Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#1159623 - 09/26/12 12:52 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Silversmith Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Commanda, Canada
Two albums that come to mind for me that had a great order of songs (both double albums) are "Electric Ladyland" and "Songs in the Key of Life".

Andy on Soundcloud

#1159624 - 09/26/12 12:52 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Dave Morris Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 75
Planeteer

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Jazzooo
"Well, yes. I remember the songs. I couldn't tell you what the sequence was. I would have listened to octopus garden and said " hmm, not bad, kind of quirky" I would then have listened to whatever was next.
At the end, I would remember the great songs, and mostly forget the not so great.
It would not have affected my opinion of Abbey Road in the slightest. I know that, because I couldn't tell you the song sequence right now. "

I think you're pretending to be some kind of Vulcan right now, Dave. ;\) It was 1969, and if you bought it when it came out, I suspect that you'd definitely remember at least how each side started and ended.

Side one: Come Together

Side two: Here Comes the Sun

How it ended: with the song called THE END--and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...

I don't think it would have been so iconic if that track appeared third on the album, but maybe that is just me.

No, honestly. I don't remember the sequence. And yes, of course, any song called "the End" would pretty well have to be at the end. Just like the Moody Blues had a cd with a song called "in the beginning". That was at the start.

I just remember the individual songs, but couldn't tell you the order if you paid me big bucks.

Right now, if you asked me, I couldn't tell you the start song on any cd. Perhaps if I had bought one recently, I might still know, but I haven't.

And I am pretty sure Spock would remember the song sequence.

#1159630 - 09/26/12 01:04 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Dave Morris Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 75
Planeteer

Well, I guess you aren't the target audience for this question as you normally buy individual tracks over CDs anyway. But I do have one final question for you:

"I wouldn't just listen to the first 2 tracks."

What if the first track you listened to online was truly lame (again, I will use Octopuses' Garden as my example)? Would you necessarily listen to a second track?

If I was just randomly browsing for new music, I probably wouldn't listen to more than 1 track sample. If I knew the band, or they had been recommended, then I would listen to a few samples.

Originally Posted By: jazzooo

The argument can be made that people *can* start listening in the middle, but I think human nature is still somewhat intact and the majority of people, when looking at 12 mp3 samples, will probably opt to start at track one.

Sure. Don't disagree. But that doesn't address the key issue. What I am looking for in a cd may not be what the musician was looking for. In other words, the musician may love the 1st track, and I may hate it. At that point, game over anyway.

Now if the listener has reason to check out a few more songs, then they likely will skip around, or even do what I do, and click on the track with a song name that catches my interest.

But again, this isn't about how to sell more CDs in pop's case--it is what is the best listening experience for the buyer after he or she buys? To say that most who buy his CD will put it into their player and hit 'random' doesn't feel accurate--why would they?

I think it is more traditional that they will hit 'play.' Just my take on the world. \:\)

Sure they will. Once they buy it.
My point though is that it doesn't really affect their listening pleasure. Their pleasure is song focused (Concept albuums excepted).
If the songs had been in a different sequence, I don't think it would affect their enjoyment at all.
But thats just me (and probably most of the non musicians on the planet)

#1159654 - 09/26/12 01:46 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Dave Morris]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Walmartville
I used to think song sequence was very important til I started to listen to songs on shuffle on my iPod, I don't miss listening to full albums at all.

However there is an occasional time when going from one song to another provides a whole enjoyable realm. That's more about a perfect juxtoposition than a whole list of songs in a good order though.

#1159667 - 09/26/12 02:10 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: AL]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico ...
"What I am looking for in a cd may not be what the musician was looking for. In other words, the musician may love the 1st track, and I may hate it. At that point, game over anyway."

I would like to thank you for the absolutely perfect set up for the following comments. \:\)

If I, the artist, put what I think is my best work at the beginning, and you hate it, I don't think it's very likely that you're going to be happy with my other tracks either. I'm pretty versatile, but it's unlikely the opening track is going to sound like a Whole Lotta Love, and the next track will be a New Age synth fantasy. ;\)

Most of us aren't well-known enough for someone to compelled to listen to more than few seconds after 1 disappointing track. So I think it behooves us to put whatever we feel is the strongest material as the opening set of songs.
That way, even if we lose, we've been rejected on the basis of our very best work, as opposed to something we felt wasn't as representative of our True Vision.

Different strokes for different folks, but I think for the foreseeable future I will continue to view my albums, to create my albums, with a cinematic model in mind: they have a beginning, a middle, and an end. And maybe even some kind of story gets told...

Edited by Jazzooo (09/26/12 02:13 AM)

#1159672 - 09/26/12 02:16 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Oh, and pop-

It's very likely that you do have stronger and weaker material on your album, but you're too close to it to recognize. That doesn't mean they're not all excellent, which I'm sure they are. But that's the value of letting someone impartial tell you the way they think it should be sequenced.

And here is the beautiful part! If you don't agree, it usually forces you into making a decision and suddenly you realize that yes, you did have an opinion after all. It's like the technique of flipping a coin when you have a really tough decision to make. You flip the coin, and you look at which side is up… And then you ask yourself how you feel about that decision that was just made for you. If you feel good about it, go with it. If not, then you just saved yourself from making the wrong decision.

#1159676 - 09/26/12 02:21 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
DAGtunes Offline
Planeteer

Loc: San Clemente, CA
Different strokes for different folks, but I think for the foreseeable future I will continue to view my albums, to create my albums, with a cinematic model in mind: they have a beginning, a middle, and an end. And maybe even some kind of story gets told...

Exactly.

#1159679 - 09/26/12 02:24 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
DAGtunes Offline
Planeteer

Loc: San Clemente, CA
But that's the value of letting someone impartial tell you the way they think it should be sequenced.

Yup. This was once a function of A&R and producers.

And here is the beautiful part! If you don't agree, it usually forces you into making a decision and suddenly you realize that yes, you did have an opinion after all. It's like the technique of flipping a coin when you have a really tough decision to make. You flip the coin, and you look at which side is up… And then you ask yourself how you feel about that decision that was just made for you. If you feel good about it, go with it. If not, then you just saved yourself from making the wrong decision.

Cool advice. I'd never thought of that coin technique...I usually just become paralyzed with anxiety over the decision, and don't make a decision at all!

#1159712 - 09/26/12 03:43 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Dave Morris Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 75
Planeteer

"What I am looking for in a cd may not be what the musician was looking for. In other words, the musician may love the 1st track, and I may hate it. At that point, game over anyway."

I would like to thank you for the absolutely perfect set up for the following comments. \:\)

If I, the artist, put what I think is my best work at the beginning, and you hate it, I don't think it's very likely that you're going to be happy with my other tracks either. I'm pretty versatile, but it's unlikely the opening track is going to sound like a Whole Lotta Love, and the next track will be a New Age synth fantasy. ;\)

Allow me in return to thank you for providing me an opportunity to respond accordingly.
If all the songs are indeed not wildly different, then the affect on the listener of the song sequence is going to be pretty marginal. Presumably all the songs on the CD are considered good by the artist, no ?
So the artist may think one song is slightly better than another. A purely subjective perspective which may not be shared by the listener.
I agree that this seems to matter to the artist. I'm just saying I don't think it matters very much at all to the listener.

Most of us aren't well-known enough for someone to compelled to listen to more than few seconds after 1 disappointing track. So I think it behooves us to put whatever we feel is the strongest material as the opening set of songs.
That way, even if we lose, we've been rejected on the basis of our very best work, as opposed to something we felt wasn't as representative of our True Vision.

Sure. I can see the rationale for the artist to think that way. I just don't think the consumer/listener is much affected, if at all.

#1159720 - 09/26/12 04:17 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
Oh, and pop-

It's very likely that you do have stronger and weaker material on your album, but you're too close to it to recognize.

I'm just saying this is not an album of a year's output. "strong" is wholly subjective. The truth is that 99% of the population will find the whole thing "not strong". If I'm LuCKY...that's the way art is. Now, those more seasoned and wise may be able to listen and tell something is more single worthy--meaning more likely to appeal to the broadest swipe of people who hit play...which is what we're gonna call "strong" in this context.

Just wanted to clarify my comment on there only being strong material. This is the wrap up of an era for me.

Anyone want to buy a recording studio worth of gear? All for sale...as soon as this is mastered. Would suck to want to be able to run down a version with the vocal up a bit and have sold the gear it takes to do it...but, over. Capital O.

Thus the name, which interestingly, I didn't even consider until I ripped the mp3s for you guys...and it asked me to name the album.

2012 Black Label

It is...fitting...spontaneous. Plenty of interpretations. Built in graphics. Plus...seeing the announcements of "Bob LIkES 2012 Black Label" on Facebook will be worthy of a few investigative clicks.

#1159736 - 09/26/12 05:34 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Popmann]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I like the name!

I know what you're saying about it being a wrapping up of many year's effort--my upcoming solo piano album has songs I wrote 40 years ago and songs I wrote last month!

But even still, I do have the power to be mostly impartial about my own work, and though I love each of the 17 tracks...I still ditched 4 more that I loved because I loved the others even more.

And in putting an order to my CD, the first four are a magical combination that tells the listener much of what he needs to know about me:

Track one: I write some seriously pretty ballads;

Track two:...but it isn't going to be an album of only ballads! Plus I have a sense of humor and some pretty good chops;

Track three; my harmonies are surprising without being upsetting or illogical, plus I can swing in 6/8 so everything won't have the same time signature either;

Track 4: I can make a fairly profound musical statement in only 1:54 if I want to.

That is how i picked those first four--in that specific order--over the other 13, which are all extensions of those points, I guess. Some of it is analysis in retrospect, but most of it was very conscious.

And I believe that folks who listen will at least subconsciously get some of that 'information' from those tracks. This isn't my first rodeo, you know. ;\)

Dave...

"If all the songs are indeed not wildly different, then the affect on the listener of the song sequence is going to be pretty marginal."

Well, not exactly--there can be ballads, and shuffles, and straight ahead rockers, and unplugged tracks, all on the same album. If the artist has his own 'voice' then it will hold together, but if you think people might listen from the beginning you should still lead with the track you feel will capture their imaginations the fastest and the hardest.

Tell you what--if you ever did an album yourself, these issues would probably speak to you a bit more. Don't you think so?

" Presumably all the songs on the CD are considered good by the artist, no ?"

Who knows? Maybe the Beatles thought "Don't Pass Me By" was the best song on the White Album. But they would have been idiots to put it first. ;\)

Like I said--I think all of my songs on the upcoming album are excellent examples of my voice on piano and as a composer. But that doesn't mean they all speak the same information as compellingly as another.

By the way--I hate to share this trade secret with you, as I might be breaking some kind of dark marketing code, but consumers almost never think they have been influenced by the things that have definitely influenced their decisions. It's like the guy who is hypnotized to swat at an imaginary fly on his nose over and over--he thinks he's doing it because there is a fly, but that isn't the case at all.

Edited by Jazzooo (09/26/12 05:40 AM)

#1159760 - 09/26/12 12:15 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Dave Morris Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 75
Planeteer

Tell you what--if you ever did an album yourself, these issues would probably speak to you a bit more. Don't you think so?

I'm sure they would. But it wouldn't change my opinion on whether the listeners care. It would certainly preoccupy me for a while, though.

By the way--I hate to share this trade secret with you, as I might be breaking some kind of dark marketing code, but consumers almost never think they have been influenced by the things that have definitely influenced their decisions. It's like the guy who is hypnotized to swat at an imaginary fly on his nose over and over--he thinks he's doing it because there is a fly, but that isn't the case at all.

Ah well, yes. Thats usually the argument put forward by marketing depts when asking for a budget increase.
Like an old marketing buddy of mine used to say "normally 50% of marketing is effective, and the other 50% is wasted. We just never know which is which"

#1159768 - 09/26/12 01:19 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Dave Morris]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

"Thats usually the argument put forward by marketing depts when asking for a budget increase. Like an old marketing buddy of mine used to say "normally 50% of marketing is effective, and the other 50% is wasted. We just never know which is which"

Lol. And yet--it works.

#1159829 - 09/26/12 04:32 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Too bad...looks like "black label" isn't quite as universal in the time spent in the barrel as I thought. Still like it as a name for the general "this is aged longer than the typical whiskey for more potency and richer flavor"...

Which turns out to be 8 years for Beam and 12 for Walker...I was under the impression it was industry standard for a decade. But, I guess taken as an average...

#1159830 - 09/26/12 04:34 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Popmann]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

In googling the term, I found out there's an indie record label based out of Twangville that uses the term. Ha. Black Label Music Society. Unfortunately, one must apparently be drunk to appreciate the genius of their roster.
#1159834 - 09/26/12 04:42 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Popmann]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

Loc: at the wave ranch dressing
I think safe to assume that Dave Morris is a grumpy old contrary man that collects spit off the sidewalk rather than see it go to waste. Some just don't want to see the path where an open mind can lead.

But at least he's not bitter

#1159837 - 09/26/12 04:44 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: FlametopFred]
Dave Morris Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 75
Planeteer

I am a little bitter.
#1159838 - 09/26/12 04:48 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: FlametopFred]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

A great album is a (hate the term but it works) programmed experience.

Beethovan did not just put the end of his ninth symphony at the start. The whole of ninth leads up to the climax, the crescendo.

Music is sex and song sequencing is foreplay, among other things.

A producer (and sometimes musicians involved) selects the song order to either tell a story or provide a listening experience. Albums are going back to that, despite iTunes and shuffle.

Radiohead would be a recent example, there are others. Under-30 music lovers that I talk to are drawn to albums more than singles, these days. Under-20's are usually drawn to singles.

Arc.

It's a listening arc with a pre-meditated purpose.

Random does not always work, and can dilute the effect of all that effort put into a song.

Even live albums are sequenced - what worked live in front of an audience sounds different when on CD or vinyl.

Movies are edited in a similar way, as are books, novels and short stories. It is one reason why there is editing.

Black Label is a good beer, also.

#1159901 - 09/26/12 07:54 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: FlametopFred]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

.... and Done.

I've mailed my SECRET BALLOT to Popman. It's a beautiful song sequence of stunning vision, clarity and something Mike Love would have been proud of \:\)

Seriously though, hope that Jazzoo does one too. I would be curious to see how we are different or the same, etc etc

#1159905 - 09/26/12 07:57 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: FlametopFred]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I hope he does too.

I am thankful for you guys having passion for sequencing. And being kind enough to share said passion.

#1159907 - 09/26/12 08:03 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Popmann]
Silversmith Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Commanda, Canada
I guess I'm old fashioned, but I still listen to "albums" in their entirety from start to finish because I like to hear the progression through it. Unless, I'm playing "background" music at a social gathering, I rarely (if ever) use random play.

From the producer/musician point of view I think that if you've spent all this time, energy and heart and soul into creating the songs, the artwork and packaging, why not go the extra step and put the thought into the order of the songs. To me, it's all part of the "artistic" statement.

Andy on Soundcloud

#1159912 - 09/26/12 08:09 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Popmann]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I've listened once--very good work, on many levels. I am not sure that I am unhappy with the current sequence, though I want to play around with the second half a tad. Loved the opener, personally. I think you chose right.

#1159917 - 09/26/12 08:15 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

turning into a thread full of intrigue, suspense, creative ebbs and flows

and yes - a very good work indeed !

#1159929 - 09/26/12 08:51 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Tao Jones Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CA
I just listen to it different ways until I find the way that seems right. And I care a whole lot.

My nephew tells me it doesn't matter because he just dumps everything I do into a big playlist that plays randomly. He thinks most younger people don't even listen in order, they just dump it all onto the artist's playlist.

I still obsess over putting it how I think makes sense.

I pay no attention to any kind of thing like hits first or fast ones first. Usually it only really works for me one way, and I eventually find that way and then it seems inevitable.

#1159933 - 09/26/12 08:58 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Tao Jones]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

The day I care about how young people listen is the day I quit making music, unless I'm getting paid an awful lot. I love young people, but they aren't any smarter than I was when I was young!

We're artists--it's our decision. If people want to fuck around with it after the fact, they can.

#1160064 - 09/27/12 01:35 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I keep getting the feeling that Girl I Used to Know should be third, swapped with End of he Day. And I think that Ashes is buried, which is a mistake since it uses the contemporary loopy funk that some will be drawn to. I could make the argument that Ashes become song three, then Girl I used to Know, and then the ...well, here:

1. Harvest
2. How Far I've Come
3. Ashes
4. Girl I Used to Know
5. Letting Go
6. End of the Day
7. Lose You
8. For As Long As I Can Hold You
9. With Each Passing Hour
10. Ricochet
11. Commencement
12. Water on the Stone
13. From Here

#1160456 - 09/28/12 03:35 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Thanks for listening, Doug.
#1160475 - 09/28/12 04:28 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Popmann]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

here is my suggested running order, resulting in

a) story narrative to the songs as a whole
b) sonic journey
c) two half albums (think old school vinyl and flipping the record) of 30 minutes each
d) three 20 minute suites
e) you're soaking in in now; all of the above

1) Commencement
2) Ashes
3) From Here
4) Water on the Stone
5) Girl I Used to Know
6) Lose You
7) Harvest
8) How Far I've Come
9) End of the Day
10) For as long as I can Hold You
11) With each passing hour
12) Ricochet
13) letting Go

#1160530 - 09/28/12 06:27 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: FlametopFred]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

The most interesting thing, to me...which I mean, I knew intellectually...is that art is all about the listener. I kept looking for some relational pattern between the actual storyline as life timeline...FWIW...for those interested...order of writing:

Letting Go
For As Long...
With Each Passing Hour
Ricochet
From Here
Ashes
Harvest
Water on the Stone
Lose You
How Far
Girl I Used to Know
Commencement
End Of the Day

Anyway...surprising consistency is the mention of Ashes up front...the one tune here that was close to just not being included...and represented the biggest PIA mix...and the one I still don't actually LIKE the mix--only one with notes for mastering other than where to start/end the fades.

I've got some CDs to make for listening. Actually...maybe I'll do playliststs...kick it new school...Thanks.

#1160545 - 09/28/12 08:36 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Popmann]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

That's exactly what I do, make multiple CDs. But if you're neurotic like me, you will start to think as a song is ending "it would be cool to hear xyz next...."

And thus decisions get made.

#1160557 - 09/28/12 09:39 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

neurosis like that is something we have in common \:\)

but I now know what / why that works now - that is, what usually makes the most logical next song (but also comes from the gut)

#1160572 - 09/28/12 10:52 PM Re: Song sequencing [Re: FlametopFred]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Exactly! It really is like the coin toss thing, to me at least. If you're stuck, arbitrarily make a choice and then listen to your gut. Happy? You did the right thing. Unhappy? perfect! Now you know exactly what to do!

It is the same kind of wisdom that you see in sibling problem solvers like this:

"Mom, he took the biggest piece of cake!"

"Well, from here on out: one of you cuts the cake, and the other gets to choose the piece he wants!"

And then watch how even the pieces are from then on out.

#1160585 - 09/29/12 12:07 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Jazzooo]
Tao Jones Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CA
When I am working on a cd, I often play it on a random playlist, and I notice how songs work one into the other, and I find certain songs will be great bumped against each other that way.
#1160591 - 09/29/12 12:25 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: Tao Jones]
virtualan Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sauchie, Scotland, UK
 Originally Posted By: Tao Jones
When I am working on a cd, I often play it on a random playlist, and I notice how songs work one into the other, and I find certain songs will be great bumped against each other that way.

+1 on the method

My Website : My YouTube Channel : Facebook : SoundCloud

#1160607 - 09/29/12 01:31 AM Re: Song sequencing [Re: virtualan]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

You know, I've never use that method. maybe I should. but the truth is, about 70% of the time. I know pretty much where I will put each song even before I record it. I make a few changes towards the end, but I tend to imagine the CD finished early on in the process.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159765 Topics
1849745 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.034 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.