Jazzooo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 04:25 PM
Using an iPad in Music Making

I know lots of people love this tool for making music today, but it's gone right past me. I've been using my desktop for so long that it's hard to imagine all of the software that is available only for iOS apps.

In particular, there is a Brazilian drum machine app that looks amazing, and I think it would be helpful for a bossa nova album I'm producing for a client. But it's iOS only. How do you guys integrate your iPad software with your DAWs, if you do?

I guess I could do all the programming on my iPad--ugh--and then just get the audio out of the iPad into my Mac somehow, but since there isn't usb I'm not sure how I'd even do that.

This is the app--there are demos of it on youtube, and they seem really cool to me. I have a limited knowledge of authentic Brazilian rhythms and I'd love to use some of these options as starter blocks for my arrangements.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brazilian-drum-machine/id988165210

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 05:01 PM
Re: Using an iPad in Music Making

I have written on a iPad 1 > usually just a programed drum rhythm and then I recorded 8 tracks of just adding on manually >> each drum ~~~~ and then analog out = the mini jack > to a stereo track in our DAW ..

Just not at all proficient with a touch screen device -- that's the only such computer , I own, that works without a track ball .

Mooseboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 05:23 PM

Full disclosure here… I'm not very comfy making music on a screen that small (and I have the largest iPad Pro there is).

As far as using it during performance for sheet music, set lists, playback, and changing MIDI presets, though… an iPad can't be beat.

Jazzooo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 05:31 PM

Well, that's my point--I know there is a way to get the audio out of my iPad, but I'm looking for a way to work with the user interface from the iPad app on my Mac's screen, because I don't like using my iPad mini for programming.

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Jazzooo
Well, that's my point--I know there is a way to get the audio out of my iPad, but I'm looking for a way to work with the user interface from the iPad app on my Mac's screen, because I don't like using my iPad mini for programming.

So that app is not cross-platform to another Apple product // ?? I thought that was a big feature of MAC ??

Mooseboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/17/19 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Jazzooo
Okay, let me reiterate what I think you're looking for, because we seem to get crossed wires a lot in our communication \:D

So you're looking for a way to control a music application that exists on your iPad, but controlling that application on your Mac? In other words, like screen control?

SteveW
(Planeteer)
05/17/19 11:22 PM

You said you want to control your iPad with your Mac PC ?

I think this link is your answer to that problem.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205644

Popmann
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/19 02:38 AM

I’m not where I can look at the app right now, but a camera connection kit connects basically any USB audio and/or MIDI IO to the iOS device. If that doesn’t help—I’ll look at the app later.

IME, there’s nothing on iOS that doesn’t have considerably better alterniative IN oSX....so, maybe I need to reread your reason, but i view it more as a live performance thing—extending the sounds of the Kronos, rather than intebgrating with the DAW.

I did used to use iOS’s music memos to do the tempo mapping before they put that into Logic....so, I have done some stuff with it....

Mooseboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/19 02:39 AM

I believe that the Camera Connection Kit isn't bidirectional, pop. I could be wrong, but I think not.

Popmann
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/19 03:47 AM

All I’ve ever used is the newer lightning version that can also charge (meaning connect a charger simultaneously....it does midi in and audio out and audio both ways—as I’ve done both—with the Kronos less successfully (but still functionally) with the cheapo Tascam us800.

I never bought the old 30 pin one because it had a list of limitations that made me think “F that”....maybe that had that limitation?

Popmann
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/19 05:28 AM

Ok, i reread....youre looking for a kind of “remote desktop in reverse” so you can use the app on a bigger screen. No idea. Im thinking iOs completely disallowing mouse pointers will be a sticking point with that....

Mooseboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/19 04:35 PM

Yeah, that's what I was getting at as far as bidirectionality.

SteveW
(Planeteer)
05/18/19 06:34 PM

I'm pretty sure the link I posted will work.

Mooseboy
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/19 07:48 PM

Steve, I checked that link out, tried it on my dekstop Mac, and it looks like it only works "TO" the Mac, not "FROM" the Mac.

C Jo Go
(Loquacious Planeteer)
05/18/19 09:34 PM

Can see why it would be nice to "run" on a bigger screen ----and maybe use a mouse to engineer the software ... Probably not perfected == until 2025 \:\) My pad is from 2011 ..