Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1193551 - 01/23/13 04:30 PM I'm in
MimeRifle Online   happy
World Citizen
Planeteer

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Well, well... from the "Have ya heard about the Lindberg baby?" file, I just became aware Reaper exists. All of the posting here made me curious. I've been using Sonar (1,2,5,6,8,X1) and frankly getting nothing done. I've been on hiatus a while from trying to write and record songs (most of my "songs" remain only song-parts, can't really call them songs) and I'm feeling the inspiration to get back on board and try to get over the creative hump that always seems to stand between me and completed "songs", regardless how many hours I play and tweak and fiddle and play and fiddle and tweak.

I thought a "clean slate" in terms of a reduced set of tools might be helpful. Actually, I realized a new version of Sonar is out and immediately I went "oooh! Shiny!!" and realized right there is at least half my problem. I am more infatuated with the nerd knobs and learning the sexy new features of the software (and searching for plugs, and figuring out how to turn my iPad into a wireless MIDI controller, etc. etc.) than I am, apparently, with writing music!

I was intrigued by the Reaper story. Checked out the website. Impressed with the mission. Impressed with the price! omg! That's a surprise! I think it's time to finally escape the vortex of Sonar upgrades ($99 upgrade here, $199 upgrade there) - beh. It's a cool program, but it has about 80% more capabilities in it than I need to record my favorite styles of music. I'm sure the same could be said for Reaper.

I installed Reaper on my work laptop (Shhh!! Please don't tell! But jeez, the thing has a faster CPU than my studio desktop and a 500gb drive, I couldn't resist!) and was amazed how small it is! Something just feels right about this.

I'm declaring myself "in" on Reaper. Would love to help out anyone else who wants to migrate from something else to this DAW. A little support from someone who's doing the same thing can be very helpful. I'm a quick study when it comes to software, I actually enjoy learning curves (thus the frequent unnecessary Sonar upgrades), so I may be able to help.

Likewise, maybe those who are interested in making this switch can light a fire under my lazy ass and challenge me to finish a song once in a while!! haha!!

Anyway - already the topics here have been helpful. I'm looking forward to getting my Sonar projects moved over and try once again to get into a creative groove.

Peace!

#1194497 - 01/27/13 01:40 AM Re: I'm in [Re: MimeRifle]
Monkeyfingers Offline
Planeteer

Loc: St. Charles, Illinois
Hey Mimerifle,
Your post seems to mirror my attitude towards recording... just when you think you're back, you're out! I've been recording on the 880EX and then the 2480HD for quite some time, but out of everything I have recorded, most of it is unfinished, and I want to move on to something else. Most of my music is still in my head, going around like a juke box, constantly, and then I feel "why should I record this song because I play it in my head all day long, and I feel like I've already recorded it."
So, I'm back in too (for now!)
I have a few projects remaining on my 2480 that I'm going to back-up, then reformat the hd, and start from scratch with NEW stuff.
But the hang-up comes with the slow processing of the 2480. I know it's going to be sloooooow, so I say, "forget it. Maybe tomorrow."
Well, it's tomorrow (again) but now I want to move my cd back-ups to the pc. I've read the threads (and posted a help me) but I must be missing something. I'm hoping you can help me, and maybe I can help you get back to your music as well. What do you think?

#1194506 - 01/27/13 02:44 AM Re: I'm in [Re: Monkeyfingers]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
Monkeyfingers - send me an email (look in profile) and I will send you the VSWE/REAPER VS conversion bundle that I KNOW is clean of any virus.

With it you can rip your VS backup CD and either directly convert to wav using the VSWE, or bring your VS songs into reaper using the reaper_vs.dll

#1200439 - 02/20/13 11:57 AM Re: I'm in [Re: bear]
RGR Offline
Planeteer

Loc: UK
Reaper is fun...it is the only daw I ever used after the 1880 .
All I have done is use the basics...but I can add send receives, I.individual plugs on takes, edit, et. Now.

I even got a midi track to play...

But I'm not editing midi yet.

I'd like to figure out how to set up a tempo map with.the metronome
And have it control the tempo of ez drummer patterns on a midi inst track. That's next.

I have to be in a creative mood to progress though...and that seems to be less so these days.

#1200575 - 02/21/13 12:01 AM Re: I'm in [Re: RGR]
agapeburt Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Griffin Ga
I went from the VS2480 to Audition, which I love as an editor, but was not ideal for multitrack. I tried a couple of things, but when I tried Reaper, it just clicked.
The nice price and the small size and low resource demands are just a plus, I like the way it works, and it is not a battle to try new things either.
Check out the tutorials, ask questions and get your butt recording.

Agape Audio Services just to pay for the toys
Owner Agape Computers to build the earthly home
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager @ First Assembly of God to build the Heavenly one

#1207606 - 03/27/13 06:23 PM Re: I'm in [Re: agapeburt]
Monkeyfingers Offline
Planeteer

Now that I have the VS Ripper working, and Reaper installed and running, what other hardware (or whatever) do I need in order to work on 2480 back-up CD's?

I'm happy recording on the 2480 but I'd like to edit on Reaper. I see people talking about RBUS (which I don't have), some other hardware between the 2480 and the PC, certain PC cards, etc.

I know I must be missing a simple concept with Reaper but I'm having a lot of difficulty with it. It doesn't seem to be as easy as editing on the 2480, which is exactly opposite of what I read in the forums.

I have the 2480, the VS Ripper program, and Reaper... that's it.

What other stuff do I need?

#1207628 - 03/27/13 08:23 PM Re: I'm in [Re: Monkeyfingers]
bear Offline
Planeteer

When you say you have the ripper, do you mean you have been successfully bringing VS songs into reaper?

What are you finding difficult in reaper? What are you trying to do that you cannot do or find hard?

As far as what you need - you probably should have a good audio interface for your PC that runs ASIO.. and monitors... and a good listening environment...

Beyond that there are million VST plugins you can use... you can find many really good ones for free.

If you wanted to bring audio in and out of the VS from the PC then a RBUS setup would be good, although if you don't mind being limited to just 2 tracks at a time SPDIF is perfectly fine.... or even analog (again if you have a good audio interface for the PC)

#1207928 - 03/28/13 11:29 PM Re: I'm in [Re: bear]
Monkeyfingers Offline
Planeteer

You sent me the ripper batch file and it works fine, and I've been bringing some VS songs into reaper. On the 2480 I can edit pretty fast but finding the cut, copy, paste, trim in/out, etc., is hard to find.

I have Realtec Wireless LAN PCI-E NIC. It came with the laptop. I don't know anything about ASIO, but I have good monitors, Roland DS-90's, and a good studio.

I'm wondering about actual physical equipment that I might need, other than the plugins. What do you get with RBUS? Can't I just use 1/4" cables?

I can bring in 16 tracks at once from the VS Ripper to the PC, but once those tracks are in as Reaper projects, that's where I seem to get bogged-down.

It probably comes down to just this question: Can I edit my VS songs with just the Reaper program and the laptop, or do I need special equipment hooked-up to the PC (other than plugins)?

#1207930 - 03/28/13 11:46 PM Re: I'm in [Re: Monkeyfingers]
bear Offline
Planeteer

After bringing in your tracks into reaper, you do not need anything else in the process of mixing down to a stereo final pair

As far as ediitng in reaper - dead simple

Place your cursor anywhere on a track

hit the S key to SPLIT at cursor - if you outside of tracks ALL tracks will be be split at that point

Then highlight any split out section by clicking on it. Use normal word processor key strokes - ctrlC to copy.. ctrlV to paste etc

Grap and split piece of a track and just drag it where you want it. Hold ctrl down as you drag to make a copy

Grap the end of any clip in a track and just drag it to extend it

Cross fades happen automatically if you want them to - you can turn them off...

You can set full automation curves for just about any parameter in any track...pan volume... etc etc

There are many many more key commands and functions you can use... pretty much anything you can think of is possible.... learn the basic clip manipulation above, and then start learning the rest a bit at a time as you need it.

Learn to RENDER to produce your final .wav files

ANYTHING you can do to a piece of recorded audio on a VS is possible - and usually MUCH easier, especially on the large screen possible on a PC.

AND you can mix in as many MIDI tracks as you like...

#1208022 - 03/29/13 06:08 PM Re: I'm in [Re: bear]
Monkeyfingers Offline
Planeteer

OK Bear, thanks for the tips. Maybe I was just reading too much into Reaper's uses. I suppose when I get more familiar with it, it will eventually click-in.

But the tips you mentioned, which, probably for you and many others, are so second- nature and automatic, like breathing, are to me a great discovery. I really do appreciate all your help.

Thank you, and everyone else, who helped me out.

#1208198 - 03/30/13 07:39 PM Re: I'm in [Re: Monkeyfingers]
agapeburt Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Griffin Ga
As for the VST plugins Bear was mentioning, learn the Reaper plugins first, they are really good, and will do most of what you need. There are a lot of freeware plugins that are just OK, with some stellar ones. Don't get bogged down into installing several hundred of them, I did that once and spent more time playing around and trying to find the best one than I did producing good material.

Agape Audio Services just to pay for the toys
Owner Agape Computers to build the earthly home
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager @ First Assembly of God to build the Heavenly one

#1209140 - 04/06/13 02:07 PM Re: I'm in [Re: bear]
Fenderbender Offline
VS-Planet Village Imbecile
Planeteer

Loc: Waterford,Ohio U.S.A.
 Originally Posted By: bear
Monkeyfingers - send me an email (look in profile) and I will send you the VSWE/REAPER VS conversion bundle that I KNOW is clean of any virus.

With it you can rip your VS backup CD and either directly convert to wav using the VSWE, or bring your VS songs into reaper using the reaper_vs.dll

Hey bear,could you send me that bundle? I'm making the move too and could use it.Thanks...
I'll pm my e-mail addy to you...eh,if'n that's ok.

#1210460 - 04/14/13 02:10 AM Re: I'm in [Re: Fenderbender]
Fenderbender Offline
VS-Planet Village Imbecile
Planeteer

Loc: Waterford,Ohio U.S.A.
just bought my license today and ordered an interface.
Should be here middle of next week.
Eh,just in case it matters ...

#1211403 - 04/18/13 10:16 PM Re: I'm in [Re: agapeburt]
Monkeyfingers Offline
Planeteer

Yeah, good advice. It's way too easy to get diverted from working on projects.

#1211404 - 04/18/13 10:18 PM Re: I'm in [Re: Fenderbender]
Monkeyfingers Offline
Planeteer

Which interface did you get?

#1547087 - 10/11/17 04:16 PM Re: I'm in [Re: bear]
Monkeyfingers Offline
Planeteer

Hey Bear,
I just found this old post. Will this VSWE/REAPER VS conversion bundle work with Windows 10?
Your second part deals with ripping the VS backup CD and either directly converting it to wav using the VSWE, or bring your VS songs into reaper using the reaper_vs.dll. After I successfully backed-up by song to cd from the 2480, I ran the cd2roland file from that cd, it successfully opened the files and showed a .zip file. I don't know where or if the .zip files opened or where they are.
Anyway, Reaper will not open the song, even though it shows song.vr1, or so. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159824 Topics
1850329 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.