Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#1006612 - 10/26/10 06:57 AM spdif to usb adapter
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
Trying to connect a RME ADi-2 spdif to the USB or Firewire of a Reaper loaded PC ... any cheaper device around ??

$450 just a for a cable Yikes http://www.halidedesign.com/bridge/?gclid=CJq2yMb776QCFRxqgwod70Gz0g

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/26/10 07:07 AM)

#1006652 - 10/26/10 04:16 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
That cable (and others devices like it)is only one-way, isn't it? (from pc out to dac)
Wouldn't you want input as well?

Or am I completely off base here?..... not like that has ever happened before. \:\)

Appears to be lots of options online. Here's one: http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html

another: http://www.audiophileproducts.com/usb-to-spdif

These are well under the $450 price for that inline converter... probably not the same quality either, as might be expected.

I don't have much need for ultra-high-end stereo systems myself, so I'm going largely on what I've read about this stuff..... not that it wouldn't be nice to be able to afford to be that fussy.

Steer me in the right direction if I've gone wrong here.

#1006678 - 10/26/10 06:39 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: uptildawn]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Hey DT -- trying to go from our RME spdif to the PC .. is there a favorite card I should just install ? Most of the RME's now have USB, unfortunately......

#1006679 - 10/26/10 06:42 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: uptildawn]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Great info as always here ~!!

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/26/10 10:41 PM)

#1006680 - 10/26/10 06:43 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: uptildawn]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Most of the RME's now have USB, unfortunately......

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/26/10 10:42 PM)

#1006681 - 10/26/10 07:01 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
That RME card is an extremely high quality AD card with SPDIF out. It would kind of defeat the purpose to get a cheap 16 bit 44.1 USB interface....

Actually I think it is time for you to get off your tight ass and buy a good PC interface - I suggest an RME multiface, or better yet a USB like

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirefaceUC/

Come on dude, you have been meandering around for about 2 years talking about it, you do this recording gig for real, for real money. Time to crap or get off the pot.

Let a couple of moths out of your wallet and spring for something good.

BTW, that cable you listed above is a joke. Stay away from it.

#1006695 - 10/26/10 08:21 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: bear]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Houston, TX
Yep - Just get a good interface that will handle all of your I/O IMO. The Fireface UC is a good unit - but I think C-Jo should be looking at something that can replace the 2480 and V-Fire/RPC setup he is using now IMO (16 I/O). The FF-UC might be able to squeak by if you add an ADAT AD/DA converter to it...

Like bear so eloquenty stated: Crap or get off the pot. You don't want to buy some gear now only to have to replace it when you want to retire your 2480...

#1006724 - 10/26/10 10:02 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: Randyman...]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Sure - add a behringer ADA8000 for 8 more analog I/O - gives you 18 ins and 18 outs altogether - two super high quality from the RME ADI-2, 8 more very good quality from the RME, and 8 more pretty good from the behringer

I do not like behringer stuff much, except for two pieces - the ADA8000 and the headphone distribution amp - both of these have worked well for me.

The ADA8000 is certainly good enough for line level stuff.

Or sell the RME ADI-2 and get some other good MIC pre. You don't really need it.

Edited by bear (10/26/10 10:04 PM)

#1006728 - 10/26/10 10:05 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: bear]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Hell,if I had your money, I would buy 2....
#1006739 - 10/26/10 10:34 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: bear]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

I'd agree on selling the ADI in lieu of other outboard gear (preamp, etc).

Lol - My "Money" comes courtesy of paitience (been collecting slowly for 15 or more years now) and a fat M/C debt \:\( Luckily I got a small inheretance when my Grandmother passed away recently and was able to get a nice chunk paid off - but it's still pretty scary to see my balance DIY has also been very nice to me in terms of performance per dollar ;\)

I'm not "big time" by any means! I just sacrafice other goodies (like a $100/mo Smart Phone bill, a new car payment, etc) for my Pro-Audio obsession. I'd love a new ride (driving a '99 Tacoma with 215,000 miles on it!) - but I'd prefer to spend cash on gear \:\) It's a sickness - but one I can just barely manage if you overlook my M/C balance ;\) ...

#1006740 - 10/26/10 10:35 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: uptildawn]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

The Manley pre is still hi-quality, going to keep that one -- just bought the RME ADI-2 -- guess I could sell it & look into the gear your suggesting .........just don't want to make another purchase in the wrong direction ,,,,,will try to put the ADI-2 up for sale

thanks

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/26/10 11:05 PM)

#1006744 - 10/26/10 10:44 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

You'll need a card - so either get a cheap SPDIF one - or save and get one that will eventually be able to replace your 2480 when the time comes ;\)

Even if the MoBo had a SPDIF jack, the MoBo's onboard audio will generally have un-usable latency for any kind of realtime monitoring. This would work for mixing, but not for any kind of tracking...

Moving over to the PC slowly is what I did. Started by using the 2480 solo, then tried mastering the 2480's mixes in Wavelab, added a PC just to record/track on (used the 2480 for all monitoring and "live" effects) - then began using the PC's effects in tandem - then scrapped the 2480 altogether. Took me about 18 months to make the move - and I'm glad I did...

A $500 used RME Multiface and a DIY PC is what got me started in PC DAW ville - and it grew from there...

#1006747 - 10/26/10 11:15 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: Randyman...]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

I have the PC ... Reaper loaded (well tweaked by a noted Planeteer ) will slowly sell my RME /TC /Lexi/ Masterlink gear ... keep my Kurzweils > hopefully the Reaper works well with Midi Sync

#1006752 - 10/26/10 11:59 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

Sounds like a plan. Just don't paint yourself into a corner until you are 100% confident in your system's abilities and are comfortable with its operation. And make sure your first "PC Only" recordings aren't during an important session!!! Get plenty of practice recording yourself or friends before you bet the bank on an important session. Limp along with the half-and-half setup for as long as it takes to become 100% confident in your abiliaites to drive the system correctly.

I personally don't know much about MIDI and Reaper - so someone more knowledgeable than me (pretty much anyone!) will have to confirm that. \:p

#1006756 - 10/27/10 12:11 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: Randyman...]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I keep forgetting who's asking the questions when Joe asks what appears to be an innocent enough question about a particular interface. \:\)

Randyman and bear have known you a lot longer.... They seem to be able to get the the core issue quick!

I, too, got started on the PC with a single RME Multiface (with PCI card for the desktop pc) and began by transfering 8 tracks at a time in realtime from the 1680 into SawStudio daw.

Although I ended up abandoning the idea of using the 1680 as an input/output mixer/routing device early on, I did try it for just a bit.

It's just so much smoother, easier, cleaner, less of a headache to simply use a high quality PC interface like the RME stuff, hook monitoring needs directly to it and be done with it.

Personally, I like the Multiface breakout box because of its combination of analog I/O and digital I/O (via ADAT and spdif) and the PCI (or PCIe, or pcmcia for laptop) interface card... 8 analog, 8 adat and 2 spdif ins and outs, plus a pair of midi connectors and headphone preamp/line output.

A lot of folk like the PCI card-style units RME makes, where the cables connect directly to the card. And RME makes some rock-solid USB and Firewire units, complete with preamps too... like that 2-channel unit you got, Joe. But, you need many more than just 2 inputs and outputs to make it really work for you.

I still use the 1680 for some things and can always hook it up as a front end to the Multiface if I choose to.... but I just use whatever preamps I like/have on hand, really. I prefer 8-channel preamps for convenience and cost at this point, but I'll experiment with a couple really good 2-channel units at some point...

#1006763 - 10/27/10 12:38 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: uptildawn]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

RME Rules. Used RME pwns all!

New Multiface + PCI = $1000. Used Multiface + PCI = $500 or even as low as $370 on eBay . Same drivers, same stability, etc (the "New" Multiface-II's AD/DA's are slightly improved - that's about the only difference). Can't beat that with a bat!

I agree with uptildawn that using the VS as a "Front End" doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless your have a 2480 and RPC-1's or a V-Fire - assuming you aren't limited by it and don't mind sticking with Windows XP (RPC/V-Fire driver issues over in W7 land).

If you find the 2480 is limiting you in any way, then doing it all in the PC just makes sense to me (assuming you have a modern PC that plays well as a DAW) - but you will have to get the I/O you need happening on the PC. Using the 2480 as a fader control surface is a possibility and is still basicaly an "All PC Setup" with a physical MIDI control surface.

So C-jo - you are worried about Reaper and MIDI. I thought the 2480 didn't do any kind of MIDI sequencing or recording - so how are you currently sync'ing your keyboard sequences to your 2480's live audio? I guess you build you sequences while slaved to the 2480's MTC after the band records their tracks? And then the keyboards just "play along" using the 2480 as a time reference (otherwords - no actual MIDI recording is done anywhere but inside the Keyboards - correct?). I'd assume that will be fairly easy to get done in Reaper - but again I'm a MIDI dunce \:\)

The MIDI complexity comes when you are trying to run tons of software synths (VSTi's) and do a bunch of MIDI sequencing inside the PC. You can basically work the way you do now with Reaper (all sequences play from your keyboards and spit out Analog Audio to your soundcard), and then slowly start figuring out how to take advantage of the PC's VSTi's and insane MIDI editing capabilities as you learn your system.

I know I'd be freaked out if I had to learn how to run a PC DAW for a full band's worth of Analog I/O & monitoring plus have to learn PC MIDI/VSTi all at the same time! Take them one at a time - and you will liekly feel less intimidated as the MIDI part of your setup won't really change until you need it to. Once you are comfortable with the analog I/O setups and tracking/mixing/monitoring on the PC, the MIDI stuff should be a LOT easier to comprehend...

#1006782 - 10/27/10 01:31 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: Randyman...]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Thanks guys -- I will sell our RME ( we just purchased ) and search for a FIrewire version .

We sync the Kurzweils sequencers to the VS >> the 16 channels of the keyboards analog are never recorded to the VS.

SO we have a full 24 channels of just vocals/guitars & 16 ch of keys/drums/strings/etc & 8 channels of Lexi/TC electronics ALL at mixdown to a Masterlink

Any reason that PCI version is better than a straight Firewire :: on the RME ??

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/27/10 01:34 AM)

#1006786 - 10/27/10 01:50 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

I prefer PCI as it has literally never let me down. Firewire can be a good deal more finicky as the PC's chipsets need to be compatible with the interface, etc (generally look for Texas Instruments or "TI" Firewire chips in the PC for the best chance of success).

Also, the RME Multiface/Digiface have been around for quite a while now - and are still sold new. So driver support is stellar, and you can buy used ones for 50% or less than the cost of a new one (ALL of my RME gear was purchased used for incredible savings!!!). The RME Firewire and USB interfaces are relatively new by comparison, and have retained their resale much better than the somewhat misunderstood Multiface/Digiface PCI/PCIe setups. Like I mentioned I saw a Multiface with PCI card sell for like $370 last year!!!

You could get a used RME Digiface for approx $500 which is a 26 I/O box (3 banks of ADAT I/O plus SPDIF I/O) and has 2 banks of MIDI I/O - but you'd need your own ADAT AD/DA's. As bear mentioned above - you can start off with cheaper Behringer ADA8000's for like $200/ea (8 Mic Ins, 8 Line Outs) and hang onto your ADI2 as a better interface for your DVC until you get better converters (the ADA8000's might work fine for you - likely as good as the 2480's preamps and AD/DA's).

A Multiface with a single ADA8000 would also be a nice option for around $700 for both units (16 I/O's plus a SPDIF I/O and an analog Headphone Output). You'd have 8 Mic inputs from the ADA8000 and 8 Line inputs on the Multiface - plus your ADI-2's extra 2 I/O's. The Multiface only has a single MIDI I/O (but still 16 channels).

The cool thing about the PC DAW is as long as your MIDI keyboards are sync'd to the Audio, you can always keep "re-recording" the Analog Keyboards into the PC DAW. The PC DAW WON'T have the 24-track playback limitation the 2480 has now! I was initially thinking that you'd need 24 inputs, but 16 is probably plenty. Record your live audio tracks (upto 16 at once - upto as many total as you need 32, 64 - whatever). Then record your Keyboards' Audio (upto 16 channels at once - upto as many total tracks as you need). And then you can use your external effects if you want to for mixdown (upto 16 at once - upto as many as you need).

You can have every single sound on a separate track if needed. Then you can take that PC DAW project and mix it wherever you want to since all of the Keyboard's sounds will be recorded as Audio inside the project (you don't need to have the keyboards hooked up to mixdown).

You'll eventually want to get into using the PC's VSTi sound modules and internal MIDI Sequencing as that is a strong point for PC DAW's - you might still use your analog keyboards for certain sounds - but I'd bet you'll be doing most of your MIDI programming in the PC before you know it! \:D

#1006789 - 10/27/10 02:07 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: Randyman...]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

READY !@@ Finally ~! Any reason that a PCI version is better than a straight Firewire :: on the RME ?? Latency problems plague one more readily -- smoother interfacing with Reaper >

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/27/10 02:31 AM)

#1006795 - 10/27/10 02:42 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

Se my first 2 paragraphs above ;\)

Beyond that, PCI will generally have better latency (not much, but Firewire does add some latency of its own compared to a PCI bus). You probably wouldn't notice the latency difference to be honest.

Reaper won't care what interface you use - but your PC very well might. Again - Firewire can be finicky - but as long as you have a TI Firewire Chip in your PC, you have a pretty good chance of getting it to work. Once the PC is happy with the Firewire interface, Reaper will gladly use it w/o issues.

The resale value was my primary motivator (cheap = good!) - and I don't even think the RME Firewire devices were out when I snapped up my first used Multiface ;\) I've been 100% PCI since my PC DAW beginnings and I wouldn't change that for any reason - but that's me. Even today - my modern i7 PC DAW runs a RME PCI MADI card (bought used for a measely $500 - it still sells new for $1499!!!!!!!!!)

#1006799 - 10/27/10 03:07 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: Randyman...]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Thanks again RANDYMAN -- I have a old Dell Tower /XP -- has a a multitude of USB FIREWIRE --- so hopefully will work fine

Bare bones --except for Reaper

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/27/10 03:20 AM)

#1006800 - 10/27/10 03:16 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

"old Dell/XP" = probably a Pentium 4 or Pentium D. Not a good choice for your first PC DAW IMNSHO \:\(

I'd be looking at a Core-2-Duo MINIMUM (4 or 5 years old now) or better yet an i5 or i7 system. Starting off with a dinosaur will likely leave a bad taste in your mouth. Why drop all of this cash on your PC's I/O but then have a box that will heavily cripple your capabilities?

I might consider staying on the 2480 if that was my only PC option - but you CAN make a PC DAW out of it - just not a very powerful one by today's standards (and how reliable will it be considering its age?)...

For "Audio only" and some effects - it would probably work fine as long as the keyboards are handling all of the MIDI sound generation (you probably won't get many VSTi's running on that system w/o choking).

#1006802 - 10/27/10 03:37 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: Randyman...]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

AMD Athlon™ 64 processor 3700+
* 2.2 GHz
* 2000 MHz FSB
* 1 MB L2 cache
* 2 gb ram
C51G chipset

will be using the keyboards MIDI and audio --

the PC is stripped -- bare min WIN < nada software or internet

A new PC is only about $500, though >>

So use to the speed of the VS -- remember I still have a cassette in my car \:\)

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/27/10 04:30 AM)

#1006805 - 10/27/10 04:36 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

That chip was released in 2004 (over 6 years old now - or approx 4 iterations of Moore's Law!), and only supports SSE2 I believe Reaper et all would make more efficient use of SSE3 and SSE4 on newer CPU's.

It will likely run as a minimal PC DAW, but don't expect it to match a current PC (or even an aging Core-2-Duo). My entry into full-fledged PC DAW's was with a 3.2GHz Pentium-4 that I overclocked to 4GHz - and I quickly outgrew it's power limitations.

It's not so much the "speed" of doing things like burning CD's and backing up your data that will be affected (which the 2480 is a dog at) - but track count, the amount of VST Plug-In effects you can run at once (as in YOUR MIX), and low-latency capabilities will all be limited if you want to use CPU hungry effects in realtime w/o having to "print" the effects to free up CPU Power (that's part of the fun of a PC DAW - never having to "Bounce/Print" to free up effects - all effects can be "realtime" on a powerful PC DAW).

You can certainly pick up a newer PC for $500-$800 - but then you are practically doubling your initial soundcard budget. Maybe a used Q6600 Core-2-Quad box would be a more affordable option for $300 or so?

Tough call - but the 2480 will need to be replaced at some point (won't last forever)...

#1006809 - 10/27/10 05:05 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: Randyman...]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

My first PC was with 5 1/4 floppies > early 80's -- just not up on latest machines >> not sure what SSE2 represents ? I was hoping Reaper was not too taxing on the computer and pretty much only have one software up & running.....

#1006816 - 10/27/10 05:28 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

The application itself isn't what "taxes" the system - it is mainly the VST Plug-In Effects and VSTi Instruments that demand lots of CPU power (these 2 items are a primary reason to use a PC-DAW in the first place IMO).

If you simply want to record audio, add a little EQ, Compression, and effects (basically exactly what you do in the 2480 now) - you will likely be fine. If you want to run tons of CPU hungry VST Plug-ins that "model" tasty analog compressors and such (like running a bunch of 2480 VS8F3 UA Compressors at once), that PC won't get you very far (you'll be bouncing tracks to free up effects like you have to in the 2480 now).

SSE is an instruction set - the newer revisions are much more efficient "per clock cycle" - meaning one "Hz" (of the CPU's GHz) will get more work done with SSE4 than with SSE2. In layman's terms: SSE4 will allow you to run more crap in a PC DAW \:\)

It just depends on what your plans are with regard to mixing and your desired VST effects capabilities.

#1006818 - 10/27/10 05:50 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: Randyman...]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

I rarely used the cards in the VS -- I had external TC/ Lexi effects via the RBUS ... like the knobs and just a few presets > did not use the mouse much with the VS, either ....maybe too old school for this new technology \:\/ read that the Reaper Plugins were gentle on the system

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/27/10 05:56 AM)

#1006984 - 10/28/10 04:51 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Gee! Sorry I missed out on all the fun!

I'd just like to add a couple points from my perspective.

1- PCI (and PCIe) have been rock solid for me since getting into pc recording in 2001. The only "actual" Firewire experience I've had is with M-Audio FW410 (basically 4ch in/6ch out)... where the firewire drivers (the all-important factor for reliability) had a habit of dropping off the face of the earth until M-Audio released about three recent updates in the last year or so. The PC's (14 of them) have been pretty stable ever since.

I have not experienced how large live input counts run with Firewire interfaces, but everything I read about them leads me to believe that there can be problems that one does not usually experience with PCI/PCIe interfaces... an exception possibly being RME products, which appear to have good stability in almost every case, from PCI, to USB, to FW.... but, again, no personal hands-on experience with high input counts on FW and USB.

2- I still rely heavily on the original turnkey PC tower built for me in 2003.... PIV/2G/XPpro/1.5GB RAM... not overclocked. I've not used this machine for heavy input counts (nothing over 16 at once), but routinely playback/edit/mix track counts of 24-40 audio channels. This machine uses three Multiface PCI units for 24 analog inputs/outputs, 3 ADAT inputs/outputs and three pairs of spdif I/O.

I use three Presonus M80, 8-channel analog mic pres as a general rule (having re-purposed two of them from the remote rig after switching to the Digiface breakout boxes a few years back). I sometimes tap in a 2-channel Aphex 1100 tube mic pre. The 1680 goes through one of the Presonus M80's when I need it.

I also generally record at 44.1k/24 bit, which also helps keep the engine from panting with over exertion, but often have the need to edit/mix 96k/24 bit sessions of 20-32 channels, which the PIV begins to huff and puff over.

3- I also continue to exclusively use a remote rig (set up by the same tech friend) made only four months after the tower..... It's also a PIV/2.4G/XPpro/2GB RAM machine built into a lunchbox case. It's been a workhorse for me these past seven years... typically recording from 16-40 channels of audio at once through a pair of RME Digiface/PCI interfaces (three ADAT I/O on each unit, plus spdif) to get 48 channels of live audio at once.

The Digifaces are fed by a rack of Presonus Digimax 48k and 96k, 8-channel pres, plus one ADA 8000, mostly for routing the RME Digiface boxes to single output pairs for monitoring and live two-track feeds.

I mention these machines to illustrate the effectiveness and usefulness of even "antiquated" boxes like the 2G and 2.4G Intel PIV board/cpu. If I had the means, I'm sure I would not refuse to upgrade to more recent dual core systems, but these work great for me still.

Of course, if large amounts of RAM and other system resources are likely to be required for MIDI/VST/VSTi, etc. then I would really consider getting into a more up to date PC as Randyman suggests.

If audio channels is what is mainly required, then I personally don't see a reason to go crazy over whether or not you're using an older PC. The trick, I think, lies in how well the system is tuned and maintained, plus the amount and reliability of the RAM, a powerful enough power supply (400 watts or better, I'd say), how well the chosen video/graphics card plays with the audio system (very important!) and last but not least... how well the chosen audio interface and its associated driver files work with the PC.

It can take a bit of time to get everything humming at top speed, especially if it's pieced together from odds and ends, but it can certainly be done... just be prepared to use patience when/if things get rough while eeking it all out.

The software DAW has a lot less to do with the stability of the running system than some people think.... I think. Especially where Reaper comes into play. I' don't claim to know details at all, but it is my understanding that Reaper and SAWStudio (which I mainly use) have much in common in terms of how they work with the PC... and that being that they don't put as heavy a load on the system, themselves, as some other DAWs do. Please, don't take my word for it, or slam me for it if I'm wrong..... Just tell me where I'm wrong and I'll stand corrected. \:\)

#1006991 - 10/28/10 07:00 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: uptildawn]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

WOW thanks so much DT ~!! Great info

It can take a bit of time to get everything humming at top speed, especially if it's pieced together from odds and ends, but it can certainly be done... just be prepared to use patience when/if things get rough while eeking it all out

the part I don't look forward to -- sounds a little precarious to just jump ship ..... will find someone to "set" it all up and guaranteed to be runnin'

will never record 16 channels at time -- mainly two channels and the MIDI of the Kurzweil machines....

For live stuff we will use the VS with its multi channel ease

Sure our older PC will work .. Intel/XP is really solid and a affordable box these days

thanks again for all your research

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/28/10 07:06 AM)

#1007014 - 10/28/10 01:40 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Just a note to urge you to think about....

Whatever you think you'll need/want.... make sure to double that in actual purchase/modification.... more than double works even better.

I've seen the results of a "minimum requirements" purchase more than once.... It always ends up a headache as you chase your tail attempting to make up for the shortcomings of the system in places you didn't consider.

Even for two-channel expectations, you know you'll end up wishing you'd planned for more at some point. And with the jump to PC recording/editing/mixing, you're bound to find yourself wishing for more sooner rather than later as you get used to working in that environment.

Not suggesting that you shouldn't use an older pc....

Just don't do silly things, like say, "Oh, I only need 256MB of RAM to run this software daw, so there's no need to upgrade my RAM to the max. the system will be capable of using."

That kind of nonsense will leave you wishing you'd never switched to the pc..... It's not the pc's fault. \:\)

#1007062 - 10/28/10 05:01 PM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: uptildawn]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

I know XP has the 4 gig ram limitation --- so I always keep that max in all my machines. This particular machine has only Reaper installed and the minimum WIN components...the Kurzweils will run most the instrumentation ...

I think anything will be faster than the Roland VS

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (10/28/10 09:01 PM)

#1007271 - 10/29/10 02:37 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

No doubt...... even my poor little 900Meg Athlon..... well, maybe not when it had Windows ME on it. \:\)

#1007922 - 11/01/10 01:21 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: uptildawn]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Is the Tascam 1884 "talk" well with Reaper ?? At least I would have faders for post control ~!

#1007930 - 11/01/10 02:19 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: C Jo Go]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

As long as your PC is happy with it - Reaper will be happy with it. Getting the PC all happy is primary and can be finniky with Firewire...

Your RPC-1 or V-Fire (I forget which one you already have) will basically give you that same functionality with your 2480 - right? (granted, you'll have W7/Vista driver issues - but I think you are set on XP - correct?)

#1007933 - 11/01/10 02:32 AM Re: spdif to usb adapter [Re: Randyman...]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Hey RANDYMAN -- never did buy a interface for VS --- kept hearing of new-improved ones around the corner....

Think I may have to bypass the VS completely -- was hoping to use the 1884 to control with faders and I/O

Have been reading about finky problems with working in PC/MAC -- no wonder the VS was/is a great machine --- can't believe many out in the market > put up with this today == it's like you have to approach the computer~music world with a degree in Engineering Tech... or be younger than 50 \:D

Just want to play/record music

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (11/01/10 04:35 AM)

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849696 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.