Page 9 of 22 « First<7891011>Last »
Topic Options
#13521 - 07/22/07 08:21 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
oneammonday Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Indiana
Thanks, bear.I'm a newby to VS Planet and didn't realize I wasn't in the 2480 forum. Duh. Yeah I've heard that it takes a while to burn .wavs in the 2480, so I'll probly be using these programs instead. Thanks again, Later
#13522 - 07/24/07 04:57 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Hardrock69 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Gnashville
Somebody please upload bear's VS Backup Ripper Tool to a place like MegaUpload, or some other file sharing place...this EasyShare website sucks ass! I have been trying to download this file for 10 minutes with no success.
#13523 - 07/24/07 05:03 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Hardrock69 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Gnashville
Argh...finally got it.

Here is a megaupload link. I am SURE that it will download WAY faster from Megaupload than that sorry EasyShare site.

Enjoy!
\:D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IYWI3SZM

#13524 - 07/24/07 06:57 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
Danielo has the cd ripper linked on his page also

http://www.thegoodlibrary.com/VSWaveExport.html

To download his utility ver1.22a and ripper ver018

#13525 - 07/31/07 04:24 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
MbS Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago
bear - need a little help.

I'm seeing an "Aborting process" output from the VSRipper when I run it.

I noticed in a previous post of this thread (page 1) where others got something similar and it was related to a "sector read" issue. But, it appeared in their situation they never made it to the end. I am getting to the end and can pull up the song in Reaper ok. The only reason I noticed this is because I'm trying to track down some "stuttering" and "hicups" in Reaper during playback. May not have anything to do with it, but I'd like to understand why it's saying "aborting process". That can't be good.

Do you think I need "alcohol" to produce an iso file - or is this ok? I wonder if "alcohol" runs on Vista?

Thanks in advance for your time.. Mark

Code:
VS Backup CD File Ripper - Version 0.1.8 - Don Speirs 6/14/07

Starting Strip process - need to create .hex

Drive type is recognised as CDROM/DVD.

Sending SPC1 Test Unit CDB6 command..done.
Returned good status.

Sending read TOC command..done.
Total user tracks : 1
Total sectors     : 86278

Reading sector 0 to 31  progress: 0.0%
Reading sector 32 to 63  progress: 0.1%
Reading sector 86240 to 86271  progress: 100.0%
Reading sector 86272 to 86277  progress: 100.0%

Sense data, key:ASC:ASCQ: 05:64:00

Aborting process.
size = 0a880000

cd.hex Input File Found - Now Stripping Roland FileSystem

Found a Roland 1880 backup file
Subdirectory created named SONG4
Writing SONG.VRx file SONG4/SONG.VR5
Writing NAME file SONG4/InitSong 005.txt
Searching at 00000434 File End at 0a880000
Searching at 00001434 File End at 0a880000
Searching at 0a87f434 File End at 0a880000
All Files processed, Come Back Soon!!!!

Deleting temporary cd.hex file

#13526 - 07/31/07 06:08 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

No, that message is normal....the format of a roland backup disc can cause windows to report an error code at the end of the TOC..but the image file is still correct

If the roland files are created everything went fine....

Stutters in reaper are probably caused by audio interface settings....

You might try Danielos program for direct conversion into .wav if you can't get reaper to work...

#13527 - 07/31/07 06:18 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
MbS Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago
Thanks for the quick response bear!!

I went out and got Alcohol 120%, created an ISO and converted it. When I was flipping between the "ripped" rendered version and the ISO version in Reaper - I decided to see if any of the PlugIns/FX I was using might be causing the "Stutters". Sure enough ... a free 'drum replacer' plug-in on my kick I downloaded was the culprit. Unk! I just replaced with stock Reaper 'trigger' and 'sample' plugs and everything sounds good now!

Btw - the latest release of Alcohol does work on Vista ok. It did *not* on a few prior releases. Crashed the system something horrible. Does anybody know if the shareware version expires? They say 'trial' on bootup and use the words 'shareware' - but I can't find anything that says it expires after say 30days. It's a dandy little piece of software...would like to use for awhile..

Thanks again Bear.

Mark

#13528 - 08/12/07 11:41 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Scorpios Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Germany
I haven't been to this forum for quite some time, for the last year or 2, my VS machines have basically been serving me as mixers to run digitally to my soundcard to provide inputs, phantom power analog to digital conversion etc and I have gotten quite used to recording on Cakewalk Sonor and other various software.

I do still have a ton of data disc bacups of older albums I recorded on my VS1680/880 setup though that I received some offers to re-release and have been putting off remastering due to the painfully inconvenient process of syncing up to my soundcard, and transfering data 2 tracks per take. Seems I never got the MTC sync down how I needed it to do this with various software and it was just a hassle to make me put things off, I brought up some issues regarding my soundcard on the cakewalk forum and it eventually came down to the vs set up I was using and got word of the Reaper Sequencer.

Needless to say, as soon as I heard about this, I logged into the vsplanet now and found the thread, and am pretty friggin excited about it. I havent even read through the basics of it all yet, but if this is truly a way to easily convert data backups from the VS machines to open on my pc in wav, I am going to be in a VERY good mood.

SO, now that I had a moment to let this sink in that it just might be possible, I am going to read through the methods and see how it all works... glad to see that this forum is still extremely useful.

http://zebox.com/sse

#13529 - 08/13/07 02:01 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Scorpios Offline
Planeteer

Ok, I tried it out and it works even better than I thought (extremely fast). I have one problem though, and I am using the VSwaveExpert as I am 'DOS Challenged'.

I have 99% of my data discs burnt from my VS880(Virtually EXpanded) and it doesnt seem to support those formats.

I am wondering if a software update is in the works to support the VS880 (unfortunately now it seems to only support the 880EX), and if loading the 880 data discs to my 1680, then burning a new data disc would solve the problem?

#13530 - 08/13/07 02:20 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

The CD ripper program SHOULD work OK with the VS880. I have tried it on a small sample (I only have one or two backups that FunkyBeat kindly sent me) and these SHOULD import into reaper OK.

I do not believe Danielo's VSWaveExport program supports these files though. I think you will have to run the ripper standalone and then use reaper to convert to wave....

It really is not hard to run the ripper standalone, just set up a batch file to invoke it if you don't want to run from a command window.... PM me if you need help setting it up.... After you have done it once you will see it is a piece of cake.

I don't think you can import vs880 CD's to the 1680... I am pretty sure the import function only works with ZIP discs and external harddrives....I might be wrong.

#13531 - 08/13/07 02:33 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Scorpios Offline
Planeteer

Bear thanks,I will definitely give this a try and hopefully not Pming you will, but be prepared hehe.

Opening 880 data cdr's works fine with the 1680. I have done it many times.

#13532 - 08/13/07 05:47 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Hmmm maybe it was EXPORTING that would not work from 1680 to 880 format on CDR... been a long time since I tried..

Good Luck!

#13533 - 08/13/07 05:48 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
FunkyBeat Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
 Quote:
Originally posted by bear:
It really is not hard to run the ripper standalone, just set up a batch file to invoke it if you don't want to run from a command window....
And just an FYI for onlookers, the instructions for setting up the bat file are at the bottom of page 1 of this thread.

#13534 - 08/13/07 09:02 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Funky - were you succesful in converting from vs880?
#13535 - 08/14/07 12:04 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
FunkyBeat Offline
Planeteer

Using Reaper? Yes. \:\)

I never tried using VSWaveExport though.

#13536 - 08/16/07 03:57 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Well there ya go Scorpios... Danielo added 880vx support to his VSWavexport program (ver 1.23a)
#13537 - 08/20/07 04:06 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
onewayout Offline
Planeteer

Loc: At the Beach
HELP!! Nothing is working and I have been trying for 3 days!!!

#13538 - 08/20/07 04:08 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
onewayout Offline
Planeteer

Loc: At the Beach
Please see questions on Questions At bottom of the page...

#13539 - 09/16/07 04:01 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
LarryBond12 Offline
Planeteer

This is really a great utility. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. thanks Mr. Beat.
#13540 - 09/17/07 09:15 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
admiralbinkatron Offline
Space Cadet

Hi there,

I was so excited when I discovered Bear's Ripper and the VS Wave Export! It gives me so many more options with the VS1680. However I have had some problems trying to use the program. If you could help me out I would be very grateful, its probably something really obvious but I'm completely useless at writing code and stuff. Here is what happened:

1. I installed the latest build of VS Wave Export
2. I inserted a VS backup CD with one song on it into my laptop (which runs Vista Home Premium 32-Bit)
3. I started VS Wave Export
4. I clicked on Extras > Rip from CD-R
5. The commandline said: cd2roland D "C:\Rip0000"
6. I clicked on Start
7. This error message appeared:

Run-time error '75':

Path/File access error

8. ?

I am assuming that I need to modify the commandline, The VS Wave Export page confirms this, but I have no idea what to change the commandline to. Please help me if you can!

Thanks muchly
B

#13541 - 09/17/07 09:49 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Sorry I know NOTHING about VISTA.. I thought I saw someone post about it working OK out of VISTA the other day though... Doesn't VISTA have all kinds of crazy file permission stuff? Are you running it with sufficient permissions?

Have you tried running the ripper standalone (instead of from inside Danielo's program)? Either from a DOS command window (does VISTA even have these?) or from a .bat file...

You can leave the output path specifier off (i.e cd2roland D and it will just make subdirectories from wherever you have the cd2roland.exe.

Is D the correct drive letter for your CD drive?

Does VISTA have some kind of compatibiity mode to use XP programs?

"Path/File access error" means to me that VISTA is not finding or allowing access to the cd2roland.exe file. Where do you have it loaded?

Someone who knows VISTA is going to have to chime in.. until then, surely you have access to an XP machine somewhere?

#13542 - 09/17/07 10:21 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
FunkyBeat Offline
Planeteer

Very good points, bear.

I'd also like to add that if the ripper program does work solo with Vista, then I would suggest trying the ripper with the Reaper method. (Method #1 in my directions) Reaper does work with Vista.

#13543 - 09/19/07 09:36 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
admiralbinkatron Offline
Space Cadet

Hi Guys,

In answer to your questions:

I am running the programs with all available permissions.

When i try to run the Ripper standalone a DOS screen appears momentarily and then disappears. I have never used a .bat file before so don't know what to do. Would you be able to advise me if possible?

My CD drive is E (well spotted!), however I changed "D" to "E" in the commandline and it still wouldn't work.

Could you elaborate on "You can leave the output path specifier off"? I have tried it with the commandline CD2Roland E, however it says:

Error in command string!

CD2Roland, ExeStub and VS Wave Export are all running in XP compatibility mode.

When I unzipped the folder that I downlaoded from VSWaveExport I kept all of the items together in the same folder.

As I can't get the ripper tool to work solo I don't think it would be worth me getting Reaper.

Any ideas? I will try and contact MbS for advice as he did indeed say that he managed to get it to work on Vista. Thanks for your help!

Ben

#13544 - 09/20/07 06:50 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
admiralbinkatron Offline
Space Cadet

I just downloaded Reaper and had the whole thing working within 20 minutes using your instructions.
Its definitely worth $40!

Thanks again

#13545 - 09/20/07 08:09 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
FunkyBeat Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by admiralbinkatron:
I just downloaded Reaper and had the whole thing working within 20 minutes using your instructions.
:thumb:
It's amazing what happens when people closely follow those directions to the letter. Glad it worked out for ya!

#13546 - 10/08/07 04:32 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
corwin Offline
Planeteer

Loc: europe
Hi,

on an earlier post, i had asked if the conversion works through Mac and the answer was no. I would like to convert the individual tracks of a VS1680 song backed up on a plextor CD-R to .wav or aiff. the only other solution that i found through the Roland discussion site is to rent a VS2000 for an afternoon then to do the CD-R recover of the VS1680 tracks into the VS2000 which apparently had the capacity to convert and re-write a CD-R in .wav files. But is the VS2000 compatible with an SCSI plextor ? or does it just recognize the CD-R of the VS1680 on it's own CD-R writer/player ? any ideas on this ?

Or, is the PC conversion quick and simple enough for me to send a VS1680 CD-R to a friend who has no notion of recording or music to do it for me ?
Should i start looking for a VS2000 ?

i'm trying to figure out which is the simplest way to go considering that i use a Macintosh.

thank you.
Corwin

p.s. btw, the reverb applied to stereo tracks via bouncing worked for those who helped out. thanks again.

#13547 - 10/09/07 04:25 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
I would TAKE the cd-r and a copy of the conversion programs (or at least links to the downloads) to a friend's house that has a pc. Certainly you must know SOMEONE within a few miles of your location that owns a PC?! \:\)

DanT

#13548 - 10/09/07 10:44 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
corwin Offline
Planeteer

\:\) i live in a small rural countryside village in Europe and it's great but the neighbors around are sheep and cattle for the most part... but i think i understand from having read this forum that the VS2000 route may be more time consuming and the PC option easier if all goes well.

thank you !
Corwin

#13549 - 10/09/07 03:09 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I don't know about the sheep, but I'm pretty sure the cattle in my neck of the woods prefer pc over mac... You might try them first. \:\)

I would assume that the VS2000 would simply read the data cd-r of the 1680 through its own built-in cd drive. The cd burner of the 1680 is not required for this. Once in the 2000, you would probably convert the 1680 song into a 2000 song to be able to work with its contents. This is the way all the other VS units have worked in the past.
I don't know how quick of an operation this would be (but I'm guessing somewhat slow based on other VS operations \:\) ) Plus the cost of renting a VS2000... but have you located a livestock house that has a VS2000 in stock?..... That might be tricky. \:\)

Actually, the process of converting the VS files to wav on a pc is really quite simple and painless for the most part. But someone not acquainted with the stuff will need a little guidance at first if for no other reason than the VS-written data cd-r is not recognized by Windows and could confuse the operator if they try to read the cd without the utilities for converting.

DanT

#13550 - 10/10/07 12:38 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
corwin Offline
Planeteer

\:\) you have a point about finding the VS2000 under the bellies of the cows around here but i was literally thinking of buying a VS2000 or VS2480 online considering that this maybe a recurrent issue. i spoke to someone at Roland Europe and he actually gave me another option. It's viable for a title or maybe a few but may prove to be tedious for an entire conversion of a hard drive full of songs or albums.
he told me that i could simply write an audio CD-R at a rate of 2 tracks at a time respectively panning odd tracks left and even tracks right in the case of mono tracks. and writing the stereo tracks at a time as well. marker position off so possibly no need to record blank space to have all the tracks lined up correctly and not starting all at the beginning but respecting the arrangement.

so a CD-R full of 2 track audio recordings of the 1 song and once all tracks are done, finalize and have the receiving party open the CD-R audio and just convert to .wav on any platform.

the quality should not be altered in any way if i am not mistaken.

what do you think ?

they don't speak english but the sheep send their best ;\)

#13551 - 10/11/07 05:22 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

The one downside (besides the possibility of having clipped signals if recorded too hot to the cd-r) I can see is that these audio tracks will by necessity be 16 bit and 44.1k.

If these are simply reference tracks, then no big deal, but if you are given tracks done in the same manner in return you have to consider that an audio cd must be created at 16 bit/44.1k and that this might not be the quality you require..... say if you like to record with the MTP mode (24 bit) and/or at 48k sample rate.

DanT

I understand from my sister that the sheep and cows don't get along in Nebraska.... they won't speak to each other at all. \:\) Nothing but moaning and bleating all day long.

#13552 - 10/25/07 02:55 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
MIKE Offline
Planeteer

Loc: San Diego Ca US
Thanks to your collective efforts I just listened to some recordings done in 1999. WOW!!! I just can't say enough!!!!!! Thank you!!!!
#13553 - 11/04/07 05:08 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
stephenseifert Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Nashville, TN
I just found out about all this! I've had a 1680 since it was released. I'm in the middle of a large project and thought I would check the forum to see if anyone had cracked the code yet. WOW! What a surprise to see my export problems are a thing of the past.

You folks seriously have saved me time and made me money at a time in my life where I can spare neither. Thank you so much!!! Really unbelievable...

Stephen Seifert
Nashville, TN
http://stephenseifert.com/

#13554 - 11/09/07 07:32 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
BanjoStation Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: West Yorkshire, UK
Huge thanks to Randygo, Danielo and Bear for their work on getting VS backups into the PC. I've only just discovered it existed. Followed FunkyBeat's instructions - works like a dream.

Bear, this may seem rather trivial to ask since the software is already fantastic - is there any chance that a future version might be able to extract the date stamp on songs and maybe put it in the text file?

Now I just have to go convert around 500 songs to .wavs 'cos I don't have an excuse not to any more!

#13555 - 11/09/07 09:56 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Glad it is helping folks out..

BanjoStation - it probably is possible since the info is somewhere in the song data (when a VS recovers a song it knows the timestamp), but it is not trivial to find out where it is hidden in the raw data.

Next time I am poking around in the code I will look and see if I can spot, but I doubt if it will be anytime soon, I am pretty tied up with other stuff right now..

Page 9 of 22 « First<7891011>Last »

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159766 Topics
1849752 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.