Spikerama
(Planeteer)
02/20/20 12:56 AM
I went to see Eric Johnson last night.One of his odder

A little different than the other times I saw him. He had a sideman who played guitar, keys, even a snare drum. Eric played a Les Paul on a couple of tunes. A lady held a drum in her hand and sang a couple of songs. Eric played the piano and sang, too. He was really personable, though. Talked to audience members and cracked witty jokes.

He had Roscoe Beck on bass and Tom Brechtlein on drums.

Here's a fine example of Eric Johnson...

Webster
(Planeteer)
02/20/20 01:14 AM
Re: I went to see Eric Johnson last night.One of his odder

Interesting. I get it that he wants to change things up... try something new and different.

I absolutely love that song Desert Rose.

motown59
(Planeteer)
02/20/20 03:47 AM

Great band, Roscoe and Tom...

EJ has never given me the goosebumps but I appreciate his talents and he’s always been nice.

Jazzooo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/20/20 07:02 AM

He was a guest artist in a show I musical directed (and Kelly saw). Nice cat for sure. Spent at least three hours setting up and getting his sound. Come the performance it was simply loud as fuck! All that care in tweaking? I didn't see the point. Fun playing with him, even though I only did 2 out of his 4 numbers.

Here we are on All Along the Watchtower--I start the song on that little percussion instrument I can't remember the name of and then move to organ over on the right.

Spikerama
(Planeteer)
02/20/20 12:46 PM

Doug, I remember you telling about working with him and was a little jealous \:\)

The first time I saw EJ play, was in a bar that was meant for about 200 people. The walls were cement. A five dollar cover charge that included all the beer you could drink. (I don't drink, btw.) I loaned them a power amp in exchange for a free EJ pick. And, yes, I literally thought my ears were bleeding.

Webster
(Planeteer)
02/20/20 02:22 PM

Yeah... it seems like Doug might have shared that here before. I know I've seen it. He sure brought the amplification muscle with him, didn't he? It sounded like it would have been loud on stage.

Man - his playing is great here. Love some of those chord voicings in the main body of the song. Good band. Enjoyed that!

Not always - but mostly I dig his sense of melody when he solos. But it's his rhythm playing and interesting chord voicings that give me the goosebumps.

Jazzooo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/20/20 02:57 PM

Well, we only have so many experiences, so I end up sharing the same ones over and over :-). I do agree with you, Webster, about his chording . It was really fresh and drove the band to another level I think.

Spikerama
(Planeteer)
02/20/20 03:51 PM

Not to mention...the guy's voice is likeable.

Ismellelephant
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/20/20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jazzooo
Spent at least three hours setting up and getting his sound.

He should just buy an Eric Johnson modeling amp, just plug in and he sounds like himself.

Jazzooo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/20/20 04:11 PM

Lol

Webster
(Planeteer)
02/20/20 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Ismellelephant
Spent at least three hours setting up and getting his sound.

He should just buy an Eric Johnson modeling amp, just plug in and he sounds like himself.

\:D

Jazzooo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/20/20 06:52 PM

I wonder how many artists use the personal modeling products to produce the sound of themselves, just for convenience?

BmC
(Planeteer)
02/20/20 07:51 PM

"that little percussion instrument I can't remember the name of"

vibraslap.

Jazzooo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/20/20 08:18 PM

Yes, of course! Thanks.

Ismellelephant
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/20/20 08:41 PM

I wonder how many artists use the personal modeling products to produce the sound of themselves, just for convenience?

My guess, none. I do think the modeling stuff is good though, just easy access to more sounds but thats about it.

Ismellelephant
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/20/20 08:43 PM

I am a big fan of Johnson, and surprised he is a loud player. Was it loud from his amps on stage or through FOH and/or stage monitors?

E Beau
(Planeteer)
02/21/20 03:37 AM

That's pretty cool Doug.

Jazzooo
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/21/20 10:30 AM

His amps. I don’t even think the FOH engineer was there for the first hour and a half of his “sound check.”