Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1270312 - 01/06/14 08:02 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: moontan]
SkyWave Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: moontan
one could argue that an advanced civilization would be using something more sophisticated that radio signals for communication.

Or, one could more reasonably conclude, that the rest of the universe is subject to the same law of physics as in this solar system and that any civilization advanced enough to know about Earth and get here would also know about the entire electromagnetic radiation spectrum, which includes radio waves.

Basically, the UFO believers have just taken the God the Invisible Sky Father myth and transferred it to space aliens, more invisible gods from the sky. Concepts of a juvenile psyche more interested in childish distraction than creating a decent, just and sustainable world here.

#1270313 - 01/06/14 08:14 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: SkyWave]
SkyWave Offline
Planeteer

Unlike the rest of you, apparently, I have been at the Nazca lines. I have flown over them and photographed them and walked them; I have sat through lectures at the university at Cuzco about the Nazca liens and who made them and what their purpose was; and interviewed Peruvian scholars and shamans about the lines. It is not this big woo-woo pace mystery. The Nazca built the lines and had their own purposes. No assistance from space aliens was needed to build Machu Picchu, the Inca Road or the Nazca liens. Or the wondrous ruins throughout Meso-America.

And it is Peruvians who lay the charge of racism, from whom I first heard it when studying the lines in Peru. If you travel to Peru and Nazca and talk to the people and scholars there involved with the lines, they are the ones who complain bitterly about the racism of the white folks who assume that the native American Nazcan people could not have made the lines and that they must have been made by space aliens instead. The brown-skinned Peruvians know that these assumptions are racist. How do you think a Peruvian parent feels, one who wants to show the marvels of their country top their children, who wants their children to be proud of what their ancestors were able to build, only to be told that the Nazcans were too stupid to construct these lines and that space aliens must have built them.

But rather than examine the racism implicit in your assumptions that space aliens built the Nazca lines, you choose instead to attack me and go into, as racists tend to do, total denial.

#1270314 - 01/06/14 08:17 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: GAMBLE]
slotz Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Colleyville, Tx
 Originally Posted By: GAMBLE
Skywave.....there is a section here called "political". It's also where the crazys hang out. Seriously....you're a couple beers short of a six pack and to you everything is political and rascist....even when you make no fucking sense and are being absurd.

It's the perfect place for a wackaloon like you.

Since I will never return to the sewer, I'll say it here....She is one fucked up human being.

Good lord....

#1270316 - 01/06/14 08:24 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: slotz]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Loc: Rhode Island
Honestly?

She sounds like my Daughter. Is that you Lisa?

If I text or used to text to my Daughter and said something like hey man that's cool? It makes me a Womanizer calling her a man..........Huh? \:D

#1270318 - 01/06/14 08:25 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: SteveW]
GAMBLE Offline
Planeteer

Is your daughter hot?
#1270319 - 01/06/14 08:27 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: GAMBLE]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Now how the Hell would I know if my Daughter was hot?

#1270320 - 01/06/14 08:28 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: SteveW]
GAMBLE Offline
Planeteer

Good answer.....it was a trick question.

You pass.

Unfortunately it also means the answer is no.

Trick answer.

#1270322 - 01/06/14 08:41 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: SkyWave]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Walmartville
 Originally Posted By: SkyWave
one could argue that an advanced civilization would be using something more sophisticated that radio signals for communication.

Or, one could more reasonably conclude, that the rest of the universe is subject to the same law of physics as in this solar system and that any civilization advanced enough to know about Earth and get here would also know about the entire electromagnetic radiation spectrum, which includes radio waves.

Basically, the UFO believers have just taken the God the Invisible Sky Father myth and transferred it to space aliens, more invisible gods from the sky. Concepts of a juvenile psyche more interested in childish distraction than creating a decent, just and sustainable world here.

I'd think that a hippie like you would be more open minded. You'd feel differently if you ever had any experiences of high strangeness but obviously the aliens have steered clear of you cause they're afraid you'd stereotype them like you do most other factions of beings. \:D

#1270323 - 01/06/14 08:43 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: SkyWave]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Unlike the rest of you, apparently, I have been at the Nazca lines. I have flown over them and photographed them and walked them; I have sat through lectures at the university at Cuzco about the Nazca liens and who made them and what their purpose was; and interviewed Peruvian scholars and shamans about the lines. It is not this big woo-woo pace mystery. The Nazca built the lines and had their own purposes. No assistance from space aliens was needed to build Machu Picchu, the Inca Road or the Nazca liens. Or the wondrous ruins throughout Meso-America.

And it is Peruvians who lay the charge of racism, from whom I first heard it when studying the lines in Peru. If you travel to Peru and Nazca and talk to the people and scholars there involved with the lines, they are the ones who complain bitterly about the racism of the white folks who assume that the native American Nazcan people could not have made the lines and that they must have been made by space aliens instead. The brown-skinned Peruvians know that these assumptions are racist. How do you think a Peruvian parent feels, one who wants to show the marvels of their country top their children, who wants their children to be proud of what their ancestors were able to build, only to be told that the Nazcans were too stupid to construct these lines and that space aliens must have built them.

But rather than examine the racism implicit in your assumptions that space aliens built the Nazca lines, you choose instead to attack me and go into, as racists tend to do, total denial.

You obviously have no clue what you're examining. I'm examining your comments here and it's clear you have a strong disposition to label people, ultimately making you look like a simpleton.

#1270327 - 01/06/14 08:49 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: AL]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
One thing we know for sure is that they weren't made by girls. Everybody knows that girls are dumb.

#1270334 - 01/06/14 08:55 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: AL]
SkyWave Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Al
I'd think that a hippie like you would be more open minded. You'd feel differently if you ever had any experiences of high strangeness but obviously the aliens have steered clear of you cause they're afraid you'd stereotype them like you do most other factions of beings. \:D

I have had experiences of high strangeness, including ones that were not drug-induced. However, I have some educational background in science, which is inter alia a method of determining truths and laws about reality by a process of observation and experimentation and testing hypotheses. And so, when confronted by a strange or seemingly inexplicable phenomenon, my first reaction is not to attribute it to space aliens or some supernatural cause, but to look for possible explanations that comport with what we know of the laws of the physical universe. One who has a serious commitment to truth is not prone to making up imaginative stories of ghosts and gods and aliens as being the cause of earthly phenomena.

The reality is that there is no credible or hard evidence of the existence of space aliens, all the talk is mere speculation. However, the argument that the universe is huge and likely contains many planets capable of sustaining life and that life must have arisen elsewhere is a reasonable one. Even if life exists elsewhere, the likelihood that they could fund Earth life or get here is doubtful, given interstellar distances and numerous other obstacles.

Carl Sagan believed in life elsewhere and acknowledged that our radio telescopes and other instrumentation were picking up nothing but silence. Sagan's idea was that any civilization that would be advanced enough to get here would have destroyed themselves before they could --- he seemed to think that as beings got higher technologies, the technologies would ultimately story them. Earthmen seem to be playing out that scenario.

#1270352 - 01/06/14 09:34 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: SkyWave]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

so tell us about your experiences of high strangeness. They must not have been that strange or you wouldn't have been able to come to such satisfied conclusions about them.

#1270368 - 01/06/14 10:50 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: SkyWave]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
I have been to the Nazca Desert, walked the desert, seen and photographed the lines from the air and took a short course on the lines from the university in Cuzco, Peru.

Is there anything you haven't done? \:\)

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1270369 - 01/06/14 10:53 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: MadGuitrst]
GAMBLE Offline
Planeteer

Seriously.....skywave is more full of shit than me.
#1270381 - 01/06/14 11:18 PM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: GAMBLE]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

haha not quite. \:\)

#1270406 - 01/07/14 12:30 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: AL]
slotz Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Colleyville, Tx
Yes...quite

#1270413 - 01/07/14 12:57 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: slotz]
Vanillagrits Offline
Planeteer

Skyhole doesn't always drink beer, but when she does..............
#1270414 - 01/07/14 01:07 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: Vanillagrits]
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Just to be fair here Skywave's remarks about explaining away achievements done long ago has a racist component isn't new. Here is a small example of how this comes about.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/mysteries-of-great-zimbabwe.html

#1270416 - 01/07/14 01:18 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: Ismellelephant]
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

A bit more
"Despite criticism from the scientific establishment, including famed scientist Carl Sagan, the ancient astronaut and lost civilization hypothesis remains popular. According to Omni (1994:77) "One of Sagan's original objections was the underlying assumption that our ancestors were apparently too stupid to create the monumental architecture of our past." And indeed, this is the theme that cuts across all the diffusionist ideas about the origins of Mesoamerican civilization. Each of these authors argues that the Mesoamericans were incapable of creating a unique, vital and exciting civilization on their own, and that they needed outside agents to help them overcome their mental handicaps.

This view is not only wrong, it is also racist. It is racist whether it comes from supporters of the Caucasian refugees of a lost continent (see Hancock 1995:102-104) or the Afrocentrists who see Africans as the superior race (see Haslip-Viera et al. 1997:420). What these belief systems fail to understand is that humanity has no biological determinism, that intelligence and the ability to create and to understand are not characteristics belonging to races, but individuals (Jurmain et al. 1998:109). Mesoamericans had a long tradition of civilization and culture before the Spanish conquest, and no attempt to rewrite history can deny the ancient peoples of Mexico their cultural heritage. "

#1270421 - 01/07/14 01:30 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: Ismellelephant]
havlicek Offline
Planeteer

Loc: East Hampton, NY
 Originally Posted By: Ismellelephant
A bit more
"Despite criticism from the scientific establishment, including famed scientist Carl Sagan, the ancient astronaut and lost civilization hypothesis remains popular. According to Omni (1994:77) "One of Sagan's original objections was the underlying assumption that our ancestors were apparently too stupid to create the monumental architecture of our past." And indeed, this is the theme that cuts across all the diffusionist ideas about the origins of Mesoamerican civilization. Each of these authors argues that the Mesoamericans were incapable of creating a unique, vital and exciting civilization on their own, and that they needed outside agents to help them overcome their mental handicaps.

This view is not only wrong, it is also racist. It is racist whether it comes from supporters of the Caucasian refugees of a lost continent (see Hancock 1995:102-104) or the Afrocentrists who see Africans as the superior race (see Haslip-Viera et al. 1997:420). What these belief systems fail to understand is that humanity has no biological determinism, that intelligence and the ability to create and to understand are not characteristics belonging to races, but individuals (Jurmain et al. 1998:109). Mesoamericans had a long tradition of civilization and culture before the Spanish conquest, and no attempt to rewrite history can deny the ancient peoples of Mexico their cultural heritage. "

An awful lot of PC horseshit parading as enlightenment right there. Assume for a moment that, instead of being racists, people who necessarily see alien intervention in the great accomplishments of the past just have a lack of imagination...or even a lack of understanding of what can be accomplished without technological advantages. Ascribing racism to all this is utter ass-leakage; dripping, stinking intellectual diarhea. This is the go-to position for idiots...why?, because the tag is so damaging and so difficult to get out from underneath, it's an argument-ender even when there's no substance to the claim. Now morons everywhere resort to calling just about anything racist. It works and it's a whole lot easier than having an original thought.

-john

-John Havlicek (from "How To Spot An Internet Idiot", © 2012)

#1270428 - 01/07/14 02:06 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: havlicek]
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

In your usual gifted asshole way you fail to understand that this is nothing new, that was the point of what I posted. You really are disturbed. This thread probably should be moved to protect the delicate, lol.

#1270432 - 01/07/14 02:22 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: MadGuitrst]
SkyWave Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: MadGuitrst
Is there anything you haven't done? \:\)

Silly question. Of course, there are many things. I have never killed, or been part of a military or parachuted from a plane, nor dived for pearls, nor have I been to India, and I still have a huge bucket list of things remaining to be done. Everyone here has done a lot of stuff, as have I. Nothing really unusual, I decided quite young that I did not want an ordinary boring same-same life, that I wanted a colorful and interesting life and with travel and that what I chose to create.

You all can think this is BS, but you will be wrong. The Nazca Lines are there, you can go see them as well and see how easily thee iron-rich crust can be broken to reveal the whiter sand underneath.

And it appears that Mr. Ismellelephant actually gets that racism underlies the assumption of white moderns that pre-Spanish Peruvians and Meso-Americans could not have built the monuments of their cultures, but had to have intervention by space aliens.

#1270433 - 01/07/14 02:30 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: AL]
GAMBLE Offline
Planeteer

Stupid fucking lines.

#1270439 - 01/07/14 02:43 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: GAMBLE]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Ha ha ha ha!

No of course they made the lines duh.

The why was/is the question. I don't see anyone here saying they were stupid cause they were not but....

Some other things like moving 300 ton rocks and welding them together thousands of years ago to that I say yes they had help from someone out there.

#1270444 - 01/07/14 02:59 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: havlicek]
moontan Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Sol III
 Originally Posted By: havlicek
Well, it's refreshing to see you refer to common sense anyway...even if you haven't a clue about what it is! Maybe dream about being someone who actually knows what he's talking about, instead of inventing qualifications eh? There goes another internet idiot...sleep tight \:D

-john

you're out of your league junior.
your superior tone and overbearing attitude are unwarranted, especially considering you can't think your way out of a phuckin paper-bag.

if you had bothered to read the link i posted you would have a clue.
here it is again:
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/jan/27/aliens-cant-hear-us-astronomer

i'm done with you.
not only are you an idiot, you also are unwilling to learn.
you're also making me waste my time.

buh-bye now! \:p
lol

#1270445 - 01/07/14 03:07 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: SkyWave]
moontan Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

so?

what's the point you are trying to make here?

read the phuckin link here below, for the 3rd-4th times.
it explains why we have not been able to detect alien civilizations.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/jan/27/aliens-cant-hear-us-astronomer

#1270446 - 01/07/14 03:09 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: moontan]
GAMBLE Offline
Planeteer

Bitches be crazy?

#1270447 - 01/07/14 03:10 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: GAMBLE]
moontan Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: GAMBLE

Bitches be crazy?

oh, shush. lol

#1270448 - 01/07/14 03:10 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: moontan]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Just because Smelly posted some article like that, doesn't mean he believes that it's the case here. I don't think he's that dumb, really, now.

#1270451 - 01/07/14 03:15 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: AL]
moontan Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Al
Just because Smelly posted some article like that, doesn't mean he believes that it's the case here. I don't think he's that dumb, really, now.

right you are.
i think he was just posting an article showing that other people beside Skywave believe in that crap.

personally, i think the racist angle is totally ludicrous, but that's me.

#1270453 - 01/07/14 03:17 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: moontan]
GAMBLE Offline
Planeteer

Nobody believes in space niggers.
#1270454 - 01/07/14 03:19 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: GAMBLE]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

That's inappropriate Gamble

#1270455 - 01/07/14 03:21 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: SteveW]
moontan Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: SteveW
That's inappropriate Gamble

not his fault.

i edited my post, which he quoted.

it was supposed to be a joke, but i don't think you folks would've enjoyed.

so....

uh, where were we?

ah yeah, UFOs. lol

#1270456 - 01/07/14 03:22 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: moontan]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Tsk tsk

#1270457 - 01/07/14 03:23 AM Re: Nazca Lines [Re: SteveW]
GAMBLE Offline
Planeteer

My bad. Extraterrestrial Americans.
Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159858 Topics
1850669 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.