Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1564780 - 03/05/18 09:32 PM Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition
powermac Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Houston, Tx
Ok, I realize this may sound like a dumb question, but I need advice on how to safely erase a few mastered (stereo) songs from a partition on my hard drive. Thanks to Franks help, and this forums help, I know my way around the 2480 pretty well, so I understand how to erase a song even though I've never done so.

I was just hoping to get concrete advice here before erasing. The concern is that I have a very important song on the same partition and can't bare to lose it in case I erase incorrectly.

#1564784 - 03/05/18 10:51 PM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: powermac]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
2 ways to go about it...

1- to bulk erase
first backup anything on that drive partition that you want to save. Back up to another partition, or to an external drive and/or make a project/song backup to CD or DVD, if you have a way to do so. Backing up what you want to save to more than one destination (having more than one copy) is always a good thing, if you can do so.

Then, after backups are confirmed (check to see that they load and/or play), erase all the songs/projects on that ONE partition - DO NOT FORMAT!

OR

2- Erase each song/project individually using the Project Erase function. ONLY erase those projects you don't want to keep. The remaining projects will stay on the drive and untouched. DO NOT FORMAT!

Better still - back up everything on the partition before erasing anything, just in case you should want to revisit those songs you think you no longer need to keep. One way to do so would be to copy the projects to another partition on the same physical hard drive, if space allows. Then erase all the projects on ONLY the original partition. DO NOT FORMAT THE HARD DRIVE.

Only use format to wipe the entire hard drive clean!
That means ALL partitions will be wiped. There is no function to reformat only single partitions - regardless of Roland's questionable use of the word "drive" to indicate a partition on a hard drive.

#1564798 - 03/06/18 12:25 AM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: uptildawn]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

Perfect! I've done the backups, and confirmed. Am still looking to keep that one song on the partition since it's active with the band right now. Just needed a confirmation and you gave to me. Thanks buddy.
#1564815 - 03/06/18 04:04 AM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: powermac]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

not a problem. It'd be worth the few minutes it takes to make incremental backups/copies to spare partitions as you go - like at the end of every session, make a copy of the current state of the project to a second partition (beside whatever other backups you're doing). As space is needed, you can dump/erase older copies since each new copy will contain all of the previous material.

But by keeping a copy of the last day's work on an extra partition, it's quite easy to fix most major errors you could encounter... like tracks accidentally getting erased and not accessible with UNDO, because you can simply call up the stored backup that's already on the hard drive.

#1564870 - 03/06/18 10:39 PM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: uptildawn]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

That's a great idea! I've actually done it before, but not for those reasons. I've made the stupid mistake of erasing or undoing a track from the previous weeks session, and didn't realize it until it was to late. Would have been great to have the previous weeks recording backed up somewhere.

Question. By creating these backups and erasing them weekly, will it cause noticeable fragmentation of the drive?

#1564878 - 03/06/18 11:28 PM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: powermac]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Oh probably over time... but that's a good reason to have backups on some other media off the machine as often as is possible, or convenient. I don't use the 2480 and correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems I recall hearing that the 2480 doesn't have a defrag routine like a pc does - it's format only, right? And that means the entire drive at once.

I think one of the best solutions out there for creating and maintaining backups/copies of projects is the software/hardware VirDis. It's still only PCI and PCIe and only Windows, but it works Soooooooo well.

Either that, or another fairly painless solution is to use a SCSI external hard drive enclosure with whatever format of hard drive you could find to be compatible - used to only be scsi, or ide hard drives.....

But if you read up on some of the threads on the 2480 forum you will find that some people are successfully using SSD drives - they're using them as internal drives, but I could definitely see the benefit of having an external drive to copy project to on a regular basis. If the drive is removable, too, then you could actually store a running backup up system on say a monthly or quarterly routine (or whatever you feel safe with), using 3 or 4 drives that get recycled over and over.

It'd be fairly simple to copy an entire internal drive over to a backup on the scsi port periodically, although a bit time consuming if not VirDis. Then it'd be a really painless routine to reformat the internal drive periodically to avoid issues with fragmentation, which can be nasty from what I recall reading.

#1564884 - 03/07/18 12:25 AM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: uptildawn]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

I've been reading up on VirDis, and that's the route I'm going to take. That way I could backup to several hard drives... And yes, the 2480 doesn't have a defrag option, only format. My problem with formatting is that I'm not sure if it erases the OS. My 2480 came with no backup OS disc. Since I've never formatted the drive am not sure what's affected.
#1564934 - 03/07/18 02:34 AM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: powermac]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I don't think the os is stored on the hard drive, but I do know that fx from the 3-cards are stored there. If you use any 3-cards, I'm sure you must make backup copies of the discs that should have come with the cards and wiping the drive also wipes the fx.

#1564960 - 03/07/18 02:04 PM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: uptildawn]
Big Ian Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Gloucestershire, UK
OS is not on the hard drive.

Ian

#1565052 - 03/07/18 10:07 PM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: uptildawn]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

Uptildawn, I'm actually using four 2 cards, but I do have a buddy that has a 3 card that he's giving me for some session work (vocals) I'm doing for him. Sounds like I might want to wait to load it, although would love to try the 3 cards mastering tools on my current project.

Would the 2 cards be affected at all if I format?

Thanks for the info Ian. Relieved to know I don't need the OS on CD. Wasn't sure if there was even such a thing.

Edited by powermac (03/07/18 10:14 PM)

#1565054 - 03/07/18 10:14 PM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: powermac]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

the 2 cards are not affected.
read up on the 3 cards and learn what you need to know to keep them secure, 'cause it will really matter.... there's discs, hard drive, etc. info you need to be especially aware of - although I don't know the specifics, myself.

somebody will point you to the info, I hope.

#1565083 - 03/08/18 01:02 AM Re: Safely erasing a song from hard drive partition [Re: uptildawn]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for the info. Think I'll wait on installation of the 3 card until I know for sure.

Again, thanks for your replies. They've helped me in learning my 2480.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159876 Topics
1850923 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.