Page 4 of 12 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#1046995 - 06/07/11 01:15 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
 Originally Posted By: RocketRancher
BTW - I believe the blind connectors between the caddy and the recorder are the 52-pin mates of the Hirose FX2 family. If we can someday ring-out the correspondence between the FX2 and the 44-pin IDE connector, the shortage of HDP-88's might not be a factor anymore...

My ignorance is showing here, but what exactly are you talking about here? Would you mind explaining... I feel like I need to know.

#1046997 - 06/07/11 01:27 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Just wanted to mention the PC adapter I picked up last week, 'cause I really like it.

I've recently picked up three other types that work with the SD cards (as well as a ton of other types), but not the CF card that I hadn't considered using at the time, nor the "SmartMedia" card that I happen to have from my dad's old camera and was too stupid to think of when choosing an adapter in the first place. \:\)

This particular adapter not only works with SDHC, CF and SmartMedia, but is small, yet has a fair amount of weight and has an activity light on top. It could use some little felt pads on the bottom to keep it from falling off a table from the cable weight, but that's a very small detail and easily remedied. I'm also not crazy about the "special" mini-size usb cable because it's only one of two devices I own that use this cable, so it's not really "standard".

It's amazing just how many styles and prices of these things are floating around! I happened to really like this one as soon as I tried it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0UFN2

#1047187 - 06/08/11 03:45 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
 Originally Posted By: uptildawn
BTW - I believe the blind connectors between the caddy and the recorder are the 52-pin mates of the Hirose FX2 family. If we can someday ring-out the correspondence between the FX2 and the 44-pin IDE connector, the shortage of HDP-88's might not be a factor anymore...

My ignorance is showing here, but what exactly are you talking about here? Would you mind explaining... I feel like I need to know.

I was referring to the connector at the rear of the drive caddy. The little adapter card has a 44pin ide on one side and the FX2 on the other, which has a mate on the recorder chassis. I'm thinking it better to minimize the connections and envision a ribbon cable that goes directly from the flash adapter to the chassis. I s'pose better still would be a cable from the flash adapter directly to the 50pin receptacle on the main board. I dunno.

#1047209 - 06/08/11 01:24 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Oh, you're talking about the circuit card that the caddy plugs into! I was trying to figure out why the fx2 card would plug into the caddy connector... I haven't had the machine open in a long time. \:\)

I like your second option better... running a cable directly to the main board... to minimize any alterations required to the machine as a whole. You wouldn't have to mess with the fx2 connections at all then. The flash adapter must certainly be small enough to fit in the caddy space without the need to move the fixed connector with the fx2 tie-in.

I'm just using the caddy from the original 540MB drive that came with the 880... I don't really have much use for a 540 meg hard drive, so I figured it could be spared. \:\)

That way, I can simply remove the entire caddy when needed, even insert the old ide drive too if I want.

#1047345 - 06/09/11 06:34 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

That's the one.

I, too, want to preserve the caddy/drive option.

My plan is to rig the media adapter in a bracket that replaces the caddy, media accessible from the front, and use an extension cable from the adapter to the little interface board removed from the caddy. Mine is the plastic type and the little board slides out of the back of the caddy. The cable is long enough to dangle into the bay and then seat the connector with a pencil or such. The media adapter then slides into the bay. I'm afraid of the now unsupported connector rattling loose in transport, though, and once I settle on the media adapter, will have to size the bracket to backup the little interface board with, probably, some foam.

The Addonics SD adapter (which works fine everywhere except in the recorder \:\( ) fits neatly into the space after some trimming, and the thumbscrews secure it in the bay (recall, this is a VSR). A thin panel with a slot replaces the original one that shows the channel edit map.

Over the last few days, I tried -again unsuccessfully- another SD adapter using a zif-to-44 pin coupler.

With renewed enthusiasm, I'm optimistic to replace the SD adapter idea with a CF solution.

#1047349 - 06/09/11 08:52 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Upper Midwestern US

I'm just using the caddy from the original 540MB drive that came with the 880... I don't really have much use for a 540 meg hard drive, so I figured it could be spared. \:\)

That way, I can simply remove the entire caddy when needed, even insert the old ide drive too if I want.

That's the way I did my adapter "mod" as well. Actually it isn't much of a modification. Basically, all I am using the caddy for is to keep the HDP-88 card in position. Since my VS880 is installed in a desk console, I run a ribbon cable out through the opening of the hard drive bay to the SD adapter. The adapter is relatively secure inside the console.

Since I didn't need to modify the caddy in any wat, it would be a simple matter if I were to take the VS880 out of the console for some "on-site" recording. Just connect the adapter card directly to the HDP-88 and reinstall like any hard drive. In fact, the option still exists for me to use any one of the hard drives I have around the house--should the desire(or need) arise.

I am intrigued by the possibility of running a cable directly from the connector on the system board inside the VS880 to the drive/adapter card. Very interesting idea. Fewer connection points = higher reliability. ...Well, at least in theory, LOL. \:\)

#1047367 - 06/09/11 12:53 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I see where you guys are going (have gone ) with this and it's an interesting idea to pursue.

I just decided that since the files written to the IDE buss aren't completely compatible with all the different transfer options at the PC side, that I might as well just use this SD/CF card as a "fixed" replacement for the IDE drive to reduce noise. I've already made a SCSI-based adapter for transfering files to the PC and it has the most flexibility of the two options in that respect.

On the IDE side, I took the ide drive out of the plastic caddy and then secured that little interface board at the back of the caddy, so that it won't slip out of its slots. The CF (and/or SD) adapter(s) that I bought, even with a card inserted, are so light weight that I just plug them into the caddy interface connector where the ide drive would have been.

Now without modifying anything at all inside the VS, I can plug or unplug the CF/SD card into the VS just like I would have with a hard drive. I have no fears whatsoever that anything would jostle loose in transport.... no more than I had fear of the IDE drive and caddy coming loose. I always give the caddy a little nudge to make sure it's not jiggled loose after a move anyway... even though it never needs it.

#1047525 - 06/10/11 07:31 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

...I just decided that since the files written to the IDE buss aren't completely compatible with all the different transfer options at the PC side, that I might as well just use this SD/CF card as a "fixed" replacement for the IDE drive to reduce noise.

...Now without modifying anything at all inside the VS, I can plug or unplug the CF/SD card into the VS just like I would have with a hard drive. I have no fears whatsoever that anything would jostle loose in transport.... no more than I had fear of the IDE drive and caddy coming loose. I always give the caddy a little nudge to make sure it's not jiggled loose after a move anyway... even though it never needs it.

I had much the same reason for going the SD card route. In addition to that, with the availability of small capacity hard drives becoming more sparse with each passing day, I saw this as a necessary move. Archiving SD cards is easy. You can fit a boat-ton of them just in the space that a single hard drive would take up. Of course the downside of their diminutive size is that it is MUCH easier to "misplace" them...Not that I've ever done that! LOL.

I do still have and intend to keep my small collection of hard drives for my 880. Just never know when I might want to go back and work on some older projects contained on them. I have never tried to transfer files between my VS880 and any of my PC's. At this time, I really don't see any need for that, at least for what I do anyway. The exception is when I do the final mixdown to stereo for MP3, etc.

BTW, I am fortunate with the caddy in my VS880 because one of the little "ears" for the retaining screws is still intact and holds it in place. (You can see it in the video.) Still doesn't hurt to go in there and check the connections once in a while.

#1047551 - 06/10/11 02:59 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Rickbell7

I do still have and intend to keep my small collection of hard drives for my 880. Just never know when I might want to go back and work on some older projects contained on them. I have never tried to transfer files between my VS880 and any of my PC's. At this time, I really don't see any need for that, at least for what I do anyway. The exception is when I do the final mixdown to stereo for MP3, etc.

BTW, I am fortunate with the caddy in my VS880 because one of the little "ears" for the retaining screws is still intact and holds it in place. (You can see it in the video.) Still doesn't hurt to go in there and check the connections once in a while.

+1 on keeping the old hard drives and the dimminishing supply.
I'm all about keeping old Song files. I don't even like to optimize a song if it means losing potentially usefull bits of performances.

But, I'm not too comfortable with storing my only copy of older projects on those drives though... Even having a second copy on cd-r isn't all that comforting, knowing from personal experience how often the cd-r backup can fail to be recognized on re-load.

Besides transfering VS tracks to a desktop for working in a software daw and using it for things like final mixdowns and creating mp3's, I'm now using the PC to create my VS backup stash.

I have VirDis, which is custom-made for something like backup creation, but even without it, making copies of VS songs via cd-r backups and/or the external SD/CF card is invaluable. In my experience, I trust the PC computer, hardware and software peripherals far more than I do the VS for long-term and repeated access to backup files (not that the VS isn't rock-solid in every other way than archiving). A giant PLUS is the sheer number of alternative methods one can use to get to the same end need with a PC. With the VS alone, there's little hope of recovering old Song files if something goes belly-up with the backup medium.

As for the retaining screws... I'm one of those people that always ends up with "extra" screws after dismantling and repairing something. The caddy fits so nice and snug when it's inserted in its cubby hole that I stopped using the two retaining screws ages ago. Like I said before, if I should be toting the thing around, I always give a little nudge to make sure the caddy is in place before powering up just to feel safe about it. Maybe I'm lucky and my VS has a tight fit.

I've got a big three-day festival coming up shortly.... You can bet I'll be securing and double-checking each and every screw and connector on the PC, preamps, racks, you-name-it... no matter how confident I feel about it! \:\)

I don't wanna crash and burn!

Edited by uptildawn (06/10/11 03:01 PM)

#1047628 - 06/11/11 12:04 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
cortson Offline
Space Cadet

I have 3 VS-880s that I have converted to SD cards, for sale. They also have their hard drives. 1 has an original Roland case and both the case and unit are like new. The other 2 have hard suit cases with more than adequate padding. 1 is the V-expanded model. I have not taken these out in the field and they work great. I have updated to a firewire mixer and Mac system. If interested, email me for more details at mike@mikecortson.com

Edited by cortson (06/11/11 12:07 AM)

#1047779 - 06/11/11 07:59 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
heyJim Offline
Space Cadet

Hey Rick glad to here you got the SD card to work I've been trying for weeks now to get my VS880 expanded 3.2ver to work. The first IDE cable was wired pin to pin and would not work even with the HD hook up. So I waited for the new cable which was called a true IDE cable and it worked for the HD but not the IDE adpater for Addonics . So I waited for another IDE adapter this one the SD card slides straight in opposite the 44pin plug but it also doesn't work . The SD card I'm using is a PNY optima 4 gig class 4 SDHC , what am I doing wrong help please Jim
#1047793 - 06/11/11 09:23 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: heyJim]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: heyJim
Hey Rick glad to here you got the SD card to work I've been trying for weeks now to get my VS880 expanded 3.2ver to work. The first IDE cable was wired pin to pin and would not work even with the HD hook up. So I waited for the new cable which was called a true IDE cable and it worked for the HD but not the IDE adpater for Addonics . So I waited for another IDE adapter this one the SD card slides straight in opposite the 44pin plug but it also doesn't work . The SD card I'm using is a PNY optima 4 gig class 4 SDHC , what am I doing wrong help please Jim

I don't know wnat is going wrong. You are using the exact same SD card as I am, so I doubt it is the card. Seems like I read something somewhere about someone else having problems with an Addonics adapter. Not sure what the issue was there though.

Couple of ideas I have:
-- Are you sure the adapter is plugged in properly?
(The reason I ask is that another person had problems getting his adapter to work. He discovered that he was plugging it into the ribbon cable upside-down.)
-- Have you tried connecting the adapter card directly to the HD adapter in the VS880?
I'd try those two ideas first. You might also try a different SD card. It is extremely rare, but it is possible that the card could be defective.

Hopefully you can get this sorted soon. Perhaps some other Planeteers might have some suggestions as well.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted.:)

#1047814 - 06/11/11 11:22 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
heyJim Offline
Space Cadet

I'll try another card , yes I did plug it in directly to the the HD and no luck . what about the firm 3.2 in the VS880
#1048349 - 06/15/11 07:32 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: heyJim]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

Hmmmm, Not sure what it could be now. I just checkedmy 880 and I have the same firmware; Ver 3.20A.
I'll have to see if I can find the link to the adapter I have. I'm sure they are still available for around 12-15 dollars on E-Bay. The one I have is a "sidewinder" type. (the card goes in from the side of the adapter)

Got it. This is the link to the adapter I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300531812037&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#1048362 - 06/15/11 01:31 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

That's the same one I have, Rick. It works for me in the 1680 as well.

HeyJim... in order to compare firmware versions, you'll need to check the complete number. It should read as X.XXX, not X.X.
The way to see this is to hold down the Status and CH Edit buttons for channel 1, while powering up the VS from a cold start (not standby). You will see a readout of the version number first, then the System type A or B (if it's version 3.205... there's no system type difference in earlier versions)

My own 880 reads version 3.205, System A ("A" being the version for CD backup, "B" for DAT backup).

I don't know that the version number will make a difference in regard to what IDE device the VS can recognize, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to see. It certainly wouldn't hurt to advance your OS to version 3.205 if yours is lower than that now at any rate, since that was the last real version update Roland offered for 880 users. Make sure you only use a version for the 880 and not an offshoot, like the 880ex, just in case there are differences in functionality.

By the way, I decided to only upgrade two of the VS units I was considering this mod for and ended up with an extra SD to IDE adapter card (the one like Rick linked to, with the side slot). If you should need it, I'll be glad to sell it to you at a slightly reduced cost than what I'm seeing on ebay right now, since I was planning on putting it up there soon anyway.

Let me know if you're interested. Otherwise, I'm sure the one Rick linked to should work okay, since we both have working adapters from the same seller ourselves.

#1048399 - 06/15/11 07:49 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

I am intrigued by the possibility of running a cable directly from the connector on the system board inside the VS880 to the drive/adapter card. Very interesting idea. Fewer connection points = higher reliability. ...Well, at least in theory, LOL. \:\)

The hook was set.

I rolled-up my sleeves the other nite, unracked the VSR* and took the top off, and sat everything IDE on the bench.

With the caddy mated to the interface, I am delighted to report that pins 1-44 of the 50-pin ribbon correspond to 1-44 at the drive connector of the caddy. This also means that pins 1-40 correspond to 1-40 of the 40-pin connectors found on the flash adapters.

There is a slight bump in the road with the DC power carried on pins/conductors 41-44, as Roland has 5v on 41-42, and DC return on 43, but (I'm going from memory here) my Syba adapter wants 5V on pin 1 of its 4-pin power connector and 2-3 are common/return (4 is n/c).

I think there are easy workarounds for the power situation, especially if it's true that the adapter's power connector is only for LED's (read that in another thread).

Either way, I plan to build a longer ribbon cable, with 50-pin connectors at the main board and drive interface, then continuing to reach the bay opening and splitting to a 40-pin connector and a 4-pin connector.

If my mockup serves me, there's enough space to slide the caddy into the bay, along the ribbon, with room for the terminations to dangle outside the caddy and close the cover - or - remove the caddy and replace with a flash adapter in a bracket, connected at the end of the ribbon.

There's that "theory" thing again, but perhaps closer to proof.

Another few days maybe.....

-----

* It's been a long time since I had a VS880, but I'm figuring that this will apply to both VS and VSR.

#1048462 - 06/16/11 07:19 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for all of your work. It is going to be interesting to see where this all leads. Could lead to more possibilities as far as a storage options for our VS units. \:\)

#1048626 - 06/16/11 11:42 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
heyJim Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks for the info I checked the vs880 and it is ver 3.205 system A . But I order the adaptor from Ricks link before I knew you had 1 availible, sorry , thanks again , I,ll try the new adaptor hope it works
#1048659 - 06/17/11 02:56 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: heyJim]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

No problem... it's the same seller, so should be okay.
Hope it works fine for you as well.

#1048696 - 06/17/11 03:22 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Glad to be able to contribute after having lurked for so long, looking for a "curve" to catch-up with.

This one's sure exciting, since I really like the machine and it's life and utility will be extended.

All the parts should be in-hand Monday. Drumrolls follow. ;\)

#1048735 - 06/17/11 08:24 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

Kudos!! Great to have you here. \:\)

Looking forward to reading some results in the next couple of weeks.

Big cheers!

#1049118 - 06/20/11 09:57 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
heyJim Offline
Space Cadet

Rich I got the adapter in today and it works great, I guess some adapater just do work. Thanks Still look for an adpater for easy mounting sometiming that I canmount to the front access panel
#1049129 - 06/20/11 10:55 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
heyJim Offline
Space Cadet

Got the right adapter and it works fine now I trying to convert the files for the PC . I have VS Wave Export but when I use it I cant see the files. Do I have to mixdown first or show I see the tracks Thanks for you help
#1049158 - 06/21/11 01:10 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
heyJim Offline
Space Cadet

I tried that adapter and it didn't work I also tried the an adapter that looked like the one in the previst post but the one adapter that did work was the one that Rick suggested
#1049354 - 06/22/11 05:34 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: heyJim]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Well, I think I have some news: Extending the cable works!

Still a bit rough, but I took a 4-drive scsi cable and cut it at the third connection, splitting the cable into 40/10 and then installing a 40-pin connector. I then split the 10 into 4/6 (the last six are unused and ultimately discarded) and terminated the 4 with an 8-pin connector.

That last part requires additional explanation, but is to adapt the power and ground to the CF adapter's power connection. Recall that the cable puts 5v, 5v, gnd, and n/c on those 4 conductors, but the adapter board expects 5v, gnd, gnd, and n/c (I think this is a throwback to a 3.5" floppy drive power connector, expecting 12v on that last pin). If the four were taken directly into a 4-position connector, the 5v supply would be shorted if mated to the board. By using a two row connector, and shifting the 4 conductor strip over one place (to start on position 2 instead of 1), 5v and gnd end up together on one row that mates with the board, and the other two are out of the way on the other row. This also provides better support for the cable, having all of it's width supported in the termination.

The original drive and caddy fit easily into the bay under the extended ribbon, and the connectors would stow well if I had a little more length (final version will). Function seems normal - played back existing content; changed partitions; recorded new content.

The caddy was removed and the CF adapter connected to the extended ribbon. (Syba SD-CF-IDE-A on a selfmade bracket)

And it all fits nicely into the bay. One thing I didn't consider was the height of the 40 pin connector, which just grazes the top of the opening, so I'll need to shave the spacers between the board and bracket. Another consideration would be the overall depth if the connector mated on-edge to the rear of the board.
All it needs now is a pretty coverplate.

I first tested the adapter with a sleeved SD card, and have since completed two full-capacity, 8-track passes on a pair of Kingston 1GB CF cards.

So far, So good.

In two days I'll give it a shakedown on stage, and I'll polish-up the cable fab for a final report after I do some catching-up on my other chores and "real" job.

Hopefully this all works with the VS as well as it seems to for the VSR.

Edited by RocketRancher (06/23/11 06:18 AM)
Edit Reason: r/r pictures with thumbnail links to higher res.

#1049384 - 06/22/11 03:13 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Can you please link to the CF card that you're using?

Your project is looking great!
Would you mind posting larger pics?

#1049411 - 06/22/11 06:35 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

Amazing work!

Looks like I might just have to try something like this. Since my band has reunited, the inevitible question about on-location recording has come about. It looks like I will either be pulling my VS880 out of the desk console (temporarily) or going ahead and picking up another one somewhere.
This project would solve some of the logistical issues I have regarding the "sidewinder" adapter I currently use.

Again, thank you for sharing all of this.

#1049417 - 06/22/11 06:50 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Can you please link to the CF card that you're using?

Your project is looking great!
Would you mind posting larger pics?

Thanks!

I picked up a pair of Kingston CF/1GB cards from ebay. The vendor's site reports that p/n as discontinued, but here's a link to the sale

Not being familiar with the forum rules for posting imagery, I downsampled to keep things small. I can post another set...Do you need higher resolution or larger dimension pix?

#1049421 - 06/22/11 07:03 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Amazing work!

Looks like I might just have to try something like this. Since my band has reunited, the inevitible question about on-location recording has come about. It looks like I will either be pulling my VS880 out of the desk console (temporarily) or going ahead and picking up another one somewhere.
This project would solve some of the logistical issues I have regarding the "sidewinder" adapter I currently use.

Again, thank you for sharing all of this.

Thank you, Rick!

Most glad I can offer something to this fine group, and maybe put the "removable" back in removable media. ;\)

I hope I didn't overlook something, but will be getting some time on this thing to ensure confidence.

#1049482 - 06/22/11 11:04 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Thanks!

I picked up a pair of Kingston CF/1GB cards from ebay. The vendor's site reports that p/n as discontinued, but here's a link to the sale

Not being familiar with the forum rules for posting imagery, I downsampled to keep things small. I can post another set...Do you need higher resolution or larger dimension pix?

Interesting.... I had happened to check out Kingston's website a while back while looking for specific info on the x-speed ratings. Their website talks about it, but doesn't give the rating for that "standard" card. In frustration, I wrote to them to ask how I was supposed to be able to figure it out without them posting it. I didn't get a very helpful reply, so I still am not sure. Does it say anywhere on the packaging or the card what the x-rating is? Or any reference to read/write speeds?

As for the images, either higher res., or larger size would result in larger size, I think. But, the pics appear to be in a pretty good res. right now, so larger would probably work great.
Not a ton larger, but just larger to be able to see more detail.
It's very interesting what you've done.

#1049516 - 06/23/11 04:22 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Interesting.... I had happened to check out Kingston's website a while back while looking for specific info on the x-speed ratings. Their website talks about it, but doesn't give the rating for that "standard" card. In frustration, I wrote to them to ask how I was supposed to be able to figure it out without them posting it. I didn't get a very helpful reply, so I still am not sure. Does it say anywhere on the packaging or the card what the x-rating is? Or any reference to read/write speeds?

As for the images, either higher res., or larger size would result in larger size, I think. But, the pics appear to be in a pretty good res. right now, so larger would probably work great.
Not a ton larger, but just larger to be able to see more detail.
It's very interesting what you've done.

There is "X01" on the card label, but I think it's a toss-up between it being a speed marking or part of the production numbering. When I opened the package and read a copyright date of 2003 on the liner, I figured they wouldn't be speedy and had a sinking feeling. But so far they haven't faulted except my deliberate abuse swapping between a Mac and pc, and deleting the invisibles to see if the drive is still recognized by the recorder. That has been working ok, too, although I have to remember that yanking media from the pc is not so forgiving of forgetting to "eject" than with the Mac. I don't have any utilities for handling RDAC data on the Mac, but I just know I'm going to stick one in there and want to know the consequences.

pics coming up in a little while.....

#1049525 - 06/23/11 06:27 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

pics coming up in a little while.....

I edited the earlier post to hold thumbnails that linked to pics of higher detail.

Click a thumbnail to get a better view.

#1049538 - 06/23/11 01:25 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Thumbnails not working here right now... and one of them appears to be missing as well.

#1049570 - 06/23/11 07:16 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Thumbnails not working here right now... and one of them appears to be missing as well.

Right now, and from a really zippy network, I see everything in its place, but there's some "waiting for..." to bring up the bigger picture.
Might be a bandwidth issue....getting what I paid for with "freeimagehosting". ;\)

#1049577 - 06/23/11 09:33 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

I checked the pix's out last night and it did take quite a while to load. At first I thought it was giving me an error message, then the picture started loading. Just gotta be patient. That site isn't overly fast. But it gets the job done at least.:)

BTW, Great pictures!

Page 4 of 12 « First<23456>Last »

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159824 Topics
1850322 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.038 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.