BellMetal
(Space Cadet)
01/17/04 09:33 PM
V8SF-3 on the 1680: how will we see?

Does anyone know if the 1680 execution of the new board will include an OS update that will allow a computer monitor hookup?

Or are they going to somehow adapt the visuals to the onboard display? (which to me would make the whole package less attractive.

John

Chris Flynn
(Planeteer)
01/17/04 09:40 PM
Re: V8SF-3 on the 1680: how will we see?

really ? I don't want to run my 1680 with my PC... just don't need the headache..

How are you doing it... does it work for you ?

qofroland2
(Planeteer)
01/17/04 09:43 PM

bell,
You will see them on the little screen just like the other effects card. A monitor upgrade is just not possible (physically and electronicly impossible).

BTW what difference does it make if you cant 'see' the effect on a monitor? How would this make it less attractive?? As long as you have the same sound quality and access to the same parameters isnt this ultimately what matters most???

p.s. as much as some ppl on this board say I bitch 100% of the time and am unrealistic I am not 100%. Even I realize it is physically and elecronicly impossible to add a monitor to the older series. Its not impossible for roland to include the older fx and lift the 4 effect restriction (add a resource meter instead). Bell, If you want the vga you can always use the card on the 1680 now and upgrade to a 2XXX later and take the card with you.

Chris Flynn
(Planeteer)
01/17/04 09:50 PM

very good gofroland... now I"m gettin excited.. I want my VS to be stand alone... I'm still very happy with my 1680..

so this news, while not earth shattering, it is a very good thing, and I believe it will really improve the quality of my recordings..

I still can't figure out how this will be done, as I have 2 effects cards in my unit now.. not sure if I'll lose effects when I put the new card in.

I'm sure it will all be explained at some point. or maybe it has, and I just haven't seen that post.

BellMetal
(Space Cadet)
01/17/04 09:59 PM

Chris: I don't run through a computer (though it seems at least marginally possible with VSpro or the VSlogic systems - I haven't used either.

I love the LED display - I think it's quite efficient.

gofro:

I didn't realize that adding the monitor to a 1680 would be impossible. Wouldn't work with an additional card huh? Oh well.

The reason I'm concerned is that the screen shots of the parameter controls on the new board seem more sophisticated than than the old FX and much easier to manipulate with some visual realestate. If I have work through a bunch of pages of numbers based settings to, say set up a specifically shaped room for a verb, that's going to be a lot more cumbersome than shaping it visually on a big screen.

John

Chris Flynn
(Planeteer)
01/17/04 10:14 PM

for us 1680 owners... I don't get how we are going to intall the extra plug ins? Do we midi up to our computer? and if so, don't we need some kind of platform on the PC ? I have have the old Logic VS disc around here somewhere.

qofroland2
(Planeteer)
01/17/04 10:21 PM

Chris,
I believe you will need the optional cd burner to load the included cd into the effects card.

Bell,
I understand your concern but it should be no worse than the current method of scrolling thru many pages on the current v8sf-2 cards. Actually some of the more simple fx (like the u audio la-2a) should be very easy to use even on the small screen.

Chris Flynn
(Planeteer)
01/17/04 10:35 PM

gofroland --

well thats cool.. I've got one of the old QPS-2x Roland burners.

johnrg
(Planeteer)
01/18/04 10:33 PM

I think it will include a hardware VGA and mouse upgrade - watch this space but its the only way it can work.
Check out the VS2000 it has an optional vs20 vga unit. I think the 1680/1880/1824 will get something similar.
JohnG

BellMetal
(Space Cadet)
01/18/04 11:06 PM

Woo Hoo!

John

I S P de Ruiter
(Planeteer)
01/19/04 10:09 AM

On the other hand: the more you can see, the less likely you will be to listen......
Remember how far we've got from the lonesome RMS
VU-meter.
In a few years these non-tranparent sunglasses will get really popular for recording & mixing.

ISPdeRuiter

BellMetal
(Space Cadet)
01/19/04 04:51 PM

Oh, I completely agree. I think one of the beauties of the VS is that it makes you edit with your ears - the way you're supposed to.

I don't want the big screen for editing - but it would be nice for some fx set-up pages - especially with the new card.

John

dubsonic
(Space Cadet)
01/19/04 06:32 PM

Sorry my peeps - no VGA for the older models. I was at the NAMM show and the guy showed me a monochrome 320x240 screen shot of the McDSP Chrome Tone amp plugin that had been optimized for the smaller LCD Displays. It looked way cool - much better than the VS8F-2 edit screens. You saw ALL the parameters, only smaller. And instead of click and drag, you simply cursor and spin. I even asked about the possibility of a VGA expansion board ala VS-2000CD, and he said no.

OCOE
(Planeteer)
01/19/04 09:56 PM

Remeber this ...

320x200 is CGA resolution ... there's pleanty of pixels to get the job done!

;\) \:D