MotherOne
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 12:49 AM
How do you pronounce "Røde"?

I'm from denmark and in danish "Røde" is a description of something being red.

But how do you english poeple pronounce it? Like road or what?

\:\)

Dot
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 01:44 AM
Re: How do you pronounce "Røde"?

Road, Røde, brød.

In English we pronounce Røde mics as Road Mics or Rode Mics.

Never really knew why they used Ø anyway, since Røde was founded in Australia by a Swede, and there is no "Ø" in the Swedish language.

guraknugen
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dot:
Never really knew why they used Ø anyway, since Røde was founded in Australia by a Swede, and there is no "Ø" in the Swedish language.

There is an Ø in Swedish. It just doesn't look the same. The Swedish Ø looks like this: Ö. It's pronounced the same way but it looks different.

Sometime, a couple of hundred years ago I suppose, the Swedish letters Ä, ä, Ö and ö looked different. Instead of the dots there were a small e above the A and O. However when printing it, especially when printing small fonts, the e was too thin so all that was printed was two small dots where the lines of the e were supposed to meet.

We also have the letters å and Å and it has the same story: The ring is actually a small o. It was easier to print and is therefor still an o. However I am not sure if it looks the same in Norway and Denmark. Anyone?

In Denmark and Norway ä and Ä looks like æ and Æ, so they are A and E together, but in a different way compared to the Swedish letters.

Another funny thing is that they aren't sorted the same way.

In Norway and Denmark you sort like "...uvwxyzæøå" and in Sweden and Finland you sort like "...uvwxyzåäö".

About the Røde microphones, I've heard that the ø is not a Norwegian/Danish ø at all. It's supposed to be a Phase Inverse symbol, commonly used on many mixers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

[ 11-29-2003: Message edited by: guraknugen ]

Dot
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by guraknugen:
[QB]

There is an Ø in Swedish. It just doesn't look the same. The Swedish Ø looks like this: Ö. It's pronounced the same way but it looks different.

Yes, and wondering why they didn't spell it Röde.

Quote:
We also have the letters å and Å and it has the same story: The ring is actually a small o. It was easier to print and is therefor still an o.

How do you figure that, since "å" is a new form of "aa". i.e. gård instead of gaard.

Quote:
About the Røde microphones, I've heard that the ø is not a Norwegian/Danish ø at all. It's supposed to be a Phase Inverse symbol, commonly used on many mixers.

Interesting. Hadn't heard that one before.

Peter Lancaster
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 03:54 AM

Interesting thought Johnny, but I think that the symbol for the phase angle is the Greek letter phi (o with vertical line through it). However, when hand written by electrical/electronic engineers the line through the o can be anywhere between vertical and horizontal depending on the amount of alcohol or sleep one has had/not had, so you could be correct.

Pete.

[ 11-29-2003: Message edited by: Peter Lancaster ]

WinyardPro
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 04:15 AM

Guys,

Ø
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"Ø", "ø" is a vowel and a letter used in the Danish and Norwegian alphabets.

The origin of the letter is a ligature for the diphthong "OE" that has become a letter in itself. In modern Danish and Norwegian, the letter is a unique vowel, and neither a diphthong, a ligature, nor a variant of the letter "O". As one Norwegian tour guide put it, "It's not an 'O' with a slash, it's an 'Ø'." In this quotation, the pronunciation of the name "Ø" is simply the sound of the letter, which is IPA [ø].

In the Finnish, Swedish, and German alphabets, the letter "Ö" is the equivalent.

In Danish, ø is even an entire word meaning island.

The symbol "Ø" is also used in mathematics to refer to the empty set, following Bourbaki. Modern typesetting software used by mathematicians typically renders it in stylised form. For example, common TeX packages offer \emptyset and \varnothing, which respectively appear as:

The symbol "ø" is also used in the International Phonetic Alphabet to indicate the sound of the Danish and Norwegian letter, a rounded close-mid front vowel. It is also used as the standard symbol for diameter, though the official symbol is slightly stylised (the stroke is often thinner at the bottom and thicker at the top, like the club or baton shape of the exclamation point; and extends further above the o portion).

For computers, when using the ISO 8859-1 or Unicode sets, the codes for 'Ø' and 'ø' are respectively 216 and 248, or D8 and F8 in hexadecimal. It can by typed by holding the [Alt] key while typing 0216 or 0248 on the numeric keypad. The Unicode letter name is "Latin capital/small letter O with stroke". In HTML character entity references, required in cases where the letter is not available by ordinary coding, the codes are Ø and ø.

\:\)

It is likely a bit of a capacitor symbol (Angle stroke e.g. ---- ]/[----- for capacitor mics), Latin (universal O) and the Danish and Norwegian alphabets all rolled into one. Also symbolic of an Island (To stand alone, unequalled, of itself). ;\)

guraknugen
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ransit:
Guys,
"Ø", "ø" is a vowel and a letter used in the Danish and Norwegian alphabets.

"It's not an 'O' with a slash, it's an 'Ø'."

In the Finnish, Swedish, and German alphabets, the letter "Ö" is the equivalent.

In Danish, ø is even an entire word meaning island.

Yes, I forgot to mention that ä and ö exists in German as well. In fact we (in Sweden) got our ä and ö from the German language originally.

In Swedish, ö is an an entire word meaning island, just like in Danish and in Norwegian. I think that goes for Icelandish too, actually.

And as for Danish and Norwegian, Ö is not an O with two dots, it's an "Ö".

By the way, Iceland is spelled "Island" in Swedish... and we pronounce it approximately like "Eeslund", where the "ee" is supposed to be a long e sound. Like the "i" in "bit", but longer...

About Å, which I wrote about last time, I'm pretty sure the ring is originally an o.

A long Swedish A is pronounced like the a in the word "bar" (approximately). A Swedish O is pronounced like the oo in "book", but longer.
Now, if you say a Swedish very long A and then smoothly try to change to a Swedish O, just like crossfading or maybe morphing between the two letters, then you should have an Å somewhere on the way between the two letters... AAAAAAAAAÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅOOOOOOOOO...
The Å is pronounced like the A in "talk".

Dot
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 04:52 AM

That's very funny, because in Danish Å is pronounced more like a long O. gård sounds much like "go"

Kirkegaard AKA Kirkegård - sounds like Kear -ke' - go.

Dot
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 04:53 AM

Hvordan siger man "kusse" på svensk? : )

guraknugen
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dot:

That's very funny, because in Danish Å is pronounced more like a long O. gård sounds much like "go"

Kirkegaard AKA Kirkegård - sounds like Kear -ke' - go.

I don't know about Danish, but when I heard Norwegians say "gaard" I don't think it sounds like "go", but on the other hand there are a lot of English dialects too, and I don't know which one you speak...

Vad betyder "Kusse"? En del säger kusse på svenska som slang för "kusin", men jag är inte en av dem...

English, just to be polite to all you guys not living in Scandinavia: What does "Kusse" mean? Some people say "kusse" as slang for "kusin" (cousin), but I'm not one of them...

Well, time to go to bed now, it's 5:10 here right now (24h time).

WinyardPro
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 05:29 AM

Just don't mention the Viking Age! We have some close friends (Female) and they are large (Tall) women and very proud of their Icelandic traditions. They even have old jewellery from the Viking spoils. :rolleyes:

I've never met their relatives in Iceland but from the stories I hear about the males of the clan, it's a fearful thing...

They say I should take my family to Iceland for a holiday, saying that they are really just big pussycats with a long history. In my mind, I'm thinking sabre-toothed tiger. \:D

Very nice people all the same and I may visit some day!

Who would have thought that hundreds of years ago they made it as far as North Africa and thought to have founded one of the first colonies in America before anyone knew (apart from the Indians) land existed that far.

WOW!!!

MotherOne
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 10:26 AM

Wow Dot I'm impressed \:\) Have you been living in denmark?

Seeing Swedish, Norwegian and Danish as dialects is a bit wrong. They are independent languages, just having a few things and words in common. But most Danes can't understand shit when a Swede talks... Norwegian is more a mix between Swedish and Danish.

Many recording-newbees here in Denmark thinks that Røde is a Danish company, can't really blame them, as we're not very used to see the Ø anywhere alse than in danish stuff.

But once again... how does you guys from US and England pronounce the word Røde?

Dot
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MotherOne:
Have you been living in denmark?

Jelling og Århus '88-'89. KHB '91-97. Jeg arbejded med Lars H.U.G. og andre dansk musiker.

[quote]
But once again... how does you guys from US and England pronounce the word Røde?

Vi siger

ROAD.

: )

[ 11-30-2003: Message edited by: Dot ]

guraknugen
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MotherOne:
But most Danes can't understand shit when a Swede talks... Norwegian is more a mix between Swedish and Danish.

My father once told me about a kind of funny situation where a guy from Denmark and another guy from Norway didn't understand each other. My father, Swedish like me, understood both of them and he translated for them from Norwegian to Swedish and from Danish to Swedish which helped those two guys understand each other...!

My impression is that Danes understand Swedish better than Swedes understand Danish. I don't know why, maybe Swedes are more stupid... hehehe... No, I guess there are other reasons. Maybe Swedes in general are more ignorant and have some kind of big brother attitude and think that "hey little brother, speak Swedish if you want to talk to me, otherwise I won't listen"... It's sad if it's true.

When I, some years ago, had some problems with my VS-880 (I bought my VS-2480 in october or november 2001, so it was a couple of years ago) I was told to call the Roland Support in Denmark, since there was a "VS-880 expert" who knew a lot about it. I didn't understand half of what he said, but somehow I understood enough to solve my problem. For a strange reason it's a bit embarrassing to ask when I don't understan, because it feels like I have to ask all the time and I don't want him to get mad at me... Some time during that conversation I was just about to ask him to speak English, but I didn't...

Well, as said before, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Icelandish are not dialects, BUT there are many common words between those languages. On the other hand there are a lot of common words between Swedish and German, Swedish and French, Swedish and Spanish and of course Swedish and English.

Nowadays there are a lot of words borrowed from English, which wasn't the case before the 17th century. Before that time, especially another couple of hundred years earlier, Vikings "exported" parts of their language to the English language. Actually, many of the Swedish words we borrowed from English, were originally Swedish, so we just borrowed them back again...

One nice example of that is the Swedish word "klubb", which means "club", like in "fan club" or "club meeting". The English "club" was originally the Swedish word "klubba" which is the other club word, a wooden thing that looks like some kind if hammer... is there another word for it...? So klubba was club, a club can be used at club meetings and club became klubb in Swedish...

If we keep this thread running, then I guess all people at VS-planet soon will speak Scandinavian... Now I know what people mean when they say that owning a VS-2480 makes you learn a lot...

[ 11-30-2003: Message edited by: guraknugen ]

MotherOne
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by guraknugen:

My impression is that Danes understand Swedish better than Swedes understand Danish. I don't know why, maybe Swedes are more stupid... hehehe... No, I guess there are other reasons. Maybe Swedes in general are more ignorant and have some kind of big brother attitude and think that "hey little brother, speak Swedish if you want to talk to me, otherwise I won't listen"... It's sad if it's true.

That's my impression too! As half swede (my mothers from Säffle) i've been able to attend a lot of funny meeting between swedes and danes, and it seems to be the case.

I don't think there's any other reason, than danish in its sound, is very cloumsy and deep down the throat like. Its much harder to seperate the words in danish than in swedish. Swedes have a hard time seprating, thus recognizing the words, while swedish is much easier to 'understand'. That's why.

Well, what a funny little talk \:\)

Brianonymous
(Planeteer)
11/30/03 09:06 PM

I didnt even know what the hell Ø sounded like, so I rounded up to the nearest common letter. O.

guraknugen
(Planeteer)
12/01/03 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brianonymous:
I didnt even know what the hell Ø sounded like, so I rounded up to the nearest common letter. O.

Well, at least the Swesish Ö, which is supposed to be the same, sounds like the "i" in "bird".

Tom Mix
(Loquacious Planeteer)
12/01/03 03:31 AM

Quote:
If we keep this thread running, then I guess all people at VS-planet soon will speak Scandinavian...

\:D

This is all very interesting, but don't hold yer breath wait'n for us americans to learn Scandinavian.

Some of us can barely speak english. \:D

MotherOne
(Planeteer)
12/01/03 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Mix:

Some of us can barely speak english. \:D

Who said Bush?

The Un-dr.
(Planeteer)
12/01/03 09:14 AM

Yah, shoore, yoo betcha!

Rockjaw
(Planeteer)
12/06/03 03:09 PM

A brief re-examination of the origin of the name will show the the funny "O"(ø) was intended to help disguise the gag name, "Rodent 1" for "Røde NT1"!

[ 12-06-2003: Message edited by: Rockjaw ]

agapeburt
(Planeteer)
12/06/03 03:15 PM

Did you say Engrish? I speak Engrish
i kant spel nun tu gud tho