Vs840ForEver
(Space Cadet)
07/11/17 11:23 PM
Do not sell your VS-840!!!

1 - EVEN IF you don't use your roland-vs
2- If you do,keep buying them at $80/$150 on ebay or other sites.

The reason is very simple. We are actually in a 'trend' focusing on what's cheap/free that can produce professional music. Like I said, it's a trend only. Soon enough, the younger generation born with "all you can eat" devices know they can produce something almost perfect out of an Ipad + VST.

Let me remind you that nobody is questioning the potential of using mainly computers/softwares. The main point is very simple: What have I recorded over the last years? - EVEN given the fact of impressive VSTs ? 20 years ago, I had a local music store offering me 2 bucks for my TB-303. His reason ?: It's not even Midi compatible!. Well I did wait a few years and sold it for around $600. Which is nothing. I invite you to check the prices of original baselines TB-303 today..... easily 3K.

You see - you have the choice to put value on pure virtual zeros-ones softwares, which are all hooked and registered through the internet etc... OR to focus on music. The latter is the best, by making sure that you're not distracted by any emails/facebook twitter alerts - you & your vs-840 are isolated FOR REAL in a world of music and inspiration. There's not even a clock on the vs-840...... so you're focusing ONLY on music which is AUDIO. not visual.

Do not sell your VS devices, even if you don't use them. Wrap them up and wait a few years. When musicians are just gonna want to connect to 1 thing only: Music. This 'millennial ' generation will pay a lot to go back to the basics of recording and you might find yourself selling your 840 for 1 or 2 K in 10 years from now. I strongly believe it. Just like those who thought analog synths were good for garbage because of sampling. .

Again, I encourage you to keep your vs recorder and you'll see, the 'home recording' trend will come back - because who needs an internet connexion when all you want is to record what's in your mind and soul? Do NOT sell them. It's my 'naive' advice! \:\) God bless you all my friends.!!!!!!

bert
(Planeteer)
07/12/19 10:00 PM
Re: Do not sell your VS-840!!!

What the hell. It's been sometime now since I posted even checked this place out again. I still got 3 of the 840's. One with SD card. Thx Jack444, One with the Jazz drive. And one with a hard drive, again thx Jack444.

Don't know if anyone is still here from the year 2000 but if I forget to come back here. Hello. It was a real joy recording with all you guys. I do miss it. But life took over.

Clem
(Planeteer)
07/15/19 10:02 PM

What's going on, bert? I remember you from the old days. Late 90's early 2000's. I just recently rediscovered the Planet and was motivated to spend the $40 to swap out the Zip drive and replace it with an IDE flash. Now, no more drive noise, more space and MT1 mode all the time. (The big boys with the PC systems will laugh, but it's plenty good enough for this old dog.)

WishAdministrator
(Planeteer)
07/15/19 10:41 PM

Gentlemen.

Roode_Poon
(Space Cadet)
05/01/20 05:49 PM

I'm not selling my VS-840. I'm binning it.

bert
(Planeteer)
05/27/20 03:15 AM

Hey Clem and Wish, I guess I forgot to check back after that post I left. Those were fun days. Wish I continued recording. After that get together we had life took over. Well now I'm close to retirement and got the recording gear back out. One day I hook all the patch cords up and start actually recording again. I still listen to all our jams and recordings from time to time. Some of that shit was damn good. lol Hopefully I'll check back this time and see a response.

WishAdministrator
(Planeteer)
05/27/20 03:20 AM

Hey!!!

Glad to see you!

Don’t be a stranger.

Yeah...the early days here was so fun.

I am glad I was there to participate. Great memories.

WishAdministrator
(Planeteer)
05/27/20 03:23 AM

Ooh...you have a birthday cake next to your name.

Happy Birthday too!!!

bert
(Planeteer)
05/27/20 01:00 PM

Yes, Another year blows by. lol. They just become another day after our youth. Something we don't look forward to anymore.

WishAdministrator
(Planeteer)
05/27/20 08:31 PM

Yeah...especially this year...it is a throw away year for sure.