Page 3 of 12 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1025020 - 01/26/11 03:01 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: gabeNC]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
It could be the Linux partition crapped on the SD card... In my searches earlier today, I found some comments about a Mac operating system doing a similar job on a VS SD card because the mac wants to drop some of its own files on the card when accessed there.

Maybe try only letting Windows see the SD card and see how that goes... after re-initializing the SD card in the VS and dropping another song file onto the drive of course. \:\)

________

By the way, one last update tonight and then I wait until I figure out the next move before posting any more updates...

I recorded slightly more than one minute of 16 tracks to the class 10 SD card today. I've already mentioned the sluggish time display (I haven't monitored audio yet to see if it actually hesitates) and the weirdness with the "ignored" tracks in VSWE.

Well, this one took quite a while longer, but after two attempts (one of 30 minutes, the other over an hour) at letting the song file play in the VS and then opening the session in VSWE on the PC, I finally was able to see and recover all sixteen tracks!

It's not like I can recover part of them at each go-round... although maybe I could recover at least the first ones it allows me to see in the matrix... The remaining tracks either show up or they don't. I can only recover them when they show up.

Wish somebody (like Bear maybe) could shed some light on this quirkiness.... I have no clue really, except that I'm pretty sure the problem is with the VS, not with VSWE.

#1026350 - 02/01/11 11:17 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I've got just a few new additions to add to my testing of the SD card in the 1680.

Tried a Transcend Class 6, 4GB SDHC card for a while today. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS4GSDHC6E/dp/B001ECRZJM

For some reason, it seems zippier than any of the PNY disks I've tried, including the 8GB, Class 10.

The Transcend recorded perfectly in all of these short tests:
1- 8-ch record at 44.1k/MTP mode (24bit), 8-ch record at 48k/MTP, 8-ch record at 44.1k/MT2 (16 bit)... all between 30 and 60 seconds long.

2- Adding 8 more record channels while playing back the first 8 actually worked fine and did not reveal any problems with audible playback through phones as I was concerned about before.

3- Although, adding as few as or more than 3 channels of new recording caused the time display to begin hesitating (my original alarm/concern). It did not show as a problem during audio playback.

4- Recording at 48k caused the time display to hesitate sooner than in 44.1k. The recording mode choice of MTP, or MT2 seemed to have no ill affect at all on the time disply hesitation or audio playback.

5- I'm still not sure how long it takes for the 1680 to actually write all the data from a recording onto the SD disk, but I can say that it had not completely written all the data for one of two song files by the time I transfered it to VSWE on the PC some 15 minutes later. At least the 1680 has no problems playing back the song file directly after recording while it remains on the VS.

6- I'm still inclined to look more seriously at a CF card alternative rather than trusting the SD card. I think it's a bit too slow for what the 1680 needs.

7- If I can figure out a reasonable way to adapt/convert the SD card for use on the external SCSI bus, I'd very much like to find out if I can "copy" song files to the SD card any easier than I can write recordings to it as an IDE solution. Being able to use the SD card on the SCSI bus would mean that I can store the entire song file structure on a PC and open the song in Reaper if I chose.

8- I like the "simplicity" of installing the SD card adapter directly to the pin connector of the IDE caddy. It makes it very simple to plug in the card via the front drive bay and quite easy enough to remove the caddy and then the card to put in a USB card reader.

9- So far, any hope of using the external scsi port in an "easy" solution is going nowhere fast. It seems to be too complicated, requiring multiple adapters and probably a scsi drive case...
If anybody has a quick and easy solution to this part, please post it here! I'm almost out of ideas. \:\(

Edited by uptildawn (02/01/11 11:20 PM)

#1026353 - 02/01/11 11:30 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

One more tidbit...
I just decided to see what more it might take to recover the final two 30-second tracks from the one incomplete song file I just reported on.

I simply reinstalled the SD card into the VS, powered up, went to that song file, let it load and then powered back down.

Put the SD card back in the USB reader on the PC and VSWE showed all 10 tracks this time (instead of just the first eight).

Still unclear as to why this happens or how to make the outcome more predictable. Kind of a pain to have to wait, or move the card back and forth like this.

#1026716 - 02/04/11 12:31 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
gabeNC Offline
Space Cadet

I ran into the sluggish display issue last night too. I'm using a PNY 4GB SD card, bouncing 6 tracks to a stereo pair on 7/8. The song was over 4 minutes. After bouncing I played it back and could hear no problems with the mix (edit...err I mean the bounce, there are MANY problems with the mix hahaha).

I'm also curious about using a CF card instead of SD. Also wonder about this $10 adapter, that could be part of it.

#1027294 - 02/08/11 05:58 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: gabeNC]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Wow! I'm pretty excited about the latest development!

I'm pretty tired tonight, so I'll post more details tomorrow...

Basically, I got a SD/SDHC to CF card adapter and a CF to IDE adapter, hooked it up to the internal IDE connector on a IDE to SCSI hard drive case and hooked the whole little mess up to the SCSI port on the 1680.

It works exactly as Bear assumed it would work, based on his own test some time ago using an internal SCSI connector he noticed on the 1680 motherboard.

I can now safely make song copy playables from the internal 1680 IDE drive to the external SCSI SDHC card and easily move them to any PC's USB port using a simple SD to USB adapter (looks like a thumb drive with a card slot on the side). Then, using VSWE, I can convert the song takes to .wav files (with no mishaps now), or I can even open the songs in Reaper without converting tracks... Actually, that's one of the tests I need to confirm in the morning.

There's more too.... and I'm pretty excited about the implications, even if it isn't as great as .wav import/export...
I'll fill in the blanks later... gotta zone out for a while.

#1027338 - 02/08/11 06:49 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: cortson]
tfpowell Offline
Space Cadet

I am having the same NoDrv issue. I have tried many different combinations with no success so far. I connected the IDE/SD converter with and without the 44-pin ribbon, upside down and right side up, and with two different small capacity SD cards (not Sandisk). I would love to know exactly what you did to orient your cable correctly to overcome the NoDrv error. (The VS 880 does boot up with the internal IDE drive.) Thanks.
#1027341 - 02/08/11 07:07 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: tfpowell]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: tfpowell
I am having the same NoDrv issue. I have tried many different combinations with no success so far. I connected the IDE/SD converter with and without the 44-pin ribbon, upside down and right side up, and with two different small capacity SD cards (not Sandisk). I would love to know exactly what you did to orient your cable correctly to overcome the NoDrv error. (The VS 880 does boot up with the internal IDE drive.) Thanks.

I recall reading about that way back in this thread, but can't remember who, or how they solved it..... could've used a reference to the post...

I'm not the original poster of that problem, but I did run into a short bout with it myself.

In my case, everything looked normal and set up properly, even checking all connections three or four times, eve turning the SD card upside down.... turns out in my case I wasn't pushing it in all the way. Seems there's a couple places where it feels like it's in all the way and I was just missing it... not going far enough.... trying to be too careful maybe.

You might check that out.

Otherwise, I haven't had any issues with the no drive error since then.

Hope that helps a bit.

#1027342 - 02/08/11 07:34 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Upper Midwestern US
 Originally Posted By: uptildawn

I recall reading about that way back in this thread, but can't remember who, or how they solved it..... could've used a reference to the post...

I'm not the original poster of that problem, but I did run into a short bout with it myself.

In my case, everything looked normal and set up properly, even checking all connections three or four times, eve turning the SD card upside down.... turns out in my case I wasn't pushing it in all the way. Seems there's a couple places where it feels like it's in all the way and I was just missing it... not going far enough.... trying to be too careful maybe.

You might check that out.

Otherwise, I haven't had any issues with the no drive error since then.

Hope that helps a bit.

@ uptildawn : Here's the part of the thread you are refering to. It was from Cortson...

cortson

- 01/11/11 08:52 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great!

I tried hooking up the SD conversion using a PNY 4GB SDHC in my VS880EX. It did NOT recognize the drive. It also did not recognize a SanDisk 4GB. I'll see if I can find a Lexar. Never give up.

- 01/11/11 10:01 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great!

I went a got the Lexar 4GB and still "NoDrv".

- 01/11/11 10:22 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great!

Got the cable oriented right and........... Success!

@ tfpowell : I wonder if you might have ended up recieving a defective adapter? It's rare, but it does happen (usually to me, LOL).
Good luck, hope you can get it sorted.

#1027344 - 02/08/11 07:45 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Update:

Today, I've successfully converted one of the IDE/SCSI hard drive trays I had installed in a Roland CD Rack a while back (referenced in a thread HERE ) to contain the new CF to IDE adapter . This has now replaced the 20GB IDE drive I had initially installed. I simply mounted the adapter inside the tray that the drive would have mounted in and cut a slot in the front airflow slots for the card and eject button to protrude out the front of the unit. I can leave the tray locked in place and not have to remove it or disturb the cabling and connectors.

I had to add a short (6" or less works) IDE extension ribbon like THIS ONE , plus a SDHC/CF ADAPTER to complete the retro... Now I can easily use the SDHC cards I bought (hoping to use as an IDE replacement) as a proper means to make song copy playable backups that I can then move to the PC environment for editing in Reaper (still need to test) and converting tracks to .wav files in VSWE.

This is working quite well... better than I'd hoped almost.
One great "feature" of this mod is that I don't have to power down the 1680 to insert or remove the CF/SD card. This is because the 1680 (and others since, unlike the original 880) has a "Drive Select" function, which re-scans the SCSI bus for external devices while the 1680 is turned on. If a scsi device is turned off during the scan, nothing shows up to select. If the external device is turned on, then the 1680 re-scans the scsi bus, any active device is now registered to access.

The only caveat being that the active drive must not be the external device when it is turned on or off. In other words, the VS IDE drive must be the active drive whenever you want to turn the external device on or off.

I am able to make song copies from the IDE drive to the SD card fairly quickly. I've timed a couple different copies at around 1MB/sec. Copying either direction works fine as well.

I haven't tried recording to the drive, but that is not my primary goal for this drive anyway.... My guess is that it will be slower than when I tried the SD card as an IDE replacement... which I wasn't thrilled about.

There's more interesting news, but I'll save it until I can investigate its potential some more.... may or may not turn out to be useful.

I'm posting this in the 1680 forum as well in case someone is interested, but it sure hasn't been very active over there lately.

#1027352 - 02/08/11 08:52 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
tfpowell Offline
Space Cadet

Thank you Rick and Uptildawn for your ideas. I'll keep trying because I really like the idea of using the SD card in place of the hard drive. For what it's worth, I recently completed a recording project on a new Boss BR1600CD and it turned out fine. However the older projects I've done on the VS-880 were every bit as good, if not better. Call me crazy, but I do miss using that old machine. I'm looking forward to getting this worked out because after experiencing 2 hard drive crashes, this SD card solution is the only way I'll trust my VS-880 again. Thanks again for your responses.
#1027383 - 02/09/11 12:18 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: tfpowell]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

... For what it's worth, I recently completed a recording project on a new Boss BR1600CD and it turned out fine. However the older projects I've done on the VS-880 were every bit as good, if not better...

Could be that even though the Boss has better specs, in general, than the 880 that maybe the analog output section of the 880 has a better "sound".... Or, maybe because the 880 has multiple recording modes, who's compression schemes translate to "better" sounding results than the (apparently) one recording mode of the Boss...

The Boss appears to have an awful lot of nice features... never used one though.

By the way, in my opinion, it is unlikely that the 880 was the cause of your 2 previous hard drive crashes, so I see no reason to distrust it.... but, I would definitely keep a wary eye on the hard drive(s) you choose to use in it.

Edited by uptildawn (02/09/11 12:20 AM)

#1027435 - 02/09/11 09:50 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

....By the way, in my opinion, it is unlikely that the 880 was the cause of your 2 previous hard drive crashes, so I see no reason to distrust it.... but, I would definitely keep a wary eye on the hard drive(s) you choose to use in it.

That's a great point about the hard drives. I think the biggest downfall of the VS880 operating system is its inability to recognize anything larger that 4Gig's. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find these low-capacity drives. Trouble is that new ones are nearly impossible to find anymore. Used drives are...well, ...used. We have no way of knowing just how "used" (read abused?) a 'pre-owned' drive might be.

I have to agree that it is highly unlikely that the VS880 itself is the cause for drive failures. It is an unfortunate fact that all mechanical hard drives WILL fail eventually. And given the age of some of the low-capacity HD's out there, ...well, it is not hard to imagine that some might be on their last leg.

#1028287 - 02/16/11 02:18 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: gabeNC]
SteveDWalker Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Clearwater
Where did you leave off on this? Anyone having luck using SD on VS-2480?

Roland V-Studio 100, Sonar Platinum, VS-2480HD, M-Audio, Korg,Alesis, Audix, Shure, Mackie, JBL, EV, Taylor, Gibson, Ovation, Ephiphone, Ibanez, Fender, Sunn 2000S

#1028355 - 02/17/11 01:30 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: SteveDWalker]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I quit posting results to the 2480 forum because it didn't appear that the SD card as a replacement for the IDE drive was going to cut it, even on my 1680 it was too slow for my tastes... It works great as an external drive solution for copying song files though. I've already gone so far as to convert one of the IDE-to-scsi drive caddies I use with the CD-Rack, complete with a slot cut in the front to allow easy access to the SD card.

#1031028 - 03/07/11 04:55 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

-------UPDATE March 6, 2011-------

I know, it has been a while. Long work hours these days. \:\(

It appears that the speed of the SD cards makes a huge difference. Hmm, I always thought that solid-state devices (SD cards and the like) would be faster than electro-mechanical devices such as hard drives.

I recently ran into a speed issue when using a 1 gig class 2 SD card. The display read, "Hard Drive Too Slow" and the entire VS880 locked up tight ... hard crash.
I ended up losing an hour's worth of work to that one. Perhaps too many retakes? V-tracks? Not sure.
After a cold restart, I was able salvage the tracks that were on that card. I mixed them down to 2 tracks and sent them via analog to the computer as a stereo mix. Then, with a PNY 4Gig Class4 card installed to the VS880, I was able to re-import that stereo mix to a new song and add other tracks without issue.

Lesson learned here: Don't use anything less than a Class 4 SD card in the VS880 if you are going to use more than 4-6 tracks (including overdubs).

I have considered the possibility that the adapter itself might not be "up-to-speed". It was quite inexpensive after all. But at this time, it looks like it was simply an issue with the SD card itself, since the Class 4 card seems to be handling the task quite well.

I'll keep you guys updated if anything else develops.

#1031048 - 03/07/11 01:59 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

The card I experimented with in the 1680 is a Class 10 (20MB/s write speed, according to PNY). It wasn't fast enough (in my opinion) for two passes of 8 tracks and 16-track playback... although it didn't lock up.

#1031072 - 03/07/11 06:08 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

The card I experimented with in the 1680 is a Class 10 (20MB/s write speed, according to PNY). It wasn't fast enough (in my opinion) for two passes of 8 tracks and 16-track playback... although it didn't lock up.

That's interesting. With no moving parts, I have always thought that solid state storage would be faster. It's interesting that SD cards being used in HD 1080p cameras without issues. These cameras must be writing huge amounts of data? This leads me to question the speed of the actual adapter board itself. Being on the low end of the price spectrum, it could be possible that the "bottleneck" is actually the adapter and not the media.

Anyway, at least from my experience, this setup seems to work well in the VS880. However, given the speed problem I mentioned in my previous post, I would reccommend using a Class 4 or higher SD card. Also note that I have not really "pushed the limits" of my setup yet. So far, at least for my 4-7 track projects, it is working.
Looks like I should go in and do some more testing next weekend.

Thank you for all of the time you have put into this, and for the very informative posts you have shared here.
Cheers!

#1031177 - 03/08/11 02:53 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I also had been thinking about that adapter as a possible hangup.
I may try getting something else just to see if it helps.
Not sure at this point what to look for in the way of specs to judge the "quality" of one adapter from another. Any ideas would be welcome...

#1031598 - 03/10/11 11:11 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Picksalot Offline
Space Cadet

First off, this whole thread is a fascinating read, with great ideas and suggestions.
Thanks.

I've got a VS-890. The maximum partitions allowed on its HD is 10, each with a maximum size of 1GB. My computer is running Windows XP Pro. I'm assuming an SD card would be partitioned the same as an HD drive.

1. Is it reasonable to assume that replacing the HD with an SD card would also work on my VS-890?
The manual says "The VS-890 retains all the features of the Roland's VS-880EX ... with the disk recorder, digital mixer, and multi effects systematically and more organically integrated."

2. There have been some references to a limitation on how many partitions on a drive that a PC can "see."
If I used a 10GB SD card divided into 10 1GB partitions on my VS-890, should I be able to see and have access to all 10 partitions when I put it into a card reader on my PC?

#1031607 - 03/10/11 11:48 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Picksalot]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I won't say with certainty, but it's been my experience that the PC will only recognize four partitions. I've stuck to an SD card of 8GB for use with the 1680, which can accept partitions of up to 2GB in size.

#1033149 - 03/19/11 03:21 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

I also had been thinking about that adapter as a possible hangup.
I may try getting something else just to see if it helps.
Not sure at this point what to look for in the way of specs to judge the "quality" of one adapter from another. Any ideas would be welcome...

I just had a line of thought concerning the SD adapters we are using. On the drive home from work the other night, the word "Buffer" came to mind. The more I thought about it, the more sense it started making to me.
I wonder if these little adapters have any kind of read/write buffering built in. If not, this could possibly explain the lagging display issues that some are reporting. It could also explain the "bottleneck" some experience when a large amount of data needs to be transferred, as in 4-8 or more tracks. This could be especially noticable during overdubbing, when data needs to travel both ways.

I'll try to find out more about buffer size and type on these adapters this weekend. If I can find anything, I will post it here and see if anyone can cypher out what it all means.

#1033167 - 03/19/11 04:07 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

That would be great... maybe you can figure out the time lag I experience here while trying to type in replys. \:\) This last sentence didn't show up until about three seconds AFTER I finished typing it! What's up with that? It never used to do that and none of the other forums I visit exhibit this behavior.

Ever notice how long it takes for the VS to do a drive select scan with one of those CF to IDE adapters in the chain? I see a very long wait time when scanning the SCSI bus for the external unit I made up just tonight.

Edited by uptildawn (03/19/11 04:08 AM)

#1040180 - 04/24/11 02:21 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

For those watching this thread, I found this on another thread in this Forum and thought I'd go ahead and post a copy of it here as well.

This would be a much better design:

About the same price as I paid for mine here:
http://store.era-ele.com/secure-digital-card-sd-to-ata-25-ide-adapter-p-48.html

Not sure if there's any other difference that might make it NOT useable for this application. Maybe someone that knows could check this out and report?....

[/quote]

I think having the card slot in line like that would make it much easier to grasp the Card, as opposed to the design we currently have with the Card turned sidways.

My only real concern is the +5volt power connector at the bottom of the photo. Unfortunately, if this adapter needs to have power to that connector, then it won't work in the VS units. \:\(

Anyone have any ideas about this?

#1040203 - 04/24/11 04:13 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

That's what I was wondering as well, Rick.

#1040617 - 04/27/11 10:08 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

Here is a quick update....

I have learned from a fairly reliable source that SONY SD cards won't work for the VS880. They exhibit the same "Disc not present" issue as the SanDisk cards.

From my own experience, I can recommend PNY or Lexar SD Cards for use in the VS880. There are others that will work, but so far the best reliability has been with these two brands. One word of caution here. Do NOT use a card lower than a Class4. The unit will say "Drive too slow" and then it crashes, requiring a cold reboot...and subsequent loss of all unsaved data. Class 6-10 would be better, but at least for the 880, class 4 seems to get along pretty well.

To recap:
Recommended Cards are PNY and Lexar: 4Gig; Class4 or higher.
Not recommended: SanDisk and Sony. -The VS will not recognioze them.

That's all I have for now. Sorry, but due to long work hours and band practice schedules, I have been unable to do any testing on my own VS880 for a couple of months. I do make it a point to stop by the Forum at least 2-4 times a week though. \:\)

If any of you are doing any testing, I encourage you to feel free to post your results here.

Thanks again everyone VS-Planet Rocks!

#1040625 - 04/27/11 12:36 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I can add Transcend 4GB SDHC cards to the list of those which work well in the 880 and 1680.

#1040635 - 04/27/11 01:39 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
cyberish Offline
Space Cadet

hi

did anybody here sucessfully tried 16 Gb SD-cards on a VSR-880?
thx, raphael

#1040644 - 04/27/11 02:08 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: cyberish]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Loc: the Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: cyberish
hi

did anybody here sucessfully tried 16 Gb SD-cards on a VSR-880?
thx, raphael

Hi,

Good to see SD-stuff related to the VSR-880 ! Most likely the experiments valid for the non-R-models will be valid for the
VSR as well I guess, but nothing beats actual testing.

It's been a while I used the VSR-880, but would 16 GB make sense ? IIRC the partitions are 1GB max, and maximum ten of those,
so it maxes out at 10GB. So 6GB unused.
But indeed, it would give you 2GB more than using a 8GB card.

Bye

--------------------

#1040719 - 04/27/11 07:28 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Ptr]
cyberish Offline
Space Cadet

After some testing i got to following results:
On the first IDE-SD-adapter none of my SD-cards worked (Danelec 64MB, Ultra-X 128 MB, Memorex 1GB, Panasonic 16 GB etc.) As I bought four of those Chinese adapters on Ebay I thaught to test another one of the bunch (very same design) and the Memorex 1GB worked on my VSR880 (I did not test the others yet.) On the other adapter I could not initialize the SD-card...

I'll try to post here soon again.

Sandisk 1GB works here too (blue one) : probably it would be good to make a list of all working SD - cards with a photo to be sure about the model of the brand?!?

Edited by cyberish (04/27/11 07:42 PM)

#1040770 - 04/28/11 12:49 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: cyberish]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

There are a few lists already, but they're scattered amoung many threads.

#1046839 - 06/06/11 12:41 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
 Originally Posted By: Rickbell7
For those watching this thread, I found this on another thread in this Forum and thought I'd go ahead and post a copy of it here as well.

This would be a much better design:

About the same price as I paid for mine here:
http://store.era-ele.com/secure-digital-card-sd-to-ata-25-ide-adapter-p-48.html

Not sure if there's any other difference that might make it NOT useable for this application. Maybe someone that knows could check this out and report?....

I think having the card slot in line like that would make it much easier to grasp the Card, as opposed to the design we currently have with the Card turned sidways.

My only real concern is the +5volt power connector at the bottom of the photo. Unfortunately, if this adapter needs to have power to that connector, then it won't work in the VS units. \:\(

Anyone have any ideas about this?

What an adventure this is, and I'm excited by the idea of using solidstate memory.

I'm working to convert a VSR that I regularly haul around in a rack case, and being able to remove the media and go to a workstation is the ultimate.

I have success using the "sidewinder" adapter, but my intent is to have access to the card from the panel. There was an item like Rickbell7 has pictured on ebay, which I ordered, but the seller ended up sending a sidewinder instead. Actually, the item pictured in the ebay sale also showed a 44-pin receptacle on the board, which is what we need. Rick's picture shows the board to be screened for the 44-pin connector, so the 4-pin power plug would then be integrated. Ideally, one can add that connector and be in business.

I ordered one of the "end loaders" from era-elec, and hope to be able to report on it.

Meanwhile, I had hopes of using an Addonics ADIDESDB and have been wrestling with one to no avail. I either get the "no drv" response after a timeout or perpetual flickering of the midi/drive light when it scans the bus. This is a shame, because I think this is the nicest of the SD adapters, and fits the bay after milling a tiny bit off the edge of the board and trimming the bracket.

So far, all the adapters work just fine with an ide-to-usb adapter cable plugged into the computer.

BTW - I believe the blind connectors between the caddy and the recorder are the 52-pin mates of the Hirose FX2 family. If we can someday ring-out the correspondence between the FX2 and the 44-pin IDE connector, the shortage of HDP-88's might not be a factor anymore.

Thanks to all who have been blazing this trail!

#1046843 - 06/06/11 01:07 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I've been using a similar adapter in a CF form with good succes in an external enclosure. Combined with a cheap and easy to use SD to CF sleeve, works great.... This looks to be the same basic layout and Addonics makes one as well.

The thing I've decided I like about this adapter (or any CF adapter over an SD adapter) is that I can use either SD, or CF cards and not be restricted to only one type.

I am currently trying to figure out why some CF cards work and others don't, or not so well... I believe, there seems to be a problem with the speed rating, but I'm not sure. I thought getting a card such as a 266x would be good because the transfer rates are better than the class 10 SDHC card, but instead, a 200x card appears to be working better. Even that isn't perfect, with odd boot problems, and so I may try a 133x to see if my suspicions are correct.

I already am aware of the SanDisk problems and avoid buying them, but I could not get a 266x Patriot to work and the 200x disk with the irregular boot issue is a Lexar.

If anybody knows with any kind of certainty what causes one brand, type, size, speed, etc. card to work fine in the VS and others to not work, I'd sure like to hear from you!

Here's the CF adapter I bought for the external SCSI case, which I believe will also adapt to the IDE mod.

CF adapter

Edited by uptildawn (06/06/11 01:08 AM)

#1046846 - 06/06/11 01:33 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

That's a clever plan. And I like that adapter with the ejector.

I do have a CF adapter coming, too, that I spotted on "sale" (a Syba on amazon, I think). I was going to experiment with it but knowing you have good luck with the SD sleeve I may now have some deciding to do. So far I'd been focused on what seems to be the lower-cost SD media

#1046877 - 06/06/11 04:54 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

The lower cost SD media seems to be okay, too.... doesn't it?
I bought Transcend SDHC and PNY SDHC a while back and believe I noticed that the 1680's time display ran more smoothly with the Transcend, which was also cheaper than the PNY. I really wanted the PNY to work well..... because the Transcend looked silly with the bright coloring next to the PNY's dark shades.... \:\)

That ejector button is kinda flimsy on the CF adapter. I almost wish they hadn't bothered, because it just feels like it'll be one thing to break in the future. And it's difficult to get the right angle on with a strong finger to push when releasing the disk, as the button is very stiff. It's too close to the disk, also. I always feel like I'll whack a chunk of fingernail off sometime. It's okay overall though... I didn't really see anything better.

which Syba did you find? I was thinking about those as well.

#1046966 - 06/06/11 09:31 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Greetings! Good datapoints regarding the ejector.

This is the Syba I found on "sale". It's setup for a 40pin i/f but has provision for the 44. Another form that caught my eye.

The SD media I've been using is Kingston and some stray Polaroid's with no trouble, but testing has been sparse yet.

Looking forward to trying the CF route.

Funny/Ironic story: Last nite I got a note from Era-Elec saying the #10115 adapter (in the picture) was out of stock and asking if I would accept #10296, saying it was "same adapter". I looked and saw that #10296 was the sidewinder style. At least they wrote before shipping. I responded that the alternate was not acceptable and asked when they would ship #10115. Awaiting their reply and wondering just what it is, between those two adapters.

Page 3 of 12 <12345>Last »

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159740 Topics
1849556 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.