Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1569529 - 04/21/18 01:49 AM How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff?
FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4 Offline
Planeteer

been back here and getting stymied HALP!

I have a good PC now.

I have my VS1680 files.

What next? Explain it to me as though I am a baby elephant

#1569530 - 04/21/18 02:57 AM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
So, what form are your 168 files? - backup CD-R?, SD or CF card?, internal hard drive?, external (scsi case) hard drive?

Internal hard drive is the trickiest in my book - I don't like to chance hooking up an internal VS drive to a pc.

The other three forms can be dealt with using VS Wave Export (VSWE) - assuming that you can get VSWE onto your computer. There are caveats...

1- http://www.thegoodlibrary.com/VSWaveExport.php - this website still has the final version (well, the final version that almost everybody has used - there's another, but I forget who hosts the download link now) and as far as my computer and Microsoft essentials is concerned, it's clean - no virus warnings (they're false positives, but spooks everybody).

2- VSWE (and the accompanying CD2Roland CD ripper) only work on PC, not mac....... they may also only be 32bit (I'm not sure, because I don't use a 64bit pc).

3- When you download it to the location you want to keep it on your computer, you will first need to add the file extension .zip to the file name in order to open/extract the program files.

4- There are instructions on how to use it on both the goodlibrary webpage you download VSWE from and even more detailed in this Roland VSWE help folder I've linked to here - https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApQxVDASwyuYiX9D4irfwiGJu2Bs

5- I don't recall if people here have tried it successfully on windows 10, but I can confirm that it works on windows 7 and XP.

6- the pc doesn't have to be all suped up to use VSWE - if your PT daw works on it and it's not a mac and not 64bit, I'm pretty certain it will work just fine.

7- If you're using backup CDs, then you will follow the instructions for ripping the backups to the pc using the CD2Roland ripper tool included in one of VSWE's menus (the extras menu?). Once ripped, you will follow the instructions for extracting .wav files to the pc using VSWE. Once extracted as .wav files, you will import them into your PT daw and you're off and running.

8- VS files on CF or SD card, or external hard drive, or internal hard drive for that matter, would be dropped directly into VSWE to extract .wav files, which can be imported into PT - no use for the ripper in those cases.

There are a couple alternatives to this basic method, but let's just say this is both the cheapest and most direct - IF you can download VSWE and get your antivirus to not complain that's there's a Trojan, or other virus in the package - which there's is not.

Personally, I'd start with VSWE and if it works for you, then you don't require much else.

Worst case - you can record the output of your VS into your PT rig the long way......

#1569531 - 04/21/18 03:03 AM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: uptildawn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Oh - and another caveat - some people say after trying to open VSWE, they get a missing file message from windows, which I don't recall the name of but which somebody JUST posted about here on the 1680 or 2480 forum..... the file can be found various ways and copied into the necessary windows system folder easy enough - just getting a clean copy of the file may be tricky these days..... look for that thread/post I mentioned and I believe they may say where it can be found....... only if you should need it.......

#1569585 - 04/21/18 05:20 PM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: uptildawn]
FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4 Offline
Planeteer

Thanks!

Yes, CD backup, Windows 7 ... thanks a ton.

Going to try all that - thank you for distilling in one spot

#1569691 - 04/23/18 01:10 PM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4]
Heartwaves Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Georgia or somewhere in the k...
What do you do to put these files into Pro Tools on a Mac?

#1569693 - 04/23/18 01:38 PM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: Heartwaves]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Heartwaves
What do you do to put these files into Pro Tools on a Mac?

Converted tracks are .wav file format, so they import into a mac system with no problem. The only thing is that they need to be converted using a Windows platform first, because there are no mac versions of the tools.

#1569734 - 04/24/18 12:02 AM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: uptildawn]
Heartwaves Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Georgia or somewhere in the k...
A windows platform? Is that something I can download into a mac for conversion purposes?
Thanks

#1569742 - 04/24/18 02:43 AM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: Heartwaves]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I know that some people make a dual boot mac/windows system using special software that allows a person to install windows on a mac..... I don't recall the programs I've hear of before - Bootcamp may be one of them?

That's as close as I know to get to a program that can convert VS files into and for importing into a mac.

#1571875 - 05/21/18 07:24 PM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: uptildawn]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

Loc: at the wave ranch dressing
halp! Do I have to copy the VS1680 CDR files into my PC?

https://youtu.be/P5Dhkz7471E

#1571889 - 05/21/18 08:59 PM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: FlametopFred]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I'm not sure what you're asking now, FlametopFred.
You last said - 1680 backup CD, Win 7, going to try all the suggestions I posted above your post.

How much have you tried to do so far?
Do you have any of the program/tools we've been talking about to use on a pc in order to get the 1680 files?

You need to spell out what you've done so far.
If all the farther you've gotten is to back up some SONGS from the 1680 to CD-R, then you've got a ways to go before you can do anything at all with them on a pc.

You can't simply open or copy the VS files from a CD to the computer. That's assuming that Windows would even recognize the VS CD files as something it can display or copy - which it doesn't.

Give us some steps you've taken.
Be as clear as possible, because without specifics we're as clueless as you.

I'm assuming all this time that you have a reason for wanting your VS files on a PC - Do you have a need, or just wanting to experience?

Edited by uptildawn (05/21/18 09:00 PM)

#1571952 - 05/22/18 03:33 PM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: uptildawn]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

This is the part that hangs up:

"When I try to run the program I get a message 'The file mscomctl.ocx is either missing or incorrectly installed'
mscomctl is Microsofts Common Controls collection used by many programs. If you have'nt got it already installed you can install it on your computer, a negative effect to your computer DAW is very unlikely:

1. Download MSCOMCTL.OCX or find it someones PC and copy it.
2. Back up your current copy of MSCOMCTL.OCX (If you have it?) and copy the new version to the same file location. This file should be located in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory on your C: drive (for Windows NT and 2000: \WINNT\system32).
3. Using your mouse, click on the "Start" button and then click on "Run".
4. According to your Operating System, type the following command to register this library file:
Windows 95, 98, or Me:
regsvr32 \windows\system\MSCOMCTL.OCX"

I to move all my VS files for mixing on ProTools and then getting rid of the VS1680. Going to remix all the VS1680 songs, put them on bandcamp. Get rid of the VS1680

all the VS1680 song files were backed up to CDR
I have a Windows 7 PC.
I have a Mac with ProTools.

I have downloaded all the transfer files, but cannot get them to open or work properly.

Mostly I am confused as to which link works best, I kept getting download errors and virus warnings.

#1571953 - 05/22/18 03:35 PM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: FlametopFred]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

Also this error here:

http://www.virtualscsi.com/virdis.htm

"Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

#1572036 - 05/22/18 10:37 PM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: FlametopFred]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Okay - the simplest solution to your immediate problem would be to get that missing MSCOMCTL.OCX registered on your Windows PC. Once you have that done, then you should be able to use the CD2Roland utility found in VSWE to rip the backup CDs. Once a backup CD is ripped, the SONGS show up in VSWE's main window and you can begin the process of exporting the SONG tracks in .wav file format onto your PC. And once that's accomplished, you can import/open them in any DAW of your choice - Windows, or MAC - and go to town.

Forget all the other issues for now.

Is your Windows 7 PC a 32 bit or 64 bit system?
You can see the info by right-clicking on the My Computer icon on your desktop.

Once you know what system you have, the next step is to find and download/or copy the MSCOMCTL.OCX file to your computer as instructed in the info you posted above.

Have you checked to see if the file exists somewhere already on your PC? An easy way is to open your C-drive and do a keyword search for that file name: MSCOMCTL.OCX. You can be more specific and choose to search in the Windows folder on the C-drive, or even the System folder inside the Windows folder, on your C-drive. But if you're just not sure at all, you could even search every location on your computer, just to discover completely.

If you don't find it anywhere then you need to find a copy to put on your computer.

If you find it on your computer, then you need to make sure it's copied to the correct System folder - either System32, or whatever it's called in the 64 bit system. Once you're sure it's copied there, you can follow the remaining instructions you posted -
3. Using your mouse, click on the "Start" button and then click on "Run". - In case you're confused here, they mean your computer's START button - the Windows icon at the bottom left of your taskbar.

4. According to your Operating System, type the following command to register this library file:
Windows 95, 98, or Me:
regsvr32 \windows\system\MSCOMCTL.OCX"

The simplest and most sure way to get the register command correct would be to simply copy and paste the line from those instructions - regsvr32 \windows\system\MSCOMCTL.OCX

I'm pretty sure you do not want the quotes at the end of OCX

See how that goes - and then either get busy with learning how to rip the CDs and extracting .wav files, or post back and try to give specific info on what you did and what happened as a result.

The more details, usually, the better.

Edited by uptildawn (05/22/18 10:40 PM)

#1580007 - 08/05/18 08:26 PM Re: How do I/Where do I find the VS1680 .wav to DAW (ProTools) correct stuff? [Re: uptildawn]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

thank you
thank you
thank you

I got it all working now and VS-1680 tracks in ProTools sound really good. Already remixed an older song done on the 1680. The vocal in particular sounds way better ... the sound was there, just never got the right mix in the 1680.

I can't quite tell you what I did ... I just kept going back, rereading instructions, following all your advice. Finally it all just clicked and the tracks started to flow like sluice water into a Roman viaduct. The parched recording land is now flooded, green and growing.

thanks!!!

I am going to transfer all VS-1680 files, then sell the VS-1680 if anyone here is interested.

consolidating all my formats, downsizing into efficient footprint

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159833 Topics
1850409 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.034 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.