Page 6 of 12 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#1063589 - 08/31/11 03:02 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Well done!

The Startech board is identical to the ones I've used in two external boxes I've put together more recently. Although the ones I use have the posts for an led, I haven't had the motivation to drill a hole for a light and wire one up.

Are you sure that the VS' activity light does not display the same thing as the activity light you added on the CF board? It's always seemed to me that the VS light displays activity in the ide drive.

Nice job on the cover plate!

#1063762 - 09/01/11 03:02 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Thank you very muchly!

Yep. The disc/midi indicator on the VSR panel and the LED driven by the adapter are not always doing the same thing. I first noticed it when using the Syba adapter that came with LED's installed.

At startup, the adapter's LED flickers followed by the disc/midi indicator when << scanning drive >> is displayed, and then (speculating) when the IDE device is picked-up, they both flicker, although not always together. While recording, both seem to be in sync. In playback, the adapter's indicator is much more active than the VSR's by about 3:1

Drilling the hole was the hardest part ;\) ; I wire-wrapped to the LED and pins on the board, and tacked it all down with a few drops of hot glue.

#1063788 - 09/01/11 10:29 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: RocketRancher
...Drilling the hole was the hardest part ;\) ; I wire-wrapped to the LED and pins on the board, and tacked it all down with a few drops of hot glue.

Yeah...I saw that... clever with the wire wrap and hot glue. ;\)
I haven't used a glue gun since I was a kid. I don't suppose epoxy would be quite the same... even if it looks the same, eh... \:\)

#1064199 - 09/02/11 08:28 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: uptildawn

Yeah...I saw that... clever with the wire wrap and hot glue. ;\)
I haven't used a glue gun since I was a kid. I don't suppose epoxy would be quite the same... even if it looks the same, eh... \:\)

Epoxy'd be dandy, too. My luck: It'd flow-out and get something icky before it cured. Seems Loctite offered a product just for tacking wires. But wife's gluegun was just so convenient.

#1064272 - 09/03/11 03:06 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loctite's an idea... I've got some of that layin' around... if it hasn't dried up.

#1065045 - 09/06/11 05:03 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

but not the thread sealant, though. I'm thinking they called the product "tak pak", for fixing parts to boards before flowing the solder.
#1066215 - 09/10/11 03:55 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Loc: Riding Indiana Waves of Audio
First of all, cool job on putting it all back inside!

BTW - for me - I transfer way too often to even consider putting mine inside.
However, on a side note. As I mentioned earlier in this post - when I first strted using the sd card, my 880EX had a few times of being difficult to re-load the sc as a drive - it finally started accepting it almost every time I pulled it out / transfered to my pc / then re-plugged it back into the 880 with rarely having a problem.
Recently I had 4 or 5 different projects (songs) on it (one with several V tracks and an ungodly number of undo's / redos' and etc. - it finally froze up. I still had 220.003 time left on the 1000 mb partition. Anyway, I unplugged / transfered what I needed to PC / re-plugged to 880 and kept getting "No Drive" error screen for numerous tries...
Then I re-plugged the card back into pc / opened it with VSWE - AGAIN - and just selected a few tracks to "download" - without actually completing the task - I just "selected" them as though I was gong to download them.
Then plugged the card back into 880 and it recognized the drive on the second boot up. I deleated a couple of the un-necessary songs - and it's been working flawlessly for another 80 mb of recording / undo's / redo's/ and etc.
I guess there is a limit of used mb (even under the normal max for 1000 mb partition) that will allow the card to operate properly.
Just thought this might be some interseting info for the rest of you sd card users.

Edited by mrsinical (09/10/11 03:57 PM)

#1066524 - 09/12/11 01:17 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: mrsinical]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for the kind words and info on the ins and outs of the card.
So far, I've been free from trouble with CF cards as long as I do my transfers on a PC. But most of my time is spent in a Mac environment and if the OS mounts the card and puts its (invisible) desktop files on it, the VSR rejects it. I can often remove the invisibles successfully but, strangely, not consistently to the recorder's satisfaction.

BTW - I revised the ribbon cable sketch and edited the earlier post. It first appeared that there was a 44-position connector but it really has a 40, with the remaining 4 terminated at the very end. SorryBoutThat.

#1070537 - 09/30/11 09:45 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

Loc: netherlands
How do I make my own cable? Any online sources to teach me?

https://www.facebook.com/frans.vandenberge.1

#1075210 - 10/23/11 04:39 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Frans
How do I make my own cable? Any online sources to teach me?

Hi Frans

Try googling for things like "how to make ribbon cables", which should lead you to places that offer materials, illustrations, and even some YouTube clips. Look around ebay for cables and connectors, studying the pictures for detail on how they go together. I use a vise to close the connectors although smaller ones can be set with pliers. Vise gives better control and even pressure. The ribbon cuts easily with shears, heavy scissors, paper cutter, or razor knife against a straightedge.

Perhaps pick up an IDE or SCSI cable and disassemble/reassemble it to see how it works and how the contacts relate to the cable. Then get fresh components and reverse the process to build a new one. Don't be surprised if parts of the connectors break on disassembly, as they're just intended for a one-way trip.

#1076783 - 10/30/11 03:24 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: uptildawn
If your only aim is to get the song onto the pc and convert to .wav files, or work on the song in reaper from the .dll import, why not just open the file from the CF card using an adapter to USB on the PC?

If you feel you need a cd-r backup that you can re-import to the VS at some later date, then I'd still suggest using song split to reduce the size of each portion of the song to something less than one full cd-r (less than 700MB per split) to avoid the pitfalls that can and sometimes do happen to multi-cd backups.

It was just a suggestion. \:\)

Thanks

Yes, backup is the main goal, and also to make a working file so I'm not touching the original media as much.

I think I resolved my dilemma.

I used "Flash Memory Toolkit" to backup my CF cards, and then wrote those backups to DVD. So much easier than burning a backup from the recorder-attached CDR, and sure faster than 4x.

I can restore the backup to CF or SD which is then picked-up by the rdac:wav converter app. Unfortunately, the restored media is rejected by the recorder as unformatted, and it adds insult to injury by claiming "hardware error". Perhaps I'll try to figure that out someday (I thought it was making an image - maybe not?), but I think my purpose is suited by having the original data saved-off to other media so it can still be a starting point; converted and brought into a workstation. I really don't have any need to work in the recorder after the sessions are captured.

#1098479 - 01/20/12 10:18 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

Just ordered my cf card apdapter. Do I need to make new cables or do existing cabling work aswell?

#1100101 - 01/26/12 07:09 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

It's still in the mail. Now I have to order a CF card

#1103793 - 02/10/12 09:23 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

I've ordered from the UK PC Store. But they lost my package in the mail so it seems. I've been waiting for it for 21 days now. They told me they did not expect a new shipment within a week. So it is gonna take a while. And the item seems backordered everywhere I looked..... Hmmm...

#1104104 - 02/11/12 09:18 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

The UK supplier canceled my order and refunded me. Now I have it ordered at Conrad. A dutch big supplier. They had it on stock and is cheaper. Ordered a 4 GB card with it aswell. It was dispatched today. So it should arrive next tuesday.

#1104772 - 02/14/12 09:11 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

It's here. It's a Conrad own brand. Came with a tray, bracket for computer use and some powerlines.

Hope I'll get around today to build it in....

#1105532 - 02/17/12 05:42 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Loc: the Netherlands
Hi Frans, good to hear you kept the ball rolling on this. Please keep us informed about the outcome.

Do you have a link to the Conrad-item perhaps ?

(I saw there's a long list at http://www.conrad.nl w.r.t. flash adapters, index-link too long to post )

Bedankt/Groeten,

Peter

Originally Posted By: Frans
It's here. It's a Conrad own brand. Came with a tray, bracket for computer use and some powerlines.

Hope I'll get around today to build it in....

Edited by Ptr (02/17/12 05:43 PM)

--------------------

#1105534 - 02/17/12 05:52 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Hello,

Do I understand it correctly that "Flash Memory Toolkit" should in fact be able to make an image of the card, but in the end doesn't result in a card that can be read back again ?

I was hoping to find a way to be able to clone a SD-card, as used as extension-sample-memory in the old little Roland MS-1 phrase sampler. I thought the MS-1 uses the RDAC-format as well, so maybe pretty alike to what the VS-machines use.

So I don't need to be able to read the card on a computer w.r.t. making sense of it, but I would just like to clone a card for use in another MS-1.

Hoping that a tool like "Flash Memory Toolkit" can do that, irrespective of what data-format is actually on it. Can it ? Their website states bit-by-bit, but wasn't explicitly mentioning something like 'images of raw data in whatever format'.

Any suggestions welcomed, perhaps another program/method ?

Thanks !

Peter

I think I resolved my dilemma.

I used "Flash Memory Toolkit" to backup my CF cards, and then wrote those backups to DVD. So much easier than burning a backup from the recorder-attached CDR, and sure faster than 4x.

I can restore the backup to CF or SD which is then picked-up by the rdac:wav converter app. Unfortunately, the restored media is rejected by the recorder as unformatted, and it adds insult to injury by claiming "hardware error". Perhaps I'll try to figure that out someday (I thought it was making an image - maybe not?), but I think my purpose is suited by having the original data saved-off to other media so it can still be a starting point; converted and brought into a workstation. I really don't have any need to work in the recorder after the sessions are captured.

--------------------

#1109346 - 03/06/12 01:15 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Ptr]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

I have the Conrad IDE to compactflash converter

http://www1.conrad.nl/scripts/wgate/zcop..._max_results=20

Edited by Frans (03/06/12 01:16 PM)

#1109533 - 03/07/12 12:22 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Hi Frans, thanks for posting. The link wasn't 'valid' anymore, but if the pic is the right one then it'll be clear which one it'll be, thanks.

Working fine ?

--------------------

#1109912 - 03/08/12 10:23 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Ptr]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

Today, against all odds the Startech board (for wich I got refunded) arrived anyway. So I contacted the seller and bought the board again. I do have two machines so why not covert them both...

I need IDE 44 pin cables. To complete the conversion. Maybe someone has a suggestion?

#1109929 - 03/08/12 01:39 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Last time out I bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-inch-40-Pin-ID...=item3f0a1bfbe9

They have other lengths as well, if memory serves.

Of course, this is a U.S. source, but maybe it will help?

#1110813 - 03/12/12 02:36 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

Bought two female female 44-pin cables. Hope they'll arrive end of this week or maybe early next week.

#1112012 - 03/18/12 10:37 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

I need a female to male cable. So I ordered two.

#1112430 - 03/20/12 10:58 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

I've now build in the Startech board. But the system does not see the flashcard.

#1112432 - 03/20/12 11:16 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

Should I format the flashcard before use in the Roland VSR880?

#1112466 - 03/20/12 03:45 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

You need to format the card WITH the VS before it can see it.
Just go to the Initialize commands and try it. It should initialize.

Unless possibly the card that you have is one that the VS won't work with.... in that case, did you get a card that has been proven to work with this method?

Also, is it possible that you don't have the connectors seated properly? Do you have the jumpers on the adaptor properly placed?.... Does the VS recognize that the adaptor is in place?.... I suppose it does if it's booting and not complaining.

#1112484 - 03/20/12 04:42 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

I have only a 44 pin connector connected. I'm under the impression the 44 pins supply power?

I have now formatted the card on my pc. I'll try again.

#1112487 - 03/20/12 04:54 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

sys.init.Drive=nodrv

I can't initialize pressing shift & system

Edited by Frans (03/20/12 04:55 PM)

#1112519 - 03/20/12 07:59 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

What brand and size CF card are you using?

#1112522 - 03/20/12 08:14 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Checking with my own 880, I see that if I put a new card in the machine, the first thing (and only thing) it does after scanning for an IDE drive is to bring up the System/Initialize Drive request and shows the drive to be IDE: U (for unformatted).

If you're not getting this, then something else must be up.

Like I mentioned before..... maybe a card that won't work for this purpose? What card are you using? One that was recommended on this forum? Need brand and size, please.

Wish somebody else would pop in with some suggestions. I'm fresh out.

#1112650 - 03/21/12 08:22 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

It's called Platinum. And it's a 4 GB disk. I connected it and it gave the NODRV sign. I formatted it on my laptop (where the disk worked great) and I tried again with the VSR880. With the same result.

I wonder. Does a laptop 44pin IDE carry current? I thought it did. That's why a 40 pin desktop connection needs additional current.... Hmmm... Maybe I should get a second flashcard. But I'm hesitant now....

#1112687 - 03/21/12 02:00 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I've never heard of the "Platinum" brand... Are you sure that isn't just the model?

Don't know about the current path, I just followed the directions I read on the 1680 and 880 forums.

#1112750 - 03/21/12 07:25 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

Platinum is all it says. It's a card probably specially delivered to CONRAD. Wich is a big online store in Holland.

I searched online and saw more places where they sell this card.

Edited by Frans (03/21/12 07:29 PM)

#1112808 - 03/21/12 11:15 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Not sure why some cards work and other don't (in a general sense)... Maybe this one doesn't work with the VS.

You have a link or two to the card, by chance?

Page 6 of 12 « First<45678>Last »

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159741 Topics
1849564 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.