Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1568101 - 04/03/18 03:49 PM Another TAO Mastering question
VirDISDeveloper Offline
VirDIS® author
Planeteer

Loc: Galveston, Texas, USA
Using a 2480 to output 1 track (TAO mode) the recorder asks if "another" should be written. My assumption is that it is referring to another track - correct? Not to pad content to that track, right? If true, then it is unfortunate for our coding efforts as it does NOT issue a 'CloseTrack' command to tidy things up, if one responds with 'No' :(. Is the normal user expectation to later go back and add another track, if one responds 'No'? For now our code is going to assume that that track is now closed - unless I hear otherwise from someone.

#1568124 - 04/03/18 05:25 PM Re: Another TAO Mastering question [Re: VirDISDeveloper]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Iowa
Helloooo -
on the 1680, the write dialog includes a selection/choice to tick for finalize, don't finalize, or only finalize (this would only be chooseable when writing TAO, as opposed to DAO, where the disc is automatically finalized. Choosing to not finalize is what leaves the disc open to adding more tracks (or repeating the same one), but not to pad the existing track just written.

However, the prompt to "write another?" is in reference to writing another DISC, while the converted track data is still in memory - it is not asking if you want to add more tracks. Choosing NO ejects the disc (leaving it unfinalized, if requested at the outset) and dumps the temporarily saved converted data.

I'm sure it must "close" the track, while at the same time allowing for additional tracks to be added later - as in choosing multiple songs from multiple projects, without having first copied them into a master session to write one complete DAO, as would/should be done for duplication and/or release.

Just to be sure, I tested this by telling it I wanted to write another, when prompted, and letting it write another copy of the same song to the one disc I used at the start. Predictably, it wrote another copy of the same track, did not finalize (because I didn't change the settings) and then spit the disc out and asked if I wanted to write another - disc...

2013 Iowa City JazzFest sets!
Dr Lonnie Smith Trio w/Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar
Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio
These are post mixes set to single camera video (by Rich Rauch).

#1568141 - 04/03/18 11:45 PM Re: Another TAO Mastering question [Re: uptildawn]
VirDISDeveloper Offline
VirDIS® author
Planeteer

Loc: Galveston, Texas, USA
Well, I have to tell you that you kind of contradicted yourself there my friend. In para 2 you said it meant "writing another disc". Then in para 4 you said you tested it and it wrote "another copy of the same song" i.e. a track. So from the text of their prompt and your test I'd say it meant another 'track'.

Re: para 3 I have to tell you that I observed the SCSI command stream and (at least on my 2480) there was NO 'close' issued. It does multiple 'unload medium' commands but no 'CloseTrack'. For DAO it _does_ issue this command (same opcode) but with a switch to end the session rather than track.

#1568159 - 04/04/18 08:09 AM Re: Another TAO Mastering question [Re: VirDISDeveloper]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Iowa
okay - so I don't know what "closed" means in this sense then... I just meant that it doesn't mean that more material can be added to the track just written and that any further writing would constitute a new track and would either have to be a second writing of the already converted track (which is what I did), or would necessitate a completely new conversion process of a new track, before it could be written - adding it to the open/unfinalized disc.

I actually did NOT contradict myself - I was hoping that my specific use of the words "writing another disc" would be understood to be different than "writing another track".

In my test, I simulated writing "another" when it asked, by writing another to the same disc - in other words, when it finished writing the first track (leaving the disc unfinalized) it spit out the disc as it always does and asked if I wanted to "write another?".

In my test, I answered "Yes". The VS closed the burner tray and accepted the disc as though it were a brand new one - because it doesn't differentiate when writing TAO method... and then it went about happily creating a second copy of the already converted track onto my disc. It would not have mattered if I had put in an actual new disc - I was just saving a few pennies by not using a new disc.

If I'd said "No", then it would have closed the operation and dumped the temporarily saved conversion - which it always does when you say No to writing another requests... and which it indeed di the second time, when I actually chose No.

So - long story short - when the VS asks "write another?", it means write another disc - not track. It can NOT write another/different track without first converting assigned new tracks and making them ready to burn to a disc. It would require an entirely new burn session and the old conversion would have been dumped.

2013 Iowa City JazzFest sets!
Dr Lonnie Smith Trio w/Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar
Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio
These are post mixes set to single camera video (by Rich Rauch).

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
3 registered (Dave Morris, Mooseboy, 1 invisible) and 7 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Al
Silversmith
Timster
Ismellelephant
Tom Mix
Mooseboy
gonzo
Popmann
NOK
moontan
C Jo Go
Doughboy
flatcat
Marty Gilman
paulb
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
fonts
Gretsch 6120
Vanillagrits
vvvm
String Jammer
glensimonds
T57Strat
GAMBLE
Jammer
SteveW
JazAddict
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Dave Morris
Slabraton
Liquidirt
Delso
slotz
Milkman
LakeStone Karl
Forum Stats
21182 Members
25 Forums
142691 Topics
1648993 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 11/19/19 07:32 PM
Newest Members
Neve, Mr Multi, WDupley, Mike Cloud, AC4AQ
21182 Registered Users

Generated in 0.028 seconds in which 0.022 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.