Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1242950 - 09/11/13 10:36 PM Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now?
europa_man Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
I just discovered the Reaper program last week. I'm reading this old report on how to Export Roland VS Files to your PC using Reaper and this plug-in plus cd2Roland. All the links are out of date and do not work. Can someone who is using this method point me to the right location to find these files. I'm using a Vs-880ex & a VS-1680. This has been probably discussed a millions times but all I find is are these old instructions. Can someone send me the update scoop on this. I've installed the Reaper program. Thanks Eric

Edited by europa_man (09/11/13 10:37 PM)

#1243071 - 09/12/13 07:40 AM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: europa_man]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
Email me and I will send you the package with the standalone VSWE program, the CD2ROLAND ripper, and the reaper .dll
#1243742 - 09/15/13 09:14 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: bear]
europa_man Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you again for the package - all is well!
I'm very impressed!
Great work.
Eric

#1248663 - 10/07/13 02:43 AM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: bear]
K8ch Offline
Space Cadet

Bear,

I noticed you'd made a gracious offer to europa_man, and I was hoping you'd be willing to offer me one, as well.

Frankly, it's kind of an emergency.
I transferred all my music from my VS-1680 to Reaper about a year ago. Last week, my hard drive crashed. Very bad.
Now I find that my backup copy of my Reaper songs have a lot of " *.VR6" types of files, on it.
Converting these files is the ONLY way I can get back my music.

I downloaded a "reaper-VS.dll" file and I went to place it in the Reaper plugin folder...there was already a copy of it, there.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I -really- need to access these files since this is the only copy.
I read somewhere that I could click on the "Song.VR6" file, and choose "Convert"...but I never saw that option.

I hope you get a chance to read this, as I'm not optimistic the data-recovery folks are going to be able to salvage much from my hard drive...

Peace,

K8ch (Keith)

Any suggestion you can make would be very, very welcome.

#1248678 - 10/07/13 03:15 AM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: K8ch]
K8ch Offline
Space Cadet

NEVER MIND.... IT'S FIXED!

Just had to install a 32-bit version of Reaper, that's all.

Now...how do I convert these to a .WAV file, so that I won't have to concern myself with all this?

So grateful for you folks that share your knowledge.
You're all lifesavers !

Peace,
K8ch

#1248689 - 10/07/13 04:09 AM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: K8ch]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
To convert tracks to .wav in reaper use "render" - the render screen is under the FILE dropdown....

OR use VSWE and bypass reaper if all you want is .wavs, might be easier.

#1248747 - 10/07/13 01:17 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: bear]
K8ch Offline
Space Cadet

Bear...

Thank you.
Yes, I think I'll convert them. I've used "render" before, to create final stereo tracks, but not to turn the VR6 files into wavs files.
It's probably a simple thing to do.

By the way....whether or not you know it, it was YOUR comments that helped me resolve this problem, and I am grateful.
Coincidentally, one of my best musician friends was nicknamed "Bear", and he'd passed away a year and a half ago. I found it wonderfully ironic that the solution to my music issues came from someone nicknamed "Bear".

I know that might sound a little creepy...but I found it really cool.

Thanks again for taking the time to help!!!

Peace,

K8ch

#1263853 - 12/08/13 08:04 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: europa_man]
FunkyBeat Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
 Originally Posted By: europa_man
All the links are out of date and do not work.

Hmmm, I wonder where you were looking. All the links I have posted in the Reaper Sticky thread and in the 1680 forum are still working fine.

#1526593 - 04/11/17 09:09 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: FunkyBeat]
Pat Pillay Offline
Planeteer

Hi

I tried using the cd2roland ripper app, and get a number of tracks which seem to have some data (property shows non-zero file size), but there is no audio data in Reaper. Tried the same thing with the VSWE app with the same result.

Please help!!

Many thanks

#1526598 - 04/11/17 09:27 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: Pat Pillay]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Not sure if you understand how to use those tools (as in previous experience with them), or if you know what file needs to be read bey either VSWE, or the Reaper .dll in order to extract .wav files, or open the VS Song....... Can you be more specific?

What model VS are you using?
Could you confirm that the ripper completed its rip successfully?
Did you use the ripper as part of VSWE, or with the dos command (so we can get a clear picture of what might be going on)?
Did VSWE appear to be doing its job of extracting .wav files for you and did the resulting files show zero bytes in size, or did you get some sort of error message - what did it say, if you did?
What happened step by step when you tried to open the VS Song in Reaper..... give us the process you went through up to the point of Reaper not working...

Also, what record mode are these VS Songs in?
What file from the ripped disc folder did you try to open in VSWE and Reaper?

Windows can give you very little help in determining what you got from the ripped CD, but any Take files the ripper created should be at least some MB in size, not bytes or KB, unless the Song was very short.

Edited by uptildawn (04/11/17 09:36 PM)

#1526679 - 04/12/17 04:32 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: uptildawn]
Pat Pillay Offline
Planeteer

Hi -thanks for the response.

I am using a VS1680 in this instance. I also have a VS2400CD which I would also want to be using to move files from.

I used the ripper from command line, and it completed successfully. I ended up with a number of .VR5 files which VSWE does not seem to recognise.

I then tries to rip from CD in VSWE and ended up with a number of wav files which I dragged and dropped into Reaper. The file sizes are showing as MB in windows, but there is no audio info in Reaper.

Thanks again for the help :-)

#1526740 - 04/12/17 11:44 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: Pat Pillay]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Interesting..... to say the least.
I don't recall anything about VR5 files being readable in either tool's documentation..... can you confirm that those are actually the type you just reported to us?..... I'm sure that 1680 files are VR6, by the way.

Interesting that you were able to extract .wav files using the ripper from within VSWE and then (I assume) continue the extraction with VSWE - which means you understand which file from the ripped disc you are supposed to be viewing in VSWE (or is that automatically a given...... maybe it is..... I don't recall at the moment)......

If you have the Reaper .dll and have it installed in Reaper's effects plugins folder (as described in the instructions for it), then have you tried opening one of the ripped VR files in Reaper? It should open all the VS TAKES as track/channels in its main window (as if they were .wav files). You should be able to figure out how to render individual .wav files (or others from the list) from those tracks, if you desire, or simply work in Reaper to create a mix, etc.

How long are the tracks in the original VS Song (on the VS itself)? If over two or three minutes, each .wav file should be in the 10s of MB, I'm pretty sure.

You still haven't said ----- what record mode did you use? That also makes a difference in size, as does sample rate.
Certain record modes don't work...... especially the LIV modes, but there are some others, depending on the VS machine.

Not sure why VSWE won't recognized the ripped files done from the command line........ maybe there's a version problem in either the ripper, the VSWE, or both...

#1527033 - 04/17/17 06:40 AM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: uptildawn]
Pat Pillay Offline
Planeteer

Hi UTD

Yes, you are quite right - the 1680 files are VR6 :-)

I went through the process again, and found the error: was supposed to pack before export. Once I did that I was able to generate the wave files that I pasted into Reaper and was then able to access them.

One thing though - they were not in the correct order - i.e. they did not start from VT1.1, etc. Trivial of course as it is quite simple to rearrange them in any order you want.

Thanks again for the help!! :-)

#1527039 - 04/17/17 02:06 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: Pat Pillay]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Never heard of needing to Pack before - tried it just now...
Guess you mean that the .exe that is created by Packing then has to be put in VSWE to export the .wav files.... it's the only thing I could figure to do with it and that worked fine, as you said.

Curious though, why I've never had to use Pack and it was never suggested to me to do so. I've always just used the Export button. Maybe packing first could help avoid some of the event error problems I've run into from time to time - might have to see if I can find one of those again and re-export.

Anyway, glad it works for you now.

You should also be able to open the SONG.VR6 in Reaper directly, if you have the Reaper .dll and have it copied into Reaper's effect plug-ins folder, but it's not necessary, since you don't really gain anything by doing so... except maybe the tracks would be in order. \:\)

#1530177 - 05/11/17 01:46 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: uptildawn]
mudfishmusicgroup Offline
Space Cadet

Can someone help point me in the right direction to find the downloads to convert VS files to Wave... I changed computers and somehow lost the original downloads. Thanks
#1531562 - 05/23/17 02:21 AM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: mudfishmusicgroup]
mike gouthro Offline
Planeteer

Loc: toronto,ontario,canada
I second that request.
#1531588 - 05/23/17 12:05 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: mike gouthro]
dkfackler Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Coventry, OH, planet Thulcandr...
http://www.ps139.com/vs880ex/util

You may get screaming warnings from your antivirus software, but the site and downloads are safe.

dk

#1531734 - 05/24/17 03:48 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: dkfackler]
mike gouthro Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: dkfackler

You may get screaming warnings from your antivirus software, but the site and downloads are safe.

dk

I tried the red screen details link which claimed you can download at your own risk but when I tried that, I got a download message on the bottom of my PC screen stating that Chrome had blocked it - with only a "discard" option provided - no way around it that I can see.

#1531740 - 05/24/17 04:38 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: mike gouthro]
mike gouthro Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: mike gouthro
 Originally Posted By: dkfackler

dk

I tried the red screen details link which claimed you can download at your own risk but when I tried that, I got a download message on the bottom of my PC screen stating that Chrome had blocked it - with only a "discard" option provided - no way around it that I can see.

I just tried internet explorer and it does not produce the malware warning that chrome did. I'll report back later.

#1531743 - 05/24/17 05:12 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: mike gouthro]
mike gouthro Offline
Planeteer

Foiled. My Norton detected a problem and deleted the file before I could unzip it.
#1531814 - 05/24/17 11:44 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: mike gouthro]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
Mike, Mudfish, and others...

I think I have a copy which will not trigger the antivirus. I got it from bear when I had a similar problem in the past. Will check my external drive for it.

Starliner

Edited by Starliner (05/24/17 11:50 PM)

#1531815 - 05/24/17 11:48 PM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: Starliner]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
Found it. PM me with an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Starliner

#1658635 - 05/15/20 12:09 AM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: bear]
papablue Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Detroit,MI
I'm having trouble...Program will not open for me in W7...Could you please send me the stand alone files...Thank You the package with the standalone VSWE program, the CD2ROLAND ripper, and the reaper .dll...I'm trying to get my VS-2480 up and running.

#1658644 - 05/15/20 12:54 AM Re: Reaper VS Plug-in & Cd2Roland - Where Are They Now? [Re: papablue]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

What do you mean by - the program will not open for me -

Which of the three are you referring to?

Did you get the download okay and with no complaints or interference from antivirus programs?

Did you store the zipped folder somewhere on your hard drive, or an external drive - other than your desktop?

Did you unzip the compressed folder into a place where you could easily locate it (preferably in the same place as the compressed folder)?

Did you create a desktop shortcut of the VS Wave Export.exe file for simple access to the program?

Did you then insert a VS backup CD into your pc's optical drive? Did you then double-click the VSWE shortcut icon (or the actual exe file in the uncompressed folder) to open it and go to the EXTRAS menu to call up the Rip From CDR item and create the CD2Roland rip destination location on your hard drive?

Did you then run CD2Roland to extract a backup from your CD?

Did you then either extract wav files from the SONG file that CD2Roland created in your destination folder, using VSWE, or did you open the SONG file into Reaper, after first properly copying the .dll file into Reaper's FX folder?

Which one (or ones) of these steps did you try and which/where didn't the process work for you?

Getting the individual program files from Starliner will not resolve whatever issue you experienced and may actually be more difficult to download.

Speaking of downloading...... were you required to change the name of the compressed folder after downloading it to your hard drive (or saving it, as the case may be)? In otherwords, were you supposed to change the extension of the zipped folder to say .zip, maybe?

Do you have your win7 set to show file extensions? If not, you need to turn that on so you can see and edit the file extension name to .zip, if it doesn't say that already.

Give us a proper set of details and we can help walk you through this.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159834 Topics
1850415 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.033 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.