Page 3 of 9 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1023931 - 01/20/11 01:59 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: the man incognito]
the man incognito Offline
Planeteer

Loc: .
 Originally Posted By: the man incognito
 Originally Posted By: the man incognito
Maybe I'm missing something.
The directions say:

"To operate on VirDis Files, drag the *.bin or *.hdd file into the list of Found Roland Drives. After storing a file via VS onto the VirDis, hit F5 in the Wave Export App to refresh the content."

I drag and drop the .BIN file into the the area and nothing happens...any suggestions?

Trying to look at this again because its time to make the move off the 2480...
I'm having the same issue.
Nothing happens when I drag and drop the .BIN file created by VirDIS into the 'Found drives and file:' area of the VS Wave Export.
Still looking for suggestions to get this to work.

Nobody on the forum has anything for me??

#1023933 - 01/20/11 02:16 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: the man incognito]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
Well, I just wanted you to know you are not being ignored...

I don't have VIRDIS so I can't help, but I know it works for some people...

Maybe start a fresh post in the 2480 forum or even the BarandGrill to make sure someone who does have VIRDIS can respond. Have yu tried getting in touch with Bill Casey who developed VirDis?

#1023951 - 01/20/11 03:41 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: bear]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
I'm not in this forum very often because I don't use the 2480 and there are too many differences between it and the 1680 I do use for me to be of much use.... but I do use VirDis now and then.

First thing that comes to mind is to ask what recording mode your VS files are in... No problem for VirDis to store in its bin files, but VSWE does not recognize/work with certain VS formats.... LIV formats in particular... Is this a possible source of the problem you're experiencing?

Did you hit F5 with VSWE the active window to refresh it after dropping the bin file into VSWE?

If I think of anything else, I'll certainly be happy to help out.

Calling/writing to Bill Casey is an excellent idea (as bear suggested). Bill isn't too active on the forums (I suspect since I haven't seen him post in a long while), so getting a hold of him directly would be much faster than waiting for him to respond here.

#1025008 - 01/26/11 12:41 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: uptildawn]
the man incognito Offline
Planeteer

Loc: .
Thanks for both posts...
I don't think its a VIRDIS issue...it creates .bin files that are file. Seems more like a VSWE issue.
None of my songs use LIV formats, so that can't be it.
But something as I read closer

"After storing a file via VS onto the VirDis..."

After storing?

Would be nice if VSWE supplied some sort of visual queues to show if something was working or not..

I haven't tried with a .hdd file yet.
Maybe that will solve my issue...if not, I'll hit Bill up.

#1025018 - 01/26/11 02:51 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: the man incognito]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

After storing simply means after saving a VS song to a VirDis virtual drive... probably also have to eject the virtual drive from the VS connection so it's not locked down... not sure what else it could mean.

#1028290 - 02/16/11 02:38 PM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: uptildawn]
LakeStone Karl Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Eastern PA, USA
I used the "PACK" feature, but the resulting .EXE fails.

When I try to run it, I get a "Testing Mode" message box, then a "Path Not Found" message box, then it quits.

Any Ideas??

-karl

LakeStone On The Web

#1028353 - 02/17/11 01:22 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: LakeStone Karl]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: LakeStone Karl
I used the "PACK" feature, but the resulting .EXE fails.

When I try to run it, I get a "Testing Mode" message box, then a "Path Not Found" message box, then it quits.

Any Ideas??

There's your problem. Don't use "PACK".
Not only will you get .wav files, but you'll be able to see VSWE actually showing its progress as it builds the files for you.

I'm just guessing that the Pack mode is designed for something other than building .wav files....... Got no idea what it IS for.... just no reason to use it. sure, it makes the resulting .exe file very small, but it doesn't give you .wav files, which is what we're after here.... right?

Edited by uptildawn (02/17/11 01:23 AM)

#1028575 - 02/18/11 08:46 PM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: uptildawn]
LakeStone Karl Offline
Planeteer

I thought the whole idea behind the PACK feature was to place a bunch of WAVS into a self-extracting ZIPfile!!

-karl

LakeStone On The Web

#1028576 - 02/18/11 08:51 PM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: LakeStone Karl]
jazzbassnick Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Los Angeles-ish
 Originally Posted By: LakeStone Karl
I thought the whole idea behind the PACK feature was to place a bunch of WAVS into a self-extracting ZIPfile!!

Me too! ;\)

Worst Kitchen Direct

AmazonMP3

iTunes

#1028651 - 02/19/11 03:42 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: jazzbassnick]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Well, an .exe file is not a zip file... What does the .exe file self-extract into?

So, looking at this pack mode more carefully tonight, I see that what it does is reduce the size of the data cd rip (obviously). I guess that's designed as a convenient way to store bunches of cd rips into a small amount of space.

Ultimately, you must drag the .exe file into VSWE to extract the .wav files... notice that .exe icon is a VSWE icon. The file doesn't self-extract by double-clicking on it, because there's nowhere for it to self-extract. That's why you get the error message... I don't know what "testing mode" means, although I see it as well.

At any rate, to extract the .wav files, you have to drag the .exe file into VSWE.

If you're not concerned about storage space (with terabyte drives for less than $100, it's kinda tough to be stingy on space these days), then just use the Export button instead. You'll get .wav files right away.

#1028653 - 02/19/11 03:57 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: uptildawn]
jazzbassnick Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Los Angeles-ish
Admittedly, I haven't looked at VSWE in awhile, but self-extracting zips have been around as long as I can remember with WinZip. I think the original idea was you could zip files to self-extracting exe file then pass the archive to someone who didn't have WinZip installed.

The icon association *shouldn't* mean anything, as it's relatively easy to assign an icon to anything.

Worst Kitchen Direct

AmazonMP3

iTunes

#1028698 - 02/19/11 05:51 PM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: jazzbassnick]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: jazzbassnick
Admittedly, I haven't looked at VSWE in awhile, but self-extracting zips have been around as long as I can remember with WinZip. I think the original idea was you could zip files to self-extracting exe file then pass the archive to someone who didn't have WinZip installed.

The icon association *shouldn't* mean anything, as it's relatively easy to assign an icon to anything.

I considered those very valid points as well. My point being that if you're after the .wav files you have to drage the .exe into VSWE to get at them. You can't get them by double-clicking the .exe file, or via a right-click "extract" menu like you can with a program like WinZip.

Maybe the "Testing Mode" message means that the function was still under construction????

Edited by uptildawn (02/19/11 05:59 PM)

#1028714 - 02/19/11 07:10 PM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: uptildawn]
LakeStone Karl Offline
Planeteer

Well, I can certainly extract the WAVs myself, then pack them myself, it's not rocket science.

But I thought the PACK button did that *for* me.

Self-extracting ZIPS almost always have a ".exe" extension.

When sharing large files over the internet, ZIPs and SelfExtractors can speed things up considerably.

-karl

LakeStone On The Web

#1028743 - 02/20/11 04:07 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: LakeStone Karl]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Yes...... you can certainly use the packed button to have VSWE pack the VS song file for you. I don't think that's in question anymore (especially since I hopefully cleared up any confusion brought on by my own initial confusion). \:\)

Maybe VSWE is THE "self-extraction" program that's required at both ends of the file pack/share scenario. The way that WinZip or Windows compression program is the program used to "self-extract" a compressed folder created with Win...

After all a compressed folder doesn't normally "self-extract" by clicking on it, you must choose to extract it through the right-click menu, or have that compressed folder-type designated in Windows to automatically send it to the compression program.

Maybe you could go into the workings of Windows and assign that file-type to open in VSWE with a simple double-click. I didn't try that, but I did try adding VSWE to the right-click list of programs and all I could get that to do was to open VSWE... It didn't put the .exe file in the VSWE window.

Absolutely... for sharing files, this packed type is great... You just need VSWE at both ends... Simple install... free program... painless.

Edited by uptildawn (02/20/11 04:09 AM)

#1028748 - 02/20/11 04:22 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: uptildawn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Oh! I just realized another point you were trying to make that I wasn't understanding...
When you say "self-extracting zip files", you're talking about self-extracting program files! I understand now how you could think that that file with the .exe at the end should self-extract... Unlike a ZIP file, which in my experience never has an .exe extension, but a .zip extension instead.

A self-extracting compressed file with an .exe extension must also have the necessary files included in it in which to self-extract into, correct? Do you know of a way to find out what files are contained within the .exe file created by VSWE?

I did notice the .wav files being created by VSWE before the packed file was completed the last two times I tested... It's the same progress bars I see when I normally extract the .wav files. So, it appears that during the "Packed" operation VSWE extracts/creates .wav files of all the track just as it normally would, but then puts them, along with the other necessary VS song file data into the compressed .exe file.

But what else does it put in there??? Not a copy of the program, from what I can tell.

#1028750 - 02/20/11 04:28 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: jazzbassnick]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: jazzbassnick
Admittedly, I haven't looked at VSWE in awhile, but self-extracting zips have been around as long as I can remember with WinZip. I think the original idea was you could zip files to self-extracting exe file then pass the archive to someone who didn't have WinZip installed...

Just another point I'd like clarification on.

If someone were to create a self-extracting file (with an .exe extension) and want to send it via email or otherwise over the net, wouldn't they also first need to contain the .exe file inside a zipped folder? I know I always have to.

#1028893 - 02/21/11 02:23 PM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: uptildawn]
LakeStone Karl Offline
Planeteer

utd....a little history....

When ZIP files first were introduced, the program "WinZip" was required both to pack the files and to unpack them.

Eventually, WinZip evolved and made a version where only the sender needed the program. The term "self-extracting ZIP file" refers to an executable file that contains all the instructiuons required to extracts it's contents to a user-selectable location.

So it is very common these days to have a .EXE file that needs no help to extracts it's own contents.

But somehow that functionality is corrupt on my version of VSWE. I was just wondering if it works for anybody??

-karl

LakeStone On The Web

#1028896 - 02/21/11 02:54 PM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: LakeStone Karl]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Well, then I'd say I've confirmed that it's corrupt on mine as well, since I also receive the same messages as you if I try to simply open it.

Thanks for the info.. there's a lot about computers I simply don't know the history.

#1041166 - 05/01/11 06:49 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: uptildawn]
headwerkn2 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Countryside, Tasmania
Hi all,

Not sure if this one has been covered yet... nothing mentioned on the VS Wave Export page for dealing with the darned MSCOMCTL.OCX file under Windows 7; a different command is required to register it so the app will start up.

Found a working solution here -> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...cc-9130eb17fdb4

- MSCOMCTL.OCX is a set of 32-bit controls that were provided with the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 programming environment
- FLAC frontend is written in Visual Basic 6.0 (it seems, I do not use FLAC)
- To use 32-bit controls like MSCOMCTL.OCX on a 64-bit version of Windows 7 they have to be installed and registered in: C:\Windows\SysWOW64 to run in the "WOW [Windows on Windows] emulation environment
- On my install of 64-bit Windows 7 I found MSCOMCTL.OCX already present in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory, I am not sure if its there by default or if I installed something that placed it there for me.

- If you go to your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory and see MSCOMCTL.OCX already in there then try this:

Browse to your command prompt shortcut via Start-->All Programs-->Accessories-->Command Prompt. Right click on that Command Prompt icon and choose and Run as administrator. Click Yes to tell UAC you really want to run it.

When the black window open with your command prompt type this in:

cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64 - push Enter key

The prompt should change to: C:\Windows\SysWOW64

They type:

regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx - push Enter key

If you get a Window that pops up and says, "DllRegisterServer in mscomctl.ocx succeeded" then click OK and try the frontend install again.

-----

The whole 32/64 bit thing is important... I realised I was running 64 bit Windows 7 virtualised under Parallels on my i3 iMac, the component file needs to go in a different folder so the 32bit program can run in XP emulation mode.

What's the chance of a MacOSX native version of the converter app ever being written/adapted?

Cheers, Ben.

Edited by headwerkn2 (05/01/11 06:53 AM)

#1044858 - 05/24/11 02:40 PM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: Zed Leppelin]
Infinitymobile Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Kansas City
after completing the process of exporting the wav files, all of my wav files are silent? When I look at the properties, they show large file sizes as if there is data there but when I open the wav files there is a straight line where the wafeform should be? Any ideas?

My name is Thad Scott

http://www.infinitymobilerecording.com

MAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOMES!!!!!!!!

#1045592 - 05/29/11 02:26 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: shanabit]
cooljuanv Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: kankakee il.
Can I use WaveExport on a mac?

#1064515 - 09/04/11 02:53 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: cooljuanv]
headwerkn2 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Countryside, Tasmania
With Parallels or VMware running a Windows install on an Intel Mac, yes. There is no native MacOSX version of the software though.

I'm actually about to begin learning Objective-C and MacOSX development; doing an OSX version would be something I'd love to do if/when I ever get the skills. If the original author would be happy to share the core libraries that make the Roland to WAV conversion possible, please get in touch with me!

Cheers, Ben.

#1064531 - 09/04/11 03:48 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: headwerkn2]
bear Offline
Planeteer

There are two main tasks here (3 if you count CD ripping...)

One is to take the RDAC encoded audio information in a roland TAKE file and convert it to .wav

The other is to decode the information in the EVENTLST file, which has all the timeline information for placing audio at the correct spot in the song timeline.

Danielo handled this by making all wav files start at time 0 and padding with silence.

Randygo handled this in the reaper .dll by presenting internal reaper pointers to indicate start times for all TAKE files.

Neither of these guys have been seen around here for a LONG time. Although I actually emailed Randygo a few weeks ago by accident, and he replied.

Danielo is still available by email through his goodlibrary website as far as I know.

The original RDAC conversion stuff is written in C and I believe I have source for some of the original work archived somewhere. Eventually this was turned into a .dll for other programs to use.

Danielos VSWE was written in VisualBasic - I do not do Visual Basic, but I THINK I have source for ver 1.23. Since I do not have VB I do not know if it complete or compilable.

I never got a copy of Randygo source for the Reaper .dll, so unless he is willing to provide it, and still has it, this is lost code.

Dealing with the EVENTLST is very tricky - much work went into reverse-engineering it.

Actually Randygo and Danielo went about it slightly differently - I haves seen cases where Reaper can deal with backup files that VSWE cannot.

#1074768 - 10/21/11 07:32 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: bear]
jpmcneil Offline
Space Cadet

Bear and Headwerkn2: Any movement on the above? I have a crashed 2400, and am considering buying a 2480 on ebay...or just bailing from the whole VS thing (like Roland bailed on us). But I got lots of data disks with lots of tracks on em, and nowhere to go. The file for the software link online is corrupted (careful). I would be internally, externally, and e-ternally grateful if anyone can re-create that magical thing. I bet there are others who feel the same. Thanks, JP
#1074771 - 10/21/11 08:07 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: jpmcneil]
bear Offline
Planeteer

jpmcneil - email me - my addy is in my profile - and I will reply to you with VSWE, the ripper and reaper.dll package
#1102244 - 02/03/12 12:19 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: shanabit]
Mark_Tokach Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: United States
I have a client who brought me 2 hard drives that were from sessions done on a vs 2480. I am not sure of the contents. I mean I'm not sure if songs are saved as back up files or not. Is there a way to back these drives up before I try anything? What is the best way to ensure I don't mess anything up? I don't have easy access to a 2480 at the moment. Will this even work this way? TIA, Mark.
#1102246 - 02/03/12 12:38 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: Mark_Tokach]
Frank Griffith Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 300
Planeteer

Loc: "All Be Quirky", NM
You need to have a VS to do the VS backups. VSWavexport should be able to handle the VS hard drives no problem. That's how it's done, just pull the HD out of the VS and daisey chain it in a PC with WavEx.
VS2480DVD,3-VS8F-2/1-VS8F-3 & 5 plugins+Auto-Tune,MassHiRes EQ,UA Bundle,Chrometone,Soundblender/TC Reverb,T-Racks.Dyns BM5A's,Roland DS50A's,M-Audio 2.1,PreSonus TubePre w/Rode NT1000,SM57&58,MXL V57&V67,B-5,XV5050,Yamaha P200,Oxygen8 V2,Behring V-amps,SansAmp DI, Taylor,Gibsons,Fender,Ric,Washburn Bass.2 RPC-1's,PC Sonar 4, Acid 5, Wavelab etc.

#1102250 - 02/03/12 01:06 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: Frank Griffith]
Mark_Tokach Offline
Space Cadet

Just to clarify, I just have the drives, no 2480, I read somewhere that you are not supposed to try this with 2480 system drives with out doing backups first. I also read that it can work with non backed up projects from the drive but not backed up projects from the drive, only from the cd.
When you do this does it remove the data from the disks or just copy and convert it? There is a lot of important data on 2 drives. 3 projects worth or so. Also when the process is done, are the files all going to start at the same point in a song? Will they play in sync or does one have to move them? Never had any experience with vs 2480 or the like. Is there any advantage using reaper or is it just another way. I use Cubase 6 by the way. Can I just copy the entire contents of the drives as a backup to be safe? Thanks, worried!

#1102259 - 02/03/12 01:54 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: Mark_Tokach]
Frank Griffith Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 300
Planeteer

Loc: "All Be Quirky", NM
If you don't have a VS, you can't do backups ups first unless you can clone thpose HDs first but I'm not sure what software will clone the VS format files on an HD. Maybe Norton Ghost?

All you need are the drives.
Daisy chain ie, plug the hard drive into the cables the burner is plugged into so it reads as a spare HD in the PC.

Yes the songs will all play correctly from zero etc just like they did in the VS. It will export the raw wav files off the HD. Reaper is great for working with the VS song files, you can just drop them into Reaper and save as .wav or mp3 etc.

Hang around for more info on the rest of your questions.Of coure, if you read thru this VSWavEx post most of your questions will be answered, IMO.
Good luck.
VS2480DVD,3-VS8F-2/1-VS8F-3 & 5 plugins+Auto-Tune,MassHiRes EQ,UA Bundle,Chrometone,Soundblender/TC Reverb,T-Racks.Dyns BM5A's,Roland DS50A's,M-Audio 2.1,PreSonus TubePre w/Rode NT1000,SM57&58,MXL V57&V67,B-5,XV5050,Yamaha P200,Oxygen8 V2,Behring V-amps,SansAmp DI, Taylor,Gibsons,Fender,Ric,Washburn Bass.2 RPC-1's,PC Sonar 4, Acid 5, Wavelab etc.

#1103050 - 02/07/12 02:01 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: Frank Griffith]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, IL
OK - so without reading 20000+ posts....what gives with exporting stereo wav files?....I've successfully done it with mono wavs, but when I select track export on a linked pair, it doesn't select them both and when it spits out teh wav, the size looks reasonable (twice as big as a mono file) but only has the left side's name and is about 19min long for a 4 min clip....I dumped the tracks from a linked pair to the mastering room in non-CDR format and they are linked in the mastering room, but when I select them for export, I have to choose L and R individually...doesn't seem right....anyway I can do this without downloading this tool and/or playing hard drive boogie?

#1106567 - 02/22/12 10:07 PM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: Frank Griffith]
Mark_Tokach Offline
Space Cadet

Can I use an external enclosure that is usb 2.0 for the vs 2480 drives or must I hook up as IDE to burner?
#1106708 - 02/23/12 08:19 PM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: Mark_Tokach]
Mark_Tokach Offline
Space Cadet

Ok I have no success with cd2roland with a drive hooked up via usb to win xp sp2 PC. I guess it only works with backup cd's. Vs wave export now works since I got MSCOM file.I open it with drive connected and can see partitions. How can I tell if the drives are in backup mode or playable only by looking at the contents of drive? This drive is a dear old friend's life work. He has passed and there are a lot of projects on this. It recomends not using main system drive with vs wave export. I want to be very safe here! There are several partitions all in the 10 gb range in size.
Can I use Magic iso on the drives to get them on a dvd?It seems safer to use the other. Or do I need to go to someone that has a vs 2480? It looks like that program will do large files if you buy it. Almost there! Thanks

Edited by Mark_Tokach (02/23/12 08:25 PM)

#1106779 - 02/24/12 12:23 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: Mark_Tokach]
bear Offline
Planeteer

If you have the actual VS drives hooked to the PC, then there is no need for the CD2ROLAND program. Just use the VSWE program directly to convert the Roland files to .wav.

When you do the convert, specify the destination write of the converted wav files to your PC harddrive NOT the VS drive.

DO NOT write to the VS drive while it is hooked to your PC

Partitions on the VS drive past 4 WILL NOT be visible from normal windows. You MUST use the VSWE program to see them

#1113300 - 03/24/12 04:51 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: Zed Leppelin]
Mikey Mike Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Larchmont, NY
just checked out this post.... tried to download the VS export App but not getting anything coming up on the link :

http://www.thegoodlibrary.com/VSWaveExport.html

is it somewhere else?

Thanks!

#1113301 - 03/24/12 05:33 AM Re: VS WaveExport Instructions [Re: Mikey Mike]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

You know, this comes up now and again.

I just used the link you provided and I can access each of the links on the good library page with no problem.

I just wonder if it isn't something set in either your web browser, firewall, or anti-virus that's causing the links to not work.

Sending you a PM.... I hope.

Page 3 of 9 <12345>Last »

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159741 Topics
1849566 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.