Doughboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/16/19 03:09 AM
Fishing for the first time this year today....

....I didn’t even feel like going....but forced myself. Ten seconds after I shoved out in my kayak....I was in heaven. I never had a bite for the first hour. I didn’t even care. It was just beautiful. So relaxing. Then, I could a bass, then a pike, then a huge crappie, then a huge bass, and a couple more pike. It was so much fun. I threw them all back to fight another day. It’s not even bass season here for another week.

By huge bass: 17 inches.
By huge crappie: 12 inches

Fun day.

motown59
(Planeteer)
05/16/19 03:52 AM
Re: Fishing for the first time this year today....

Otsego lake?

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
05/16/19 04:17 AM

Doughboy, why do you want to hurt innocent fish? Hooks hurt them, fish have nerves in their mouths. And a third of fish that are hooked and then released die of their injuries (infection often sets in the open wound left by the hook).

Why not just photograph the fish, or let them come up to you to pet them (I have had fish do this, really).

https://www.spiegel.de/international/zei...s-a-749956.html

Imagine that you’re a fish, darting around your watery home and finding tasty snacks to enjoy. Now, imagine that you bite into one of those snacks and suddenly feel searing pain as a sharp hook rips through your mouth. You fight against it, but the painful hook is pulling you up toward the surface of the water. You struggle until every last ounce of your strength is gone. You’re then hoisted into the air, away from the safety of the deep water, and that’s when you begin to suffocate.

This is why fishing is not harmless family fun. Fish have nerves, just like cats, dogs, and humans, so they can feel pain. Hooked fish endure not only physical pain but also terror. When they’re removed from their natural environment, they start to suffocate. Just imagine the horrible feeling you’d experience if you were trapped underwater. It’s the same for them on land! Once out of the water, fish’s gills often collapse and their swim bladders can even rupture because of the sudden change in pressure.

The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Washington studies decompression sickness in fish. Researchers found that fish suffer from decompression sickness far more than humans do. “It’s like the bends on steroids,” said Dr. Brett Pflugrath. “You tend to see more extreme injuries from it.” In addition to ruptured swim bladders, fish can sustain other internal injuries, including ruptured blood vessels or bulging stomachs that protrude from their mouths. Fish who are caught and released often still die from such injuries.

Doughboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/16/19 07:25 PM

Ugh ... thank you. Why would I want one hobby that I could enjoy? These are shallow lakes so they don’t have the decompression deal.

I normally would fry them and eat them, so they won’t have any problems later. I could just buy fish from the store to eat, BUT THOSE FISH HAVE BEEN PHUCKED OVER TOO. I THOUGHT I DID GOOD TO RELEASE THEM BUT NEXT WEEK THEY WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANY EXTENDED MEDICAL CONDITIONS..

Manuka Lake Kel. You ever fish there?

Doughboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/16/19 07:28 PM

And buy the way, any fish I keep is saving the lives of hundreds of smaller fish.

JazAddict
(Planeteer)
05/16/19 10:45 PM

Nice haul.

I figure the hook is small potatoes compared to the filet knife

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
05/16/19 11:36 PM

Doughboy, can't you just lay back in the boat and float around drinking beer and grooving on the sun shine??? Less work than trying to kill fishies. And if you think fishing is hard and you want a challenge, try photographing fish!

It appears in the near future there is going to be lab-grown animal flesh and then people can eat meat and fish flesh without having to kill any creature.

JazAddict
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 02:14 AM

Fuck that. I wanna hunt....and gather... Yah, that's the ticket

Doughboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 02:18 AM

I don’t drink beer when I fish. I do photograph the fish. Once there is a few on the stringer I snap there picture. McDonalds sell a billion fish sandwiches a year. The twenty I take home this year shouldn’t hurt them too much.

I do appreciate your love of life and all, and your take on the whole thing. But...,I like fishing.

JazAddict
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 08:51 AM

WHAT?
Since WHEN do you type out measured logical responses? Where's the hollering for "moderator!" and lots of exclamation points after curse words?

pbrowne
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 11:45 AM

i think he may have been drinking.

Liquidirt
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: SkyWave
Doughboy, can't you just lay back in the boat and float around drinking beer and grooving on the sun shine??? Less work than trying to kill fishies. And if you think fishing is hard and you want a challenge, try photographing fish!

It appears in the near future there is going to be lab-grown animal flesh and then people can eat meat and fish flesh without having to kill any creature.

This is a great example of what is totally wrong with half of America. They act like they care about the welfare of living things yet they eat living plants with zero thoughts on what they just did to a beautiful plant. Sad. Put your false love of living things away.

MadGuitrst
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 01:48 PM

It's not only the plants, it's excessive usage of water resources, child labor, soil erosion, soaking up too many rays from the Sun. Sheesh, we'll run out of Sun if veganism proliferates.

Doughy, leave the fishies alone so that they can over populate, kill off the natural ecosystem, and starve to death, like they're supposed to.

I get where SkyWave is coming from, but Doughy, or any other person(s) privately fishing, is a non-issue. None, nada, zero, zilch. Now, if we can stop China from overfishing, cease Norwegian salmon farming (cruel and toxic), find a solution to the fresh water issues in CA (besides Shade Balls in the LA Reservoir), then I'd hop onboard.

For now, it's ethical farming of beef, pork, chicken, turkey ... and eating fish caught by Doughy.

SnappinGyro
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 01:52 PM

CO2 levels are on the rise because of so much plant life being eaten.
Animals do not convert CO2, so eat more animals. \:p

JazAddict
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 01:58 PM

No no no..... You guys SUCK at this.....

We fish, therefore we have fun.
We pick on Sky. therfore we are misogynists.
We jest, therefore we am (that one's my fav)

Ecosystems, welfare of living things? pfffft what hell happened to you heathens?

Liquidirt
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 03:00 PM

Doughboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 03:19 PM

Well.....I’m going out fishing again today. A little chilly, but sunny. To be sporty, there are millions of eatible things in the lake that look like living things. My lures will be pink and green and scream ‘I am a trap’. The smarter fish will say ‘Phuck that’. As I thin the dopes from the lake to improve the lives of the ones remaining.

MadGuitrst
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 04:31 PM

Make sure to run over a deer on your way ...

Doughboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 04:41 PM

I can do that. Because the stupider deer are in the roads. Once again improving the wild life.

MadGuitrst
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Doughboy
I can do that.

Cool. Make sure to go back and forth over top of it until it is flat ... or in small enough pieces to be fish bait.

Because the stupider deer are in the roads. Once again improving the wild life.
Who says you don't care about wildlife?

Doughboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 08:25 PM

Well.... I caught one pike, two bass, one crappie....I threw them all back and yelled ‘DIIIIIE FOR SKYWAAAVE’ as they splashed back in the water.

Ismellelephant
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 11:55 PM

Are there transgender fish? I think it is ok to fish for them, they feel no pain.

JazAddict
(Planeteer)
05/18/19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: MadGuitrst

That's the spirit

JazAddict
(Planeteer)
05/18/19 01:36 AM

I'm prolly goin Sunday morning. Got a big band gig tomorrow at the farmers market where they slavishly raise, murder, and present for sale the freshly slaughtered vegetables.

MadGuitrst
(Planeteer)
05/18/19 01:47 AM

Well.... I caught one pike, two bass, one crappie....I threw them all back and yelled ‘DIIIIIE FOR SKYWAAAVE’ as they splashed back in the water.

Nice, but you should lop off their fins and tails, maybe poke out an eye or two or even chop off their heads so that other fishies can eat them and not ruin the ecosystem by eating all of the sea vegetation.

Doughy, think! Don't you want to do the right thing? Throwing them back in the water, disoriented and separated from the schools you plucked them out of, will leave them depressed, unable to cope with the stressors of their environment. They will die sad and lonely.

They could be happy on a plate, feeding the hungry, fulfilling their destiny: to feed other creatures of the world. I mean, why else would fish exist?

Doughboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/19 02:56 AM

Geeez.... good point MadG!! There’s always tomorrow thou...
well for me there is, but not for some of the dopier fish.

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/19 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: MadGuitrst
\:o

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/19 03:21 AM

Last time I went fishin'' >>> about 1966

Daytona

JazAddict
(Planeteer)
05/18/19 11:34 AM

It's still fun

fabulousthunderbird
(Planeteer)
05/18/19 11:38 AM

Debby Downer shits in yet another thread...

SkyWave
(Planeteer)
05/20/19 04:23 AM

McDonalds sell a billion fish sandwiches a year.

This is a very good point, DB, and one of the reasons many of the world's fisheries are in collapse.

And one of the reasons why my friends and I sometimes dress up in cow and salmon outfits and go demonstrate at McDonald's. Everyone needs a hobby. Save the fishies!

Doughboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/20/19 05:38 AM

I think we would all like to see photos of that!!!!!

ulank
(Planeteer)
05/20/19 02:56 PM

Imagine that you’re a fish, darting around your watery home and finding tasty snacks to enjoy. Now, imagine that you bite into one of those snacks and suddenly feel searing pain as a sharp hook rips through your mouth. You fight against it, but the painful hook is pulling you up toward the surface of the water. You struggle until every last ounce of your strength is gone. You’re then hoisted into the air, away from the safety of the deep water, and that’s when you begin to suffocate.

ulank
(Planeteer)
05/20/19 02:59 PM

McDonalds sell a billion fish sandwiches a year.

This is a very good point, DB, and one of the reasons many of the world's fisheries are in collapse.

And one of the reasons why my friends and I sometimes dress up in cow and salmon outfits and go demonstrate at McDonald's. Everyone needs a hobby. Save the fishies!

Mmmmm.

McSalmon Sandwich