Page 11 of 12 « First<89101112>
Topic Options
#1429079 - 11/07/15 03:04 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: will_f]
ricket Offline
Planeteer

Oh Joy !!!

Thank you thank you thank you !!!

#1436830 - 12/15/15 05:35 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: will_f]
will_f Offline
Space Cadet

VSR-880 Modified Caddy DWG File

Since my last post, I came up with an adaptation of the caddy for a VSR-880 that I just acquired. I added a base with holes for M2.5 screws to hold down the SD card extension. I had to do a bit of guesswork, but it came out usable. The caddy could stand to lose a few tenths of a mm around the part that holds the HDP-88. Perhaps someone could advise. I've attached the CAD with the original and modified caddy for you guys to mess around with. It was a tighter fit that I had envisioned, but I was able to successfully play back and record with the VSR-880.

I bought a IDE-SD converter that unfortunately had the same startup issues that have been reported on this forum as of late. I would save my song, and the VSR-880 would ask to initialize the card on the next startup. I took the card from my VS-880EX and all was well. I may opt for a CF converter in my VS-880EX when I get around to it.

#1437017 - 12/16/15 07:31 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: will_f]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Loc: California
Is there a consensus now on the best set up for a flash card in a Roland VS unit? I have two 890s and a 880 and it's time to make the change.
#1437039 - 12/16/15 09:19 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Slabraton]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
I'm not really stalking you today, Slabraton. \:\)

But it seems to me that what used to work pretty slick has become a bit of a pain lately.

The SD/CF card mods I did a few years ago work(ed) pretty nicely. The mods I've been reading about lately seem to be running into trouble with the VS wanting to reformat the card everytime the machine is powered up (or something along that line). It appears to me that maybe the adapter cards have seen some change in design that might be causing this, where before what looks like the same card-type didn't have this issue.

Don't know how widespread the problem is between the makes/models of these adapters - and so many of them look identical....

Hope somebody here has some good news on this front.
It's sad to think that this internal replacement could fall off like the external solution fell off because of the sudden rising cost of the bridge adapters that worked and now the scsi cases (from what I've been reading).

#1437057 - 12/16/15 10:30 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for the response. I've noticed that the ebay seller who used to carry the CF adapters is no longer doing so.
#1437070 - 12/16/15 11:16 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Slabraton]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

The CF card adapter that I bought a few years ago and that works fine in my external case is identical in every respect on the surface of it to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Drive-Adapter...in+2.5-Inch+HDD

Whether or not it IS the same I can not say, but even the lettering and wording is identical.

I remember trying it with an older Lexar CF card and also with a CF-to-SD card adapter (same size as a CF card and plugs into the CF card pins) looks exactly like this one: http://uedata.amazon.com/SDHC-MMC-Compac...cf+card+adapter

Both adapters were made in Taiwan, in case that makes a difference today.

The tests I remember doing were with the adapters used in an external scsi enclosure and they worked fine. The only tests I recall doing as a replacement for the internal drive have been with an 2.5" ide to SDHC adapter board, which I plugged directly into the pin connector of my VS's internal hard drive caddy assembly.

#1437498 - 12/19/15 06:59 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for the links.
#1446726 - 02/06/16 12:58 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Slabraton]
Jack_Nelson Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
A couple of photo's of my SD-carded EX - the big (only?) advantage of it being that the holder is spring-loaded, so the card can be inserted/removed with a simple press of a finger.

No, not pretty.
The outer cover is a b̶a̶s̶t̶a̶r̶d̶i̶s̶e̶d̶ modified plastic blanking plate from a desktop PC, on which is stuck the SD/SDHC Card Reader Extension Cable...(DealExtreme, dx.com, $4 inc.)

Downside, other than looking ugly?
The length of the 'ribbon' cable, between the caddy front and the SD/IDE adapter within...it's over 12", and paper-thin these days, so care has to be used when 'folding' it to fit inside the caddy confines....yes, cut it by all means, but good luck reconnecting it afterwards.

#1446765 - 02/06/16 05:00 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Jack_Nelson]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Interesting mod of a mod.

#1446778 - 02/06/16 05:32 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Jack_Nelson Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: uptildawn
Interesting mod of a mod.

It is, but I'm still tempted to try and shorten the extention cable

For the minute it's rolled as tightly as I dare and held with a rubber band, and of course there's also a nasty-looking twist in there courtesy of the IDE/SD converter card-holder facing east (as it were).
I don't know if you can actually fold/crease these newer ribbon cables - they are like paper in comparison to the original PC cables, but they've still got wires running through!

My original thought was to cut a suitable slot in the caddy front, and then the same in the outer metal cover....but then common sense prevailed!
Too many chances of a balls-up!

[Edit]
A couple of days on, and I've still avoided cutting the cable, but have managed to fold the ribbon (but not so much as to crease it)
I used masking tape to hold the folds together, finally taking the chance of a right-angle fold above the adapter, allowing the cable to point towards the front of the machine.
I also superglued the card holder to the front panel, making it sturdier than the original 'sticky fixer'.
It all still works OK, but in case it all goes belly up at some stage, the cradle and metal front panel are completely untouched.

Edited by Jack_Nelson (02/08/16 06:35 PM)

#1447119 - 02/07/16 11:53 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Jack_Nelson]
memphislim161 Offline
Planeteer

I'm late to the party but have problem. Just did this upgrade and everything works as should but the drive only works until I turn the unit off. Once I re-boot the drive is unformatted again. I can play, copy and record once I re format the disk but then I cycle power and the drive says unformatted again. Tried different disks and same problem. When I put the SD card in the computer, the VS files are on there, so they are being written.

It does not seem like a disk problem but not sure. I don't see anybody else here with this issue. Could it be the adapter? Help please.

Edited by memphislim161 (02/07/16 11:59 PM)

#1447126 - 02/08/16 12:30 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: memphislim161]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Here's a link to a recent thread on just this subject of the SD adapter in place of the internal drive wanting to re-initialize every time the machine is powered up. http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1429338#Post1429338

Seems the a CF card and adapter work....... that might be something to consider.
I don't know if an SD card in a special CF card adapter will have the same problem. I don't have the issue to begin with, so I can't test it on my own system. That might be something else to try, although it seems to me that it won't work as an alternative.

It would appear to be the adapter design, but again I can't test, because the only one I've ever used happens to work fine and I've had that for maybe 5 years now.

#1447245 - 02/08/16 10:45 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Jack_Nelson Offline
Planeteer

Might this be something to do with card 'class' (the speed?)?

I've noticed that all my working cards happen to be Class 4.
Coincidence?
Perhaps not.

#1447292 - 02/08/16 06:47 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Jack_Nelson]
memphislim161 Offline
Planeteer

I tried class 4 6 and 10 no luck. I saw in another thread that someone else had the same issue and it was solved with a new adapter. I'll try another and report back.

#1447351 - 02/08/16 09:09 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: memphislim161]
Jack_Nelson Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: memphislim161
I tried class 4 6 and 10 no luck. I saw in another thread that someone else had the same issue and it was solved with a new adapter. I'll try another and report back.

Worth reminding you that one 4Gb failure - I think in everyone's case! - is Sandisk!

#1447392 - 02/08/16 10:45 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Jack_Nelson]
memphislim161 Offline
Planeteer

Yes, saw that Sandisk was a problem and used 3 different cards including PNY. I do believe that even the Sandisk had a different kind of issue-not being recognized. Mine were all recognized and were successfully initiated.

#1447402 - 02/08/16 11:34 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: memphislim161]
Jack_Nelson Offline
Planeteer

Agreed. My main ones are PNY and Transcend, in both 4 and 8Gb forms.
I had a quick look at my adapter after reading your last post, but there's no manufacturer/model number shown, I'm afraid...
Lap of the Gods, I fear.

#1448006 - 02/11/16 06:03 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Jack_Nelson]
memphislim161 Offline
Planeteer

I just tried two new, different adapters and now a Transend class 10 disk and still same result. Can anyone please tell me if they've purchased a working adapter recently and where they got it?

#1448102 - 02/11/16 10:53 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: memphislim161]
memphislim161 Offline
Planeteer

Someone reminded me to check that I was bending the pin first. To the best of my knowledge, the adapters now ship w/o that pin so no need bend. That is, if I am correct about the pin. As you look at the adapter, pins facing you, SD Slot on top, the tenth from the left pin is missing. A total of 43 pins. Please correct me if this is not the correct pin to be missing.

So, I got mine to work, kind of. Lots of trial and error but apparently it may not be the adapters. I read in the CF post about that card needing formatting so I tried it on the SD card. Here is what I learned:

1-If I formatted the card to FAT or FAT32 first, the VS sees 3 IDE drives on a 4GB card when booted and it would work fine from there on out with no need to initialize every time you cycle the power.

2-Once the VS sees these 3 partitions you can not let the VS re-initialize either quick or physical format or you're back to square one- a disk that needs initialized every time you boot. I tried this so that I could get full use of the 4GB card but to no avail. I also tried a 32GB card to see if I could at least get 4-1GB partitions but that did not work either.

So, with my adapter and FAT PC formatted 4GB card installed (tried several cards with same results) I have a 3GB drive that woks fine as long as I don't Initialize it via the VS.

Any ideas you guys have that would explain or fix this?

Edited by memphislim161 (02/11/16 10:56 PM)

#1448197 - 02/12/16 05:38 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: memphislim161]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Check your other post and mine following, which contains the pic.
I just noticed, besides what I already said in the other thread, that you say the pins are facing you.

So, you say pins facing you, card slot up, that the 10th pin from the left, in the top row, is the one removed/missing/not there anymore.

In my case, which has always worked just fine:

pins facing me, card slot up, 10th pin from the RIGHT, in the BOTTOM row, is removed.

I'll amend my other post to reflect looking at the card in the same direction in the text. The picture shows the pins facing AWAY.

#1448227 - 02/12/16 01:49 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: memphislim161]
Jack_Nelson Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: memphislim161
Someone reminded me to check that I was bending the pin first. To the best of my knowledge, the adapters now ship w/o that pin so no need bend. That is, if I am correct about the pin. As you look at the adapter, pins facing you, SD Slot on top, the tenth from the left pin is missing. A total of 43 pins. Please correct me if this is not the correct pin to be missing.

Erm....
Can't access my machine as I write, but I've just dug out my CF adapter for a quick check...
Following your description to be axiomatic - pins facing me, (CF) card slot on top, total of 43 pins - but as you can (just about) see....

'my' missing pin is 10 from the right, bottom row...

Will try and check my SD version adapter later today....

Edited by Jack_Nelson (02/12/16 01:53 PM)

#1448233 - 02/12/16 02:37 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Jack_Nelson]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Yep, same as mine...... better pic too.

#1448246 - 02/12/16 04:53 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
memphislim161 Offline
Planeteer

I';m not sure the CF and SD card pin is the same or is the orientation. Here is mine shown as I would slide into VS when it is right side up.

#1448256 - 02/12/16 05:39 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: memphislim161]
Jack_Nelson Offline
Planeteer

Back in Nelson Towers, so had a chance to take a few photo's of the SD card arrangement....
First, a shot of the actual Roland interface, taken from the recorder's front. If you look carefully, you'll see that one of the ports is actually blocked off - not by me, incidentally, and I bought the machine before the 'alternative drive' idea was mooted, so why it's blocked is a bit of a mystery.

Next is a shot of the pin side of the adapter....again, pin10 from right, bottom row, removed.... You can see the orientation of the SD card on top.

Last, how the adapter lines up with the Roland interface. Suffice to say, you can't see the missing pin because you're looking at the top elevation....

Granted, I'll not win any awards for photography, but hope these help in some way....

#1448258 - 02/12/16 06:02 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Jack_Nelson]
memphislim161 Offline
Planeteer

Thanks Jack. Your photos confirm that A-I have the missing pin on my card in the right spot on the interface and B-the 3 different adapters I recently purchased all have the SD slot on the opposite side than yours.

So, the issue I'm having is not related to the pin or installation of the adapter. Is there a firmware difference on the new adapters that affect the VS's ability format a SD card successfully upon re-boot?

#1448269 - 02/12/16 06:41 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: memphislim161]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Jack, that blocked pin hole on your adapter is by design, thus why we all had to remove pin 10 to plug the adapter card into the VS caddy connector.

Michael, I can't explain why (apparently) newer adapter cards don't work right, but something in the card design must be different. It's not the VS, the caddy, or the SD/CF cards.

#1448276 - 02/12/16 06:54 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
memphislim161 Offline
Planeteer

I fear you are right about the new adapters. Trying to find an old adapter, anyone have one to sell or know where there might be one?

Edited by memphislim161 (02/12/16 06:55 PM)

#1448302 - 02/12/16 08:31 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
Jack_Nelson Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: uptildawn
Jack, that blocked pin hole on your adapter is by design, thus why we all had to remove pin 10 to plug the adapter card into the VS caddy connector.

As ever, Mr.T, I bow to your greater knowledge!

#1448325 - 02/12/16 09:27 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Jack_Nelson]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I'm sure it's easier to hear the words that way. \:\)

#1497644 - 10/10/16 09:30 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: Rickbell7]
robertlloyd Offline
Space Cadet

Hi folks - I've been using my VS880Ex with SD card internal drive conversion for some while now and it works great. I normally use SPDIF to connect to an old Creative Audigy set up but want to try the VS Wave Export software. I have downloaded VS Wave Export.exe and have the expected window . With SD card from the VS880 plugged into the PC card reader it shows two folders SONG0000.VR8 and SONG0001.VR8 along with two Adobe reader files SONGLIST.VR8 and SYSTEM.VR8 . I have tried drag and drop to the VS Wave Export panel but no go . Any help please.
#1497670 - 10/11/16 01:31 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: robertlloyd]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Just tested it out on the Win7 pc.
Open your My Computer window and drag the sd card "drive" itself into VSWE. That should do it for you.
Don't open the drive, or drag files into VSWE......

I was so certain that dragging the files in, or letting it find the drive on its own was how it's always worked, but I guess not.

#1497757 - 10/11/16 04:45 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
robertlloyd Offline
Space Cadet

Many thanks u.t.d. - everything worked fine - I could not find the WAV files at first but discovered that I need to access them via the Computer tab in start up . First mix down using humble old Audacity worked well but I am missing the VS effects - am I doing something wrong or does it only convert "naked" song data?
#1497764 - 10/11/16 05:36 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: robertlloyd]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

VSWE only exports dry tracks.

You could always bounce the effects to other v-tracks, so they will export as their own wav files that you could blend into your Audacity mix. Or you could bounce the effects, with their track source to separate v-tracks, too. Parallel (looped/post/pre) effects such as a reverb applied to many tracks, might be best bounced as just wet and probably in stereo (2 v-tracks), but some parallel effects could be bounced with their individual instrument track to create a new processed version of the dry track. Many people do this as a way of preserving all the effect sounds in a multi-track recording, so that years down the road the effects will have been preserved, regardless of the state of the effects processors in current use... Of course this requires many extra tracks and not something most VS users would typically do, given the limited playback track numbers.

Tracks that have inserted effects, such as a distortion on guitar, would need to be bounced to a new v-track as well, because even though the effect is inserted, it's not been printed in the VS. It all means extra prep work, but it could be worth it to you to keep those VS sounds.

Create a destination folder and sub folders for each VS song you export to wav files at the time of your export from VSWE. Not only will you always know precisely where the new wav files are located, but they'll be in your chosen location and VSWE won't accidently overwrite anything from previous exports - something the CD ripper is known to do if no precautions are taken.

#1497811 - 10/11/16 10:43 PM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: uptildawn]
robertlloyd Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks again - this is great advice - I mostly produce 8 track demos so with the SD card reader it's not such a problem with memory as it would be with the old IDE HD and SCSI drives so bouncing effects would be ok. I have kept one SCSI to make copies of all finished songs (copy to SCSI , copy back new SD card.) My next step is to use a dedicated laptop with Windows 7 but I don't think I will ever abandon my VS880 - it was great with the old IDE HD /SCSIs set up but now its a really sleek arrangement. Any advice on the best laptop - but maybe that's for another thread.
#1497853 - 10/12/16 02:25 AM Re: SD Adaptor for the VS880!! - And it works great! [Re: robertlloyd]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

maybe another thread, since this one's being hijacked... still good info.

Page 11 of 12 « First<89101112>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849692 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.