Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1037351 - 04/08/11 03:25 AM The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

Last night, Todd Rundgren was an audience member on American Idol. Tonight, Iggy Pop was a performer. Huh?

I'm one of the few on THIS planet that "admit" to being an AI watcher but STILL, this shit is just bizarre!

Worse yet, if you DO watch, the girl that probably should have won the entire fuckin' thing, got voted off tonight.

Pia

#1037385 - 04/08/11 12:12 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Jammer]
Hong Kong Phooey Offline
As You Were
Planeteer

Loc: Virginia
I dunno Jammer.. If you asked me, the very strange thing is the incredible popularity of this third rate Karaoke contest..

I'm sure Ted Mack would be proud..

HKP

"Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that."

~Senator John McCain

#1037423 - 04/08/11 03:45 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Hong Kong Phooey]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

If it's good enough for Todd and Iggy, it's good enough for me.

If Pia is second rate. Second rate is good enough for me.

I used to LOVE the Ted Mack shows. Didn't everybody?

#1037426 - 04/08/11 04:13 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Jammer]
Vanillagrits Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Jammer
I used to LOVE the Ted Mack shows. Didn't everybody?

Hell yes, they were sponsored by Geritol.

#1037432 - 04/08/11 04:27 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Vanillagrits]
Ken Sheehan Offline
Planeteer

Loc: New York
Note to self:

Dig out the accordion and cut a version of "Lady of Spain"

#1037433 - 04/08/11 04:27 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Vanillagrits]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

#1037435 - 04/08/11 04:29 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Vanillagrits]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
Jammer, remember, this isn't a talent contest, it's a television show about finding an idol-like figure with voting based on popularity.

I have to keep telling my daughter and her mom but they never seems to listen.

Besides, exactly how do you measure talent?
Also, when was the last time the most *talented* at anything music/art were the most popular?

Repeat after me:
It's just a reality television show.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1037449 - 04/08/11 05:23 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: MadGuitrst]
Xenophile Online   content
Planeteer

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: MadGuitrst
it's a television show about finding an idol-like figure with voting based on popularity.
That's what bugs me about it. And it still strikes me as a karaoke contest, but I'd say it's a first-rate karaoke contest. The producers coaching these singers are no amateurs. These singers are pretty damned good. But still... when I hear them hold a note just a little off-pitch I start to squirm and that big red "AMATEUR" stamp appears across their face in my mind.

I used to love Ted Mack's Amateur Hour, too ("Do you have iron-poor blood?"). And the Gong Show!

#1037458 - 04/08/11 05:35 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Xenophile]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Pensacola, FL
 Quote:
Besides, exactly how do you measure talent?

That’s easy…big breasteses! \:D

#1037460 - 04/08/11 05:36 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Xenophile]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

Xeno,
Gong show was freakin' hysterical!

Mad,
Please repeat the following sentence one hundred times:

Jammer as well as billions of other folks, are fully aware of exactly what American Idol is all about and they really enjoy it for what it is and I should take my condesending "tude" and go fuck myself.

Jammer as well as billions of other folks, are fully aware of exactly what American Idol is all about and they really enjoy it for what it is and I should take my condesending "tude" and go fuck myself.

Etc, etc, etc.

Said with only love in my heart as if I was joking around with my brother. Brutha Mad!

#1037461 - 04/08/11 05:37 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Jammer]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

Chris,
EXACTLY!!!! \:p

#1037462 - 04/08/11 05:38 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Memphis Monroe]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Walmartville
Like I often say, our generation learned about music watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, or on the Smothers Brothers, or Kirshner, or Midnight Special.

This generation learns about it on American Idol, Glee, and Dancing With The Stars.

This is why our current culture is a shithole. heh

#1037466 - 04/08/11 05:46 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: AL]
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Al
Like I often say, our generation learned about music watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, or on the Smothers Brothers...
Oooh! Oooh!

#1037485 - 04/08/11 07:14 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: AL]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Al
Like I often say, our generation learned about music watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, or on the Smothers Brothers, or Kirshner, or Midnight Special.

This generation learns about it on American Idol, Glee, and Dancing With The Stars.

This is why our current culture is a shithole. heh

I hadn't really thought about that. It would be very sad if your only exposure to music were Idol and Glee but having already had an extremely thorough exposure to real music, I still enjoy those shows.

As far as DWTS I've only ever watched about three quarters of one show and that was just because I heard Pamela Anderson was one of the contestants. Can't STAND that show. Big SYTYCD fan though.

#1037491 - 04/08/11 07:29 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Jammer]
kendall Offline
Planeteer

Loc: amsterdam, netherlands
Xeno,

I was on the Gong Show... Ya, and what a hollywood whorehouse it is. Took some weeks of trials and judgements but we got to the finals, live national TV.
Anywho, I played the Jew's Harp and just when it was getting good, Mieke came rushing on-stage and opened up a sign written in big letters,
"KING of the JEWS ...Harp.
They pulled us immediately off stage with some anger and out the back door we were sent.

#1037492 - 04/08/11 07:38 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: kendall]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

Oops! Sorry 'bout your personal experience there Kendall.
#1037497 - 04/08/11 07:49 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: kendall]
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: kendall
Xeno,

I was on the Gong Show... Ya, and what a hollywood whorehouse it is. Took some weeks of trials and judgements but we got to the finals, live national TV.
Anywho, I played the Jew's Harp and just when it was getting good, Mieke came rushing on-stage and opened up a sign written in big letters,
They pulled us immediately off stage with some anger and out the back door we were sent.
Now that's interesting! I didn't think they ever did live broadcasts of that show. My sister and ex-brother-in-law used to work for Chuck Barris as writers/performers on that show, as well as the Dating Game and Newlywed Game. They liked to push the envelope, but I'm not surprised that the King of the Jews Harp bit was thought to be a little too controversial. I'm guessing that Mieke was a member of your group? I'll have to ask my sister if she remembers the event. She was working on the Dating Game when the serial killer was one of the winning bachelors... but she doesn't remember him.

Edited by Xenophile (04/08/11 08:00 PM)

#1037499 - 04/08/11 07:58 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Jammer]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun

Sorry Jammer, I tired out after the fourth. But hey, at least I tried!

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1037510 - 04/08/11 08:41 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: MadGuitrst]
ickalien Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Denver
A very good friend of mine adutioned for the Ted Mack show and came in second. He played the accordian then and had trophies and medals and ribbon's out the kazoo. He was beaten by a piano playing chicken.

#1037511 - 04/08/11 08:48 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: kendall]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Walmartville
 Originally Posted By: kendall
Xeno,

Did you get to meet Gene Gene the Dancing Machine or the Unknown Comic ?

#1037512 - 04/08/11 08:50 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: ickalien]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

Mad,
Thanks brother. At least you took a shot at it.

#1037513 - 04/08/11 08:59 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Jammer]
bluenote Offline
Planeteer

Seriously...these guys are old, tired, and ancient in their contribution...if iggy had one?

#1037514 - 04/08/11 09:03 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: ickalien]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: ickalien
had trophies and medals and ribbon's out the kazoo.

Huh? I thought you said he played the accordian?

#1037517 - 04/08/11 09:17 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: bluenote]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: bluenote

Seriously...these guys are old, tired, and ancient in their contribution...if iggy had one?

Ah, a bit of an agist eh? Please see appropriate chanting excercise and see if you can do even better than Mad.

#1037520 - 04/08/11 09:36 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Jammer]
Dave Morris Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 75
Planeteer

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario
Last night, Todd Rundgren was an audience member on American Idol. Tonight, Iggy Pop was a performer. Huh?

I'm one of the few on THIS planet that "admit" to being an AI watcher but STILL, this shit is just bizarre!

Worse yet, if you DO watch, the girl that probably should have won the entire fuckin' thing, got voted off tonight.

Pia

Any show where this girl gets voted off is absurd.
This girl is/was the ONLY one with vocal talent on the entire show. Previous years of AI have had some good talent, but this crop is third rate - other than Pia

#1037522 - 04/08/11 09:42 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Dave Morris]
Brian Glock Offline
Planeteer / Artist # 451
Planeteer

Loc: Baltimore
Iggy on Idol, now I think I have almost seen everyhting :). It was a "what the hell is this " kind of thing

The show is fun entertainment. There is a lot of talnet on there and one of the best got voted off last night. Not sure whe would have won it but I had her in the top three or four. I thnk Pia will have a future even without Idol. Casey and James will go pretty far, other than that ?

#1037530 - 04/08/11 10:39 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Brian Glock]
Tao Jones Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CA
I have no problem with the premise of the show or whatever, it's just that anytime I've seen part of it, it was just so boring.

Wait, I take that back. I have seen some of the fist rounds where they have the people that are real bad singing, and that's not actually boring, but it is kind of painfully embarassing.

I always thought it would be a better show if they had people doing originals.

#1037533 - 04/08/11 11:13 PM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: Tao Jones]
virtualan Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sauchie, Scotland, UK
 Originally Posted By: Tao Jones
....I always thought it would be a better show if they had people doing originals.

Agreed!

My Website : My YouTube Channel : Facebook : SoundCloud

#1037548 - 04/09/11 12:01 AM Re: The Music World is Becoming a Very Strange Place [Re: virtualan]
virtualan Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sauchie, Scotland, UK

Remember the original music?

My Website : My YouTube Channel : Facebook : SoundCloud

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849692 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.036 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.