Brian English
(Space Cadet)
10/13/05 11:38 PM
Review of the Basics with Auto-Tune VS

1) Always remember to choose your key and scale.

If you do not know, Chromatic (black and white keys on the piano) may be acceptable. However if the singer is off by a quarter tone or more, Auto-Tune may pick the closest note which may not be in your song.

2) Remember to pick your input type. This is important as it tells Auto-Tune which frequency range to focus on.

Soprano – A high female Adult or children's voice(boy or girl)
Alto – A low female (or boy’s) voice
Tenor – A high (adult) male voice
Bass – A low (adult) male voice

3) Never have anything in the signal chain before Auto-Tune. This can cause tracking problems. Mild compression or EQ might be OK (although best without) but delay-based effects such as reverb, flangers, etc. and other filtering will surely cause the tracking to falter.

4) If Auto-Tune is having trouble with a certain note, sometimes turning off an adjacent note can fix the problem. A good example is that in harmonic minor sometimes turning off the leading tone can help Auto-Tune find the root better.

5) The tracking knob almost never needs to be touched if the vocal was recorded in a dry studio environment. Only if your recording has bleed (e.g. other instruments, singers or parts can be heard at low volumes) should the tracking knob be considered. Try making it more relaxed.

6) The Re-tune speed knob for the most part does not need to be touched, except to sometimes back off a tiny bit or tune a bit faster. If the singer is singing a lot of sustained notes with long attacks, a slower retune speed may sound more natural. If the singer is moving from one note to the next very quickly with short attacks, a faster retune speed may be required.

7) The retune speed of 0 is the "Cher effect". To make it more pronounced, intentionally change the scale and/or key to one the singer did not originally sing in.

8) Try and chop up your audio file as much as possible and apply different settings with each section. To get the most natural pitch correction, each verse and sometimes even certain phrases may need different settings, especially if a key change occurs.

Thanks,

Brian English
Antares Audio Technology

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
11/12/05 01:38 AM
Re: Review of the Basics with Auto-Tune VS

What would be the settings or parameters for the senerio you describe above? What's a good setting to start with on Trackin, Retune etc?

SteveM
(Planeteer)
11/22/05 04:49 AM

Wow, great tips. That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Thanks!

fuzzball
(Planeteer)
05/04/07 05:27 PM

Excellent topic, now I want a VS 3 card bad.

Usert183
(Space Cadet)
04/08/08 05:36 AM

I have some reverb on my vocal before it enters my Vs2480 and my Antares autotune is in the FX1 bank. would this be the reason im getting pitchs spikes and drops instead of smooth pitch corrections?
I sound like a robot in certain spots and also it will make like a "clicking" sounds as it is trying to correct the pitch what is that?

also can I just say how VAGUE the owners manual is for this thing.

I know once I get the hang of it I could show someone else how to use it in ten seconds WHY CANT THEY MAKE THE DIRECTIONS EASIER AND CLEARER!!

Sorry for shouting I am just frustrated!

I have this plug in for two months and I have not been able to use it on one song so far.
Unless you can tell me something FANTASTIC than this this has just been a waiste of my hard earned money.

Lazmax
(Space Cadet)
06/29/08 03:29 PM

After about a year I'm still trying to get my Antares AutoTune to function in a way that would allow me to use it. For me, the manual that you print is confusing and leads me to believe I would require some schooling to understand scales and keys. I was looking for the section of the manual that tells me how to put this thing on "auto-tune", give it the key of the song, and have it pitch-correct-where-needed, the entire guitar or vocal track. Automatic pitch correction is what I guess I had in mind.
How do the rack-mount "auto" pitch correcting units work?

toonscribe
(Planeteer)
07/10/08 03:57 PM

First understand that in western music every "key" contains some notes but not ALL notes. ALL of the notes are called "chromatic scale." Each "key" contains a different SUBSET of those notes in the "chromatic" scale.

So...if you were merely to "give it the key of the song" as you suggest -- it will, in theory, "correct" every note to one of the notes within that key. However, in many cases that is NOT what you want -- since many melodies include notes that are NOT in the song's KEY. And many songs modulate (change keys)midstream. So if you "give it the key of the song" -- Autotune COULD be "correcting" some notes to the WRONG note.

There are 3 ways solve this to accomodate those "non-key" notes.

1) Change the key of Auto-Tune in real time while the song is playing back(or being recorded).

2) Bouncing a vocal track (i.e. "printing the effect") and stopping and starting the 2480 playback to change the key in Autotune...or

3) (AND THIS SOUNDS LIKE WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!) Set Autotune to "chromatic" (and also to "Major scale"). Those 2 settings ("chromatic" "Major") will give you the "fully automatic" functioning you seek -- and removes any requirement of knowing anything about keys or music theory or having to change anything midsong. This is because "chromatic" includes EVERY note of western style music. And Autotune will simply correct to the closest one of those notes. Voila!

You then should adjust the two side-by-side controls that control "speed" (how fast it corrects a note when it hears it) and degree of "choosiness" (I forget what the official name for this is -- but it controls how sensitive Auto-tune is) in order get as "much" or as "little" of the correction effect as you want without getting noticeable artifacts.

Of course to GET THE OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE out of Autotune, you may want these settings to change throughout the course of the performance -- which is why some people bounce different sections of their vocal using different Autotune settings. Again, you can stop the playback during a bounce -- make an adjustment -- and go on.

Lastly, you just have to set what kind of voice you're using it on (low male voice, tenor, soprano, etc) and that's it.

So, really, it CAN be pretty automatic and simple if you set it to "chromatic" and find the optimal settings for the other two controls.

It'll work that way -- and be COMPLETELY AUTOMATIC and help -- but it WON'T be the OPTIMAL result possible from AutoTune.

If the above does not clarify it for you, I'm not clear what is confusing you.

Pakala
(Space Cadet)
07/19/08 07:56 PM

Thanks for the great info Brian English and toonscribe! I got the plug-in when it first came out and tried to use it on a project where the voalist had some major pitch problems. Trying to set the program up to make it work transparently from start to end was just not possible and I questioned the usefullness of the program. "Why is it used so much if it doesn't work well???" Then I read about HOW to use it in various articles and (later) here which made me realize that in many (most?) cases one cannot just set it up and run it on the same settings for the whole song; that differnt vocal lines in the song require different settings to work right. Following this enlightenment, I used it bouncing different sections with different settings to make a final composit track and was quie happy with the result. I guess it's all about knowing how to use a tool properly. But I totally agree with Usert183 that the manual could have made this technique more obvious.

PS - I anyone else is having trouble out there, I have some additional readings I can send you which will ease the learning curve for this tool. Just email me and I'll send it. Aloha!

Stuart
(Planeteer)
05/04/09 10:25 AM

Well I have it and used it once...but didn't really notice a difference or at least an improvement...I got it specifically for my harmonies...which when soloed sound scary to me...I'm used to my main lead vox so I'll live with that. Should I venture back I will check this out again..

SmagBoy1
(Planeteer)
02/01/10 01:36 PM

I've definitely seen good pitch improvement for my vocals (I have terrible pitch). My problem is that I haven't taken the time to learn how to really dial-in the settings for individual parts of the song. I just set it and go. Now, part of that is because I do have pitch problems (e.g. I don't hear pitch as well I could, so, I'm not always sure how bad a particular section is versus another section). I will say that I've been pleased with the AutoTune's ability, but, I'd love some tips/hints on how to section up the song and change settings, etc.

toonscribe, I had no idea you could stop and change settings during a bounce down?! You just hit "STOP" change settings and go on? If that's true, wow!

Holy_Fire
(Space Cadet)
12/20/14 11:41 PM

Personally I prefer the TCHelicon VoiceLive Rack, however, I do find that the Antares plugin does work, but just doesn't always sound natural. Pitch correction is way over-rated when it comes to vocals that slide, jump, or a sung in such a way (off pitch purposely) to create tension.

One of the best uses that I have found for this plugin is set its output to 50% and feed it into the headphone mix ;\) Works great for pitch training and to keep singers on pitch -- but takes some getting used to.

These are just my opinions and how I use it. I have had my VS-2480 DVD since 2005 (LA2A/1176LN & AutoTune). I have 4 VS8F-3 expansion boards, but have found that I like to keep a VS8F-2 in the 2nd slot for LOOP [not insert] effects, as it will bring the bus from 56 bits down to 24 (not good).

Hustle6721
(Space Cadet)
08/05/15 01:33 AM

I had to buy all new stuff which came with a vs8f3 card and it won't allow me to install my old plug ins. Do I have to have the original card it was installed on?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
08/05/15 02:00 AM

Hustle6721,
I don't know if you noticed that you posted your question/problem on the back end of a thread who's last post is 8 months old and a review of the auto tune effect.

You'll likely fair a whole lot better, if you post a new thread with a subject line relevant to your situation.
There are a lot of really helpful people here and many who might have answers that will point you in the right direction to resolving the problem you're having.

I would offer my own suggestions, except that I don't have any experience with the vs8f 3 cards and the activation or transfer of the effects.

Best of luck to you at any rate...

graemest
(Planeteer)
08/09/15 11:49 AM

Yes, some knowledge of key and scales is most definitely required. If you are not musically trained a good rule-of-thumb/starting point is to set the key to the first note or chord of each verse, chorus or whatever. If the first bass note or chord is 'E' in a verse set Autotune to 'E', if the first bass note or guitar chord in a chorus is 'C' set it to 'C' each chorus etc etc.

Have the Autotune edit page up to change between keys as the song goes on; which means you will have to have all your levels etc right beforehand as you can't access the Autotune edit page whilst in record mode.

Another tip is to try the majors and minors of each key, as sometimes one will sound better or more interesting. Try it.

Hope that may help, Graeme