Memphis Monroe
(Loquacious Planeteer)
03/28/07 04:09 PM
M-Audio Tampa Mic Pre

Price paid on Ebay for used unit: $245. . . Lists for around $499 and retails for about$399.

Okay, you can read up on the specs and get a handle on the inner workings of this solidstate wonder in order to understand why it’s such a great sounding unit, but what’s also very surprising is how nice the other features are.

This unit is not only a great preamp, but it’s also a great compressor and A/D converter as well. The pre itself sounds fantastic. It’s warm, smooth, rich, and not overly colored IMO. In fact, it’s the most transparent mic pre I have to date. But what’s just as impressive to me is the fact that it is not a tube design. It sounds like there must a couple of tubes in the unit, but there’s not. It’s completely solidstate, which is nice because you don’t have to worry about replacing some crappy Chinese tube in order to get a usable sound.

The compressor is very functional too. It’s easy to use, and sounds great, and the A/D converter really lends a level of flexibility to this unit that you just don’t see in any pre at this price point. This unit completely eliminates the need for me to stack up and patch together my desktop pre, compressor, and a/d converter, and in just about any application imaginable it sounds better than any one of those units combined anyway.

This unit comes HIGHLY recommended as a mid level pre by many renowned engineers and audio gear heads, but I’m neither. I’m just a musician who writes, arranges, plays, and sometimes performs music. All I know is that this unit is one of the best minor investments I’ve made in my studio.

If you are looking at putting somewhere between $250-$700 into a mic pre do yourself a favor and take a critical and serious look at the TAMPA. Considering what a secondhand TAMPA is going for these days it’s a no-brainer IMO.

Cheers,

Chris

FunkyBeat
(Planeteer)
04/26/08 05:42 PM
Re: M-Audio Tampa Mic Pre

+1 for the Tampa.

I bought it about a week ago and have had several recording sessions with it already. The compressor is so transparent. No "pumping and breathing" artifacts at all. It's smooth as butter.

This item has been discontinued but if you're looking for a really nice channel strip for your vocals, I highly recommend the Tampa if you can find one.

Disgruntled-Inc
(Planeteer)
04/30/08 12:40 AM

Just bid on one on eBay. I was looking for something to make vocals a bit more lively. And for the price I just bid, if I win it, it will be the most economical piece of gear I've bought.

LakeStone Karl
(Planeteer)
04/30/08 05:15 PM

I use it for all my bass tracks, I like the compressor.

I am using it ANALOG out, because for some reason the DIGITAL output reaches ZERO way before the TAMPA's meter shows anything going on.

I used it digitally a few times, but like it better analog.

FunkyBeat
(Planeteer)
05/01/08 12:59 AM

Hey Karl,

I REALLY like the compressor on it too. It's very transparent. One of the best compressors I have ever used.

I am using the digital out right now. Working very well for me. I may experiment with the analog out too since you commented how you like that way better.

Memphis Monroe
(Loquacious Planeteer)
10/21/08 06:28 PM

Hey Karl,

Try a different digital cable. I was having problems with my digital out signal too, but this past weekend I decided to try out another cable, and that fixed the problem. . it sounds good in analogue, but in digital mode it’s pristine IMO.

Chris