Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#1559622 - 01/26/18 07:56 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: SteveW]
WRC,Jr. Offline
Planeteer

Loc: San Antonio
Steve, no problem. Our deadlines are flexible.

My Albums

#1559685 - 01/27/18 11:57 AM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
ulank Offline
Forbidden 404 Not Found
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, IL
 Originally Posted By: WRC,Jr.
Ulank, rough drafts are what we are looking for. There is no time to second guess yourself.

Ok bassist and I laid something down last night. I kept fíing up the structure so itís got problems, but I may try adding some vox to it. Not sure about drums.

#1559730 - 01/27/18 04:26 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: ulank]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Commanda, Ontario Canada
Song written except for some lyric changes. Beds, lead (and only) guitar and scratch vocal done. May or may not add piano. Right now it's a power trio.

Andy on SoundCloud

#1559751 - 01/27/18 07:00 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: Andy McClelland]
WRC,Jr. Offline
Planeteer

Hey Andy, I was getting ready to ask how everyone was progressing. Glad you're making progress.

I wrote my lyrics last night. I made major changes today as I was trying to sing them. I got the chord progression done. I think I have the final drums. I will have to re-listen tomorrow. I need to record instruments and real vocals.

How is everyone else doing?

My Albums

#1559754 - 01/27/18 07:24 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
ulank Offline
Forbidden 404 Not Found
Planeteer

I got the chicken and Brussels sprouts in the oven. Getting ready to cook the pierogis.

So, I should have about 6 measures done by 5pm tomorrow.

#1559756 - 01/27/18 07:40 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: ulank]
WRC,Jr. Offline
Planeteer

Don't forget to tune the chicken down a half step before recording. You get better low end that way.

My Albums

#1559757 - 01/27/18 08:24 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
ulank Offline
Forbidden 404 Not Found
Planeteer

Good point.

Well now Iím full and tired.

Perfect inspiration for singing.

#1559762 - 01/27/18 09:20 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: ulank]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Loc: Rhode Island
Got enough to post tomorrow.

#1559817 - 01/28/18 01:28 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: SteveW]
ulank Offline
Forbidden 404 Not Found
Planeteer

Well golly gee, I drummed up some pretty good (IMO), and sometimes ridiculously silly, lyrics last night and got some vox tracks down.

I want to try to sneak in a short four bar gtr solo, but Iím making a bunch of enchiladas today so not sure if Iíll get around to it.

Otherwise, I should be able to post something late tonite or tomorrow morning.

#1559824 - 01/28/18 03:18 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: ulank]
Mike Musgrove Offline
Planeteer

Loc: DFW Texas
I wrote a quick Jimmy Reed type shuffle to use in learning ProTools this weekend and I remembered this post. So... here's my offering. Guitar, Vocals, and MIDI everything else.

PSA: I haven't yet mastered ProTools.

Edited by Mike Musgrove (01/28/18 03:20 PM)

#1559830 - 01/28/18 05:18 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: Mike Musgrove]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Here's mine

t's called Everybody but I have no words yet.

Oh I forgot you can embed this.

Edited by SteveW (01/28/18 05:20 PM)

#1559832 - 01/28/18 05:44 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: SteveW]
WRC,Jr. Offline
Planeteer

Here is mine:

History From The Mist
© 2018 WRC, Jr.

ĎGlyphs were etched on ancient walls
ĎBout civilization's rise and fall
They find relics they unearth
Ruins that tell of death and birth

In times before the written word
What we knew is what we heard
Lore was passed from faís to sons
Through generations, history was born

Through learning and dedication
We gathered information
Our ancestors must exist
We revealed history from the mist

Today weíre awash in the info age
The torrent of data has us enslaved
Historyís future canít be denied
We canít be judged if we cannot provide

The wisdom we send to the cloud
As much as is allowed
Too much noise and static persists
History vanishes in the mist

Edited by WRC,Jr. (01/28/18 05:45 PM)

My Albums

#1559834 - 01/28/18 05:57 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
Wish Administrator Offline
🌴 VSP Moderator 🌵
Planeteer

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I didn't have much time this weekend to work on the project...I knocked this out today in a couple of hours...an instrumental with a few guitar tracks and a hand drum, based on a few different guitar parts that have been bouncing around in my head and fingers for a few years now.

Edited by Wish (01/30/18 07:20 PM)

#1559836 - 01/28/18 06:42 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: Wish]
WRC,Jr. Offline
Planeteer

Mike - Never In A Million Years. I got a big smile on my face right now listening to this!

My Albums

#1559837 - 01/28/18 06:49 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
WRC,Jr. Offline
Planeteer

Steve - Everybody. This is really cool Steve! I think the first word of the lyrics should be everybody. \:\)

What is your process for writing lyrics after the music is done. I have a real problem when I write the music first.

My Albums

#1559838 - 01/28/18 06:54 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
WRC,Jr. Offline
Planeteer

Wish - I could not get audio when I clicked the plat button on your player. I clicked the link to the Soundcloud page and was able to listen. This is very nice!

My Albums

#1559844 - 01/28/18 08:25 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

Here be mine.

Did it really happen? Cuz sometimes we don't care
But I was there and so were you is it time to clear the air?
Time may heal all wounds but I'm not convinced
And if it really happened we threw caution to the wind

Will tomorrow say it was all a big mistake?
An endurance test to see what we could take
I'd hate to fail I hope we passed it's science and some math
A questionnaire about the angle of the past

So we sing a song of loneliness from some forgotten address
Living in the wilderness filling up some emptiness

So I guess it really happened can't deny the facts
But itís just a circus and there will be another act
I stopped by the gypsy tent to get my fortune told
She said "it costs a dollar and I tell ya if you get old"

So we sing a song of loneliness from some forgotten address
Living in the wilderness filling up on some emptiness

Andy on SoundCloud

#1559847 - 01/28/18 09:07 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
🌴 VSP Moderator 🌵
Planeteer

Wish - I could not get audio when I clicked the plat button on your player. I clicked the link to the Soundcloud page and was able to listen. This is very nice!

There is some "dead air" at the beginning of my track for about the first 17 seconds.

I'll try and fix that tomorrow sometime.

#1559875 - 01/29/18 08:58 AM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Steve - Everybody. This is really cool Steve! I think the first word of the lyrics should be everybody. \:\)

What is your process for writing lyrics after the music is done. I have a real problem when I write the music first.

Thanks Bill \:\)

I usually either hum or whistle a melody till I like it, then come up with words.

I'll be back later to listen to everyone else's.

#1559881 - 01/29/18 10:10 AM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: SteveW]
ulank Offline
Forbidden 404 Not Found
Planeteer

Yeah, sounding good so far guys. Iíll listen more intently and share thoughts later.

And Iíll be posting mine shortly.

As far as writing lyrics, Iím similar to Steve. To me, itís much harder to write the lyrics first and then try to fit it to music. Iíve done it before, but the norm tends to be music first, then lyrics. Main reason being, the music dictates the meter of the vocals/lyrics. I figure out the rhythmic pattern of syllables that fit best to the music. Iíll sing gobbly gook to figure that out and also the melody. But usually the melody is also pretty much automatically there based on the music. Itís not like I try to write the melody, I just abide by what the music inherently says it needs to be. \:\)

Once Iíve got the meter and melody figured out, then itís just a matter of writing lyrics using word choices that fit, so you donít end up with a vocal that sounds like youíre shoehorning in 4 syllables when thereís only room for three...or youíre having to awkwardly stretch out one or two syllables, probably on an odd sounding vowel or filler word (ďthuuuuuuuuuhĒ).

#1559885 - 01/29/18 10:52 AM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: ulank]
ulank Offline
Forbidden 404 Not Found
Planeteer

OK, here's mine.

As noted, bassist and I laid down the instruments on Friday night. Just a quick capture, no click.

Since I kept f'ing up the structure, there's a few spots where the bass sounds lost, but it's totally my fault, not his. \:\)

I wrote the lyrics Saturday night in a couple hours. They are simultaneously profound (possibly ), and pretty silly (profoundly silly? )

They're kind of an homage to the difficulty in writing lyrics, and the practice of singing gobbely gook words and phrases to figure out the meter and melody (hence I keep a few of these in the song ;\) .)

I don't want to ruin the surprises, so I'll post the lyrics later. \:\)

#1559887 - 01/29/18 10:53 AM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: ulank]
ulank Offline
Forbidden 404 Not Found
Planeteer

And oh yeah, somehow the melody in the chorus ended up being just like "Girls" by Beastie Boys.

#1559939 - 01/29/18 04:58 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: Wish]
🌴 VSP Moderator 🌵
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Wish

There is some "dead air" at the beginning of my track for about the first 17 seconds.

I'll try and fix that tomorrow sometime.

I eliminated the 17 seconds of silence at the beginning of my track. I feel a little bit like Nixon.

#1559940 - 01/29/18 05:19 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: Wish]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Mike

Never in a Million Years.

This is a great beginning for a Blues Song! Kinda sound finished to me?

#1559942 - 01/29/18 05:22 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: SteveW]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Bill C

I like this quite a bit but also sounds completed?
Did I get this wrong? I thought this was rough then finished in Feb?

#1559943 - 01/29/18 05:23 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: SteveW]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Andy M

You have the best sound I've ever heard. Love pretty much everything you do and this is no exception. \:\)

#1559944 - 01/29/18 05:26 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: SteveW]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

ulank

Love it man. \:\)
Oh and tell your Bass player he rocks!

Are ya gonna put drums in?

Funny line with OJ and JB \:D

#1559946 - 01/29/18 05:29 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: SteveW]
SteveW Offline
Steve White
Planeteer

Missed yours so listening now...

Wish

That is some very nice guitar playing there buddy. \:\)
Bongos? Pretty good too.
Man! You have a pretty clear sound too! Nice bump note.

Liked all of these.... Anymore?

#1559953 - 01/29/18 06:23 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: SteveW]
WRC,Jr. Offline
Planeteer

Andy - Did It Really Happen. Very cool! It sounded like a stew of reggae drum grove with some country guitar licks in a blusish chord progression. Very mellow feeling and as usual great performances.

My Albums

#1559955 - 01/29/18 06:29 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
WRC,Jr. Offline
Planeteer

Ulank - The Thing. Loved it! I can imagine some really heavy drums to this with a lot of starts and stops.

My Albums

#1559957 - 01/29/18 06:41 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: SteveW]
WRC,Jr. Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: SteveW
Bill C

I like this quite a bit but also sounds completed?
Did I get this wrong? I thought this was rough then finished in Feb?

Steve, thanks for your comments. My goal was to get lyrics, music, and some kind of an arrangement this past weekend. I will be re-recording this song at some point.

My Albums

#1559971 - 01/29/18 08:37 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: WRC,Jr.]
marshallamp63 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abilene,texas
https://soundcloud.com/marshall-williams-866812101/im-doing-all-right

This is my song "Im Doing All Right".
Chorus

"I'm doing all right", is what I always say

That's my answer these days

I look fine from the outside

But I'm dying on the inside

I'm doing all right is what I always say

Verse

I spend most days all by myself

Like some forgotten book sitting on a shelf

Staring out the window of my empty home

Lord I hate being all a lone

Pre Chorus

There used to be somebody

a long long time ago

People from my past

they always stop and ask

And I always say

Chorus

"I'm doing all right", is what I always say

That's my answer these days

I look fine from the outside

But I'm dying on the inside

I'm doing all right is what I always say

Lead Break

Chorus X2

Tag

I'm doing all right is what I usually say

Edited by marshallamp63 (01/29/18 08:38 PM)

#1559983 - 01/29/18 10:43 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: marshallamp63]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

Mr Musgrove - Cool - like what I would expect to hear in some some smokey roadhouse around midnight.

Mr White -cool groove going on there.

Mr Cantell - very cool lyrics

Mr Wishart - Quite mesmerizing. Wonderfully played.

Mr U - this is really good. Great vocals. Cool lyrics.

Mr Marshal - wow. Great lyrics and delivery. Nice guitaring.

Andy on SoundCloud

#1559990 - 01/29/18 11:45 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: Andy McClelland]
ulank Offline
Forbidden 404 Not Found
Planeteer

Thanks fellas.

I'll take Andy's approach:

Musgrove = agree with Andy on the vibe...real strong singing. Nice solo and git playing.

Steve = Needs lyrics. \:\) Solid structure. Sounds happy go lucky at times, but takes a melancholy turn on that descending riff. Sounds like Everybody is both happy and sad. \:\) \:\(

Bill = catchy lead guitar riff. Cool lyrics indeed. Might be the most complete tune here, so you win for being most prolific and productive with your weekend! \:\)

Wish = this is good. You can build on this for sure. Dig the descending arpeggios starting around 0:48 and 2:20. Might be hearing some compression pumping on the mix though?

Andy = Nice clear mix. Dig the guitar tone, and playing is very nice, as always. I'd say it's a keeper!

Ulank = WTF is wrong with you?

Marshall = I'm not much of a country fan (sorry \:\( ), but I dig the depth and tone of your voice. It's comforting. \:\) As with wish's, might be hearing some compressor action on this? Nicely put together tune.

Nicely done all around fellas.

And thanks for the motivation Bill ...been a while since I've done much of anything with music.

#1560076 - 01/30/18 03:48 PM Re: New recording project, Write and record a new song last weekend of the month [Re: ulank]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

A note (or two) about my contribution:

It started out as a finger picked folky tune but quickly changed (hence the changes). I originally had the reggae guitar back beat beat on this version, but in the end it just didn't seem to work. The bass line is not pure reggae - it's some sort of Latin groove that I learned about 30 years ago (and it's morphed since then). The drumming is pretty much reggae - kick and cross stick on the 1/2 time offbeat.

The lyrics could use some tweaking but on the whole I like them.

The harmony vocals on the chorus are too hot. And the mix could be hotter.

Guitar is the 335 (it plays itself \:\) ). Given the changes it came out countryish and that was intentional. Bass is the fretless P.

Also note that I couldn't resist throwing two 1/2 (m7b5) diminished chords in there.

Andy on SoundCloud

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Wish 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 95 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Al
Silversmith
Timster
Tom Mix
NOK
Popmann
gonzo
Ismellelephant
Mooseboy
Doughboy
moontan
flatcat
paulb
C Jo Go
RGR
Marty Gilman
fabulousthunderbird
fonts
Gretsch 6120
vvvm
String Jammer
glensimonds
Vanillagrits
T57Strat
GAMBLE
Jammer
SteveW
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
JazAddict
Delso
LakeStone Karl
Liquidirt
Dave Morris
Dan Barnes
virtualan
kid-surf
Forum Stats
20860 Members
29 Forums
136018 Topics
1566600 Posts

Max Online: 226 @ 03/21/16 07:30 AM
Newest Members
dave11222, GerryDev, JOHNCARLOBELLOTTI, EuroDD, LiveWire
20860 Registered Users

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.