(Loquacious Planeteer)
11/03/10 03:56 PM
Re: SONAR X1

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

amiller
(Planeteer)
11/03/10 04:12 PM

Well, I just bought the "Loyal Customer" upgrade to Producer 8.5 less than a month ago. Now, I've got to purchase another upgrade to keep up...crap!!! Roland knew they had X1 in the can and ready to ship when they sent me the 8.5 offer.

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
11/03/10 08:59 PM

You should know by now that when they send out the notorious offer for a substantially discounted upgrade that a new version is coming out. ;\)

That's always been the give away...within 6 months give or take from the time of the discount offer.

WinyardPro
(Planeteer)
11/04/10 12:27 AM

Well, I would argue the point with Cakewalk/Roland because they sent me an upgrage that offers X1 for free - If I purchase the upgrade to Sonar 8.5. I'd contact sales and twist some arms. Currently have Sonar 6. The X1 layout looks like the VS2480's so I may go for it.

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
11/04/10 12:42 AM

Yep.

tntkemp
(Planeteer)
11/25/10 11:27 PM

Same here...I bought the loyal customer upgrade, as well. I hadn't upgraded from v6 because I wasn't, and still am not ready to upgrade my dual-xeon 2.8ghz system and plugins. I still use v6 because v8.5 and my Waves plugins don't get along.

Vito1
(Planeteer)
01/19/11 01:59 AM

I love that it feels like the 2480. This is an easy transition.

Kenex
(Planeteer)
01/19/11 11:27 PM

I currently run Sonar 8.5PE on Windows XP64 bit Pro but I do not know if X1 would work on it.
I guess that I will have to ask that question on the Sonar forum unless any of you guys know the answer.

Listen
(Planeteer)
01/22/11 01:34 PM

Kenex,

I am running a similar set-up and X1 is working on it. There is definitely a difference obviously with the enhancements in X1 (now X1a) there are some bugs that have to be worked out however; that should be coming with what they are calling (X1b)and when that is available - don't hesitate you'll love it. There is a small learning curve from S8.5PE but if you know your way around S8.5PE you won't have any problems figuring it out. There is more and more video support being made available for questions we notoriously have...

Kenex
(Planeteer)
01/22/11 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Listen
Kenex,

I am running a similar set-up and X1 is working on it. There is definitely a difference obviously with the enhancements in X1 (now X1a) there are some bugs that have to be worked out however; that should be coming with what they are calling (X1b)and when that is available - don't hesitate you'll love it. There is a small learning curve from S8.5PE but if you know your way around S8.5PE you won't have any problems figuring it out. There is more and more video support being made available for questions we notoriously have...

Thanks Listen. So you are running Windows XP Pro 64 bit? I am just making absolutely sure here. The bugs that you are talking about... could they be exclusive to Windows XP 64 bit or are they causing problems for people on Windows 7 as well? I ask this because as you probably know Cakewalk does not support Windows XP64 anymore.

Oh and let me ask you something else if you don't mind. When you install Sonar X1 does it automatically migrate your old songs that were done on 8.5 PE into itself? (X1)?
Thanks for the info Listen.

Listen
(Planeteer)
01/27/11 03:55 AM

Kenex

I have to recant - I am running 32 bit and there are a lot of comments and post from those who are using Windows XP Pro 64 bit.

Ask the same question over at:http://forum.cakewalk.com/default.aspx

Part two of that question - Yes Sonar X1 does integrate your old songs done in 8.5PE. Some people are experiencing wierdness with the Sonxtius EQ integrating with Pro Channel but it is simply a matter of disabling the EQ and enabling the Pro Channel EQ

Again check out the forum and ask the same question...

Kenex
(Planeteer)
01/29/11 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Listen
Kenex

I have to recant - I am running 32 bit and there are a lot of comments and post from those who are using Windows XP Pro 64 bit.

Ask the same question over at:http://forum.cakewalk.com/default.aspx

Part two of that question - Yes Sonar X1 does integrate your old songs done in 8.5PE. Some people are experiencing wierdness with the Sonxtius EQ integrating with Pro Channel but it is simply a matter of disabling the EQ and enabling the Pro Channel EQ

Again check out the forum and ask the same question...

Thanks Listen. I have already asked the question over there. Not much feedback from them except advice for leaping to Windows 7.
I am just going to stick it out with what I have. My system works well and I did have a good look at the Sonar X1 forum on the Sonar site and it is full of users problems...lots and lots of problems. I guess I will wait until at least version X2 comes out and then think of buying another computer with Windows 7 on it as well. Of course by then windows 8 will be rearing its head and so even if they get Sonar X2 or X3 to work fairly well there will be new problems with it and windows 8. Heck this makes a person so depressed. I even think of digital murder whereby I just throw the whole computer out of my 3rd story window and go back to tape....

GAMBLE
(Planeteer)
02/01/11 02:31 AM

Well I did have a good idea this would happen.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=2145296&mpage=1#2146380

Just keep in mind.

Anyone that posts something about...."audio dropping out" or "clicks and pops" or "PC keeps crashing"....is user error and/or their PC isn't up to the task.

If you think XP is up to the task....OK. We'll agree to disagree.

Those issues right there take up about a third of the complaints. That's never changed.

Another portion of the threads.....lets say 10-20%....consist of someone that may in fact have run across a legitimate glitch....but then goes off the rails in what amounts to "feature requests" that are not bug fixes. Some of those dudes over there ask for some ridiculous features....as in nobody will ever use said feature too include the person requesting it

A VERY good portion of the threads are GUI concerns. A lot of these I agree with....and they are already being addressed.

As for the rest....bugs are bugs. You're generally unlikely to run across an established one unless you specifically set out to do so.

Point is too try and keep it all in perspective.