mrsinical
(Planeteer)
01/05/14 07:04 PM
Nazca Lines

I have always found the schematic lines (and the other animal shapes) to be quite interesting.
Checkout the similarity between the Nazca "Spider" and the Earths electromagnetic field - (especially during a solar flare - (I can't find a pic of the field at the onset of the northern lights = when the upper lines "bow" and lash toward the sun)

Is there some sort of layered "schematic" code within the straight lines all around the artistic ones?

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/05/14 07:12 PM
Re: Nazca Lines

Interesting pic comparison.

I think the aliens are involved in the Nasca Lines.

Kenex
(Planeteer)
01/05/14 09:15 PM

I also think that the aliens or rather the Watchers are involved.

A good book to read on these kinds of subjects is " The Book Of Enoch" which not only tells about the watchers visiting earth but tells of how the earth looks from space in quite a lot of detail plus explains orbits of the sun and planets etc...and this was not that long before Noah and the flood.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 12:07 AM

I have been to the Nazca Desert, walked the desert, seen and photographed the lines from the air and took a short course on the lines from the university in Cuzco, Peru. My books on the lines are boxed, so unfortunately I can't point anyone toward them.

Interestingly, the lines were not known to North Americans or the world until aviation came to Peru in the 1930s.

The Peruvians think that those who ascribe the origin of the lines to space aliens or extraterrrestrials are profoundly racist in assuming that the Peruvians and their brown-skinned native Inca and Mochi and Nazca ancestors could not have constructed these wonders. The lines were built by the native Nazcan peoples. There is nothing so supernatural about these lines that they needed aliens to construct them. The Nazca Desert gets very little rain, like 3 inches every hundred years or so. The dryness is why archaeologists have been able to find preserved Inca fabrics and quipas. This desert has a brownish-reddish crust as the top layer of ground --- one makes the lines or indentations by walking on the crust, which breaks through to reveal the lighter-colored ground underneath.

Do not denigrate the ancient peoples of South America by ascribing their works to space aliens. The Inca built Machu Picchu, Sacsayhuaman, Cuzco, the Inca Trail (which is a 25-foot wide 3200 mile long stone road, much traversing high mountain territory, and linking 25,000 miles of roads). What the ancient Peruvians, the Inca, the Mochi, the Nazca built were marvels.

No space aliens, watchers or extraterrestrials were involved in building the Nazca lines. Examine your own racism in assuming that ancient brown-skinned peoples could not have built these marvels and they must therefore have been been built by outer space people.

Jeesh. Talk about the failure of education and science education in the USA.

SteveW
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 12:09 AM

Racism? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: SteveW
Racism? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Yes, racism. You laugh, but it was racism that the Europeans used as justification for exterminating the native North and South American Indians by genocide. Traces of that racism persist today in the assumption that the Indian ancestors could not have been advanced enough or smart enough or evolv3ed enough to build various engineering marvels in present-day Peru and that space aliens, instead of native peoples, were behind these constructions.

SteveW
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 12:15 AM

Sorry, I'm not buying into the Racism thing at all and don't believe for a second that any ancient Race built any of the things including the lines.

JMO

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 12:44 AM

Well, you notice that these "space aliens" must have built it" do not say that the fabulous structures built in Europe by ancient white people were made by space aliens. I do not hear them saying, Oh, space aliens had to have built the cathedral at Salisbury, the natives could not have built such a marvel.

Those who conclude that space aliens built the Nazca Lines are assuming that Peruvians living at the time were incapable of making some drawings in the desert. Why not conclude the obvious, and what archaeologists have concluded, that the Nazcans made the lines, and ascribe them instead to space aliens? Because they assume that Indians were inferior and incapable of drawing some lines in the desert, because they refuse to give the native Indians credit for their creations, because they make the irrational and baseless assumption that space aliens drew the figures, these are indices of the implicit racism in their assumptions.

Go the the Nazca Desert and you will clearly see that the crusty rock-sand on the top was removed to reveal the lighter sand underneath; the crust was removed in the shape of the designs. A chunk of wood or rock dragged along by a rope, or by foot trampling through the upper crust, easily creates shapes. Easy. No space aliens needed --- unless you are a white modern unwilling to give Indians credit for their works and intelligence.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 01:34 AM

Actually I don't rule out aliens in many places around the world.

but I gotta say, you bringing up racism as an answer to my comment, knowing my views on the subject from the political forum is probably the most idiotic thing I've seen you say since you came back in town. Sometimes it becomes evident that you don't have any respect for the human race as a whole, except for yourself. Try not to be such a suspicious hateful person.

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 02:23 AM

I think that comparing the lines to earth's magnetic field is as "out there" as ascribing racism to people's comments that they can't imagine how the ancient native South Americans could have created them. For that matter, figuring that aliens must have constructed them...or directed the natives to construct them is as "out there" as well. I see no reason why these couldn't have been built by the natives as a message or some such thing to the gods that came from the sky...or lived in the sky or whatever.

The racism thing in particular seems a pretty big stretch coming from a non-native. It's easy to understand why "some" native South Americans might feel that way though. Here's the thing, do the locals from Egypt or Great Britain or Thailand or wherever else there are difficult-to-explain artifacts or ruins feel people are racist if they ascribe those things to "aliens"? It may not be the case, but the charge (again, coming from a non-native) comes off as more than a little self-aggrandizing...like..."see how simpatico I am with the natives and how ignorant you are!".

-john

Kenex
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 02:27 AM

What I said was that aliens or rather watchers were involved not that the ancient peruvians did not create the lines. I believe that the locals built the lines because of their contact with space visitors and what they learned at the time from the visitors. The lines being a reflection of the visitors knowledge.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 02:40 AM

Von Daniken makes a big assumption:
he assumes that because these lines can only be seen from the air that they must be ET related.

it might be ET related or not.
but jumping right away to the ET hypothesis seems premature to me.

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: mrsinical

Is there some sort of layered "schematic" code within the straight lines all around the artistic ones?

No....considering it's obviously just a giant drawing of a bug.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: moontan
he assumes that because these lines can only be seen from the air that they must be ET related.

I didn't jump right away, if archaeologists had a solid answer, I'd accept it, but I checked into it several times over the years and they don't seem to.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 03:34 AM

I do not expect modern white Americans, who falsely believe that they are free of all vestiges of racism, to understand how racist so many of their assumptions are. This denial and stubborn refusal to look at the racism, subtle and overt, within their own consciousness is what causes the problems of race to persist in this land. Put yourself in the shoes of a native American who people have been diminished by genocide, whose people were called savages and more akin to animals than humans --- how would you feel if all the creations of your peoples were dismissed as too advanced, were dismissed as having been made by space aliens.

Your making the assumption that I am white is also a vestige of subtle racism. And white folks deciding that they are the arbiters of what is and is not racism is also a form of racism ("whitey knows best").

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Al

I didn't jump right away, if archaeologists had a solid answer, I'd accept it, but I checked into it several times over the years and they don't seem to.

i was talking about Von Daniken there Al, not you.

i think he is too quick to jump to the ET hypothesis.
i need more than a "it can only be seen from the air, therefore it is ET related".

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 03:41 AM

Skywave.....there is a section here called "political". It's also where the crazys hang out. Seriously....you're a couple beers short of a six pack and to you everything is political and rascist....even when you make no fucking sense and are being absurd.

It's the perfect place for a wackaloon like you.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: SkyWave
I do not expect modern white Americans, who falsely believe that they are free of all vestiges of racism, to understand how racist so many of their assumptions are. This denial and stubborn refusal to look at the racism, subtle and overt, within their own consciousness is what causes the problems of race to persist in this land. Put yourself in the shoes of a native American who people have been diminished by genocide, whose people were called savages and more akin to animals than humans --- how would you feel if all the creations of your peoples were dismissed as too advanced, were dismissed as having been made by space aliens.

Your making the assumption that I am white is also a vestige of subtle racism. And white folks deciding that they are the arbiters of what is and is not racism is also a form of racism ("whitey knows best").

Who is assuming you're white ? I don't see that on this thread, maybe I missed it. Can you find it cause I'm curious about that ?

Seems like you're the one who is assuming that others on this thread are white. You must be a racist, along with being a hater. I suggest you put yourself in others' shoes here who you often make loopy accusations and generalizations about and take a close look at your own consciousness.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 03:52 AM

Like I said Gamble, modern white Americans are in profound denial about the vestiges of racism in their consciousness. Neuroscience confirms it, the brains of most white people show fear responses when they encounter or view black Americans.

Look, when people assume that white folks built the grand monuments of Europe, but that space aliens built the monuments of the Americas, that is a racist assumption, an assumption that denotes the inferiority of Indian peoples. If your mind is unable to allow this notion to permeate it, you will eventually become an ossified and irrelevant dinosaur. C

And calling someone who points out racism a "wackaloon" is a tactic of the bully and racist.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 03:55 AM

Who here assumes that white folks built Stonehenge? You aren't allowed to just make these things up to suit your dumb arguments.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 05:46 AM

I do not hear people here saying that space aliens built the Salisbury Cathedral, white folks assume that early British Islanders living on the Salisbury Plain built that marvel. As to Stonehenge, folks typically assume that Caucasian Druids built Stonehenge.

Look, basically one guy, this Erik von Danniken (sp) fellow, found that he could sell books among science-illiterates attributing the work of pre-modern Peruvians to extraterrestrials. And people predisposed to believe in the inferiority of nonwhite peoples are willing to dismiss the labors and intelligence of the Peruvians and give nonexistent extraterrestrials credit for the work of native Americans.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 05:56 AM

I do not hear people here saying that space aliens built the Salisbury Cathedral, white folks assume that early British Islanders living on the Salisbury Plain built that marvel. As to Stonehenge, folks typically assume that Caucasian Druids built Stonehenge.

Look, basically one guy, this Erik von Danniken (sp) fellow, found that he could sell books among science-illiterates attributing the work of pre-modern Peruvians to extraterrestrials. And people predisposed to believe in the inferiority of nonwhite peoples are willing to dismiss the labors and intelligence of the Peruvians and give nonexistent extraterrestrials credit for the work of native Americans.

Actually there are all kinds of writers who have discussed ancient astronauts, not just the guy who had a few best sellers about it. You're coming totally out of the dark about this idea that believing in an alien presence has anything to do with demeaning earthly cultures, seriously, that's just the bizarre invention of somebody who wants to rave for the sake of it.

It would be strange to think aliens built a cathedral, not so strange to think they built Stonehenge, do you really not understand that ?

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 07:24 AM

You know that humans have had radio telescopes trained on the cosmos waiting for any signal from an extraterrestrial lifeform and decade after decade we have heard nothing but silence, complete silence.

But have fun postulating extraterrestrials and space aliens and enjoying the specism of thinking advanced civilizations would be interested in the violent bipedal apes that populate the Earth. It is easier than actually learning science.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 07:48 AM

You're assuming that if they did discover something involving aliens that they would tell you.

You're one of those apes, I'm sure they'd like to look in on your posts at the Planet. \:\)

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:08 AM

You know that humans have had radio telescopes trained on the cosmos waiting for any signal from an extraterrestrial lifeform and decade after decade we have heard nothing but silence, complete silence.

one could argue that an advanced civilization would be using something more sophisticated that radio signals for communication.

we're pretty much done here on Earth with that mean of communication as it is.
everything is moving to cable, fiber optics, satellites, microwaves and whatnot.

here in Canada, you can't watch TV anymore using just an antenna or 'rabbit ears' like we used to.
it all comes through either cables or satellites now.
pretty much the only thing we use radio waves for is FM and AM radio.
and that's going the way of the dodo bird also...

another problem is the normal radio leakage we produce could be detected from only a few light-years away, using our present days technology.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/jan/27/aliens-cant-hear-us-astronomer

mrsinical
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 02:05 PM

Skywave - I'm not a racist - I merely made a comparison. And the native people at Nazca (similar to many other early civilizations around the world) openly claim through stories, songs, dance, drawings and artifacts - that certain historic events in their heritage were directly connected to "Gods descending from the sky". I'm just making a "possible" connection from what their heritage of "records" suggests in the first place.
I apologize, for I knew not that this would define me as an ignorant racist.

Gamble - I know the "Spider" drawing is, or directly resembles, a simple animal - but the lines I am referring to are the miles of... abstract, seemingly pointless ones all over, around, under and in-between the "animal drawings", practically covering the plateau.

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 02:24 PM

Aw crap, here we go again. Skywave, you really need to get a grip man (woman?, extraterrestrial?, highly evolved arthropod?, white, black, pacific islander?...I want to be sure I don't make any assumptions). No one here has said or implied anything that is racist, at least no more racist than what you're saying.

Quote:
one could argue that an advanced civilization would be using something more sophisticated that radio signals for communication.

we're pretty much done here on Earth with that mean of communication as it is.
everything is moving to cable, fiber optics, satellites, microwaves and whatnot.

Look Moon, couching remarks in pseudoscience to make them appear learned doesn't make your position any stronger. Radio waves can be either a direct form of communication...OR...they can be the byproduct of all kinds of technology. Here's a clue...stuff emits "radio waves" either intentionally or unintentionally. The universe itself does that, but detecting patterns aside from the noise could mean something...or not. I'm fairly confident that the folks involved in SETI and other efforts to find life out there at least are aware of the potentials.

Now back to the really bizarre claims of inherent racism, at least it's something "new".

-john

mrsinical
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 02:30 PM

Tesla -
"If you want to know the secrets of the universe, think in energy, waves and vibrations".

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 03:42 PM

Quote:
havlicek:
Look Moon, couching remarks in pseudoscience to make them appear learned doesn't make your position any stronger.
Radio waves can be either a direct form of communication...OR...they can be the byproduct of all kinds of technology.
Here's a clue...stuff emits "radio waves" either intentionally or unintentionally.
The universe itself does that, but detecting patterns aside from the noise could mean something...or not.
I'm fairly confident that the folks involved in SETI and other efforts to find life out there at least are aware of the potentials.

i'm well aware lots of stuff can emit radio waves.
amateur astronomy is one of my hobby.
like i said, the leakage we produce can only be detected from a short distance, no more than a few light-years.
 Quote:
"For good measure, in America we have switched from analogue to digital broadcasting and you are going to do the same in Britain very soon," Drake added. "When you do that, your transmissions will become four times fainter because digital uses less power."

"Very soon we will become undetectable," he said. In short, in space no one will hear us at all.

What is true for humans would probably also be true for aliens, who may already have moved to much more efficient methods of TV and radio broadcasting. Trying to find ET from their favourite shows was going to be harder than we thought, Drake said.

i think the researchers at the SETI Institute got a lot of things wrong.
i really hope the taxpayers did not foot the bill for that stuff. lol

but eh, it paid their salary for all those years.
so who am i to argue?

Jammer
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 04:46 PM

Automatic assumption that racism is behind the belief that SPACE ALIENS were involved in the making of the Nazca lines is SOMEHOW even MORE insane than the belief that SPACE ALIENS were involved in the making of the Nazca lines.

MAN, this place is just chalk full of REAL wackadoos, including myself but I guess that's why we like it here so much. !!!!

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 04:56 PM

damn uppity space aliens. ;\)

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 05:03 PM

Quote:
i'm well aware lots of stuff can emit radio waves.
amateur astronomy is one of my hobby.
like i said, the leakage we produce can only be detected from a short distance, no more than a few light-years.

You may need to lay off the long-ago-worn-out spliff your emoticon is puffing, so you can realize how ridiculous the above statement sounds. Amateur brain surgery is one of my "hobby", so I'm well aware of what it takes to remove a tumor from up there...besides...I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night. BTW, astronomy (ie: looking at space stuff) is a whole lot different from say astrophysics. Your "qualifications" are nothing more than uneducated opinion, so you have none.

Quote:
i think the researchers at the SETI Institute got a lot of things wrong.

Of course you do! That amateur astronomy thing is what qualifies you to see the folly in their game plan!

-john

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 05:11 PM

that's weak.

furthermore, your head is so far up your ass it muddles your common sense. lol

buh-bye, i'm off to bed.
got graveyard tonite.

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 06:13 PM

Well, it's refreshing to see you refer to common sense anyway...even if you haven't a clue about what it is! Maybe dream about being someone who actually knows what he's talking about, instead of inventing qualifications eh? There goes another internet idiot...sleep tight \:D

-john

ulank
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 06:27 PM

Racist Peruvian Aliens

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:02 PM

Or, one could more reasonably conclude, that the rest of the universe is subject to the same law of physics as in this solar system and that any civilization advanced enough to know about Earth and get here would also know about the entire electromagnetic radiation spectrum, which includes radio waves.

Basically, the UFO believers have just taken the God the Invisible Sky Father myth and transferred it to space aliens, more invisible gods from the sky. Concepts of a juvenile psyche more interested in childish distraction than creating a decent, just and sustainable world here.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:14 PM

Unlike the rest of you, apparently, I have been at the Nazca lines. I have flown over them and photographed them and walked them; I have sat through lectures at the university at Cuzco about the Nazca liens and who made them and what their purpose was; and interviewed Peruvian scholars and shamans about the lines. It is not this big woo-woo pace mystery. The Nazca built the lines and had their own purposes. No assistance from space aliens was needed to build Machu Picchu, the Inca Road or the Nazca liens. Or the wondrous ruins throughout Meso-America.

And it is Peruvians who lay the charge of racism, from whom I first heard it when studying the lines in Peru. If you travel to Peru and Nazca and talk to the people and scholars there involved with the lines, they are the ones who complain bitterly about the racism of the white folks who assume that the native American Nazcan people could not have made the lines and that they must have been made by space aliens instead. The brown-skinned Peruvians know that these assumptions are racist. How do you think a Peruvian parent feels, one who wants to show the marvels of their country top their children, who wants their children to be proud of what their ancestors were able to build, only to be told that the Nazcans were too stupid to construct these lines and that space aliens must have built them.

But rather than examine the racism implicit in your assumptions that space aliens built the Nazca lines, you choose instead to attack me and go into, as racists tend to do, total denial.

slotz
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: GAMBLE
Skywave.....there is a section here called "political". It's also where the crazys hang out. Seriously....you're a couple beers short of a six pack and to you everything is political and rascist....even when you make no fucking sense and are being absurd.

It's the perfect place for a wackaloon like you.

Since I will never return to the sewer, I'll say it here....She is one fucked up human being.

Good lord....

SteveW
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:24 PM

Honestly?

She sounds like my Daughter. Is that you Lisa?

If I text or used to text to my Daughter and said something like hey man that's cool? It makes me a Womanizer calling her a man..........Huh? \:D

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:25 PM

Is your daughter hot?

SteveW
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:27 PM

Now how the Hell would I know if my Daughter was hot?

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:28 PM

Good answer.....it was a trick question.

You pass.

Unfortunately it also means the answer is no.

Trick answer.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:41 PM

Or, one could more reasonably conclude, that the rest of the universe is subject to the same law of physics as in this solar system and that any civilization advanced enough to know about Earth and get here would also know about the entire electromagnetic radiation spectrum, which includes radio waves.

Basically, the UFO believers have just taken the God the Invisible Sky Father myth and transferred it to space aliens, more invisible gods from the sky. Concepts of a juvenile psyche more interested in childish distraction than creating a decent, just and sustainable world here.

I'd think that a hippie like you would be more open minded. You'd feel differently if you ever had any experiences of high strangeness but obviously the aliens have steered clear of you cause they're afraid you'd stereotype them like you do most other factions of beings. \:D

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:43 PM

Unlike the rest of you, apparently, I have been at the Nazca lines. I have flown over them and photographed them and walked them; I have sat through lectures at the university at Cuzco about the Nazca liens and who made them and what their purpose was; and interviewed Peruvian scholars and shamans about the lines. It is not this big woo-woo pace mystery. The Nazca built the lines and had their own purposes. No assistance from space aliens was needed to build Machu Picchu, the Inca Road or the Nazca liens. Or the wondrous ruins throughout Meso-America.

And it is Peruvians who lay the charge of racism, from whom I first heard it when studying the lines in Peru. If you travel to Peru and Nazca and talk to the people and scholars there involved with the lines, they are the ones who complain bitterly about the racism of the white folks who assume that the native American Nazcan people could not have made the lines and that they must have been made by space aliens instead. The brown-skinned Peruvians know that these assumptions are racist. How do you think a Peruvian parent feels, one who wants to show the marvels of their country top their children, who wants their children to be proud of what their ancestors were able to build, only to be told that the Nazcans were too stupid to construct these lines and that space aliens must have built them.

But rather than examine the racism implicit in your assumptions that space aliens built the Nazca lines, you choose instead to attack me and go into, as racists tend to do, total denial.

You obviously have no clue what you're examining. I'm examining your comments here and it's clear you have a strong disposition to label people, ultimately making you look like a simpleton.

Xenophile
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:49 PM

One thing we know for sure is that they weren't made by girls. Everybody knows that girls are dumb.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 08:55 PM

I'd think that a hippie like you would be more open minded. You'd feel differently if you ever had any experiences of high strangeness but obviously the aliens have steered clear of you cause they're afraid you'd stereotype them like you do most other factions of beings. \:D

I have had experiences of high strangeness, including ones that were not drug-induced. However, I have some educational background in science, which is inter alia a method of determining truths and laws about reality by a process of observation and experimentation and testing hypotheses. And so, when confronted by a strange or seemingly inexplicable phenomenon, my first reaction is not to attribute it to space aliens or some supernatural cause, but to look for possible explanations that comport with what we know of the laws of the physical universe. One who has a serious commitment to truth is not prone to making up imaginative stories of ghosts and gods and aliens as being the cause of earthly phenomena.

The reality is that there is no credible or hard evidence of the existence of space aliens, all the talk is mere speculation. However, the argument that the universe is huge and likely contains many planets capable of sustaining life and that life must have arisen elsewhere is a reasonable one. Even if life exists elsewhere, the likelihood that they could fund Earth life or get here is doubtful, given interstellar distances and numerous other obstacles.

Carl Sagan believed in life elsewhere and acknowledged that our radio telescopes and other instrumentation were picking up nothing but silence. Sagan's idea was that any civilization that would be advanced enough to get here would have destroyed themselves before they could --- he seemed to think that as beings got higher technologies, the technologies would ultimately story them. Earthmen seem to be playing out that scenario.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 09:34 PM

so tell us about your experiences of high strangeness. They must not have been that strange or you wouldn't have been able to come to such satisfied conclusions about them.

MadGuitrst
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 10:50 PM

I have been to the Nazca Desert, walked the desert, seen and photographed the lines from the air and took a short course on the lines from the university in Cuzco, Peru.

Is there anything you haven't done? \:\)

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
01/06/14 10:53 PM

Seriously.....skywave is more full of shit than me.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/06/14 11:18 PM

haha not quite. \:\)

slotz
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 12:30 AM

Yes...quite

Vanillagrits
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 12:57 AM

Skyhole doesn't always drink beer, but when she does..............

Ismellelephant
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 01:07 AM

Just to be fair here Skywave's remarks about explaining away achievements done long ago has a racist component isn't new. Here is a small example of how this comes about.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/mysteries-of-great-zimbabwe.html

Ismellelephant
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 01:18 AM

A bit more
"Despite criticism from the scientific establishment, including famed scientist Carl Sagan, the ancient astronaut and lost civilization hypothesis remains popular. According to Omni (1994:77) "One of Sagan's original objections was the underlying assumption that our ancestors were apparently too stupid to create the monumental architecture of our past." And indeed, this is the theme that cuts across all the diffusionist ideas about the origins of Mesoamerican civilization. Each of these authors argues that the Mesoamericans were incapable of creating a unique, vital and exciting civilization on their own, and that they needed outside agents to help them overcome their mental handicaps.

This view is not only wrong, it is also racist. It is racist whether it comes from supporters of the Caucasian refugees of a lost continent (see Hancock 1995:102-104) or the Afrocentrists who see Africans as the superior race (see Haslip-Viera et al. 1997:420). What these belief systems fail to understand is that humanity has no biological determinism, that intelligence and the ability to create and to understand are not characteristics belonging to races, but individuals (Jurmain et al. 1998:109). Mesoamericans had a long tradition of civilization and culture before the Spanish conquest, and no attempt to rewrite history can deny the ancient peoples of Mexico their cultural heritage. "

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Ismellelephant
A bit more
"Despite criticism from the scientific establishment, including famed scientist Carl Sagan, the ancient astronaut and lost civilization hypothesis remains popular. According to Omni (1994:77) "One of Sagan's original objections was the underlying assumption that our ancestors were apparently too stupid to create the monumental architecture of our past." And indeed, this is the theme that cuts across all the diffusionist ideas about the origins of Mesoamerican civilization. Each of these authors argues that the Mesoamericans were incapable of creating a unique, vital and exciting civilization on their own, and that they needed outside agents to help them overcome their mental handicaps.

This view is not only wrong, it is also racist. It is racist whether it comes from supporters of the Caucasian refugees of a lost continent (see Hancock 1995:102-104) or the Afrocentrists who see Africans as the superior race (see Haslip-Viera et al. 1997:420). What these belief systems fail to understand is that humanity has no biological determinism, that intelligence and the ability to create and to understand are not characteristics belonging to races, but individuals (Jurmain et al. 1998:109). Mesoamericans had a long tradition of civilization and culture before the Spanish conquest, and no attempt to rewrite history can deny the ancient peoples of Mexico their cultural heritage. "

An awful lot of PC horseshit parading as enlightenment right there. Assume for a moment that, instead of being racists, people who necessarily see alien intervention in the great accomplishments of the past just have a lack of imagination...or even a lack of understanding of what can be accomplished without technological advantages. Ascribing racism to all this is utter ass-leakage; dripping, stinking intellectual diarhea. This is the go-to position for idiots...why?, because the tag is so damaging and so difficult to get out from underneath, it's an argument-ender even when there's no substance to the claim. Now morons everywhere resort to calling just about anything racist. It works and it's a whole lot easier than having an original thought.

-john

Ismellelephant
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 02:06 AM

In your usual gifted asshole way you fail to understand that this is nothing new, that was the point of what I posted. You really are disturbed. This thread probably should be moved to protect the delicate, lol.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: MadGuitrst

Silly question. Of course, there are many things. I have never killed, or been part of a military or parachuted from a plane, nor dived for pearls, nor have I been to India, and I still have a huge bucket list of things remaining to be done. Everyone here has done a lot of stuff, as have I. Nothing really unusual, I decided quite young that I did not want an ordinary boring same-same life, that I wanted a colorful and interesting life and with travel and that what I chose to create.

You all can think this is BS, but you will be wrong. The Nazca Lines are there, you can go see them as well and see how easily thee iron-rich crust can be broken to reveal the whiter sand underneath.

And it appears that Mr. Ismellelephant actually gets that racism underlies the assumption of white moderns that pre-Spanish Peruvians and Meso-Americans could not have built the monuments of their cultures, but had to have intervention by space aliens.

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 02:30 AM

Stupid fucking lines.

SteveW
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 02:43 AM

Ha ha ha ha!

No of course they made the lines duh.

The why was/is the question. I don't see anyone here saying they were stupid cause they were not but....

Some other things like moving 300 ton rocks and welding them together thousands of years ago to that I say yes they had help from someone out there.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: havlicek
Well, it's refreshing to see you refer to common sense anyway...even if you haven't a clue about what it is! Maybe dream about being someone who actually knows what he's talking about, instead of inventing qualifications eh? There goes another internet idiot...sleep tight \:D

-john

you're out of your league junior.
your superior tone and overbearing attitude are unwarranted, especially considering you can't think your way out of a phuckin paper-bag.

if you had bothered to read the link i posted you would have a clue.
here it is again:

i'm done with you.
not only are you an idiot, you also are unwilling to learn.
you're also making me waste my time.

buh-bye now! \:p
lol

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:07 AM

so?

what's the point you are trying to make here?

read the phuckin link here below, for the 3rd-4th times.
it explains why we have not been able to detect alien civilizations.

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:09 AM

Bitches be crazy?

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:10 AM

Bitches be crazy?

oh, shush. lol

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:10 AM

Just because Smelly posted some article like that, doesn't mean he believes that it's the case here. I don't think he's that dumb, really, now.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:15 AM

Just because Smelly posted some article like that, doesn't mean he believes that it's the case here. I don't think he's that dumb, really, now.

right you are.
i think he was just posting an article showing that other people beside Skywave believe in that crap.

personally, i think the racist angle is totally ludicrous, but that's me.

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:17 AM

Nobody believes in space niggers.

SteveW
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:19 AM

That's inappropriate Gamble

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:21 AM

not his fault.

i edited my post, which he quoted.

it was supposed to be a joke, but i don't think you folks would've enjoyed.

so....

uh, where were we?

ah yeah, UFOs. lol

SteveW
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:22 AM

Tsk tsk

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:23 AM

My bad. Extraterrestrial Americans.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:24 AM

mwahahahaha! \:D

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:40 AM

some people see racists everywhere.
some others...

\:D

NOK
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:53 AM

there's nothing like a lunatic to brighten up your day

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: NOK
there's nothing like a lunatic to brighten up your day

hahaha! \:D

Jammer
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 04:15 AM

I haven't been around nearly as much lately and have missed out on the Skywave introduction. Is that you Wild?

NOK
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 04:20 AM

shhhh.... you won't get a straight answer and you will be accused of being a racist..

just about everyone here so far has..had that tag stamped on then

try to keep a low profile

Jammer
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 05:16 AM

OK, thanks NOK. I'll try to keep my head low.

Outrageous offensive slurs and then Smelly to the rescue?

Seems like deja vu all over again.

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 06:04 AM

lmao

This thread has been a riot! I can't believe sky has not started in on how we are all old white misogynists yet......I have a feeling it is coming \:D

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 01:45 PM

Quote:
In your usual gifted asshole way you fail to understand that this is nothing new, that was the point of what I posted. You really are disturbed. This thread probably should be moved to protect the delicate, lol.

In your usual not gifted asshole way, you fail to realize that there are precious few people who would actually take the time to read whatever it is you post. The likelihood of you saying something worth wasting a minute or so on just doesn't warrant that kind of effort. Here's a banana, now go climb a tree.

Quote:
you're out of your league junior.
your superior tone and overbearing attitude are unwarranted, especially considering you can't think your way out of a phuckin paper-bag.

This coming from the guy who's go-to emoticon is a dumbass toking on a doobie. I can see why my "attitude" comes off as overbearing to people like yourself who, short of having real expertise or qualifications, live a sort of fantasy life on the internet where they think/hope/believe that someone somewhere just might not question their moronic ramblings. Sucks to get called out as a poseur eh? Now get your amateur-astronomer telescope out of your ass and point it towards the sky. There's actual stuff to learn!

-john

TwoTonCarmine
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 01:51 PM

Quote:

In your usual not gifted asshole way, you fail to realize that there are precious few people who would actually take the time to read whatever it is you post. -john

Ever notice how assholes always think they speak for everyone? They always imagine a gang behind them, when in reality they are just a cowardly solo asshole. This jerk is so thick that he brings politics into play everytime he posts because of his signature line. Rightwingers only like politics in their echo chamber.

TwoTonCarmine
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Infinitymobile
lmao

This thread has been a riot!

I agree and I got to call an asshole..."ASSHOLE", doesn't get much better than this.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 02:09 PM

Sucks to get called out as a poseur eh?

from you?

not at all.

you're just another internet poser. lol

here, put that in your pipe!

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: TwoTonCarmine
 Quote:

In your usual not gifted asshole way, you fail to realize that there are precious few people who would actually take the time to read whatever it is you post. -john

Ever notice how assholes always think they speak for everyone? They always imagine a gang behind them, when in reality they are just a cowardly solo asshole. This jerk is so thick that he brings politics into play everytime he posts because of his signature line. Rightwingers only like politics in their echo chamber.

Havlicek is an angry guy who must have a difficult life or something. His superiority complex is second to none here except for maybe Gamble.

TwoTonCarmine
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 04:33 PM

I wonder whats gonna happen next?

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 05:08 PM

Quote:
Havlicek is an angry guy who must have a difficult life or something. His superiority complex is second to none here except for maybe Gamble.

We break into your regularly sheduled programming for this news flash:

This just in, the guy who has called himself (because no one with ears would do it for him) "rock's last hope" AND conferred himself with the title "musicologist" for a similar reason, is actually saying someone "else" has a superiority complex! People's heads everywhere are beginning to explode from "irony-overload", and local EMT crews are rushing to provide first aid and cleanup! We can't confirm this, but independant sources are telling us that "Al/Scott" will soon be joining "Moon" and a select few others for an intellectual circle jerk. More details as they become available!

-john

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 05:18 PM

Re: the giant spider-in-the-sand thingy:

One thing that needs to be taken into consideration - perhaps more than it has - is that Sky claims to have actually been there and, apparently, spent time up close and personal actually studying/learning about this *particular* phenomenon. This, in my book, makes her POV *much* more credible than anything else offered here on the subject.

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 05:26 PM

Silly question. Of course, there are many things. I have never killed, or been part of a military or parachuted from a plane, nor dived for pearls, nor have I been to India, and I still have a huge bucket list of things remaining to be done. Everyone here has done a lot of stuff, as have I. Nothing really unusual, I decided quite young that I did not want an ordinary boring same-same life, that I wanted a colorful and interesting life and with travel and that what I chose to create.

You all can think this is BS, but you will be wrong. The Nazca Lines are there, you can go see them as well and see how easily thee iron-rich crust can be broken to reveal the whiter sand underneath.

And it appears that Mr. Ismellelephant actually gets that racism underlies the assumption of white moderns that pre-Spanish Peruvians and Meso-Americans could not have built the monuments of their cultures, but had to have intervention by space aliens.

I, for one, not only appreciate your input on this subject - but I happen to agree with you and take interest on many points that you make across many subjects.

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Ismellelephant
A bit more

Yep - that's interesting... relative to Sky's POV.

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Blue Roots

One thing that needs to be taken into consideration - perhaps more than it has - is that Sky claims to have actually been there and, apparently, spent time up close and personal actually studying/learning about this *particular* phenomenon. This, in my book, makes her POV *much* more credible than anything else offered here on the subject.

Not be argumentative (really!), but why? Is she a recognized expert on artifacts, ancient civilzations, archaeology, sociology, psychology or in any other related field? I've seen volcanoes close up, but know next to nothing about them. I've been to hospitals many times and have doctors as friends and clients, I even have an undergraduate degree in biology...but know very little about medicine.

I've not been to Nazca as she says she has, so I would defer to how she says the natives (or at least some of those she has spoken with) feel about all this. I have no idea who created the lines or how, but I seriously doubt that many (most!?) who believe they were created by aliens do so out of racism.

-john

ulank
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 05:52 PM

Actually, Steve, it's completely true that white inhabitants in space hurl derogatory, racially charged slurs just the same as their cretin counterparts do here on earth. I've personally witnessed this outside a cafe in the Tharsis region of Mars when a white immigrant belittled a technicolor native. It's even worse in the elite communities surrounding Eridania Lake, inhabited by the Martian equivalent of the United States' own GOP-taliban scum. There, the natives are only allowed to purchase Mars bars and Milky Way chocolate bars; if they so much as attempt to purchase a Payday candy bar they face fines and even imprisonment, for "There ain't no payday for space negroes," as the saying goes among the vile Eridanians. So, Steve, while you may indicate such a claim is inappropriate, it is still widely used and thus justified as appropriate in space, just the same as it is here among the GOP-Taliban scum and their vile ilk. You would know this if you yourself didn't have the genetic predisposition for racism like all white men.

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 06:06 PM

I here you, John.

I am not making any claim as to her expertise on the subject in an absolute sense - only relative to what I know about it and relative to what others *here* seem to know/think about it. She comes off as credible to a degree - just by the way she writes and expresses herself. She could very well be full of shit - but given my options after reading through this thread - her point of view is as credible if not more than anyone else's... and I say that relative to the flogging that she's taken after expressing her experience (again, *considerable* relative to everyone else's, apparently) with the subject.

Surely, you see what I'm saying. An astronaut may not know all there is to know about the moon, falling well short of an expert on the subject. But I will take their first hand experience having been there seriously into consideration relative to some dunce who doesn't know fuck on the subject.

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 06:12 PM

It's seems pretty plausible that a considerable number of natives wouldn't take kindly to the somewhat accepted viewpoint in many circle that this was ET phenomena - and not man made. This begins to be a considerable point of view for me given that I first saw those lines on television in the mid seventies and my first thought whenever I see them ever since is along the lines of: "hey, there's those south american drawings in the desert that some believe could only be made by ET's".

I also think that the word "racist" or "racism" comes to most as immediately emotionally charged. This goes along the lines of something that I've been pointing out for years - "people choose to be offended". We sometimes often react instead of act. I think this happens with few exceptions in our society when those terms are thrown out.

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 06:29 PM

Quote:
I first saw those lines on television in the mid seventies and my first thought whenever I see them ever since is along the lines of: "hey, there's those south american drawings in the desert that some believe could only be made by ET's".
lol......yep....that goddamn Leonard Nemoy must be a racist for suggesting that it might have been aliens on his 'In Search Of' episode on the subject....... ;\)

And those who think the pyramids were built by aliens.....racist.....all of them......it has nothing to do with humans just not understanding how other humans could achieve such things......its all about everyone being racist.

What you might be missing Blue is that 'racism' and 'misogyny' are sky's go to comments on just about everything.....those words start to lose meaning (to me any way) the more they are thrown around. After all, I have not seen a single person her suggest that Nazcan folks are incapable of making the lines because they are not white? Did you see anyone or even get the feeling that anyone here was suggesting that?

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 06:48 PM

The ridiculous part is that skytard will turn ANY inane topic into something about politics and involve racism. Like clockwork......any fucking topic.....every single time.

It's just stupid.

SteveW
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 06:49 PM

This is going it too many directions to follow..... cya \:\)

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 06:53 PM

I hear you.

It's pretty well been established that many of you think that she (I assume it's a her) is overly sensitive in certain areas. Her speculation as to others "misogyny"? I'd have to see the context to say whether I agree or not. I agree with her that racism is rampant - but it's not a black and white thing (absolutely no pun intended). It's mostly a matter of degree and subtlety. I struggle myself with old thought patterns that no longer serve me - or anyone else for that matter. The important thing is to see it, catch it, acknowledge it, correct it if needed, and then keep moving forward.

Here's the thing - I tend to agree with her in a general sense that a HUGE portion of humans are relatively "un-evolved" and lack "consciousness" relative to their/our potential. I know this because I am one of them.

She's a truth teller. A mirror. Sometimes what we see/hear is uncomfortable and inconvenient. True, nonetheless.

By the way Infinitymobile... have you read Vincent Bugliosi's "The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder" yet? I ask because you have clearly expressed an interest in knowing the how's and why's of many folks accusations of wrong doing - and that one book spells it out in crystal clear terms from one of the most successful trial lawyers of our time. If you haven't - you should really read it.

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 07:07 PM

I've not been to Nazca as she says she has, so I would defer to how she says the natives (or at least some of those she has spoken with) feel about all this. I have no idea who created the lines or how, but I seriously doubt that many (most!?) who believe they were created by aliens do so out of racism.

-john

I don't think that she initially was saying that they *are* racist - just that the natives view others as racist for making an assumption. Again, not far fetched. That she assumes a position that some might be racist for assuming that these native's ancestors couldn't pull this off - also not far fetched.

mrsinical
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 07:08 PM

Jeesh... If only I'd have known what controversy this post was going to instigate - I wouldn't have posted.

However, like I tried to explain earlier - there may be those who are making alien connections for other reasons than the facts on which I refer my statement of "possibly".

I am referring to how these indigenous people, themselves, have somewhat recently re-confirmed that their long heritage, be it song, dance ritual costumes, writings, drawings or sculpture artifacts - from their own ancestors - some of which quite blatantly depict their "Gods" descending from the sky. Several of the artifacts look like modern aircraft and beyond...

I'm just saying, how could they conceive these particular and detailed artifact "designs" so long ago? The ones I'm referring to do not resemble birds or anything in their natural environment at all. And it just seems to be too coincidental for these particular artifact designs to come from pure imagination.

I have no intention of suggesting this POV comes from an intelligence level of the Nazca people at any point in time what so ever - I'm merely pointing out that their heritage suggests that something out of the ordinary took place a long time ago.

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 07:11 PM

Fair enough. ; - )

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 07:58 PM

Quote:

-john

I don't think that she initially was saying that they *are* racist - just that the natives view others as racist for making an assumption. Again, not far fetched. That she assumes a position that some might be racist for assuming that these native's ancestors couldn't pull this off - also not far fetched.

Quote:
Do not denigrate the ancient peoples of South America by ascribing their works to space aliens.

In her very first post, she has preemptively ascribed negative intent to those who see the lines as potentially being the work of aliens. Again, those ideas might be coming from people who just don't see how ancients got things done without technological advantages...and probably are. It is way "far off" to assume racist motives or POV in all this, and she certainly has cast herself as being of that mindset in agreement with the natives right from the start.

Modern people from all over the globe and all kinds of cultures look at the ancient marvels and most often simply can not accept that these things were created using skill, intelligence, craft and muscle alone. This should be easy to understand as simple wonder and not racism, these creations are difficult to believe. ***Here's the kicker (and a little twist on the old philosophy 101 test), imagine some ancient culture untouched by modern civilization suddenly seeing jet aircraft, modern skyscrapers, computers etc. There's a good possibility those "racists" would think these things the creations of gods (a suitable analog for aliens).

Furthermore, when Steve laughed at her "racism" charges, she went a lot further into explaining how she felt and it was most definitely that racism is at the bottom of all this Dave. She also cites some pretty major "red-herrings" in a weak attempt to support her point of view:

Quote:
Well, you notice that these "space aliens" must have built it" do not say that the fabulous structures built in Europe by ancient white people were made by space aliens. I do not hear them saying, Oh, space aliens had to have built the cathedral at Salisbury, the natives could not have built such a marvel.

She's actually quite wrong about all that. First off, Salisbury Cathedral is not an "ancient structure" predating documentation. We know who built it and how they built it, there's no mystery there, and the very hand-crafts that produced the structure are still practiced today. On the other hand, there are inexplicably large/precise/perfect/ancient structures all over the world in Europe, Asia, North and South America that many believe were either built or inspired to be built by aliens...including the Pyramids. It's difficult for many people to fathom how ancients could have built these simply because of their scale and perfection, that's not racism and it's often aimed at artifacts created by so-called "white people".

I don't know this Skywave person, but she does one helluva lot of conclusion-jumping. More to the point, the absolutely intellectually and morally bankrupt practice of tossing around
"racism" charges at the drop of a hat is really weak. It also does a huge disservice in that "REAL" racism might just be overlooked as just another empty charge. I think the alien-conspiracy-people are about as wrong as could be, but I don't see racism in their beliefs at all.

-john

slotz
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 08:23 PM

My son got married in Peru. We went to Cuzco and spent a week there exploring the incredible Incan ruins including Machu Picchu..
I do remember our tour guide pointing out the ancient "whites only" signs.

Hahahaha!!!!!!

TwoTonCarmine
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 08:37 PM

Well the thread is just going to go downhill now with Assoholeick relentless spin of how he is never, ever wrong. The guy is odd and I know odd first hand.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 09:32 PM

Sky being there didn't teach her that everybody who doesn't see things her way is a racist.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 09:34 PM

-john

Wrong, she wasn't talking about what they thought at first, she was talking about what some of US think.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 09:41 PM

Quote:

This just in, the guy who has called himself (because no one with ears would do it for him) "rock's last hope" AND conferred himself with the title "musicologist" for a similar reason, is actually saying someone "else" has a superiority complex! People's heads everywhere are beginning to explode from "irony-overload", and local EMT crews are rushing to provide first aid and cleanup! We can't confirm this, but independant sources are telling us that "Al/Scott" will soon be joining "Moon" and a select few others for an intellectual circle jerk. More details as they become available!

-john

That actually was the regularly scheduled programming cause you make the same dumb points every time. Again, when you take a position as a musicologist, it's not yourself that gives you the title, it's actually part of doing the work. When you work as a musicologist, which most likely isn't going to happen since you consider Huey Lewis and Journey RRHOF material haha, then you can call yourself one.

and again, I've never called myself rock's last hope. It's the last rock hope. and something I used in promotion isn't the same as going around telling people nothing they say matters. Compared to you, you perennial snot, I'm down-to-earth. Get it, me human, you uppity dipshit.

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 09:45 PM

I hear you, John.

There is a practical aspect of conversation that is pretty common, IMO. Where through experience we take away what we generally determine to be the "points" that we pick up through the exchange of ideas and information. We deem through our own filters the more interesting or "valuable" pieces of info. In that sense, even after we have dissected the fuck out of this, I'm left only with a slightly new general idea about this subject given the comments and information provided here so far, particularly, in this thread's case, Sky's. That new take of mine has little to nothing, naturally, to do with HER opinions necessarily - but the info about her experience there provided anecdotal info that makes sense to me. I "buy" it. She may hold an opinion that is broad and sweeping (not to mention way the fuck off base and/or not true) - but I'm not one to miss that if there is any truth to the anecdotal info she shared... there is no doubt subtlety and variation in the attitudes there that she was sharing. Of course there is - there has to be. "Racism" as well as other behaviors and attitudes point often involve subtlety and matters of degrees.

Anyway... so, yeah.... that. ;\) I'll tell my wife about this conversation later and I promise to do my best not to mis-characterize anything that anyone said here today.

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 10:14 PM

My drummer and song writing partner of over a decade is 1/2 Peruvian (his mother was born and raised there and is 100% Peruvian) and after he went to Machu Pichu for the first time, he expressed disbelief in how something like that could have been built by HIS ancient ancestors and the technology available at the time.......I guess he is racist against his own people?????

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 10:23 PM

I hear you, John.

There is a practical aspect of conversation that is pretty common, IMO. Where through experience we take away what we generally determine to be the "points" that we pick up through the exchange of ideas and information. We deem through our own filters the more interesting or "valuable" pieces of info. In that sense, even after we have dissected the fuck out of this, I'm left only with a slightly new general idea about this subject given the comments and information provided here so far, particularly, in this thread's case, Sky's. That new take of mine has little to nothing, naturally, to do with HER opinions necessarily - but the info about her experience there provided anecdotal info that makes sense to me. I "buy" it. She may hold an opinion that is broad and sweeping (not to mention way the fuck off base and/or not true) - but I'm not one to miss that if there is any truth to the anecdotal info she shared... there is no doubt subtlety and variation in the attitudes there that she was sharing. Of course there is - there has to be. "Racism" as well as other behaviors and attitudes point often involve subtlety and matters of degrees.

Anyway... so, yeah.... that. ;\) I'll tell my wife about this conversation later and I promise to do my best not to mis-characterize anything that anyone said here today.

You know what Dave?...the whole "racism" thing never occurred to me. In that sense, she has sort of "enlightened me" as well. Of course, we're all just accepting the fact that she has in fact "been there" at face value. Pretty much all of us and anyone who's been on the internet for at least a day \:D realize that people claim all sorts of things on the WWW. Still, I'll accept that she HAS been there and spoken to some natives about this. I still think the racism thing is dumb and maybe even really harmful, even though I know full well that all the various "isms" can be couched in nuance and hard to decipher.

On another note, Al...you continue to prove to the world what a dipshit you are, so please whatever you do DON'T STOP! \:D

-john

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
01/07/14 10:46 PM

Quote:
By the way Infinitymobile... have you read Vincent Bugliosi's "The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder" yet? I ask because you have clearly expressed an interest in knowing the how's and why's of many folks accusations of wrong doing - and that one book spells it out in crystal clear terms from one of the most successful trial lawyers of our time. If you haven't - you should really read it.
I have not read it. Can you give me the cliff notes or some sort of summary?

Ismellelephant
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/07/14 11:33 PM

On another note, Al...you continue to prove to the world what a dipshit you are, so please whatever you do DON'T STOP! \:D

-john

What about me?

Doug C
(Planeteer)
01/08/14 12:06 AM

Quote:
My drummer and song writing partner of over a decade is 1/2 Peruvian (his mother was born and raised there and is 100% Peruvian) and after he went to Machu Pichu for the first time, he expressed disbelief in how something like that could have been built by HIS ancient ancestors and the technology available at the time.......I guess he is racist against his own people?????

Another self hating Peruvian. Damn.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/08/14 12:58 AM

I hear you, John.

You know what Dave?...the whole "racism" thing never occurred to me. In that sense, she has sort of "enlightened me" as well. Of course, we're all just accepting the fact that she has in fact "been there" at face value. Pretty much all of us and anyone who's been on the internet for at least a day \:D realize that people claim all sorts of things on the WWW. Still, I'll accept that she HAS been there and spoken to some natives about this. I still think the racism thing is dumb and maybe even really harmful, even though I know full well that all the various "isms" can be couched in nuance and hard to decipher.

-john

If a snotty snot like you approved of me, I'd be worried.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/08/14 02:35 AM

-john

mwhahahaha! \:D

watta phuckin Prima Donna! lol

MadGuitrst
(Planeteer)
01/08/14 03:48 AM

I think Blue Roots has a crush and Al is smitten.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/08/14 03:49 AM

with who ?

NOK
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/08/14 03:54 AM

smelly's feeling left out since silvy moved so far away.. maybe you all could get some chemistry going or something

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/08/14 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Infinitymobile
 Quote:
I have not read it. Can you give me the cliff notes or some sort of summary?

No. \:D

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
01/09/14 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Blue Root
you should really read it
No \:D

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/09/14 12:05 PM

You know what is sad, infinity, is that your half Peruvian drummer has internalized the view of the racists that his ancestors could not have built Machu Picchu. The fact is that yes, his ancestors did build it, archaeologists know it, historians know it, there is no question but that it was built by the people of the remarkable Inca empire. Peruvian academics and teachers and historians want the young people of Peru to know what their ancestors did, to have a sense of pride in those achievements and about the people they are descended from. Instead the children of Peru too often are fed the racist message that their brown Indian skin makes them inferior and that space aliens, and not the Inca, built the wonders of Peru.

Peru is the only country in the Western hemisphere where the native peoples, the Indians, outnumber the Spaniards (who looted the country of its gold, silver, copper and enslaved the Indians). Racism is institutional and rampant in Peru, with the country having been largely run by light-skinned Spanish descendants who make up the wealthy upper class. The mestizos (mixed Spanish and Indian) are lower class and the lowest and most impoverished class of all are the native American Indian Peruvians, the Quechua and the Quero and Mochi and other native people.

And I am sorry, but anyone who uses a Peruvian drummer as an arbiter of reality on Inca history, archaeology, stone masonry and construction does not have adequate information on which to base an opinion. I would suggest that you read books, and if possible, go there and see for yourself.

Yes, I have been in Nazca. And to Machu Picchu. And around Peru. I will never forget the plane ride to photograph the Nazca lines. The Third Worldish excuse for an airport had a total of two single-engine four-seater planes; when the Peruvian pilot learned that one of the passengers was afraid of flying in small planes, he undertook the most insane aerial acrobatics imaginable, a maniacal grin on his face the whole time we were rolling and looping and diving toward the ground and he took it as a great triumph when the passenger screamed bloody murder.

As for those who dismiss the Peruvian archeological wonders as the work of space aliens, sorry, but that stuff is pseudo-science, superstition, science illiteracy, on par with nervously clutching crystals while consulting horoscopes, an absence of critical faculties. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light science sheds on the darkness trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir. And darkness and superstition fill the world. (Paraphrase of Carl Sagan)

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/09/14 12:18 PM

Quote:
skywild: As for those who dismiss the Peruvian archeological wonders as the work of space aliens, sorry, but that stuff is pseudo-science, superstition, science illiteracy

so is believing that people who read too many books by Von Daniken are racists.

anyway,

anyone who has studied the subject knows that the sand n*gg*rs in Egypt had help from space n*gg*rs to build the pyramids.

everyone knows that! lol

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
01/09/14 03:49 PM

Quote:
You know what is sad, infinity.......
yes......your condescending 'I know everything and only what I think can possibly be right' approach to damn near everything.....now get on to the next two tricks of your three trick show and call me an old white guy and a misogynist and lets move on to the next topic that you know everything about.......so you can do it all again.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/09/14 04:44 PM

Many scientists think aliens exist, so what do you think about that, Miss Smarty Pants? \:D

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/19..._ref=weird-news

Besides, how dare you demean Carl Sagan.

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
01/09/14 05:37 PM

Quote:
Many scientists think aliens exist, so what do you think about that, Miss Smarty Pants?

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/09/14 08:45 PM

Actually, moontan, we KNOW that Egyptians built the pyramids. You are aware that various work crews carved their names into the stones.

And actually, I know a lot of scientists, mostly physicists and biologists, and none believe in space aliens. But they will speculate on numerical probabilities and other aspects of interstellar travel and the possiblilities of silicon-based lifeforms --- but being scientists, they know the difference between speculation and fact.

Here is what Carl Sagan, a scientist who believed there could be life elsewhere in the universe, said this abotu a space photo showing the earth as a pale blue dot:

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.” ― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/09/14 08:55 PM

yeah, yeah, i know humans built the pyramids, i was just being facetious.

when i was a impressionable teen, i read the Von Daniken books and thought it might be related with aliens.
but i saw a National Geographic documentary or such and changed my mind, quite a long time ago actually.

anyway, back to our regular programming...

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/09/14 11:26 PM

And actually, I know a lot of scientists, mostly physicists and biologists, and none believe in space aliens.

That's not credible. First off I don't believe you know A LOT of scientists. But if you did, what would've caused you discuss aliens with them unless they had an interest in the topic.

Anyway read this:

http://www.vopus.org/en/gnosis/interesting-articles/scientists-believe-that-a

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/513495/20...iens-famous.htm

Stephen Hawkings believes.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/09/14 11:51 PM

@ skywave
----
well yeah,

if your scientist friends don't believe in space aliens it means they believe we are all alone in the universe.

that's even more incredible than space aliens.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 01:50 AM

The view of most of the scientists I know is that it is possible that there are other planets in the universe that contain the pre-conditions for life and possibly life has arisen elsewhere. Or possibly not. We have no way of knowing. They also think that if life arose elsewhere, we have no way of knowing where evolution would lead on those worlds. They also almost uniformly believe that even if there is intelligent and technologically-sophisticated life elsewhere in the universe, there are extreme and quite likely insurmountable difficulties in interstellar travel, that intelligent life would not be interested in backward humanity, and given the geological time type differences in when other civilizations might rise and fall, the chance of an advanced civilization being at a stage to visit Earth when there were modern humans on it highly unlikely.

I would say some believe we are alone in the universe, either actually, or practically, given interstellar distances and other unlikelihoods. Most also point to getting nothing but silence from the universe. And I would say that most put space aliens in the realm of science fiction. And most would say space aliens are only something we can speculate about, and not something that can presently be investigated by the scientific method. We cannot exactly design an experiment to test any hypotheses about the existence of space aliens.

And some would say that it is unfortunate that humanity's beliefs in gods and demons, religions and 72 virgins and space aliens and new agey claptrap and charlatans and that spirulina and topaz crystals heal cancer blind them to the absolute known wondrousness of the lifeforms on this wondrous Earth.

It has turned out that I have a lot of scientists and especially physicists in my life, one of my neighbors is a nuclear physicist, another a physical chemist, another a bigshot biochemist, another teaches science; two of my best friends have physics degrees; and of my two closest assistants, one has a degree in philosophy and physics, the other a degree in astrophysics. So, whenever I have questions about physics, input is in easy range. I live mostly in an educated city with leading companies in biotech and biomedical and software engineering, it is not unusual to know scientists, they are everywhere here.

Vanillagrits
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 02:25 AM

5 out of 4 of the scientists Skywild knows agree with her.

NOK
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/10/14 03:26 AM

somewhere she did say she had a life...

MadGuitrst
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 04:14 AM

Gotta go with SkyWild on this.
Bow to her articulate eloquence, you heathens!

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/10/14 04:18 AM

oh sheesh, what a surprise - you are the most closed-minded about UFOs at the Planet.

Jammer
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 04:50 AM

Yeah Mad, Wild Sky has is right about space aliens. What I COMPLETELY disagree with though is the assumption that those who believe aliens built stuff on earth, hold those beliefs because they are racists. I'm sure that's quite the minority. They're not racists, they're just crazy.

P.S. I love all of my crazy space alien believing Planeteer brethren. Hell, I pray to a Sky Daddy on a regular basis so who am I to judge????

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/10/14 07:03 AM

Quote:
skywave: Most also point to getting nothing but silence from the universe

the reason, once again (for the 5th time now?), why we are getting silence:
 Quote:
"For good measure, in America we have switched from analogue to digital broadcasting and you are going to do the same in Britain very soon," Drake added. "When you do that, your transmissions will become four times fainter because digital uses less power."

"Very soon we will become undetectable," he said. In short, in space no one will hear us at all.

What is true for humans would probably also be true for aliens, who may already have moved to much more efficient methods of TV and radio broadcasting. Trying to find ET from their favourite shows was going to be harder than we thought, Drake said.

----
Gotta go with SkyWild on this.
Bow to her articulate eloquence, you heathens!

there's a parakeet at the pet store who's also quite eloquent. lol
seriously, it's like talking to a bunch of mental midgets when it comes to this subject.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 08:18 AM

moontan, I would say this. None of the scientists that I know believe that Earth is being visited or monitored by space alien or UFO beings.

I do know people who hold very strong beliefs in UFOs and space aliens and that the same have visited or are monitoring the Earth. Notably, none of this group are scientists or science-literate.

I think it is fine to let the imagination create and carry us to worlds that never were. And while I would agree that it is possible that life exists elsewhere in the cosmos, my attitude is kind of So what? It makes no difference to here and now and the overwhelming likelihood is that if such life exists, we will never know or have contact. Instead of expending the life and energy I have on trying to contact or filling my head with space alien stuff, I choose to use the energy instead to improve things for lifeforms on our home planet.

Here is a quote you might appreciate: "Whenever you receive a letter from a creditor, write fifty lines upon some extra-terrestrial subject and you will be saved." ---Charles Baudelaire

(Can also be used when you need a psychological deferment.)

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/10/14 08:27 AM

And while I would agree that it is possible that life exists elsewhere in the cosmos, my attitude is kind of So what?

So you've basically contradicted your argument there.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/10/14 08:28 AM

moontan, I would say this. None of the scientists that I know believe that Earth is being visited or monitored by space alien or UFO beings.

scientists are people who do things like sending a space telescope worth billions of $ in orbit with a flawed mirror.
they do things like creating a white elephant like the Shuttle.

same scientists hundreds of years ago who said the Earth was at the centre of the universe.
same scientists 300 years ago who said a person would disintegrate if he/she were to travel at a speed above 40 mph.
same scientists who might concede we are not alone but think aliens are powering their space ships with coal or diesel, and therefore, can't travel between the stars. lol

scientists have their own agenda to promote, which consist mainly of getting themselves a steady paycheck.
so you'll excuse me if i take what scientists have to say with a pinch of salt.

do you know how science evolve and progress?
one funeral at a time. lol

fabulousthunderbird
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 12:45 PM

Don't forget about the man-made climate change hoax.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/10/14 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: fabulousthunderbird

nice try but no cigar.

anyway, the subject is UFO and things alien-related.
try to stay focused.

mrsinical
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 05:58 PM

Here's a good potential for a paradox, if you consider time travel a possibility in the future.
Think of the modern shaped airplane sculpture artifacts believed to have been made by the Nazca people over a thousand years ago.
If these ancient people did in fact see these objects - and therefore sculpted what they saw-
By dismissing the possibility that Aliens needing to conserve spacecraft fuel and used our current known aeronautic airplane designed machines to travel on the planet itself - opens up the possibility of future humans possibly discovering time travel at some point and gong back in time.
However, if future humans went back in time - they would either have had to take an airplane back with them - or somehow manufactured aeronautical aircraft with available resources at that time. If time travel is considered a possibility, I could envision a knowledgeable human possibly constructing such a device with available resources. (Maybe transporting items as large as a small airplane is/or will be possible - or even transporting some small machinery to build with / IE Makita drill set...LOL)
Furthermore, if much of our potential current and future knowledge came from these "odd" findings left by ancient people who described what they saw - how did we get the knowledge to invent time travel "before" we went back in time?

The widely accepted safe, sane possibility is that we are simply on an evolutionary trek of obtained knowledge that constantly leads to bigger and better technology by means of simple trial and error discovery.

BTW - I recently saw a video clip that claims the powers that be have a satellite(s) orbiting nearer to the sun - and they are blasting high power lasers into the corona to "see what happens" or to find out "what it's made of".
True, ???
However, the female commentator describing the obvious "laterally straight line solar flares" that looked to be in a direct, straight line across the sun - to be proof that a powerful laser was shot into the sun. After a few minutes - these strange "straight line" solar flares dissipated and the sun "repaired" itself.
I wouldn't put it beyond the common sense of the PTB to attempt such a potentially catastrophic experiment.
Just imagine if this is true and these "experiments" damage or even destroy our life giving sun!

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/10/14 06:15 PM

interesting proposition mrsinical but i don't think travel backward in time is possible.

what is done is done.

mrsinical
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 06:38 PM

Just throwi'n em out there to "see what happens"...

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 07:53 PM

We already know what the sun is made of. And time travel, too, is the stuff of imagination and science fiction.

mrsinical
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 09:04 PM

Ah, but the sun is actually a transformer, well, more precisely, a converter - not an "atomic reactor".

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 09:22 PM

Quote:
I could envision a knowledgeable human possibly constructing such a device with available resources.
I think one of sky's scientist neighbors is working on this as we speak........

ulank
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 09:24 PM

Sun big.

Laser small.

Sun win.

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ulank
Sun big.

Laser small.

Sun win.

Infinitymobile
(Planeteer)
01/10/14 11:06 PM

Quote:
And time travel, too, is the stuff of imagination and science fiction.
sooooooooo.....you don't have a scientist neighbor that is working on that? I could have sworn I read that some where?????

fabulousthunderbird
(Planeteer)
01/11/14 12:13 AM

nice try but no cigar.

try to stay focused.

You were talking about all the things scientists have gotten wrong, so my comment was spot-on, dummy.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/11/14 12:26 AM

nice try but no cigar.

try to stay focused.

You were talking about all the things scientists have gotten wrong, so my comment was spot-on, dummy.

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/11/14 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: mrsinical
Ah, but the sun is actually a transformer, well, more precisely, a converter - not an "atomic reactor".

It's not incorrect to call the sun an "atomic reactor" for conversational purposes. The term is vague and many people will think of fission when they hear it, but the sun IS the type of "atomic reactor" we'd like to be able to control...a fusion reactor. "Transformer" and "converter" are no more correct or less vague. Pretty much all chemical reactions involve "transforming" and "converting"...drop some sodium into water (REALLY carefully) and a whole bunch of transforming and converting will happen.

-john

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 12:03 AM

It is somewhat correct to refer to the sun as a natural nuclear fusion reactor.

Calling it an atomic reactor is inaccurate, calling it a transformer is also inaccurate.

The main energetic nuclear reaction in the sun is thermonuclear fusion, in which the nuclei of hydrogen atoms are fused into helium.

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 01:41 AM

Quote:
Calling it an atomic reactor is inaccurate

...which is why I said "for conversational purposes" . People generally understand that a thermonuclear reaction is going on, some also that hydrogen atoms stripped of their electrons (ions) are being fused into helium, but in conversation that all gets lumped together as "atomic". Certainly "atomic reactors" in use are fission reactors.

-john

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 03:51 AM

Well, one would think that modern humans living technological societies would know the difference between atomic and nuclear. All the reactors and basically all the bombs these days are nuclear. For some reason, the general public inaccurately uses the terms "atomic" and "nuclear" interchangeably.

But I suppose this is unsurprising in a country in which religions stands in opposition to science, where near half of all Americans neither believes in (nor understands) the theory of evolution and natural selection. What can one says where one in five American adults think the sun orbits the Earth, only half know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun, and only 59% of adults know that dinosaurs and humans never co-existed (the “Flinstones model of prehistory”).

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/12/14 03:54 AM

well, I still think it was aliens.

SkyWave, if you're such an expert on everything, what's to gain from condescending to a bunch of music people ?

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/12/14 10:22 AM

i think it's always good to keep a sceptical mind, especially when it comes to UFO.

take the story of Ezekiel in the Bible for example.
lots of people think Ezekiel is telling a sighting of a UFO.
it could be very well be.

other things it could be:

* a dream he's retelling
* an early attempt at writing a science fiction story.
* too many intoxicating substances ;\)
* etc

i think people who are fascinated by the subject are usually too quick to jump at the UFO hypothesis.

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 01:34 PM

Quote:
Well, one would think that modern humans living technological societies would know the difference between atomic and nuclear. All the reactors and basically all the bombs these days are nuclear. For some reason, the general public inaccurately uses the terms "atomic" and "nuclear" interchangeably.

Well, people call all tissue "Kleenex" too. I don't see why conversational conventions are a problem or indicative of the fall of western society. No matter.

Quote:
But I suppose this is unsurprising in a country in which religions stands in opposition to science, where near half of all Americans neither believes in (nor understands) the theory of evolution and natural selection. What can one says where one in five American adults think the sun orbits the Earth, only half know how long it takes for the Earth to revolve around the Sun, and only 59% of adults know that dinosaurs and humans never co-existed (the “Flinstones model of prehistory”).

It seems to me that you're getting way out in front of what's going on here. There's a way to talk about technology/science/math etc. that allows for different backgrounds and understandings without dumbing things down. My best professors did that, making sometimes very dry subjects come alive. I've also had wonderful (and enlightening) discussions with people who were experts in their field, but managed to get their points across when I knew very little about the nuts and bolts...and those were often NOT academic subjects (ie: tradespeople taking the time to explain things to me).

Don't get me wrong here, it's important to be precise with language...just not past a certain point, and it doesn't need to be a barrier or indicative of anything more than a person not be "fluent" or even conversant in the subject.

-john

Blue Roots
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 01:46 PM

* a dream he's retelling
* etc

or...

* pointless nonsense that takes up precious time which could be spent doing something meaningful or beneficial

fabulousthunderbird
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 01:54 PM

I used to eat Atomic Fireballs.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/12/14 02:17 PM

fabulousthunderbird
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 02:31 PM

[img]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoJCpHQoiigJHVsmpA9FdUPGWEFo4gxDSav_t6wBBM5VyykYlr[/img]

fabulousthunderbird
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 02:32 PM

Crap.

slotz
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 05:29 PM

i think it's always good to keep a sceptical mind, especially when it comes to UFO.

take the story of Ezekiel in the Bible for example.
lots of people think Ezekiel is telling a sighting of a UFO.
it could be very well be.

* a dream he's retelling
* etc

i think people who are fascinated by the subject are usually too quick to jump at the UFO hypothesis.

This is the main fallacy I have had with the bible.....there is no accounting of intoxicants.
Every time I read a story when an angel appears in a dream, or watching someone ascend into heaven, raise the dead, etc.......I think.....wine, shrooms, poppys, weed.......it certainly was around.
I bet those people were baked 90% of the time....

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 09:47 PM

Quote:
havlicek: I don't see why conversational conventions are a problem or indicative of the fall of western society. No matter. . . . There's a way to talk about technology/science/math etc. that allows for different backgrounds and understandings without dumbing things down. My best professors did that, making sometimes very dry subjects come alive.

Well, I do not know why you would defend ignorance. Do you not get that a citizenry too ignorant to know the difference between "atomic" and "nuclear" will also be too ignorant to to influence energy policy, too ignorant to understand the problems with nuclear power plants, and too ignorant to understand the biological effects of ionizing radiation? When talking about these issues with Europeans, they know the difference between "atomic" and "nuclear" --- why should Americans not be as knowledgeable? No real democracy can exist when the people are ignorant, which is why the USA has devolved into plutocracy.

Further, I gave a simplified explanation about fusion in response to another planeteer's question, which will be repeated here in part. Maybe you will learn something:

"Mike, I know a lot more about fission than fusion. But yes, you are right, the military has been looking into fusion for bombs since the 40s, and the civilian sector has been looking at fusion since the 50s.

The main practical problems with fusion are (1) That it takes more energy to ignite the fusion reaction than the reaction produces; and (2) that controlled fusion reactions so far have been unable to create self-sustaining fusion reactions.

Basically, it takes a lot of energy to force atomic nuclei to fuse. Think: the nucleus has a positive charge from its proton(s) and just like the positive poles of two magnets resist being put together, so do two positively-charged nuclei resist fusing. If you are using more energy to get the fusion to happen than the energy being released by the fusion, obviously fusion makes no financial or energetic sense. Research continues (a great way to get grant money) but no fusion plants operate.

The scientists and citizens focused on protecting life from ionizing radiation are these days mostly focused on dealing with the huge amount of nuclear waste being produced daily. Not only is the waste dangerously radioactive, spent fuel pools and other temporary storage are very vulnerable to attacks. The Union of Concerned Scientists are these days trying to pass legislation requiring that spent fuel rods now in temporary cooling pools at nuclear plants be transferred to on-site dry cask storage. This makes it less likely to get radioactive water into the ground and groundwater and less vulnerable to attack.

Most of the scientists, physicists and astrophysicists I speak with about fusion are skeptical that we will be able to design a fusion plant that will generate more energy than it will consume. They are not optimistic about achieving usable nuclear fusion energy.

/ / / /

And there is further discussion of nuclear power issues in the recent Fukushima thread, if you are interested.

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/12/14 11:11 PM

No need to explain fusion to me, I'm fairly certain I'm easily as well versed on the subject as you are. I'm pretty good with language as well, but you're off the charts on all this. Your assertions concerning Europeans, Democracy and general knowledge would be laughable if they weren't so revealing. Before, I said I didn't know who you were, unfortunately, now I do(and the list grows longer every day).

-john

Ismellelephant
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 12:01 AM

I think I just spotted an Internet Idiot.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/13/14 12:34 AM

Quote:
It seems to me that you're getting way out in front of what's going on here. There's a way to talk about technology/science/math etc. that allows for different backgrounds and understandings without dumbing things down. My best professors did that, making sometimes very dry subjects come alive. Don't get me wrong here, it's important to be precise with language...just not past a certain point....-john

What is your problem, havlicek? First you whine that I was not explaining things simply, so then I showed you the simple explanation of fusion ---- and now you are whining about that??? Get a life.

You may think imprecise language is OK, but no, it is not, especially in science. It denotes ignorance and an ignorant citizenry is unfit for democratic rule. Also, note Mark Twain who said: "The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter — ’tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/13/14 01:16 AM

Who said I have a problem? Well, actually...there is that little thing I have against pompous, poseur, douchebag, wannabes that use the internet to get their alternate identity ya yas out because they most likely can't get anyone to pay attention to their meaningless ramblings in the actual world. You fit that description to a T. Please don't feel offended by what I just said though. Just take it as "one down" on the cosmic scoreboard. I'm sure you'll live to be annoying another day, just not to me! Now go away whoever or whatever you are \:\)

-john

fabulousthunderbird
(Planeteer)
01/13/14 01:35 AM

And there's your dagger.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 01:56 AM

I think it's silly to accuse SkyWave of being an anonymous troll. A lot of people here use handles. I also don't think she's particularly bringing down some sort of abrasive thing that she wouldn't say to you face to face. Now I know her stance that we're pretty much all ignorant is kind of goofy but Havlicek, since you're one of the creepiest people on this forum, you're the last one who should be casting aspersions on her.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/13/14 02:02 AM

Who said I have a problem? Well, actually...there is that little thing I have against pompous, poseur, douchebag, wannabes that use the internet to get their alternate identity ya yas out because they most likely can't get anyone to pay attention to their meaningless ramblings in the actual world. You fit that description to a T. Please don't feel offended by what I just said though. Just take it as "one down" on the cosmic scoreboard. I'm sure you'll live to be annoying another day, just not to me! Now go away whoever or whatever you are \:\) john

Look, you started this by saying that it was perfectly OK to confuse and not know the difference between the meaning of atomic and nuclear. And now that your argument has been shown to be entirely lame and baseless and indefensible, all you can do is attack the person who bested you in argument. Maybe you can get a job on Rush Limbaugh's staff.

You have now gone on record as defending ignorance. Yay! No wonder this will be the Chinese century.

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 02:14 AM

Havlicek is a beacon for ignorance. haha

Ismellelephant
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 02:18 AM

Who said I have a problem? Well, actually...there is that little thing I have against pompous, poseur, douchebag, wannabes that use the internet to get their alternate identity ya yas out because they most likely can't get anyone to pay attention to their meaningless ramblings in the actual world. You fit that description to a T. Please don't feel offended by what I just said though. Just take it as "one down" on the cosmic scoreboard. I'm sure you'll live to be annoying another day, just not to me! Now go away whoever or whatever you are \:\)

-john

HAHA you just described yourself on here perfectly.

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/13/14 01:30 PM

...coming from the one guy who's dumb enough to call himself a "musicologist" but has no idea what a tuner does...and the other that no one pays attention to or takes seriously, this really stings! You three should start a club where you sit around at your weekly meetings and pretend to be stuff.

-john

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 02:57 PM

anyway,

if we can stop the bickering and go back to the topic.

we are already starting to figure out how those things can fly and travel between the stars.

very advanced civilizations would probably be using warp bubbles (Alcubierre drive) and use the energy of the vacuum (Zero Point energy) to power all that.

Memphis Monroe
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 02:58 PM

I’ve seen and read quite a bit about the Nazca lines over the years. I believe it has been pretty-well established by anthropologists and geologists they were employed by the Nazca as maps for finding underground wells and aqueducts.

And while it may be folly to believe this has anything to do with ET, there’s NOTHING racist about the notion or theory itself. People who subscribe to Ancient Astronaut theories tend to believe every race and culture in antiquity were guided or even directly influenced by aliens, and that theory does not exclusively extend only to the Nazca people …..misguided?...maybe!....racist?...no!

TwoTonCarmine
(Planeteer)
01/13/14 03:11 PM

One more bicker
and the other that no one pays attention to or takes seriously, john
Got the gang behind you again I see.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Gretsch 6120
I’ve seen and read quite a bit about the Nazca lines over the years. I believe it has been pretty-well established by anthropologists and geologists they were employed by the Nazca as maps for finding underground wells and aqueducts.

tnx for the input chris.
never heard that one before.

as a teen, another one that i believed was ET related was Easter Island.

turns out it was man-made.
the bad part of the story is that the islanders used every trees on their island to create their statues.

they destroyed their ecosystem in the process and had to resort to cannibalism in the end.

i certainly hope the whole human race doesn't share the same stupid gene. ;\)

Memphis Monroe
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 03:48 PM

What’s fascinating about Easter Island is that the stones used to create those giant monolithic statues are believed to have come from the other side of the island. Mainstream anthropologist assumed they were moved with wooden levers because that was the most “plausible” explanation. The problem is many fold, however, when one considers the following: (1) the monolithic heads are just the top part of the structures we see today, and the rest of the bodies of those statues are buried underground, which means they’re actually much larger than most people even realize. (2) the geological landscape of Easter Island is such that it probably never produced enough trees to support that sort of undertaking. And (3) in order to move those stones that distance would have required a workforce much larger than what is believed to have been the population of Easter Island inhabitants at that time.

We see these types of monolithic and architectural feats all over the world (the Great Pyramid, the Sphinx, the Mayan pyramids, Newgrange (which I’ve visited) Machu Picchu, and many other monoliths throughout central and south America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, etc. Many of these defy our current understanding about what ancient people knew in terms of building techniques, architecture, and astronomy because the sophistication and precision of these structures are of a caliber in many cases our modern techniques in comparison aren’t as accurate or precise. In my view this points to the inescapable fact our ancestors were simply much smarter and more sophisticated than our history books would lead us to believe. Clearly a great deal of human knowledge and history has been lost throughout the annals of human time due to petulance, war, and natural catastrophes. I think I know exactly what type of techniques these ancient cultures used to accomplish these things, but so does our military. That is why the general public will never know what is possible in this lifetime.

Want proof?...here’s your hint:….. Edward Leedskalnin….He’s the only man in recent history to crack the code, and he did.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 03:59 PM

tnx Chris.

i am aware of Coral Castle.

for an alternating viewpoint all one has to do is Google "Coral Castle hoax".
here's one that seems to make sense:
http://www.livescience.com/680-mysterious-coral-castle-fanciful-myth.html

i try to look at both side of the medal but that would take more times than i care to give it these days.

i think it's good to err on the side of scepticism.
otherwise the sky's the limit.

Memphis Monroe
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 05:52 PM

tnx Chris.

i am aware of Coral Castle.

for an alternating viewpoint all one has to do is Google "Coral Castle hoax".
here's one that seems to make sense:
http://www.livescience.com/680-mysterious-coral-castle-fanciful-myth.html

i try to look at both side of the medal but that would take more times than i care to give it these days.

i think it's good to err on the side of scepticism.
otherwise the sky's the limit.

“The Mysterious Coral Castle: A Fanciful Myth” gets some of it right and some of it wrong IME. As a quick preface, my wife and I visited Coral Castle in 07. It’s not a hoax. It exists, and it’s very interesting. Also, I give a guy like Leedskalnin—who actually accomplished this architecture—a million times more credibility than armchair critic on the internet….sorry, but the fact is Leedskalnin was a brilliant man and not known for being a joker or dishonest.

Anyway, the article you linked doesn’t just gloss over some facts related to coral castle, but it downright ignores them. For example, there’s no mention of the fact that in 1936 Leedskalnin moved the castle from Florida City to Miami—a 10 mile distance. This reportedly took him 3 years. It also leaves out the fact that the U.S. Navy attempted to buy Leedskalnin off and acquire patents to what he’d discovered.

wiki source

There’s no doubt he used levers and pullies for some of these tasks, and he did have at least one assistant with the move from Florida City to Miami. The Coral Castle tour actually shows photographs of him using levers for some tasks; yet, when you see the enormousness of those coral stones you realize this would have been a major undertaking for a crew of people today, let alone in the 1920s and 30s. Leedskalnin had people attempting to spy on him at the time, while he worked at night. It was written about how strange it was that no men were seen coming or going from the worksite, but a low frequency hum was often reported. Nonetheless, there is no evidence and no indication whatsoever there was a workforce involved, and even if there were, the task would still be amazing. But the fact is Leedskalnin was nearly destitute and could have never afforded a workforce of that level.

So, there’s no hoax here. The article/s take the position that because the Coral Castle can’t be explained in conventional terms--a structure that can be visited and observed in plain daylight and is observed via public tours daily--then it must therefore be “a hoax.” But I have to apply a little commonsense here. If a highly educated dude in the 1920s, who was all of 100 lbs, is known to have vigorously studied ancient Egyptian manuscripts for many year one day says “I figured it out,” and then turns around to construct something like the Coral Castle I tend to believe it is what it appears to be. Simple as that! It is a really amazing place, and no matter how anyone chooses to slice it, what Leedskalnin accomplished was extraordinary by any standards. ….There will always be someone or some group of people trying to poo poo the accomplishments of others…but these so-called “skeptics” aren’t even getting the facts straight to begin with—not to mention they themselves aren’t even accomplished at writing or scholarly deconstruction. So, I attempt to view all things with neither skepticism nor optimism; rather, I prefer pure the employment of objectivism.

Is Coral Castle a hoax?...Absolutely not!...Is it a supernatural feat?...no!....Is it the product of some lost knowledge….The architect claimed it was, and he proved his point IMO….Unless someone physically moves or destroys that structure it will be there for thousands of years to come....maybe under water, but it'll be there.

CJ

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 07:29 PM

...coming from the one guy who's dumb enough to call himself a "musicologist" but has no idea what a tuner does...and the other that no one pays attention to or takes seriously, this really stings! You three should start a club where you sit around at your weekly meetings and pretend to be stuff.

-john

You don't have to pretend to be stuffed, it happened again on this thread.

havlicek
(Planeteer)
01/13/14 08:59 PM

Hey listen here chubby, I'm starting to think you have a man-crush on me. All this attention would make me blush if it were coming from like...a person!

-john

AL
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/13/14 09:10 PM

You've sought out my posts for a long time, it's no surprise whatsoever that a self-consumed egomaniac like yourself has no self-awareness of that evident truth.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/14/14 02:40 AM

Well, Gretsch is incorrect in stating that "it has been pretty-well established by anthropologists and geologists they were employed by the Nazca as maps for finding underground wells and aqueducts."

Hogwash. The Nazca Desert is one of the driest places on Earth, there are no underground wells or aqueducts. It rains there like an inch every 100 years. That is why the lines are still there . . . in any ordinary climate, rain and weather would have washed them away. That is why archaeologists were able to find well-preserved Nazcan textiles, cloth usually rots in a century or two or less, but not in the driest of deserts.

Most scholars now believe that the Nazca Lines were sacred pathways which Nasca people followed during the course of their ancient rituals and in shamanic training.

Walking the lines under the influence of the remarkable enthogenic cactus that grows in a nearby region can open the doors of perception to connect one with the ways the Nazcans related to the geoglyphs and what their purpose and meaning was.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/14/14 05:02 AM

Most scholars now believe that the Nazca Lines were sacred pathways which Nasca people followed during the course of their ancient rituals and in shamanic training.

Walking the lines under the influence of the remarkable enthogenic cactus that grows in a nearby region can open the doors of perception...

i'm in!
where do i sign up? ;\)

anyway, it still raises an interesting question:
why go to all this trouble for something that can only be seen from the air?

Jammer
(Planeteer)
01/14/14 07:40 AM

Well, Gretsch is incorrect in stating that "it has been pretty-well established by anthropologists and geologists they were employed by the Nazca as maps for finding underground wells and aqueducts."

Hogwash.

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/14/14 08:44 AM

just finished the Wikipedia entry about his topic.

seems like nobody has a clue to the purpose of those things.

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
01/14/14 11:35 AM

just finished the Wikipedia entry about his topic.

seems like nobody has a clue to the purpose of those things.

Those who know what the Nazca lines and geoglyphs are about are not going to write a blurb on wikipedia, nor are the lineage holders and wisdom keepers of the Nazcan peoples going to give away their secrets to moderns who want to satisfy some idle curiosity.

The Indian peoples who live in the are have a clue, know why the lines and figures were made, what they are for and how they are used. But think: Why would you expect native Americans to share their knowledge with the conquistadores, the oppressors, the capitalists and the white folks who insist that space aliens made the lines and figures? What makes moderns think they are entitled to ancient native knowledge when they do not respect the Indians, do not have a sense of the sacred, do not love the land and the world, and do not want to undergo the sacrifices or trials that lead to knowledge.

The whites came to Peru and South America and stole the land, the gold, the mineral wealth and made slaves of the native American peoples. The gold and silver stolen from the Inca empire now decorate the churches of Spain and Europe. The whites took everything of value, destroyed so much, smashed emeralds looking for hidden wealth, trashed Sacsayhuaman and brought the brutal Inquisition --- throughout Peru, one can see the remaining foundation stones of remarkable structures destroyed by the Spaniards. The whites took everything and left the people only smallpox and disease and slavery. Eduardo Galeano has written eloquently of the crimes against the native peoples in The Open Veins of Latin America, and Memory of Fire.

The descendants of the Inca think of themselves as the People of the Corn, they were on their continent long before the Europeans, they see Euro Culture as temporary and insane and bent on destruction, and figure that long after the Euro moderns the machine people, are gone, the People of the Corn will continue on.

So, why do you suppose some moderns make crop circles whose designs are only visible from the air?

fabulousthunderbird
(Planeteer)
01/14/14 12:18 PM

Because they could.

Memphis Monroe
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/14/14 02:10 PM

Quote:

Hogwash. The Nazca Desert is one of the driest places on Earth, there are no underground wells or aqueducts.

Not to “rain” on your parade, but you’re simply wrong on this fact. I’ll refer you to 23.61 of this Discovery Channel documentary where the researchers actually visit a subterranean aqueduct right there in Nazca….but far be it for me to challenge your expertise….

CJ

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/14/14 03:49 PM

tnx gretch for the video.

i watched most of it and the documentary seems to go in the possibility that the lines were mostly for religious ceremonies and whatnot.

the reason of course why the symbols are better seen from the air is that they were drawn for the benefits of the gods and not peasants. ;\)

we can't totally exclude that those gods were ET-related but there seems to be no evidences for it in this particular case.
if we had at least the local natives going: "yeah, dude, those were made by our ancestors hundreds of years ago for the sky-people who landed and..."

but we don't even have that.

Memphis Monroe
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/14/14 04:08 PM

tnx gretch for the video.

i watched most of it and the documentary seems to go in the possibility that the lines were mostly for religious ceremonies and whatnot.

the reason of course why the symbols are better seen from the air is that they were drawn for the benefits of the gods and not peasants. ;\)

we can't totally exclude that those gods were ET-related but there seems to be no evidences for it in this particular case.
if we had at least the local natives going: "yeah, dude, those were made by our ancestors hundreds of years ago for the sky-people who landed and..."

but we don't even have that.

Concur!...I redact the “pretty well established” comment…that was based on some of the older research that was heading in the “witch water” direction circa the early 2000s….there’s no doubt and really never has been that religious ceremonial aspects of this were involved…consider that Shaman believe they regularly go out of body when in their often substance-induced trances….the lines may have something to do with that (i.e., a metaphysical map to be viewed from above)….There are also theories that hold some ancient cultures, such as the Nazca, used hot air balloons…it may be a combination of things, but I don’t personally believe it has anything to do with ETs….just don’t see the evidence for that..

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/14/14 04:11 PM

Quote:
gretch: consider that Shaman believe they regularly go out of body when in their often substance-induced trances….the lines may have something to do with that (i.e., a metaphysical map to be viewed from above)

i was kinda hoping Skywild would've found and took that bait (before you mentioned it) and run with it.

oh well. ;\)

Scottyjr
(Planeteer)
01/16/14 12:02 AM

moontan
(Loquacious Planeteer)
01/16/14 12:10 AM

bwahahahahah! \:D

fabulousthunderbird
(Planeteer)