Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#1200751 - 02/21/13 09:19 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
Ok - my local board shop was way too expensive and I was about to give up on it, but I found an online discount PCB fab shop that gave me a reasonable price -

I have boards on order with 10 day turn so should be seeing them first week of March or something... In the meantime I will order parts to build up about 20 and a KAPTON solder paste mask to try to do "toaster oven" assembly...

If anyone wants to assemble them their selves, I will sell them blank PCB also...

When I get some built up and tested I will figure out a price and announce they are for sale... rough estimate is it is going to be between 75 and 100 dollars though.

#1200754 - 02/21/13 09:24 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
Artean Offline
Planeteer

Good news indeed!

Now I just got to find myself a used 2480 in Sweden for a fair price...

#1200756 - 02/21/13 09:39 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Loc: the Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: bear
If anyone wants to assemble them their selves, I will sell them blank PCB also...

Thanks for keeping the ball rolling on this!

Depending on price I'd be interested in 2 blank PCBs, do you have a rough estimate on these ?

Thanks & best regards

--------------------

#1200773 - 02/21/13 10:16 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: Ptr]
bear Offline
Planeteer

I do not know what shipping is to Netherlands, or if there is any customs duty bullshit etc... but bare boards will be $18 each + whatever shipping is... These are small enough I can just send as a postal letter I think.

You should let me build one up first to make sure the design is OK...

#1200783 - 02/21/13 10:27 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

PM'd

--------------------

#1200898 - 02/22/13 01:45 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
Artean Offline
Planeteer

Ok - my local board shop was way too expensive and I was about to give up on it, but I found an online discount PCB fab shop that gave me a reasonable price -

I have boards on order with 10 day turn so should be seeing them first week of March or something... In the meantime I will order parts to build up about 20 and a KAPTON solder paste mask to try to do "toaster oven" assembly...

When I get some built up and tested I will figure out a price and announce they are for sale... rough estimate is it is going to be between 75 and 100 dollars though.

Is this with both ADAT in and out?

#1200937 - 02/22/13 04:34 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: Artean]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Yes it has ADAT TOSLINK to RBUS 8in and 8out at 44.1k or 48k. Choice of RBUS or ADAT Receive being clock master, and 24bit depth

The MIDI signals from the RBUS are pinned out to a terminal block, but because of space restrictions, if you want to use these you will need to provide another board that will have the opto isolator and the DIN jacks to make it a true MIDI port.

MOST RBUS devices supply 5V on pin1 of the DB25 interface - as long as this is the case the unit will derive it's power from it - a FEW RBUS devices - notably the SI-24 do not - you will need to provide an external 5V supply to use it with these. Additional pins on the terminal block allow external power input if needed.

#1200970 - 02/22/13 06:52 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
Artean Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for your answer, it sounds good.
#1204979 - 03/13/13 05:34 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: Artean]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Hi,

FWIW, I think of skipping a minimal box for this, however convenient it would be to stick a simple small thing at the rear of the VS(R)-machine.

Thinking of the HDD-hassle in the past (the skipping 2.5" HDD of the Roland in noisy environments),
the thought came up to make this RBUS/ADAT-adapter-box an ADAT-lightpipe splitter as well.

This makes hooking up a backup-recorder easy. The Fostex HDDs (with ADAT-I/O I've used previously
are way more sturdy, but the types I've used do 16-bit only, otherwise the VS-gear might have
been a vague recollection I must admit...

... but there's something that remains attractive, despite the VS-stuff is a bit ehh,
difficult w.r.t. interfacing & too many shift-button requirements...

Back on topic:

Such a split can be easy: just connecting a second optical transmitter at a good point
after the incoming optical receiver.

Just a thought...

--------------------

#1204990 - 03/13/13 06:14 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: Ptr]
bear Offline
Planeteer

I don't think I really understood what you trying to say there Ptr...

I guess the gist of it is you want a opto ADAT splitter that sends whatever is coming in on the ADAT out of a second ADAT port. I am not real sure I really understand the use case for this...

Could be done I guess.. although my current design is too far along to incorporate such a thing.

#1205307 - 03/14/13 11:29 AM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Hi,

Quote:
I guess the gist of it is you want a opto ADAT splitter that sends whatever is coming in on the ADAT out of a second ADAT port. I am not real sure I really understand the use case for this...

That's the idea.
Use case is to have a direct easy connection possibility for a backup-recorder (I have some 16 bit Fostex machines that directly accept ADAT).
I guess I've had too many halted recordings with the VS-machines, due to the HDD & loud environments. Shouldn't happen anymore after SD-card conversion, but still: just adding one opto-out & perhaps a buffer in between does the trick here already.

Quote:
Could be done I guess.. although my current design is too far along to incorporate such a thing.

Not meant to spoil your compact nice PCB with additional stuff! ... just something that might be convenient one day.

Regards

--------------------

#1205330 - 03/14/13 03:04 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: Ptr]
bear Offline
Planeteer

The thing I would worry about is clock jitter buildup.

The Wavefront receiver IC has a very sophisticated PLL re-clock internally of the optical data received to eliminate any pulse distortion in the incoming optical stream..

If you were to just resend it out another optical transmitter, any distortion in the received stuff would just pass on, and any that the new resend causes would just add to it.

It might be fine... but I think a better way to do it would be to use a whole new wavefront transmit IC tapped into the output of the receiver - these chips only cost 4 or 5 dollars.

#1205374 - 03/14/13 05:42 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

Loc: Canada
I’m wondering if this device you’re working on can be retrofitted into the V-Fire box? I have a few spares kicking around.

Hmmmm…. I’m interested.

You want me to do WHAT with THAT?

#1205381 - 03/14/13 05:57 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: BearM]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Don't know how the VFire firewire interface works... but it is basically something completely different. Don't really know how RBUS to ADAT would help you.

If I was a betting man, and knowing something about other cheap firewire interfaces I bet they use a Bridgeco IC to do the firewire...

#1205392 - 03/14/13 07:19 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

Loc: Canada
I was thinking more of “not” using the firewire at all (I haven’t used it since moving away from 32 bit). But rather rewiring from the Rbus connection forward with your device. Installing an Adat/Toslink plug on the back and… Another wire harness will just get damaged or lost in the mess of other wire harness’s I have kicking around.

The point is, unless someone is going to write drivers for Windows 7 at 64 bit, the V-Fire is only good for 32 bit setups. That’s a shame really since most of us have these units sitting in the box collecting dist. But the V-Fire is a pretty rugged box that can easily be modified and house different innards (like what you are building) and suddenly the V-Fire takes on a whole new life. Doesn’t matter to me if it ports firewire channels or Adat channels. But we know one is no longer supported and the other should be around for a long time. So why not use the box and anything else useable inside to do the same intended function, but different? You can make stickers and call it the “bear-dat”… ha ha!

I’m still interested….

You want me to do WHAT with THAT?

#1205840 - 03/16/13 07:43 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: BearM]
bnwitt Offline
Planeteer

Loc: SoCal
Bear,
I am definitely interested in purchasing two of these.

Barry

Edited by bnwitt (03/16/13 08:14 PM)

#1206061 - 03/18/13 02:17 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

The thing I would worry about is clock jitter buildup.

The Wavefront receiver IC has a very sophisticated PLL re-clock internally of the optical data received to eliminate any pulse distortion in the incoming optical stream..

If you were to just resend it out another optical transmitter, any distortion in the received stuff would just pass on, and any that the new resend causes would just add to it.

It might be fine... but I think a better way to do it would be to use a whole new wavefront transmit IC tapped into the output of the receiver - these chips only cost 4 or 5 dollars.

Hello,

I fully agree, just adding an additional (electrical buffered) optical output isn't the best approach.
Since it's just meant for a quick & dirty backup possibility to a second recorder I want to keep the addition simple
(I know myself a bit, fancy things take a bit longer, but the simple ones make a chance to get finished ;-) )

Adding an additional Wavefront chip as you mentioned sure more elegant, will keep that in mind to add when I find that I use
the 'aux opto output' a lot.

Best regards

--------------------

#1225085 - 06/21/13 01:32 AM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: Ptr]
houseofshem Offline
Space Cadet

Hi Bear! How are you all! I have my VS2480 just sitting around doing nothing im hopiung to bring it back into my set up!

I just scored a LUCID88192 8 x 8 Converter its Adat in and out too. And i use Pro Tools / Logic etc.

How can i incoperate the VS2480 into the set up? i currently dont use any mixer so am thinking using the Roland. Plus i want to be able to bring all my old projects of the Roland! How can i make this happen

Thank you

#1225165 - 06/21/13 12:34 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: houseofshem]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Well my RBUS ADAT adapter would have allowed you to hook the 2480 up to the lucid... but I am not sure how that makes an interface into protools....

But it is a moot point - they are all built and sold... I have a few blank PCBs left but would have to order a bunch of parts to build anymore, which I really do not have any plans to do...

If you want a similar hookup you will need to find a Roland DIF-AT somewhere.

#1226184 - 06/25/13 06:33 AM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: Ptr]
WinyardPro Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Great Southern Land.
 Originally Posted By: Ptr
Cable would be a normal D25 NOT a special RBUS cable - the schematic already crosses over the necessary wires on the RBUS port.

That sounds good. Was wondering what normal DB25 cable does w.r.t. grounding/screening. Twisted pairs as well ? (without the crossing) Won't be too critical I guess, for shorter distance.

It remains tempting though to construct this as a plug-on (without cable) at the rear of the VSR-880 (that's all I own & will own VS-wise), there's nothing above the RBUS connector, so a little box less than 2RU would fit - not as universal, but good for my setup.

I have one of these.

I'm testing the SCSI with VirDIS.

WINYARD-PRODUCTIONS.COM

#1241044 - 09/03/13 06:24 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
JC1 Offline
Space Cadet

Hi,
If you put more of these together, I'd be interested in one.
Or, can I get a blank board/schematic/partslist from you or a partially assembled one with whatever parts you may have and I would source the rest?

If anyone has one they no longer need and would like to sell, please let me know.

BTW-trying to get a DIF-AT interface working with a VM3100PRO without success. Anyone in North Jersey (USA) with R-Bus gear I can test the interface with?

Thanks,
JC

#1241056 - 09/03/13 06:58 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: JC1]
bear Offline
Planeteer

I will not be making any more, but I do have a few blank boards, a few DB25 connectors and a couple of other parts left if you want to order your own parts and build your own.

It is some very small soldering - 0402 parts. Would not advise trying it if you do not have a microscope and experience in building with small SMT stuff like this.

What problems are you having with the VM3100 and DIF-AT? It should work fine.

Setting up routing on the VM3100 can be a pain in th butt...and you will have to get clocking set up correctly...

#1241111 - 09/03/13 10:16 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
JC1 Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks for your response.
When I connect the interface to the mixer, it lights up with TDIF and ADAT lights both on constant. I do not get the MTR menu Level Meter>F1-F4 on>F3 so I can't get to the ADAT/TDIF settings menu. Will not sync to RMDB clock- drops back to internal.
Feeding ADAT in from Focusrite Octopre@44.1KHZ, also tried with RME Digiface, ADAT I/O with ADAT sync cable connected.

Mixer firmware updated to 1.055 over MIDI just fine.
Mixer mode set to DIF-AT Shift/F4 Standalone mode, not RPC-1 mode.
Diagnostics- CH4-7 power up:
11: RMDB check
UART=NG; interesting, see below for more on this.
All other tests pass.

CH 6-9/10 power up- update interface firmware over MIDI:
1:not support; (?)don't know what this menu item is.
2:not support; this is supposed to show the interface firmware
3: RMDB <> MIDI update; run update files, but no result from the interface, as I don't think the mixer is communicating with it. Scoped MIDI data line and MIDI is going out thru R-BUS connector.

Before I updated the mixer firmware, no response at all and the TDIF/ADAT lights both on full.
After updating mixer firmware I began to get "R-BUS buffer full" message on 3100 and not able to access any mixer functions. Power down, disconnect interface, mixer normal. Sometimes it would clear on it's own, but return with error message again. Have used the mixer since trying to set this up and it works fine on it's own.

Problem is, I can't determine if it's the interface or mixer, or both, or just a firmware compatibility issue. Can't get access to any other R-BUS device to check mixer and interface and update interface firmware as would be possible with a VM7100/7200 or VS2480.

With all the info here, I was able to scope the R-BUS data lines:
getting clock and MIDI out of 3100.
Data lines DO1-DO4. After power up, sometimes there's pulses on all or some of the lines, sometimes nothing.

I see nothing coming out of the DIF-AT which may or may not mean anything. Just for laughs, I tried to create a loopback test by feeding the mixer R-Bus output lines back to the input lines. RMDB clock tried really hard to sync, but finally gave up. ( makes sense now that I think about it because a device usually can't sync to itself externally) Still no DIF menu, but DIAGNOSTICS SHOWED UART=OK. I know there's inverters involved, but I didn't work thru the logic to determine if just wiring it back would be compatible. Also, I guess the mixer really can't sync or recognize itself as an interface, but hey, I did see some results that makes me think the mixer is OK.

This is probably more than you bargained for, but I've tried to be thorough.
As far as building a board, I've done some pretty fine soldering, used to fix my own PDA and cell phones ( DATA and power connector stuff) not micro SMT, but it is getting harder to do. Have soldered in 1/10W SMT resistors and some ICs with .050 spacing. It's tedious.

Appreciate any assistance you have to offer. Just trying to diagnose this problem without spending hundreds of $s. I could buy another mixer or interface or both, but as a tech, I would really like to know what the problem is and apply the correct solution.

Thanks,
JC

#1241113 - 09/03/13 10:50 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: JC1]
bear Offline
Planeteer

I do not have a DIF-AT.

I know the second generation DIF-AT (the 24bit one) is very simple inside - just uses standard ADAT interface ICs... same as I used on my adapter board. I have a schematic diagram of it

I have a schematic diagram of a VS2480 showing the RBUS port - the VM3100 RBUS port is identical as far as I know

The first generation one (20 bit) I have less info on, but I THINK it was much more complicated using Xilinx FPGAS etc.

The second gen one would be a piece of cake to troubleshoot with a scope - the first gen one (if it built the way I suspect) would be really difficult.

It sounds like you have scope and know how to use it? I could make you some scope plots of what the RBUS signals from a VM3100 are supposed to look like I suppose...

They are pretty straight forward -

A LRCLK running at 44.1 or 48 on pin 18. The right channel samples are active during the high portion of this and the left channel during the low

The audio channels OUT of rbus are stereo so 4 of them... 1+2 on pin2 3+4 on pin3 5+6 on pin4 and 7+8 on pin6

LRCLK IN on pin21 and it MUST ALWAYS be supplied with LRCLK - even if the rbus is internally generating the clock the signal must be fed back into the pin21

Signals are inverted on the rbus through 74HC14 buffers

Sample data is left justified 24 bit at a 64x LRCLK rate --- i.e occupy the first 24 slots of 32 possible slots in each phase of the LRCLK

#1241115 - 09/03/13 10:57 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
bear Offline
Planeteer

And yes, you should easily be able to loopback the RBUS

Set the clock to internal on the VM3100 so it is sourced on pin 18

Then loopback clock OUT on pin 18 to clock IN on pin 21

Audio OUT 1+2 on pin 2 to 1+2 IN on pin 12
Audio OUT 3+4 on pin 3 to 3+4 IN on pin 11
Audio OUT 5+6 on pin 4 to 5+6 IN on pin 10
Audio OUT 7+8 on pin 6 to 7+8 IN on pin 8

#1241119 - 09/03/13 11:00 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
bear Offline
Planeteer

And I would start with a complete init of the VM3100 mixer back to factory... it can get into all kind of weird states if I recall...
#1241168 - 09/04/13 01:35 AM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
JC1 Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks,
I did try a full init., but I will try again.
I will try the loopback test again. Do I just wire jumpers across on a DB25 connector, or do I have to invert them?

I did take a peek inside the box and yes, I believe there was a Xilinx chip. There was an Alesis ADAT IC, quite a few others and the TDIF I/O was on a daughter board, but I think it was just drivers and buffers on it. The data lines went directly to the Alesis chip. Clock and MIDI went somewhere else.

I have the option of returning the interface so I think I'll just do that while I can and try to get another one. I won't be able to play with this for a few days, maybe later tonight, so I may get back to you next week if I make any progress.

Trying to see if anyone has used a DIF-AT24 or your card with a 3100, or does it need to see more than that. It must do a little bit of initial communicating to recognize the interface, report back the firmware and enable the MTR menu as well change settings in the DIF-AT, correct? So are the data lines just carrying digital audio, like AES and communication is achieved over the MIDI I/O?

BTW- I did have another R-BUS cable to try, so it isn't that and I checked inside the 3100 to make sure there was no loose ribbons, cold solders or bad crimps. Everything looked good. R-BUS comes off the FX expander board and goes to an interface board with the buffers/inverters at the back of the mixer with the DB25.

Thanks again.
JC

#1241293 - 09/04/13 02:35 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: JC1]
bear Offline
Planeteer

No you do not need to invert to make a loopback. Just connect wires. There are inverters on both the outs and the ins on the internal port so they cancel out.

Yes I have tried my adapter with a VM3100 - my adapter is very very similar to the 24 bit second version of the DIF-AT - and it worked no problem.

I really do not know what you mean with all the MTR menu and changing settings in the DIF-AT - there is nothing to change...just route signals in and out of the RBUS within the menus of the VM3100 and it should pop out the ADAT port of the DIF-AT

Nor do i know what MIDI has to do with anything, it just carries.... midi.... Control surface signals and such... but has absolutely nothing to do with sending audio over the RBUS.

#1241309 - 09/04/13 04:22 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
JC1 Offline
Space Cadet

The MTR menu( I assume means Multitrack) supposedly becomes enabled and appears after a DIF-AT interface is connected, where you can go in select settings for TDIF, ADAT, ADAT sync, etc.
So I only assume since no settings are necessary for the DIF-AT24 scheme, the menu is not required and does not need to be enabled.

I'm also going out on a limb and assuming if the data lines only carry digital audio signals, the DIF-AT is communicated with via MIDI, probably as sysex, in order to make settings within the interface.

Thanks for confirming the loopback wiring. I'll give it a try.

JC

#1241322 - 09/04/13 06:01 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: JC1]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Ah I see - the DIF-AT 20 bit version appears to be a really different box then the 24 bit version

I have no experience with it.

The 24 bit version in no way controls anything with midi or anything else -- all it has is a mechnaical switch to choose the clock source as ADAT or RBUS --- and it does not even have a TDIF port. This may be why the older one is much more complicated to control

#1241512 - 09/05/13 06:07 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: bear]
wailinfree Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Maryland
I can attest to this as well
I have one and bears adat and they both work without midi

VS2480

#1241657 - 09/06/13 05:57 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: wailinfree]
Kentchorder Offline
Space Cadet

Hello,

here I have 2 cards from Bear we bought few months ago, but never use them, and now we had to invest to DAW upgrade so no use for these in future. So if anybody interested I will sell them for same price Bear sold it to us, they are still in original packaging.

Let me know!

#1241682 - 09/06/13 07:54 PM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: Kentchorder]
Frank Griffith Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 300
Planeteer

Loc: "All Be Quirky", NM
Kentchorder,
If you get no responce here, maybe run a seperate post, some folks were looking for these just the other day.
VS2480DVD,3-VS8F-2/1-VS8F-3 & 5 plugins+Auto-Tune,MassHiRes EQ,UA Bundle,Chrometone,Soundblender/TC Reverb,T-Racks.Dyns BM5A's,Roland DS50A's,M-Audio 2.1,PreSonus TubePre w/Rode NT1000,SM57&58,MXL V57&V67,B-5,XV5050,Yamaha P200,Oxygen8 V2,Behring V-amps,SansAmp DI, Taylor,Gibsons,Fender,Ric,Washburn Bass.2 RPC-1's,PC Sonar 4, Acid 5, Wavelab etc.

#1242133 - 09/09/13 01:09 AM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: Frank Griffith]
Kentchorder Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks for suggestion, but one member already bought one, so one more left but I put to classifieds too.

Have a great day!

-------------

Quick edit -> all cards sold thx

-------------

Edited by Kentchorder (09/11/13 04:28 AM)

#1242480 - 09/10/13 06:04 AM Re: RBUS ADAT convertor [Re: Kentchorder]
JC1 Offline
Space Cadet

FYI- loopback test successful, so I feel confident the R-BUS interface on the mixer is working as it should.

Getting a converter board from Kentchorder ( thanks Kent) and looking forward to successfully expanding this VM3100.

BTW- wired up the test connector with just the data and clock lines. Tested OK, but the R-Bus diagnostics showed UART=NG. Then wired the MIDI pins and diagnostic showed UART=OK, so the UART diagnostic tests the R-Bus MIDI I/O.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159870 Topics
1850874 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.