Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1307128 - 06/06/14 11:24 PM Mix fire sale
Popmann Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
If you've got anything you need me to mix...make contact ASAP...I'm calling this a day. Selling the studio off. Shingle getting taken down....Obviously, I'll keep whatever I need as a recording artist...but, that ain't much...

Likely calling it end of month--make the book keeping easier.

you can PM or email me at Langsongs AT yahoo DOT com.

Edited by Popmann (06/06/14 11:25 PM)
Edit Reason: cleaning up

#1307132 - 06/06/14 11:30 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Popmann]
DAGtunes Offline
Planeteer

Loc: San Clemente, CA
You do great work. Perhaps transition over to "live event" mixing, and production work for film/TV in your town. More money in that game...

That's basically what Motown does.

Mixing music for release/sale is a hard row to hoe, being that there is no money in it from the artist side. (Selling CD's, etc...)

Best of luck, in whatever you pursue next, and thanks again for the work you did for me. \:\)

#1307134 - 06/06/14 11:39 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: DAGtunes]
Duckhead Offline
Planeteer

Loc: n Load!
What a bummer Pop!! Hope everything works out! \:\(
Never let an electrical engineer near a telescope or an astronomy book. They may end up correcting the astronomy book!

#1307141 - 06/07/14 12:33 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Duckhead]
Alan Offline
Member of the DNA (National Dyslexic Association)
Planeteer

Loc: Sauchie, Scotland, UK
Ocht! - I hope you fall on yer feet and things pick up soon Bro!

YouTube - Soundcloud - Facebook

#1307143 - 06/07/14 12:38 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Alan]
Jazzooo Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico ...
Sorry to hear it, or congratulations, whichever is most appropriate, Jamie. Were you advertising for clients online?

#1307151 - 06/07/14 01:10 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Jazzooo]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
Good Luck Jamie --- you got the skills for anything "musical"

I started doing more video // live music with the VS -- I had my good 30 years , of tracking artist.

#1307161 - 06/07/14 03:10 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: C Jo Go]
JazAddict Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The West Coast of Florida
Why? No income? Bored?

#1307168 - 06/07/14 03:32 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: JazAddict]
Popmann Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

Not enough work to pay the bills. Simple as that. No interest in doing it as a hobby.
#1307177 - 06/07/14 03:53 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Popmann]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, IL
Uh, how much for a 5db boost at 6khz? Narrow Q cheaper than wide Q, I would hope?

Sorry to hear dude.

But why shut down entirely? Can't do projects as they come along?

#1307178 - 06/07/14 03:58 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: ulank]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

http://youtu.be/Se1-2Gkvko0

#1307179 - 06/07/14 04:12 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: ulank]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

No gear for sale ??

Doubt you have one of these :: Elysia filter equalizer

Make our mastering that much easier > hard to find used ...

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (06/07/14 04:17 AM)

#1307186 - 06/07/14 06:33 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: C Jo Go]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Sorry to hear, man. I'm impressed with your work

#1307189 - 06/07/14 06:39 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Xenophile]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Commanda, Ontario Canada
Bummer Pop. Will you be available for consultation (for a fee of course)?

Never mind, Just give me a B and I'll flatten it myself.

Andy on SoundCloud

#1307267 - 06/07/14 05:50 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Andy McClelland]
TAPKAE Offline
The Artist Presently Known As Ed
Planeteer

Loc: Trumplandia Acres, Shithole US...

All things TAPKAE

Stuff in progress, odds and ends

#1307272 - 06/07/14 06:17 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: TAPKAE]
Jazzooo Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico ...
What will you keep as an artist?

#1307276 - 06/07/14 06:19 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Jazzooo]
Chimp Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Overland Park
This is sad - you are one talented SOB. I am sure Al is happy about it tho.

#1307278 - 06/07/14 06:22 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Chimp]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Brooklyn Park, MN
i am sorry to hear a another talented mixer is taking down the shingle

VS PLANET RADIO

#1307325 - 06/07/14 10:17 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Jazzooo]
Popmann Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Jazzooo
What will you keep as an artist?

I've been working for some time to get to achieve what I've called being "digital agnostic"...the tracks on these last couple tunes...excepting the drums, which I didn't track...I mostly pushed up the fader and panned it. So, with my mics and my little rack of 2x2 non proprietary SPDIF IO...I could track to what the fuck ever digital thing and get roughly the same sound. So, "the studio" will look like a little rack next to my keyboard--maybe with a monitor/key/mouse above it.

#1307327 - 06/07/14 11:23 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Popmann]
TwoTonCarmine Offline
Planeteer

Music has little value anymore which translates into little chance to make a living from it. Ring tones have more value, it is just the way it is. Good or bad one thing is constant, things change.

#1307337 - 06/08/14 12:51 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Chimp]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Walmartville
 Originally Posted By: Chimp
This is sad - you are one talented SOB. I am sure Al is happy about it tho.

That's a stupid comment. Stop being so stupid, Chimp. Stop being a stupid chimp.

"I am only in this forum to ridicule you" - BmC

#1307339 - 06/08/14 12:58 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: AL]
Doughboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Gaylord, MI
Sorry Pops.....hope everything works out well for you though.

http://www.reverbnation.com/GregPillsbury

#1307422 - 06/08/14 05:28 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Doughboy]
Waterman Offline
Artist # 435
Planeteer

Loc: Atlantic Beach, Florida
Best of luck Jamie! As said earlier "you got skills"!

Tough to make a living playing music period!

Pete

#1307493 - 06/08/14 11:48 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Waterman]
Bobkat Offline
Planeteer

Loc: St. Marys,Ontario,Canada
All the best Jamie,the music business is crazy sometimes.You are a very talented engineer and musician!
#1307513 - 06/09/14 01:55 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Bobkat]
JimmyT Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Snellville, GA, US
Sorry to hear it Jamie. You do very good work.

Just curious...what are your fire sale rates?

My CD Releases
From Horses to Highways - Suburban Blues
Seven Shades of Blue
VSP Artist page here

#1307534 - 06/09/14 04:21 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: JimmyT]
Popmann Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

Well, each project is a little different....in terms of time requirements...but, if we make an assumption that it's a Planeteer in long standing, not Lurker2014, and that we've been somewhat "classic" with our track count/organization (ie, no one's sending 100 track 12min opuses with 30 tracks of guitars to sort through)...I think it's safe to say $100/song get it mixed...within the limitations of the month. By the time that Paypal and the IRS takes it's chunk, that's not far removed from min wage. Which is why this isn't really open to lurkers...or any other site...I just wanted to give anyone here the opportunity before the window closes.
#1307541 - 06/09/14 05:54 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Popmann]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

wow, what an opportunity. Indies don't sell squat but you expect them to spend $100 for a Popmann mix ?! and that's a sale! Hey you might get $8 back on your investment if you're lucky. Sounds like an indie exploitation scam to me.

well I'm sure there's some sucka here to take you up on it. Look at all the prestige involved. heh

hey folks, I'll do one for 89.95 and throw in a guitar solo. \:D

#1307546 - 06/09/14 08:41 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Popmann
Well, each project is a little different....in terms of time requirements...but, if we make an assumption that it's a Planeteer in long standing, not Lurker2014, and that we've been somewhat "classic" with our track count/organization (ie, no one's sending 100 track 12min opuses with 30 tracks of guitars to sort through)...I think it's safe to say $100/song get it mixed...within the limitations of the month. By the time that Paypal and the IRS takes it's chunk, that's not far removed from min wage. Which is why this isn't really open to lurkers...or any other site...I just wanted to give anyone here the opportunity before the window closes.

Great deal POP ~!! --- If it wouldn't take me weeks to try and figure out how to collect 24 tracks of the VS and 16 tracks of midi stuff .. on to DVD somehow > I would differently take you up on the offer.

#1307554 - 06/09/14 11:31 AM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Popmann]
havlicek Offline
Planeteer

Loc: East Hampton, NY
 Originally Posted By: Popmann

That's a stupid-cheap deal from someone who has proven they can actually mix.

-john

-John Havlicek (from "How To Spot An Internet Idiot", © 2012)

#1307557 - 06/09/14 12:05 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: havlicek]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

It's a ripoff to indie artists who won't get the money back.

#1307572 - 06/09/14 01:48 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: AL]
havlicek Offline
Planeteer

Loc: East Hampton, NY
 Originally Posted By: Al
It's a ripoff to indie artists who won't get the money back.

A (not surprisingly) stupid remark meant to undermine someone's ability to make a livlihood...which takes it to an even lower level. How much do "indie" artists spend on things like CD duplication and merchandising (T-shirts, pins, bumper stickers etc.), musical and recording equipment in furtherance of their aspirations? Are all of those ripoffs too? For reasons that should be obvious to even AL, having the actual music as well done as possible is more important than the others.

Here's a clue that I only offer because it's clear that the entire recording/mixing process is a mystery to Al. Many people can do a decent job of tracking. Getting fairly clean recordings of most instruments and vocals is far less difficult than mixing. Considering what's involved (from initial track organization in Pop's DAW, to supplemental editing...little tidbits he feels need to be cleaned-up and/or otherwise addressed...running a basic static mix with any EQ and effects, and then automation, final rendering and whatever file format conversion he may supply as an end-product (.wav, MP3), conforming the mix to industry standards, $100 is (as I said) stupid cheap. ***All of that doesn't begin to figure ancillary costs like amortization of equipment, time spent for communicating and/or consulting, consumables and possibly even things like paying for any web services related to the work.

***Whether or not it's "worth it" for any one person is besides the point. That person could be (for example) a tone deaf dork living in fantasy land who hasn't a snowball's chance in hell as an artist, but that's neither here nor there.

By calling Pop's work...and the little he's charging a ripoff, you're not only screwing with his "wallet", which is amazingly uncool, even for a complete dick like you Al, you're also jumping in to a thread that has nothing whatsoever to do with you to insult him. ***This from a guy that feels insulted by Chimp simply mentioning the fact that you feel the need to say this or that sucks all the time (and that people have lousy taste as in the Pat Benatar, Journey and Styx threads).

Again, why you are "tolerated" here is a mystery.

-john

PS, there is also such a thing as paying for the value of the person's work. When someone spends a lot of time perfecting a craft...mixing, carpentry, dog grooming, cooking, that in and of itself is part of what that person's services are "worth". Pop has a track record that, at least here, people are aware of. For all these reasons a mix by Al (such as your "joke" offer) would have less than zero value. A "complimentary guitar solo" would put it's value even lower.

-John Havlicek (from "How To Spot An Internet Idiot", © 2012)

#1307581 - 06/09/14 02:32 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: havlicek]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

So, Al, if I pay a couple hundred bones to get my stuff mastered - at my own choosing - am I getting, uh, ripped off?

What about the disc makers of the world? That cost me good money and I'm pretty sure my projects didn't cover those costs.

#1307597 - 06/09/14 03:46 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: havlicek]
Popmann Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

This is another example of how little AL knows about how anything works in the music biz....and how frankly...is the combination of ignorance AND low IQ--fucking idiot? It that the scientific term for that combo?

He's not wrong that 99.9% of all music label or otherwise ends up with boxes of CDs in warehouses or attics respective to which way it's financed. Except he doesn't know that about label releases. He thinks that's an indie "issue". You know-labels were horrible and useless, not that I have any idea what they do. Sad and unfortunately typical.

I have tried before to have discussions about how we make this work going forward--production of a record costs money. Period. If we, as a community, can't figure out how to recoup min wage....when we'd rather sink hundreds into drum software and upgrades than drummers...we truly will wind up in an amateur only music world. Which has been your goal all along, AL--Everytime we've engaged about ANY way for indie artists to make money, you've shit all over the principle. So, much so that I've simply stopped. You've shown your true colors. You don't dislike me....you dislike the mingling of commerce with music....you live a world of delusion that the music you hold so dear wasn't the direct result of that. You're not interested in how we as musicians move into this new reality...you're an anarchist who just wants amateur hour, where your brand of garbage is better tolerated.

#1307607 - 06/09/14 04:31 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Popmann]
Tao Jones Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CA
Well here's how it works with me if I have you do one song I would have you do the whole album so it all goes together well. 12 songs would then be $1200. for that money I could buy other gear that would make my next albums and this album better. You are trying to appeal to a crowd of do it yourself types. We went down this road to figure how we could have freedom to do these things without worrying so much about the cost.
Home recording type of people are by nature always trying to cut out extra people that cost. Your services would work very well for people who don't want to record themselves. Therefore a home studio taking artists from the ground up is still somewhat viable, but selling services to people who already have home Studios is a much harder lift.
The one time I went to an outside studio to try to mix one of my albums, after a couple days I realized my money would be better spent buying some of the tools I saw him using on my music. I also realized I would keep asking for changes that would make him have to work much longer than he should for the money he quoted as a price for song. You say $100 per song now, but you have never worked with me on something like this enough to realize I could send things back 10 or 20 times until I got what I thought was right and that would be way too much to ask you to do for $100.
My tendency would be to do what I did with this other guy: pay you for the song and say thank you before you spend too much time on it and then go and remix it myself rather than drive you crazy.
To use your talents to their fullest I think $100 per song is much too little compared to what I would probably have you do so I don't even want to start. If I were a richer man things would be much different, but almost by definition we home recording types are not that rich and are willing to do the work ourselves to save the money.

#1307609 - 06/09/14 04:35 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Tao Jones]
Tao Jones Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CA
This guy is a very talented engineer with a very good studio and he was asking $100 per song too, but I know he was probably used to spending less time on a song than what I was going to need for me to like the end result. And I wasn't going to hold him to his $100 offer when I knew I would be making him work way too many hours for that price.
#1307610 - 06/09/14 04:46 PM Re: Mix fire sale [Re: Tao Jones]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

Tough for a poor musician to make money off poor musicians.

Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »

Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 56 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
fabulousthunderbird
RGR
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
String Jammer
Xenophile
Dave Morris
T57Strat
slotz
GAMBLE
Jammer
Liquidirt
SteveW
JazAddict
motown59
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
160024 Topics
1853252 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.