Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1452046 - 03/02/16 07:25 AM Dust off your V-Fire....
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

Loc: Canada
It's nothing too glamorous at the moment, but for those looking to put their old V-Fire paperweights back into service, I managed to get it to work on a Windows 7 64 bit system (it should work on 8 through 10 but if you run a Mac, you're on your own). I was randomly trying Presonus firewire drivers and came across one that actually works. It's their Universal Control 1.7.2. I have no idea what it's supposed to work with since I don't use a Presonus interface. I use two different firewire cards, one wants nothing to do with it, but the other works fine. Obviously the presonus universal interface panel won't open and recognize the V Fire, but the driver panel does.

Here's the pros so far....
With the Presonus firewire driver selected in the DAW (Cubase 8.5 in this case), you can route and record 16 V-Fire R-Bus channels in both directions at the same time. I was able to lock up and sync the VS2480 and Cubase through the V Fire and control the transport from either the DAW or the VS2480. I haven't tried it with a varying tempo track yet, but since it locks, loops, and locates with MIDIclock from either system, I don't see an issue with that.

Here's the cons so far...
The V-Fire doesn't show a solid blue lock led, it continues to flash red and blue, and the R Bus leds don't come on. But the DAW sees the V Fire and all of the routing, and the VS2480 locks to R Bus (1 or 2). Other than a blinking light, it functions properly.

The type of firewire card and driver setting in Windows seems to have something to do with the V Fire working or not. The firewire/USB combo card seems to work like a charm.

The Universal driver panel lets you change frequency (44, 48, etc), but it doesn't seem to have an effect on the V Fire. By default, the V Fire is set to 48K and I couldn't find a way to change that (yet). If you are playing a 44.1K recording in the DAW, as soon as you lock up through the V Fire, it will play back faster (thinking it should be running at 48k). The VS2480 doesn't seem to care, it just follows along. Setting the DAW project and the VS2480 to 48k works perfect with the V Fire.

That's about it for now.....

You want me to do WHAT with THAT?

#1452066 - 03/02/16 04:19 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
Very cool! Thanks for posting!

Starliner

#1452260 - 03/03/16 07:24 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: Starliner]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

Update.... I re-installed the latest presonus universal driver and it works better the second time around. The driver panel now works fine and allows you to change the frequency of the V-Fire. The V-Fire locks up and shows a solid blue led now. The R-Bus leds on the V-Fire still don't light up (so far), but they have no effect anyway. The rest of the functions (signal routing and sync functions) work fine.

#1452270 - 03/03/16 08:05 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
dkfackler Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Coventry, OH, planet Thulcandr...
Do you have transport/pan/fader, etc.?

dk

#1452275 - 03/03/16 09:03 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: dkfackler]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

Initially, the basic idea was to get the V Fire to actually work with Win7-64 and have the DAW recognize the R Bus routing (16 channels in and out at the same time) and sync the transport. That seems to be a success so far.

As for using the VS as a control surface for the DAW (faders, pan, etc), through the V Fire, that's on the to-do list for today.

#1452429 - 03/04/16 07:12 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
Winerz Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Hastings, UK
No way that's amazing! Bear you are like the perennial giver of gifts \:\)

#1452490 - 03/05/16 02:40 AM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: Winerz]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

Aww... jeezzz... shucks.... Thanks.... ha ha!

Update:
I couldn't get the control surface to work today (yet). Transport, yes, faders and knobs, not yet. It wants to work, it's registering the MIDI transmit, but I just can't get it to move anything. I don't have it all dialed in properly. MIDI stuff isn't always kind to me. To be continued.

If you like gifts, you might just like this one too....

Check out the post about how to format an 80 gig hard drive in the VS2480 in about a minute. I do this to clear off/ reformat 4 drives at a time....

It's sort of a cool time saver.... but what do I know?

#1452595 - 03/05/16 05:55 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
Frank Griffith Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 300
Planeteer

Loc: "All Be Quirky", NM
I found your post, seems like a good way to format the HD outside the VS. I know you can do a quick format that takes a few minutes inside the VS, but I would only do that if the drive had been thru the long format before and not full of projects.
Frank

Edited by Frank Griffith (03/05/16 06:32 PM)
VS2480DVD,3-VS8F-2/1-VS8F-3 & 5 plugins+Auto-Tune,MassHiRes EQ,UA Bundle,Chrometone,Soundblender/TC Reverb,T-Racks.Dyns BM5A's,Roland DS50A's,M-Audio 2.1,PreSonus TubePre w/Rode NT1000,SM57&58,MXL V57&V67,B-5,XV5050,Yamaha P200,Oxygen8 V2,Behring V-amps,SansAmp DI, Taylor,Gibsons,Fender,Ric,Washburn Bass.2 RPC-1's,PC Sonar 4, Acid 5, Wavelab etc.

#1452616 - 03/05/16 06:40 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: Frank Griffith]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

Hey Frank
Look at the other post called "Dust off your hard drives"...

I have another doc I put together about how to recover and rebuild projects from a VS drive that loses it's mind. If I can't find it, I'll re-write it and post it. It was a lot harder and time consuming to do years ago, but it can be done pretty quickly these days.... stay tuned.

#1452621 - 03/05/16 06:46 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
Frank Griffith Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 300
Planeteer

It's always good to have new info here for all to have access too.
Keep on postin'
VS2480DVD,3-VS8F-2/1-VS8F-3 & 5 plugins+Auto-Tune,MassHiRes EQ,UA Bundle,Chrometone,Soundblender/TC Reverb,T-Racks.Dyns BM5A's,Roland DS50A's,M-Audio 2.1,PreSonus TubePre w/Rode NT1000,SM57&58,MXL V57&V67,B-5,XV5050,Yamaha P200,Oxygen8 V2,Behring V-amps,SansAmp DI, Taylor,Gibsons,Fender,Ric,Washburn Bass.2 RPC-1's,PC Sonar 4, Acid 5, Wavelab etc.

#1453441 - 03/09/16 05:28 AM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: Frank Griffith]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

Update:
Well, that concludes my testing of the whole V Fire thing on a Windows 7 64 system. I haven't tested it on Windows 10 yet, but I'm sure someone else will or already has by now.....

Here is what you'll need

(1) V Fire
That and a firewire cable, a cheap firewire computer card, and a couple of R Bus cables.
If you don't have R Bus cables, any DB25 straight through cable will do. Look for old printer cables from a surplus store or a garage sale.... but test the pins before you spend 50 cents or more on a cool looking cable.

(2) Presonus Universal Control driver
Download the driver and make sure its installed properly. Open the driver panel and make sure it recognizes the V Fire (the blue led will be solid). I used the Windows driver, I did not test the Mac driver. You can download it from here (this is the one I used).
http://www.presonus.com/support/downloads/FireStudio-Project

Optional:
(3) VS2480 Control Surface Driver (V-Fader feature)
This is a pretty old driver but it works. You just load it in as a template for a generic controller in the DAW devices. The VS2480 V-Fader option works through the V Fire but it isn't necessary since it also works through a regular MIDI connection..
http://www.roland.com/support/by_product/vs-2480/updates_drivers/

Conclusions.... The V Fire definitely works with Windows 7 64.
You can transfer all 16 R Bus channels in both directions at the same time. You can switch sample rates (I tested 48, and 44) and change latency. You can control the DAW, or the DAW can control the VS transport sync with MIDI through the V Fire. In V-Fader mode, with the template/driver installed, you can control a few things in the DAW from the VS. Is the VS control surface great? Nope. It was underdeveloped in the beginning and never updated. It's limited and gets bitchy when you try to change things. If you want to control the basics in a DAW for almost free, get something like the Korg nanoKontrol2 for 50 bucks and be done with it. The VS V-Fader is too much work for too few features (but for those who just have to try it, knock yourself out). The VS2480 works best as a stand alone "Bob's Mercantile Exchange and Emporium" all-in-one recording studio experience. If you need the VS2480 to interact with a DAW, it's best to stick with streaming live (or recorded) signals in/ out/ or through the VS, or transferring tracks back and forth, and controlling the transport. The V Fire will (now) do this (again) on Win 7.

#1453450 - 03/09/16 07:19 AM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
RBUS cables are NOT straight through DB25. They cross over several pairs of connectors.
#1453584 - 03/09/16 08:44 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: bear]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

[/i]RBUS cables are NOT straight through DB25. They cross over several pairs of connectors.[i]

Now that may be true on the circuit.... but it would be terribly irresponsible of me to suggest using a physical straight through cable between physical R Bus devices, without first mapping, testing, and confirming the pin configuration of the cable and attached devices. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say.....

The only difference between the straight cable and the R Bus cable is:
The straight cable is wired to use all 25 pins
The R Bus cable does not use pin 7

#1453657 - 03/10/16 01:17 AM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
bear Offline
Planeteer

I am not sure what you are measuring - but a straight through cable will NOT work as an RBUS cable - a rbus cable is wired like this

#1453686 - 03/10/16 03:15 AM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: bear]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

Nice picture you have there. I'm sure yours works great on whatever you used it for.
You said the R Bus cable is NOT a straight through.

I say "YES" the R Bus cable is a straight through.
Feel free to test an actual R Bus cable and find out.
The following is the actual R Bus pin configuration coming out of the VS2480.

As usual, a little drama makes everything so much more interesting.......

#1453721 - 03/10/16 10:07 AM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
Winerz Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Hastings, UK
BEAR FIGHT!

There's only room for one bear in this neck of the woods.

(By the way I finally tested my V Fire last night on my 64 bit Windows 7 laptop and it works great, so thanks again for the tip off.)

Edited by Winerz (03/10/16 10:10 AM)

#1453812 - 03/10/16 06:39 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: Winerz]
bear Offline
Planeteer

No fight here - do what you wish (but I am right... a straight through 25 pin cable that hooks 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc will NOT work as an RBUS cable)

Anybody is totally free to try whatever they wish... i have nothing more to say on the subject

#1453821 - 03/10/16 07:22 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: bear]
Frank Griffith Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 300
Planeteer

It's all part of Roland being so proprietary with their stuff that they even made sure you had to buy special cables for R-Bus as well, IMO.

#1453846 - 03/10/16 10:00 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
FalconEddy Online   content
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Loc: Litchfield, NH, USA
 Originally Posted By: BearM
Aww... jeezzz... shucks.... Thanks.... ha ha!

Update:
I couldn't get the control surface to work today (yet). Transport, yes, faders and knobs, not yet. It wants to work, it's registering the MIDI transmit, but I just can't get it to move anything. I don't have it all dialed in properly. MIDI stuff isn't always kind to me. To be continued.

If you like gifts, you might just like this one too....

Check out the post about how to format an 80 gig hard drive in the VS2480 in about a minute. I do this to clear off/ reformat 4 drives at a time....

It's sort of a cool time saver .... but what do I know?

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, BearM, that's like, uhhhh, MY catch phrase, 'ya know.

Not patent pending, or anything like that; but still....geesh!

Respect between engineers at least, right?

\:D

. . Falcon

#1453873 - 03/10/16 11:36 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: FalconEddy]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

I'm so happy to see everyone hooked up their V Fires and got back to work..... What? Not enough drama in some people's lives?

No fight here either. I don't do the zoo bear thing anyway....

I'm sure bear is still misguided about what a straight through "cable" is (you could have just asked for an explanation if the nomenclature escapes you, or you could just test an R Bus cable to find out), and based on his concept of pin to pin rhetoric, I wouldn't use his idea of that kind of cable either. So, I have no problem agreeing that he is right, that his explanation of pin to pin will NOT work. That's not how an R bus cable is wired anyway....

Clearly bear is talented at what he does, and his ability to make his gadgets work is a value to all of us. I have his R bus to Adat converter and I use it. I appreciate that he took the time and expense to make it happen, and I can confirm that it works without issue. I even privately offered to get behind and help finance his R Bus to USB project, but he has never responded (and he doesn't have to either). And since he has decided there is a lack of interest for such a thing, it looks like that device will not be coming to a theater near you any time soon.

And that's when I started poking around with the V Fire again, because I do have a need for such a device, as I know many others do as well. All I did was take an existing device and find a way to make it work again. Then I posted my findings here at the Planet (where people tend to have and use this kind of device), so others could once again make use of their (previously) obsolete gear. Nothing special about any of this. I'm sure someone else has already figured this stuff out long before I got around to it. I do not design gadgets, and I have no time or interest in doing that kind of thing either. However, I do take what already exists, find a way to make it work, plug it in, and use it.

I did not build any of the VS gear (nor did I design or build any of the cables that connect it all together). It is what it is... And, I did not post this information here looking for recognition or payment for my time (I'm not a zoo bear). It's all for "free." So take the information and go forth and multiply, or don't. This information is about making the V Fire work with Windows 7 64. It shouldn't be about a cable. But way to go, make a non issue into an issue.... for drama effect.

#1453875 - 03/10/16 11:55 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

Hey Falcon...

Been a long time. I try to pop in every once in while and sift through what's happening and keep in touch with some of the old guard....

As for the catch phrases, didn't we all agree a long time ago that I would alternate between "Just sayin'" and "But what do I know?" ....

These things are right up there with parallel compression and moving the mic 2 inches to the left..... ha ha!

Ya, respect between engineers (why is it again, that drummers always hang out with engineers?).

#1454140 - 03/12/16 02:27 AM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
fngrstck1 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Cleveland
Check this out. Just ran across this.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=157801&highlight=vs-2480

#1455603 - 03/18/16 04:15 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: fngrstck1]
cp1 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Pennsylvania
Dont know what I did but I now have my V-Fire sending 16 channels from my 2480 to my Mac Pro running 32 bit Snow Leopard and Logic Pro 9. I also have two Presonus FireStudio Projects in the chain too. The problem that I am having right now is that when I have the V-Fire in the chain, I have no audio going to my studio mains or monitors. As soon as i take the V-fire out of the link then my mains and monitors fire up. I believe that this may have something to do with the midi utility in OS X but not sure. Im new to the Mac scene and was in the process of transferring everything over to the Mac but not am able to link so not sure as to what I'm going to do yet. Might keep the Roland and run both.

#1455884 - 03/19/16 04:50 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: cp1]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

The simple answer is, you can only have one audio interface communicating with the DAW at time. When the V Fire (and the VS2480) is selected, think of the VS2480 as your audio interface. You have to monitor from the VS2480.

#1455942 - 03/19/16 08:11 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
cp1 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Pennsylvania
Even though I can record from both at the same time in the Mac?

#1456151 - 03/20/16 05:47 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: cp1]
BearM Offline
Mr
Planeteer

I don't use a Presonus interface, Logic, or Mac (I can't be much help with any of that). But I did read that someone around here got the V Fire to work with a Mac, so maybe they will jump in and be of some help in that department.

The V Fire is basically just a one-for-one digital converter, it doesn't do much else. Roland could have added firewire to the VS2480 for less than a dollar. Presonus came up with a $300 alternative (wasn't that nice of them?). But keep in mind that the V Fire is not supposed to work (with the latest equipment), since there are no current drivers. Since the current universal driver does allow it to work, I'd say that's a pretty good compromise. All you can do is experiment to see what it will or will not do.
It is what it is......

#1456698 - 03/22/16 04:22 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
JazAddict Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The West Coast of Florida
Damn....gave my vfire away after BSD failures prevailed.

Coolio thread

#1464954 - 05/02/16 04:40 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: JazAddict]
EssOhEss Offline
Planeteer

is the v-fire a computer controlled doohickey that allows external firewire preamps and converters to send audio in/out of the 2480? is so, sounds like a turbo charged DIF-AT or AE-7000. says right on the presonus "features" page: "dual FireWire ports for connecting other FireWire Devices"
#1464995 - 05/02/16 06:42 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: EssOhEss]
SteveDWalker Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Clearwater
V-Fire was a great idea but sadly Presonus only support Windows XP drivers rendering the unit useless for me.

Roland V-Studio 100, Sonar Platinum, VS-2480HD, M-Audio, Korg,Alesis, Audix, Shure, Mackie, JBL, EV, Taylor, Gibson, Ovation, Ephiphone, Ibanez, Fender, Sunn 2000S

#1492205 - 09/05/16 12:47 AM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: BearM]
RickD Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Prague, Czech Republic & Guana...
 Originally Posted By: BearM
It's nothing too glamorous at the moment, but for those looking to put their old V-Fire paperweights back into service, I managed to get it to work on a Windows 7 64 bit system (it should work on 8 through 10 but if you run a Mac, you're on your own). I was randomly trying Presonus firewire drivers and came across one that actually works. It's their Universal Control 1.7.2. I have no idea what it's supposed to work with since I don't use a Presonus interface. I use two different firewire cards, one wants nothing to do with it, but the other works fine. Obviously the presonus universal interface panel won't open and recognize the V Fire, but the driver panel does.

Here's the pros so far....
With the Presonus firewire driver selected in the DAW (Cubase 8.5 in this case), you can route and record 16 V-Fire R-Bus channels in both directions at the same time. I was able to lock up and sync the VS2480 and Cubase through the V Fire and control the transport from either the DAW or the VS2480. I haven't tried it with a varying tempo track yet, but since it locks, loops, and locates with MIDIclock from either system, I don't see an issue with that.

Here's the cons so far...
The V-Fire doesn't show a solid blue lock led, it continues to flash red and blue, and the R Bus leds don't come on. But the DAW sees the V Fire and all of the routing, and the VS2480 locks to R Bus (1 or 2). Other than a blinking light, it functions properly.

The type of firewire card and driver setting in Windows seems to have something to do with the V Fire working or not. The firewire/USB combo card seems to work like a charm.

The Universal driver panel lets you change frequency (44, 48, etc), but it doesn't seem to have an effect on the V Fire. By default, the V Fire is set to 48K and I couldn't find a way to change that (yet). If you are playing a 44.1K recording in the DAW, as soon as you lock up through the V Fire, it will play back faster (thinking it should be running at 48k). The VS2480 doesn't seem to care, it just follows along. Setting the DAW project and the VS2480 to 48k works perfect with the V Fire.

That's about it for now.....

Many thanks for that, exactly what i was looking for! :-)

All the best,

- VS-2480CD v2.505 with 2x 'two' cards + 2x 'three' cards + all plug-ins + Meter bridge
- Converted to DVD with a UJ-860 + SSD with a Samsung EVO 860 250GB
- JBL LSR308 monitors
The rest of my gear :
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/29885/products/

#1492207 - 09/05/16 12:51 AM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: SteveDWalker]
RickD Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: SteveDWalker
V-Fire was a great idea but sadly Presonus only support Windows XP drivers rendering the unit useless for me.

I think you didn't read the thread.
The first post in this thread says precisely that it DOES work with Windows 7 x64 and possibly later versions.

- VS-2480CD v2.505 with 2x 'two' cards + 2x 'three' cards + all plug-ins + Meter bridge
- JBL LSR308 monitors
The rest of my gear :

#1492210 - 09/05/16 12:53 AM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: RickD]
RickD Offline
Planeteer

I have looked around.
Can anyone confirm that this is the latest version of the Universal Control drivers by Presonus ? (v1.7.2)
http://www.presonus.com/press/press-releases/Universal-Control-172 http://www.presonus.com/press/press-releases/Universal-Control-172

Thanks ?

EDIT :
The link on that page does not work.
But i found a link to version 1.7.4 here :
http://www.presonus.com/support/downloads/StudioLive-16.0.2 http://www.presonus.com/support/downloads/StudioLive-16.0.2

Edited by RickD (09/05/16 12:56 AM)

- JBL LSR308 monitors
The rest of my gear :

#1492283 - 09/05/16 08:00 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: RickD]
blair Offline
Planeteer

Gerry is that you old buddy :-)
#1655318 - 04/28/20 07:39 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: blair]
paardebloem Offline
Space Cadet

For shits and giggles I bought myself a NOS V-Fire based on this reading.
Tried it on my Win10 HP 8470p with build in internal FW without succes.
Than I tried with a Belkin FW800 express card. Again no succes, however I still think it will work as long as the firewire adapter on your win10 works

Than I tried it on a MacBook pro from my gf with FW800 and Mojave installed.
Bingo! My VM3100Pro locked to the R-Bus and worked like a charm!
No blinking red/blue but a steady blue light!
My guts feeling tells me it will work the same with Catalina.
I followed the instructions decribed above and downloaded the drivers for mac.

I never used the R-bus on my mixer because I didn't have some kind of interface, but in conjunction with a v-fire I think both are still the bees knees and the nits tits.(As far as I can judge it)

So yes! Definitely dust off your V-Fire

Can anybody tell me where I can find information how to use those r-bus I/Os from the daw and to the daw?
Im an VS and sp808 user and this is new stuff for me.
A simple interface for a daw is no problem but this is different stuff

Edited by paardebloem (04/28/20 07:40 PM)

#1656325 - 05/04/20 03:46 PM Re: Dust off your V-Fire.... [Re: paardebloem]
Steve Phillips Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Smiths Falls, Ontario, Canada
TLDR but I just wanted to say that I have been using it on both 32 and 64 Windows 10. I mainly use it on Win 10 32. I previously used it on Win 7 32.

So I don't need to duct it off as it has always worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159757 Topics
1849638 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.07 seconds in which 0.038 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.