Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#1003154 - 10/06/10 09:44 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
mqira Offline
Space Cadet

Does anyone know which version of reaper i would need to download in order to export my files off of 880EX, and where i would find this download.
Apperciate any help, Thanks!

#1015420 - 12/08/10 01:01 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
DanielT Offline
Space Cadet

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong spot to post this question.. but, I've managed to erase all songs on my vs-880 using the song erase function. Does anyone out there know of a way to get 'em back? Is there some sort of undo? any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
#1020592 - 01/03/11 09:03 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
rolandgp100 Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Romania
One of my VS880s can,t memorize the effects programs and the drive partition after one electric current breakdown when I have stored one song. Can I repair this??? What is Your advice???
#1028831 - 02/20/11 10:15 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
GGD Offline
Space Cadet

Hello and thanks for all you do.
I want to use my VS880 to submix my drums and output thru spidf to my firepod.
I can't seem to get the signal to register in Cubase, any thoughts?
Thanks
GGD

#1042431 - 05/08/11 09:03 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: FITZDT]
BrooklynEd Offline
Space Cadet

Re the "No CD-R Drive" message: I had the same problem with a VS-880 and an 880EX, and in both cases, I had the wrong level of system software on the machines. I don't have the exact software level number with me, but I'll dig it out of my "files" and get back to you. If memory serves, you can still download the software from the Roland US website directly into your VS. It's a bit of a pain, but well worth the trouble. Perhaps some of the other planeteers may know of an easier way.
Hope this helps!

Brooklyn Ed

#1182101 - 12/12/12 09:43 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
jackusde Offline
Space Cadet

thanks hook!

this is a great source..

#1194037 - 01/24/13 11:17 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: jackusde]
RonO Offline
Space Cadet

Hey folks !

Anyone know someone that could actually repair my old VS-880 ? It just refuses to boot up anymore but the power seems to be ok. It would be great to get it working again !

Thanx !

Ron O

#1194048 - 01/25/13 12:25 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: RonO]
Wish Administrator Online   content
🌴 VSP Moderator 🌵
Planeteer

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
It would probably be cheaper to just buy a working vs880 on eBay. Cheapest one I saw had a Buy It Now price of $95. They have not really held their value.

This could also be a sign that it's time to retire the vs and move on to something bigger and better!

\:p

#1194123 - 01/25/13 09:54 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Wish]
Jack_Nelson Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Out of interest, I've just arranged for an overhaul of my 880EX by a "Roland trained/appointed engineer" in the UK.
The switches under the transport buttons need replacing : these are still stock items apparently, as are the buttons that the user sees on top. A few of the pots are carbon'd up : maybe get away with cleaning, maybe not....
Might as well have a thorough service at the same time....Estimated cost = £60 ($95-ish US)
Perhaps possible in the States, but I doubt I could buy a working EX in the UK for anywhere near that...

#1194262 - 01/25/13 11:22 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Wish]
RonO Offline
Space Cadet

LOL ! Funny, just after I posted, I went to eBay to see what's available and how much and saw the one you mention, I'm sure. It was another $40 for shipping but that's typical.

I actually have moved on but there is some material I'd like to try and recover from both CD-R and the dreaded JAZ drive. When I was on the BigList email list, we did a Beatles comp (2000-ish I think ?) and I did a collaboration with 10 other musicians on the song "All You Need Is Love", which turned out pretty good considering none of us ever met face-to-face !

Anyway, I had 64 virtual tracks that made it to the final mix and I thought it would be cool to get those tracks again and try another re-mix.

I also loved the effects cards ! I wanted to mess with the vocoder one again !

I may go the eBay route...I may have to ! \:\)

Thanx for the replies, gents.

Good luck with your refurb !

#1195602 - 01/31/13 08:02 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: RonO]
Jack_Nelson Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
 Originally Posted By: RonO
Good luck with your refurb !

Well, I've taken the plunge and sent it off for the new switches and overhaul...it's all little stuff that's wrong, really.
For example, the status LED on one of the channels was dull in comparison to the others...some of the pots weren't as smooth as others due to carbon or use...
I'm looking forward to seeing it back in pristine order before too long - I'll let you know the result!

#1195884 - 02/01/13 02:06 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Jack_Nelson]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Brooklyn Park, MN
opps wrong thread

Edited by glennsimonds (02/01/13 02:07 PM)

VS PLANET RADIO

#1199253 - 02/14/13 10:22 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
dakisamo Offline
Space Cadet

hi mate do you know what i need to conect vs880 with my lap top so i can transfer songs in and oyt from the vs to pc thanks
#1199301 - 02/14/13 04:51 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: dakisamo]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Dakisamo, unfortunately, the answers you seek will be he same in each of your posts (the ones I've read this morning). We all have been going through what you're attempting to figure out and can feel what you might be thinking at this point (at least many of us).

Transfers of audio to a PC from the VS must be made via realtime playback/recording by either analog, or digital audio connections. Transfers of audio from the PC to the VS must be made in the same manner.

Transfers of VS Song data can be acheived through the use of some specially designed PC software and VS hardware adapters/conversions to go from and to the VS (to a degree). These include VirDis (hardware/software combination), VSWaveExport (VSWE), CD2Roland (cd data ripper also installed with VSWE) and the Reaper RDAC.dll, which is installed in the Reaper software DAW program to import VS Songs.

Welcome to the Planet, by the way!

Edited by uptildawn (02/14/13 04:52 PM)

#1201633 - 02/26/13 06:15 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
botys Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Italy
Hi Guys,
I'm new with multitrack recorder 'cuse I've done always everything with my PC. I'm going to buy a Roland VSR-880 because I need some back-up project to bring in my live shows, in case I experience troubles with my PC. I've changed after 5 years my notebook and my soundcard (MOTU Ultralight Hybrid mk3), and I don't wanna risk.

So...I need to know if there's a way to transfer audio tracks (format .wav 44.1 Khz and 16bit, o whatever compatible format for Roland) from PC to VSR-880. That's what I'm gonna do with the machine, I'm gonna use it like a multitrack player, importing the sequences of my album into the machine.
I've read about to use an external SCSI HD to import, but in 2013 it's very hard to find any kind of SCSI hardware, or to import with a SCSI CDRW (the guy who I'll buy the object from, has one on those); but I'm asking if there's an other way to import file for example directly into the HD of the machine.

Pls if anyone knows about this, answer me! I'm going mad since a week reading all kind of manuals of 20 kind of different multitrack recorders till deceide to buy this one!

#1201653 - 02/26/13 06:57 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: botys]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Sorry to inform you that there is no way to directly import .wav files to the VS from a PC, or any other form, such as CD-R.

Importing VS song data and converting it to .wav file format TO the PC is possible and that is probably what you have been reading about.

As useful as a VS is, it is not going to be your solution in this manner. Your only solution with a VS is to re-record the audio tracks from the PC output to the VS input, either analog, or digital, depending on your set-up.

#1201742 - 02/27/13 03:28 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: uptildawn]
botys Offline
Space Cadet

thanks so much, I figured out that when I was not able in days to find out a reasonable solution but I wanted to ask anyway in this forum that has such a great community with competent and helpful people! \m/
I admit that I lost the best of the years about technology, the machines of the 90's are really piece of jewellery compared to recent ones; I was forced to go back to 90's to find a machine with separated output or auxiliaries out PRE-fader!!! It's absurd! and to be honest, only Roland and Fostex give you this plenty of configuration!
I'm waiting to handle my Vs machine, it will arrive in days, and I hope the product to be as user friendly as possible. Rock bless Roland and 90's!

#1201749 - 02/27/13 03:51 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: botys]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I hope you really enjoy the VS and get many years of high-grade satisfaction from using it.

#1205833 - 03/16/13 06:34 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: uptildawn]
botys Offline
Space Cadet

Hi Guys, I've received the Roland VSR-880 and I started to use it and since I was scared about the max 10 GB of capacity, I was able to record 15 songs with 6/7 tracks each one, only in 1 GB of partition! Simply AWASOME! I guess I have other 8 partitions to continue to record what I want...do u confirm me that?
On second thought, I was wondering if there's a way to save time during the loading of the songs; in a live show I should select the song follow the procedure I found on the manual:

( press shift+song ---> dial Select Song-->press YES--->Are u sure--->press YES---> Save Current Song--> press NO if the song is already protected---> the loading starts )

with this method, the Roland ultimates the procedure in 15/20 seconds.
Is there a way to arrange the songs in a sort of playlist easily loadable from 1 button or something like that, saving time during the loading?
All kind of tips about this are well accepted!!! \:\)

#1205836 - 03/16/13 07:01 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: botys]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Sorry. There's only one proceedure to loading songs.... you're already doing it.

Make sure you establish some method of backing up your recordings to an external media of some sort before you end up loading down your hard drive and then not having any room left, or worse, find yourself with a corrupted drive, having it break down, or otherwise causing you to lose a lot of precious projects.

Although you can achieve many hours of recording time by using the LIV recording modes (not saying you are now), consider using the recording modes that give you the most tracks AND the best quality possible. I don't recall if the 880ex has MTP mode (a 24 bit mode), at least use the default mode, MT2 and MT1, or maybe MAS mode. I never found the MAS mode to be that advantageous, so tended to stay with the MT modes. If you have MTP, then I highly recommend using it.

Also, record at 44.1k sample rate for the most flexible/universal usage mode..... 48k mode can not be downsampled for audio cd from within the VS unit and must be re-recorded to an external device through the analog outputs if an audio cd is the final destination of your recordings.

If for some reason, you want to use the VS to play a playlist of songs, then your best bet is to create a single Song File for the songs, then import the mixed two-track songs from your multi-track recordings into the playlist song file. From there, you can arrange the songs in the order you like and use markers to locate the start point of each song, controlling the start and stop of playback manually from the transport buttons, or from a footswitch set to start/stop playback. You can import your songs from other VS song files with Track Export and Import proceedures (left and right channels are done one track at a time), or through the use of Song Split and Song Combine proceedures.... You'll have to read up on and run some tests on the proceedures to feel confident about what results you get before you commit your finished songs, since you could mess them up otherwise....... at least make a song copy playable of a finished song and test using the copy to safeguard your treasures.

Hope this helps you get some ideas going.

#1205874 - 03/17/13 01:02 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: uptildawn]
botys Offline
Space Cadet

thanks uptil for the quick reply, u're precious here! I guess that I'm going to use an other partition where to record in only 1 song, all tracks of the songs from cubase and then I'll use markers and maybe leaving empty space of 3 seconds between songs so I can use markers and the footswitch pedal in play/stop mode. At least for the show this should be useful; just one more question...How many markers I can use for a single song? because If I'm going to record a playlist of 15 songs from Cubase to only 1 in the VSR-880, I'll need 13 markers to move between the songs.

#1205900 - 03/17/13 05:19 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: botys]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Starting on pg 36 of the pdf owner's manual, 32 locators and 1,000 markers per song. The 1,000 markers includes automix and cd markers, I believe.....

In case you should be inclined to start investigation automix (by all means do!), limit your use of gradation-style automation to maximize the number of markers you have in any given song..... but I can tell you from experience that it takes an awfull lot of automation to reach the 1,000 marker limit.

Go to rolandus.com, or whatever site is easiest for you and rummage through their support documents for the .pdf manuals if you haven't already. They're very helpful, even if not the easiest to understand, or the best written.

#1219437 - 05/29/13 09:59 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
Ditchbug Offline
Space Cadet

I have an 880ex and have recorded a song (on 4 tracks). I want to get the song onto my mac and maybe edit it in GarageBand.

I presumed that I could plug the "Speaker out" lines directly into the mic jack on my mac (through a Y connector), and record the audio using something like QuickTime audio recorder. No such luck. It doesn't work.

Any suggestions about what I'm doing wrong, or need to do differently to get a song off the 880 and into my mac?

Thanks in advance....

#1219477 - 05/30/13 12:17 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Ditchbug]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

1st of all, you'll do yourself a world of good by re-posting your question in a new thread, using a subject that goes directly to your question, instead of posting a technical issue question an a thread about 88EX FAQs.

2nd'ly - using one of the line out pairs - monitor, or main, or even the headphone out in a pinch - you should be able to plug into a line-level jack on your computer (with a proper stereo Y, or a stereo-to-mono Y, depending on your computer's input configuration) to send audio into the machine.

There could be numerous reasons why it doesn't work in your case, but likely centered around your PC's configuration.

Re-post your question to its own thread and include more specifics about how exactly you are set up to record and I'm sure you will get plenty of helpful suggestions.

#1219701 - 05/30/13 07:44 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: uptildawn]
Ditchbug Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks for the suggestion. Will do. Sorry for the breach of etiquette.

D

#1219706 - 05/30/13 08:32 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Ditchbug]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Not a problem..... but look how old this thread is.

#1270411 - 01/07/14 12:52 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Loc: California
Hook is right-it would cost more to repair than replace. The bottom has dropped out on these units in the last couple of years. I suspect it's because you can get a Zoom R8 for about $250.

If you've got your heart set on staying with the VS units, you might want to consider upgrading to a VS 890. It's the same as the VS 880EX only better because it's 24 bit instead of 20 bit. They are going on ebay for about $100.

#1272903 - 01/18/14 10:32 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
cortson Offline
Space Cadet

I have all of the manuals and more docs for the VS-800 and EX printed and in a binder. I sold all my Rolands. If you a great hard copy of everything email me at mike@mikecortson.com
#1354543 - 12/16/14 02:58 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Hook]
MBK Offline
Space Cadet

More power to Hook!!! New here:)

Just bought a VS 880EX used for around $170. Replaced HD with a Seagate 80 gigger ( 4 gig max I know:) ) 5400 rpm.... No drive spin noise....zero....I'm gonna try the IDE to SD conversion someday when this drive fails...Anyway it's good that a place like this exists!! I have yet to climb the VS learning curve and reading the posts here have helped me install my new HD. Thanks Hook!! The machine actually runs!! I will be hanging out here to learn more about the VS. When I was young...I used to dream of owning a VS 880, but I couldn't afford one. Now after all these years its a dream come true;) I am experienced in PC recording...but there is something about the Roland VS that lures one into recording with it....it's impossible to resist;)A piece of recording history that still actually works!! See you guys at the forums;)

#1508558 - 12/13/16 08:49 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: MBK]
pete peterson Offline
Artist # 181
Planeteer

Loc: vancouver washington usa
Two years since an entry? this seems wrong

OOp's looked at the wrong date line, or not

Edited by pete peterson (12/13/16 08:55 PM)

#1508618 - 12/14/16 02:44 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: pete peterson]
Wish Administrator Online   content
🌴 VSP Moderator 🌵
Planeteer

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Yep...2 years.

Time flies when you are having fun, eh?

#1510446 - 12/23/16 05:59 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: Wish]
HRogers Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Florida
I've got a question....I've have 2-Roland VS880EX never burned a cd or had a cd burner until now I use to make cassette tapes off the rca outputs but never cd's. I picked up a Plextor 12/10/32 read write burner the other day but neither unit reconize it. Is there something I need to do beside connecting the scsi cable to the 880 & plextor? Only one unit gives me the option to choose cd burner under the list to choose song or new song & so on. The other unit just ask to backup data. I know they are old but they still work and I like using them. Thanks Harold
#1510454 - 12/23/16 06:37 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: HRogers]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Can you remove the outer case of the burner and tell us what model Plextor you are using? It appears it may be the PX-W1210TS, but I'd like to know for certain.... Very few external cd burners will work with the VS recorder series as data backup and recovery devices.

Can you tell us exactly which os version each VS unit has installed?
1- Press and hold down the track and status buttons for channel one
2- at the same time turn the VS on, using the power switch (not from standby mode)
3- When the display shows it, you will see a version number 2.013, or earlier - a whole number, decimal point, followed by THREE digits. The normal power on display only shows two decimal places...... you need to see all three. Tell us what the os is on both machines. It will/can make a big difference.

I am confused by your comments about what the two units are letting you do with the cd burner.

Do both units recognize the burner?.... if so, my earlier questions are not as critical, possibly, but it still would help us to know what you're working with.

When you scroll through the list of options, after the burner has been recognized by the VS, what burner-related options are you seeing from each VS - exactly?..... the whole list of available burner options, please..... even though it's a bit tedious.

Your comments are puzzling and not easy to understand what you are seeing.

If the VS recognizes the burner and if backup/recovery is available, then certainly burning audio CDs must also be available..... and vice versa.

Have you consulted the manual to discover exactly which menus contain which burner options? I don't believe they are all in the same menu (if memory serves).

#1510457 - 12/23/16 07:24 AM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: uptildawn]
HRogers Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Florida
Neither one of my VS units reconize the plextor I get a message saying (No CD Drive)
I'll see if I can get the info off the plextor tomorrow.
I talked to some others about the plextor and someone told me to make sure it was set on what I call channel (4) and the VS should be on (7) they also told me to make sure the terminator switch was set to on, I don't know if it has that option I'll look and see. I may need to buy one and connect.
Thank you for your response
Harold

#1510476 - 12/23/16 03:01 PM Re: VS-880EX FAQs [Re: HRogers]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Be sure to get the complete version numbers of both VS machines.
If neither one recognizes the burner, but the burner is one considered compatible with the VS, then it's quite possible that your VS units need to have the os updated to the last one made available by Roland.

The scsi id (the channel in your words) can be anything available except id 7 - that is the default for the VS and should stay there.

Some burners have a built-in terminator - some have an external switch, some with the switch may not have wires connecting it to the inner circuits, some have an internal jumper, some simply do not have built in termination.

Even if you have a visible terminator switch, if it happens to not be functional, then you will certainly need to get a terminator block. A passive block is perfectly suitable for this need (active is unnecessary and more expensive), but you also need one that has the correct pin connector to match your burner's connectors (or at least the correct adapter in addition to the terminator).

Passive terminator blocks are pretty inexpensive, but mostly only available online these days, unless you know of a local source that happens to still have scsi equipment for sale - a computer liquidator may have, but even that is becoming a scarcity lately.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159766 Topics
1849752 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.