Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#1121369 - 05/04/12 07:44 PM OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24?
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Sync'd to an inexpensive laptop running Sonar to record the keys as midi. I'd be replacing my pain-in-the-ass VS-880EX, and using it as a songwriting/arranging and maybe demo-recording tool with the current bunch of bone-heads I'm playing with.

http://tascam.com/product/dp-24/

$599 at Musician's Friend.

Looks like it is easy to export tracks as 48KHz/24-bit wav files so I can play around with editing, effects and other post-production stuff in my "real" DAW at home.

#1121376 - 05/04/12 08:03 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
DAGtunes Offline
Planeteer

Loc: San Clemente, CA
Not familiar with that particular machine, but relating to what you said in the other thread (Zoom) it is just amazing how affordable the (few remaining) stand-alones have become.

Roland laughed all the way to the bank on that one...

#1121414 - 05/05/12 01:10 AM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: DAGtunes]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
Why did they laugh all the way to the bank? I know a guy that bought a $5k 486dx computer back in the day. Did intel or HP laugh all the way to the bank? No...that was cutting edge tech.

The 2480 has a lot of hardware cost, too.

The time they laughed in the bank is everyone who bought the DVD...at that point, they were selling super OLD tech for the same price--but, that's always been the pricing strategy of digital set top boxes. Look at game consoles--the companies LOSE money on every one they sell in the beginning to get the best tech they can into it...once they have this huge library of games and a big rep, that same hardware, because it's frozen in time, becomes HUGE markup for them...

#1121475 - 05/05/12 01:42 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Popmann]
JazAddict Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The West Coast of Florida
Read the Zoom reviews ...I still think its huge bang for the Buck, but you do get what u pay for. Prolly a really fun sketch and live capture box.

But yes...DP24 looks pretty snappysnappy

Edited by JazAddict (05/05/12 01:48 PM)

#1121479 - 05/05/12 02:29 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: JazAddict]
Hano Offline
Mr.
Planeteer

Loc: Belgium - E.U.
I like the colors and Lay out ..
.. Rather big color display = Cool

* 8 analog inputs = Cool.
* XLR and ¼” combo jacks= Cool
* Midi In & Out = Cool.
* Effects sends + returns = Cool
* Dedicated controls for EQ, pan and effect sends = Super cool.

I haven't read all the specs yet .. 24 bit = Nice
Didn' see any coax or optical in & outputs.
A card reader .. yes ..
USB = OK
No DVD writer ? Just a CD-RW ..
Maximum recording space on SD/SDHC Cards = 32 Gig
I like it ..

#1121480 - 05/05/12 02:33 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: JazAddict]
havlicek Offline
Planeteer

Loc: East Hampton, NY
Either one is a pretty astonishingly great value and for Xeno's purposes would probably work just fine. There are some "gotchas" in the machines if you read the specs, but at those prices it's stupid to even consider them as such. Really, the biggest "problem" with them both is their small size. Channel and mixdown functions are often where these kinds of machines are weak...again not a problem. Other things like the quality and function of the onboard drum machine are also besides the point.

-john

-John Havlicek (from "How To Spot An Internet Idiot", © 2012)

#1121533 - 05/06/12 12:43 AM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: havlicek]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

"Astonishing" was exactly the word I used when I saw how inexpensive these things have become. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a DP-24 from Musician's Friend when I saw that I could take an additional 15% off their listed price of $599. Looks like it should suit my purposes just fine. I just hope the A/D converters are halfway decent. Going over the manual now. Super easy to import the audio tracks into my DAW via USB with their "Audio Depot" function.

Scratching my head a bit over this "Noise Shaped Dithering" feature. Looks like it applies to burning audio CDs from a 24-bit project. The manual only says this about it:
 Quote:
Audio CDs use 16-bit quantization, so the master file data is automatically converted to 16-bit.

In general, bit conversion results in a very low level of quantization distortion at points where sound is removed, but you can reduce this quantization distortion by turning the noise shaper on.

The noise shaper in this unit uses a dithering technique that adds random noise below the quantization steps to reduce quantization distortion.

#1121536 - 05/06/12 12:54 AM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
Hano Offline
Mr.
Planeteer

Loc: Belgium - E.U.
It's weird isn't it ? But
Wikpedia sais similar things..

#1121576 - 05/06/12 12:55 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Hano]
JazAddict Offline
Planeteer

How bad can it be? We been schlepping outta 24bit for years without a huge amount of consternation . Worst case u hate the dp24 for this with or without the shaper and u export to ur daw and your tried&true old way. Best case u love it so much ur next thread is in 2 years lookin for a cdr burner replacement cause u wore this one out.
My only complaint is that you didn't buy both and spend weeks A/Bing them for an exhaustive "versus" thread shootout with audio clips. ya know,in ur spare time with ur spare money.

Edited by JazAddict (05/06/12 12:57 PM)

#1122346 - 05/10/12 06:32 AM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: JazAddict]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

It came today. I got to spend a couple hours messing with it. First impression is that it's an amazingly sweet little box. Solidly built, faders feel nice. Super easy to use. Display is kinda small but still easy to read... Even with MY eyes. I didn't get a chance to plug in a decent mic, and I can't sing anyway, so I just recorded my Motif direct and dry. Sounded just fine. Reverb ain't so hot. Not sure if it can be set up to monitor wet and record dry. I didn't play with the compression... I suspect that won't be anything to brag about.

For $509 bucks? Hell yeah! They cut costs in all the right places for my purposes.

#1122372 - 05/10/12 12:45 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Brooklyn Park, MN
i have my 4 ds90's hooked up to my 880ex and 890 digitally how would i hook them up to the dsp24 in this thread or even the zoom

VS PLANET RADIO

#1122391 - 05/10/12 02:58 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: glensimonds]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

No digital I/O on this box (other than flying tracks/songs to computer via USB). Wouldn't want to do anything other than rough reference mixes on this machine. No automation... effects are second-rate... I bought it for easy, on-location recording of dry tracks that I could fly into my DAW at home for editing/mixing/processing.

#1122607 - 05/11/12 03:21 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Pensacola, FL
Xemophile, I’ve been looking at the DP24 and 2488neo too. Quick questions: 1). Does it have digital inputs because I don’t see that indicated in the specs? 2). Does it have onboard automation?

Thanks,

Chris

#1122609 - 05/11/12 03:23 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Xenophile
No digital I/O on this box (other than flying tracks/songs to computer via USB). Wouldn't want to do anything other than rough reference mixes on this machine. No automation... effects are second-rate... I bought it for easy, on-location recording of dry tracks that I could fly into my DAW at home for editing/mixing/processing.

#1122640 - 05/11/12 05:38 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
Nice-looking, impressive unit... enjoy!

Guess you'll be posting some tunes recorded on it soon.

Starliner

#1122678 - 05/11/12 07:53 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Starliner]
String Jammer Offline
Hall Of Fame Fiddler
Planeteer

Loc: Northeastern US
Nice plastic! My band mate has the DP24 and you can't do half of the functions of the VS. One of my main dislikes is that you can't do a simple thing like "CD Capture". That's a biggie for me. Plugins, mastering, etc. non-existent.

My Sound Cloud Page

#1123126 - 05/14/12 01:51 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: String Jammer]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: String Jammer
Nice plastic! My band mate has the DP24 and you can't do half of the functions of the VS. One of my main dislikes is that you can't do a simple thing like "CD Capture". That's a biggie for me. Plugins, mastering, etc. non-existent.

What is "CD Capture?" I have an 1880, and I don't hink it has that option.

I’d love to find an all-in-one that would offer the flexibility of being able to cut projects from start to finish inside the unit or via user friendly and quick interface with computer software, like Reaper. That would be awesome….something like a 2480 but that was also designed to interface with your PC or Mac….I’d buy that in a heartbeat.

#1123138 - 05/14/12 03:22 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: String Jammer]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: String Jammer
you can't do half of the functions of the VS. One of my main dislikes is that you can't do a simple thing like "CD Capture". That's a biggie for me. Plugins, mastering, etc. non-existent.
None of that matters for the use I have in mind. It does have multiband compression and other tools for mastering, but I don't care about that since I plan to use it to record dry and fly 24/48 wav file into Sonar for mixing/processing. Not sure what you mean by "CD Capture." The DP-24 does allow you to rip and burn CDs.

I'm having some problems syncing it to Sonar using MTC, though. Sonar's "Now" time keeps jumping around... midi playback drops out... Sonar drops out of Record. There's a thread over on Homerec where some folks mention similar problems with DP-24 generating MTC. Sync via midi clock seems to work OK, though... as long as I remember to set the tempos to match. That should be fine for my purposes.

#1123152 - 05/14/12 04:09 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, IL
CD capture = lets you yank the stereo tracks from an already recorded CD to a pair of v-tracks.

#1123154 - 05/14/12 04:14 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: ulank]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: ulank
CD capture = lets you yank the stereo tracks from an already recorded CD to a pair of v-tracks.

Oh....okay..thanks for the answer.....but this raises the question "why?"....any computer could do that 15 years ago....what am I missing.

#1123155 - 05/14/12 04:19 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Memphis Monroe]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, IL
Well, pulling it into your computer wouldn't pull it into your Roland.

I've used it, for instance, to run the frequency analyzer on some pro-recorded stuff...gotta have it on v-tracks to do that.

#1123159 - 05/14/12 04:47 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: ulank]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: ulank
Well, pulling it into your computer wouldn't pull it into your Roland.

I've used it, for instance, to run the frequency analyzer on some pro-recorded stuff...gotta have it on v-tracks to do that.

Okay...that makes sense, but isn't that what programs like HarBal are for?

#1123162 - 05/14/12 05:04 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Memphis Monroe]
DogoftheMoon Offline
Space Cadet

I have been following the tascam dp24 since its release and have noticed some suspicious things going on with the unit. First of all, Zzounds has erased all of its reviews of the product up to this point and dropped the price by $50, Musicians friend has dropped the price a whopping $200 in 3 months, plus it had 6 used units the last time I checked, which seems like a fairly high amount for a brand new machine. I would stay away from this puppy until they figure out some of the problems that many have been having with freeze ups, etc. Seems like all of the bad posts disappear. Buyer beware!!!
#1123178 - 05/14/12 06:27 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: DogoftheMoon]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

I'll certainly let you all know if any bad things happen with mine. So far, I'm not unhappy with it.

#1191438 - 01/16/13 02:28 AM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
VFreak Offline
Space Cadet

I believe they have a section dedicated to DP-24 over at TASCAM forums. I haven't been there in a while, but they are usually quick to answer questions about TASCAM gear.

Edited by VFreak (01/16/13 02:28 AM)

#1191460 - 01/16/13 03:28 AM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: VFreak]
JazAddict Offline
Planeteer

Is there a record for resurrection of a thread?

BTW xeno,how u liking the dp24 now that uve had it for....carry the one....7? Months?

#1191467 - 01/16/13 05:17 AM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: JazAddict]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

Wish I had more time to use it. I like it fine for what I got it for... Location tracking of the band and then importing into Sonar. For about $600 bucks I can't complain.

It's real easy to use. Records up to 8 tracks at once at 24/96 onto SD cards. Decent pre's. effects are kinda cheesy, but that's what the DAW is for.

#1191507 - 01/16/13 12:54 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
havlicek Offline
Planeteer

Loc: East Hampton, NY
So for about $600, you use the thing to record raw tracks and then shoot them to the computer for editing, tweaking and mixing/mastering. Seems like a pretty good deal. You could go straight into the computer in the first place with something like a Tascam US1800 for $200 (I have no idea whether or not the US1800 is a POS), but not be able to record live/remote. Even if the onboard effects are crappy, that really doesn't matter for this kind of use. The main thing that would be a deal-breaker is whether or not the USB transfer function is solid and reasonably fast.

-john

-John Havlicek (from "How To Spot An Internet Idiot", © 2012)

#1191519 - 01/16/13 02:24 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: havlicek]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

USB transfer is solid and reasonably fast. You can take out the SD card and just copy from that.

Two ways to do it. The easiest, but slowest, way is to export the tracks to the "Audio Depot." That takes a few minutes. It copies all the tracks to full length wav files from time 0. If your memory card is getting full and you're in 24/96 mode, you might run out of space, though. But then importing and lining them up in a DAW is a snap.

Alternatively you can go into the song folders and grab the raw tracks from there without doing the export. But they're not rendered from time 0, and from what I've been able to figure out, they're not time-stamped, so you've got to align them yourself. Also, the tracks from the "undo history" are there, too, if you haven't optimized your tracks to delete takes you don't want. There might be some tricks to make it easier, but I haven't spent any real time trying to work this way.

I just take the extra few minutes to export the tracks to the Audio Depot, copy them to Sonar, and do all my editing there.

#1191522 - 01/16/13 03:02 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
JazAddict Offline
Planeteer

Good deal. Glad its workin out

#1208068 - 03/29/13 11:29 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: JazAddict]
TreeDragon7 Offline
Planeteer

so the pre's and ad da conversion is good in the unit ?
#1208075 - 03/29/13 11:45 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: TreeDragon7]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

I'm not as experienced and discriminating as some of the other guys around here, but I can testify that it is WAY better than my old VS880-EX. And, to my ears, the A/D is as good as the Delta Audiophile 2496 that I've got in my DAW at home.

Pros are likely to scoff, but for $600.00 I think it's awesome, and suits my needs perfectly well.

#1208080 - 03/30/13 12:04 AM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: Xenophile]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
Put a VGA card on it --- & it looks great ~!

#1208130 - 03/30/13 04:48 AM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: C Jo Go]
TreeDragon7 Offline
Planeteer

the tascam supports vga ?
#1208183 - 03/30/13 04:53 PM Re: OK... So how about this Tascam DP-24? [Re: TreeDragon7]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

No, it doesn't. C Jo is tripping again.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159741 Topics
1849569 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.