but won't give you the error message in return.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
09/09/12 02:30 PM

Is it possible that your VS Songs were not recorded in one of the supported recording modes?
I know that the ripper does not support LIV mode, for one.

MJL
(Space Cadet)
09/09/12 03:55 PM

The songs were archived as a Backup CD. Here is a screenshot of the window that I get. I just now noticed what it was actually saying. EDIT: How do you get a JPG to post?

bear
(Planeteer)
09/09/12 04:22 PM

You have to store the image to a hosting site (like photobucket or something then post the link here

email me the jpg of the screen shot of what you get (look in profile for email addy) and I will look at it

LakeStone Karl
(Planeteer)
09/09/12 05:35 PM

Hey there, bear.....

Now that we have this slick wave extracting utility.....

Ever consider a Wave Packing utility?

MJL
(Space Cadet)
09/09/12 06:47 PM

Email Sent, bear.

bear
(Planeteer)
09/09/12 07:39 PM

I do not see any email from you MJL.. are you sure you got the addy correct?

Hey there, bear.....

Now that we have this slick wave extracting utility.....

Ever consider a Wave Packing utility?

It's a tough problem on a couple of levels. First getting it back into RDAC, then altering the eventlist file to put it on the timeline.

Given that you can use wav import on the 2480, probably just going to have to leave it at that.

MJL
(Space Cadet)
09/09/12 08:13 PM

I copied and pasted it from your profile

MJL
(Space Cadet)
09/09/12 10:13 PM

'cd2roland' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Press any key to continue. . .

bear
(Planeteer)
09/09/12 11:24 PM

Still do not see any email from you ... my profile has correct email so I do not know what to tell you.

The message you are seeing means the cd2roland.exe file is not being found. It must be in the same directory as the Vs Wave Export.exe file (and the ExeStub.exe and the RDAC.dll files).

All these should extract from the .zip file.

MJL
(Space Cadet)
09/10/12 12:48 AM

My antivirus program, Avast Free, was seeing the dc2roland.exe file as malware and putting it in their virus chest. I'll have to get that issue resolve. To file a false positive report they are asking for: Program Name, Program Publisher, Program Version. For the "program name" do I Just use the cd2roland.exe? What about publisher and version?
I turned of my virus sheilds and the program ran. and extracted to VRI files. I'll deal with that in the morning. It would be soooo sweeeeeet if I could get this wonderful program to work. thank you for you help. I still don't know what happened to the email.

MJL
(Space Cadet)
09/10/12 12:53 AM

Ok, My ignorance is amazing. Do I have to purchase VirDIS software?

Or Hardware? if so, Where do I get it?

bear
(Planeteer)
09/10/12 01:41 AM

No you do not have to purchase anything (although VirDis is a way cool thing, it is totally something different)

A few others have reported the virus warning - I do not know what is going on with that - I do not have control over what is on the download site.

If you can get a email to me, I will answer it with a version of CD2ROLAND.EXE attached I KNOW is totally clean.

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
09/10/12 12:51 PM

You need to enter the CD2Roland.exe as an "exception" with your Antivirus if possible.

MJL
(Space Cadet)
09/10/12 01:08 PM

In my post above I stated that I tried to do that but that I needed specific information in order for the report to go through.

"Program Name (cd2roland.exe) Program Publisher ( ? ) Program Version ( ? )"

bear, I've tried to send another email. I have no idea what going on with that, either.

How do I convert the VR1 files to WAV files?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
09/10/12 02:25 PM

VSWE should show you the song title in its list box after the song is ripped (assuming you're using VSWE to do all this.

Highlight the song of choice and VSWE should show you which tracks and virtual tracks data can be found in the matrix next to the list.

Click on each track that contains data you wish to extract/convert to a .wav file, or choose all tracks.

Be sure to indicate a destination for the extracted .wav files in the Export To field.

Then click on Export.

You should then see VSWE extract files and indicate how many when finished.
Then, simply look in the destination folder to find the .wav files.

Hope that helps. I'm not at a machine where I can check all the steps at the moment.

bear
(Planeteer)
09/10/12 02:30 PM

PM me with your email addy and I will send you email with cd2roland version I KNOW is clean

MJL
(Space Cadet)
09/11/12 05:59 PM

bear. thank you for the "clean" file. I got everything working and I'm ending up with .WAV files. This is SO COOL! Thank You once again.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
09/11/12 07:06 PM

Weird... I've never had a problem with downloading "unclean" VSWE files... They've always been fine.

bear
(Planeteer)
09/11/12 08:28 PM

Several people have reported that the download from Danielos site is reporting a virus in the cd2roland.exe, only from Avast as far as I know...

I don't know... there is certainly no virus in the program put there by me... my version on my machine checks clean on every check I do online.

Anybody is welcome to email me and I will return with attach of my totally known clean version

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
09/11/12 11:12 PM

I'm pretty sure it must be false positives in Avast.... that seemes to be a common denominator, IIRC.

BrianJ
(Planeteer)
09/21/12 12:45 AM

Hey guys! I've tried a project backup...I get all the way to the part where I'm supposed to drag and drop the SONG.VR1 file into the vswaveexport window...when I go to drop it it just shows a circle with a line through it...it won't let me drop the SONG.VR1 file there...what can be the cause???

Brian

daddyody
(Space Cadet)
01/29/13 12:59 PM

OK - I'm admitting up front that I'm a total newbie when it comes to doing anything with the 2480 that involves exporting tracks...

I have a new client who insists on doing his editing on pro-tools but records live with a VS2480 - will the VirDIS make this possible?

Be gentle - it's my first time!

bear
(Planeteer)
01/29/13 02:43 PM

Yes VirDis along with VSWE or the reaper will make this possible.

You can also do it without VirDis if you just have the project as a backup on a CD

TreeDragon7
(Planeteer)
02/01/13 01:15 AM

im trying to run vswe and the other standalone one with windows 7 and all it does is blip or say cannot find . . .zip file.

i really want to use this awesome program

what can be done ?

TreeDragon7
(Planeteer)
02/01/13 01:21 AM

i seem to remember seeing a rectangle box with black square dots representing v tracks . what prog is this ? virdis ? the export prog itself ?

its been awhile

Fersnachi
(Space Cadet)
02/09/13 12:26 PM

Hello all!

First time using a 2480. And after reading up it seems that my best option for getting the Wav files to my PC would be the vswe program.

Unfortunately the link to download this program is offline and it seems to be the only place to get it.

Is there anybody that could send me a copy? I would really like the start editing.

bear
(Planeteer)
02/09/13 01:53 PM

Email me and I will send you the package (look in profile for address)

VS_Dood
(Space Cadet)
02/09/13 07:45 PM

Help from the community would be greatly appreciated!!!

So I'm getting ready to export large number of VS2480 files from about 7 removed internal hard drives. I would like to use the VSWavExport app to get all of these files into wave files to import into Logic Pro 9. I've been successful using Track Export from the VS2480 to CD and then importing into my computer from the disc. Problem is, this could take me years to do because it takes me about 45 minutes per 4minute 16 track song.

Anyways, I'm sure you already know what I'm trying to do here. However, I don't own a PC (only Macs) and understand the software is for PC only. My question to any member that can help me is "Can I use Parallels with Windows on my Mac with a ATA IDE to USB adapter cable connecting my Mac to the VS drives to extract the files with the VSWaveExport app?

*AND what is the best Windows version (32 bit or 64 bit Windows XP, 7, or 8) for compatibility? I'm on a newer Intel Mac running OS Mountain Lion.

Thank you very much in advance for your replies!

bear
(Planeteer)
02/10/13 03:00 AM

I put the VSWE bundle on yousendit

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UW13N3RaY3lEbUxMYnNUQw

Link should be good for a few days

VS_Dood - I am PRETTY sure it works under parallels... I have run it on XP under bootcamp. Try it, it will quickly become obvious one way or the other - I am pretty sure it will work on either 32 or 64 bit windows - you may need to run under some compatibility mode.

Again, try it... you do not have anything to lose.

VS_Dood
(Space Cadet)
02/10/13 08:18 AM

Thanks Bear! I'm gearing up for this transfer and am in the process of purchasing the Parallels and Windows software. I really appreciate your help...

VS_Dood
(Space Cadet)
02/10/13 11:51 PM

Is VSWavExport compatible with Windows 7? Since I'm starting with a clean install of Windows, I'd like to know if I should buy Windows 7 or XP to use for exporting VS2480 hard drive files to wave files on my computer.

Thanks again to Bear for the download.

Peace,

VS_Dood
(Space Cadet)
02/11/13 08:50 AM

Also, any idea if Windows 8 is compatible with VsWaveExport?

Thanks in advance,

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/14/13 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: VS_Dood
Help from the community would be greatly appreciated!!!

So I'm getting ready to export large number of VS2480 files from about 7 removed internal hard drives. I would like to use the VSWavExport app to get all of these files into wave files to import into Logic Pro 9. I've been successful using Track Export from the VS2480 to CD and then importing into my computer from the disc. Problem is, this could take me years to do because it takes me about 45 minutes per 4minute 16 track song.

VS DOOD let us know how the process goes. We to have about 7 drives we would like to transfer

VS_Dood
(Space Cadet)
02/20/13 12:06 PM

hey C Jo Go*Crystal Studios*,

Just to follow up, I ended up purchasing a used Windows XP laptop with a fresh install of XP Pro service pack 3 off eBay instead of installing Parallels and Windows on my Mac. I only paid about $75 for it and it works great for the task of the running VS Wave Export software.

I ran into the initial issue of the missing MSCOMCTL.OCX file, but there is alot of info on how to fix this. Once fixed, I was able to directly connect my removed VS internal hard drives via a 3.5 IDE to USB cable with power supply and very quickly export the wave files from each project to an external hard drive formatted to NTFS. When the file transfer was complete, I was able to unplug the external NTFS hard drive from the PC and plug it into my Mac successfully. I was able to then import these wave tracks into Logic Pro and work with the raw tracks from there.

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome! And best of all Super Fast!!!!!!

This saved me months if not years of time considering I have about 7 full VS hardrives of tracks that I have recorded over the last 10 years. As an early adopter of the VS-2480, I am extremely happy to have all of these tracks in a modern day format now.

Hope this helps, and again ***THANKS TO BEAR*** for your help!!!

Very happy now,

VS_Dood

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/20/13 01:06 PM

That's always so great to hear!

TreeDragon7
(Planeteer)
03/12/13 06:44 AM

i think jazz said the export program works with mtp 48k . is this right? it would help all the people that couldnt burn cd's due to 48k projects. bear, or anyone ?

miacom
(Space Cadet)
03/19/13 08:11 AM

Can anyone help me with getting the demo songs, or the CD that came with the VS2480CD. The CD is no longer available from Roland, and I had no luck locating it online.
The names are:
1. What you don't know
2. Don't stop
Thanx
miacom

wjgypsy
(Planeteer)
06/21/13 05:05 PM

Do you still need that CD, miacom? I have mine, PM me and I'll see if I can't get it to you through snail mail.

wjgypsy
(Planeteer)
06/21/13 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Randyman...
Works fine as mentioned above ;\)

Download this:
http://www.thegoodlibrary.com/VSWE/VSWE1.24a.zip

and replace the CD2Roland in that folder with this one (v.022):
http://www.ps139.com/vs880ex/util/Cd2Rol022.zip

I think I ran it as Administrator - but it worked fine in W7-64 and XP SP3...

VS wave export is awesome!!!! Couldn't get it to work on my lap top though, the wav encoding was coming out lo-fi, hissy or didn't exist at all...installed it on my desktop (which is more up to date) and followed randyman's instructions on replacing the CD ripper file. Also I had to change "D" to "E", the letter of my DVD drive, this may solve the problem for some folks!

Thanks for keeping this awesome thread/forum alive

Innerclock
(Space Cadet)
08/28/13 04:16 AM

Hi all - sorry for the dumb/noob question - just tried downloading VSWE from Good Library and my AVG Virus locks me out from extracting and reports a Trojan - is that for real? If so does anyone have a link to a clean download? Many Thanks in advance - David

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
08/28/13 08:39 AM

Pretty certain that your AVG is false-reporting that one... it's been especially the case with avg in reported posts here. If you're uncertain (sing the good library has been up and down and up and down a lot lately), I could send you a package of the three progs that Bear sent to me and others a while ago, if you'll PM an email to me... don't post your email in this thread, please. Click on my username to send me a PM instead.

Or, maybe Bear will see this and offer to send to you, or you could try scanning the files with a different anti-virus, or just trust that it's okay... whichever you want to do. I've not had any issues with the files as many times as I've downloaded them over the last five years, or so.

bear
(Planeteer)
08/28/13 09:16 AM

I do not trust the files on the download sites anymore - and the goodlibrary site seems to come and go.

Email me and I will send you the file package.

Innerclock
(Space Cadet)
08/28/13 05:03 PM

Thanks Bear!!! Email sent - regards - David

bear
(Planeteer)
08/28/13 06:22 PM

Do not see any email

Here - I just put it on Yousendit...

link should be good for a few days

https://www.hightail.com/download/bWJwZGlvQTYwVWxESjlVag

Innerclock
(Space Cadet)
08/29/13 02:37 AM

Perfect ! Thank You!

cp1
(Planeteer)
09/19/13 11:18 PM

Just curious.This works great by the way but I am wondering about if there is a way to reverse this.... Is there any program that you can take and setup to put files "INTO" the VS-2480? Sorry if this is a noob question and I think I may have already figured the ansewr now that I have thought about it while writing this but here is my delema. My buddy sent me a song he did with 17 tracks, all as mp3's.....Is there a way to get all of them into a project without needing to import each track?

Danielo
(Planeteer)
10/09/13 03:40 AM

Hi folks! Just chiming in here for the very first time since years and i thought i need to thank everyone here for helping each other with the VSWE software. Even though i have moved away from the VS since quite a while and the box is collecting dust (of course in a secure case ;\) in a corner i need to say: You are a great community!
Very special thanks go out to bear not only for his cd ripper but especially for his continuous support!!!

all the best.

JMiker
(Planeteer)
11/06/13 11:27 AM

Just for the record the VSWavExport is compatible with Win 7 64 bit.

bingo
(Space Cadet)
11/15/13 07:44 AM

Hi Guys - I am trying to open the good library link and am not able to get it open. I have tried in Firefox as well as Internet Explorer. Any clues?

keeppracticing
(Planeteer)
11/15/13 08:16 AM

send me your email address via pm, i will send it to you

bingo
(Space Cadet)
11/15/13 10:00 AM

Howdy and thanks for reaching out. I managed to get it downloaded on another computer (windows 7) but now when i load in my data i get "no created song folders found". what next?

munsick@fiberpipe.net

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
11/18/13 09:37 PM

After VSWE is used to extract the wave files and the files are modified for example in Sonar, can VSWE be used to import the wave files back into the HDD project file?

bear
(Planeteer)
11/18/13 09:49 PM

No you cannot import into the VS with VSWE - you must use the internal wav import function on the VS.

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
11/18/13 09:58 PM

So to say another way: I cannot use VSWE to import wave files back into the HDD project file?

VSWE only exports wave files?

Wouldn't it be nice to have an VSWE import?
Guess there are many pointers and references in the HDD project that would be broken is why it can't be done.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
11/18/13 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveDWalker
..Wouldn't it be nice to have an VSWE import?
Guess there are many pointers and references in the HDD project that would be broken is why it can't be done.

Bill Casey had told me a couple of times that importing a wave file extracted from a VS song and edited in a pc daw was possible through VirDis, but this is something beyond my own ability to test and learn, since my 1680 doesn't have wav export and import functions, as the 2480 has.

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
11/18/13 10:18 PM

uptildawn, thanks that sharing this info from Bill Casey.
Of course it is clear that having the IMPORT working in this way completes the VSWE experience bi-directionally.

SteveDWalker
(Planeteer)
11/18/13 10:23 PM

uptildawn, I apologize for my persistence for the VirDis-2 Standalone unit but who wouldn't want this?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
11/19/13 09:03 AM

Yeah, I know...... it's a long time coming.

punkerg
(Planeteer)
12/14/13 12:17 PM

Has anyone used wave export with windows 8.1? Im having some issues......

punkerg
(Planeteer)
12/14/13 12:31 PM

run-time error '53'
file not found RDAC.dll

Socket
(Space Cadet)
01/11/14 10:50 PM

I'm new to the RDAC to .wav conversion thread. I have a lot of old (VS2480 created) backup DVDs of unmixed projects. I'd like to have a way of mixing these if my 2480 ever craps out. What app(s) would the community recommend for converting Vtracks to wav files using a Windows 7 64-bit PC? I don't think I need VirDIS since everything is already on DVDs.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 12:12 AM

It isn't a matter of what apps people recommend..... there are only a handful and nearly all of them depend on at least one of the others to fully give you what you're asking for.

VSWaveExport - extracts wave file format tracks from VS Song files

CD2Roland - a VS backup format ripper that rips the VS Songs off of discs (is it CD-R/RW only?.... or does it do DVD-R/RW also?... I don't know, but Bear should) and makes them available to Reaper software DAW and VSWaveExport (in which the ripper is now included as an extra tool)

the Reaper plug-in .dll (sorry, don't remember the name anymore) - a special plug-in that installs to Reaper software DAW and allows Reaper to open VS Song tracks and place them into track/channels to be manipulated as you would with any audio track from within the program. You can also render these tracks to wave file format to use in other DAWs.

VirDis - the virtual equivalent of an external SCSI device stored on a PC hard drive. The VS hooks up directly to a PC SCSI card (eventually, a USB version is expected) and sees the virtual files set up in VirDis as real external hard drives and/or burners. Also includes VSWaveExport (and of course the ripper by default) for extracting wave files from the VirDis virtual drives....

It may not currently be able to, but I seem to remember talk of it being able to access VS backup discs off the PCs burner.... maybe that is wishful thinking on my part, or maybe it's in the works, or maybe it's already a reality and I just haven't kept up.

These are the only four tools available to do what you are asking. Your other choice would be to reload the projects onto the VS and either use wave export to disc and then to PC, or re-record to the PC in realtime.

Socket
(Space Cadet)
01/25/14 02:29 AM

Thanks uptildawn. That is a nice summary of what's out there. I think VSWaveExport will cover what I want. I'll check with Bear.

bear
(Planeteer)
01/25/14 10:00 AM

The CD2ROLAND ripper will work with DVD - as long as the total file size on the disc is smaller than a 32 bit number (about 4.2gig). A TOTALLY full DVD can hold just a little over this, so if the DVD is FULL to the brim it cannot be ripped.

There is a version of the ripper using 64bit numbers, but no use messing with it unless you really can't do it with the normal version

Zoidypoo
(Space Cadet)
02/23/14 10:52 PM

Hi,
I can only see 4 partitions on the wave export software after connecting my VS 2480CD Hard Drive to my PC via an IDE to USB converter. The PC is running Windows 7.
How can I access the other partitions?
There should be 8 on this drive, an 80GB Hard Drive.
Other than that, the software is incredible!
Any help much appreciated, arigatou!

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/24/14 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Zoidypoo
Hi,
I can only see 4 partitions on the wave export software after connecting my VS 2480CD Hard Drive to my PC via an IDE to USB converter. The PC is running Windows 7.
How can I access the other partitions?
There should be 8 on this drive, an 80GB Hard Drive.
Other than that, the software is incredible!
Any help much appreciated, arigatou!

Look in the "Extras" menu for "Shuffle Partitions" (Ctrl+S).
That should do it for you. If not, I'm sure someone else will have the answer for you.

Zoidypoo
(Space Cadet)
02/25/14 01:15 AM

when I do that it asks me to select a drive...but I can't. When I select the partitions and try to shuffle I get the same message: Select a drive

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/25/14 08:21 AM

There is a software package especially designed for shuffling partitions for the 2480 I happened to have a copy of in my downloads folder, but I've never had the need to use it. You might see if it works for you.
The download for this free software can be found at the bottom of the page, here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm
It is a DOS program. You could always try writing to the company for assistance, if it doesn't seem to work for you.

The following is from their ReadMe text file:

This special purpose utility was developed for Roland VS2480 Digital Audio
Workstation users who wanted a way to access the partitions from another
Operating System.

It enables a user to choose which partitions should be visible when the
OS is booted.

It is for use under DOS, Win9x, WinME. The program will NOT work under
Win NT/2K/XP (Although you could boot those OS's to access the partitions).

To Use
~~~~~~

Run the program followed by the drive number (starting at zero) that is
the Roland drive.

For example, if the second hard drive contained the drive from the Roland
workstation then you would run it as: roland 1

Once the program is running you select which partitions should be visible
on the NEXT REBOOT by using the F1, F2, F3 and F4 keys.

Before you return the drive to the Roland workstation you should use F6.

To save changes press F10.

To exit without saving changes press the escape key.

mezzamorphis
(Planeteer)
03/06/14 09:10 AM

I'm having the same exact problem as you currently, Zoidypoo... 2480hd HD hooked up to my PC (running windows 7) via IDE to USB converter. Only 4 partitions show up. Disk Manager shows the space as unallocated.

I know that the data is there and that the hd is fine. I just finished recording on the 2480 and pulled the hd out.

I'm about to pull out my dusty old computer tower with windows xp and see if they show up.

It would be great if you and I could get this figured out for ourselves. Looks like you were just dealing with this a week ago.

RRR
(Space Cadet)
03/18/14 06:59 PM

does anyone still have a copy of vswaveexport?

kitesurfer
(Space Cadet)
03/26/14 05:40 PM

This link will get you there
http://www.thegoodlibrary.com:8611/VSWaveExport.html

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/26/14 07:27 PM

Did you try that link yourself to confirm it's still good?
It's not working here.

bear
(Planeteer)
03/27/14 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: RRR
does anyone still have a copy of vswaveexport?

Email me and I will send you a copy

Rmoores
(Space Cadet)
07/12/14 09:33 AM

Hi,

Had a power failure whilst doing a recording in LIV mode. Is there a way of rescuing the recording, VSwavExport 1.24 say that it can't do anything but MTP, MT1 etc is there away around it?

Secondly on one of the partitions - which i suspect is the one with the recording on - I get "Failed to Read Directory Entries 424: object required"

Any help much appreciated.

Innerclock
(Space Cadet)
08/28/14 11:54 AM

Hi All - any recent update to this process - I have a bunch of VS-2480 DVD Backup Discs that I would love to recover/convert to WAV format - can this be done easily? Regards - David

bear
(Planeteer)
08/28/14 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Innerclock
Hi All - any recent update to this process - I have a bunch of VS-2480 DVD Backup Discs that I would love to recover/convert to WAV format - can this be done easily? Regards - David

Easy is in the eyes of the beholder...

PM me and I will give you a link to the known good VSWE package

bear
(Planeteer)
08/28/14 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Rmoores
Hi,

Had a power failure whilst doing a recording in LIV mode. Is there a way of rescuing the recording, VSwavExport 1.24 say that it can't do anything but MTP, MT1 etc is there away around it?

Sorry, no support for LIV modes

Innerclock
(Space Cadet)
08/31/14 05:41 PM

Hi Bear - PM sent \:\)

bear
(Planeteer)
08/31/14 09:01 PM

?... see no Pm

Innerclock
(Space Cadet)
09/02/14 03:14 AM

Just sent another:)

woofshop
(Planeteer)
11/17/14 09:35 PM

cannot access thegoodlibrary.com to download the vs wave export program that is very much needed. I have a project that was backed up from my old 2480 that i no longer have. I now use Logic Pro X with Roland Octa-Capture. Any body have any other ideas to recover my missing project? Thanks

Holy_Fire
(Space Cadet)
12/20/14 03:21 PM

don't know if this is any good at all, but it is probably better than nothing -- new and first post to this site, so enjoy -- here it is:
 Code:
http://www.ps139.com/vs880ex/util/VSWE1.24a.zip

Wicked
(Space Cadet)
01/28/15 03:18 AM

Is it necessary to buy the Virdis package in order to send your WAV's to a computer quickly?

Virdis is pretty expensive on Ebay!

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
01/28/15 07:54 AM

Is it pretty expensive to move your .wav files to a computer much easier and faster than it is by burning multiple discs of .wav files on the VS and then moving them to the PC that way, if after all these years it is the only method other than using the VS routine?

bear
(Planeteer)
01/28/15 09:11 AM

If you have a cd burner to make backup cds, you can use the ripper and either VSWE or reaper to do the same thing. VIRDIS eliminates the need to burn CDs with backups, which is real handy, but it is not necessary.

Or you can do it through an SCSI hard-drive setup.

Wicked
(Space Cadet)
01/28/15 06:49 PM

Is it pretty expensive to move your .wav files to a computer much easier and faster than it is by burning multiple discs of .wav files on the VS and then moving them to the PC that way, if after all these years it is the only method other than using the VS routine?

At this point in time it's definitely not worth it for me.

Wicked
(Space Cadet)
01/28/15 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bear
If you have a cd burner to make backup cds, you can use the ripper and either VSWE or reaper to do the same thing. VIRDIS eliminates the need to burn CDs with backups, which is real handy, but it is not necessary.

So without Virdis or the SCSI hard-drive setup the tracks from the Roland can only be exported using a CD burner or DVD burner?

I use a CD-RW and sometimes a CD-R for exporting right now. I don't need VSWE or any software to transfer files because once I've burned the CD-RW I have no problem just putting it in the computer's CD drive, then dragging and dropping the files. It's a much slower process than the other standalone recorders that I own but I'm not complaining too much.

Dave_
(Planeteer)
09/20/15 04:16 PM

I'm getting an error when I try to follow the download link. Tried both Firefox and IE, so probably not a browser issue.

Anyone know if it's off the rails now?

I should have downloaded this a long time ago \:\(

bear
(Planeteer)
09/20/15 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Wicked

So without Virdis or the SCSI hard-drive setup the tracks from the Roland can only be exported using a CD burner or DVD burner?

I use a CD-RW and sometimes a CD-R for exporting right now. I don't need VSWE or any software to transfer files because once I've burned the CD-RW I have no problem just putting it in the computer's CD drive, then dragging and dropping the files. It's a much slower process than the other standalone recorders that I own but I'm not complaining too much.

Much much quicker and easier to do it on a project backup with VSWE and get all takes at once in perfect time alignment

Breath of Dog
(Planeteer)
10/06/15 06:23 PM

Can I please get the link to the VS Wave Export app?
I just read that it is available but not at the original site.
Thanks, Ray

Dave_
(Planeteer)
10/09/15 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Breath of Dog
Can I please get the link to the VS Wave Export app?
I just read that it is available but not at the original site.
Thanks, Ray

Yeah. Me, too.

bear
(Planeteer)
10/09/15 05:37 PM

Check PM

people who want a download link should PM me - I might not see posts here...

virtuous
(Space Cadet)
02/29/16 04:45 PM

hey Dudes, whats up??? Been awhile since someone has posted here huh? Anyway, I am having some problems with large file sizes. I did this project on the 2480 that was just huge , and I had to back it up on two Dvds using the Roland! What is the best way to get some of these file onto the computer. Does anyone have a link to the 64 bit version of the ripper? Also, I tried the Reaper thing and it tried to import everything and I was not successful at importing just the tracks I wanted. Does anyone have any useful tips for me or am I just screwed?

keeppracticing
(Planeteer)
02/29/16 05:15 PM

Break your songs up into individual projects, then re-save them to dvd, VSWE will work fine.

bear
(Planeteer)
02/29/16 05:18 PM

I have never tried a project that was so big it spanned two dvd... that is one large project -

In general - I have never had good luck ripping projects that span multiple discs from the shell out of VSWE - it has only worked for me from the command line direct execution of the ripper - Always rip the discs in order, and from the same file folder - if it works properly it will create the song folder from the first disc, and then add the additional take files from the second in the same folder.

I have no idea how it will act with multiple dvd though.

I do have an experimental version of the ripper that uses 64 bit pointers allowing memory access above 4.29gig - a totally full dvd will be a bit bigger than the 32 bit pointer wll allow. PM me your email and I will send it to you - no guarantees it will do anything reasonable though... try it and see, no harm in trying.

I will have to dig around a bit in some old backups to find this file... it may take me a bit.

virtuous
(Space Cadet)
03/03/16 03:02 PM

The project is astoundingly large...23 tracks and 20 songs long way over the 1 hour mark. Ghetto Blast. Anyway, How Do I break up the songs into individual projects If I need to go that route? Never done that, but it seems I may have to.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/03/16 03:47 PM

The 2480 reference manual has a section on Song Split.
This is a method I am familiar with through the 1680, so I don't know if there's more convenient methods in the 2480, but this could possibly work easily enough for you to turn the long project into numerous smaller ones.

Song Split works by separating out v-tracks (I assume across the entire timeline). This method can be used to split out v-track layers into separate new files, while still maintaining all of the relevant original project reference data - markers, automix, tempo maps, etc.

It can also work on long, multi-song timelines by simply pre-dividing portions of the long timeline into logical sections and moving those sections to their own v-tracks (across all relevant channels).

Read up on it and see if that will work for you, virtuous.
Maybe create a simple test project of a few long tracks first and try the process out on it to get the hang of it.

The process is not undoable, so you either need to have a backup of the original project (that you've verified can be reloaded), or you need to make a copy, or you need to be comfortable with the steps, so you aren't likely to screw anything up.

I've done similar Song Split operations on the 1680 and can almost assure you that the process is easy and works well.... just test it out first, okay?

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
03/03/16 05:54 PM

There is a way to use project split on projects, maybe some one else will chime in. Check the archives for "project Split.

One way to do this is to copy the long project of 20 songs 20 times, then open each copy and delete the 19 songs not needed, leaving one song per project.

I'm not sure if this will work with such a long project, you could run out of space. If you can copy it once, then delete 19 leaving song one, then repeat. I doubt you have room for 20 projects 20 songs long so copy them one at a time, delete all but song 1, then copy the 20 again and delete all but song 2 etc etc.

From my manual...
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
COPY SONG/PROJECT
If you want to copy a song to the same partition/drive so you can keep the original before region cutting a song to make it shorter or region copying a song to make it longer or deleting multiple songs do this.

Click on PROJECT> Project List> and in the Project List window click on the page button till you see 2/4 and “F1 COPY”. Now check mark the project/song or songs to copy. Now turn the JOG wheel to place the box around the drive/partition number to copy the song or songs too. *To copy to the same partition jog the box all the way up to IDE:0. To copy to another partition jog the box down to IDE:1 or etc.

Now click on “”F1 COPY” and the Project Copy window opens. On the left it shows the project/song to copy, below that what drive it’s on, then on the upper right, the drive to copy the song too and below that “Erase All Projects.” Make sure it is check marked “OFF.” *Unless you want to erase the destination drive clean.

Now press “F5 OK” and it asks “Copy to (your drive you selected?” click on “YES” and “Store Current?” answer “YES” or “NO” if you don’t need to store the current project that’s open. Now the progress bar comes up “Loading… and Copy Project.”

It’ll take a couple of minutes. When it’s done the windows disappear and the current project is still open. If you copied the song/project to the same partition you can go to Project> Project List> and scroll to the end of the list of songs and find it there. You can go to Project> Name> and rename the current project so you don’t get them mixed up. *To check a song on another drive you have to select that drive from the project list window.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If all you need are the songs mastered for burning to CD.
You could just master the songs one at a time then IMPORT the master tracks into an new empty project.
Open a new empty project then on the TRACK menu you'll find track import if I'm remembering properly. You can IMPORT them masters from other projects into the new one and burn them to disc. If that's the route you decide to go, run a new post and let others helps with this as well.

Hope this works.
Frank

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/03/16 08:39 PM

Project Split instructions can be found on page 101 of the "VS-2480 Reference Manual" pdf. I don't know if that the same page in the hard copy manual.

You do not need to make multiple copies of your original and erase all the unneeded tracks to perform Song Split - although you can certainly accomplish your possible need to split up your project in that manner, as Frank suggests.

I strongly suggest that you have at least ONE copy of your original project, just for safe keeping, if wanting to do the Song Split as outlined in the Roland manual.

The beauty of the official Song Split (as I see it) is that it allows a person to break up a long timeline multi-track recording by simply moving parts of the timeline to sets of v-tracks - then performing multiple song splits to the v-tracks and all from the same original copy. This avoids all the extra time needed to make multiple copies of the long/large project, possibly running out of hd space and does not require stripping out all the unneeded tracks from each copy.

Both Frank's method and the Roland one outlined in the manual are effective solutions for long and large projects - What works depends on your particulars - hd space, time, how many v-tracks are used up already, etc.

I just want to clarify that the two methods we've spoken of are not the same and one is not necessarily better than the other in every case.

JPS KID
(Planeteer)
03/17/16 01:12 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....The VS wav extractor worked really well and easy once I figured I had to add .zip to the name of the file. Once that little secret was discovered the rest was a breeze. I was able to get to the Original tracks of a song that was in limbo for 8 years. VS forum rocks with cool people. I have been using a Mac with Digital Performer for the last 8 years or so. It is awesome BUT the VS 2400 i had was still to this day the best all in one unit I ever owned. I wish I never sold it. Been looking at them on ebay ...it's tempting just for the Cosm Guitar alone
Thanks again brother and sisters

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/17/16 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: JPS KID
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....The VS wav extractor worked really well and easy once I figured I had to add .zip to the name of the file. Once that little secret was discovered the rest was a breeze...

At first I didn't quite get what you meant by this, but figured out that you were talking about the conversation in your original thread..... where Frank posted the link to the goodlibrary and the VSWE link - Glad to see that's up and running! - And after trying the VSWE download link, I see what you mean about the lack of the .zip file extension! I guess Windows decided that the .24a in the file name was the extension?... but like you say, add the .zip extension and the complete folder of files is revealed! They pass the virus scan on my pc, too....

Glad you got it all worked out - VSWE and bear's CD ripper are fantastic!

virtuous
(Space Cadet)
03/20/16 01:28 AM

I will check into the song split, it sounds like I may have to do that. I'm just trying to get the stem files. Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate it.

eggwheat
(Planeteer)
06/19/16 11:08 AM

Hi all, is this anything to do with my problem?
I tried to rip two separate projects backed up on one DVD (totally about 4.4gb). Looked like they ripped ok. Song 1 threw up loads of errors in VSWE during conversion..out of 54 wavs 48 were silent and 1k in size, 6 worked. Song 2 show no audio files in it at all in VSWE before you even try to convert.

im on windows XP 32 bit machine.

I have never tried a project that was so big it spanned two dvd... that is one large project -

In general - I have never had good luck ripping projects that span multiple discs from the shell out of VSWE - it has only worked for me from the command line direct execution of the ripper - Always rip the discs in order, and from the same file folder - if it works properly it will create the song folder from the first disc, and then add the additional take files from the second in the same folder.

I have no idea how it will act with multiple dvd though.

I do have an experimental version of the ripper that uses 64 bit pointers allowing memory access above 4.29gig - a totally full dvd will be a bit bigger than the 32 bit pointer wll allow. PM me your email and I will send it to you - no guarantees it will do anything reasonable though... try it and see, no harm in trying.

I will have to dig around a bit in some old backups to find this file... it may take me a bit.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/19/16 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: eggwheat
Hi all, is this anything to do with my problem?
I tried to rip two separate projects backed up on one DVD (totally about 4.4gb). Looked like they ripped ok. Song 1 threw up loads of errors in VSWE during conversion..out of 54 wavs 48 were silent and 1k in size, 6 worked. Song 2 show no audio files in it at all in VSWE before you even try to convert.

im on windows XP 32 bit machine.

This may have to do more with the way VSWE exports .wav files from the VS tracks, than a problem with bear's ripper. Although, if you did the rip through VSWE instead of by command line, then maybe you should PM bear and ask him about it.

Otherwise, if you had use the "All" button to conveniently export your tracks, try exporting one or two tracks at a time in VSWE and see if that doesn't cut down on the errors.

Lately, I've run into an issue with zero byte files and have found that I can fix that by re-exporting those tracks and overall, by selecting a few tracks to export at a time, instead of all at once.

eggwheat
(Planeteer)
06/19/16 03:15 PM

Hi, thanks..but no it's a problem with the ripper..the reason I got all the errors and problems is because it didn't rip the DVD correctly. Once ripped, in song 1 a lot of the files that start with the letters TK were missing, in song 2 they were all missing.

I fixed the problem by burning each project onto separate DVD's..not ideal as it wastes discs..but it worked.

Still i'd liked to know what is causing it exactly and if there is a fix.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/19/16 04:01 PM

glad you found a way around it. I'll have to remember that next time I run into errors.

Ptr
(Planeteer)
07/10/16 12:59 PM

Hello,

Latest file-versions I have are these:

VSWE 1.2.0.4 (2007-Nov-01)
RDAC.dll (2007-Oct-20)
Cd2Roland.exe (2010-Jan-04)
reaper_vs.dll 2006-Dec-14)

Can anybody please tell for which files newer versions exist ?

(Trying to get VSWE/Reaper working for the VSR-mode of my VSR-880)

Thanks!

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
07/10/16 03:04 PM

I have a CD2Roland that is dated Sept 02, 2011, but I don't know that it's a more recent version than yours. It may be one that bear sent to me at special request and that may just be the creation date of the file he sent...... I don't know exactly how all that works.

Everything else I have is dated the same as yours...... that later CD2Roland file is in the same folder, by the way.

You should consult with bear on this, really, since he is the "keeper" of these utilities. Try sending him a PM.

Also, note that in the 1.23a release notes for VSWE, it says the following:
Features:
.) supports MT1/MT2/MTP/M16/M24 formats
.) supports 2480, 2400, 1880, 1680, 880EX, 880VX, 880 and 890
.) supports direct harddisk access
.) supports VirDis: simply drag .bin or .hdd files into the list
.) supports files ripped from backup CDR/DVD: drag SONG files into the list
.) Partition Analysis function for data recovery
.) create self extracting RDAC files

Notice that the VSR880 is not among those VS units listed, nor is the VSR mode. If your other VSR880 modes are working, than maybe VSWE is not able to work with the VSR mode, as it is not with LIV and (evidently) MAS modes (although I've never tried with a MAS mode before).

Ptr
(Planeteer)
07/10/16 04:43 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply & for having a look at those versions, much appreciated!

> I have a CD2Roland that is dated Sept 02, 2011,

FWIW, the CD2Roland file I have is 1.335.860 bytes.

(I have PM'd Bear, but don't now how active he still is here)

Like you say, listed modes with the VSR-880 DO work with VSWE. I (only) tried a song with MT2 recording mode, and that worked perfectly.
Simply putting the SD-card (I'm using a 'converted' drive instead of the HDD) in an USB card reader makes those files being seen by VSWE, very nice.

The songs with VSR recording mode are understandibly listed as 'UKN' (unknown) though, which is according to the release notes for VSWE, like you also mentioned.

But I read about just a slight difference between MTP & VSR-modes though (thread http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1266752&fpart=1 #1247948 - 2013-10-03 21:53 Re: Vsr880/890 gurus: vsr mode 24bit why uses less space? )

In that thread there was a mentoning of VSWE v1.25, a beta, an exe 'derived' by forum member mutetourettes. I've also PM'd him, but no idea if he's still around.

In case anybody else has that v.125-beta available I'd be more than interested!

Thanks/best regards

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
07/10/16 05:42 PM

> FWIW, the CD2Roland file I have is 1.335.860 bytes.

Yes, I also have that one from Jan, 2010 - bear called it CD2Rol022 - up from a previous one he sent to me called CD2Rol018, IIRC. Also, one dated from June of 2010 - same size. The one from Sept is somewhat smaller... not by much.

The Reaper VS Plugin Version 0.991 readme.txt mentions that it supports the VSR mode, by the way. That's also shown as Dec 14, 2006, so must be the one you say you have.

I recall the thread you linked to, although I didn't remember the discussion about a v. 1.25 beta being developed.
I had recently emailed danny (the developer of the original) about VSWE issues I was experiencing and he informed me that he was no longer developing the program.

Ptr
(Planeteer)
07/10/16 06:15 PM

Thanks again for the response. And thanks for checking those versions/sizes. So I understand the latest CD2Roland-version you have is from Sept 2010? Sounds like differences are tiny/not that blocking w.r.t. functionality I figure ?

I can well imagine people are moving on to other gear and/or stop developing tools. What they did was already superb!

Yet there are those that keep on using, or in my case, kind of rediscover (say having two VSR-880 units at different locations is very convenient, just take along the drive. OK, don't need to tell you guys this ;-)

On topic:
I'm refreshing my understanding of all this again, (please correct me if I'm wrong here):

Method 1. [ relevant here: VSWE & RDAC.dll ]

I had hoped the easiest route would have worked: VSWE for VSR directly pulling the files from an USB-reader connected SD-card.
Fair enough, VSWE doesn't support that mode, as documented (unless v1.25 happens to do the trick, let's see if anyone reads this & has that version available)

Method 2. [ relevant here: Cd2Roland.exe & reaper_vs.dll ]

The alternative method will support VSR-mode, but is less easy w.r.t. getting the files inside a Win-laptop:
an intermediate step with a backup-CD required. In case a smart shortcut is possible here then I'm all ears, but if there's no free lunch here then can understand.
Cd2Roland will only operate on backup-files, correct?

Method 3.

I realize a less elegant but not necessarily slower route exists in the approach of simply doing a real-time transfer.
Happen to have a DIF-AT24, so can transfer 8 simult tracks by ADAT into a Desktop-PC (or get an USB 2.0 interface with ADAT input).
It takes more throughput-time, but less user-interaction/steps.

Thanks/best regards

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
07/10/16 08:52 PM

1- Good luck with that - hope there's something there.

2- I just tried the .bat file method with CD2Roland. I remembered how to change the drive letter in the .bat, but no go - It recognized that it wasn't a CD-ROM drive and wouldn't continue with the SD card I had. Maybe bear has a snifty alternative?

3- I used to transfer 8 analog tracks at one time from the 1680 to PC through an RME Multiface and PCI card, when I first started using the PC for recording. I never felt there was any great loss of quality going analog, but with the DIF, I guess there's a digital advantage there for you. It's not really very painful of a process - unless it's that painful to listen to your own work as you transfer in realtime. \:\)

Ptr
(Planeteer)
07/11/16 07:33 AM

Hi,

1. Was just kindly sent the 'custom' v1.25 file, will be trying!

2. Thanks for the info. Too bad it wasn't possible this way, but at least good to know.

3: So true, we're probably being a bit obsessed for doing digital transfers - the world doesn't end with an added D/A-->A/D.
Yet the idea of better safe than sorry (so having a digital transfer) and/or quick transfer is attractive. Ha, I hear what you say, hearing all goofs etc can be a bit of a pain indeed - I just turn down the volume & do some other stuff meanwhile. Having the tracks in the computer after that step, it's easy to select the relevant parts (& to ignore the less than perfect bits ;-) ).

Have a good day

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
07/11/16 10:51 AM

Hey! 1- Please let me (us) know the results of the 1.25 version!
Let us know any additional changes, if you can.

3- I just leave the room... \:\)

Ptr
(Planeteer)
07/12/16 05:05 PM

Hi,

Quick update:

As it happened we had a little recording session yesterday, so could put that v1.25 directly to the test. :-)

Looks like the v1.25 did the trick for VSR-files! Thanks to (fill in: fellow user that has meanwhile sold his VS-machine, but still kindly sent me the file - Please let me get in contact with him before he gets flooded with additional request. With his permission I'll kindly forward, please stay tuned)

Additional quick observations so far (was eager to try this version, but only able to do a quick check & transfer):

+ the transferred files are indeed 24 bit, and seem to be troublefree. Nice !

- I should have a closer look whether the full partition was shown & converted - thought something was missing, not sure, to be checked.

Bye

Ptr
(Planeteer)
07/15/16 06:15 AM

Hmmmmmm, bummer, ...

... after the succesfull transfer to PC with VSWE (using an USB-card reader for the SDHC-card), I re-inserted the card in the VSR-880 again, and it is no longer recognized: it offers to format it, and no other options.

I DID LOCK the SD-card with the slider, but somehow Windows (Win XP SP3 on that machine...) still manages to write something to the card, which is pretty disturbing. :-(

At least that's what I'm assuming that is the cause for the card no longer being recognized by the VSR-880.

I must say I might have done a right click / for properties / on that drive, but again, the slider was always in the LOCKed position.

Any alike experiences ?

Have a good weekend

Ptr
(Planeteer)
08/16/16 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Ptr
... after the succesfull transfer to PC with VSWE (using an USB-card reader for the SDHC-card), I re-inserted the card in the VSR-880 again, and it is no longer recognized: it offers to format it, and no other options.

I DID LOCK the SD-card with the slider, but somehow Windows (Win XP SP3 on that machine...) still manages to write something to the card, which is pretty disturbing. :-(

UPDATE:

It looks like the problem was simply because the SD-card slider was still in the 'LOCKED' position. When I used the SD-card (+IDE-adapter obviously) with UNLOCKED slider, the VSR-880 could read the card again fine.

Looks like the VSR-880 needs write-access to the drive when starting up.

Bye

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
08/16/16 08:26 AM

Hey! It sounds like you've had success with this afterall... great news!

Seems to me that you should not need to set the locked tab at all, as long as you don't fool around with what's in the card's folder while it's on the pc side.

I don't recall ever locking or unlocking the card when I'd done this operation.

Anyway, great that you've got it working for you now!

Ptr
(Planeteer)
08/16/16 08:39 AM

It should work fine, I'm confident, but to be totally sure I didn't lose our work (we recorded several takes of a new song, would hate to see that becoming lost) I went step by step.

So after the VSR-880 became friends again with that SD-card,
I did a realtime transfer of the tracks to DAW (by means of R-BUS & RPC-1).

Now having those files in the PC I can retry the filetransfer with VSWE. It'll be way more convenient obviously, but I didn't want to lose those tracks, so first did the realtime transfer.

Does it work for you ?

Bye

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
08/16/16 09:17 AM

Absolutely.

Bruce Williams
(Planeteer)
09/27/16 08:57 PM

any 2480DVD users with windows 10 having issues?

muzikalgeeneeyus
(Space Cadet)
02/02/17 01:29 PM

Hey Planeteers, tried downloading VS WaveExport today and keep getting a message saying that it contains malware that will harm my computer.

Does anyone have a link to a clean file? It would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Planeteers

WishAdministrator
(Planeteer)
02/02/17 01:50 PM

It's a false malware warning and has been happening for years now. The file is safe to download.

muzikalgeeneeyus
(Space Cadet)
02/02/17 02:47 PM

Thanks Wish for your help and advice, got it sorted.

Cheers.

All the best Planeteer

Dr. Altsack aka Volltreffer
(Planeteer)
02/27/17 05:09 AM

Used the export yesterday, after having tried for two days in vain with the 2480 alone...

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

Project was a rather big MTP 88.2/24 project, that spanned 3CDs. Ripped it from command line. It seems as if everything worked perfect, except for the stereo files that I created in the mastering room. It might have been the problem that they were located 23-16/24-16 or something related to being a stereo WAV in that Resolution... Sound was - well old style data sound - dunno how to describe.

The only thing that I found disturbing was the rather long time that was needed to rip the CDs. But that might have to do something with the huge amount of very short phrases used in the project. And compared with export of tracks (which seemed to be too large for being exported!) it still a lot faster!

So, after two days, I got everything done in some hours, which is GREAT! Otherwise I would have had to ship my 2480 into the studio to transfer everything via adat...

Great work, nice UI (which is very often the problem in my SW), very usable. (The only Thing that took me a while was the fact that I had to drag the individual files from the SONG directory to see the project. (But I did not read the description...)

So thanks again from me,

aXel

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/27/17 07:30 AM

NICE! The ripper and VSWE are such a tremendously important and useful combination of tools for us VSers.

not sure why your stereo master files would have come out weird... not sure what you mean by old style data sound - but maybe there was a sample rate mismatch in your pc going on there??

(Planeteer)
02/28/17 01:08 PM

... it seemed like that sound when old CD players were (erroneously) used to play data discs. Only a few could, but it sounded REALLY ugly! \:D

(Planeteer)
02/28/17 01:22 PM

...and btw the sample rate error is REALLY unlikely, as I created and read the old files with soundbooth before. (And there were also stereo WAVs...)

It might as well be the luck of having some 2^n length of samples or so - but I don't care too much, as it worked out nice. I MIGHT try to use different MasterTrack than 23/24 - maybe they are strange in MTP/88,1 ... I'll go and verify the CDs - it might have been an error with them, too... I'm gonna keep the ripped files for a while, if the SW authors wanna use them for trying out, it might be helpful, and I could place the stuff on dropbox for transfer.

Jacksn
(Space Cadet)
03/20/17 06:14 AM

Good morning. I would have thought I understood by now how to recover the "Whole" project of, MULTIPLE CD BACKUPS from my live rehearsals of our band via VS WaveExport- But seems, I still can't figure it out.
e.g.: We record over an hour and a half of MTP/24bit 6 track material which requires at least 2 CD-Rs to backup. I take those home and try to extract them via the VS WaveExport s/w, but still just don't understand exactly how to do a multi-CD extraction and have all the files from all CDs converted together into WAVs. I always have a problem in REAPER having all the material. This includes me with experimentation of cutting files into other folders, etc. etc. with no success.
Can someone please explain step by step the proper way to RECOVER a MULTI-CD Backup of RDAC from my VS-2400CD thru the VS WaveExport s/w? I have read the excellent PDF instructional (and downloaded it), but still can not get my head wrapped around multi-cd recovery. Some help on this from a "VS WaveExport for Dummies" perspective would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/20/17 10:53 AM

Bear, the developer of the CD ripper had said this in an earlier post on pg 5 of this thread:

This applies to CDs as well as DVDs and I can verify that multiple disc backups are problematic and should be avoided.
If you've followed bear's advice (above) and it isn't working for you, then maybe it's time to stop creating multi-disc sessions.

These are band rehearsals - It shouldn't be terribly difficult to learn to keep an eye on the machine and take a short break to stop and change to a new project (or figure out how long you can practice before you need to stop the machine). Instead of multi-cd spans of a single project/session, you'd be creating separate cds that contain only as much as can be put on one disc and avoid the issues. I'd avoid filling a disc completely to the brim, too. I'm pretty sure that doing so caused me issues when ripping in the past.

Also, if following bear's instructions isn't working, why not reimport those multi-disc sessions back to your VS and then chop the size of the long single session into multiple shorter sessions that can be backed up to single discs.

Frank and I have both posted instructions on the two methods I know of to break a single session up. You can find those instructions in this thread, if you sift through the posts. Basically, either use Song Split, along with the advice/strategy I've posted, or use the Song Copy method that Frank posted. Both methods can work really well, but you will want to start with plenty of free hard drive space - maybe backup anything current that needs to be saved to a disc, or discs first, so you can free up the hard drive and then reimport one of those long sessions and learn how to split it up.

Hope this helps. It's not exactly what you asked for, but it will save you a lot of grief in the future for sure.

mike gouthro
(Planeteer)
05/22/17 01:48 PM

In case this thread get read more frequently than the 1680 thread, I'm duplicating my post here as well:

Back in 2010 I used Bear's Reaper/Ripper tool on a 1680 backup disc and created a folder with a SONG.VR6 file along with multiple TAKE files.

I also downloaded the VS plugin: "reaper_vs.dll" and was then able to use Reaper to work on the 1680 songs.

I still have the SONG.VR6 folder and I want to do more work.

Because I replaced my PC a couple of years ago, I no longer have the "reaper_vs.dll" plugin.

Toady I tried to reacquire reaper_vs.dll from:

http://www.ps139.com/vs880ex/util

I got a red screen message "This site ahead contains harmful programs" etc

Is this site really dangerous? If so, where can I safely acquire reaper_vs.dll?

Thanks...........Mike

randygo
(Planeteer)
08/08/17 09:49 PM

FYI, I cracked Roland's mangled FAT16 layout. Info on this thread:

http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1540857#Post1540857

Cheers,

Randy

mobofsquirrels
(Planeteer)
09/21/17 06:19 PM

Nevermind, I found the answer!

Monkeyfingers
(Planeteer)
10/08/17 04:51 PM

Hey guys,
First of all, I hope everyone is safe and doing well.
Are Windows 10 and Reaper/VS Wave EXport/.BAT not compatible? I can get the back-up to cd from the 2480, run it on the pc in DOS with the cd2roland file, get the congratulations on the file xfer, etc., but that is where I'm now having no success opening my song.
BTW, my old songs on Reaper are all missing dozens of files and will not play any tracks.
So, anyone have any suggestions? Also, what about listening to fellow planeteers songs anymore? Does anyone do that? Thanks.

PAZZA
(Space Cadet)
03/04/18 01:06 PM

To Jazzbassnick,
I found this thread by Frank posted some time ago; might be helpful for many Planeteers.

I link the master tracks in the track 23/24 channel edit pages and they usually come out stereo .wav,
I have a FREE manual with step by step on this.
Email me at Fcgjabq@aol.com

Here's a portion on this...

EXPORTING MASTER TRACKS
When you get to the V-Track map in the TRACK EXPORT window, you’ll have to scroll thru all the tracks and their V-tracks to get to track 23, check mark its V-track you mastered to then scroll to track 24 and check mark its same V-track you mastered to.

Even though you have to check mark both the left and right mono tracks in the track export window, the VS will still combine them into one STEREO PAIR in to a single stereo file as long as you have them LINKED. Bring them forward in the HOME screen, selecting the V-Tracks on the V-track map and then link them on track 23’s CH-Edit page. If you do not LINK them before exporting master tracks they will wind up being MONO left and right files.

Also, if you export mastered tracks, the CD-R Mode 16bit pairs will be exported as stereo .wav files but with the non-CD-R mode mastered tracks in 24bit, if you do not have them linked and check mark the L & R tracks to be exported, they will turn out to be MONO .wav files. If you want STEREO .wav files, be sure to link them and check both left & right to be exported at the same time.

It can be tricky but you can export STEREO .wav format mastered tracks in 24bit. They will come out with a file name similar to this: 2316V_T23_16.WAV. Notice, track 24 is not in the title, weird but OK. Once done linking the tracks and exporting them, don’t forget to go back and select empty V-tracks or the original V-tracks that were in the HOME screen. The stereo .wav files are 24bit so some apps that only play 16bit audio will not open them ie Window’s Media Player!
Hope this helps
Frank
VS2480DVD,3-VS8F-2/1-VS8F-3 & 5 plugins+Auto-Tune,MassHiRes EQ,UA Bundle,Chrometone,Soundblender/TC Reverb,T-Racks.Dyns BM5A's,Roland DS50A's,M-Audio 2.1,PreSonus TubePre w/Rode NT1000,SM57&58,MXL V57&V67,B-5,XV5050,Yamaha P200,Oxygen8 V2,Behring V-amps,SansAmp DI, Taylor,Gibsons,Fender,Ric,Washburn Bass.2 RPC-1's,PC Sonar 4, Acid 5, Wavelab etc.

Doolang
(Planeteer)
03/25/18 03:55 PM

Anyone have any luck with VS WaveExport and Windows 10? do Franks instructions still apply?

powermac
(Planeteer)
03/25/18 04:26 PM

I would like to know the same thing. Have Windows 10 and would like to create some .wav files and export to Reaper.

mobofsquirrels
(Planeteer)
03/26/18 01:06 PM

VSWE worked fine on my windows 10 system.

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/12/19 11:29 PM

Anyone tried to access a VIRDIS HD file and drag those WAVs into a DAW -- via the VSWE ?? Is that how the process is done ??

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
01/13/19 01:25 AM

Let's see if this is helpful, or if it even copies in like I want it to... NOPE... pictures aren't copying into this reply. I will put images in a folder in OneDrive and post the link at the bottom of this reply/instructions. I will leave it up for a few days, anyway. Eventually the link will be no good - then you will need to PM me for it...

So, here’s a quick picture show of how I know how to use VSWE with a CD ripped with bear’s cd ripper (found in the Extras menu of VSWE). And then one of a VirDIS HDD file…
I am assuming you can rip a CD already and I am assuming you can create and store projects in VirDIS:

From the CD ripper extract:
1- locate ripped SONG folder and choose a SONG (SONG in all caps being the default name given by bear’s ripper – you may have and should rename those folders as part of your regular rip process).

2- Open SONG folder of choice and grab the SONG.VR file that corresponds to your VS model – the 1680 rip creates a SONG.VR6 file. A 2480 creates a different named file.

3- Drag SONG.VR file into VSWE’s main window – Project song title will be the same as that in the .txt file seen just above the VR6 file in #2.

4- Highlight the Project SONG file in VSWE – notice little green boxes pop up in matrix on the right – Click the ALL button below the matrix (or click only the tracks you want in the matrix). The green boxes will be outlined in red when selected.

5- Notice also, the Export To path – you must set it up – my suggestion is to create default main folder – Notice mine says D:\Files Audio\Rip0000\ - - you can leave the song title blank, or add the name after the “\” at the end of the file path. VSWE will offer to and create the folder for the export for you, if you did not do it yourself, but it may end up inside a wrong folder – so best to add this song title last every time.

Extract files from VirDIS HDD file through VSWE:

6- Find HDD Files and highlight/drag one into the VSWE main window.
7- Follow all previous steps to export wav files – Import into Reaper or whatever DAW.
All tracks will always be time-aligned automatically, if you import them all on their own track channels, starting at zero.

There are a few caveats to this process –
1- Your files and process for saving may be different than what I’ve outlined.
2- You can run into snags – errors, event errors (see example), zero byte exports (can be redone individually to make them correct), possibly other things I don’t recall or know about. Some things can be fixed, sussed out and corrected….. other things just are head scratchers – they either spell disaster, or you ignore them and discover your exported wav files are actually okay – I can’t predict any of this and I don’t know if the developer still cares enough to answer questions, if you can find him. Hope this is helpful…. I may have to send this as a separate attachment if it doesn’t copy to the forum the way I want it to……
Example error message:

Here's the OneDrive link - good for at least a few days or a bit longer:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApQxVDASwyuYklF4JEy99-ztr7HT

wailinfree
(Planeteer)
03/05/20 03:49 PM

Is there a new VS WE link to download. I tried downloading from the link at the begginning of this thread but got a not safe message. Im trying to relearn the VS2480.
Thanks

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/05/20 04:05 PM

That VSWE link is as good today as it's been since it was put there years ago. The problem is that some people's computer software won't allow it to be downloaded because of a false positive trojan suspect file - which isn't.

I just tried downloading it again - then added the .zip extension to the end and could open the compressed folder to see the files with no issues. I will say that I had one computer a couple years ago that would always give me that virus alert and then strip out the file it suspected, even when it would allow me to download the file with no extension (like it currently is). I never figured out how to get around that one, except to use a different computer.

Maybe if you could manage to download it and unzip it on a different system and then copy over just the individual files to a new folder you might get lucky?

Bear used to upload special requests of what he called "clean" copies of VSWE with CD2Roland and for some reason those would work for people, if I recall. I couldn't say why..... There's somebody else that was making a version 1.25 available, but I've forgotten who - I think you might find a thread or two and could send him a pm, if you check the 880 and 1680 forums, if not this one too.

wailinfree
(Planeteer)
03/05/20 05:23 PM

Ok thanks
I think I have a downloaded file from 6 years ago
I'll look for that. I wasnt sure if there was a newer version
I remember bear helping
Not sure how i got around it last time
But if that software is still good I'll try and find it
Thanks again

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/05/20 08:08 PM

1.24a was the last version for years and should work perfectly fine, if you have it. Bear's CD2Roland (the ripper program) is included in VSWE 1.24a and should be something like Cd2Rol022... at least that's the last version I have as a standalone from 2010 and 2012.

wailinfree
(Planeteer)
03/06/20 08:38 AM

Thanks I'm pretty sure I have it and ripper
From what I'm read I guess it will work on windows 10
Off topic
I now need to change battery
Any link to directions
I know it's not hard as I replaced the effect cards and modes the ch version I have with DVD
I also have a service manual
Just wondering how many screws
I'll tackle this hopefully later today
Thanks for all your help uptildawn

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/06/20 08:45 AM

If it's like other VS models, the battery should be accessible through the fx card opening.

wailinfree
(Planeteer)
03/07/20 08:27 AM

I got it done yesterday
Just wasnt sure if I had to take apart
Glad I didnt
Thanks

justplaneray
(Space Cadet)
03/27/20 03:06 AM

This is a cry for help - you can see I registered on the forum a couple of years ago, but I've been too much of a luddite to make use of my 2480, and it has sit still. Recently my simple old 16 track Fostex died and I used the 2480 (with the help of Frank's Brown Bag) to record some tracks supporting a friend's quarantine recording project. Problem now is getting them from the 2480 to him as Wav files. I followed the Mastering Room instructions, but while I turned the room on, and changed the settings to Record, the tracks didn't turn grey as it said in Frank's file, nor did it produce a mastered recording in 23-24/16. At no point did the status lights turn red, or anything except green. I understand that I'm a tech weenie, and I'm old (68) and probably not a good learner, so ignoring me would probably save you time, but any help, suggestions you can impart would be appreciated. I'd love to get my friend these tracks, which are some brass effects for his recording. Thanks.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
03/27/20 11:32 AM

I don't have experience worth noting on the 2480, but why not use the track export feature to export the individual tracks out and onto a disc? You could then copy those wav files into a computer via the cd/dvd drive (assuming you have one for your computer - assuming you have one of those too \:\) ).

You could then mail the discs to your friend, or better still, upload them to a cloud storage like any of the free storage accounts that onedrive, or google, etc. offer. Your friend could then download them and import them (or record them) into their own machine..... or work with them on a computer workstation.

Slickejooks
(Space Cadet)
04/30/20 03:13 PM

Does anyone have an working copy the VSexport Windows XP for 2480?? The one thats listed isnt working properly.. Or can any one tell me how to see all 10 part on my PC via 2480 Hard drive?? please email me at Slickejooks@aol.com would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
04/30/20 03:51 PM

How do you mean that VSWE isn't working properly?
Did it work for you before and now it doesn't?
Have you ever gotten it to work at all?
How far have you gotten with it?
Are you using a disc backup, or trying to access the projects directly from you 2480 hard drive connected to a pc?

Or are you having trouble downloading it?
If so, what website?
the goodlibrary,com has a working version of it, but many people report having trouble with their antivirus prohibiting the download, or removing certain files from the zipped folder after it's been downloaded to their hard drive.

Describe in detail, please, so we might have a clue how to assist.

There's a 2480 website that has clear instructions on how to access more than the first 4 partitions of a VS hard drive, using a pc. I don't recall the name, but it should show up in a google search.