Clem
(Planeteer)
06/23/19 09:58 PM
Effect Chain - How would you arrange the order

For tracking, this is how I have these 3 boxes coming out of the mixer's channel insert.

Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer (phase alignment)
Single ended noise reduction

The insert point is pre-EQ, by the way.

My thinking is get the sound as hot as possible with the compressor, use the Maximizer to add some clarity, and lastly reduce the noise before going to the track. Would you do it differently? If so why? And would you change it up depending on whether you were recording an electric, acoustic, bass, or vocals?

-Clem

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/24/19 02:47 AM
Re: Effect Chain - How would you arrange the order

Sonic Maxes and the like are usually meant to be placed last, or by themselves - it seems to me. If that's the case, I would do all the other processing first and maximize the processed signal going into the machine......... or save the maximize for a different part of the mixdown.

In fact, I seem to recall warnings about using maximizers on too many things separately in a mix... You might read up on this and see if there are cautions about it.

I think I would reduce noise before compressing, as well.....

Clem
(Planeteer)
06/29/19 12:45 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the info. Going back through the manuals and app notes, the Maximizer definitely states it can be used for tracking, and the Hush II Noise Reduction unit says it should be placed after other effects in the chain. So I just wasn't sure where the compressor should sit. I guess some listening tests are in order.

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/29/19 03:55 PM

Well, there ya go....

mobofsquirrels
(Planeteer)
07/01/19 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the info. Going back through the manuals and app notes, the Maximizer definitely states it can be used for tracking, and the Hush II Noise Reduction unit says it should be placed after other effects in the chain. So I just wasn't sure where the compressor should sit. I guess some listening tests are in order.

I've never seen one used for tracking. It's easy to get a very overprocessed sound with a maximizer, which is why they're typically used in post. In my experience, at least. But definitely give it a try and let us know what you think.