Page 5 of 12 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#1049579 - 06/23/11 09:40 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Now those are BIG pictures!!

Good detail... thanks!

Once I got an image to begin loading, the others happened much faster... but slow... I was probably too impatient the first time.

One thumbnail refuses to show itself here in this thread... it's a different one than before though... Hmmm.

I'm also getting very slow response time to what I type into the reply window again.... that weirdness had gone away for a while, but seems to be back once again. It's difficult to know what I'm typing when I can't see the words until five or six down the road. \:\(

#1049609 - 06/24/11 08:00 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
 Originally Posted By: uptildawn
Now those are BIG pictures!!

Good detail... thanks!

...I shoulda cleaned the smudges off the LCD. Darn.

In other news, the onstage test went just fine, recorder behaving well in its newfound solid-state.

Oddly, when I try to burn a backup CD of one of the sets/CF cards, it gets to 26% and posts a failure. I'm gonna have to ponder that.

Wave exports were nominal, though, and it all pulls into the software. This is mucho cool!

#1049830 - 06/25/11 06:45 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Not sure what to say about the backup cd, except that there can be many things at play. many of which nobody understands the reasons for. \:\(

Have you tried putting the ide drive back in and burning a cd-r backup using the same batch of cd's yet?

There's many things I might consider before dumping the blame on the CF card... although it may be contributing if the VS needs faster speed from the card than it can deliver.

#1049834 - 06/25/11 06:59 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Just wanted to update my testing of the CF card as IDE in the 1680.

Recording 8 tracks at once was smooth as with the ide drive. Ran a 18 minute test this morning with no issues and playback was fine.

I can record up to two more tracks while playing back the first set of 8 without any noticeable drag. At 11 tracks, I begin to notice the seconds display beginning to hesitate. At more than 11 tracks the seconds display starts and stops briefly every couple seconds, but there's not change in playback quality or record capability.

8 track playback, while recording 8 tracks causes the time display to become jerky, yet doesn't appear to disrupt the recording, or the playback afterwards.

No time to test editing yet.
I'll try that with a full 16 track load first to see what kind of reaction time I get when executing cuts/pastes, etc.

OOPS! I meant frames..... all references to seconds should read frames!

Edited by uptildawn (06/25/11 07:14 PM)

#1049859 - 06/25/11 09:00 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Another quick update...
Tried some copy/paste editing across 8 tracks at once, with multiple end-to-end copies. Extended the end of the song file to more than three times the original length and spanned all 16 tracks with the copies... some long, some short.

All went well, with no drive busy warnings, no long exec. delays... looks quite promising with this CF card:

Edited by uptildawn (06/25/11 09:03 PM)

#1049924 - 06/26/11 06:31 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Not sure what to say about the backup cd, except that there can be many things at play. many of which nobody understands the reasons for. \:\(

Have you tried putting the ide drive back in and burning a cd-r backup using the same batch of cd's yet?

Oops...I left out part of the story: I had two sets recorded, one just over an hour and one of about 40 min. Each on it's own CF card. The long set incurred the failure, but the other one burned fine.

I was expecting the backup for the long set to take more than one disc, but it never checked before it started writing. I don't frequently use backup mode and my primary reference is VS Recorder Power. There might be a wrinkle with backing=up the VSR, so I'll hit its book to ensure I'm doing the right stuff.

#1049940 - 06/26/11 10:31 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
LiquidShadow Offline
Space Cadet

Hi all. I just bought a VSR-880 on eBay as a backup for live recordings. I'm thinking about doing this mod but have a couple of questions about how partitions are handled.

According to the manual, the unit can only use 1GB (1 partition) at a time, so if I were to record a live event, 1GB is all I have to work with and the recorder won't automatically switch to the next partition if the 1GB is used up?

If I want to transfer the files from an SD card to my computer, I guess my computer will see all the partitions on the SD as a separate drive? (So I'll get multiple items under "Computer"?)

#1049954 - 06/26/11 02:14 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: LiquidShadow]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Well, I had a whole long explanation to Liquid's questions written out when the browser decided it wouldn't post to the Planet... plus the Planet response page is really, really slow in this thread.

Any way, short answer, Liquid, is:

1- The VSR will not automatically flow over to the other partition.
Consider creating a blank song file in the 1st partition that has all your routing set up for your recording, but don't record anything to it (or remove any test recording tracks from it and optimize the song). Then copy that blank song over to the remaining partitions using Song Copy Playable option found in the SONG menu. You'll need to switch from one partition to another manually during the performance, so hopefully you can plan for, or at least find some convenient spots during the performance to make the switch without losing important content.
ALWAYS plan on leaving some empty space on each partition and don't fill it to the brim! Even just a few MB is enough to keep from running into any gotchas... just in case, you know?

2- If only using VSWE and/or Reaper, then your computer will recognize all content on all partitions through those programs (I can't test Reaper on this PC to confirm it). Windows, itself will NOT report the partitions (or size too in some cases) correctly... simply reporting partition 0 (zero) only. Although some card readers that are designed to copy from card slot to card slot will show up as multiple drives in My computer... Don't confuse this with the VSR partitions.

#1049956 - 06/26/11 02:19 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: RocketRancher
Oops...I left out part of the story: I had two sets recorded, one just over an hour and one of about 40 min. Each on it's own CF card. The long set incurred the failure, but the other one burned fine.

I was expecting the backup for the long set to take more than one disc, but it never checked before it started writing. I don't frequently use backup mode and my primary reference is VS Recorder Power. There might be a wrinkle with backing=up the VSR, so I'll hit its book to ensure I'm doing the right stuff.

If I was you... I'd use Song Split to break up the long set into two parts (which you could later use Song Combine to stick back together if needed). This way, you'll completely avoid all the potential pitfalls of the multi-cd backup, which can be a painful ordeal. Try to keep each backup cd its own entity and you'll likely have more success.

If you don't know Song Split, let me know and I can write out a tutorial for you. It's not difficult, but works better if you test it out first to see how it handles splits.

#1049981 - 06/26/11 05:00 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
LiquidShadow Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks for the reply uptildawn.

That's pretty limiting if only 1GB can be utilized at any given time, but I guess for my purposes it ain't so bad. Since in VSR/MTP mode I can get 400 track minutes in 1GB, which is more than 3 hours if I'm just recording 2 tracks (stereo). Even if I do 8-track, which I NEVER do, I can still get 50 minutes out of 1GB.

#1049992 - 06/26/11 06:28 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: LiquidShadow]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Yup!
Use MTP mode (24 bit) at 44.1k and you'll be plenty happy with the results. I used to routinely record 8 tracks at once and had to switch partitions twice a night for one regular event... and that was with three VS machines (two 1680's and an 880 for twenty tracks)!

#1050022 - 06/26/11 08:47 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
heyJim Offline
Space Cadet

I final got my PC ( window Vista ) to work with VS wave export, when opening VS Wave Export I had to right click on exe file and select run as administrator then it would see all the files on my SD card. thanks again everyone for your help with my VS880
#1050037 - 06/26/11 11:21 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: heyJim]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Glad you got that one figured out!
Gotta love Vista and 7 for adding great, new, bogged down layers of security to protect us from ourselves. \:\)
(I know, I know, everybody's afraid of getting attacked from the outside.). I'll still stay with XP until I absolutely require the compatibility of new hardware.... which I don't have or need right now.

#1050863 - 07/01/11 12:33 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

If I was you... I'd use Song Split to break up the long set into two parts (which you could later use Song Combine to stick back together if needed). This way, you'll completely avoid all the potential pitfalls of the multi-cd backup, which can be a painful ordeal. Try to keep each backup cd its own entity and you'll likely have more success.

If you don't know Song Split, let me know and I can write out a tutorial for you. It's not difficult, but works better if you test it out first to see how it handles splits.

Thanks for that tip!

If the song is split, though, will the Reaper DLL touch it?

Also wondering if there is a standalone conversion app (or version of VSWE) that will recognize VSR mode, or is the Reaper DLL the only thing that does?

Otherwise I may be cozy just leaving it on the flash media, perhaps making a disc image of that for backup.

#1051091 - 07/02/11 04:34 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

If your only aim is to get the song onto the pc and convert to .wav files, or work on the song in reaper from the .dll import, why not just open the file from the CF card using an adapter to USB on the PC?

If you feel you need a cd-r backup that you can re-import to the VS at some later date, then I'd still suggest using song split to reduce the size of each portion of the song to something less than one full cd-r (less than 700MB per split) to avoid the pitfalls that can and sometimes do happen to multi-cd backups.

It was just a suggestion. \:\)

#1051603 - 07/06/11 02:24 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

If your only aim is to get the song onto the pc and convert to .wav files, or work on the song in reaper from the .dll import, why not just open the file from the CF card using an adapter to USB on the PC?

If you feel you need a cd-r backup that you can re-import to the VS at some later date, then I'd still suggest using song split to reduce the size of each portion of the song to something less than one full cd-r (less than 700MB per split) to avoid the pitfalls that can and sometimes do happen to multi-cd backups.

It was just a suggestion. \:\)

Thanks

Yes, backup is the main goal, and also to make a working file so I'm not touching the original media as much.

#1053949 - 07/19/11 03:40 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Loc: the Netherlands

Hello,

I haven't read through this complete thread again, but I have it printed and want to get this going for the VSR880.

Please allow me a small question in advance, is it indeed possible to read the CF-card simply in a card-reader & continue with the Reaper/dll-route ?

I did the Reaper-route in the past with a transfer to an external SCSI-drive and it worked fine.
But do I understand it correctly that the CF-card route now also makes it possible to skip the SCSI-transfer step ? Can a PC read the stuff that a VS-machine has written to the CF-card ?

That'd be mighty awesome ! No need for DIF-AT boxes etc anymore.

Again, apologies, haven't been through the whole thread, but there's some DIF-AT hardware popping up here - was wondering if I'd still have a need for it ;-)

Thanks!

Peter

--------------------

#1053954 - 07/19/11 04:21 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Ptr]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I don't have a clue about DIF-AT hardware, so can't even guess there for you.

The PC does NOT make use of the VS file format.... as has always been true.

Using the CF card to USB adapter at the PC side makes it an alternative to using a SCSI PCI card, or any other configuration one might have worked out that includes the SCSI-to-PC connection.

I have not tried loading a VS song directly into Reaper from a CF card, so I can't answer to that.

However, using the CF card allows me to extract .wav files using VSWE and thereby avoiding the extra step of writing CD-R back-ups of the VS songs. I can also copy the folders/files to a location on my PC hard drive..... even copy them back to the CF card and re-load into the VS, as long as they are unaltered by Windows.... which means that I can not remove old files and/or place new ones in a VS song folder and expect the VS to recognize them as legit VS songs.

There are variables that I don't have time to address and maybe someone else will chime in.

You'd do yourself a favor by reading up more on this subject before spending money and going down a blind alley.

I know you've been around here quite awhile, so please don't take my suggestions in the wrong way..... but expect that people here have offered this advice many times over. Do them right by reading your share of info and get acquainted with the subject a bit more.

Hope whatever you decide works out great for you. It's fantastic that we've been able to stretch the life of our VS' so much further thanks to some great work by bear, danielo and randygo.

#1054097 - 07/20/11 05:22 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
newanthro Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: new jersey
Has anyone ever tried something like this?

http://shop.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS4GSSD25-S

Was wondering if it works, I currently use the CF adapter.

Thanks

#1054102 - 07/20/11 09:12 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: newanthro]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

Loc: netherlands
Has anyone used the new software from the BOSS BR-900CD and BR-800. I assume these recorders use the same recordingformats (still). Does this converter software recognise the VSR mode files?

https://www.facebook.com/frans.vandenberge.1

#1054115 - 07/20/11 12:18 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: newanthro]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: newanthro
Has anyone ever tried something like this?

http://shop.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS4GSSD25-S

Was wondering if it works, I currently use the CF adapter.

Thanks

Interesting idea...

Not sure if I'm ready to spend $100 for 4GB to find out just now.

I'm curious as to whether or not it would work also.

It could have just been the brand I bought, who knows?!... the adapter I used with that particular card, or any combination of things I've not checked yet.....

but at this point, I'm concerned that the VS(1680 at least) seems to have issues of a random type with various drives..... some work great, others not at all. I am currently under the impression that CF cards with a rating HIGHER than 133x can be problematic.

My own tests (with just two CF cards) seemed to indicate that the higher the "X" rating, the more problematic. I was hoping the opposite would be true.

Of course, I can't say with any certainty until I try at least a few more combinations. But, it makes me hesitate a bit on this SSD drive you're looking at.

I'd love to hear from someone that's tried it as well!

Huh! Looking through the BR-900CD documentation, I ran across this CF guidlines pdf: http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/CF_Card_Guidelines.pdf

They indicate that (at least for this line of recorders) it is best to use CF cards with lower "X" ratings.... Maybe there's some validity to what I've suspected about the higher speed cards in my 1680 tests?

Edited by uptildawn (07/20/11 12:35 PM)

#1054121 - 07/20/11 12:41 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Frans
Has anyone used the new software from the BOSS BR-900CD and BR-800. I assume these recorders use the same recordingformats (still). Does this converter software recognise the VSR mode files?

Are you talking about this converter software that Boss released some years ago? http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=699&tab=downloads&skip=true

The documentation for this updated software is copyright 2007 and the software is 2005, so I'm not too sure about how "new" it is...... but it's a really interesting idea about whether or not it will recognize and convert other VS recorder files like your VSR.

It appears to be strictly limited to MT2, LIV and LIV2 modes, which means that most of us will want to focus on the MT2 mode, which is 16 bit/44.1k.

I might have to check into this for myself later tonight.
I've got a load of LIV mode scratch pad ideas on my 1680 hard drive. I'd love to be able to transfer them directly without re-recording into the PC.

#1054123 - 07/20/11 12:56 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Frans

Well, I couldn't wait until tonight.... had to check before work.

It would appear that this software only recognizes BR file format. It looks pretty nice though.

The MT2 mode isn't enough to fool it into thinking it's a BR song. Maybe I'll try it with a LIV song later on just for kicks and giggles.

#1054196 - 07/20/11 06:51 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

This software is 2011.... Maybe there is some way to fool it.

#1054260 - 07/20/11 10:45 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Which software is 2011, please?
Would you provide a link?

#1054304 - 07/21/11 06:56 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

http://www.rolandce.com/nl/nl/producten/recording/digital-recording/br-800/

https://customers.rolandce.com/media/software_updates/br_wcwin_v300.zip

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=718#

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=699

Edited by Frans (07/21/11 07:12 AM)

#1054321 - 07/21/11 12:44 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Yes, this is the same converter software I tested on some of my 1680 songs on a CF card.
I got the following error message:
"Not BR series memory card."

The Properties Date for this one you linked to br_wcwin_v300.zip
is 2010, but that is the newest of the ones I have tried. The next newest I've seen is the BR Wave Converter 2.0, which is 2005.

Maybe, as you say, there is a way to fool it....

Someone with more tricks up their sleeves than I have.....

#1054357 - 07/21/11 03:40 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

Right. Well, still have to fetch me the conversionkit. So I cannot test right now. The Reapermethod seems really cool.

I have similar software for my HD24 so that's cool too.

Thanks so much for showing that SD card conversion can be made to work. As soon as I can I'll complete the conversion too. Right now I am building a housing for an old D&R 700 wich was electronically checked but it came out of a radiostation where it was build into a desk. So it's frame was removed.

After I rebuild that module I will hook up both and see what happens.

#1054375 - 07/21/11 05:07 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
Marveen Offline
Space Cadet

(tried to move this post to a relevant part of discussion)

Edited by Marveen (07/22/11 10:06 AM)
Edit Reason: (tried to move this to relevant part of discussion)

#1054434 - 07/21/11 11:23 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Loc: the Netherlands
I don't have a clue about DIF-AT hardware, so can't even guess there for you.

The PC does NOT make use of the VS file format.... as has always been true.

Using the CF card to USB adapter at the PC side makes it an alternative to using a SCSI PCI card, or any other configuration one might have worked out that includes the SCSI-to-PC connection.

While I have the PCI/SCSI-stuff available, it's sure less convenient than simply putting a CF-card into an USB-adapter. I was initially wondering if the CF-card-method was just an alternative for just the internal harddrive (so that you still have to transfer to a SCSI-drive, disconnect that & connect to a PC & then proceed as before with the Reaper-route) - but based on your response I learn that the CF-card in fact does two things at once (#1. replacing the mechanical IDE-drive & #2. being a far easier method of transporting data to a PC than the SCSI-drive).

I have not tried loading a VS song directly into Reaper from a CF card, so I can't answer to that.

However, using the CF card allows me to extract .wav files using VSWE and thereby avoiding the extra step of writing CD-R back-ups of the VS songs.

OK, and here I can catch up again - the CF-card route does obviously _not_ also realize the third thing (#3. (NOT) enabling direct import of wav-data without anything additionally) but that
would have been too good to be true (and would actually have been pretty surprising & hard to understand if it'd had done that just like that ;-) )

So summarizing, I was wondering if the CF-card-method would also do #2. - and it does, I now understand, thanks! Which is pretty nice, making acquiring additional hardware (DIF-AT etc) unnecessary.

You'd do yourself a favor by reading up more on this subject before spending money and going down a blind alley.

I know you've been around here quite awhile, so please don't take my suggestions in the wrong way..... but expect that people here have offered this advice many times over. Do them right by reading your share of info and get acquainted with the subject a bit more.

You're fully right, just reading the stuff will give the answers - it's just that at the time of my previous message some 'hot' boxes popped up & I wasn't familiar enough (again) with all things Roland to have the clear picture whether these boxes would be of use to me. So I allowed myself a quick question, but your suggestions sure taken to heart, apologies for my unpatience in my previous post.

And as said, so these additional converter-boxes are actually not needed, I understand to conclude for now, based on your reply, thanks ! Besides, they'd throw me back at real-time transfers as well and that's no longer needed.

Hope whatever you decide works out great for you. It's fantastic that we've been able to stretch the life of our VS' so much further thanks to some great work by bear, danielo and randygo.

It sure is great! :-) There must be something about these machines that they're still being used.

Thanks & best regards!

--------------------

#1054483 - 07/22/11 10:03 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
Marveen Offline
Space Cadet

Hi all!

Recently bought this for just under £7:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SD-SDHC-MMC-2-...=item56415288a3

...and my VS880 (updated to version 3.205) has successfully formatted and recorded beautifully on every brand of card I've thrown at it up to the usable maximum of 4gb (not tried above this yet, but still experimenting). A SanDisk 4gb micro in adapter even worked!! Even a Tesco-branded 2gb!!!!

One other thing (apologies if this has been posted before) - you can make a raw image of your card/hard-drive using:

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm (this is free!) to backup all your recordings, and then you can load them back onto that same card/hard-drive (pretty sure it HAS to be the same, but still experimenting...) and into your VS880, and the fussy little sod won't suspect a thing!

Hope this is useful to someone Cheers all!

Edited by Marveen (07/22/11 11:12 PM)

#1054645 - 07/23/11 04:21 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Marveen]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Upper Midwestern US
@ Maeveen:
Very cool! I haven't been able to get a SanDisk SD card to work in my VS880. Just about everything else works though. Fortunately SanDisk cards work great in my video cameras. \:\)

I'd be quite interested to hear about the backup method you described. If you could somehow shadow your hard drive and then reload it to another medium, that would be great! I still have a lot of stuff on hard drives and would love to be able to easily transfer that stuff onto SD cards.

#1055033 - 07/24/11 11:43 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
Marveen Offline
Space Cadet

Hi Rick

Just successfully made a raw image of a Toshiba MK4309MAT 4.3GB hard-drive and loaded it onto a SanDisk 4GB SD (this is the micro card in adapter I mentioned earlier) and it worked perfectly!

Tried this a few times in Windows 7 with no success - but in XP, no probs at all!

Already this is great news for me; this particular hard-drive was causing the dreaded "DRIVE TOO SLOW" messages when I had gone some way into a new project, so I'm relieved to find I can carry on now with no such issues to worry about.

Cheers for now \:\)

Edited by Marveen (07/25/11 09:59 PM)

#1055560 - 07/27/11 07:23 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Marveen]
Rickbell7 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Upper Midwestern US
This is GREAT news indeed! My main system in the front room is Win7, BUT the one in the studio is Win XP.
I only encountered the "Drive Too Slow" message using a very old 256 meg SD card. I may have been asking a little too much of it, LOL. Had six tracks and a LOT of bad takes that I hadn't optimized out, so it was dealing with a lot of unnecessary data.

Yeah, that "Drive Too Slow" is a fatal error and totally locks my system right up. The only way back is a cold shut down and restart...and of course all the data that wasn't saved sails off to Byte-land, never to be heard from again.

I assure you that I will be looking into this program. Sounds extremely useful! I still can't believe that you are having success with a SanDisk card though. Maybe it has to do with the micro-adapter you are using. Whatever it is, good on you!
Thanks again for the tip on this software.
Cheers~!

#1063481 - 08/31/11 05:43 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Greetings!

After many happy hours of playing and working with the solidstate conversion, and having nothing bad happen, I think I am ready to stabilize the configuration and declare my rig "final".

I built another IDE ribbon cable, with better connector spacing.

The original drive and caddy slide right under the extended IDE cable and the connectors stow under the original cover plate.

The bay can be converted to/from CF in about a minute.

Along the way, I decided to try one of the adapters like Uptildawn's and think I'll keep it. It's a StarTech 35BAYCF2IDE and, from studying pictures, I'll claim it's the same as the Addonics device. A trip to the milling machine trimmed the board and bracket width down to the bosses - about 3-1/16" - in order to fit the bay, and 3/32" off the top edge of the front to fit the recess in the VSR.

I also added an activity LED to the board, since they provided the connection. The CF activity and the VSR's disc/midi indication are not the same, so I wanted to be able to see the former and sought a see-through material for the new cover plate. I didn't have anything on-hand and was too cheap to buy a sheet for a few square inches and then blundered into a clipboard at WalMart made of smoke-tinted plastic. A little more milling and a quick wet-sanding with 1200 rendered the new plate.

Here are pics of the configuration and a sketch of the final ribbon cable (Remember, there is special treatment for the 4-pin connector, mentioned in the earlier post).

I remain thankful to all who pioneered the conversion concept, and hope that this effort will be helpful to others and further the cause.

\:\)

The Ribbon cable, from the main board to the drive interface, and out into the bay.

Original cover plate over the drive bay

Original drive/caddy; CF adapter connections stowed.

CF adapter; trimmed to fit, LED added

CF adapter in place

New cover plate

Action!

Edited by RocketRancher (09/12/11 01:06 AM)
Edit Reason: corrected cable sketch

Page 5 of 12 « First<34567>Last »

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159740 Topics
1849552 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.025 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.