Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1534878 - 06/23/17 12:57 AM vsr 880 hd 'v-track' confusion
roland880vsrhd Offline
Planeteer

I have the rack mount vsr 880-hd. I am looking for help in finding out how to use the v-tracks along with the main tracks at the same time. In other words, when i record something on track 1 then record something on v-tracks on track 1 I can't find a way to mix and listen to them all at the same time. I can only select and play back tracks individually. Not sure what I am doing wrong here. The user guide and owners manual only instruct me how to switch them on and off. Does anyone know how to mix and listen to multiple tracks with v-tracks recorded on them? Thanks very much any help is appreciated.

#1534882 - 06/23/17 01:52 AM Re: vsr 880 hd 'v-track' confusion [Re: roland880vsrhd]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
It is not possible on any digital recorder that uses virtual tracks to playback both the main/active track and its own virtual tracks simultaneously. You are probably not doing anything wrong, but you do need to understand that only the "active" track can be audible for any given channel.

There are a multitude of ways that people use to arrange things when they need more playback tracks than they have playback channels. Chief among them is probably track bouncing - which if you don't already know, essentially mixes the content of multiple playback tracks down to one, or two (in the case of stereo mixes) channels/active tracks. This can potentially free up those individual channels to access their virtual tracks to make them active for playback, along with the newly bounced/(submixed) channels.

Basically, you need to understand that only active virtual tracks can be played back and that in order to use other virtual tracks at the same time, something will have to be bounced to free up track/channel space to access those virtual tracks.

Hope this gets you started on a solution for your own situation. Be sure to read up on track bouncing at least and experiment with it to find out how it might help you.

#1534892 - 06/23/17 02:48 AM Re: vsr 880 hd 'v-track' confusion [Re: uptildawn]
roland880vsrhd Offline
Planeteer

Thanks you so much for the reply. I will experiment with track bouncing, it is a feature I have not used yet. I am most grateful for the knowledge.

#1534893 - 06/23/17 02:55 AM Re: vsr 880 hd 'v-track' confusion [Re: roland880vsrhd]
roland880vsrhd Offline
Planeteer

So track bouncing is the process to use when you want to take all your v-tracks and bounce them on to the main tracks so they can be mastered and burned to a cd. If so that's what I'm trying to figure out how to do. Thanks again.

#1534895 - 06/23/17 03:59 AM Re: vsr 880 hd 'v-track' confusion [Re: roland880vsrhd]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
I thought about mentioning that relationship... it is very relevant.

You can bounce any number of active tracks to a single track or a stereo pair of tracks at any stage of the recording and mixing process. It's mostly done to common instruments and/or common purpose instruments - say to individual pre-mix drum mics to a stereo submix, or to create a stereo pan of rhythm guitars, or similar instruments. Premixing background vocal parts and percussion would also be likely candidates for track bouncing to conserve space and open up more tracks.

There are many, many variables to consider when preparing for bouncing, too. It's a good practice to try out the mix blend on a short segment to check the end result before doing the full length of a song, for instance. You will also probably need to figure out how to route effects when track bouncing... be sure to consider that when setting up for it, because it's easy to get fooled into thinking you've bounced an effect and find out later that the bounce was recorded dry instead.

Also, plan on storing the original instrument tracks on unused v-tracks, so that if it turns out that you make an error in judgment about the blend when you begin your final mix stages, you can more easily go back and perform a bounce again. Sometimes you might even preconceive of more than one possible mix blend and want to create a couple versions of a bounce on v-tracks of the same channel/pair.

Make stereo blends as wide as you like while bouncing, since it's fairly easy to reposition their stereo width and relation to center by narrowing and panning later on, but not so easy to widen....

Consider pre-setting your bounce mix operation by using the automix features. It's worth taking the time to set up snapshot automation points and even gradation changes to happen while you listen to the bounce being created, rather than trying to perform a live mix during the bounce, like a person would have been obliged to do on an analog mixing desk and a tape machine way back when.

#1534945 - 06/23/17 08:37 PM Re: vsr 880 hd 'v-track' confusion [Re: uptildawn]
roland880vsrhd Offline
Planeteer

thanks again for the useful information. My scope of knowledge using this unit is basically recording on it and burning it to a disc. There are so many features and options I feel like you need a degree to figure it out. This has been very helpful and I look forward to getting back at it again.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159880 Topics
1850999 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.034 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.