Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1530400 - 05/13/17 05:51 AM The Helix LT is NOT going back!
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
Wow.

This little bugger is incredible. I just used it tonight for the first time on a gig, and it just rocked. More later.

#1530411 - 05/13/17 01:52 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
guitartb Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Over here
Are you using it direct, or with an amp?
#1530412 - 05/13/17 02:32 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: guitartb]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Last night I used it with my tiny Vox Valvetronix 20+. I set up the Helix pretty much like a traditional pedal board, with no amp or cab sims. I set the Vox on top of a road case, miked it up, and rocked out \:D

#1530418 - 05/13/17 05:26 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
Liquidirt Offline
Planet Dirtball
Planeteer

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Wow!! I knew you'd love it, even if it's not the big daddy. The Helix from Line 6 has come a long way from the pod. Boss was ahead for a while on pedals. I think the G-3 came out about the same time the Pod came out. The G-3 had way better adjustments on all the effects then the pod.

#1530465 - 05/14/17 02:50 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Liquidirt]
Chimp Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Overland Park
Why is this better than your GT - whatever model you have now?

#1530466 - 05/14/17 03:17 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Chimp]
Liquidirt Offline
Planet Dirtball
Planeteer

I doubt it is better than what I have. VG-88 is what I have and haven't seen anything come close to it, but you have to use a GK pickup.

#1530470 - 05/14/17 04:57 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Liquidirt]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun

Edited by MadGuitrst (06/01/17 05:34 PM)

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1530471 - 05/14/17 05:03 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Liquidirt]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Liquidirt
but you have to use a GK pickup.

Only for the emulations.

If you want to use it like a pedal board, you can just use a 1/4" jack.

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1530477 - 05/14/17 06:14 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Chimp]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Chimp
Why is this better than your GT - whatever model you have now?
I have been using the GT-10 for a good long time now. The sounds on the Helix are much more realistic, but of course there's about 7 years improvement in technology.

There are a LOT more choices per patch. For instance, the GT-10 has two "CTL" switches on it, which let me kick in two modifiers to any existing patch. Generally, I'd set #1 for gain boost, and #2 for modulation. If I wanted anything different, I'd generally have to build another patch. The Helix has eight modifier switches on it, so can set up a lot more modifiers— pretty much like having an eight pedal board for every patch.

There are eight "setlists" on the Helix. I plan to use one for each band that I play with, which ought to cover it with about two left over for "whatever". Each setlist has room for 128 patches. If I need more than that, I'll start charging a lot more money for my cover bands \:D

The signal routing is much better, and it has XLR outs, rather than having to use a DI box. I took all of the sounds that I used on Friday with one of my rock bands, and placed a Vox AC15 amp model at the end of the signal chain. I used it in the praise band this morning in that configuration, going directly to House and IEMs, and the result was, if you'll pardon the joke, heavenly.

The freakin' Leslie simulator is to die for. I used it at today, and it just blew me away.

It behaves a LOT more like a real amp when you dial your volume control back.

As far as being "better" or "worse" than the VG-88… well, that's a matter of personal opinion. \:D

The GT-10 is now getting its last data backup, then it'll be reset to factory programs. In a couple of months, I'll take it to GC as a trade in for a new ________ (fill in the blank)

#1530504 - 05/15/17 01:31 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: guitartb]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: guitartb
The answer is yes. It goes well both ways… reminds me of one of my old girlfriends \:D

#1531437 - 05/21/17 10:25 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
Liquidirt Offline
Planet Dirtball
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Mooseboy
 Originally Posted By: guitartb
The answer is yes. It goes well both ways… reminds me of one of my old girlfriends \:D

I find using a nice clean tube amp helps. Wadda ya think Mooseboy?

#1531443 - 05/22/17 01:48 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Liquidirt]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

LD, I've just been experimenting with the "snapshots" function in the Helix. The Helix is now officially a "cold dead hands" gadget for me, as in, "You can have it back when you pry it from my…"

So, for example, let's say that you have a Mesa/Boogie IV amp simulation with the standard cabinet. Your "Clean" snapshot has the amp at a low gain setting with the Master up rather high, with a touch of chorus and reverb.

You then move to another snapshot (Semi-Dirty) which has the gain up higher, the Master a bit lower to level out the volume difference, ditch the chorus and reverb, and bring in a bit of transistor tape delay at 90 ms. with zero regeneration.

Then of course, you need a (Solo) snapshot, which has more gain, a bit lower Master, an OCD pedal, reverb, and a 450 ms. delay with 40% regeneration.

All of the final levels are controlled by the EXP pedal, of course.

Like I said, cold dead hands \:D

#1531444 - 05/22/17 01:57 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
Liquidirt Offline
Planet Dirtball
Planeteer

Hey lookie, cold dead hands!

But seriously Moosey, you're going to have to do some video samples. Soon. Or else cold, dead....

#1531445 - 05/22/17 02:01 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Liquidirt]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Yeah, you're right EllDee! Just as soon as I gets me some time to do it. \:D

#1531447 - 05/22/17 02:18 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Whoops, I've been so focused on this one aspect that I forgot to answer your question, EllDee

Yes, you can easily set it up to act like a "regular" pedalboard and play it straight into a nice tube amp. I should do a demo with it into my '76 Fender Champ.

#1531460 - 05/22/17 03:50 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
Liquidirt Offline
Planet Dirtball
Planeteer

Just seems like my VG-88 cuts through much better through a nice clean tube amp, like a twin. Running it straight through a PA seemed to get lost in the mix during live performances. The tubes gave it a nice warm tone.

#1531467 - 05/22/17 10:27 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Liquidirt]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Well, there's really two points of view on that…

If you're talking about what you hear onstage, and if you're not running IEMs or a very good wedge/sidefill system, I can see how running direct to FOH would leave you feeling like it's getting lost.

But if you're talking about what's being heard in the house, and your FOH man isn't a total anti-guitar nazi, then the mix might sound just right.

With some bands I play with, I try to cut out as many of those variables by running directly to FOH, keep my guitar mix up in my IEMs, and run an FRFR system onstage at a semi-low level.

#1532389 - 05/30/17 11:28 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

ALL BOW TO THE POWER OF THE HELIX + VARIAX!!

This is amazingly cool in my book. I'm doing a festival with a singer/songwriter next weekend, and one of his songs has a Ricky 12 through a compressor into a clean amp with a good dose of plate 'verb for the intro and verse sections of the song. The chorus and middle eight have a Les Paul through a Marshall with no reverb.

So what does a conscientious Moose do? He connects the Variax to the Helix with a VDI cable (really just a network cable), and dives deep into menuville.

Long story short, I have a new patch for that particular song. Footswitch #1 has a clean Ricky 12 with all the proper accouterments, Footswitch #1 has the Les Paul with all of the correct settings.

This bastard is NOT going back!

#1532398 - 05/31/17 12:37 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

https://youtu.be/GdNu5vDUvfU

#1532399 - 05/31/17 12:37 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Isn't it awesome when a piece of gear exceeds your expectations?

Glad you're loving it Moose.....

....however, aren't you running out of time to send it back?

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1532402 - 05/31/17 12:58 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: MadGuitrst]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

hahahaaa! Well played, MG!

I have June 13 marked on my calendar as "Keep or Return Helix" day. That one's gonna go right by \:D

#1533424 - 06/09/17 01:31 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Just got back from rehearsal, and the drummer of the band who has a great ear (he also runs sound and records for other bands) was shaking his head in disbelief about how accurate the Helix sounded.

Yeah, I like this thing.

#1533425 - 06/09/17 01:38 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
Liquidirt Offline
Planet Dirtball
Planeteer

Nice!

#1533430 - 06/09/17 02:14 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Liquidirt]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
The drummer is not allowed to like a guitar amp. If he does, it obviously is underpowered. \:\)
#1533442 - 06/09/17 04:18 AM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Popmann]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Yeah, he can't hear and has no idea what he's talking about.

Just the fact that he said he likes it means I would send it back asap.
Here comes the buyer's remorse! \:p

I'm glad you like and happy you finally kept something for once.
Now, us honest citizens won't have to pay for your endless rentals

Seriously, Moose....congrats!!!!

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1533816 - 06/13/17 01:32 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: MadGuitrst]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Today is "Keep or Return Helix Day".

I'd better do some deep soul searching to see if I really want to keep it \:D

#1533817 - 06/13/17 02:01 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Loc: California
Musicianomics

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.
Gear: Fender Medium pick

#1533828 - 06/13/17 03:35 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: motown59]
pbrowne Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Loveland,CO,USA
moose, have you tried the line 6 HD-500X?

just wondering if it compares at all w/ the Helix - I can't afford a grand but a used one @ $300 maybe.

#1533831 - 06/13/17 04:14 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: pbrowne]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Just wait for Mooseboy's Helix to be in the classifieds. \:D

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1533840 - 06/13/17 05:33 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: pbrowne]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: pbrowne
moose, have you tried the line 6 HD-500X?

just wondering if it compares at all w/ the Helix - I can't afford a grand but a used one @ $300 maybe.
Pat, I bought the Line 6 HD-400 a couple of years ago, and even though the sounds were wonderful, I couldn't get "my" sound out of it.

https://youtu.be/4WivCte2iYI

So the amazing sounds and flexibility are there for sure, I think it just depends on what you're needing from it.

#1533853 - 06/13/17 07:15 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: Mooseboy]
guitartb Offline
Planeteer

Pat, I've been using the HD500 for the last few years. Plan to trade up to a Fractal or helix in the next year or so. But the HD has been mostly everything I need for live gigging. The only thing I miss is the speaker pickup interaction on distorted sounds. Going to look at a small full range powered speaker to overcome that part.

Everything on this youtube channel in the link below is the HD500 recorded direct.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyAQsusaCjpcuz_M4tBvMQ/videos

#1534205 - 06/16/17 04:35 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: guitartb]
pbrowne Offline
Planeteer

guitarb, thx for the link. i bought a used HD500 from reverb.com - if i can get 1/2 of the sounds you get i will be very happy.

#1534409 - 06/18/17 06:06 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: pbrowne]
guitartb Offline
Planeteer

Not meaning to hijack Moose's thread, but It's got a lot of sounds and pretty deep. The presets are not where it's at with the hd500, the best sounds are built from the ground up. Keep refining it till you're happy. It takes some time and on the job tweaking. Be sure to go into the amp edit screen where you can control sag, bias, bias excursion, etc. That stuff will get the response like you want it.
#1534420 - 06/18/17 08:59 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: guitartb]
pbrowne Offline
Planeteer

i promise i'll be bugging you for tips.

#1534436 - 06/18/17 11:43 PM Re: The Helix LT is NOT going back! [Re: pbrowne]
guitartb Offline
Planeteer

Cool, will send you my whole patch library too, if you want it. Okay now we officially hijacked his thread.😜
Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159757 Topics
1849662 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.035 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.