Topic Options
#1448672 - 02/14/16 01:51 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Ismellelephant]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
 Originally Posted By: Ismellelephant
 Originally Posted By: rhythmace47
With all due respect? If I could have a conversation with him, I would have to ask, why don't you explore the sounds in your instrument? It's not like we don't have control knobs on guitars?

LOL.
I like the guitar because of one main reason, it can sound like a bunch of different things. I love a clean Jazz tone to a buzzsaw sound. If you have a 'tone" then you are using a small fraction of what the guitar can do. This is JMHO

And I've listened to him for that reason alone. Far be it from me to have his skills.

#1448673 - 02/14/16 02:11 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: rhythmace47]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

When you record a guitar track? And then fill in behind that?

That sound is your sound. Until you start another guitar track.

When you start a new tune? And rediscover guitar? That sound is your sound. That's what I do because I never fully developed.

I never had a record producer telling me what I should sound like. You have to learn to appreciate that. \:\)

#1448697 - 02/14/16 04:03 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: rhythmace47]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

I think if you are looking for your sound? The minute you started recording at home? You probably dialed in your sound.

I learned that on tape, then digital. Love it or hate it, learn to deal with it. That's your sound. You can cover stuff, do your own stuff. Listen back. That's your sound.

My advice? Learn to appreciate it. That will probably be your sound from now on.

#1448698 - 02/14/16 04:10 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: rhythmace47]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Commanda, Ontario Canada
Can't argue with that.

Never mind, Just give me a B and I'll flatten it myself.

Andy on SoundCloud

#1448711 - 02/14/16 04:40 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Andy McClelland]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Andy McClelland
Can't argue with that.

Works for me. I hate to argue when I know I'm right. \:\)

(I try so hard not to lecture.)

#1448714 - 02/14/16 04:54 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: rhythmace47]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

But I still think Jim Hall has great tone. \:\)

And you, Ace, have a sound. I listened to your stuff. There is a sound there for sure - gentle - that is not aggressive but in the pocket with some interesting melodic ideas.

Andy on SoundCloud

#1448715 - 02/14/16 04:55 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Andy McClelland]
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

One of my main guitars (L7) has a single pickup (neck position held on by doubled sided tape) with a volume and tine pot. On gigs, I never use them. In fact the volume pot hasn't even worked for the last year or so. No F/X other than amp reverb.

I occasionally use the tone pot in the studio too get a really dark sound (or compensate for shitty technique).

I guess I'm a "tone-is-in-the-fingers" kinda guy. Plus I'm too lazy to be screwing around with switches and knobs and shit.

Smelly was once in band called "Knobs and Shit" by the way.

It is true I was in Knobs and Shit and we were a great band until one member fell and impaled himself on his mothers dildo.
Fingers are important for making tones no doubt about that. Too bad the band members mother didn't realize the importance of fingers.

#1448721 - 02/14/16 05:06 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: rhythmace47]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

How can anyone know what their sound is unless it takes off and flies and sells thousands of records? You can't possibly know that equation.

You, as an artist, will never know. You can speculate, imagine, love your stuff because it sounds great. You will never know what your sound is until it connects. Until then? You just work on your sound.

Until then, you hear this. A record on the radio that sucks. Oh! I could do that! Well, ya. You could!!

#1448722 - 02/14/16 05:16 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: rhythmace47]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
How can anyone know what their sound is unless it takes off and flies and sells thousands of records? You can't possibly know that equation.

You will never know what your sound is until it connects.

I don't think that's necessarily true. There a lot of unknown-to-the-masses people playing live that have a sound - whether they be complete bands or individual players in either all-original or cover bands. Like the Dan Barnes stuff. Or Doghouse Daddies. Or Gonzo. Or Al. Jo. Guitardaze.

The "sound", I think, should be constantly evolving in an "artist".

Andy on SoundCloud

#1448724 - 02/14/16 05:23 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Andy McClelland]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

But I still think Jim Hall has great tone. \:\)

And you, Ace, have a sound. I listened to your stuff. There is a sound there for sure - gentle - that is not aggressive but in the pocket with some interesting melodic ideas.

I agree. I try to play in the pocket. However, that is never gentle or melodic.

You have wayyyyyy better tone than Jim Hall. I think I know the difference. No problem listening to you. Then again? That's just me. I listen to your tunes to the end. Can't say that about him. I think you need a reality check on your musicality. \:\)

#1448726 - 02/14/16 05:40 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Andy McClelland]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

Quote:

You will never know what your sound is until it connects.

I don't think that's necessarily true. There a lot of unknown-to-the-masses people playing live that have a sound - whether they be complete bands or individual players in either all-original or cover bands. Like the Dan Barnes stuff. Or Doghouse Daddies. Or Gonzo. Or Al. Jo. Guitardaze.

The "sound", I think, should be constantly evolving in an "artist".

But that is what I'm trying to say. Evolving is everything. It is impossible to know what you sound like, when so many here, are heard by so few. You can't really measure your projects by that. I love listening to people here. Commenting. Not sure it's what they need though. You just want to hear good players with great ideas get over. At least I'm for that!!!

Gonzo? Seriously? He did a lot of work...should be rewarded for it, IMO. It's a seriously tough game. But I knew it was like that, ohhhh. back in the 70's.

#1448728 - 02/14/16 06:00 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: rhythmace47]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

I take my stuff seriously. I can hear it on the radio 50 years ago...it stops there though. I listen to everything here like that too. Always a contest. Gotta love that. Just another band in town, throwing stuff out there...same shit I have always experienced. I love that. Finding out what your sound is all about.

But when you start recording....you really start finding out about yourself. I love that too.

#1448729 - 02/14/16 06:04 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Andy McClelland]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

Damn! Hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way. Success isn't always a measure of anyone's musical muse.

#1448740 - 02/14/16 08:31 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: rhythmace47]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Just another band in town, throwing stuff out there...

Well this is a bar after all. Except that the new bands in town here can take advantage of technology that the average bar band doesn't usually take to a bar gig. Plus the guys that play in this bar don't have to put up with the drunk lougans screaming "FREEBIRD" every ten seconds at the top of their tequila saturated lungs.

Andy on SoundCloud

#1448751 - 02/14/16 02:02 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Andy McClelland]
JazAddict Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The West Coast of Florida
I'm in the "fingers ABSOLUTELY contribute to why ur sounds urs".

Howthehellever, the sax sound is influenced by so many of the players characteristics beyond fingers: mouth shape, air flow, lip size and pressure, etc

I can tell who many pro players are from about 3 seconds of playing, which is as much about extensive listening.

#1448763 - 02/14/16 04:26 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Andy McClelland]
Timster Offline
Artist #'s - 130, 298, 412
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Center of the Universe
Funny.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-jensrud/tracks

#1448765 - 02/14/16 04:29 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Timster]
Timster Offline
Artist #'s - 130, 298, 412
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Center of the Universe
"Knobs and Shit" fucking hilarious. I may start some lyrics.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-jensrud/tracks

#1448768 - 02/14/16 04:34 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Andy McClelland]
grachus Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 92
Planeteer

Loc: burlington ont, canada
Lately my sound is someone else. I'm getting my daughter to sing with me in the studio and she has such a great voice so I'm trying to get her to sing my songs.
I have a niece who has a killer sound unfortunately she lives far away .she recorded with me last visit she had here.
And now my math wiz son has shown his chops and is singing in the school musical ,I didn't know he liked to sing, so I might be getting him in the studio next.

The singing has always been work for me I really should be doing more singing exercises and training to keep my voice sounding strong. I've been working more on piano .

But essential to my sound at least the comfort I have with my songs is my acoustic guitar, a lovely larrivee lo3r, occasionally the piano.
My new synth,casio xwp1, is a great tool but it is not my sound.
It gets the blood flowing though.

Unfortunately for my sound this last year it has been mostly silence.

#1448791 - 02/14/16 06:00 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: grachus]
Waterman Offline
Artist # 435
Planeteer

Loc: Atlantic Beach, Florida
I think a lot of your sound comes from what you listen to.
There was an interview with Jaco where when asked about his playing and tone, he said it's everything I've ever heard on a radio from when I was kid on tiny transistor radio to great sound systems.

My guitar tone/sound is heavily influenced by Hendrix, Clapton and the Allman Brothers maybe with a little Johnny Winter thrown in, maybe just a dab of Mike Bloomfield as well?

My acoustic guitar tone/sound/style is derived from a lot of early Neil Young.

My bass sound is mostly influenced my Jack Bruce. I've tried in vain to find Jaco's sound.

But to put it all in context if you blend all that together and blend it up that's my sound.

Pete

#1448831 - 02/14/16 08:54 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Andy McClelland]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
Sorry, I didn't read through the rest of the posts....

For me it's my amp: VHT Pitbull Ultralead
NOTHING can replace that amp for me, at least as far as my ultimate, signature sound.
That said, I have at least 7 amps of all wattage and designs (and a couple of low wattage amp heads) and I create my own sound no matter what.

It's all about gain staging, at least in OD mode.
So, pedals can be important, although I need nothing with my VHT.
But with my other amps, definitely.
I currently use a Wampler Dual Fusion and a Seymour Duncan Twn Tube Classic, if anything at all.

Of course, guitars matter too.
However, not so much the guitar and it's construction (unless I want to whammy my heart out) but the PU config.
P-90, then slightly over-wound Tele bridge are my favorites.
I get along quite well with HBs too, prefer gibson PAF types but my favorite high gain is a DiMarzio Tone Zone.

In the studio it's different.
My VHT miked is my preference.
I get a lot of mileage out of an Egnator Tweaker.
Going direct I ALWAYS use ADA Ampulators and various preamps.....I even use the Ampulators with modelers - it breathes life into them.

As for effects, my tastes have varied over time and sort of evolved backwards.
That is, I tend to play dry MUCH, much more, even with clean sounds (used to be chorus/flange on cleans, delay of OD leads, etc.).
I do, however, love my Roland VG-88.
If you're willing to tweak it has tremendous potential (I still run it through two ADA Ampulators).

In the end, it's the ole' the tone is between the ears and fingers thing.
I can make interesting sounds with just about anything, even if I can't make my 1966 2 watt tube amp sound like a Twin Rectifier. But I'll make it sound damned good. \:\)

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1448846 - 02/15/16 01:12 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: MadGuitrst]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
Take note how different people took very different POV scope from "your sound".
#1448864 - 02/15/16 04:39 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Popmann]
flatcat Administrator Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
I think that is super-interesting, Jamie. Not a bad answer in the bunch.

Professor Truth T. Sweetness says,"Mind your manners!"

#1448909 - 02/15/16 04:04 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: flatcat]
mike gouthro Offline
Planeteer

Loc: toronto,ontario,canada
I exclude electric guitar and other instruments I occasionally dabble in eg keyboards, mandolin. I never achieved basic prowess on those let alone my own style and sound.

I have some chops on acoustic guitar but it's all aping true originals like Dave Van Ronk and James Taylor - and never really nailing their magic tone even when I can reproduce the notes they play. I have managed to cook up a somewhat unique hybrid playing style in the last 10 or 12 years but my tone is still not distinctive and my playing is still a tad sloppy.

#1448993 - 02/15/16 11:39 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: mike gouthro]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico ...
I think I have developed a sound of my own on piano, electric piano, organ, fender bass and drums. On guitar, I can sound like several people, none of them very good. ;\)

As a wordsmith, I think many of my lyrics sound like me specifically. Others could be anyone, but I tend to lose interest in those songs even if they're pretty good.

#1449775 - 02/19/16 09:33 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Jazzooo]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I was thinking about this today as I was playing my basses....the 62 Precision and the Carvin Fretless both say "right"--almost like I get sympathetic resonance at a cellular level with those two VERY different sounds....AmStd P5? Much like the J5 bfore it--intellectually--sounds great, very even string to string and up and down the neck....but, it doesn't resonate right (meaning with me--the thing is hella resonant)...

I was in a store yesterday played a strat....really sort of killing time...what a lovely instrument. All I could do to leave the store without it--but, then....maybe I shouldn't have....maybe that's whatever sympathetic resonance is all that matters. History says I get into trouble when I pick axes based on what I "know I want".....rather than just playing them and seeing what lights the fire.

#1449777 - 02/19/16 09:43 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Andy McClelland]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Loc: California
An aside - Jim Hall once said that he played an electric guitar so that he can play quietly.

There's a lot of truth in that comment. If you are playing solo acoustic guitar in a bar, you are pretty limited to loud music. You can't play Bossa Novas without amplification. And I hate trying to fingerpick to an open mic.

#1449782 - 02/19/16 10:01 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Slabraton]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

I was taught that the most difficult thing for a young player to come up with is their own identity. I've known people who could sightread anything but they couldn't make you want to listen to it.

Also, I was taught that your own style is not something you add; it's what's left once you get rid of everything superficial. I think that's the essence of finding your sound. You know what you like and what you don't like. Just get rid of everything that doesn't sound right!

I have an Electro R8 amp from the 1950s which is my baby but I am not dependent on it.

#1449784 - 02/19/16 10:12 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: flatcat]
Alan Offline
Nice guy! Cuddly Alan
Planeteer

Loc: Sauchie, Scotland, UK
So ... what makes your sound yours?

I do what I do.
I exist, I make noises.

If you don't like what i and other people do then...
spend all your time searching for what other people don't do.

YouTube - Soundcloud - Facebook

#1449788 - 02/19/16 10:33 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Alan]
Alan Offline
Nice guy! Cuddly Alan
Planeteer

Loc: Sauchie, Scotland, UK
But that's My Fuckin' sound, not Your "Sound"
Sorry!

YouTube - Soundcloud - Facebook

#1449904 - 02/20/16 07:25 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Alan]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

So, I thought about this as I listened to the new Lake Street Dive. My thought is the same every time I hear them:

"Someone make that chick play a Pbass"

But, that's the deal, right? That's part of "their sound"--it's jazzy R&B only she plays an upright bass...if put a P in her hands into a B15, they'd simply sound like a throwback R&B--which I, personally, would love the shit out of....but, they would lose BIG hipster points....now--they sound like one, but with a slightly different palette of sound. Arguably throwing it back to Motown's beginnings when Jamerson played an upright, but....anyway--analysis aside, that's part of their sound. Thus this post.

#1449906 - 02/20/16 07:42 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
The gear we use at the session and the clients instrument/vocal >> is our sound. It can easily change on every compilation of songs ..

So : Kurzweil samples are a big part of our sound >> the pres/room another .. Our sound = for the big part of it :: is 80/90's electronics.

#1449970 - 02/20/16 11:52 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Alan]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Alan
But that's My Fuckin' sound, not Your "Sound"
Sorry!

I thought the correct British spelling for "fucking" was "focking" but I guess that's Irish.

#1457780 - 03/26/16 06:42 PM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Slabraton]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I thought about this thread watching the LSD "songwriting masterclass" where they discuss her not "being able to play" an electric bass. Of course, that's bullshit--it's because she likes and plays upright. That's "her sound".

I was also thinking about how when I was a kid, I didn't ever think about collecting sounds....meaning--as a function most likely of being not a rich kid, I ALWAYS traded my current rig (be it guitar or amp) towards the new one. "This is where I'm going". Maybe it's because "where I'd been" was so relatively small it didn't warrant holding onto in any way. \:\) ....but, now I tend to get rid of things that I simply don't gel with--if I dig on a sound/instrument, I tend to keep it in the toolbox, even when I have no immediate plans to use it-and even may want to intentionally avoid it.

#1457881 - 03/27/16 12:02 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: Popmann]
flatcat Administrator Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
That's interesting, because I don't sell anything, and almost to a one, all the things I have unloaded I have regretted unloading.

Professor Truth T. Sweetness says,"Mind your manners!"

#1457917 - 03/27/16 02:17 AM Re: Your "sound" [Re: flatcat]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Yep--I think I'll sell BOTH Precisions. Fuck'em. Commodities. Go buy the weirdo 15 pound (hyperbole) Stingray SLO that felt right in my hands and sounded right. The one that sang "this is where I'm going".

Worst case, what I'm wrong? And years from now I can't find a good Precision bass? Ha. Double ha. Are mine magical? I mean--they may be better than average specimens, but....hell--if I'm wrong? The next one I buy will have a 1.5" Jazz neck....and it'll be "done" because I went to the other end of town only to come back to that sound with a nicer feeling neck.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849692 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.