Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#1498314 - 10/15/16 07:03 AM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: Ptr]
paterkarma Offline
Space Cadet

Hi everybody,

after some problems with my windows 10 i managed finally to run the VSWE-Tool. The problem was a missing MSCOMCTL.ocx file.
Here is how to fix that problem:

http://ridilabs.net/post/2016/05/15/Missing-MSCOMCTLocx-on-Windows-10.aspx

After doing these steps it finally worked. As said before you have to run it at an administrator (right mouse button opens selection). After opening the VSWE my VS1680 Harddisc appeared, and I could select the Projects. I had two of them, one single song, which indeed was easy to export. The Problem was the second Project, which is a long recording session (about 1:40h). When I tried to export the files, the following error was displayed:

Runtime-error '9'
Subscript out of range

Has anyone an idea how to fix this problem?

Thanx!

#1498341 - 10/15/16 03:22 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: paterkarma]
uptildawn Online   content
Planeteer

Loc: on land
I don't understand error codes and specifically how to diagnose or fix them... but from what I could gather from a google search, it appears that there could be some file corruption....

I was going to suggest a way that you could trim down the long length of the song in question - and that still might be helpful - but after reading some of the search results (all having to do with Visual Basics and Excel spreadsheets), I don't know that the problem is the length of the tracks.

Still, it might not hurt to chop those long tracks into shorter sections... and it may accomplish the problem with possible corruption at the same time.

I used to deal with pretty long tracks on the 1680 a lot from recording live events - not usually a single recording that was so long as yours is though. hour long tracks were not out of the question for me.

Maybe your project isn't 1.40-long tracks, but maybe takes up an 1.40 in total length - you don't say. You also don't say how large your card is. You may need to delete some stuff to make room, depending on how much free space you have.

I would suggest that you load the project back up in the 1680 and then do one or more of the following to make it more manageable and fix corrupted data at the same time.

1- Use Song Copy Playable to create a second copy of the entire project. In fact, make two copies if you have the space... see #4 below for more details. You probably would have to do this to a different partition, given the 2GB partition size limit of the 1680, but I would make it to a different partition even if that wasn't the case.

2- The copy could also end up pointing to the same corrupted data (or maybe the pointer links themselves are the corruption, if there is any). To try and resolve this issue of data corruption, I would run Drive Check. Drive Check will search for any issues with the data and want to fix them - The scary part of this process is that "fixing" corrupted data to the VS is to delete the corrupted data, so there's a risk that the data deleted may contain important track information - but Roland explains that since the data is corrupted it doesn't matter, because you'd lose it anyway - I don't agree, if it's able to play through the data, because that gives a person the chance to re-record it through bouncing, or to an outboard recorder.... but that's the way the VS handles things.

In my own experience, Drive Check has mostly fixed problems that didn't involve the track data itself, but there have been a few times when I lost a portion of music I actually wanted (sometimes the corrupted track data can be something you've recorded over, but not eliminated from the project).

3- That brings up another possible solution - Song Optimize. If you're pretty sure that you don't need any data that you may have recorded over during the course of the project, assuming that the project was recorded in steps and not all in one giant time period, then for sure do a Song Optimize - in fact do that before you make a Song Copy Playable, if you want. I often leave old track data in my backups because I have found a reason or two to go back through the Undo Levels to pull up that stuff and re-copy it to a spare v-track to add to the last version of the song. But Song Optimize is one sure way to remove any unnecessary data connected to the Song File.

4- Assuming you have made a recording that is indeed 1.40 in length as the result of one long unending session, then use the Song Copy Playable method I mentioned at the top of this to create a total of two shorter sessions. Go to the Copied project file and use Track Cut across all of the tracks at once and cut out everything from Zero to roughly midway through the timeline - using an exact amount can be very helpful here - say, in a 2-hour recording, choosing exactly 1-hour in will assure that your other copy will exactly match after trimming it out too. That would be "01h00m,00s,00f,00 001-1".

The Cut operation will move everything from that time to the end of the project all the way back to Zero, shortening the length of the project by half. Be sure to cut across ALL tracks together, including v-tracks, if there's any chance there could be data on them. Also use your Shift/>> (FF/Song End) button combo to zip to the end of the file to be sure it ends at the end of the recorded tracks and not at some marker out beyond the end, unless the marker is necessary for a fade or something you've planned. If it goes well beyond the end of what you need, then use Track Cut again to delete that unneeded space and delete any Tap Markers that might be past the end of the tracks too.

5- Now go to the second copy, or the original copy, and use Track Cut on this file to chop everything from that previously chosen time to the end of the song.

In both files, be sure to use Song Optimize after you've double checked your edits so that you haven't lost anything you need. Optimize will delete any pointers to unneeded data in those copies and reduce the size of the projects accordingly.

If you actually made two copies of the original, you can leave the original on the card for safe keeping, until you've successfully exported .wav files from the two copies onto the PC. You can re-stitch the full length of the original recording on the PC, once you exported the tracks to .wav files and the edit should be seamless. If for some reason there might be an audible glitch (I don't see why there would be), you can trim that out by zooming into the sample level in the daw you're using and making a precision edit or simply adding a tiny crossfade at the seam.

sorry this is so long. I'm trying to cover anything I can think of.

Maybe somebody else has a shorter, more direct option.

Edited by uptildawn (10/15/16 03:28 PM)

#1498683 - 10/18/16 08:55 AM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: uptildawn]
paterkarma Offline
Space Cadet

Thank you for your help!
I tried some of these options, and I think you were right, there was a disk error. I ran Drive Check, it fixed the error. Unfortunately without succes, the runtime error was still there. Song optimize didnīt help either. I cut off the end of the recording session (where I supposed the drive error to be). No chance. Another problem was that there was not enough disc space available, since itīs an 2GB Harddisc. Finally I made the ultimate mistake: I allowed Windows 10, which always complained there was a drive error, to fix that problem. Well, in a way it really solved my problem: The data was unreadable then.

NEVER ALLOW WINDOWS 10 TO REPAIR THE ROLAND FORMATTED DISK!

After that I had to give up all the data. Never mind. I hope in future there will be none such problem anymore.

#1498690 - 10/18/16 01:25 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: paterkarma]
Planeteer

It's a pity you couldn't have tried the main suggestion of cutting the tracks in two (or more) because of your hard drive size. Are you certain that it's only a 2GB hd? I realize that many VS recorders were sold with just such a drive, but it would be a shame to have been limited by such a thing after so many years.

You might want to double check the actual size of your hd, in case you were mistaken - people have also not realized they had more than the one 2GB partition before. The VS-1680 can handle up to 16+GB (2GB x 8 partitions)..... many people would have upgraded their 1680s to hold a 20GB........ but I suppose maybe yours is not one of those (since you mentioned your trusty dustcovered 1680 in your first post and I assume that meant you'd had it for a long time yourself.

In the future, I strongly suggest that you do at least two things:

1- buy at least one more hd of at least 4GB in size (20GB is probably the most available size these days) to keep as a spare - forget about trying to acquire the caddy to hold the drive and just plan on swapping the existing caddy, unless you have been extremely lucky and happen to have more than one on hand.

2- start using an external destination to perform backups, so that you stand a much greater chance of retaining at least one copy of your recordings. The 1680 uses its SCSI port for external devices. For Song Copy Playables (the most useful outside of the CD backups, in my opinion), those options would include

1- an external scsi hard drive enclosure with an IDE/SCSI/SATA hard drive installed (up to 20GB) and the appropriate bridge adapter - getting harder and harder to find at reasonable cost today.

2- An SD/SDHC/CF card solution, with the same availability issues that the hard drive solution has today.

3- VirDis hardware/software kit for PC (PCI and PCIe config. only at this time). This is a great solution for many reasons, but is limited in function with the 1680 - still great for Song Copies and using VSWE to export .wav files. In today's scsi market and its narrow range of useful gear where the VS recorder is concerned, this is certainly a very viable option, cost-wise.

Not preachin', but just sayin' out of concern for your future works.

#1504997 - 11/25/16 06:55 AM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: BluRdrCarl]
Lightning64 Offline
Space Cadet

Hey all
Been using vs880ex with an sd card for the hard drive. The vs wave converter has been working perfectly. Now I have upgraded to a vs1880. Still using the sd card, and yes new sd card formatted by the 1880. Now the wave converter errors out. an output window pops up and says: Entity...
Interesting I had been getting this error all day long. In one of the posts on here it said there was some kind of error about the song name being to long. I shortened the name to just "Song". Low and behold when I went to check what the error said specifically. It now worked as it should have.
Just throwing it out there. Maybe some one wont have to dig so deep for the answer. Awesome converter! Thanks so much for making it. Is there a 1.25 available?

#1505013 - 11/25/16 02:52 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: Lightning64]
Planeteer

Hey, great news Lightning64!
Do you happen to remember what the error message said that began - Entity...?

You might send a PM to Ptr - http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=sendprivate&User=12309

If he still doesn't mind, he may send you a copy of the VSWE 1.25. He's the only one I know that currently has a clean copy and a way to send it.

#1505096 - 11/26/16 01:20 AM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: uptildawn]
Lightning64 Offline
Space Cadet

I have tried a few times to recreate the error so I could say exactly what it said. No luck. I can say it was something out of range so it ignored the track. Wish I could have done more.
Thanks

#1505159 - 11/26/16 02:28 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: uptildawn]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Loc: the Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: uptildawn

You might send a PM to Ptr - http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=sendprivate&User=12309

If he still doesn't mind, he may send you a copy of the VSWE 1.25. He's the only one I know that currently has a clean copy and a way to send it.

I'm fine with that, no problem - just be sure to add an email address to send it to right away, speeds up things.

In addition, for convenience we can try to split the load a bit (and increase response spead; I'm not following this on a daily basis.) So to the people to which I sent it to previously, feel free to forward it as well (I did receive it myself as well, I didn't make that latest version myself) - then we all benefit

--------------------

#1505160 - 11/26/16 02:35 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: Ptr]
Planeteer

I've tried to do that before with the bundle that Bear sent me - even though it was totally 'clean' as far as I could tell (no response at all from multiple anti-virus on my PCs), the bundle would never appear clean to the recipient when I would send it.

I gave up trying to figure out why, or how to work around it.

#1505161 - 11/26/16 02:38 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: uptildawn]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

I've tried to do that before with the bundle that Bear sent me - even though it was totally 'clean' as far as I could tell (no response at all from multiple anti-virus on my PCs), the bundle would never appear clean to the recipient when I would send it.

I gave up trying to figure out why, or how to work around it.

I see, something weird going on there. All I do is to forward an email, happy that my machine/email-account doesn't ruin it.

Bye

--------------------

#1505166 - 11/26/16 03:19 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: Ptr]
Planeteer

Good it works for you... maybe I will try the email forward idea. Downloading from a cloud like Bear did hasn't panned out for me.

#1511430 - 12/30/16 12:29 AM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: uptildawn]
neutron101 Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: West Midlands, U.K.
I'm looking for a copy of CD2Roland.exe that doesn't trigger my antivirus. Can anyone help?
#1511452 - 12/30/16 02:25 AM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: neutron101]
Planeteer

Which version do you have? If it's Cd2Rol022 and if you got it originally from bear, then it's clean for almost certain. Isn't it possible to tell your antivirus to make an exception for that particular file?..... I've never done it - I just always thought I remembered other people doing it. Cd2Rol022 has just always worked on my machines and my antivirus has never bugged me about it.

Personally, I think you be better served to just use VSWE and the Cd2Roland that's built into it...... avoids the need for manually setting up the batch file and the whole dos command thing.

VSWE version 1.25 is floating around here someplace..... wish it and CD2Roland and the Reaper .dll were also being hosted along with Frank's Brown Bag manual for the 2480, etc......... maybe whoever is doing that now would consider adding clean versions of these files for download like the good library used to do. Every effort I've made to help in this respect has ended up hurting me - like losing my dropbox privileges.

Don't know what to say about that, because, as I mentioned, my antivirus has never given me any problems over my use of these tools.

#1511485 - 12/30/16 12:31 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: uptildawn]
neutron101 Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: West Midlands, U.K.
Thanks for the reply uptildawn. I was using VSWE (1.24a), but the antivirus (Avast) was flagging up the CD2Roland part as having malware. I last used this version of VSWE about 12 months ago and didn't have a problem then. There is a method of reporting a false alarm in Avast but it needs some detailed information about the program and it's creator. Anyway I took the plunge this morning and temporarily turned off Avast and everything went fine - tracks now ripped and running in Reaper.
#1511499 - 12/30/16 02:56 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: neutron101]
Planeteer

Glad you figured out how to work around the issue and get your work done.

I'm also still using 1.24a VSWE, as I have for many years, and the antivirus leaves it alone. But I haven't been able to unzip my copy of 1.25. MS Essentials (on this pc) removes the files from the folder as soon as I try to extract from the zipped one.

#1517896 - 02/02/17 08:00 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: uptildawn]
muzikalgeeneeyus Offline
Space Cadet

Hello, has anyone got a copy of the VS WAVE Export they can kindly send to me. I keep getting a message about it containing malware when I try to download it.

It would be most appreciated, thanks in advance.

Cheers, Planeteers

#1563305 - 02/21/18 08:05 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: muzikalgeeneeyus]
adriaanhendrik Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi there,
I'm in with the fun, since a friend of mine managed to lose his songs during backup to CD action on his VS1680.. I would also like a copy of VSWaveExport to check wether his wav's can be saved to PC. Tomorrow he brings his machine to me so please send me a link.
Best Regards to all,

#1563318 - 02/21/18 09:41 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: adriaanhendrik]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Hi,

There's no download-location, we've been distributing it as an email-attachment. Just send a PM with a valid email address.

Bye

#1563622 - 02/23/18 07:52 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: Ptr]
adriaanhendrik Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: The Netherlands
To all,

Thanks to Ptr for sending me the file. Of coarse my Win7 box complained about MSCOMCTL.ocx not beïng installed. That file is for a Win10 64bit system so I searched online for the 32bit version ---> MSCOMCTL32.ocx

I got VSWaveExport working now but only after copying MSCOMCTL32.ocx in my system32 Folder. I had to open the command line editor as Administrator. Then added the MSCOMCTL32.ocx in the register like this:

type in command line: regsvr32 MSCOMCTL32.ocx

After that I could finally run VSWaveExport.
As soon as i have time i'll try to save the wav's from my friend's VS1680 HD --> PC

I 'll keep you posted

Best Regards to all

#1569390 - 04/18/18 06:23 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: bear]
riddick789 Offline
Space Cadet

hello bear... I am looking for vs to pc program... i want to import my roland vs 2400 back to my daw.. could you please help me? thank you so much!
#1571578 - 05/17/18 07:14 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: riddick789]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

Loc: at the wave ranch dressing
Not having any luck at all ... am I missing something?
#1571582 - 05/17/18 08:35 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: FlametopFred]
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: FlametopFred
Not having any luck at all ... am I missing something?

Some people swear by a rabbit's foot - other by four leaf clover... maybe you're not using the right talisman?

#1571803 - 05/20/18 04:08 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: uptildawn]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

ah-ha-ha-ha ... \:\)

seriously though - - I have followed the steps and downloaded all the related files. Can't seem to get things going.

On Windows 7

#1571808 - 05/20/18 05:57 PM Re: 2015 VS Wave Export,VIRdis from 1680 to PC can't find downloads? [Re: FlametopFred]
Planeteer

Still not sure what you're having trouble with. Which files specifically are you trying to work with?

If you are having trouble getting VSWE to work, have you gotten any error messages? Have you tried following this part of the thread?:
 Originally Posted By: adriaanhendrik
To all,

Thanks to Ptr for sending me the file. Of coarse my Win7 box complained about MSCOMCTL.ocx not beïng installed. That file is for a Win10 64bit system so I searched online for the 32bit version ---> MSCOMCTL32.ocx

I got VSWaveExport working now but only after copying MSCOMCTL32.ocx in my system32 Folder. I had to open the command line editor as Administrator. Then added the MSCOMCTL32.ocx in the register like this:

type in command line: regsvr32 MSCOMCTL32.ocx

After that I could finally run VSWaveExport.
As soon as i have time i'll try to save the wav's from my friend's VS1680 HD --> PC

I 'll keep you posted

Best Regards to all

Are you trying to extract VS data from a backup CD-R using bear's CD2Roland tool?

Are you trying to open a VS backup in Reaper?

You really need to be more specific, or nobody can help you out, Flametop

#1571827 - 05/20/18 10:49 PM How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: uptildawn]
ANAYV Offline
Planeteer

Loc: USA

Are you trying to extract VS data from a backup CD-R using bear's CD2Roland tool?

I am \:\)
How do I do this?

Where to obtain CD2Roland tool?
How to use it?

Thanks!!

ANAYV

#1571833 - 05/21/18 12:13 AM Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: ANAYV]
Planeteer

If you're using VSWE, then the CD2Roland tool is in the Extras menu - Rip from CD (Ctrl+R).

Place the CD backup in the pc's burner tray - make sure that windows doesn't try to do anything with it - close any window that might open and wait for it to stop spinning in the drive.

With VSWE already open, press Ctrl/R, or choose it from the Extras menu.

Make sure your basic file path is right - You can try copying my example here - cd2roland E "D:\Files Audio\Rip0000" - and leaving all the spacing the way it is, only change the drive letters to match your own setup "E" is my burner, "D" is my hd partition label, folder paths are my own choice, but you can use them if you like. The spaces and spacing between text is important - that's why I suggest copying and pasting mine and then modifying the drive letters to suite.

Leave overwrite files each time checked, unless you are ripping a multidisc backup.

Click the Start button - a command window will open showing the progress - if it stops without completing, you won't see a long list of files being written and it either means the backup cd has a problem, it isn't finalized, it isn't a backup cd, or it's in a record mode that the ripper won't rip.

The ripper will rip each song of a multi-song disc into a series of folders with the name SONG1, SONG2, SONG3, etc., according to how the VS has them numbered. It ignores actual song titles, although the title shows up in a txt file inside the folder. In fact, if you hover your mouse over a folder for a second, you will see a short list starting with Eventlist.VR6 (VR6 is a 1680 file - yours may be different), and followed by the Song Title.txt.... and then some others.

Right after I rip a CD, I go to the rip folder and give each SONGx folder its proper name - whatever name I see after Eventlist.VR6. This is important, because you don't want the next CD you rip to overwrite files in folders with the same generic SONG1, SONG2, etc., names.

Once you have a disc ripped, the songs are all displayed in VSWE's main window... with their proper titles listed and record mode. You could also name your rip folders from that list of titles.

Once you have the SONG folders renamed, you can use VSWE to extract wav files and have them drop right into the rip folders that go with their SONG title by simply browsing to the Export To folder you want - in my case, the basic folder I always rip to is: D:\Files Audio\Rip0000\ - I type in the song title I gave the rip folder after that last backslash - in my case I might have ripped a song called DroneGroove, so I would make the export destination folder path as follows:
D:\Files Audio\Rip0000\DroneGroove.

A nice helpful feature also allows you to simply give a title for the last folder that doesn't exist and VSWE will offer to create it for you.

Sometimes VSWE will give you error messages while exporting, or when you highlight a song in the main window list. Basically, all you can do is make a mental note of it, or forget it and proceed. You can check each wav file after the export is completed to see if you detect any problems. Once in a while I would get wav files with zero bytes for size - and there would be nothing to play. I discovered that if/when that happens, I can go back and cherry pick just those tracks and export them again and usually the problem is solved. I also delete the zero byte files before exporting those tracks again, just to safeguard a potential issue in overwriting.

Anyway, this is really long, but I just feel like the process should be made clear to avoid frustration if things go weird.

Edited by uptildawn (05/21/18 12:50 AM)

#1571848 - 05/21/18 01:24 PM Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: uptildawn]
ANAYV Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for the detailed info Dan!

Don't have vswe. Is that needed too ?
Sorry if dumb question

ANAYV

#1571849 - 05/21/18 02:37 PM Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: ANAYV]
Planeteer

Let me look up my notes later today. I will post back when I have some solid info.

#1571954 - 05/22/18 03:38 PM Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: uptildawn]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

Yes please, and thank you, uptildawn ...

maybe a new set of instructions are needed? Like, do I still need Reaper?

#1572037 - 05/22/18 10:47 PM Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: FlametopFred]
Planeteer

By far, the simple method in my opinion would be to use VSWE to access the CD2Roland CD ripper tool, because all the DOS command stuff is taken care of automatically.

Otherwise, it's possible to create the instructions in the form of a text file (a .bat file) that tells the computer how to search the backup CD and extract the VS data. But it stays in a form that is not useable by Windows. You still either need VSWE to extract .wav files from the VS TAKE files, or you need Reaper and the special .dll file that allows it to open the ripped VS Song file and display the TAKE files as tracks, similar to how the VS does. From there, you either continue to work in Reaper, or you have to render .wav (or mp3) files from each track.

I haven't found my instruction on creating the .bat file yet, but I will when I'm not so tired.

#1572059 - 05/23/18 03:06 AM Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: uptildawn]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

ok let me try the VSWE method... I think I may have crossed the streams on the two methods ...
#1572061 - 05/23/18 03:38 AM Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: FlametopFred]
Planeteer

Guess what I found!

Create a BAT ripper file for VS rips

CREATING A .BAT FILE:

1. Open Windows Notepad.

2. Type cd2roland followed by your pc's cd drive letter: For example, if the drive letter is E, type:

cd2roland e

3. Click File > Save As... then type rip.bat and press ENTER. (You just created a .bat file. Now the following is what to do with it.)

4. Place your newly created .bat file in the "test" folder you made earlier.

5. Copy the cd2roland file into the "test" folder along with the bat file. Close the folder.

6. Right click on your desktop and select New > Shortcut. Click "Browse" and navigate your way to the "test" folder and select the "rip.bat" file and press ENTER. Rename the desktop shortcut whatever you like such as, "VS Tracks Ripper."

You're done! You have now created a .bat file and a shortcut to it on your desktop. Put a Roland backup cd in your cd drive and double click on the "VS Tracks Ripper" icon on your desktop and watch the magic begin.

***VERY IMPORTANT*** Be sure to move all files from the test folder (except for the .bat and cd2roland) to a new folder BEFORE starting a new ripping process. Otherwise all your song files will get mixed together and will cause you major problems.

This is the instructions I got about 5 years ago and used for about 6 months, before getting VSWE with the ripper included in it. So, if a person wants to, they can use this .bat file method to simply rip the VS backup CD-Rs onto their PC (no mac).

From there, the idea was probably to use the special plug-in designed to install into Reaper's FX folder, so that the VS Songs could be opened in Reaper and worked on and/or to render .wav or .mp3 files through Reaper.

So there's a possible method a person can use to bypass the missing file message you can get with VSWE....... still need that special .dll file for Reaper, though. I do believe that if the goodlibrary.com link is available, that it should be a clean download and I'm almost certain that .dll file is on that website still.

Another note that should be headed, or at least saved for some future reference is the info I also found tonight about ripping multi-disc backups from the VS. These have been problematic when trying to reload into the VS...... especially for me, but I think it's widely an issue. The ripper can do the multi-discs, but special precautions and procedures need to be followed. Read on:

Multi-Disc Backup Rip:
For multiple disc backups I really suggest running the ripper standalone as opposed to invoking it from VSWE.

Make a directory. Put the cd2roland.exe in it. Make a batch file to invoke it.

Then run the multiple backup set IN ORDER and all from inside this directory. The files will all rip into a SONG folder.

After all discs ripped, you can then open them in VSWE by dragging the SONG.VR1 file into the dialog box.

#1572062 - 05/23/18 03:43 AM Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: uptildawn]
Planeteer

And if you really want to understand this thing at a deeper level, so as to maybe grasp the complexities involved with these attempts to make the VS compatible with a PC, read this I got in a reply from bear some years back:

The format of the data on the CD-r is a very strange jumble of binary data that has nothing to do with data files or structures or FAT tables or anything - they are just a stream of data bytes. Lucky there are enough ASCII strings buried in it that I was able to figure out where to strip stuff out to make the eventlist and song and take files. Different data blocks inside the data have header fields that link different data blocks that have event info or take info together in a song.

I have never even tried to figure out how you make a iso image of the data needed to import back into the VS. It would be really tough. The cd2roland program makes an image of this data from the cd-r to the harddrive similar to an .iso file - just all the raw bytes in order - then runs an algorithm that searches for certain ASCII text strings in the data that indicate what is in the chunk beiung examined. It then bundles these data chunks into files that a file system on the PC can see. Then the reaper dll or the VSWE program takes the binary data in these files and un-RDACS them and packs them into files with the proper header to make wavs.

A song copied playable to a hard drive has a file structure (using a slightly modified FAT-16 file system) with the eventlist, song and take files, along with several other files that describe the machine routine, efx setup etc. The data from these other files are all on the cd-r also but are not needed for conversion to wav or import into reaper so I don't bother to strip them out. Since these are all in file structures the VS can read them back in.

The .bin files in virdis are images of a FAT-16 file structure, just as if you were doing a song copy to a external drive and so can be accessed both directions, just as if you were looking at a local scsi harddrive hooked to the VS.

The format of the data in the .bin files from VIRDIS are NOT the same as the data on a cd-r.

That's all for now.
It might be a good idea if this information specific to VSWE, the CD2Roland Ripper and probably the Reaper .dll was put in a new sticky with as much current info about the basics of using these tools as possible. I realize it's scattered all around the 880, 1680 and 2480 forums, but it seems that there is no one place where a solid set of install and usage instructions is located - especially with the Funkybeat's thread being more than 16 pages long and most links being no good anymore.

So if somebody reads this that can post sticky threads and cares to follow up, I think it would be worth the effort.

#1572166 - 05/24/18 10:21 AM Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: uptildawn]
ANAYV Offline
Planeteer

Thanks so much for all this info, Dan!!!
Can't wait to try this out ( this Saturday).

I must say thus.....I was soooo glad when I decided to upgrade my VS1880 to 1824CD...that YOU were still here...and...as usual...still helping so many, like me.

I pray it comes back to you , in good health, peace, joy and making music!

ANAYV

#1572194 - 05/24/18 03:19 PM Re: How do I copy Backup CD's from VS1824 to my PC ?? [Re: ANAYV]
Planeteer

I appreciate the sentiment and the props!
Hope it all pans out without a hitch on Saturday.

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
String Jammer
Xenophile
Dave Morris
T57Strat
slotz
GAMBLE
Jammer
Liquidirt
SteveW
JazAddict
motown59
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159732 Topics
1849450 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.022 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.