Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
The Dying Guitar

#1534939 - 06/23/17 07:19 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: C Jo Go]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
I blame Nirvana and Mesa Boogie. ;\)

Gruhn is wrong about Mayer's lack of influence....I know--I benefited from the Mayer bump when I sold my old BlackBox Bluesbreaker pedal for $300 that a few years earlier wouldn't have fetched $25. Just yesterday, I went to shop for a Flint reverb/trem pedal and found people selling it for over retail....and $10 less....and on a hunch I thought "I bet Mayer's using it"---sure enough, I googled like Mayer pedalboard 2017---Flint is the only reverb he's using for his new reverb-less PRS amp.

THat said, Mayer is my little sister's age....so not exactly influencing the youth of the world.

But, sure--electric guitar will be identified as a twentieth century instrument of "The recording age" of music. RIP.

#1534940 - 06/23/17 07:31 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Popmann]
moontan Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Sol III
soon, all your instruments with out of tune Equal Temperament will become obsolete in the New Order! lol

#1534947 - 06/23/17 08:48 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: moontan]
fabulousthunderbird Offline
Planeteer

It's been dying along with the rest of the music industry since the 80s.

Old story, sad nonetheless.

I am fonts

#1534948 - 06/23/17 08:51 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: moontan]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Loc: California
Although the title says "guitar" the article makes it clear they are talking about the electric guitar-saying acoustic sales are now more than electrics. Which is the way it was until about 1970.

I think of the guitar as the instrument of the Americas. Americans and Mexicans who can find so much to argue about, can find common interest in the guitar. I suspect that the conquistadors and Spanish missionaries all brought along guitar players.

I've often wondered who was buying all of these guitars and assumed it had to end someday. It's true that in an era of instant gratification and equipment which does all the work for you, few young people see any point to learning the cycle of fourths. But it is cyclical.

I agree that it is the lack of guitar heros that has meant less interest in the guitar. My prediction is that eventually there will be a band which uses the G tuning five string Keith Richards uses but sounds original. And then the rock/blues guitar will make a comeback.

The guitar itself will never die and the reason is obvious. There is simply no other instrument like it. Created as a solo instrument rather than an orchestral, the Spanish Tuning is genius and the modern electric takes it to a new dimension.

Unless, of course, somebody ever comes up with a workable guitar synth.

#1534950 - 06/23/17 09:02 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Slabraton]
fabulousthunderbird Offline
Planeteer

Maybe AI will someday separate you from your cash using "name you fav guitar hero here" boxes you simply plug into your recorder and the thing cranks out guitar parts for your stuff that sounds like what they would do.

I am fonts

#1534969 - 06/23/17 11:45 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: fabulousthunderbird]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
I don't think guitar is dying. It was used before big bands, in big bands, folk, blues, and everything since. Which means it caught on, and will probably be heard in everything from now on. As long as people love to play it? It will continue.

The approach to music in a pop sense is probably what you hear. That gets old and tedious to me long before a guitar track does. That might need to get outside the box, which, IMO, has nothing to do with guitar. It has more to do with artists and producers and listeners who can open their minds.

#1535066 - 06/24/17 09:43 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: rhythmace47]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Maybe the reason "the guitar is dying" is because of so many asshole guitarists who pretend that they can play Faster And Louder than anybody in history and pretend what they do is High Art. It's focking pop music, folks.

I got bored with guitar heroes after Hendrix died.

#1535084 - 06/25/17 12:06 AM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Slabraton]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
Django

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (06/25/17 12:07 AM)

#1535200 - 06/26/17 03:28 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: C Jo Go]
amiller Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Wilmington DE
Maybe it's because the guitar hero is just not that special anymore. You can find a ton of shredders on youtube that would blow your mind in the 70's but now it's just "meh, seen that...booooring."

I don't feel that way. Guitar is very magical for me. But, I bet a lot of young folks have been so inundated by the shear volume of "gifted" guitar players that they just don't see them as anything special anymore...nothing to see here...move along.

And,of course, todays pop just doesn't celebrate the guitar as the center of that style anymore.

#1535203 - 06/26/17 03:55 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: amiller]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I think the article IS just saying the part about pop music's lack of celebration.

The guitar hero thing was short lived. I made a joke that's funny because there's truth in it....Nirvana brought (back) amateur hour playing to rock....and Mesa ushered in an era of effect processors and switching tones mid song that (together with players like Edge) has culminated redefining the role of the guitarist---as a kind of ambient soundscape maker --rather than rhythmic and harmonic foundation and/or soloist.

I didn't change. I begrudgingly added a tape delay pedal to my board after repeatedly being asked for "something more ambient" or "something more swirly"....way too little too late. I'm a GREAT rhythm guitar player. that's history. Being able to sync into the pocket? Connect the chords seamlessly and greasy? Nope. The role now is downstroke 1/4 note dirty power chords....alternating to effect soundscapes.

#1535204 - 06/26/17 03:56 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Popmann]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Which I neglected to point out---the public rightfully doesn't hear as "electric guitar"....so, THAT will phase it out. Right now--there are SO many players with SO many pedalboards and multiFX....it's cheaper/easier to hire them to do it....but, without the identification....comes no new players.
#1535209 - 06/26/17 04:21 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Popmann]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
Seems a shame to be sure. But then again, it does create more work for those of us that are still playing \:D

#1535214 - 06/26/17 05:06 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Mooseboy]
moontan Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

back in the days, being a musician with exposure was hard work.

nowadays, anyone with a computer and an internet connection can become a musician with exposure.

personally, i think it's a good thing.

#1535215 - 06/26/17 05:10 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: moontan]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Yeah, well… define "musician" \:D

#1535221 - 06/26/17 05:54 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Mooseboy]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Commanda, Ontario Canada
Moon has a point there. Guitar rose to prominence in the 30s and 40s as a "portable" instrument that allowed a singer to self accompany in any setting. The emergence of folk music may be attributed to this - especially as the music took on the role of social and political commentary. (Think of people like Woody Guthrie, Malvina Reynolds etc.)

The performer could play anywhere - campfires, hobo camps, and political rallies for example. You couldn't haul a piano around back then and set up anywhere. Banjo was also popular (Pete Seeger), but was probably not as versatile as guitar. And aren't we all glad that banjo didn't become the instrument of choice? )

Guitar was the "social" instrument. The advent for anybody with a computer and social media meant that it's role was diminished.

Never mind, Just give me a B and I'll flatten it myself.

Andy on SoundCloud

#1535227 - 06/26/17 06:07 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Andy McClelland]
ickalien Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Denver
If I remember correctly Mooseboy defines musicians as people who play musical instruments except drummers. Right?

I think the role of the guitar will bob up and down within the present context of the day, but not die. I doubt it will obtain the lofty heights of the 60's thru 90's. There will be nostalgia crazes here and there. I'm looking for a big impact coming from the clarinet and accordion maybe the tuba.

#1535228 - 06/26/17 06:11 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: ickalien]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

Banjo!!!!!

Andy on SoundCloud

#1535229 - 06/26/17 06:13 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: ickalien]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A drummer.

What did the drummer get on his IQ test?
Drool.

How can you tell when the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling out of both sides of his mouth.

How do you know when there's a drummer knocking on your door?
The knocking keeps speeding up and they don't know when to come in.

Why do drummers keep their drumsticks on the dashboard?
So they can park in handicapped spaces. (this is a new personal favorite!)

Did you hear about the bass player who locked his keys in the car?
It took him an hour to get the drummer out.

But all kidding aside, a great drummer (as opposed to a guy who owns a set of drums) is a wonderful thing. One of the guys that I work with is so aware of arrangements that you can tell whether you're going into a verse, a chorus, a channel, a middle eight, or a solo just by the fill he uses. I always tell him it's like he's playing with marshalling wands.

#1535233 - 06/26/17 06:48 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Mooseboy]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

What has three legs and an asshole?

A drum throne.

Andy on SoundCloud

#1535248 - 06/26/17 08:08 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Andy McClelland]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Andy McClelland
Banjo!!!!!

\:D

#1535254 - 06/26/17 08:34 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Popmann]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Popmann
I think the article IS just saying the part about pop music's lack of celebration.

The guitar hero thing was short lived. I made a joke that's funny because there's truth in it....Nirvana brought (back) amateur hour playing to rock....and Mesa ushered in an era of effect processors and switching tones mid song that (together with players like Edge) has culminated redefining the role of the guitarist---as a kind of ambient soundscape maker --rather than rhythmic and harmonic foundation and/or soloist.

I didn't change. I begrudgingly added a tape delay pedal to my board after repeatedly being asked for "something more ambient" or "something more swirly"....way too little too late. I'm a GREAT rhythm guitar player. that's history. Being able to sync into the pocket? Connect the chords seamlessly and greasy? Nope. The role now is downstroke 1/4 note dirty power chords....alternating to effect soundscapes.

You mention Edge but not Pat Matheny?

#1535255 - 06/26/17 08:35 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: moontan]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: moontan

nowadays, anyone with a computer and an internet connection can become a musician with exposure.

I'm dying of exposure.

#1535256 - 06/26/17 08:38 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: C Jo Go]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: C Jo Go*Crystal Studios*

Great picture but I notice all of the people in the picture are men. I guess Django didn't attract a lot of groupies.

#1535259 - 06/26/17 08:44 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Andy McClelland]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Andy McClelland
What has three legs and an asshole?

A drum throne.
Okay, THAT'S my new favorite!

#1535260 - 06/26/17 08:44 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Slabraton]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Slabraton

I'm dying of exposure.

#1535271 - 06/26/17 09:11 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Mooseboy]
moontan Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Mooseboy
 Originally Posted By: Slabraton

I'm dying of exposure.

well, there's also the other side.
these days, there's so much music it's like trying to find the needle in the haystack.

#1535323 - 06/27/17 02:51 AM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: moontan]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

More like the magical coffee bean in a pig farm "lake".
#1535342 - 06/27/17 04:40 AM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Popmann]
Timster Offline
Artist #'s - 130, 298, 412
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Center of the Universe
Maybe, just maybe the market is flooded. Vintage guitars seem to interest most players, whether they are actually better or not.

Who is going to throw away a guitar? There is probably a million used guitars for sale on any given day.

Maybe the guitar companies need to LOWER the price.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-jensrud/tracks

#1535368 - 06/27/17 04:19 PM Re: The Slow Death of the Guitar [Re: Timster]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I'm not making the connection....you talking about the small bit about guitar sales being to older people? That's a side effect of it not being remotely hip or cool to younger people.

No?

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159757 Topics
1849660 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.