Page 8 of 12 « First<678910>Last »
Topic Options
#1121327 - 05/04/12 11:37 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
As previously posted:

Whatever you do, don't try to manipulate those VS files with an ordinary Windows application (other than copying to your PC hard drive) and don't write anything onto that card from Windows. If you do, the card will probably not read in the VS and you would then need to reformat/re-initialize the card with the VS. _________________________

Running checks on the flash card with Windows tools will naturally write something to the disk. You will most likely lose the VS data, or at least access to it from the VS if you let Windows write anything to the card. You will probably also need to re-initialize the card in the VS again now to be able to use it again in the VS. You should not, however, need to turn on "Physical Format", which will take a painfully long time to do otherwise.

Always make sure you keep a spare copy of your original project (at least don't delete the current one) on the VS until you can confirm that your transfer and file conversion to the PC has given you what you want/need.

It's the nature of the beast, man.....

Gotta learn to go with the flow on this one, I'm afraid.

#1121495 - 05/05/12 05:42 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

Loc: netherlands
No problem. And nothing lost. Just trying to document all those lil things that might go wrong and how to jump through the hoop.

I'd like to write back to the VSR880. But I probably can do that with SPDIF. So I can record up to 8 tracks and then import into Reaper. Then mix and record (spdif) back to the VSR880 and record another 6 and so on... Just to get me a good workflow for recording new songs.

And in the mean while. I'm sorta pissed off that I got a Lexar card and it is not working. But the other card seems to be working now.... Simply because I am not using an expensive piece of extention cable I bought on special order...

https://www.facebook.com/frans.vandenberge.1

#1133032 - 06/23/12 09:58 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: gabeNC]
Mauifolks Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Maui Hawaii
Ok guys,
I purchased the 44 pin adapter to SDHC. It plugged right into the factory Roland caddy. I used a Transcend 4Gig card. I turn the machine on and it reads "No drive". Does this mean it's not recognizing the Transcend card? BTW, this was the same message I was getting when the hard drive stopped working. I was hoping using the SDHC card would solve this issue. Ive ordered another card, do you think that's the problem? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#1133065 - 06/24/12 12:02 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Mauifolks]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Have you checked carefully to make sure you haven't accidentally bent one of the connector pins on either the caddy or internal connector?

When did the VS begin reporting no drive? Was it after you had pulled the internal drive out and re-inserted it, or did it just suddenly stop recognizing the drive without the drive ever having been removed from the unit?

I've used the same Transcend card (I imagine) with no problem. Of course, my VS did not report "no drive" either.

#1133413 - 06/25/12 03:22 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
padlockbeats Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Australia
hey all,

ive had my vs880ex for about 5 yrs, im pretty keen to start using it again.
i mainly want to give it to an emcee friend who is addicted to boss 8 tracks n such, but they have all crapped out on him. and my digi002 console doesnt like his pro tools 9.0.3, but works on my 9.0. except i cant see my mate wanting to rip out the card from inside everytime, it needs to be flush and accesible from outside like any other cf/sd type reader is..

any ways good to see this thread is up and running.. im about to order some shit and get this rolling.

im i correct in reading(and i did read EVEYTHING/multiple threads) that the RR ide cable mod going straght to the vs board makes it faster or more reliable regarding too much track count/undo crashing?

cheers,
seb

#1137867 - 07/15/12 03:37 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Mauifolks Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Maui Hawaii
Have not checked any pin connectors on the 880. The VS 880 gave me the "No drive" message after it's power cable got nudged and it didn't have power for a few seconds. So, not the proper shut down procedures, but the cord wasn't fitting snug in the machine. When powered back up, it said "No drive".
I hoped the SD card route would be a less expensive fix so I could sell the unit. I subsequently purchased a VS-2000. I hate to have to throw the 880 away. It's such a great machine. I wonder how much of the case I need to remove to access the pin connecter on the 880 itself? It's back there farther than my fat little fingers can reach.

#1137892 - 07/15/12 01:23 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Mauifolks]
astronaut Offline
Planeteer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a VSR-880 and I'm using an IDE-to-CF adapter with a MAXWELL 8GB CF card, works fine. I've also tested it with a CF-to-SDHC adapter, some SDHC cards worked some did not.

From what I understand (by looking at the pics) you guys have opened the VSR in order to connect the IDE-to-CF adapter directly to the motherboard, so as to skip the Roland-to-IDE type connector adapter in the drive bay? Am I correct?

If so, what kind of connector does the mother-board have? Can I just take an IDE ribbon cable and connect the IDE-to-CF adapter straight to the mother-board?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1137938 - 07/15/12 04:52 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: astronaut]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
I am unsure on the detected virus thing in CD2ROLAND. I have seen it too.

My compiled file DOES NOT have any virus, but when I download it, Alvira flags it... I even sent Hook a new copy of the file and when he replaced it on his site it started to report a virus....

I THINK it is a false positive - if anyone is worried just email me and I will reply with a totally known clean copy attached.

#1149447 - 08/26/12 12:51 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: astronaut]
RocketRancher Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Mississippi Gulf Coast
 Originally Posted By: astronaut

From what I understand (by looking at the pics) you guys have opened the VSR in order to connect the IDE-to-CF adapter directly to the motherboard, so as to skip the Roland-to-IDE type connector adapter in the drive bay? Am I correct?

If so, what kind of connector does the mother-board have? Can I just take an IDE ribbon cable and connect the IDE-to-CF adapter straight to the mother-board?

Hello Astronaut

(1) Some. I haven't skipped it, but allowed it to remain in-place while extending the bus and power to a CF adapter that can be interchanged with the drive caddy.

(2) The VSR board has a 50pin receptacle for the drive cable. Modify a SCSI ribbon cable to avail of the first 44 lines that serve an IDE interface. Details are in posts 1049354 and 1063481

Be sure to note the special treatment for the lines that carry power.

RR

#1153015 - 09/05/12 10:57 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: RocketRancher]
Kamal Offline
Space Cadet

Hi folks, im a newbie with the roland vs880, i bought it recently and it already comes with the sd adaptor... everything was running cool and quickly, but suddenly it crashed... i replace the card but i had no results... now im replacing the card reader:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sd-memory-c...ve-14362?item=6

this is what it worked, i ordered a new one and i hope this will work. if not, i will need the knowledge of the users....

aah, one last thing, i dont have my old sd card here, but it worked ok, and it was a sandisk... iŽll tell you in other moment the exact model.

#1154992 - 09/11/12 11:42 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Kamal]
saschaberg Offline
Space Cadet

Hi all,
I've been following this forum for some time now and decided to perform the CF mod to both of my VS880 VExpanded (firmware 3.20B). Both were successful, no problem. I've also modified the HD carriage and front plate to enable me to remove the CF card without opening the VS, just like a built in CF reader for easy file transfer or even for archiving as CF cards are quite cheap. I see there is high demand for this mod; I can perform it for anyone interested, including parts + 1 x Lexar Platinum2 4 Gb CF card. This way you get 4 partitions; 3 x 1073Mb and 1 x 787Mb, no noise!

#1156577 - 09/17/12 07:00 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: saschaberg]
C64Phreak Offline
Space Cadet

I wanted to share my SD experience with others in case they had a similar issue. I couldn't get the VSWE program to see my SD card. I figured out the problem and this may help others with a similar setup. I was using a Windows emulator on a Macbook Pro. I run Parallels 5 w/Windows XP for PC applications. When I put the SD card containing VR9 files in the Mac, the Mac had captured the card and it was not available as a regular drive in Win XP after I booted up Parallels. The SD card was showing up as a network drive in XP and was not available to the VSWE program for whatever reason. The key was to first boot up the Parallels program running Win XP and then insert the SD card in the Mac. The Mac then asks if you want the card available to the Mac or PC. If you say PC, then it shows up as a regular drive in Windows and is fully available to the VSWE program. It worked like a charm and I was able to extract all VR9 files to WAV files! Sorry to post in multiple areas. This has completely breathed new life into my VS-880EX!
#1174349 - 11/13/12 04:04 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: C64Phreak]
Alice Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Netherlands
Hi all,

Thanx for all the info. I bought a vs880(exp) just to play without sound. This because I live in between neighbours with little children. I play drums and two friends of mine play bass and guitar. Together with three headsets (via splitter). Now I got a microphone for my birthday. Its all coming together. And we are now also recording. Questions I have for you all:

- The youtube-film is no longer on-line and I cant find another film explaining how it works...
- I read about the 52/44 pin connector, but don't fully understand it. When I retrieve my harddisk out of the slave I can see a 52 pin female connector. All the converters have a 44 pin connector. Can I place this in the 52 pin connector without a problem?
- I read different things about CF and/or SD. What should I do?
- Maybe there should be a summary of items to have/not have for the VS880(exp)?

Many thanks to you all!!

#1174361 - 11/13/12 04:55 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Alice]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Alice
Hi all,

Thanx for all the info. I bought a vs880(exp) just to play without sound. This because I live in between neighbours with little children. I play drums and two friends of mine play bass and guitar. Together with three headsets (via splitter). Now I got a microphone for my birthday. Its all coming together. And we are now also recording. Questions I have for you all:

- The youtube-film is no longer on-line and I cant find another film explaining how it works...
- I read about the 52/44 pin connector, but don't fully understand it. When I retrieve my harddisk out of the slave I can see a 52 pin female connector. All the converters have a 44 pin connector. Can I place this in the 52 pin connector without a problem?
- I read different things about CF and/or SD. What should I do?
- Maybe there should be a summary of items to have/not have for the VS880(exp)?

Many thanks to you all!!

Congrats on your VS endeavors!

Why do you feel the need to change your current internal hard drive to SD/CF? It's difficult for me to see how the small amount of noise a VS hard drive makes (which is usually the primary reason stated) could be a problem in your situation. I managed to record to the VS for many years with and without microphones with very little inconvenience from fan and hard drive noise, since it's usually quite easy to position the VS and microphone in such a way so to avoid these problems.

So if not for noise reasons, why do you want to?

It may be just as convenient and easier to set up to use an external drive solution if noise is not the main reason. At least you wouldn't have to muck around with the pin connector mismatches and altering your machine. Have you considered this?

#1174415 - 11/13/12 08:11 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Alice Offline
Space Cadet

Hi uptildawn,

Saw many posts of you already; super!

Well, the main reason for me is to get the tracks on my computer and edit them (with reaper for example). Indeed, there is no soundproblem from the harddrive. It works fine.

Maybe you know another wat to connect the vs880(ex)? Maybe midi out to usb??

Greets!

#1174457 - 11/13/12 11:59 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Alice]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Not really many other methods to getting your tracks from an 880ex to a pc.

1- Midi is used for control messages, etc. only.... no audio

2- Of course, you could re-record audio outs of the 880 through a pc soundcard into a software program like Reaper (I realize that's not what you want though).

3- There is, of course, the internal drive conversion route you are attempting. This works well for transfering VS songs directly to Reaper, as long as Reaper has the special .dll file created by Danielo installed in its plug-ins folder.... I'm sure you must have read a little on this method by now... if not, do a search of this and the 1680 and 2480 forums for more detail.

There may be a limitation with the internal SD/CF card method of the PC only seeing the first partition. I'm not sure anymore whether Reaper has this limitation, or VSWaveExport (VSWE) has it. This is one of the reasons I have stuck with an external SD/CF adapter method, since the PC can see four partitions of the external SCSI-produced VS songs. Maybe someone can correct me on this point..... and maybe I'll remember in the future. \:\)

4- There is VSWE, along with the (included) CD2Roland ripper plug-in, (created by bear). The ripper can recognize VS CD backup discs placed in your PC's cd drive and can copy the VS files to your PC's hard drive. VSWE can then be used to extract .wav file format of the tracks (VS TAKE files) to your PC, which can then be imported to a program such as Reaper..... which you probably already know.

5- Finally, there is the VirDis method, which includes (currently) a hardware PCI card for the SCSI connection to the VS and a software program that allows the VS to see your PC hard drive as an external SCSI virtual drive. This is an extremely good program for transfering VS Song files (in Song Copy Playable form) to the PC, like you might otherwise do with an external SCSI hard drive hooked up directly to the VS. You can also open its .hdd (or .bin) file and extract .wav files through VSWE as you would with the ripped files from a cd backup and CD2Roland.

Long ago, other methods have been used, tried and eventually abandoned for connecting the VS SCSI directly to a PC for various reasons..... but potentially, physically hazzardous to the VS, the PC, or both.

VSPro is another software program that has been succesfully used in conjunction with a VS, but not in the sense that you are after... more of a method to view and control the VS from a PC.

VirDis, by the way, is most completely used with a VS recorder that has the ability to import and export .wav files, like the 2480 is able to do. So, it's usefulness is somewhat limited with your 880ex (or my 1680, for example).

Edited by uptildawn (11/14/12 12:00 AM)

#1174547 - 11/14/12 08:32 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Alice Offline
Space Cadet

Hey utd,

I didn't know there were more options. I knew the VS880(ex) could be hooked up to a cd-rom/write drive, because another fried has a 1680 with it.

I think I'll try the third option and buy an adapter for sd. There is still a question lingering though; the one with the 52 (?) pin male connector where my hard-drive 52 (?) pin female connector fits. I can't find anything about the 52 pin connector on the internet. Seems to me that it doesn't exist...but it does in my vs880...So the real questions are:
- Have all vs880(ex) the same 52 pin connector
- is a 44 pin fe-male connector from the adapter (with seems to be the the universal one, sorry I'm not verry technical) compatibel with my 52 pin male connector on the inside of my vs880 (where the drive is put into)?

Maybe a link to the product that worked for you? Many thanx!!

#1174553 - 11/14/12 09:04 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Alice]
Alice Offline
Space Cadet

hmmm,

Maybe it's easier than I think. Maybe this post is the answer:

I'll try anyways...

#1174555 - 11/14/12 09:08 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Alice]
Alice Offline
Space Cadet

Sorry,

This is what post 1164165 says:

Originally Posted By: bear
I do not have experience with the 880

On the 1680 there is also a 50 pin header on the mother board that hooks up the IDE

On the 1680 50 pin connector, the first 40 pins are normal full size 3.5 inch IDE

The first 44 are normal 2.5 inch IDE - just adds +5 volts and grounds

The additional 6 are just duplicated +5 and ground

In the past on the 1680 I have hooked up normal 3.5 inch IDE drives and they worked just fine - you just need to figure out the power connector with +12, +5 and ground. And I took an old ribbon cable from a PC, took the connectors off it and modified the 50 pin ribbon to work for the 40 pins, just slit the cable and crimped it on the first 40

On the 1680 these voltages were available on a separate connector (unused on the motherboard)

I would make a guess something similar is going on in an 880, but as I say I do not know for sure.

#1174782 - 11/14/12 10:52 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Alice]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Ah.... well, in my case, I bought an SD-to-IDE adapter like this:

and connected it to the pin connector of the plastic hard drive caddy (after removing the hard drive from it first, of course), just as the hard drive had been connected. Then I simply plug the caddy back into the VS the way you'd normally put the hard drive back in its slot. No mess with modifying the machine, or matching odd pin connectors... except, maybe to bend or clip one of the pins on the adapter.... I don't recall at the moment.

Of course, it would work better still with a back loading SD card adapter like this one instead of the side-mount I have:

Except that in order to avoid extra cables, the back-loaded type would have to have bare pins (not enclosed in a sheath) out the back like the other one has.

Personally, I'd much rather do the least physical alterations to my VS machines as possible, so for me, this method of just replacing the hard drive in the caddy with and adapter for SD card, or doing the external mod. wins out every time.

Be aware that that external SD/CF card solution I mentioned may or may not be very cost effective. A ready-made box may cost you as much as buying the VirDis solution... around $200-300(US).
Even a home made version can set you back $150 easy today. This is largely because the most commonly used IDE/SCSI bridge card adapter (very essential) suddenly became very scarce on the used market about two to three years ago. A new one can easily cost over $100...... more like $150, or more.

This particular bridge card is made by Acard (the 7720U).

I know there was at least one other brand that people used to use, but I guess it must no longer be made because I could never seem to find one, new or used, back when I was searching. There may well be other bridge cards that can work, but the knowledge needed to determine what to look for is beyond my current understanding... although there are some people here who would certainly have a good idea (Bear, for one).

Edited by uptildawn (11/14/12 11:05 PM)

#1175067 - 11/15/12 07:57 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Loc: Riding Indiana Waves of Audio
Alice, this is what I used to replace my 880 EX HD with a sc card.

For the sc card adaptor = ($15.00 US)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-inch-44-Pin-Fe...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

For the cable = ($13.00 US)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-inch-44-Pin-Fe...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

For the card itself = ($7.00 US)
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Fl...+sd+memory+card

And to transfer tracks into my PC = ($13.00 US)
http://www.spytechs.com/video_accessories/sd-card-adaptor.htm

I have my adaptor hanging out of my 880 unit so I can quickly and easily record - then shut down the 880 - pull the card - plug it into my pc and transfer the tracks to reaper or etc. with the VSWE program that is easily downloaded off the web.

Many thanks to Bear for this killer adaption!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1175077 - 11/15/12 08:11 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: mrsinical]
Alice Offline
Space Cadet

Thanx to utd mrsinical (nice name...)!

I'm goning to try it!!

I will let you know how things are going!!

#1175090 - 11/15/12 08:49 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Alice]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Remember - if for some reason you can't get the "Transcend" sc card brand - there are only a couple of others the guys have had success with - (I forget which ones work and which ones don't)
#1175091 - 11/15/12 08:51 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Alice]
Alice Offline
Space Cadet

O, my (I wont swear) God. In the last post of utd he says he 'just replacing the hard drive in the caddy with and adapter for SD card, or doing the external mod'. And then it came to me that the caddy, with hd must have an 52 to 44 pin connector already. So I took the liberty of extracting the whole hd. And I got 4 screws, a silvery body, a black outer body, a cushen, a 52 to 44 pin connector and the hd (sorry I wanted to post a picture, but you need a website for that apparently...). So now I get it!

Why am I such a technopussy ;-(

#1175093 - 11/15/12 08:53 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: mrsinical]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

I had a bad (duplicate) link above.
Here is the adaptor =
http://www.amazon.com/44-Pin-Male-IDE-Card-Adapter/dp/B003MN1H9U

#1175099 - 11/15/12 09:04 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: mrsinical]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Right - you have to pull the HD out of the "case" and off the internal pin adaptor (THIS adaptor is NEEDED for the change over = to plug the cable into the 880 - so be careful with it!!)

Then, when you get your pieces (cable, adaptor & card) you plug the cable into the internal pin adaptor in the sliding case - slide the case into the 880 unit - (I put the screws back in) then plug the sc adaptor into the cable - then insert the card.

For each new card - you will have to tell the 880 to "Initialize" it as the "drive"

And - when extracting tracks from the sd card into your pc - dont open the sd / usb "drive" card itself with your PC - you download the vswe program, open it and it will find the 880 files - then you select the tracks and it will extract them as wave files on your pc.
If you mess with the files on the card directly on your pc WITHOUT using vswe - they will be corrupted and you will lose your work!!!! SO only use vswe to access the 880 sd card files!

Edited by mrsinical (11/15/12 09:09 PM)

#1175103 - 11/15/12 09:07 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: mrsinical]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

There is a single pin on the cable you will have to bend over out of the way when plugging into either the 880 internal adaptor OR the sd card adaptor - I forget which one and which exact pin. (there is a post about it in this thread)
#1175118 - 11/15/12 09:30 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: mrsinical]
Alice Offline
Space Cadet

Hi all,

Items have been bought.

Card:
http://www.conrad.nl/ce/nl/product/41300...earchDetail=005

Adapter:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/221082109865?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanx for all the help. I will keep you posted!

#1175239 - 11/16/12 03:05 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Alice]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Good card choice, Alice and sinical... works great for me.

Alice,
there's two methods being described here....
mrsinical describes one where you remove the hard drive, caddy and all and hook up an extension cable to connect your (new) adapter into.

My method, of removing the hard drive from the caddy (four screws, two on each side of the caddy), allows you to connect the adapter card into the pin connector on the caddy, directly in place of the hard drive.

Either method should work. Just be very careful. Watch out for static electric charge!

And be careful pluggin in the adapter, so as not to bend pins.

Also, be very certain of which of the pins you MUST bend over on the adapter card to get it out of the way so that it can plug into the female connector. There's only one that needs to be bent (or removed by twisting with needle-nose pliers works) and it's near impossible to bend it back straight, should you get the wrong one, without breaking it.

#1175361 - 11/16/12 03:19 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

UTD - I actually did the same thing you did - maybe I described it incorrectly...
#1175468 - 11/16/12 10:07 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

except I had no need of an extension cable, as mine doesn't lie outside of the case, but is connected directly to the caddy pins that the hard drive would normally be connected to.

Notice also the CF adapter. Along with the CF-to-SD adapter (not pictured), I prefer it because the card is backloaded instead of sideloaded, which is a real squeeze.

#1175630 - 11/17/12 01:43 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Gotchya! UTD.
That is perfect if you you don't need to transfer data off the card frequently.

#1175641 - 11/17/12 02:26 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Actually, it's perfect when you DO need to transfer data frequently. That's why I made it this way. It just takes a little effort to pull the SD card out sideways. And that's why I've also got the CF adapter now.

I just leave the cover plate screws and the two screws that secure the caddy off. The caddy has always fit snug and requires some little effort to pull it out and since there's no excessive noise, leaving the cover plate off doesn't hurt. I keep the machine covered when not in use, so dust accumulation is minimal as well.

Both methods work a lot better than having to pull the old hard drive out of the VS and install it in a PC and back again, that's for certain!

I like what you and a couple others did... that's how I got inspired to change mine up. Being a bit more lazy helped too. \:\)

Edited by uptildawn (11/17/12 02:27 PM)

#1175657 - 11/17/12 03:18 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

I'd be afraid of bending the pins on the internal (existing Roland) pin adaptor - by plugging / un-plugging frequently. I haven't looked, but I would imagine finding a replacement - internal pin adaptor will be difficult if not impossible.

Or, with your set up - can you plug / un-plug the card without pulling the entire tray out?

#1175682 - 11/17/12 05:45 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Since the caddy is on rails and you must be precise when inserting it into the rails, there's really no hassle. You can ruin just about anything if you're careless.

Yes, you could bend pins on the adapter itself by frequently, carelessly plugging and unplugging it from the caddy, but there's no reason to do that.

I've easily gotten in the habit of pushing gently, firmly and as straight as possible on the caddy face when installing the card from having done this with multiple hard drives long before I did the SD conversion.

If you've ever seen the VS with a hard drive inserted, you know that the caddy the hard drive is installed in must be inserted all the way into the unit in order to connect with its internal pin connector. So, yes, you must pull the caddy all the way out of the unit in order to remove/insert the SD card... It's not a big deal.

Edited by uptildawn (11/17/12 05:47 PM)

Page 8 of 12 « First<678910>Last »

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159869 Topics
1850865 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.037 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.