Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#1311053 - 06/20/14 11:38 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: bear]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/485/downloads
Version 1.015 is the one you need for sure. Version 1.5 only added support for the version 3 FX cards. As with the 1680, if you're not using v3 FX cards, no need for the 1.5 update.
I suppose it never hurts to download it and save it to your PC for some point in time when you may decide you need that v3 FX card.

Also, download and use the SMF tool to make it easy to update the 1880 directly from the PC (or mac) version of the update. The instructions are pretty straightforward, but you can always ask if you get hung up. You'll need a single midi cable between the VS and PC and a midi connection on the computer - many people use a simple usb-to-midi adapter... there seems to be some adapters that don't work, although nobody's pinned it down to specific adapters, or price that I know of.

Of course, if you have a zip setup already working with the VS and PC, you could always download the zip version.

Edited by uptildawn (06/20/14 11:40 PM)

#1311131 - 06/21/14 02:42 AM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: bear]
rikusan Offline
Planeteer

that's what i thought, but just wanted to be sure
thanks

#1311147 - 06/21/14 03:54 AM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: uptildawn]
rikusan Offline
Planeteer

oh
mine is at 1.01
guess i will mess with OS versions....

#1311163 - 06/21/14 06:15 AM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: rikusan]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

You may be at 1.015 already!
You can check the ACTUAL version by holding down the Track and Status buttons for channel 1, while powering up the VS with the power switch on back of the unit at the same time. Hold the pair of buttons down until a screen comes up on the display that shows you the version.

The actual version is a whole number, a decimal point and THREE digits after the decimal.

Don't just MESS with the os versions........ there's no way for you to revert back to what you have on there now (if it's earlier than 1.015), should you need to.... since Roland stopped supplying links to earlier versions..... not that you'd necessarily want to. Version 1.015 is proven.

#1311442 - 06/22/14 02:49 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: uptildawn]
rikusan Offline
Planeteer

haha. i combed through old posts about changing the OS, somehow you clarified the probablility that i was already on 1.015. well, it was fun reloading the OS about a jillion times. my machine always said 1.01, and i wondered about the truncated thing. at any friggin rate, i got the right OS on now, need to reload the songs, and give er a whirl. if no changes, it will be time for screen shots, as if you guys are chompin at the bit to see those !!
#1314536 - 07/07/14 02:57 AM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: bear]
rikusan Offline
Planeteer

sorry for taking so long...today i recorded some test songs, copied them to the CF and loaded them into Reaper. now i have four songs Reaper is seeing, so i think i am finally making progress. mysteries still not figured out: i never knew what OS i had, i do know i have the proper OS now. i do not know why the songs already on my HD are not ever gonna work when i copy them over to a CF card.
the four songs i can access are all newly recorded. but the 70 or so other songs on the CF are not obtainable by Reaper.
not gonna worry bout it. i will begin with fresh tunes and go from there.
thanks again for being my wailing wall

#1314541 - 07/07/14 03:07 AM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: rikusan]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I'd hang onto the CF with the 70+ songs....... You never know when you'll discover what the issue is that's keeping you from getting them. Post some new and more detailed info about your setup and the process you've seen as you try to access them and maybe we'll also be able to help unlock the code. \:\)

Glad you're making good progress now!

#1314558 - 07/07/14 04:36 AM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: uptildawn]
rikusan Offline
Planeteer

yes, the CF is a back up to the HDD. still working out the details on by backup operation...i will keep you posted as i move along...
again
thanks a lot for your help

#1316404 - 07/15/14 08:35 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: rikusan]
TreeDragon7 Offline
Planeteer

any good eq comp or mastering plugins for reaper that seem to help the VS sound in particular ?
#1329084 - 09/11/14 11:07 AM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: bear]
europa_man Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Latest update: I've been successfully loading tracks from the VS to Reaper but experiencing problems along the way. Once the tracks are loaded into Reaper they would play fine. After editing the tracks the and closing the file, the tracks would not play when opened a 2nd time. Everything was there in Reaper but No sound? You always blame the problem on yourself first. I went out & got a great deal on a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 interface. I thought my sound card was acting up. To make a long story short (the problem was not the sound card) I found that the first thing you should do after opening up a VS-Song in Reaper is to "render" all tracks as stems (wave files) & save to the hard drive. I've spend a lot of time editing tracks & when I opened the files again - they would not play? I just want to pass along my experience here possibility to help anyone else who is transferring tracks from the VS to Reaper. I've been spending a lot of time learning Reaper (Groove3 videos by Kenny are excellent) & I believe it's well worth pursuing this combination. I've also been syncing the VS-1680 & Reaper together successfully too. I'm hoping this is the last great headache to overcome. I got the tempo problem sorted out as well. If anyone needs any info let me know. I'm at work so this will have to be short for now. Thanks for all the help & advice along the way from Bear * Uptildawn! The fog is lifting. Eric

Edited by europa_man (09/11/14 11:10 AM)

#1329100 - 09/11/14 12:57 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: europa_man]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

That sounds quite odd to me.
When you say that the tracks wouldn't play after opening the second time, do you mean that the program wouldn't respond to the playback command, or that it would play the session, but there was no sound as the cursor moved through the timeline?

Are you sure that Reaper's file paths are set up properly?
Are you deleting any of the VS ripped files from their original location on the hard drive after first working on them in Reaper?
Are you re-naming files after first working on them in Reaper?

You're using a CF card to transfer VS Songs to the PC?
Are you letting Reaper write files directly to the CF card that has the VS Song stored on it, or removing the CF card after first importing the Song into Reaper without first having copied the VS Song files to your pc's hard drive?

I can't think of any reason why Reaper should require someone to render VS Song tracks to .wav files in order to continue to work on them beyond the initial import of a VS Song.

If this were true, I would think the developers of Reaper would have pasted cautions and/or disclaimers about the .dll plug-in used for this procedure long ago. I would also think that forum members on both the Planet and Reaper's websites would have been grumbling about this to no end.

I don't have time this morning to try a test for myself, so I can't confirm any ideas I have about your issue right now.

Edited by uptildawn (09/11/14 01:00 PM)

#1329127 - 09/11/14 02:55 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: uptildawn]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
I would always render the reaper project to wav as the first step after importing VS tracks. This way the conversion is done, no more processing is required converting the RDAC. As you render there is checkbox to automatically bring the wav files produced into new tracks in the project

Then I would delete the RDAC tracks, save the project and use that from then on to work with

Also when you save a project in reaper - make sure the little checkbox is checked to "MOVE ALL MEDIA INTO PROJECT DIRECTORY"

I usually have "CREATE SUBDIRECTORY FOR PROJECT" checked also, so every thing is neat and every song is in it's own little directory with all of it's media files

#1329130 - 09/11/14 03:01 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: uptildawn]
europa_man Offline
Planeteer

I'm using the CD method with Bear's program. The tracks are showing up & Reaper is playing but there is no sound from tracks. They always play correctly when loaded in the very first time. All tracks are in their own folders. It caused me to first believe the sound card was acting up & so I bought the Scarlet interface which is a nice improvement. The same problems continued. It's been causing me a lot of stress trying to sort this out. After rendering the all tracks right from the moment I open the VS-song seems to be working. Is it possible upload some screen shots (jpgs) with my replies? I noticed Bear has some with his responses. Talk soon.

Edited by europa_man (09/11/14 03:03 PM)

#1329138 - 09/11/14 03:41 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: europa_man]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Use something like tinypic.com to insert jpgs into posts

I do not understand what you just said

Does

"After rendering the all tracks right from the moment I open the VS-song seems to be working"

mean you got it working?

#1329156 - 09/11/14 04:44 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: bear]
europa_man Offline
Planeteer

When you load in the tracks the first time from the VS-song from the CD - Reaper plays the tracks properly. After you do some editing etc on those track & re-open the song file - no sound. All the audio setting are the same - nothing has changed but I could not get Reaper any sound when Reaper began to play??? I happen over & over again. Talk soon.
#1329160 - 09/11/14 04:58 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: europa_man]
bear Offline
Planeteer

As I said - render the tracks immediately in reaper to wavs... then delete the RDAC tracks and only use the rendered wavs

Then save everything into s folder so that it is a nice self contained song.

If that still does not work you have something goofy in your directory path structure.

In the case where tracks do not play, do you see the waveforms in the tracks?

#1329166 - 09/11/14 05:31 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: bear]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for the advice bear - to render the VS tracks to .wav and then work on the converted tracks. It makes sense.

#1329188 - 09/11/14 07:19 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: uptildawn]
europa_man Offline
Planeteer

This what I said in my original post today. I had to render all the tracks to waves in order to be able to work with the tracks in Reaper long term.
Is this common knowledge? Is this the way it was programmed to work? I had to figure this out through a month of frustration. Is this documented somewhere?
Yes the waves are showing in Reaper but they are producing no sound when the file is played.

#1330564 - 09/18/14 07:05 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: europa_man]
TreeDragon7 Offline
Planeteer

beyond this is there any good enhancer or mastering effects that compliment vs-1880 files transferred into reaper ? Like VST, Standalone, or other processing capable in Reaper . Once the files are out of the VS and in DAW its all about retaining original quality and then some . . .

anyone have good processing ideas ?

#1330587 - 09/18/14 08:46 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: TreeDragon7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

There are literally hundreds of great quality plug-ins, separately and as part of bundles, that do great work of mastering, polishing, enhancing, etc. And there are at least hundreds more that do a good job...... and hundreds more that are probably decent. Much of the results, as always, depends on the user and experience working with those particular plug-ins.

Check out some of the videos on youtube where well-known professionals in the industry give demonstrations of how they work with plug-ins and talk in general about which ones they like and why. That won't give you THE answers, but it will give you great insight into what some experienced people currently like and why.

Then, before shelling out any hard-earned cash on what blows you away, do some research on the Reaper forum and find out:
1- if anybody is using "IT" and
2- whether what you want has a good reliability working relationship inside Reaper and
3- whether or not "IT" will work well with your PC configuration.

Edited by uptildawn (09/18/14 08:49 PM)

#1331039 - 09/21/14 09:27 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: uptildawn]
TreeDragon7 Offline
Planeteer

yes, I know . I have like 100's of vst effects. got most of them for free and some are top notch. I am thinking in terms of applying specific effects to get the most out of mtp files. I find gate, exciters, and just the right compression / limiter do compliment what comes out from the vs-1880. thanks
#1331068 - 09/22/14 12:48 AM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: TreeDragon7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

The thing is, is that even if somebody told you exactly which plug-in THEY use and that you should get, it's only going to do what YOU can make it do in a way that satisfies you.

I've heard music people here have produced with nothing but the VS (or at least they say so) and it blows away music others have produced of an equal caliber performance in "mastering" studios. What makes the difference?..... the gear, the producer, or maybe both, coupled with experience and comfort with that particular tool, or set of tools?

I could suggest that WAVES plug-ins would be the place to look, because I hear no end of the great things they do for people at every level of the mix. That doesn't mean they will automatically do wonders for and/or compliment the VS recordings, or any of them that you, or I produce on the VS with or without Reaper.

#1355216 - 12/18/14 07:12 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: europa_man]
lbeamer Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: United States
I would like to get a copy of the reaper_vs.dll and a current copy of the wave export. do you have a link or can you send it to my email larrybeamer@gmail.com
#1355269 - 12/18/14 09:29 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: lbeamer]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Check your PM for a link to download
#1451756 - 02/29/16 09:58 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: bear]
virtuous Offline
Space Cadet

hey Dudes, whats up??? Been awhile since someone has posted here huh? Anyway, I am having some problems with large file sizes. I did this project on the 2480 that was just huge , and I had to back it up on two Dvds using the Roland! What is the best way to get some of these file onto the computer. Does anyone have a link to the 64 bit version of the ripper? Also, I tried the Reaper thing and it tried to import everything and I was not successful at importing just the tracks I wanted. Does anyone have any useful tips for me or am I just screwed?

https://soundcloud.com/constantharmony
https://soundcloud.com/push-drive-studios

#1451774 - 02/29/16 11:19 PM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: virtuous]
bear Offline
Planeteer

check answer in 2480 forum
#1454149 - 03/12/16 03:10 AM Re: Reaper & VS-Track Ripper [Re: virtuous]
europa_man Offline
Planeteer

You must use Reaper 32bit version.
I've had good success getting my vs tracks into Reaper thanks to Bear & UptillDawn.
It's a small learning curve but once it's setup on the PC it works great. All my songs have been backed up on cds which will open in Reaper 32bit.
You must Render them to waves immediately & save the stem tracks as a Reaper project.
You can then open them in Reaper 64 bit. It's possible have both programs installed on the PC at the same time.
The track are raw with no effects if they have been recorded that way. It's real shame not to be able to use all the beautiful Roland VS effects but being able to edit on the big screen is "priceless" and makes it all worthwhile.
If you are new to Reaper - take advantage of these excellent free instructional videos on Reaper 5.
http://www.kennymania.com/learn-reaper/
You'll be up & running in no time!
Thanks again to this wonderful VS Planet community!
Eric

Edited by europa_man (03/12/16 03:11 AM)

Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
String Jammer
Xenophile
Dave Morris
T57Strat
slotz
GAMBLE
Jammer
Liquidirt
SteveW
JazAddict
motown59
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159732 Topics
1849460 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.