Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
07/18/08 09:10 PM
ANYBODY GOT A TASCAM 244 Porta-studio, 4 Track Recorder?

I had been here before and had a PM from somebody that had one and lost it when the Planet changed it's look.

I have tons of these 4 track tapes and some have songs I need to get to. If there's any way somebody could transfer some of these tapes, 4 tracks in Tascam to 4 tracks in a VS2480?? That would be awesome. My Tascam 244 Porta-studio is unrepairable!
Email me at Fcgjabq@aol.com
Thanks, Frank.

whit4541
(Space Cadet)
07/18/08 10:30 PM
Re: ANYBODY GOT A TASCAM 244 Porta-studio, 4 Track Recorder?

Ha, Frank Theres a music store here in kenner louisiana by the name of C&M music, there was a 244 their and I think they were asking 350.00,

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
07/18/08 11:10 PM

Thanks,
I'll see if I can find them on line.
Yep, they have seven locations, which one Kenner?
http://www.musiccenter.net/
Later, Frank.

whit4541
(Space Cadet)
07/19/08 01:53 PM

the one on Williams blvd.

whit4541
(Space Cadet)
07/19/08 01:57 PM

504 468-8688

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
07/19/08 07:36 PM

I called them today and they claim they do not have one and if they did, it must have sold.
David said he would call his 7 other locations in Louisianna and see any of them have one but he doesn't.
How long ago was it when you saw this one?
Thanks, Frank.

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
07/24/08 11:28 PM

I'm still looking for a Tascam 244 people.
Thanks, Frank.

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
07/25/08 04:54 PM

I found one in NYC after an hour of searching Craig's List.

Cornjerker
(Planeteer)
07/27/08 03:34 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170241692734

Hano
(Planeteer)
08/02/08 12:35 PM

Hi Frank,

I've got a Tascam 244, and it's in a perfect working condition..
but I don't really see how I can help. I'm not selling it.

But maybe, I have an idea - - - - here it is:

1) In theory you can make copies of these 244 cassettes with any normal tapedeck,
but you have to make sure that you copy both sides of the cassette tape.
Also make sure to use Type II(Chrome) quality cassettes.
I only use TDK, as it's the only brand that provided a quality guaranthee for cassettes.

2) Don't use any Noise Reduction while copying. The Tascam 244 uses DBX already, and does that "all off the time" ..
This Tascam 244 technology writes "on both sides of the tape" (2 tracks on A side, and 2 tracks on B side) and at a faster speed.

3) If you can make such copies and send them to me, I can play them back into my VS-890, (at 24 bit)
and provide you back-up CD's made of that ...

What do you say?

Hano

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
08/02/08 06:01 PM

Well, that sounds good to me but I don't have a way to copy tape to tape at the moment. I did find a working Tascam in NYC and Walrus checked it out, perfect working conditon and the guy demoed it for Walrus, recording on each track and playing it back etc...

I Bought it for $300 + 50 shipping and it got here Friday and worked for 5 mins, ate 3 tapes and now I'm don't know what to do. This is the 3rd one to eat my tapes!! I have another VSP memeber fixing 2 of them from the last tascam I bought and tried.
This is beginning to drive me nuts!!

The one I just bought is in great condition BUT when you play a tape, the take up wheel on the right sticks from time to time and the played tape bunches up in the case and if you don't stop it ASAP it will wrap around the pinch roller as well! I have a note send to Tascam Repair asking if there's a way to lube the wheel or what. Do you have any suggestions? Maybe a syringe with 3 In-1 oil in it? WD40 sprays too much even with the little red straw thingy on it, can't control it.

If all else fails, can't lube and Tascam has no parts to fix this one, then I will uy a tape to tape recorder and go your route.
Email me your address and info at Fcgjabq@aol.com
Thanks, Frank.

vvvm
(Planeteer)
08/02/08 06:09 PM

DO NOT use WD-40 onnit.

Go over to Radio Shack and get tape-head cleaner, and pinch-roller (rubber) cleaner. Also, get the foam Q-tip-like tape-head cleaners.

Use as directed.

Even easier: you can clean the heads with isopropyl (sp.?)alcohol. Now, the literature will tell you to use 100%, and that is hard to get, so I reco vodka to clean the heads.

What about the rubber pinch-rollers? Well, I always used isopropyl alcohol, 70%, for that. It is cut with water, and if you dry it off well, it should be OK now and then, tho' it could theoretically dry out the rubber. Some of it is made for massage and might have scent and oil in it; avoid that.

Note that you can use regular Q-tips - I reco good, tightly wound ones - but change them often and don't allow the fibers to build up. They actually allow you to see the cleaning progress; when the rubber pinch-rollers leave only a little grey you will know they are clean.

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
08/02/08 07:07 PM

vvm,
I appreciate the tips, I will go grab the items from Radio Shack but still, how to solve the problem of the take up wheel not winding the tape into the cassette after it is played is my main problem. I have new drive belts installed and have cleaned the heads, the pinch roller is not the cause of the problem, it's the spindle that turns the right side wheel in the cassette tape stops and the one on the left keeps playing the tape, tape starts to bunch up inside the cassette until it has no where else to go but to back out of the cassette and then wrap around the pinch roller.

If I keep an eye on the right spindle/wheel and see it stop, I can press the stop buttton and hit rewind and have the tape go back the other direction without any problem. BUt, if you just play a tape, eventually the take up spindle on the Tascam stops/sticks and the tape keeps coming from the other side and keeps playing untill the tape has no more room in the casstte and the Tascam detects a problem and stops on it's on.

Any suggestions?
Thansk, Frank.

vvvm
(Planeteer)
08/02/08 07:32 PM

Well, it sound like either

a. the belt on the take-up is not tight enough, or

b. the belt is slipping, or

c. a wheel or gear is worn.

If a., there may be a screw or spring or some such that you can adjust the tension.

If b., cleaning everything might help.

If c., you might have to replace ta part or two, although the above a. and b. tips might help.

Take off the case so that you can see the mechanism, put in a shite tape, and observe that you might mebbe see what the prob is.

I don't recall if there is more than one transport motor, but if so, one may be stopping; that could be an electrical connection problem.

But my guess?

Dirt in the transport mechanism.

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
08/03/08 08:24 PM

There are two belts, ones a large black flat rubber band on a weighted wheel and the othere is an large "O" ring band on a smaller grooved wheel. Both are tight. I have a set of new ones but replacing them and getting the tension set right to keep things in tune is not easy, IMO. The belts that came on it are new as well, the guy had replaced them recently. I emailed Tascam repair and should get a response Mon or Tues. I'll see what they have to say as well before I procede and possibly screw things up.
Thanks, Frank.

vvvm
(Planeteer)
08/03/08 08:39 PM

G'luck!

Oh, one more thing, make sure that the spindles, reels, gears etc. are all tight and aligned ...

Check the "O" ring clamps, and make sure any springs (including the safety-pin type "L"-shaped) are locked in their retainers, with no broken or loose fittings.

Finally, check the head tension; can you loosen it at all?

Walrus44
(Planeteer)
08/04/08 01:02 AM

Frank, did you check with Rupen. Perhaps something became out of alignment in the shipping end? There were no problems with eating tape when we demoed the unit.

Walrus44

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
08/04/08 11:39 PM

I checked with Rupen. The belts are only 6 months old.
I hink it maybe a combination of something jarring loose in shipping and the very dry climate here in the dessert, humidity as low as 15%. Big difference from New York. I think I'l take it to a local Music store that does Tascam repairs and have them set it up.
Later...

Walrus44
(Planeteer)
08/05/08 12:15 AM

Good idea. It could be the humidity. These machines are tempermental like that. Good luck. It wouldn't hurt to set up the unit . . . probably a good thing.

Paul

Frank Griffith
(Planeteer)
08/30/08 09:27 PM

FYI,
I got the Tascam out of the shop today, it was the idler arm and I had a new pinch roller so I had them install that as well, now it's working perfect!!
Finally, a working Tascam 244 and I have my old one for spare parts if I ever need it. It's weird to listen to the old tapes from the 80s, man recording gear has come a long way, IMO.
Later, Frank.

Doofie
(Planeteer)
09/21/08 03:33 AM

Just read this. Glad you got it working. I have a TASCAM 246 is pristine condition. Not for sale though. I loved it when it was all I had.

Hano
(Planeteer)
09/21/08 02:34 PM

Good to hear about it, and
also that they still do repairs on them ..

Sounds quite different ain'it? \:\)

I think that the first single of 'The Cure'
- Forrest - was recorded on one like these ..
The mastering surely happened somewhere else.

Hano

Timster
(Loquacious Planeteer)
09/22/08 05:02 AM

I have a tascam Porta one. I see know reason I could transfer your cassetes into wav. files. I could then e-mail you the wav. files, and you can suck them up into your machine.

Timster
(Loquacious Planeteer)
09/22/08 05:04 AM

Oh, maybe not. The porta one just records to one side.

ReubDot
(Space Cadet)
01/01/13 06:05 PM

I have a Tascam 244 Portastudio, I installed new belts, a pinch roller, and capstans. I only recorded (1) 30 minute tape, but probably recorded a good day to make it.

bear
(Planeteer)
01/01/13 06:38 PM

Wow an answer to a 5 year old post... might be a new record.

wailinfree
(Planeteer)
10/18/13 05:48 PM

Frankie
curious did you ever get a porta studio
I have a 688 midi studio I was thinking of firing up again
what did you want one for??

Dr. Altsack aka Volltreffer
(Planeteer)
11/02/13 09:18 AM

I think the bay will be the right place to look for...: (ok this one's in Germany...)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tascam-Portastudi...=item54003f4661

mutetourettes
(Planeteer)
12/22/13 09:09 PM

just in case this helps anyone who finds this thread in the future.... here's an in depth guide to tascam 244 service/maintenance.. the main thing is to do the rubber holy trinity while the things open (ie belts, pinchroller and idler tyres) ... I'm about to go through all this with my 246

http://www.mzentertainment.com/studio_workshop_tascam_244.html

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
12/22/13 10:52 PM

Ah, the joys of changing belts and wheels!
My first Tascam was the 144... the mono version of the 244 that came out the year before, if memory serves... Of course I bought the 144 at near retail just a month or so before hearing about the coming 244, wouldn't 'cha know.

flatcatAdministrator
(Loquacious Planeteer)
02/23/14 12:19 AM

I was thinking about this. Theoretically, couldn't you do this with software and a regular tape player?

To import into a computer, you record tracks one and two as normal. For three and four, you'd flip the tape and record it, giving you tracks three and four, backwards.

Then you just reverse three and four using software (I think Reaper does this, I know that my old standby CoolEdit2000 does), then speed up playback.

Wouldn't that work? Or does the noise reduction in the Tascam make the audio unusable outside of it?

bear
(Planeteer)
02/23/14 02:09 AM

I have done something similar - I had an irreplaceable tape (from an old guy telling a story who is now dead)that was recorded on a portastudio at 2x speed

I recorded it from a normal cassete deck into a wav file at 44.1, then manually edited the meta-data header of the wav file to make it think it was recorded at 88.2

It then played back perfectly at the normal speed...

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
02/23/14 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: flatcat
I was thinking about this. Theoretically, couldn't you do this with software and a regular tape player?

To import into a computer, you record tracks one and two as normal. For three and four, you'd flip the tape and record it, giving you tracks three and four, backwards.

Then you just reverse three and four using software (I think Reaper does this, I know that my old standby CoolEdit2000 does), then speed up playback.

Wouldn't that work? Or does the noise reduction in the Tascam make the audio unusable outside of it?

A problem you're more than likely to run into will be in syncing the two passes of paired tracks after you've reversed the wave files of the second pair. You'll find that the pairs will drift frequently and will require manual editing to nudge them back in sync.

Since we're talking about a tape recording, with no option for syncing to the computer from the tape machine, the drift will vary unpredictably. It can be re-sync'd, but will take a load of patience and some clever editing to conceal both gaps and snips.

Oh! The reversing of the second pair of tracks should work without a hitch.

_______

Timster
(Loquacious Planeteer)
06/26/14 11:17 PM

ok, stupid question, could you use a Tascam porta one instead?

uptildawn
(Planeteer)
06/27/14 12:06 AM

Only if the playback head layout is compatible with that of the original. Doesn't have to be exactly the same, but it has to be able to read the individual tracks, without crosstalk and any other weirdness.

Timster
(Loquacious Planeteer)
06/27/14 03:43 AM

I think I still have a porta one somewhere. Probably has broken belts on it. I had to replace them several times.